Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

14 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I don't believe we (the player) ever get to read the content of the love letters, just the quest clues associated with them. Unless there's something I'm missing.

Their flavor text if you go to the storehouse is in quotes, and it appears to be the entirety of the contents of the letter.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Their flavor text if you go to the storehouse is in quotes, and it appears to be the entirety of the contents of the letter.

I'll have to review it the next time I'm doing one of those quests. I rarely actually open up the Storehouse to look at whatever's within. Based on your description, perhaps it's in quotes because it's what the sender told the Professor about the letter? I dunno, it just doesn't seem especially in-character (at least, for what little character's there) for the Professor to open up and read a letter that isn't intended for them.

Of course, this is underscored by how stupid the whole premise of "deliver a love letter, but it's not addressed to anyone in particular, but the map will direct you to its intended recipient" is.

27 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'll have to review it the next time I'm doing one of those quests. I rarely actually open up the Storehouse to look at whatever's within. Based on your description, perhaps it's in quotes because it's what the sender told the Professor about the letter? I dunno, it just doesn't seem especially in-character (at least, for what little character's there) for the Professor to open up and read a letter that isn't intended for them.

Of course, this is underscored by how stupid the whole premise of "deliver a love letter, but it's not addressed to anyone in particular, but the map will direct you to its intended recipient" is.

The flavor text is, quotes included: "You're so gallant, and you love your family. Your smile is just so wonderful and charming, I think I'm in love!"

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

The flavor text is, quotes included: "You're so gallant, and you love your family. Your smile is just so wonderful and charming, I think I'm in love!"

Oh, okay. I didn't realize the text in the Storehouse was addressed to "you". In that case, it sounds like the contents of the letter.

It's a shame we can't deliver the letter to the wrong person, thus enabling some serious high school romantic hijinks. Like, suppose Caspar gets the letter instead, and has to ask Linhardt on how he should deal with the heartfelt feelings of Incidental #121.

1 minute ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Oh, okay. I didn't realize the text in the Storehouse was addressed to "you". In that case, it sounds like the contents of the letter.

It's a shame we can't deliver the letter to the wrong person, thus enabling some serious high school romantic hijinks. Like, suppose Caspar gets the letter instead, and has to ask Linhardt on how he should deal with the heartfelt feelings of Incidental #121.

I have to assume that the fact that high-school sitcoms haven't been invented yet is the only reason why none of these teenagers think getting someone else to deliver their love letters with vague instructions could possibly go wrong.

Three Houses Day 27: Chapter 7 Week 2

Alright, paralogue time.

I'm gonna use my third seal on Flayn, because I'm pretty sure we don't have room for her yet and this is probably a wise time to use her as an adjutant to get her darting blow without having to fi-

...And I don't have any fliers other than her to adjutant her onto. Okay, so that wasn't wise. Alright, let's see how this goes.

I'll do the Ingrid and Dorothea paralogue. Let's see...

Funny how this scene has Dorothea and Professr run into Ingrid at the same time. I didn't notice it before because it made more sense in Black Eagles, but now this implies Professr just happened to strike up a conversation with a member of a different class she doesn't even have a C support with right before running into Ingrid.

It's funny how Ingrid is open about the kinds of letters she gets from her father now, when in her C support with Professr she was hiding that info.

But yeah, it's a marriage proposal from a nouveau riche merchant who wants to marry into the Galatea family, which has a powerful family name and a Crest bloodline but serious financial woes at the moment. Poor nobility marries rich commoners, basically the Corpse Bride situation.

Ingrid: He's offered a sizable dowry, so I must at least consider it – for the sake of my family.

Yeah, that line there is where I got my impression of Ingrid being at least more-on-board-than-average with the marrying-for-crests status quo. Recent supports have made me doubt this somewhat, but...

Yeah, so, there are a lot of nasty rumors about this guy that Dorothea thinks they should go investigate first before talking to this guy. Well, more she already nearly entirely believes them and is just trying her best to be fair when saying they're just rumors she can't prove. So we're gonna go off to get some dirt on him.

Dorothea: Great! Let's tell the others.

She says, as if she's a part of Professr's class.

Anyway, yeah, this feels a lot more natural when Dorothea's the one you have and Ingrid is the guest.

...Right, so... now we're in a volcanic wasteland.

With only one enemy on-screen.

Because this map decides to take the worst of both worlds of pre-and-post FE7, having the prep screen before half the story, but also not showing you what the map's actually going to look like once the story happens either!

