Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

9 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Never really cared about the weapon fusion system that much.

It's not a severe criticism of the game or anything. It's merely that the system was obtuse on inheritance and that I've seen similar, but better. I barely utilized the fusion system as is for the story on plain old Intensity 2.0. All I would've liked was an easier way to get a nice weapon with good ranged attack, defense boosters and whatever else could help survive the high intensities easier for the mediocre player I am. And to make a weapon that could just maybe win one online match, not that there'd be a weapon good enough to compensate for me.

...Though we've probably gone too far off course with this.😅 Though what's a pinch of off-topic posts in a topic of 347+ pages that is 95% of the time on Fire Emblem?

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Maybe that's because you only think superficially. It doesn't do me any good to kill something when it puts my unit at risk of dying to others that are in range.

Yeah, which is why you don't do that. Likewise, you don't overextend yourself to such an extent where you're in so much danger you have to use a healing item and you can't get to a convoy or a mage who's carrying one. Unless youre sitting down and turtling out maps there's really no need to carry a bunch of healing items on every unit in Three Houses. And i say mages can be carriers for Healing Items there, but I have never saw for to give ant of them more than one each. And very commonly that one will never be traded or used for the entire game, because Three Houses maddening is one of the least friendly games for healing items as it's so player phase focused and there are tonnes of way to autoheal at the start of a turn. Almost more than any game, Three Houses Maddening is about swiftly dealing with threats before they have a chance to damage you at all.

Edited by Jotari

Three Houses Day 62: Oh Sweet Motherfucking God These Supports

Hahahahaha. Wow. “I'll quickly do supports tomorrow”, huh?

I've got eight of them from Dimitri alone.

Yeah, sorry, this is gonna be a “just supports” day.

Let's start with Dedue and Dimitri's A support.

Dedue: Your highness, you still have scars on your back.

He says. To a fully-clothed Dimitri.

Curiously, I think there's a typo here. At least in the written script. The script has Dimitri say “They are still deep... these are from nine years ago. They do not hurt any longer.” I'm pretty sure there was supposed to be a while or a though at the start there. And while it's hard to make out the specifics, I'm pretty sure Dimitri's voice actor went with “though”.

But that's interesting. Dimitri apparently deals with his survivor's guilt regarding the Tragedy of Duscur by reminding himself that he at least managed to save Dedue.

...So they bring up Dedue's refusal to call himself Dimitri's friend, and...

...Dedue is blushing. Wow.

Anyway, on to Dedue and Shamir's B support. Oh yeah, I think I was looking forward to this!

...Curious. Dedue is described as giving out “his highness's orders”. That makes it feel like this is a support that was gated until just now. Interesting that they chose to do that. I guess Dedue is such a satellite character to Dimitri they didn't feel they could afford to have him support much as long as Dimitri was in a state where they couldn't afford to have him support at all.

This isn't as good as I remember the last one being, though the discussion regarding Shamir and Dedue's drastically differing relationships with Rhea and Dimitri respectively was... mildly interesting.

Now for Mercedes and Dimitri's A.

So they're at the cathedral praying, and Mercedes talks about all the people who died in the war so far.

Mercedes says Dimitri is “kind, sometimes to a fault”, which is... a curious opinion to have so swiftly after he stopped being a crazed blood knight.

Dimitri claims he's terrified he'll forget the faces of the people he's killed... implying he remembers the face of every person he's killed, which... seems crazy.

Mercedes: Living in the present is the best we can do. We owe it to those who can't come back.

Dimitri: If someone had said those words to me five years ago... I would be a different man today.

I somehow doubt the words would have been enough.

Frankly, Dimitri immediately getting his A supports with everyone like this feels... ridiculous. There should have been at least one conversation per person before we go into all of this ridiculous sappy nonsense, considering the amazing psycho edgelord he just stopped being.

But yep, here it comes. I'm gonna be seeing a ton of blatantly romantic A supports now.

Up next is the one between Felix and Mercedes. Cue that sappy violin song again.

So Mercedes says she suddenly realizes Felix isn't much like her brother at all. HMMMMMMMMM. I wonder if they're going to explain exactly what differences she's recognized, or if they just threw that in to not make the A support creepy. I'm betting on the latter.

