Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

17 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...Except no because HOLY FUCKING SHIT THEY ACTUALLY PUT AN ENTRAP STAFF MAID IN THE ROOM TO THE EAST AND SHE'S COVERING MORE THAN HALF THE FIRST ROOM.

Honestly, I think I hate the entrap staff. I genuinely think it shouldn't exist. It's too reliable for you to be able to count on a miss when the enemy uses it, but not even remotely accurate enough for you to be able to count on a hit when you use it. Not to mention it costs more than four thousand fucking gold for two 60% chance uses like what the actual fuck.

The thing that annoys me most about the Entrap Staff is that the game just flat out disables its use on the enemies it would be most useful on. That being the stationary enemies with zero move. I'd love to be able to deal with an entrap maid by striking first and using entrap on them to bring them to me and pick them off. But the game just says nope, all the enemies entrap would be most useful on are immune to it. So just have fun wasting its charges on some random armoured knights who it's only minorly useful on anyway. Oh well, at least it  makes the Garon chapter in Conquest slightly more interesting than in Birthright, even if the enemies in that chapter are using complete hacks to have infinite range on it.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

But he could do it safely, and he was there, and I was on a schedule.

That's honestly even weirder than the "weapon rank conditional" thing.

Yeah I've heard about endgame. We'll see how that goes. Honestly a big reason why I'm making my "fuck around with all the free toys" file is so I can mess around with all the things that have been stressing me out on my main file in a risk-free environment. It's become increasingly apparent to me that as much as I love this game, and as much as I love ironmanning, ironmanning Lunatic specifically might just be the tiniest bit outside of my skill range at the moment, and that's causing me undue stress. A lot of my worst reactions to the game have been "I wish I had time to experiment" on things I wouldn't have to experiment with probably if I were just playing Hard.

I really have no compunctions with messing around with the DLC and bonus stuff. It's there to be used, and more importantly, it's fun. Especially using Witches in this game. How I wish Shadows of Valentia had given us Fates style witches to use. Warping around and transfer stats and the like is one of the best parts of Fates. Especially in the next chapter with those map wide Entrap staffs.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I really have no compunctions with messing around with the DLC and bonus stuff. It's there to be used, and more importantly, it's fun. Especially using Witches in this game. How I wish Shadows of Valentia had given us Fates style witches to use. Warping around and transfer stats and the like is one of the best parts of Fates. Especially in the next chapter with those map wide Entrap staffs.

My memory is that the consensus was that people didn't want me using any of the bonus stuff. If not, uh... I may have made this needlessly more frustrating for nothing.

9 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

My memory is that the consensus was that people didn't want me using any of the bonus stuff. If not, uh... I may have made this needlessly more frustrating for nothing.

I don't recall that being a conversation. I just remember you deciding you would for Revelation, but then not for the other games. Then again it's possible I just don't remember it being discussed. If it were then I probably would have voted on use everything. Well, unless I was feeling particularly spiteful. Which is also quite possible XD

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't recall that being a conversation. I just remember you deciding you would for Revelation, but then not for the other games. Then again it's possible I just don't remember it being discussed. If it were then I probably would have voted on use everything. Well, unless I was feeling particularly spiteful. Which is also quite possible XD

It was never an official vote, just a vibe I got at the time.

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yeah I've heard about endgame. We'll see how that goes. Honestly a big reason why I'm making my "fuck around with all the free toys" file is so I can mess around with all the things that have been stressing me out on my main file in a risk-free environment. It's become increasingly apparent to me that as much as I love this game, and as much as I love ironmanning, ironmanning Lunatic specifically might just be the tiniest bit outside of my skill range at the moment, and that's causing me undue stress. A lot of my worst reactions to the game have been "I wish I had time to experiment" on things I wouldn't have to experiment with probably if I were just playing Hard.

I feel like this is showing part of why I prefer ironmans that aren't blind to those that are. There is a lot you can glean while playing blind (if you are attentive), but some stuff, like the pace of the map (set by AI behavior and reinforcements) isn't, and these can be really important to how you play a map. Another examples that comes to mind is how tight resources are constrained, which can have a massive impacts on overall strategy.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Just out of curiosity, have you played Tear Ring Saga and had the chance to use its true witch?