What the fuck am I supposed to do with this prep screen? Why does it even matter where I place my units if I can't even see the ones they'll be fighting?

And also I can't fit Leonie and Flayn onto the team at once, even after dropping Ashe, so... guess I'm dropping Annette for a battle too. She's fairly high-level, so she doesn't really need the exp at the moment. With that, I can adjutant Leonie to Professr, and we can get going.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, forging a weapon costs the same whether it's full or nearly broken, so forging nearly-broken weapons is pretty efficient, and repairing them first is pointless.

Dorothea's opening dialogue makes it plain that... we were investigating this guy... in a fucking volcano. And Dorothea and Ingrid talk absurdly vaguely about all the stuff they just learned about him... in a volcano... so we still know literally nothing about what makes this guy so bad.

And now the enemies show up... apparently sent by the merchant...? Whose name we still don't know...? And now apparently he thinks he can just... “grab Ingrid”...? But like, what? Like, even from a totally shitbag-y villain perspective, the most he can do with a kidnapped Ingrid is... what, exactly? Use her as a breeding slave to get a kid with a crest? First of all, what the actual fuck, and second of all, then what? He can't openly participate in high society and enjoy any of the prestige that comes with being part of a Crested bloodline if he doesn't marry Ingrid above-board! If he just takes Ingrid in the literal sense, rather than through the “proper channels” of backwards medieval marriage practices, the kingdom nobles aren't going to suddenly invite you to their fancy parties just because you got a Crest-bearer pregnant! I know things were shit back then, but this just seems several dozen shades too ridiculous even for back then!

...This would be a hell of a lot less confusing if we knew literally any of this guy's crimes or what specific evidence we have that could ruin him if we escape, y'know.

Oh, and looks like he's on the map. As an unnamed priest simply called “merchant”.

...Aaaand I forgot to bring Dimitri. He was put at the bottom of my deployment list where I couldn't see him because of last chapter. Fuck.

Oh, and I have the answer to that question I asked earlier in the playlog: turns out that yes, chests do shrink when you view them zoomed in. At least in Three Houses.

Ingrid: That merchant is giving orders to the bandits! I bet if we take him out, reinforcements will cease!

...It's hilarious how I'm genuinely not sure if that's actually the merchant we've been talking about, or some other merchant giving orders to the bandits that the merchant hired. The way they talk about him, I could believe either one.

Ingrid just managed to one-round a fighter with thoron, so that's cool.

Oh yeah, restore in this game is a fortify-type ability that affects everyone in range. Probably to make up for it being rare?

Okay, most of my army is going south, but I send Professr, Mercedes and Flayn east after “the merchant”. Usual deal, Professr softens up, others finish off while healing Professr.

...Oh my god that was hilariously stupid. So, at the end of enemy phase, a bunch of enemies spontaneously showed up, twirling their weapons... one after the other... absurdly slowly. And then, after something like upwards of ten seconds of this... then Dorothy screams “it's an ambush!” like they came quickly. Of course, there's another set of reinforcements that are much more of an ambush, but I don't seem to have triggered them yet.

...But that massive group that did show up wound up being too much for my army to handle. I tried to take a gamble on a gambit to subdue more enemies than I had units, but it missed, and now I'm sunk.

...Yeah, uh, sorry, today hasn't given me as much time for an update as I hoped, so I think I'm gonna have to call it here. I'll try this again tomorrow.

Stay safe, everyone.

Edited by Alastor15243

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

With only one enemy on-screen.

Because this map decides to take the worst of both worlds of pre-and-post FE7, having the prep screen before half the story, but also not showing you what the map's actually going to look like once the story happens either!

What the fuck am I supposed to do with this prep screen? Why does it even matter where I place my units if I can't even see the ones they'll be fighting?

Yeah, I hate this. If I recall, the Casparcedes paralogue does this too. I set up my starting arrangement so that Wyvern Lord Petra could reach the Death Knight on turn one... only to see monsters get in the way, blocking her path. I hope this particular "surprise" never comes back.

...It's hilarious how I'm genuinely not sure if that's actually the merchant we've been talking about, or some other merchant giving orders to the bandits that the merchant hired. The way they talk about him, I could believe either one.

I've always interpreted the Suitor to exist off-screen, with all the troops seen in the battle those under his employ. But it's possible the on-map "Merchant" is him.