FUCKING CALLED IT.

Oh hey! Dimitri actually does get two post-timeskip supports with someone! So now we get Ingrid's B+!

...In which they... talk about the argument... about Glenn... that they had five years ago.

...Fucking Christ, game.

But it is interesting hearing Dimitri open up about how Glenn died, and how Dimitri saw his corpse's face contorted in agony and despair. It explains a lot about how angry he got about Ingrid glorifying his death.

What has changed, Ingrid? You were so obstinate the other day...”

...The other day.

...Oh my fucking god. This was supposed to be a pre-timeskip support, wasn't it? And they fucked up the time-gating, didn't they?

Well, so much for this being an improvement over instant A supports post character development.

Now for Ingrid and Sylvain's A+.

Apparently Ingrid's trying out makeup and Sylvain's extremely flustered with how pretty she looks now. Sylvain is also acting... in a way that can be interpreted as him being worried Ingrid's fallen for someone.

God damn these supports are fucking awkward. Why can't we actually get any acted-out closure to any of these relationships? Like I said a while back, if I actually gave a shit about these characters, I can't imagine this could be anything but agony.

Now for Felix and Seteth's B.

Looks like they're gonna have a discussion about chivalry and Felix's disdain for it.

...Seteth calls himself an old man. Way to keep your cover, onii-chan.

That said, I absolutely love his line:

Seteth: If you hate all those whose beliefs are different from yours, you will hate everyone eventually. People with exactly the same beliefs as you simply do not exist.

This resonates with me pretty hard as someone who's watched a lot of adjacent friendships tear themselves apart due to political differences coming to light.

Now for Seteth and Leonie's B support.

More talk about fishing by the looks of it. But it looks like Seteth's massively improved from just one lesson from Leonie. Which really speaks volumes about how hard it must have been to maintain his ignorance.

Leonie also apparently appreciates fishing for recreation too, which... now makes this feel corny. Like, oh, how cute, they both see and appreciate the other's side of things now.

...Frankly though, I should probably be grateful this particular support wasn't better-animated. Dead fish make me uncomfortable, as I've said earlier. At least they weren't talking about “cleaning” them though.

That's 8 supports so far. Christ. Yep, no chance of doing the map today.

Now for Gilbert and Dimitri's C.

I don't understand why this support isn't happening sooner. Dimitri could have easily discussed this with “Gilbert” before the timeskip.

Curious that Dimitri's now calling his stepmother his mother, something I don't believe he's done in a while, if at all.

...Huh, so apparently Gilbert did arrive in time to save Dimitri at the Tragedy of Duscur.

...Now for Gilbert and Annette's B support.

...This is really sad. Annette's briefly touched by a wooden doll Gilbert carved for her like he used to, but she makes it plain that he's hurt her way too much for this sort of thing to truly make her happy anymore.

Gilbert: I am sorry, Annette. I should have given more thought to my actions.

No, Gilbert. You should be giving more thought to your current actions. Your obsession with your regrets is your entire problem. You realize the things you've historically done are wrong, but you keep fucking doing them as further punishment to yourself.

Alright, now for Catherine and Dimitri's C support.

...Yeah this feels like a support that can happen pre-timeskip. Especially when Catherine is vague about how long ago an event was, when concrete numbers of years are given all the time for supports fixed to post-timeskip.

PFFFFFF!

Dimitri is hilariously passive-aggressive about Catherine mistaking him for a girl when she first saw him.

Also, Dimitri's voice actor kinda re-writes the line he's reading to be slightly better. He reads “It's all water under the bridge. Now, back then I was quite furious about it” as “It's all water under the bridge. ...Now. (Laughs) Back then, I was quite furious about it.

Yeah, so, Catherine's apparently a criminal fugitive from the Kingdom, which... makes her going to negotiate with her former Kingdom house... even more odd.

Now for Felix and Dimitri's A support.

Felix: I have a question for you. Answer quickly before my hand slips and I cut you in half.

...Does he have Dimitri at knifepoint?