20 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I feel like this is showing part of why I prefer ironmans that aren't blind to those that are. There is a lot you can glean while playing blind (if you are attentive), but some stuff, like the pace of the map (set by AI behavior and reinforcements) isn't, and these can be really important to how you play a map. Another examples that comes to mind is how tight resources are constrained, which can have a massive impacts on overall strategy.

Just out of curiosity, have you played Tear Ring Saga and had the chance to use its true witch?

I'm in the middle of my first playthrough of Tear Ring Saga now, but I either missed the Witch or haven't reached her (I assume the witch is a woman) yet.

Edited by Jotari

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'm in the middle of my first playthrough of Tear Ring Saga now, but I either missed the Witch or haven't reached her (I assume the with is a woman) yet.

Probably haven't gotten her yet, as she comes after the half way point at the earliest

Spoiler

If the one with the revival sword manages to die before map 24 she will be recruited there, otherwise in map 31.

17 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

True, but then  when I do blind ironmans, I generally just play on hard. That helps keep the stuff that makes blind ironmans fun, while also avoiding making things too strict and terrifying.

Conquest Day 41: Chapter 26, Part 2

Let's do this.

So, I think I've got a plan for this part. It's just barely possible to break down the door to this room while only in range of one of the freeze maids. While the idea of facing these generals in attack stance is frankly ludicrous, and attack stance is the only way to have a frozen unit still move (by pairing up with a neighbor), If I trick the maid into freezing someone other than a guard stance unit like I've been able to do before by putting juicier targets in the way, I should be able to break down the door, bait in the generals, and then immediately start retreating to pull off hit-and-runs.

...Yep, that seems to work. I haven't broken down the doors yet, but the maid consistently finds Percy the best target for freezing. Which means that if I put someone like Mozu next to him for a quick pair-up and escape, I can evacuate from this no problem.

...Except nope! Apparently Conquest AI changes its mind about who to freeze once there are enemies that can gang up on someone, just as I feared might be the case. I'll see how bad this gets. If it gets really bad, I may have to use up my last rescue rod use getting Dakota out of here.

Yep. Definitely gonna have to do that. Well, here's hoping I don't need it in the endgame! I know saving it for one-turning is a thing, but uh... yeah, without Azura that was never gonna happen.

Ah, so the reinforcements had a mobile freeze user in the upper hallway, not a mobile hexing rod user in the southern room. Thank goodness I had accidentally prepared for this by putting replica Soleil in that hallway in case I had to evacuate past Iago's staff range again. She kills the maid before she has a chance to do anything at all.

And then more reinforcements show up, in the hallway I just crowded into. Thankfully yet again replica Soleil is here to save the day. As is Forrest, whose auras and rally allow Xander to tank the three sorcerer hits he has to tank since he just barely couldn't get two spaces behind Dakota and Soleil.

So far so good. Now I just need to get Dakota in range of the right number of enemies, reinforced by Forrest from behind a bottleneck, and take out these beastkiller generals so I can finally get Xander in there to take out the berserkers.

For one fleeting second I was terrified Dakota was going to die when I had to tank the enemies a bit early and her evasion against the berserkers was for some reason nowhere near what it should have been given her WTA with a forged fire tome. But a tomahawk berserker went and attacked Percy (who I put right behind Dakota for a rally just in case, noticing he would survive two hits from the spear and tomahawk enemies no problem) and thus blocked the only space the remaining two berserkers had to attack from. Not sure what he was thinking there, but it might very well have saved the run.

That's everyone but Iago, Hans, two maids, and two generals. Oh, and every last enemy on the west side. Including the entrap maid. Well, that shouldn't be too hard to deal with.

What I'm gonna do is send Dakota in to bait in both of the countermagic generals from behind the torch so that Hans can't join in. That'll wound them enough that the fact that they counter magic attacks on player phase won't matter. And I'll also flood the hallway and room just outside of enemy attack range with as many of my units as I can so that if any reinforcements do come out from those stairs when I aggro Hans, I'll have enough units on hand to fight them with.