And yeah, it's really frustrating that we (the player) don't know his name, nor his crimes, even though Dorothea and Ingrid appear to be aware of both. I'm not even demanding a unique portrait, just call him "Mendel" or something, and say he "uses orphan slave labor". As it stands, the scenario is like Radiant Dawn's 2-2, but not fleshed out at all.

Dorothea's opening dialogue makes it plain that... we were investigating this guy... in a fucking volcano. And Dorothea and Ingrid talk absurdly vaguely about all the stuff they just learned about him... in a volcano... so we still know literally nothing about what makes this guy so bad.

My assumption is, this is still Ailell (rather than a curious Ailell look-alike), and it just happens to be the most direct path back to the monastery. Which is at least plausible, if Merchant von Noname was living in Galatea territory. That said, if this is supposed to be Ailell, it makes the discomfort and uncertainty with which your army views Ailell post-skip untenable. We've already been there, so what's with the fear?

Oh yeah, restore in this game is a fortify-type ability that affects everyone in range. Probably to make up for it being rare?

I like the "effects everyone in range" aspect of Fortify. Really makes it a good response to enemy gambits (assuming you survive to the next player phase). That said, giving it 10 Uses was such a bizarre choice. Not in a bad way, necessarily, but I don't think I've ever found myself using it more than twice in any given map. Like, a 3-use Fortify (2 in half-count classes, 6 in White Magic x2 classes) would've hardly been any worse.

I'd say it's also because status effects are more common in the sense that a single enemy can stagger multiple units using a gambit. So being able to restore all of them at the cost of a unit's turn is pretty valuable. Otherwise, if it just restored one unit, you'd probably be better off using that restoring unit to attack rather than actually use restore on a status effect that only lasts one turn, as you're probably not in a position where you can waste offensive output.

Aw yes, Random Lava Map.

Seriously, I'd say (so far, I'm Black Eagles) most Paralogues at least somewhat makes sense, but this one seriously needed more cutscenes or multiple battles.

You cannot dump me in a random lava map and not tell me what Information we found.

I can only assume he must have been pirating FE ROMs and Rhea made emulation illegal.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:26 AM, Alastor15243 said:

Alright, we've got another love letter to deliver, this time from a female student with a DILF fetish apparently, because I'm pretty certain this is for Alois. ...Is Alois a single dad, or is this teenager just... shamelessly hitting on a married man, and citing his devotion to his family as one of the things that makes her want him?

Also, these are the laziest love letters I've ever seen. They're barely even a paragraph, and they're just repeating the “clues” we were given for who it's for!

He's married. So this is something that I can only interpret as shamelessly flirting with a married man (who is much older than you, at that; ffs, Alois has to be twice as old as that NPC, AT LEAST). Anyway, this one really raises some eyebrows, as does the herbs quest back in whenever chapter it was (you didn't comment on that, did you? Because I think it's a serious case of getting crap past the radar).

9 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

That sounds like a "you problem". It's not my fault that you won't make choices that make for an easier playthrough.

It ain't my fault I despise the female Byleth's design as much as I do. That outfit is really effing inappropriate for a professor, as I see it, and there are not enough males in the cast I care for to warrant picking a girl. Hell, I predict this'll keep being an issue in FE as long as avatars keep being a thing (that being my refusal to pick a girl because I get much more attached to the females in the cast than the males).

EDIT: By the way, the next month starts with an instruct day, so I'd be wary of that.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Ah yeah this map pretty much sucks, both gameplay and story wise. I tend to avoid it since I rarely recruit Ingrid or Dorothea (when playing VW at least) so this is reminding me of everything I dislike about it.

8 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Probably to make up for it being lame.

8 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

That'd be funny but it'd also require dynamic programming and clever design so it was never gonna happen.

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

It ain't my fault

I mean, it's a little your fault.

He's married.

Yeah, pretty sure his wife is alive. I didn't know that when I did this quest, but with hindsight it's, you know...what the hell is this game?

15 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Yeah, pretty sure his wife is alive. I didn't know that when I did this quest, but with hindsight it's, you know...what the hell is this game?

Accurate? I mean, someone being married doesn't stop other people from pining for them.

Maybe the girl hopes she can be the mistress. Like the heir and spare, you also have the wife and mistress.

31 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Accurate? I mean, someone being married doesn't stop other people from pining for them.

Maybe the girl hopes she can be the mistress. Like the heir and spare, you also have the wife and mistress.

