Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

16 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Three Houses Day 33: Chapter 8 Week 2-3

Quick update's all I've got time for today. Had to move a lot of luggage around, but... I think I can at least do an update on my month prep.

...God fucking damn it, how many paralogues are in this game? Four more just showed up! I might be able to do one of them and a skirmish tomorrow, we'll see.

I'd try to fit in two paralogues into the same weekend. It's likely more will be popping up and you don't have a whole lot of months left if you're also set on spending time in the monastery.

...And I'm just about out of the defense fish. Looks like I have to go fishing again. I'll do that “off-screen” while listening to an audiobook. Gimme a few minutes...

You really not going to tell us what the audiobook is?

...Roughly half an hour later, it's suddenly sank in how crazy it is that this fishing pond is crawling with fish from every corner of Fodlan. They're talking about all these lakes and rivers they're from, and like... what... they can't all be plentifully breeding in this tiny pond, can they? If these are being continuously imported in... for the purpose of using them for food... then why are we then proceeding to make the teachers fish them back out again to prepare meals for their students?

Makes sense if the whole purpose is more leisure than sustenance. As someone who hasn't done any fishing since my first two or three playthroughs, I can assure you the students still get fed even if you don't fish.

...Interesting... it seems her comments about what Rhea might be capable of imply that Flayn knows nothing about Rhea's efforts to create the artificial second coming of Sothis. She seems to just vaguely be suspecting this through their conversation.

I don't think Seteth and Flayn were hanging around with Rhea circa when Byleth was born.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

They're talking about all these lakes and rivers they're from, and like... what... they can't all be plentifully breeding in this tiny pond, can they? If these are being continuously imported in... for the purpose of using them for food... then why are we then proceeding to make the teachers fish them back out again to prepare meals for their students?

I don't think its that unusual, there is a local lake/reservoir in my area that regularly plants trout to give the fisherman more variety, and the monastery doing the same for these variety of Fodlan fish to encourage fishing in the lake (especially in this bizzaro world where fishing makes you better at teaching) doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Not to mention, due to its central location, some of those fish might as well also be native to the region, before swimming through the various rivers coursing into the three countries.

8 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Flayn: Why, when I got to the market – alone – I even haggle!

The way she delivers that line is priceless.

I don't think she'd even know what haggling is, tbf.

Also, I'm curious enough to want a status report at this point, as well as if you've reconsidered anything.

9 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't think she'd even know what haggling is, tbf.

Also, I'm curious enough to want a status report at this point, as well as if you've reconsidered anything.

What a coincidence! I yet again have another busy stretch at work at the moment, so that could be good filler one of these upcoming days.

Three Houses Day 34: Support Interlude

Alright, heads up, I might be taking this next week off. Not sure. But for now, I'm just gonna do the supports here and then see what else I have time to do today in the next two or so hours.

Here's Mercedes and Sylvain's B.

...Sylvain... accidentally admits what a scumbag he is with women, openly lying to them about them being the only one for him when they start suspecting he's cheating...

...I think this is what pisses me off about Sylvain so much more than, say, Inigo or Gatrie or Saul. He's so much more successful, meaning we actually see how far he's willing to go, and how shitty he's willing to be, once he gets what his archetype is so obsessed with.

Sylvain hurts the girls he goes after. And not by implication, or in some throwaway line the writers probably didn't put much thought into. Canonically. In his core supports. As a part of his character, he uses and hurts people without a hint of remorse.

Inigo, on the other hand, merely annoys the shit out of them, and is given a layer of plausible deniability, for the most part, with regards to what he would do if he were actually as successful with the ladies as he tries to be.

...The other reason he's my second-least-favorite member of the “shameless flirt” archetype (only beating the full-on-rapey Soleil) is because... well... I just... don't get any genuine charisma out of him. His vocal performance, his portrait's complete lack of genuine emotional expression, everything about him seems so transparently, blatantly fake that I genuinely cannot process the idea that this guy is supposed to be orders of magnitude more charming than Inigo is. Maybe I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about due to being straight, but Sylvain doesn't seem any more likely to get off the ground with the opposite sex than Inigo is.

Sylvain: [The business of how my Crest affected my life is] not a very happy story.

He says.

With a smile.

...So... Miklan... tried to kill him? When was this?

But at least he's actually frowning this time, even though, yet again, the expression feels way too restrained. Granted, a lot of games have this problem. Just about the only ones that didn't were FE7 and FE15. Though I don't remember a lack of facial expressions affecting my enjoyment of the Tellius story, in fairness... but still, it's really weird how the game just... never wants to actually give them convincingly pained or angry faces. The emotive portraits never seem suited for more serious moments, despite there being plenty of them in each.