I think that's the most aggressive start to a support conversation since Volke's “You there, in the bushes. You have five seconds to show yourself before I start throwing sharp objects. One... two... four...”.

Felix... seems to have contempt for the idea of doing things in the name of the dead. Like, he just automatically assumes that whenever someone's doing that, they're just trying to justify their own desires.

But yeah, Felix ends this conversation in a super tsundere-ish way, like, a literal sentence-synonym for “it's not because I like you or anything, b-baka”.

Alright, now for Annette's A support with Dimitri. Not their last, they have an A+ together too.

...This is yet another one where it carries on from the pre-timeskip supports like only a few days passed. Though it does at least mention post-timeskip events.

It's funny how Annette says she has no idea what Dimitri likes to eat.

They do, in fact, have favorite meals in common, so it's entirely possible for her to be present while Dimitri gushes about the meal they're both having. So this seems amusing.

Come to think of it, that applies to Dedue not knowing Dimitri's favorites earlier as well.

He claims he doesn't have strong feelings about food, which feels like bullshit.

Annette: I reconnected with father. So I'd like to live with my family again, in the capital.

Christ. What a fucking thing to have Annette consistently say when her relationship with her father is so outrageously fluctuating.

Now for Leonie and Shamir's B.

...Uh... this... this is a support that doesn't make sense post-timeskip. Apparently Leonie aimed her bow at people explicitly referred to as “students”. Was the “passing through the Monastery” thing supposed to be their plausible deniability, that some students from some other school passed by this active war headquarters on a whim?

Honestly though, Leonie sounds outrageously irresponsible if this is true. I'm pretty sure that big rule about guns, “don't point it at anything you don't plan to destroy”, also applies to bows when you're drawing them back.

...Apparently Jeralt did that to Leonie all the time when he was drunk. Which is... an amazingly ridiculous concept.

Also, apparently Leonie gets creeped out by bugs.

Not sure how I feel about this conversation. It was amusing, but also speaks really poorly of Leonie as a person.

Last support of the day: Flayn and Dimitri's B.

Flayn talks to Dimitri about how she doesn't feel that any of the ghosts Dimitri is thinking about would likely want him to be so obsessed and guilt-ridden. And also... pre-emptively makes sure Dimitri knows she wouldn't want that of him in case she dies. Which is a nice touch.

...Well! Wow! That was... a lot of supports for one day.

That's it for now.

Stay safe, everyone.

44 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Seteth: If you hate all those whose beliefs are different from yours, you will hate everyone eventually. People with exactly the same beliefs as you simply do not exist.

Well he's wrong to the extent that people with exactly the same beliefs as you do exist. It's just if you encounter one it's likely you've been brainwashed by the same source and neither of you are actually thinking critically about what you believe.

Annette: I reconnected with father. So I'd like to live with my family again, in the capital.

Christ. What a fucking thing to have Annette consistently say when her relationship with her father is so outrageously fluctuating.

If it has more focus, I could readily believe Annette's feelings were fluctuating just as much. It's a pretty ambivalent scenario to be in. "I hate him because he doesn't love me as much as I want him to love me. Now he's made some effort to love me, but fuck him for too little too late, but also I want him to love me. But still, fuck him." Ya know, it's like there's no logically consistent way to feel that isn't either completely cold hearted or a complete dishrag.

...Apparently Jeralt did that to Leonie all the time when he was drunk. Which is... an amazingly ridiculous concept.

That could quite possibly be the most interesting thing I've heard about Jearlt as a character.

58 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

More talk about fishing by the looks of it. But it looks like Seteth's massively improved from just one lesson from Leonie. Which really speaks volumes about how hard it must have been to maintain his ignorance.

If Seteth improves this much from one fishing lesson... how bad was he at fishing exactly???

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Hahahahaha. Wow. “I'll quickly do supports tomorrow”, huh?

I've got eight of them from Dimitri alone.

...oof...that sound exhausting. The way the game time-gated supports should have been done differently, to help stagger out those gated supports. Perhaps cutting off total support points at some threshold, or cutting it off after some number of time-gated supports being unlocked, just so they don't all get shoved down your throat at once.