Ironically, wouldn't that make Alois less attractive in the eyes of Incidental #121? One of her stated reasons for admiring him is his devotion to his family. Becoming his mistress would undermine that particular rationale.

It ain't my fault I despise the female Byleth's design as much as I do. That outfit is really effing inappropriate for a professor, as I see it, and there are not enough males in the cast I care for to warrant picking a girl. Hell, I predict this'll keep being an issue in FE as long as avatars keep being a thing (that being my refusal to pick a girl because I get much more attached to the females in the cast than the males).

I mean, I agree on the matter of the outfit. Then again, Professor Manuela's outfit is hardly professorial. As far as pairings go... IDK, it depends on the degree to which one self-inserts as the Professor. Not to mention, one's general goals with the game - if I wanna see every potential S-support, then I'm going to be switching between Teach variants regularly. Or, perhaps the next game will feature a cast that's entirely bi for Avatar-san.

My point was, you're turning down something mechanical (early Sylvain and Lance-of-Ruin) on an aesthetic rationale (female Avatar bad). Which you're certainly free to do while playing the game! But I don't think that undermines the value of said mechanical opportunity, nor my initial advice to make use of it.

58 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

That'd be funny but it'd also require dynamic programming and clever design so it was never gonna happen.

To their credit, there are a handful of supports, and moments in-narrative, that change depending on which other characters are alive or dead. Or what chapter you've reached thus far. That said, my ridiculous proposal goes far beyond any of those simple on/off switches.

12 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Ironically, wouldn't that make Alois less attractive in the eyes of Incidental #121? One of her stated reasons for admiring him is his devotion to his family. Becoming his mistress would undermine that particular rationale.

I suppose it depends on what the society of Fodlan thinks of mistresses. At least in our world, sometimes a mistress was a sign of a man's affluence or power, since he could provide to more women than just his wife. Devotion to his actual family could still be there despite there being a mistress involved.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Three Houses Day 28: Chapter 7 Week 2 Take 2

Alright, let's try this again. I still don't have much time today, but let's see if we can at least do this...

...Fuck it, I'm feeling paralyzed just trying to figure out who to deploy now that I've remembered Dimitri is here, so I'll just do the minor quest first and see if that fixes things after a battle with better options.

Alright, cool, there, now I can bring everyone but Ashe.

...Also, I just realized: I had it backwards. It's not that you can't adjutant fliers onto non-fliers, it's that you can't adjutant non-fliers onto fliers. So I can train Flayn in pegasus knight whenever I please.

...But right now I wanna focus on getting some support points with Leonie. Still haven't managed to get any supports with her, which makes it feel like-

...Fuck it, I can just shower her with gifts.

Flayn it is!

...Uh...

...This is the Chapter 1 training ground.

Where the fuck is this location...?

Garreg Mach Monastery (Outskirts)”?

...There's an infestation of bandits I'm charged with cleaning out... loitering around the Monastery itself?

...Christ.

...Okay, I just beat the mini-mission, and... okay... are the devs seriously that lazy? I think the attack animation for distant counter... is just the electric magic weapon animation. I just used the levin sword and it looks identical, both in sword gesture and attack effect.

...Fuck, I don't have time today to do the paralogue. Time keeps creeping up on me lately. Or maybe I'm just playing slower due to not having as much fun...?

Guess I'll just do the other quest mission then, and try to comment more on what I'm doing.

Alright, so we're in some kind of walled town in Faerghus called “Kingdom Territory” (real imaginative name there, guys), I'm surveying what's around me and and dear fucking god the framerate is nauseating.

...I think this is where Sylvain's paralogue happens. Which means we're in a schrodinger's cat situation where this place could either be fully secured by Kingdom Knights wanting to have a friendly spar with our students... or hopelessly overrun by bandits, wholly dependent on which mission we select.

This is what happens when you recycle maps this fucking much.

...Not to mention the fact that we're apparently shutting down the city streets to have a public outdoor brawl instead of finding an open field somewhere.

...Okay, yeah, I'm sorry, I'm trying to comment more on what's happening on these quest maps, but it's just... nothing. These are the most simplistic damned maps I've seen in ages.

...Wait... I don't think I saw the “this is a mock battle” notification. Are we actually killing each other here?

Aaaaand Flayn just got a fucking amazing “everything but HP” level up that I really wish one of my main fighters got...

...And I'm done there.