...Did they just... spontaneously... start... joking around about...

...Okay it feels like Mercedes was roasting him by acting like how she assumed he thought opening up to her would make her feel about dating him, in a “how easy do you think I am” sort of way, but then Sylvain... joined in... on her joke... spontaneously...?

...Whatever, moving on...

Okay, so Dimitri and Felix talk about a sword that was clearly forged by Zoltan, a famous swordsmith who makes some nice endgame items if I recall.

...Apparently Dimitri has a tendency to be rough with his weapons, and judging by his crest's effect, this seems to be the crest's fault. Honestly, if they invented personal skills one game earlier, that probably should've been Chrom's personal, due to that meme they constantly throw around about him breaking weapons. Doubled weapon durability consumption, but increased attack.

...I actually get... the Sword of Zoltan... from this support?

...I... what?

...Has that... ever happened... in the entire history of Fire Emblem? Where a support... gives you a weapon?

...But it implies Felix gave it to Professr offscreen, since it's going into her inventory and not Felix's.

Alright, but now for Felix and Sylvain's B.

...Felix apologizes for what he said about Sylvain. Which I can't really remember.

...Interesting. Sylvain is the only member of the Dimitri-Felix-Sylvain trio of friends who hasn't radically changed in personality between childhood and now. Well, at least, that's supposed to be the case, though they really muffled Dimitri's changes.

Alright, so, I definitely don't have enough time to do the chapter today, and I might not even have enough time to do a stat recap of everyone.

...But I think I should probably root through everyone's skill lists and see if there are any that slipped through the cracks I should probably put on. Let's see how long that takes and work from there.

I traded Professr's bow prowess for axe prowess since she's trying to get into wyvern eventually, might as well.

Dimitri doesn't have any unequipped skills...

...I switched out brawling prowess for weight-3 with Dedue since I haven't even had him try using gauntlets yet...

...then I swapped bow prowess for axe prowess with Felix because I might as well...

...Skipping over Ashe because he's officially benched...

...Taking dex+4 off of Sylvain in exchange for hit+20 because why do you fucking think I'm doing it...

...Mercedes doesn't use bows either, so might as well put authority level 2 on her instead of bow prowess 1...

...Annette trades faith level 2 for rally speed. The faith prowess skill doesn't actually improve your healing in any way, it's just combat faith that it affects, so might as well put that rally on there just in case.

...Ingrid trades sword prowess 1 for alert stance. Might as well, right?

...Flayn's got nothing to swap out...

...Neither does Shamir...

...And Constance, last but not least, trades faith level 2 for rally resistance for the same reason Annette did for rally speed.

...Okay, so, looking at Sylvain's skills again, I put dex+4 back on him and swapped out black magic avoid + 20 instead because he's not even in a magic class, I just got that budding talent for the hell of it. It's not much, but, like, it is objectively more useful.

Now then, let's do some spring cleaning on everyone's combat arts...

Professr doesn't have any other she can equip...

...Dimitri trades tempest lance for reposition since he's not using lances much lately...

...Dedue trades helm splitter for shove. Monster breaker is more powerful and smash is more accurate, so helm splitter felt like the weak link.

Rushing blow seems more interesting and useful than fading blow, so I swapped fading blow for healing focus on Felix. That'll be handy to have around.

Sylvain has no combat arts unequipped...

...Neither does Mercedes...

...Or Annette...

...Or Ingrid...

...Or Flayn...

...Shamir has a bunch of lance ones that it'd be pointless to replace her bow ones with...

...And Constance has literally just draw back.

...And that looks like all there is to do on that front.

...Yeah, sorry, I don't think anything I start with what's left of my time can be completed today.

Stay safe, everyone.

On 9/22/2021 at 5:07 AM, Sunwoo said:

I get the weird feeling that a lot of the writers for FE don't understand how familial relationships work at all.

Huh? Of course they understand if. If ni-samma and his little sister get on really well, and if their mom has a special letter then that means they can get married. And if the dad messed up at work he walks just straight out of there.

40 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

..I actually get... the Sword of Zoltan... from this support?

...I... what?

...Has that... ever happened... in the entire history of Fire Emblem? Where a support... gives you a weapon?