Woo! Success! And I made half of the reinforcements not spawn by putting Percy and Effie on the stairs!

...Now I just have to hope nothing goes wrong when Soleil gets entrapped.

SHE MISSED! THE FUCKER MISSED!

And now I've got an opening to kill Iago.

Which I take, because it's a hexing rod turn.

Now, let's see... I could take the risk of tackling the western room for the spy yumi...

...Or I could grab all the good treasure and get the fuck out of here right now and not tempt fate any further.

Yeah! Yeah, let's do that!

Seraph robe, Bifröst, and 20,000 gold. All mine. Awesome. And I seize before getting in the stoneborn's range has any consequences at all.

Leo kills Iago just like in Birthright, and then... Dakota reveals that she intends to kill Garon, and tells everyone that the reason why will be obvious if they enter the throne room. Honestly, it feels weird to reveal this now rather than at the beginning of next chapter. I could've sworn they waited entirely until Chapter 27 so that support conversations discussing Garon wouldn't be weird. But nope, the first half of the reveal happens here.

I've got some assorted support conversations, but I do not have time for them. Even doing just half a map, I'm cutting things really close today, so I have to stop here to have time to proofread.

Tomorrow... we'll be doing Chapter 27.

Stay safe, everyone.

I know Alastor has abandoned Heroes, but for anyone else invested, I want to take the opportunity to say here that I really think Iago should have been a staff unit in Heroes. We have so many gimmicky red tome users already and he would have actually been better as a staff unit as it would have opened him up to using attacks that can't be countered or healing while you're using him to debuff enemies. Sure, sure Iago's Tome is actually a weapon in the game, but it's a weapon he never actually uses and (Character name)'s Weaopon has always been a shitty way of using prfs. He absolutely should have come as a staff unit with Hexing Rod being the name of his staff weapon (so we can reference it in name if not function).

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yep. Definitely gonna have to do that. Well, here's hoping I don't need it in the endgame! I know saving it for one-turning is a thing, but uh... yeah, without Azura that was never gonna happen.

Yeah, a 1-2 turn clear has been out of the picture for a while, but saving a turn with rescue in endgame will save characters in that death gauntlet.

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

I know Alastor has abandoned Heroes, but for anyone else invested, I want to take the opportunity to say here that I really think Iago should have been a staff unit in Heroes. We have so many gimmicky red tome users already and he would have actually been better as a staff unit as it would have opened him up to using attacks that can't be countered or healing while you're using him to debuff enemies. Sure, sure Iago's Tome is actually a weapon in the game, but it's a weapon he never actually uses and (Character name)'s Weaopon has always been a shitty way of using prfs. He absolutely should have come as a staff unit with Hexing Rod being the name of his staff weapon (so we can reference it in name if not function).

FEH is afraid of the notable staff from the series. Even after all of these years none of the status staves are in it, and the only notable named staff in is the Kia Staff (and I suspect it coming from the barely known FE5 helped them escape their cowardice). They were even too afraid to call the Rausten Staff by its actual name, Latona...

12 hours ago, Jotari said:

12 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

It was never an official vote, just a vibe I got at the time.

I believe I was among those pushing this vibe. Basically under the aegis that using DLC reclass options, like Dark Flier and Dread Fighter, would compromise the difficulty. Particularly in the earlygame.

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Seraph robe, Bifröst, and 20,000 gold. All mine. Awesome. And I seize before getting in the stoneborn's range has any consequences at all.

Ooh, nice. Have any planned targets for the Bifröst?

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Yeah, a 1-2 turn clear has been out of the picture for a while, but saving a turn with rescue in endgame will save characters in that death gauntlet.

FEH is afraid of the notable staff from the series. Even after all of these years none of the status staves are in it, and the only notable named staff in is the Kia Staff (and I suspect it coming from the barely known FE5 helped them escape their cowardice). They were even too afraid to call the Rausten Staff by its actual name, Latona...