Alright, since I'm done with this free time, guess I'll get to next week's free time before I wrap up.

Right, so, support with Mercedes. Let's see...

...This looks like the guy in charge of the saint statues. Sounds like him at least.

...He's also... really, really short, or this is a weird camera angle. He looks like he's more than a head shorter than both of these ladies.

...No, he appears to be... weirdly sitting down on nothing. Hard to tell due to the text box.

This is... a very weird conversation. The old man asked us for help and went rambling on a lot of buildup to what he needed help with, then Mercedes comes along seemingly convinced this is a friend of Professr's for some reason, and then... Professr wonders how she knew something was bothering him...? When he said as much?

...But anyway, Mercedes says she wants to work in the church one day to be like the priest who helped her in her time of need... but acts like it's not a very realistic dream for some reason...

...May I remind you that this woman can be convinced to dismantle the church itself, and it won't impact any of her support conversations.

...She seems to think having a crest disqualifies her from working at the church for some reason.

As for new skills we got...

...Dedue got weight – 3, Annette got lance prowess, Ingrid got lance prowess 2, and that's it. Okay.

...And that's all I have time for.

Fuck.

Okay, guess I'll see you tomorrow then.

Stay safe, everyone.

6 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...I think this is where Sylvain's paralogue happens. Which means we're in a schrodinger's cat situation where this place could either be fully secured by Kingdom Knights wanting to have a friendly spar with our students... or hopelessly overrun by bandits, wholly dependent on which mission we select.

This is what happens when you recycle maps this fucking much.

Given that the Sylvain paralogue (in Gautier Territory), the Felix paralogue (in Fraldarius territory), and the Annette/Gilbert paralogue (in Dominic territory) all take place on the same map, I'm going to guess that multiple cities in the Kingdom share an eerily identical architecture. The city in which the quest takes place could be one of the aforementioned, or another city entirely.

...Okay, yeah, I'm sorry, I'm trying to comment more on what's happening on these quest maps, but it's just... nothing. These are the most simplistic damned maps I've seen in ages.

...Wait... I don't think I saw the “this is a mock battle” notification. Are we actually killing each other here?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure these "training exercises" are entirely lethal. My big complaint about them, though, is how easy they are. One of them is literally called "The Cream of the Crop", and the soldiers we fight are no more threatening than an ordinary auxilliary battle against bandits. Hm... maybe they could revise these quests, so that A) the soldiers you fight are actually challenging, B) it's a non-lethal battle (like the Chapter 2 Aux battle), and C) letting Teach or your Lord fall sends you back to the select screen, with your activity point lost regardless.

Garreg Mach Monastery (Outskirts)”?

...There's an infestation of bandits I'm charged with cleaning out... loitering around the Monastery itself?

Hey now - if all the fights were right next to Garreg Mach, we wouldn't be asking ourselves "how can this army travel to three different places across the continent in a single weekend?"

...She seems to think having a crest disqualifies her from working at the church for some reason.

It's the "Ingrid Dilemma" all over again - she expects to be obligated to marry a nobleman and make Crested babies for him. This gets in the way of serving the church. Nuns and parenthood DO NOT mix, after all!

Three Houses Day 29: Chapter 7 Week 3 and Week 4 Skirmish 1

Alright, time to explore and get people's motivations up.

Also, a few gifts from me and Leonie is ready for the first support. Awesome. I'm going to wait until unlocking her B support before recruiting her, because I want her to be statistically RNG-proofed a bit for the later parts of the game, like in my initial blind CF run where she was my MVP.

Oh, speaking of, the game got rid of its only excuse for why the locations you run into people for supports and the places where the supports take place don't match: I was charitably thinking maybe that's just where they normally hang out on the map that month and I didn't notice. Nope! Totally unrelated to that too! I'm looking at her right now, and the map's asking me to go somewhere else entirely!

So now I have to go all the way back to my dorm...

...In order to have the impulse to wonder how Leonie is doing and head towards her...?

So yeah, basically, we show up to train, and... she keeps training until we're done... just so she can claim she outlasted us because she started before we got here.

And then she asks if Professr's really Jeralt's daughter, and... you're not allowed to give a definitive “yes” as an answer. Just “I'm not sure” or “That's what I've been told”.

So then Leonie goes on this massive rant about how annoyed she is that Professr's clearly taking it for granted how awesome it must have been to spend her whole life knowing Jeralt and training under him, and how determined she is to prove her own worth through hard work compared to what she sees as Professr's skill being handed to her due to the luck of her birth giving her an awesome dad.