Not that I can think of, in terms of a proper "support conversation". That said, Genealogy featured quite a few Talk conversations that provided an item, either requiring a marriage (i.e. Azel giving Edean the Rescue Staff), or that helped get to marriage (i.e. Lex giving Ayra the Brave Sword). I definitely like the notion of items or weapons coming out of supports, and would like to see more of it. However, the sword defaulting to Teach's inventory is... really dumb.

46 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Annette trades faith level 2 for rally speed. The faith prowess skill doesn't actually improve your healing in any way, it's just combat faith that it affects, so might as well put that rally on there just in case.

Faith Prowess can technically help with non-offensive spells. In that, if you consciously equip Recover (the best weapon in Three Houses), you still get the Avoid and Dodge boosts from Faith Prowess. It's only a vaguely good idea if they won't be attacking on player-phase, you're concerned about the unit's enemy-phase survivability, and don't care about them dealing damage on EP.

In sum, Rally Speed > Faith Prowess on all but the weirdest of builds.

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...I actually get... the Sword of Zoltan... from this support?

...I... what?

Not that I remember. There have been some talks that give weapons, though.

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...Apparently Dimitri has a tendency to be rough with his weapons, and judging by his crest's effect, this seems to be the crest's fault. Honestly, if they invented personal skills one game earlier, that probably should've been Chrom's personal, due to that meme they constantly throw around about him breaking weapons. Doubled weapon durability consumption, but increased attack.

That would actually be a pretty great skill on Chrom mechanically, given he comes with an infinite durability weapon, so no matter how much you rely on his skill, you'll always at least have a backup to use since he'll never truly run out (unless you make him an archer I guess).

But at least he's actually frowning this time, even though, yet again, the expression feels way too restrained. Granted, a lot of games have this problem. Just about the only ones that didn't were FE7 and FE15.

FE7 deserves a lot of credit for how expressive it made those faces, and is a part of the reason I placed it a fair bit higher than its peers in the presentation department (back when that was a ranking category...).

Though I don't remember a lack of facial expressions affecting my enjoyment of the Tellius story, in fairness... but still, it's really weird how the game just... never wants to actually give them convincingly pained or angry faces. The emotive portraits never seem suited for more serious moments, despite there being plenty of them in each.

To be fair, the Tellius games knew how to use its CGs to add emotion to a scene

fe9cg04.png

a scene painted like that can carry the emotions the faces aren't delivering. Shadow Dragon is one of the games I point at for doing both of these utterly wrong, and I really think the game suffers for it.

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...I... what?

...But it implies Felix gave it to Professr offscreen, since it's going into her inventory and not Felix's.

As has been mentioned a bit, sorta with genealogy, with some requiring a certain number of love points, or being married. Honestly, I think its an interesting idea that I hope they come back to in latter games...

2 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

a scene painted like that can carry the emotions the faces aren't delivering. Shadow Dragon is one of the games I point at for doing both of these utterly wrong, and I really think the game suffers for it.

The CGs in Shadow Dragon are actually pretty decent imo. They just never really used them in the story. Only two I can think of is Minerva leaving and Gharnef brainwashing Tiki, the rest I think just exist in the sound room. The portraits by and large are very lacking in charm. They feel really static. Which is weird because portraits have always been static, but Shadow Dragon and New Mystery's portraits feel particularly lifeless.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

They just never really used them in the story

And that is a big part of the problem. The other part is that they don't try to display much emotion with them...

fe11-marth-reunites-with-elice.png

for example the CG where Marth and his sister are finally reunited, or

fe11-marth-looking-back-from-the-ship.pn

The sorta image they link to the script describing Marth shaking with anger and grief...

fe11-marth-greets-his-citizens.png

or this one showing him greeting his people...after the famously well written bit of dialogue he has about the incredibly complex emotions he is feeling...

Gharnef has the best of them,

fe11-gharnef-about-to-cast-a-spell.pngfe11-gharnef-hypnotising-tiki.png

With some intimating displays of magic, but compare that to New Mystery actually using the CGs to give scenes some emotions like

fe12-marth-witnesses-lorenzs-death.png

the helplessness Marth feels at the death of Lorenz

fe12-minerva-overthrown.png

The direness of Minerva's captivity, and the how very low she has fallen.

fe12-hardin-threatens-marth.png

The malevolence, and terrifying power of Hardin when he pursuits them to the bridge.

fe12-hardins-true-nature.pngfe12-nyna-and-hardins-grief.png

or the way they very visibly portray the way Hardin has turned his back upon all of his responsibilities with the darkening of his heart.