Well there is Caduceus too, but yeah, overall they've been surprisingly unwilling to actually use staffs from the game. Even Gravity could have been Fates's Freeze staff with little trouble.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Ooh, nice. Have any planned targets for the Bifröst?

Haha, I wish. It doesn't work like that. You can only revive the last person who died, and only if it happened during the map you use it on. No menu to select from all of your casualties or anything. That would've been nice.

Edited by Alastor15243

Haha, I wish. It doesn't work like that. You can only revive the last person who died, and only if it happened during the map you use it on. No menu to select from all of your casualties or anything. That would've been nice.

Its still rater useful as the fastest way to clear debuffs on a unit...

On 5/17/2021 at 6:55 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Yeah, status staves are a tricky thing. Much like siege tomes and ballistae, the enemy tends to get way more use out of them than the player. One place where I have found them useful is Genealogy - a caster whose Magic exceeds the target's Res has a guaranteed hit. And while their uses are few, money is attainable enough that you can use them in key cases.

23 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

They are excellent in Thracia 776 as well for similar reasons, at the point in the game where the player starts regularly using them they have a healer with high enough skill that they don't miss so enemy's magic is higher than user's magic is the only way they would fail, infinite duration makes them more potent, and you can grab more uses from the enemies...

You two won't get any argument from me there. It's that after Jugdral, the usefulness of status staves dropped faster than the unlucky saps who were on the bad end of some of the most brutal zero-to-death combos I've ever seen in Smash Bros.

16 hours ago, Jotari said:

The thing that annoys me most about the Entrap Staff is that the game just flat out disables its use on the enemies it would be most useful on. That being the stationary enemies with zero move. I'd love to be able to deal with an entrap maid by striking first and using entrap on them to bring them to me and pick them off. But the game just says nope, all the enemies entrap would be most useful on are immune to it. So just have fun wasting its charges on some random armoured knights who it's only minorly useful on anyway. Oh well, at least it  makes the Garon chapter in Conquest slightly more interesting than in Birthright, even if the enemies in that chapter are using complete hacks to have infinite range on it.

Agreed. Incidentally, this sounds like a metaphor for status effects in most RPGs. If an enemy is worth hitting with status effects, odds are they're either highly resistant, if not outright immune to them.

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Damn, I had assumed it worked like Archanea's Aum staff. Come to think of it, I'm not sure that I ever used Bifröst.

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Damn, I had assumed it worked like Archanea's Aum staff. Come to think of it, I'm not sure that I ever used Bifröst.

I like how Bifrost works, because Archanea's Aum staff (or Jugdral's Valkyrie staff) reviving someone who died three years ago on the otherside of the continent is just silly for narrative reasons (and pointless for gameplay reasons). While an emergency revival of a near dead person is a much easier pill to swallow. But it sort of sucks in Fates from arbitrary weapon rank caps stopping you from using it in almost all staff wielding classes. And even if you're in the right class you would have to be neglecting the other weapon of the class at least a bit to reach that S rank. Sometimes it feels like Elise has to decide between Flame Shuriken and Bifrost 😕 And that's coming from someone who isn't shy about using DLC maps to pick up money (wait does wexp increase on the DLC maps? I know exp doesn't, but I'm not sure if wexp does).

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

You two won't get any argument from me there. It's that after Jugdral, the usefulness of status staves dropped faster than the unlucky saps who were on the bad end of some of the most brutal zero-to-death combos I've ever seen in Smash Bros.

Agreed. Incidentally, this sounds like a metaphor for status effects in most RPGs. If an enemy is worth hitting with status effects, odds are they're either highly resistant, if not outright immune to them.

It's funny but if they actually had a skill saying they're unaffected by movement related skills and staffs then it wouldn't bother me nearly as much. But when the game just goes "Nope, you can use entrap on every unit except the ones you actually want to use it on", it just feels scummy of the game.

Edited by Jotari

Conquest Day 42: Chapter 27

Well guys, I woke up two hours later than usual due to lack of sleep, and now I've got like two hours to write this today. Thankfully, Chapter 27 is short, but we've got a lot of prepping to do, because this is the last we'll see of the shops, and uh... we've got quite a lot of money to spend in them.