She storms off, and, hilariously, the support ends with Professr just staring off at her blankly as she walks away.

I just barely managed to get to professor rank B by the end of this free time by checking the library to see if it had any experience-boosting books, which it did. Apparently B rank gives me more adjutants. I think I'm going to spend the last week exploring too, and try these paralogues next month. Battle of the Eagle and Lion is one of those battles I remember being harder than average, but I'm above the recommended level, and it's a mock battle you can't permanently lose anyone in, so I'm not too concerned.

Alright, after some rather uneventful lessons...

Ah, alright, a Flayn support.

Ah yes, Flayn finds us mysterious and interesting and compares us to the sea. And yes, much like the sea, you should in theory be able to see yourself in the avatar, but in practice you really, really have to work at it.

...What's Flayn going on about, “on the surface, all seems still”? What ocean has she been to? Or is she only talking about how it looks from really far away? The ocean is never still.

Honestly, Flayn annoys me. She's just... weird, from a characterization standpoint. And her way of talking just irks me.

Anyway, she starts pestering us about our age, and when we turn this around on her she gets flustered and doesn't give a remotely straight answer, or one that sounds like it would even be delivered by a human being. “I am roughly the same age as the other youths here”, like, bitch what?

Alright, now for Constance. Constance is doing some ritual or something and gathering supplies, and Professr's... helping somehow. Either manning the warehouse or...

...But she needs Professr as a guinea pig for it too.

So it seems that the explanation she gives for a recurring theme in her supports is that she wants to become famous for her... magical inventions... in order to restore prestige to her fallen house.

Constance: Because I am a Nuvelle! As were all my ancestors!

...Emphasis hers.

Uh... Constance, I don't think you realize what you're implying when you say that.

But yeah, apparently her house was loyal to the emperor during... the Insurrection of the Seven. Which I had to look up, because this is the only Fire Emblem game I've ever played that expects you to do homework to understand support conversations. But basically, since the emperor lost and became basically a figurehead, House Nuvelle paid dearly for their loyalty to the loser. Nuvelle is completely destroyed now, she's the only survivor of her family, and she's hiding underground.

...But she seems to think that Edelgard has the power to restore her status... despite Edelgard being... the heir to a role that's now a figurehead position apparently?

Oh, also, canonically the experiment she's doing is supposed to happen the morning after this conversation.

If I can remember, and I almost certainly will not, I'll have to see if that makes any chronological sense with how the next support plays out months later.

...So I just thought I'd check out Ingrid and Dorothea's paralogue again, and you can't skip this damned intro conversation due to the “important choice” at the end of it.

Okay, well, thanks to that extra adjutant position and not adjutanting Leonie, I no longer find myself paralyzed with regards to who to bring. Let's give this a shot, shall we?

So yeah, this battle has all the enemies seem to have steel weapons, which is why I noticed such a massive change in damage they dealt and how easy it was to double them.

This time I'm changing the priority a bit. Professr, with Flayn in her pocket, is completely soloing the right side, while everyone else goes south to help with the huge number of enemies who will come down there soon. Before I sent two units to heal Professr and train with her, but that's really unnecessary, she can heal herself, and there's plenty of training to be accomplished down south and in Professr's pocket.

Alright, that little incident went much better this time. With some better placement of my units so that more enemies died when baited in, I managed to get more attackers than enemies to kill this time.

Okay, that's that hurdle done... time to move forward while milking this experience opportunity for Flayn for as much as it's worth in the meantime.

Alright, awesome, Dimitri just mastered soldier. Time to put him in brigand.

We're nearing the exit from the west, but the reinforcements infuriatingly still haven't shown up, meaning at this point I know they're going to be inconvenient as shit. I think divine pulse might turn out to be necessary, but we'll see.

...Jesus Christ. The spawn triggers for these reinforcements are bizarre and psychotic. Like, these ones, you know when they spawned? Not in the middle of the enemy turn, in the middle of an enemy's action. An enemy charges in to gambit Dedue, the enemies spawn, and then the gambit is used. This game gives no shits about consistency with its reinforcements! They put the triggers for them where the fuck ever!

...Wow, there isn't even an “escape” or “seize” command. You just wait on the space. ...Is that how all space objectives work in this game?

...Okay, not only do we have time to go to two separate places in a single day and back to the Monastery...