Three Houses Day 35: Chapter 8 Finale

Alright, time to do my best not to end this week on a cliffhanger so I can take a week-long break guilt-free. We've got roughly 2 hours, and one mission to do. Shouldn't be too hard.

...Though I just realized I usually have a flier by this point, and unfortunately I don't have anyone who's reached level 20 yet, so no dark fliers. I can make Ingrid a pegasus knight though.

...Well, since I was going to make her a pegasus knight anyway for darting blow... might as well! Her offense isn't fantastic physically or magically yet, but I do have her relic.

...Incidentally, while reading her bio, I discovered she was 13 when her fiance died. Given he died as part of the military, which would imply he would have graduated from a school like this... that is beyond creepy. But the oldest age I can find that he was confirmed to have reached is 15, so... okay, not hugely messed up if in fact he died at that age. Though it says that's when he joined the military, so that would mean he'd have to have died pretty quickly after that.

...Alright, enough delay, let's go.

...We've apparently just received word that the situation in Remire Village has changed drastically, coincidentally at the exact time we were scheduled to go.

It's not the furthest place from the Monastery in fairness, but still, it's kinda crazy that shit can go down, and word can get to the Monastery and back in time for us to do literally anything.

Dimitri seems to be having a weird reaction to all the carnage. Is he having war flashbacks?

...He then hears about the people who seem to be responsible for this, watching the chaos from the south.

Dimitri: Kill them all. Don't let a single one of them escape. Sever their limbs and crush their wicked skulls!

...Nooooooo comment from anyone?

The vocal delivery there was fantastic, by the way. Pity the visuals didn't keep up, but seriously, gotta praise good deliveries when I find them in this game. Though it still came completely out of nowhere and with very little prompting.

Alright, everyone's restocked...

...Tearing Through Heaven time.

I love this song. And because I love this song, there's no better example of just how outrageously shit Three Houses' map music choices are.

Because you see... this game changed things up a bit by making the map music about as intense as the battle music would normally be in the 3DS games. And for its equivalent of “ablaze” music for during actual fights...

...It makes some instruments a bit more intense... and cuts out others, up to and including the fucking melody.

That almost completely misses the point of making the music carry over between map and battle! It's supposed to feel like a progression! A seamless transition from one state of a song to another! But when you cut out the melody, it doesn't feel like the music's getting more intense, it makes it feel reduced!

The worst example of this is God Shattering Star, where they replace the frankly godly operatic performance with... with... these disgustingly dumb-sounding staccato horns. And given that staccato means the note isn't held, it's a terrible replacement for those big, long notes the opera guy was singing in the rain version.

But moving on to the actual gameplay, I send Ingrid off to the eastern side, flying over the rubble to take out the rabid villagers with haste.

...Shit, forgot to give Shamir her Monastery outfit. Oh well, hopefully I'll remember at some point.

Anyway, with Ingrid soloing the eastern side, everyone else goes west. I forgot to get her any vulneraries, but that's fine, I've got Mercedes.

So Dimitri points out that Tomas the librarian is the one giving orders. He's a green unit, and I think it's amusing they gave him a skill that explicitly says he won't be targeted by enemies, given that this skill never comes into play anywhere else as far as I'm aware, and they could have easily just made it a quirk of the AI since it never affects the player. But like, hey, transparency is good! I just wish, y'know, the effort were put into a place where it mattered more.

And then he transforms into...

Solon, the savior of all”? Kind of a ridiculous nickname to give to yourself when you don't seem to give a shit about anyone but...

...Fuck, remind me to give my full rant about Those Who Slither when I come back a little over a week from now.

...He says they needed Flayn's blood for something, but... uh... I don't know if we ever find out what that is.

Aaaaaaaaand Death Knight shows up.

...Wow.

Jeralt's reading of “That's the Death Knight”, with an exclamation point, almost sounded like he was doing a tutorial and casually pointing out a game mechanic. Yeah, again, I hate how perpetually bored Jeralt sounds in every situation, regardless of how much it's warranted.

Shit. Okay, one of the green units wandered into range of the stronger central enemies. So I went and had Ingrid use burning quake on the guy chasing him so he'd register as “rescued” and despawn before the central enemies could kill him. Then I'll save the one I skipped over to do this next turn.

Speaking of, two things: First, as I learned while prepping for this battle, you apparently can't check the stats of weapon-exclusive combat arts on the unit info screen they show you outside of actual gameplay, and second, “Mt increases based on unit's Spd”. Yet again, how? To what degree?

