Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Ha. Nolan killed Ike. With WTD. Fair fucks to him. The true leader of the Dawn Brigade right there. Imagine the alternate history you just spawned.

Tarvos, man. 100 hit. Doesn't fuck around.

8 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I think you should take a break but I did want you to finish the whole Gallian retreat before it considering part 3 can be divided into four phases and you're currently in the middle of the second phase so taking a break in the middle of a narrative phase can be a bit jarring. 

Yeah, it's not ideal for other reasons too, but I just don't feel I'm in the right mental state to be giving this game a fair shake. These last two games have been exhausting due to the amount of story they have, and I'm really hoping that I'll be more eager and passionate about this after stepping away for a week.

Edited by Alastor15243

10 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yeah, it's not ideal for other reasons too, but I just don't feel I'm in the right mental state to be giving this game a fair shake. These last two games have been exhausting due to the amount of story they have, and I'm really hoping that I'll be more eager and passionate about this after stepping away for a week.

Do you prefer a more narrative intensive game or one that has less narrative content? I know in the context of this run is completely different. 

I was actually thinking about suggesting you to take a break some time ago but never decided to act on it. 

27 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Do you prefer a more narrative intensive game or one that has less narrative content? I know in the context of this run is completely different.

For the purposes of this marathon, I find I have way more fun when story analysis doesn't overwhelm the content of my playlogs. However, the amount of story in the Tellius games is ordinarily ideal for actual normal play. Especially since I usually have the option to skip the story once I'm done wanting to sit through it, something I can' do when I'm obligated to see as much of the story as I can to determine if I have any comments to make on it.

Strangely though this is making me look forward to FE11, since there's going to be significant cutback on narrative size. And one thing I think I'm going to do when I get to that game is re-read each entry for each chapter in my FE1 playlog as I play that chapter in the new one, since those early-marathon playlog entries are so short. Try to remind myself of anything I noticed was different about the original.

Edited by Alastor15243

21 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

For the purposes of this marathon, I find I have way more fun when story analysis doesn't overwhelm the content of my playlogs. However, the amount of story in the Tellius games is ordinarily ideal for actual normal play. Especially since I usually have the option to skip the story once I'm done wanting to sit through it, something I can' do when I'm obligated to see as much of the story as I can to determine if I have any comments to make on it.

Strangely though this is making me look forward to FE11, since there's going to be significant cutback on narrative size. And one thing I think I'm going to do when I get to that game is re-read each entry for each chapter in my FE1 playlog as I play that chapter in the new one, since those early-marathon playlog entries are so short. Try to remind myself of anything I noticed was different about the original.

Just going to say it now, feel free to ignore supports entirely from this pointo ut in write ups. Because you're going to be reading a hell of a lot more of them from Awakening (and even in New mystery to a lesser extent) onwards.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

Just going to say it now, feel free to ignore supports entirely from this pointo ut in write ups. Because you're going to be reading a hell of a lot more of them from Awakening (and even in New mystery to a lesser extent) onwards.

Not sure how good of an idea that is, given how much of a window into the games' writing they can be. Also, I generally enjoy support conversations, unless they're in Three Houses.

Christ I wish I could justify skipping the supports in Three Houses.

12 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Alastor, while you take a break, I'm going to post this thread here which analyses Soren's strategies in part 3. Considering you are in the middle of part 3, the script should be fresh in your head and so you might actually enjoy reading the thread unlike the Demon King one. 

Just read up to where I am now. I generally agree with what you said so far, they did a fairly good job showing Soren as intelligent and a good strategist. If I had a complaint though, it's that what reputation Soren had for this in the last game was almost entirely offscreen, making the sudden change feel jarring. Though maybe that's an issue more with PoR than with RD.

8 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Just read up to where I am now. I generally agree with what you said so far, they did a fairly good job showing Soren as intelligent and a good strategist. If I had a complaint though, it's that what reputation Soren had for this in the last game was almost entirely offscreen, making the sudden change feel jarring. Though maybe that's an issue more with PoR than with RD.

I think Soren needed more screen time to strategize in PoR but the problem with that would be that the writers want to establish Ike as a good tactician in PoR but then he doesn't show much tactics in RD as all the other commanders and Soren are just giving him the orders. Where did you read up to, chapter 3-7 or chapter 3-4? 

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

I think Soren needed more screen time to strategize in PoR but the problem with that would be that the writers want to establish Ike as a good tactician in PoR but then he doesn't show much tactics in RD as all the other commanders and Soren are just giving him the orders. Where did you read up to, chapter 3-7 or chapter 3-4? 

3-7. And yeah, that's what ultimately confuses me. I have no idea who I'm playing as in these games. Am I playing as Ike, or Soren, or just literally everyone in my army at once while they all do whatever I decide "their own thing" is?