12 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

...oof...that sound exhausting. The way the game time-gated supports should have been done differently, to help stagger out those gated supports. Perhaps cutting off total support points at some threshold, or cutting it off after some number of time-gated supports being unlocked, just so they don't all get shoved down your throat at once.

If they absolutely insisted on designing the game so you get basically every support with every unit you're using and some of the ones you aren't, I don't think there's any way they could have avoided overload. 8 students who each have 2-4 supports with the other 7, if I'm doing my math right that's around 80 supports over 20 chapters. And that's without factoring in extra units, such as the avatar. Pretty sure the avatar brings it up to 5 per chapter on average from just the students in one house.

Edited by Alastor15243

Three Houses Day 63: Chapter 18 Mission

Alright, so... we just... effortlessly charge clear through the Kingdom to get to the capital and fight Cornelia. This kind of in hindsight makes it ridiculous that we didn't do this sooner, if it's not going to be a multiple-battle affair.

Oh wow, I was so fixated on the model discrepancy, noticing how many jewels were on Cornelia's tiara on her model as opposed to her portrait, that I was taken off guard when I looked back and saw her face contorted with malice.

Alright, so, this map seems pretty straightforward. I can probably cheese it with ease if I get just a bit closer to Cornelia. The monster-class enemies on this map drop agarthium, an ore I don't have any particular use for. The enemies are high enough level, however, that I can probably get some good experience for the units I haven't been training as much. I should've been more diligent in putting adjutants on Leonie and Ingrid during all of that skill training. Ingrid and Leonie are now at levels in their forties, so it might've been nice to get some other units in on that action, especially since the deployment limit went up and I can now use some units I haven't been properly fielding in a while, namely Seteth and Sylvain.

Well, let's see how it goes.

Oh yeah, this is some good music. I don't know what it's called, lemme look it up real quick...

...I guessed “The Road Ahead” and got two of the three words right with my guess, nice. “The Long Road” is a really good song. I can't distinctly remember, but I assume the thunder version sucks. However, the rain version is excellent. Really good for climactic endgame fights.

Yep, I was right, thunder version sucks. Gets rid of the melody like most of the others.

...Sylvain is just not nearly as good as Leonie. Being a bow knight isn't really something he can be properly trained for, it turns out. Largely because he gets basically no bow combat arts. Nothing but curved shot, even after all of this training. But also, statistically he's significantly behind too. But he does thankfully have enough offense to at least kill some enemies in one round.

Felix is a fucking monster. There are times where I struggle to visualize a single enemy he couldn't one-round that anyone else could even dent.

...I think the titanuses... titani... whatever... I think they use the “select battle on the world map” sound effect when they attack. Which feels kind of jarring. Menu sound effects just generally aren't things you expect to hear during attacks.

...Okay, the titani are really fucking strong. Several of my dark fliers just can't survive a single attack from them, and they have scary crit rates that only my biggest tanks can survive. They can't climb stairs though, which makes them kind of a joke to cheese, at least on this map.

Alright, time to rush the boss now that I've taken out the three front titani.

...She's actually really, really strong, and her high crit rate makes tackling her intimidating. But with a well-placed atrocity, she goes down like a bitch.

...So... Cornelia's claiming that Dimitri's stepmother cooperated with her to orchestrate the Tragedy of Duscur in order to reunite her with Edelgard.

...I wonder if Dimitri's just going to believe this. This totally feels like the sort of thing she'd lie about to fuck with him, though the rules of narrative seem to indicate it's true.

...He doesn't seem to believe her. Good on him, given in real life believing that probably wouldn't be wise.

...We get a scene of the people cheering for Dimitri's return, which... it's funny, this is probably the straightest I've seen such a scene played in the series. In Sacred Stones Seth's speech made it pretty sobering, and in Shadow Dragon Marth had to put on a strong face for his people in spite of great personal loss. Here, it's pretty damned optimistic.

But yes, Dimitri has returned! The king has returned!

...But he's still going back to Garreg Mach tomorrow.

We're told about a celebratory feast happening entirely off-camera, not even a shot of a dining hall like in Fates.