When I did Crimson Flower, and I faced the prospect of having to bait in Ingrid, do you know how utterly fucking nerve-wracking it was to have absolutely no idea how much damage her combat art would do, or how much damage her crest would add? I wound up having to find a way to rush in to kill her on player-phase, because I didn't have anyone that I could say with absolute confidence could survive an attack from her!

Anyway though, time to take out Solon while running away from the Death Knight. Though I suppose I could try using a Luin knightkneeler on him if I have to...

Alright, almost done. Just gotta grab that last chest with Ingrid and kill Solon. ...Well, I say “kill”, but...

...I think everyone knows the meme about retreating units in this game.

But Flayn just learned darting blow! Awesome! Now to focus on getting her mage so she can learn fiendish blow too!

I just got the second chest, so, time to check what Ingrid can do to Death Knight, and then finish this.

Hahahahaha yeeeeaaaaaah, not even close. Time to finish this then.

...Shit, I should've checked if I could've gotten one of those sickles. FUCK. And now I can't even divine pulse back.

...But for saving everyone, I got an extra large bullion and an advanced seal.

Edelgard shows up in her Flame Emperor disguise and claims that “Had [she] known they planned to do this, [she] would have stopped it”. And yeah, I call total bullshit. If that were true, she'd have used her teleportation magic the second she heard about it and ordered them to stop immediately. I have to agree with Jeralt here, “Your words are meaningless”.

Edelgard then invites us to join her, which is ridiculous, because yet again, we don't have clue fucking one what she's doing and why.

And also, why does she invite us to join her here, but when we're playing Crimson Flower and she attacks the underground throne room, she attacks us immediately, without any opportunity to side with her until after we've already defeated her?

I love how “I will join your cause” is the default option. I nearly pressed it.

And Dedue just walks in and asks if they've seen Dimitri without any comment regarding the Flame Emperor being there, and this momentary distraction lets Edelgard slip away. And by that I mean that it lets the devs have Edelgard teleport away without it having to be on-screen, because of course nothing was actually stopping Edelgard from using her teleport powers while they were looking at her.

And of course, we get more telling rather than showing about Professr's emotions from Jeralt, and then he lets slip that Professr was in fact born at the Monastery. Funny how he told Professr about her mother, but didn't tell her anything about keeping that a secret and openly invited her to mourn at her grave.

Dimitri apologizes for the intense but absurdly brief and underdeveloped outburst he had at the village, and then...

...Okay, so I say the wrong thing and he gets pissed off at me, but given how these are only temporary curves in the same general course of the river of dialogue, he swiftly goes back to the calm explanations he's going to give either way, which was really jarring. No moment to calm down or anything, he was just furious at me one moment, calm and contrite the next.

...Okay, so his stepmother is dead, got it.

But yeah, we see a pic of him standing, traumatized, amidst a ton of corpses, and a bunch of people screaming as they die. It should be compelling, but something about the presentation feels... off to me. Can't put my finger on it, it just has that general feeling that Three Houses has, of a bunch of competently-created resources that were then put together and given life by an amateur.

That said, one small moment of brilliance: this shot with Dimitri's eyes offscreen as he's talking is a pretty good way for him to say his ominous final line without his lifeless model getting in the way:

I came here for revenge. And one day, I will have it.”

But yeah, apparently, according to Seteth, Solon left the Monastery 8 years ago and just came back last year. But we're not given any reason to believe they fucked up regarding this in quite the same way they did with Monica.

And now, only fucking now are we hearing the name of the goddess of this land: Sothis.

Dun dun dun.

It frankly beggars belief that we could have gone eight fucking months in this Monastery and never heard it until now. And in fact, saying that you'd never heard the name of the goddess gets Rhea upset with you, so it clearly isn't something she considers reasonable by this point.

...But Sothis chides you for saying “something we may regret”... whether you say you hadn't heard the goddess's name or not.

...But yeah, that's it for Chapter 8. Chapter 9 will be when I start up again. And I think I will be taking that break, but if I change my mind come Monday, you will of course know.

Stay safe, everyone.

..Sylvain... accidentally admits what a scumbag he is with women, openly lying to them about them being the only one for him when they start suspecting he's cheating...

...I think this is what pisses me off about Sylvain so much more than, say, Inigo or Gatrie or Saul. He's so much more successful, meaning we actually see how far he's willing to go, and how shitty he's willing to be, once he gets what his archetype is so obsessed with.