Aurgelmir I've gained enough respect for (thanks to using a certain bow with the same drawback) that I can conceive of a use for the thing, but alas, I have absolutely nobody who could wield it. So it's worth more for its 5k sale price. The venge naginata also goes, though less reluctantly. an A-rank lance that specializes in enemy-phase... isn't that great at this point in the game.

Let's check out the map and see what the damage is. From what I remember, this could be a nightmare on lunatic depending on what they change.

Ah yes, and there's also invasion 3, but I think I've had enough of invasions. Also, all of my best units are at 20/20, so uh... can you say “diminishing returns”?

Anyway...

Leo: You sound pretty sure of yourself, but I can't help but be skeptical. Why didn't you tell us earlier? Why keep it a secret? And why are you two the only ones who know about this alleged truth?

In the words of Giles: “Three excellent questions”.

But yeah, Xander says sure, they'll see what she has to show, with the caveat that if this is an elaborate deception, he'll put her down like a dog.

And yeah, we get the cutscene revealing Garon's true form, and honestly, this is another thing that pisses me off about this: we don't even get to see the moment of his transformation. It happens offscreen. And upon reflection, you don't even get the excuse of avoiding fucking up support conversations, because all of those support conversations were at least ostensibly written with Revelation also in mind.

I do find the massive amount of goo spilling down the stairs to be an interesting and creepy visual touch, but honestly, this is all beyond dumb.

Curse you, traitors! How dare you trick your king!!”

...Since when did they ever trick Garon into sitting on the throne? That was always Garon's plan! All they did was help him win...

...so they could stop him from winning.

Yeah that's the most annoying part of this. This would've happened anyway without their help. Before, there were two outcomes:

1: Nohr conquers Hoshido, and Garon is exposed as a slime monster and killed.

2: Hoshido wins, and Garon is killed.

All Dakota and Azura accomplished was making sure it was the former. Now, if this were a decision on Dakota's part solely to make sure that her idiot siblings didn't die before they learned the truth... I mean that could be a more sympathetic motivation. But no, they fought for an outcome that would have happened anyway, and they're acting like this makes them tragic heroes saving the world.

...And even after seeing he's a literal slime monster, everyone's still unwilling to fight him.

Camilla: Although we can see the truth, it's not so easy to attack the man we've called... I can't accept that Father is really gone forever... I just...

...Ugh.

But then Xander comes in to save the day, and that's supposed to redeem him for all of his ignorance and stupidity we've seen throughout all three games, and fuck this to hell, seriously. I expected to have fun roasting this story, and I have had fun at times, but at this point I'm just sick of talking about the story. I don't know if it's marathon burnout, or if there's something about Fates that has made me less passionate about roasting its story than I was with Sacred Stones or Awakening, but... ughhhhhhh...

...And we get the Shadow Yato, which doubles the Grim Yato's defense and resistance bonuses and has 5 more might and crit. And also the ability to tell Dakota what its name is. Which is... seriously, she sounded like Odin right then, talking about her sword whispering its name to her.

I do like the moment where Elise laments about how she never knew any father other than the fake one.

Okay, so, it doesn't look much worse than in Hard mode. Just like in Hard mode, there are four shrine maidens in side cambers with entrap staves modified to have one use, infinite range and 200 hit. But also just like in Hard Mode, there's only one enemy in each chamber. Also, unless they were complete asswipes and changed this between difficulties, the shrine maidens move last, so they won't even be attacked by the enemies on the turn they're warped in (meaning it's safe to bring fliers to this map, which is a good thing, because I have a fuckton of fliers).

...Y'know, I don't think I'm gonna have time to do this map today after all. What I'm gonna have to do is devote today to prepping for tomorrow.

Alright, let's see...

First off, the supports.

Percy got a support with Dakota. I don't think I've ever seen this.

...No, I have. In this, Percy wins against Dakota because... a tornado appears out of nowhere to distract Dakota and Percy keeps fighting anyway, and it disappears right after he wins.

...Yeah.

Kana and Soleil have a support.