...I am getting absurdly good at predicting when specific music is about to play in a cutscene that was previously dead silence. That one song that plays during night-time and/or sentimental moments in particular I predicted right down to the specific line it would play on.

And now Dimitri's accurately predicting what happens to him in Silver Snow and Verdant Wind when he describes what he suspects would have happened if he wasn't reunited with Professr, which feels... like... it doesn't feel smart, it feels more like he's reading the script, know what I mean?

...So... uh... Claude... apparently... knew about our plans... and predicted that we'd win... such that he had an express messenger sent to us in Faerghus... and it arrived that night? That would've ended horribly if this place were still under Empire control, no? Depending on what's in the letter.

...Which we don't find out.

Because the chapter ends on a cliffhanger.

Okay, game.

Lemme guess: the letter is going to be summarized by the narrator.

Fucking called it. The narrator is given the most pointless of jobs in Part 2, honestly. Far too often he describes stuff that could have easily and far more effectively been shown on-screen.

...Or stuff that they're going to show anyway. Like the discussion after reading the letter that the narrator just said happens.

So we have a discussion on whether or not to aid Claude, and we all agree to...

...And of course this takes place in the Cardinal's Room in Garreg Mach.

Dimitri: We will arrange to head out at once. Prepare yourselves, everyone.

...By which I can only assume he means that they will literally arrange to head out at once. They will arrange, at once... to head out in a month.

...This fucking game, I swear...

...Well, guess we'll get started on that tomorrow.

Stay safe, everyone.

37 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Alright, so... we just... effortlessly charge clear through the Kingdom to get to the capital and fight Cornelia. This kind of in hindsight makes it ridiculous that we didn't do this sooner, if it's not going to be a multiple-battle affair.

There is Dimitri's paralogue that can be accessed now which makes it kind of a two map affair to get complete control

36 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Three Houses Day 63: Chapter 18 Mission

And thus begins the lategame of TH.

Am I the only one who thinks these maps feel kinda... weird? Because, I´ll be honest here, these last maps always look like they are a slightly better reimagination of Awakenings chapter 18 - just kill the boss and be done with it. Not to mention the weird loot thrown around the map.

The only maps in all of what I´ve played of FE that made me actively look to LTC´em.

1 hour ago, Imuabicus said:

And thus begins the lategame of TH.

Am I the only one who thinks these maps feel kinda... weird? Because, I´ll be honest here, these last maps always look like they are a slightly better reimagination of Awakenings chapter 18 - just kill the boss and be done with it. Not to mention the weird loot thrown around the map.

The only maps in all of what I´ve played of FE that made me actively look to LTC´em.

You haven't played Thracia then, I take it?

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Ah yes, I saw the green exclamation mark.

I think I might have mentioned it before, but Dimitri's paralogue is the only part 2 map that features Manuela and Hannemen, who otherwise completely vanish from the story on all routes if you don't recruit them.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...So... Cornelia's claiming that Dimitri's stepmother cooperated with her to orchestrate the Tragedy of Duscur in order to reunite her with Edelgard.

...I wonder if Dimitri's just going to believe this. This totally feels like the sort of thing she'd lie about to fuck with him, though the rules of narrative seem to indicate it's true.

...He doesn't seem to believe her. Good on him, given in real life believing that probably wouldn't be wise.

Probably more Agarthan work, that. I mean, we already know by now they are prone to kill and replace peeps...

Incidentally, did you notice the two Kingdom General enemies on that map? Those were planned to be Felix and Annette at one point. What's more, a rogue sniper can appear holding the Tathlum Bow.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...I think the titanuses... titani... whatever... I think they use the “select battle on the world map” sound effect when they attack. Which feels kind of jarring. Menu sound effects just generally aren't things you expect to hear during attacks.

...Okay, the titani are really fucking strong. Several of my dark fliers just can't survive a single attack from them, and they have scary crit rates that only my biggest tanks can survive. They can't climb stairs though, which makes them kind of a joke to cheese, at least on this map.

Or someone using the Seiros Shield, as they're counted as monsters.

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think I might have mentioned it before, but Dimitri's paralogue is the only part 2 map that features Manuela and Hannemen, who otherwise completely vanish from the story on all routes if you don't recruit them.