19 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

When is Ike shown to be a good tactician in Path of Radiance?

16 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

3-7. And yeah, that's what ultimately confuses me. I have no idea who I'm playing as in these games. Am I playing as Ike, or Soren, or just literally everyone in my army at once while they all do whatever I decide "their own thing" is?

What about 2-1? Your choices there are Nephenee or Brom! Probably Nephenee, she seems to have more motivation there.

Honestly though I reckon you're meant to be playing as Ike (or whomever is the main lord). They're the ones you have to click on to give command orders to your remaining units and npcs. Soren does the strategy, Ike does the on the ground tactics.

Edited by Jotari

7 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

You're are playing as Ike and he's the one giving the orders on a per unit basis but the actual over arching strategy is done during group discussions, led by Soren. 

So which of his strategies do you prefer? I personally like his multi-pronged diversion in chapter 3-3. This isn't just a simple generic distraction + flank strategy but one that capitalizes on the strengths of the Hawk Tribe, beast tribe and Greil Mercenaries while exploiting the weaknesses of the Senators, Zelgius and the Central Army. From a feats basis, he managed to allow the Laguz Alliance to defeat a stronger, better equipped army on their own home turf who had the defensive positions and terrain advantage on their side. He also proactively thought of the next phase of the war by not killing the senators. 

My second favourite strategy that he used was the drugged food trap at Mugil. It's very unique as far as strategies go and exploited Begnion defenses being on a lock down as an advantage for the laguz alliance. It also utilized Mist's innocence and charm to psychologically manipulate his enemies. 

4 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

You're are playing as Ike and he's the one giving the orders on a per unit basis but the actual over arching strategy is done during group discussions, led by Soren. 

So which of his strategies do you prefer? I personally like his multi-pronged diversion in chapter 3-3. This isn't just a simple generic distraction + flank strategy but one that capitalizes on the strengths of the Hawk Tribe, beast tribe and Greil Mercenaries while exploiting the weaknesses of the Senators, Zelgius and the Central Army. From a feats basis, he managed to allow the Laguz Alliance to defeat a stronger, better equipped army on their own home turf who had the defensive positions and terrain advantage on their side. He also proactively thought of the next phase of the war by not killing the senators. 

My second favourite strategy that he used was the drugged food trap at Mugil. It's very unique as far as strategies go and exploited Begnion defenses being on a lock down as an advantage for the laguz alliance. It also utilized Mist's innocence and charm to psychologically manipulate his enemies. 

3-3's definitely my favorite. The drugged food trap had one major problem I take issue with, as I said during Chapter 3-1: He should not by any stretch of the imagination have sent Lethe and Lyre to hand out the drugged food. There were sooooooo many ways that could have gone horribly wrong. It should've been Mia and maybe Titania with Mist, people who didn't have to hide their ears and tails and pray nobody noticed their eyes.

Edited by Alastor15243

15 minutes ago, Jotari said:

When is Ike shown to be a good tactician in Path of Radiance?

I'm not familiar with PoR's script but I remember a couple of base conversations where Ike talks about tactics. Furthermore, when Crimea is being liberated, Ike is coming up with strategies as well and it is Soren that agrees with him. 

9 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

3-3's definitely my favorite. The drugged food trap had one major problem I take issue with, as I said during Chapter 3-1: He should not by any stretch of the imagination have sent Lethe and Lyre to hand out the drugged food. There were sooooooo many ways that could have gone horribly wrong. It should've been Mia and maybe Titania with Mist, people who didn't have to hide their ears and tails and pray nobody noticed their eyes.

I think those two are in the background so they are less likely to get exposed and Mist is in the forefront for obvious reasons. 

What do you think about chapter 3-7? Prior to that chapter, the Laguz Alliance is surrounded and has to cross the river again. It's not as impressive as chapter 3-3 because the Daein Army isn't anywhere near the strength of the Begnion Central Army but one could argue that the situation is worse for the Laguz Alliance due to being on a strict timer as well as having taken a lot of casualties from the previous fights. 

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

What do you think about chapter 3-7? Prior to that chapter, the Laguz Alliance is surrounded and has to cross the river again. It's not as impressive as chapter 3-3 because the Daein Army isn't anywhere near the strength of the Begnion Central Army but one could argue that the situation is worse for the Laguz Alliance due to being on a strict timer as well as having taken a lot of casualties from the previous fights. 

Harder to comment on that since I haven't seen the ending scene yet.

Your point about the cavs not being able to cross is because these two maps actually use the same map. 3-7 is just scaled up slightly to allow you to see the other riverbank. Where zihark stands in 3-7 is where lethe is standing in 3-6. 