...Kana wanted to watch Soleil chat up girls because he wanted to learn how to compliment people like she does.

Kana: Teach me to be like you!

Run away, my son. Run away very fast. You do not want this.

Alright, Soleil and Selena A rank. Let's see...

...It's basically more of the same from the B rank. Oh well.

Alright, so I've got 42,000 gold to spend. This feels like more money than I've had for the entire rest of the game (though it assuredly isn't), and I have two chapters to spend it for.

First off, I buy a heart seal and an arms scroll. I'm going to make Dwyer into a butler and give him an arms scroll to let him use Bifröst, and I'm also going to make Ophelia a sorcerer again and give her my existing two arms scrolls to use Excalibur. Pity I couldn't get her to learn lifetaker, that would've been nice. But alas, it's not worth it at this point.

There, she has Excalibur. With that she's got 56 attack (without meals or tonics, but with a surge), and when rallied up and given tonics and meals, she'll be able to double anyone with 36 speed or less (though anyone with 36 speed will also be able to double her thanks to the quirk of the weapon). She's been struggling to make herself useful before, but now she's a magical nuke who will be able to obliterate basically anything.

I gave the seraph robe to Soleil, my least-bulky enemy phase tank.

I've also determined that to give everyone all of the stat boosts they'd like to have over the next two maps, I need 26-28 HP tonics (I went with 28 to be safe), 16 strength tonics, 14 magic tonics, 20 speed tonics, and 26 defense and resistance tonics. I bought all of that, as I do for every Conquest endgame just to be safe, and I still have 15k left. That's going to go to some fancy staves for sure, namely a fortify and an entrap. Now that I have the money, entrap feels like something I'm going to want to have just in case.

I'm going to be bringing Izana to these last few maps. He provides the only two rallies I otherwise don't have access to, and that extra magic and luck is going to be nice to have for things like status staves and shuriken dodgetanking, or making sure Dakota hits one-rounding thresholds.

...Alright, yeah, that's all I can do for prepping today. I've still got 7K for any last-minute purchases I may remember. Tomorrow, we'll do the map proper, and then Friday we'll do part 2, going into the weekend if necessary.

Stay safe, everyone.

Tomorrow, we reach the point of no return.

...And even after seeing he's a literal slime monster, everyone's still unwilling to fight him.

Camilla: Although we can see the truth, it's not so easy to attack the man we've called... I can't accept that Father is really gone forever... I just...

I mean sure, they were willing to go along with the oppression, and the war crimes. But being ugly? That's a crime too far.

Really, I'm disappointed Gooron didn't even try for the "kids! Thank goodness you arrived. Hoshido must have put a curse on this throne, transforming whoever sits on it into a monster most foul," angle. For all the royals know, their real father could have just been mutilated by a horrific Hoshidan trap.

3. Whatever the hell happens in Revation.

54 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Ah yes, and there's also invasion 3, but I think I've had enough of invasions. Also, all of my best units are at 20/20, so uh... can you say “diminishing returns”?

With how hard Invasion 3 is in Conquest, it feels more like a post game challenge...

She's been struggling to make herself useful before, but now she's a magical nuke who will be able to obliterate basically anything.

You did have her in Dark Knight for a while, and I do think its the worst of Conquest's magic classes.

3 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

You did have her in Dark Knight for a while, and I do think its the worst of Conquest's magic classes.

Not for very long, and honestly I think the extra movement helped her. Anyway, Dark Knight's pretty great... for more bulky mages. Which Ophelia decidedly is not.

Hey, incidentally, would anyone be willing to send a chef's hat my way? I'd appreciate it! New file and all.

18 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...Since when did they ever trick Garon into sitting on the throne? That was always Garon's plan! All they did was help him win...

...so they could stop him from winning.

Yeah that's the most annoying part of this. This would've happened anyway without their help. Before, there were two outcomes:

All Dakota and Azura accomplished was making sure it was the former. Now, if this were a decision on Dakota's part solely to make sure that her idiot siblings didn't die before they learned the truth... I mean that could be a more sympathetic motivation. But no, they fought for an outcome that would have happened anyway, and they're acting like this makes them tragic heroes saving the world.