Also, it has enemies with stat boosters. If you want the stat boosters, you gotta steal them.

Three Houses Day 64: Chapter 19 Week 1-2

Aaaaand Dimitri just got alert stance+. Christ, he's gonna be even more of a monster now.

Okay, just a bit of exploration for food and sauna-ing. Now on to this new paralogue.

This is frankly bizarre. Here, they go out of their way to make this thing we can choose to do later time-sensitive, when it didn't have to be. Dimitri starts out saying that he initially thought this was just something they had to deal with “soon”, but now more enemy reinforcements are coming to reinforce Arianrhod, so we have to do it now or things will get worse. Why would they do this and still give us the in-universe option to do it later?

...No wait, then he kinda waffles on it and says he's not sure when the reinforcements arrive, and then expresses surprise when I decide to do it immediately.

...This game... is weird.

...And this map is a joke. A map with this many walls, and there are almost no archers with which to prevent flier cheesing, except one bow knight in the middle of the map. If I go down south and then east, I can probably rush Hubert with ease. Which is exactly what I'm going to do.

Apparently a small amount of my muscle memory hasn't yet accepted that I'm not playing a better game. I found myself tapping on the switch's screen to try to get more info on one of Hubert's skills.

...Traps, huh? Ugh, that's annoying. Let's see how it goes.

...The map's lone chest had a single piece of umbral steel. That is frankly worthless at this point. I almost want to take it back to save Professr's turn.

And the only droppable item is... an advanced seal?

At this point in the game?

This chapter feels like it was made to be cheesed.

So yeah, I stride, and then I take out the armor knights who are the only thing guarding the lower part of the map.

Two-turned. And yeah, now I can definitely see where the “Damn! I've been defeated! But I can't fall here. I must make my retreat!” meme came from. You fight Hubert so many times.

Ooh! Gold cavalry battalion! Nice! I have some units who could use that!

...Game, this is getting out of control.

This is an intervention.

This isn't funny anymore.

You have a problem.

You have no fucking respect for the fabric of space and time.

We get a night-time scene after the battle. And Dimitri then says this:

By the way, I wanted to thank you for your help with the Arianrhod campaign the other day. You were exceptional.”

The other day”.

The... other day.

A day... that is not this one.

The day that is still going on.

The day that has not passed on the calendar yet.

The day that still has two more fucking skirmishes available for me to do.

That day has passed, according to this cutscene.

The devs just don't fucking care! Space is warped and time is bendable!

And yet again the game makes it so the story scene would have been a way more sensible time to give us that battalion, since they talk about getting new troops.

Right, now to do some skirmishes.

Leonie got bow crit +10. Duly noted. Maybe I have room for that on her.

And she got movement+1! Definitely putting that on her! In the words of Mr. Clipboard, Ohhhhh I'll make space!

With alert stance+, Dimitri fears basically nothing. Not even mages. Nobody can touch him, his evasion is insane. Fliers are so broken.

Alright, that's it for today. Tomorrow I'll finish the month probably, and get ready for the fight on Monday.

Stay safe, everyone.

10 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Two-turned. And yeah, now I can definitely see where the “Damn! I've been defeated! But I can't fall here. I must make my retreat!” meme came from. You fight Hubert so many times.

And you didn't even fight him in Foreign Land and Sky, where he somehow makes it off an island when a nation suddenly turns hostile against him. In total he's fought seven times in Azure Moon. Once in the mock battle, both times in Grondor, Garrek Mach invasion, Foreign Land and Sky, Dimitri's paralogue and when attacking Enbarr. I'm surprised they didn't throw him into the tomb fight too. The previous record holder for "most times fought in a single game" was Takumi who's fought five times in Conquest (though if you discount the two casual mode battles and count by the number of miraculous retreats, he's even with Takumi). The Death Knight is also fought a tonne. Seven times, equal to Hubert by my count. Four times in part 1, twice in part 2 and once in a paralogue. Though unlike Hubert he's not exactly expected to be killed each time, so it feels slightly less egregious.