Sylvain hurts the girls he goes after. And not by implication, or in some throwaway line the writers probably didn't put much thought into. Canonically. In his core supports. As a part of his character, he uses and hurts people without a hint of remorse.

Inigo, on the other hand, merely annoys the shit out of them, and is given a layer of plausible deniability, for the most part, with regards to what he would do if he were actually as successful with the ladies as he tries to be.

Yeah I think that's kinda Sylvain's problem. He's a gigantic scumbag. As a character I like sylvain but as a person he's thoroughly unlikable. 

The likes of Inigo, Sain and even Soleil don't really mean any harm, but Sylvain makes it a point to deliberately do harm to punish girls in advance for ''betrayal'' he expects from them. Aside from extreme cases like Makalov or Lifis that's about as malicious as a playable character has ever gotten.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

And now, only fucking now are we hearing the name of the goddess of this land: Sothis.

Dun dun dun.

It frankly beggars belief that we could have gone eight fucking months in this Monastery and never heard it until now. And in fact, saying that you'd never heard the name of the goddess gets Rhea upset with you, so it clearly isn't something she considers reasonable by this point.

...But Sothis chides you for saying “something we may regret”... whether you say you hadn't heard the goddess's name or not.

...But yeah, that's it for Chapter 8. Chapter 9 will be when I start up again. And I think I will be taking that break, but if I change my mind come Monday, you will of course know.

Stay safe, everyone.

How upset does Rhea get? Is it just losing motivation points or is it scary portrait Rhea? Because I could easily rationalize the former as disappointment that Byleth is in fact not Sothis as a result of experimentation. As for how one could not know the name of their god, I suspect a tonne of people are unaware that the JudeoChristian god's name is YHVH. Most people on this site probably found out from the likes of Shin Megami Tensei then it being an active part of modern religious culture. At least the game is consistent in almost never referring to the goddess as Sothis even after the reveal.

21 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

If this is correct, then fair enough.

I think it is, but you're the one playing through it now, keep an eye out. I haven't actually read Three Houses script since it my initial playthroughs, despite having played the game itself a few times beyond that.

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I love this song. And because I love this song, there's no better example of just how outrageously shit Three Houses' map music choices are.

Because you see... this game changed things up a bit by making the map music about as intense as the battle music would normally be in the 3DS games. And for its equivalent of “ablaze” music for during actual fights...

...It makes some instruments a bit more intense... and cuts out others, up to and including the fucking melody.

That almost completely misses the point of making the music carry over between map and battle! It's supposed to feel like a progression! A seamless transition from one state of a song to another! But when you cut out the melody, it doesn't feel like the music's getting more intense, it makes it feel reduced!

The worst example of this is God Shattering Star, where they replace the frankly godly operatic performance with... with... these disgustingly dumb-sounding staccato horns. And given that staccato means the note isn't held, it's a terrible replacement for those big, long notes the opera guy was singing in the rain version.

And then we have Funeral of Flowers, where they actually did a great job with the Thunder version somehow. As well as subduing it by simply turning it into a piano piece, the mood actually makes sense for the fight at hand.

But yeah generally speaking this is the aspect of 3H’s music I dislike the most.

Hey, I'm all set to start up again on Monday, but I just thought I'd share this: I've been watching a friend play through FE9 for the first time. He'd previously basically only played Conquest, Three Houses and Heroes, and when we got to the beginning of Chapter 8, the first thing he said to me was basically:

"...You know, this explains so much about why you hate Jeralt and Byleth".

9 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

"...You know, this explains so much about why you hate Jeralt and Byleth".

Yeowch. As Karl Marx IIRC once said of Napoleon and Napoleon III "History repeats itself, the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce". 

On 9/24/2021 at 1:12 PM, Jotari said:

As for how one could not know the name of their god, I suspect a tonne of people are unaware that the JudeoChristian god's name is YHVH. Most people on this site probably found out from the likes of Shin Megami Tensei then it being an active part of modern religious culture.

Although isn't it also in some interpretations considered taboo to actually recite the name of God? And when SMT has YHVH voice acted, they tried to -I think- highlight it's incomprehensibility to mortals by having pronounced *scratches a vinyl record* every single time.

On a mostly unrelated note, I read in SRW that "Cybuster" is not the real name of the Cybuster. Its true name is kept super secret, because if you know someone's or something's name, you can invoke it in damages curses and whatnot. The strongest of Langran's magical robots are so valuable, that they deserve an extra layer of protection. -Just throwing this out as another reason one could use to keep the name of something very sacred unknown to the public.