Well there is the possibility that Hoshido wins and Garon is not killed, only repelled and sent back home to Nohr to continue to be a shit king oppressing it. Although given this is Fire Emblem the idea of the invasion just failing without one side being entirely eradicated is like an alien concept. Have I ranted here about how tired I am of Fire Emblem treating every conflict like the only possible resolution is storming the capital and killing the enemy leader? Rather than both nations deciding that continued war is not in their best interests and coming to some kind of negotiated settlement? Like I see why they do it for exciting climax, but they do it so gosh darn often in this series. Just once I'd like to see some characters inuniverse realizing this conflict is not going to end well for them.

Conquest Day 43: Chapter 27 (For Real This Time)

Honestly, replaying this game for this marathon has been bittersweet. On the one hand, it's made me appreciate what it does better than every other game in the series all the more. On the other hand, it's also made me acutely aware of all the ways in which it could be improved further still, and uh... it won't be. The odds of us getting a game that even resembles revisiting the Conquest formula are so astronomically tiny that it's honestly depressing, and my best hope is some kind of fan patch when 3DS modding gets more popular and mainstream.

We may very well never get a game that cares as much about providing a compelling, interesting and fair challenge ever again. I will be beyond happy to be proven wrong, but but after playing the whole series in a row like this... it really makes me painfully aware of just how rare it is for Fire Emblem difficulty to click with me. Out of the 17 games I've played so far... I think I found myself genuinely engaged by the gameplay of, like... four of them. Five if you count Thracia. Which is such a depressing admission to make about what I explicitly went into this saying was my favorite series.

...Anyway, let's get going.

I unlocked the B support with Mozu using the treehouse (which I've actively avoided visiting ever since marrying Jakob because it's just such an annoying waste of time if you don't want to get supports, but I found myself accidentally clicking on it and relieved there was no minigame this time). So let's check it out.

Ah yes, I remember this one. Mozu talks about killing a wild boar with a knife. And also that she killed a bear. That makes it kinda silly that she starts out so terrible. Faceless can't be that much tougher than a bear, can they?

Anyway, I've gotta work out how to tackle this chapter. Since basically nobody has anything to gain from fighting at this point, I plan to use the staircase shortcut to rush Garon when he's alone. But I need to maximize the chances that whoever gets teleported into these rooms will be able to handle what's inside. From what I remember of how the AI behaved in my original ironman hard mode run for Dakota's War Journal, the entrap shrine maidens actually prioritized the strongest units to entrap. Which is nice, but considering the consequences if I'm wrong, I can't count on that here.

Good news is that none of these enemies have lunatic skills. That master ninja you can get trapped with doesn't have inevitable end, just the ol' one-two of poison strike and grisly wound. And none of the shrine maidens have staff savant, which would make it just a bit more annoying to deal with them.

The problem I'm noticing is that there actually isn't any opportunity to evacuate from the upper rooms using fliers. Merchant Man and the Spendthrift Bunch will be on their asses almost instantly. Whoever gets warped into those four chambers, they have to fight those guys or die.

Just in time before I bite the bullet and press start, I remember how useful concoctions would be in this situation and buy four of them after scraping the bottom of the barrel of what I can sell. Or is that the top of the barrel, since this is the stuff I'm least confident I won't regret selling? Ah, whatever. I've got eight concoction charges now. Now let's do this while we still have time today.

Begin.

Man I love the music here, but given the context it's really putting me on edge. I really hope the entrapment doesn't go horribly wrong.

Alright. So, I got pretty lucky. I sent everyone rushing towards the top two areas because they'd be the hardest to get backup to, but those two wound up being fine. Three of the four chambers beamed in units who can one-round the enemies inside. The only bad matchup is Camilla against the master ninja, which I can easily resolve by flying Mozu in next turn.Percy against the sorcerer came close to being another bad matchup, but that berserker axe gave him literally just enough attack power to get the kill.