Yeah, I kind of miss the days where an enemy was actually killed when their HP hit 0.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

And you didn't even fight him in Foreign Land and Sky, where he somehow makes it off an island when a nation suddenly turns hostile against him. In total he's fought seven times in Azure Moon. Once in the mock battle, both times in Grondor, Garrek Mach invasion, Foreign Land and Sky, Dimitri's paralogue and when attacking Enbarr. I'm surprised they didn't throw him into the tomb fight too. The previous record holder for "most times fought in a single game" was Takumi who's fought five times in Conquest (though if you discount the two casual mode battles and count by the number of miraculous retreats, he's even with Takumi). The Death Knight is also fought a tonne. Seven times, equal to Hubert by my count. Four times in part 1, twice in part 2 and once in a paralogue. Though unlike Hubert he's not exactly expected to be killed each time, so it feels slightly less egregious.

Yeah, I kind of miss the days where an enemy was actually killed when their HP hit 0.

How many other bosses in the series actually fell back for another round when defeated? The only one I can remember off the top of my head is Pablo in Sacred Stones (though he doesn't show up until late into the other map he shows up in, and as you can instantly get the big thumbs up by just killing the boss on said map, you might not even see him).

On 11/17/2021 at 1:22 PM, Jotari said:

Also of note, for whatever reason, Manuela is an Assassin here, when she was a Priest last. The same thing happens with Acheron in Crimson Flower (is a Mage in pre-timeskip, but if you go to Crimson Flower, he's a Cavalier when he shows up) and Ladislava (if you side with Edelgard, she's a Cavalier in the following battle, but she's a Wyvern Rider/Lord as an enemy on the other routes).

Edited by Shadow Mir

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

The silver lining being potentially more interactions with the bad guys who weren't killed. But when potential is wasted, I can see the desire for a return to the old way. And even if the potential is used properly, I can see reason to dislike it.

Of course, seven deployments is a tad excessive, even by the standards of SRW I would think. A franchise wherein enemies retreating at 0HP is commonplace -more explicable b/c cockpit ejection from a giant hunk of steel- and permadeath doesn't exist in general. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think any of the frequent fighter enemy participants go up to 7 battles in OGs 1 or 2, with the exception of Tenzan. 

No more permaenemy death does make FE possibly more "anime" in the bad modern sense than it already is. -Not that FE has ever not been "anime", just more subdued about it. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

43 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

How many other bosses in the series actually fell back for another round when defeated? The only one I can remember off the top of my head is Pablo in Sacred Stones (though he doesn't show up until late into the other map he shows up in, and as you can instantly get the big thumbs up by just killing the boss on said map, you might not even see him).

Ignoring cases like RD bosses from other armies, (I think there are some?) and the guy from Gaiden/SoV who has a body double in his first appearance, I think it is more of a thing in Fates and Three Houses, although Awakening has a bunch of bosses be recruitable. That said, I'm not sure if that's canon or from the same universe, since I never played FE13.

Just now, Alastor15243 said:

One of them is from another universe, the others all inexplicably survived.

Well, Sam's Club -if only in the North American localization- died, he's just undead through sheer force of will now.

Obviously, the solution is to fit Miracle into every desired boss's skillset and rig it to activate once per battle. After which then they flee.

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

Ignoring cases like RD bosses from other armies, (I think there are some?) and the guy from Gaiden/SoV who has a body double in his first appearance, I think it is more of a thing in Fates and Three Houses, although Awakening has a bunch of bosses be recruitable. That said, I'm not sure if that's canon or from the same universe, since I never played FE13.

One of them (Yen'fay) was killed off for real, and thus the one you recruit is from another world. The other three (Gangrel, Aversa and Walhart) survived.

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

One of them is from another universe, the others all inexplicably survived.

Ah.

Also, on the topic, I kinda wish that, if they want to do recurring villains that you fight in FE, they'd  just do the Berwick Saga thing of giving them an item that saves them from death if they're not meant to die on that map-just have them leave the map in the scenario where they are forced to use the item.

Actually, regarding villains who don't die...  @BrightBow, @Spara or @Saint Rubenio, what happens if you defeat that guy in Ch. 3-M? Is he just gone for good, or does he "I can't fall here"?