9 hours ago, Vicious Sal said:

Your point about the cavs not being able to cross is because these two maps actually use the same map. 3-7 is just scaled up slightly to allow you to see the other riverbank. Where zihark stands in 3-7 is where lethe is standing in 3-6. 

Wow, I actually didn't realize that due to the heavy fog of war, but that makes sense! Thanks!

On 8/29/2020 at 10:38 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Harder to comment on that since I haven't seen the ending scene yet.

You have played through part two and from my understanding enjoyed it immensely so take a look at my Lucia strategy analysis. You complained how Eirika lacks agency and doesn't make meaningful decisions to drive the plot forward other than the times she messes up. So I think you'll enjoy Lucia more and think she'd make a great FE lord. 

Edited by Icelerate

7 hours ago, Icelerate said:

You have played through part two and from my understanding enjoyed it immensely so take a look at my Lucia strategy analysis. You complained how Eirika lacks agency and doesn't make meaningful decisions to drive the plot forward other than the times she messes up. So I think you'll enjoy Lucia more and think she'd make a great FE lord. 

Noble? Check.

Swords? Check.

Blue hair? Check.

Gets a portrait re-design mid-game? Check.

Her death causes a Game Over? Check.

Are we sure Lucia wasn't a Lord already?

Alastor, in chapter 1-P, is it Edward who says this line or Micaiah?

According to SF, it is Micaiah but gamefaqs says it is Edward. Based on their personality, I'm guessing Edward. 

Edward:
“They’re worse than useless! We’ll be glad to help you. Just find someplace to hide, and leave those bandits to us.”

Micaiah:
“And don’t worry about us. We happen to be members of that same Dawn Brigade that the Begnion troops are so interested in!”

Micaiah: They're worse than useless! We'll be glad to help you. Just find 
    someplace to hide, and leave those bandits to us.

Edward: And don't worry about us. We happen to be members of that same Dawn 
    Brigade that the Begnion troops are so interested in!

Nvm, I checked YouTube, and I was correct. It is Edward who boasts about being the Dawn Brigade. SerenesForest script is wrong. 

Edited by Icelerate

5 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Alastor, in chapter 1-P, is it Edward who says this line or Micaiah?

According to SF, it is Micaiah but gamefaqs says it is Edward. Based on their personality, I'm guessing Edward. 

Edward:
“They’re worse than useless! We’ll be glad to help you. Just find someplace to hide, and leave those bandits to us.”

Micaiah:
“And don’t worry about us. We happen to be members of that same Dawn Brigade that the Begnion troops are so interested in!”

Micaiah: They're worse than useless! We'll be glad to help you. Just find 
    someplace to hide, and leave those bandits to us.

Edward: And don't worry about us. We happen to be members of that same Dawn 
    Brigade that the Begnion troops are so interested in!

Nvm, I checked YouTube, and I was correct. It is Edward who boasts about being the Dawn Brigade. SerenesForest script is wrong. 

From the copy paste code it looks like it's game faqs that's wrong.

Oh wait, which line were you referring to? Because I assumed it was the first. That might be  a misassumption if you're saying the serenes script is wrong though.

Edited by Jotari

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

From the copy paste code it looks like it's game faqs that's wrong.

Oh wait, which line were you referring to? Because I assumed it was the first. That might be  a misassumption if you're saying the serenes script is wrong though.

Edward is definitely the one who says "We happen to be members of that same Dawn Brigade".

Alright, so, I'll be starting again tomorrow! Hope you don't mind though, I'll be using a battle save towards the end just to make sure I don't have to restart the chapter because BK procs eclipse. If anyone could refresh my memory about how the AI works on that last island also, that would be awesome. It feels like it's been a while, and hopefully that translates to more energy!

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Alright, so, I'll be starting again tomorrow!

Great!

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

It feels like it's been a while, and hopefully that translates to more energy!

No need to rush, go at your own pace.

I feel like I should point out that I do read these, I just don't often find stuff to say since I'm only reallyy emotionally invested in your takes on roasting FE9 Berwick Saga and Sacred Stones, so I try not to start arguments and stuff.

Also, even though it's really late, I would suggest playing one route of three houses on Maddening then the rest on hard because of how long and boring Maddening is. Personally, I think that mentioning the absurd gap between Hard and Maddening is something worth talking about when rating Three Houses.

(Speaking of which, do @ me when you get close to Berwick Saga, it's got a few things that are different from most FE that might need explaining. I'm certainly no expert on Berwick, though.)

1 minute ago, Benice said:

(Speaking of which, do @ me when you get close to Berwick Saga, it's got a few things that are different from most FE that might need explaining. I'm certainly no expert on Berwick, though.)

Duly noted. And don't worry about what you said about not having much to say. I learned pretty early on that a lot of people I'd love to hear from more often are only really talkative about one or two games in the series, so it's totally normal.