...not only do we have time to go to two separate places and back to the Monastery afterwards each time in a single day...

...but apparently we also have enough time to go to two separate places and back to the Monastery afterwards each time in a single day and still have time left over for Ingrid to make a quick trip home and back to talk to her dad in person between these trips.

But yeah, now we have House Galatea's relic, and...

...okay, does Dorothea do this “my Ingrid” shit with anyone else in the cast? Why's she so taken with her, and for how long? I don't recall them having supports, but then that could just be me barely remembering any supports at all.

...But yeah, I'll do the second paralogue/skirmish tomorrow, and I guess we'll do the Battle of the Eagle and Lion on Monday.

See you then.

Stay safe, everyone.

18 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Given that the Sylvain paralogue (in Gautier Territory), the Felix paralogue (in Fraldarius territory), and the Annette/Gilbert paralogue (in Dominic territory) all take place on the same map, I'm going to guess that multiple cities in the Kingdom share an eerily identical architecture. The city in which the quest takes place could be one of the aforementioned, or another city entirely.

Kingdom had a brief commie phase when they really got down and dirty with soulless pragmatic architecture.

46 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

...okay, does Dorothea do this “my Ingrid” shit with anyone else in the cast? Why's she so taken with her, and for how long? I don't recall them having supports, but then that could just be me barely remembering any supports at all.

They have C and B. Them not having a paired ending is one of this game's greatest crimes.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:17 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I mean, I agree on the matter of the outfit. Then again, Professor Manuela's outfit is hardly professorial. As far as pairings go... IDK, it depends on the degree to which one self-inserts as the Professor. Not to mention, one's general goals with the game - if I wanna see every potential S-support, then I'm going to be switching between Teach variants regularly. Or, perhaps the next game will feature a cast that's entirely bi for Avatar-san.

My point was, you're turning down something mechanical (early Sylvain and Lance-of-Ruin) on an aesthetic rationale (female Avatar bad). Which you're certainly free to do while playing the game! But I don't think that undermines the value of said mechanical opportunity, nor my initial advice to make use of it.

Ehhh, I don't know about you, but I prefer to play as a male in relationship-heavy games (like this one!). Exceptions to this are few and far between (and honestly, the few I can think of now have "Rune Factory" or "Summon Night" in their name).

EDIT: I don't think that's likely to change even if they went and made an entirely bisexual cast.

55 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

They do support (it only goes up to B, though). Also, if you didn't figure it out already, Dorothea is bisexual.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

So then Leonie goes on this massive rant about how annoyed she is that Professr's clearly taking it for granted how awesome it must have been to spend her whole life knowing Jeralt and training under him, and how determined she is to prove her own worth through hard work compared to what she sees as Professr's skill being handed to her due to the luck of her birth giving her an awesome dad.

My on-and-off interest in AU's now makes me wonder what if Mia had or had developed this attitude as well...

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Constance: Because I am a Nuvelle! As were all my ancestors!

...Emphasis hers.

Uh... Constance, I don't think you realize what you're implying when you say that.

Incest? In my Fire Emblem?

It's more likely than you think.

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Jesus Christ. The spawn triggers for these reinforcements are bizarre and psychotic. Like, these ones, you know when they spawned? Not in the middle of the enemy turn, in the middle of an enemy's action. An enemy charges in to gambit Dedue, the enemies spawn, and then the gambit is used. This game gives no shits about consistency with its reinforcements! They put the triggers for them where the fuck ever!

I love to finish this chapter by having Ingrid move from outside the "enemy spawn" zone into the Sieze row. It's possible with Stride support. Hilariously, after using the Wait command, a bunch of enemies spawn immediately... and then the chapter ends.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Kingdom had a brief commie phase when they really got down and dirty with soulless pragmatic architecture.

I believe I recall some account of the Fhirdiad Commune of 871, on the lower level of the Shadow Library.

Spoiler

Ehhh, I don't know about you, but I prefer to play as a male in relationship-heavy games (like this one!). Exceptions to this are few and far between (and honestly, the few I can think of now have "Rune Factory" or "Summon Night" in their name).

EDIT: I don't think that's likely to change even if they went and made an entirely bisexual cast.

@Shadow Mir I generally alternate between avatar options, particularly if there are associated gameplay or narrative impacts. When it comes to Pokemon, I prefer the female character (especially since customization was introduced).

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Added response.