The master ninja went down to Mozu, but I had to use the crescent bow to do it. Pity, it would've been nice to have Mozu at full attacking strength, but then there's no way in hell she'd survive an attack from Garon, so I'll have to take advantage of dual strikes with her anyway.

...Looks like I have an opportunity to refresh her attack after all! Thanks to the pillars in the hallways, only one of the soldiers can reach into the room I sent the majority of my units in, and the one immediately behind him can't get in range for dual strikes due to the pillar in front of him. So if I have Camilla end her turn in range of this soldier in attack stance with Mozu... that'll refresh Mozu and give me another turn to kill Garon.

Effie strikes the first blow against Garon, getting the last experience she needs to reach level 20 and netting shurikenbreaker. Awesome. She could really use that.

...And Ophelia can land the killing blow with excalibur, guaranteed to survive with rally defense.

...But that'll end the chapter.

And then I won't be able to turn off the system at all, for any reason, until I finish battle prep for the final battle and press start.

And... I'd kinda like to also play some other games on my 3DS today.

...So I think I'm gonna bookmark here and leave the final battle for tomorrow, finishing the playlog over the weekend if I have to.

As terrifying as that chapter was, it was kinda hilariously short. Maybe I should've done it yesterday. Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20.

Stay safe, everyone.

I unlocked the B support with Mozu using the treehouse (which I've actively avoided visiting ever since marrying Jakob because it's just such an annoying waste of time if you don't want to get supports, but I found myself accidentally clicking on it and relieved there was no minigame this time). So let's check it out.

I've played Fates like six or seven times and I've basically never went to the tree house since my initial playthrough. The benefits just don't outweigh the cost of time it takaes to load up the screen. I'd much rather just throw my units onto a DLC map and grind their supports there if I really want to get characters to a certain rank.

Man I love the music here, but given the context it's really putting me on edge. I really hope the entrapment doesn't go horribly wrong.

Alright. So, I got pretty lucky. I sent everyone rushing towards the top two areas because they'd be the hardest to get backup to, but those two wound up being fine. Three of the four chambers beamed in units who can one-round the enemies inside. The only bad matchup is Camilla against the master ninja, which I can easily resolve by flying Mozu in next turn.Percy against the sorcerer came close to being another bad matchup, but that berserker axe gave him literally just enough attack power to get the kill.

The master ninja went down to Mozu, but I had to use the crescent bow to do it. Pity, it would've been nice to have Mozu at full attacking strength, but then there's no way in hell she'd survive an attack from Garon, so I'll have to take advantage of dual strikes with her anyway.

...Looks like I have an opportunity to refresh her attack after all! Thanks to the pillars in the hallways, only one of the soldiers can reach into the room I sent the majority of my units in, and the one immediately behind him can't get in range for dual strikes due to the pillar in front of him. So if I have Camilla end her turn in range of this soldier in attack stance with Mozu... that'll refresh Mozu and give me another turn to kill Garon.

Effie strikes the first blow against Garon, getting the last experience she needs to reach level 20 and netting shurikenbreaker. Awesome. She could really use that.

...And Ophelia can land the killing blow with excalibur, guaranteed to survive with rally defense.

...But that'll end the chapter.

And then I won't be able to turn off the system at all, for any reason, until I finish battle prep for the final battle and press start.

And... I'd kinda like to also play some other games on my 3DS today.

...So I think I'm gonna bookmark here and leave the final battle for tomorrow, finishing the playlog over the weekend if I have to.

As terrifying as that chapter was, it was kinda hilariously short. Maybe I should've done it yesterday. Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20.

Stay safe, everyone.

I remember cheesing this chapter very easily in Hard, but cheesing it in Lunatic was much more difficult for me. I find Garon is pretty difficult to safely take down with just one or two characters and the enemies rushing from the centre more or less need to be taken care of to devote time to Garon. Though I don't think I've ever had an Ohilia with an attack stat as psychotic as yours. All in all I find this a very underwhelming chapter on hard, but on Lunatic I liked it quite a lot. I just wish you could save after it before the final chapter. Because it's a pain to do again after a failed attempt at the Endgame. To that extent I wouldn't be surprised if they designed it to be rather cheesable on purpose.