Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Alright, so, I'll be starting again tomorrow! Hope you don't mind though, I'll be using a battle save towards the end just to make sure I don't have to restart the chapter because BK procs eclipse. If anyone could refresh my memory about how the AI works on that last island also, that would be awesome. It feels like it's been a while, and hopefully that translates to more energy!

Re: the Black Knight, one strategy I've heard of is to have Ike attack the Black Knight with a Reaper (or Spectre, I forget which you can access) Card. That way, he won't counter, and you can have Haar rescue-ferry Ike away. Good luck!

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/24/2020 at 6:13 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Difficulty: While it certainly had a better start, by the end this game managed to somehow lose even to Sacred Stones. Ike and Oscar could just wade scalp-deep into enemy forces with literally no regard for the consequences. I don't think I checked enemy stats even once before sending those two in, at least not after, like, Chapter 18 or so. It was utterly, comically mindless. Meanwhile, Sacred Stones managed to throw enough danger at me that I actually managed to lose quite a few units, at least on Ephraim Route, whereas here, there was only one casualty, which wasn't even due to me making a stupid tactical decision. This game's difficulty just does not scale well, and the enemies in Sacred Stones, by the end of the game, were way more intimidating, especially when it came to offense. And given how low I ranked that game... that's saying something. I don't feel comfortable putting it below Book 1 or Dark Dragon, but it's definitely going pretty damned low.

I could see where you're coming from with this, but one thing about Sacred Stones that sticks out like a sore thumb to me is, even the endgame enemies are pathetic to the point where even base level Seth can handle some of them. Look at this:

Spoiler

Lvl 5 Wights: 38-41 HP, 14-15 Str, 11-12 Skl, 10-12 Spd, 2-4 Lck, 8-10 Def, 7-9 Res

Steel Sword: 22-23 Atk, 98-101 Hit, 20-26 Avoid, 5-6 Crit, 9-11 AS

Steel Lance: 24-25 Atk, 93-96 Hit, 14-20 Avoid, 5-6 Crit, 6-8 AS

Killer Edge: 24-25 Atk, 98-101 Hit, 22-28 Avoid, 35-36 Crit

Javelin: 20-21 Atk, 88-91 Hit, 18-24 Avoid, 5-6 Crit, 8-10 AS

Lvl 6 Wights: 39-41 HP, 14-15 Str, 12-13 Skl, 10-12 Spd, 3 Lck, 8-9 Def, 8-9 Res

Killer Edge: 23-24 Atk, 100-102 Hit, 23-27 Avoid, 36 Crit

Axereaver: 24-25 Atk, 95-97 Hit, 19-23 Avoid, 11 Crit, 8-10 AS

Lancereaver: 23-24 Atk, 100-102 Hit, 23-27 Avoid, 11 Crt

Lvl 7 Gorgons: 32-33 HP, 25-27 Mag, 12-13 Skl, 10-12 Spd, 8-9 Lck, 7-9 Def, 18-20 Res

Demon Surge: 36-38 Atk, 108-110 Hit, 28-33 Avoid, 6 Crit

Stone: 93-95 Hit, 28-33 Avoid

Lvl 8 Gorgons: 31-33 HP, 24-25 Mag, 11-12 Skl, 11 Spd, 10 Lck, 9 Def, 19 Res

Demon Surge: 35-36 Atk, 107-109 Hit, 32 Avoid, 6 Crit

Shadowshot: 37-38 Atk, 97-99 Hit, 14 Avoid, 11 Crit, 2 AS

Lvl 5 Elder Baels: 57-59 HP, 20-22 Str, 11-12 Skl, 10-11 Spd, 2 Lck, 15 Def, 9 Res

Lethal Talon: 30-32 Atk, 83-85 Hit, 22-24 Avoid, 5-6 Crit

Lvl 7 Elder Bael: 62 HP, 22 Str, 13 Skl, 10 Spd, 3 Lck, 15 Def, 8 Res

Lethal Talon: 32 Atk, 87 Hit, 23 Avoid, 6 Crit

Lvl 5 Gwyllgi: 39 HP, 14 Str, 21 Skl, 23 Spd, 6 Lck, 9 Def, 7 Res

Hellfang: 27 Atk, 125 Hit, 52 Avoid, 10 Crit

Lvl 8 Gwyllgi: 39 HP, 15 Str, 23 Skl, 21 Spd, 8 Lck, 9 Def, 9 Res

Hellfang: 28 Atk, 130 Hit, 50 Avoid, 11 Crt

Lvl 10 Dracozombies: 80-81 HP, 22 Atk, 16-17 Skl, 7 Spd, 7-8 Lck, 30-31 Def, 15-16 Res

Wretched Air: 32 Atk, 135-138 Hit, 21-22 Avoid, 8 Crit

Lvl 8 Maelduin: 47 HP, 18 Str, 12 Skl, 13 Spd, 3 Lck, 13 Def, 9 Res

Swordreaver: 29 Atk, 90 Hit, 27 Avoid, 11 Crit, 12 AS

Out of those, the Dracozombies and Gwyllgis are the only ones that would give him trouble. Of course, the Dracozombies scare everyone, because defense means jack shit to them. Which seriously makes me hope that the devs can actually make it challenging in a remake, because there's no real excuse for almost everything to STILL be below level 10 at this point.

Edited by Shadow Mir

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I could see where you're coming from with this, but one thing about Sacred Stones that sticks out like a sore thumb to me is, even the endgame enemies are pathetic to the point where even base level Seth can handle some of them. Look at this:

Hide contents

Lvl 5 Wights: 38-41 HP, 14-15 Str, 11-12 Skl, 10-12 Spd, 2-4 Lck, 8-10 Def, 7-9 Res

Steel Sword: 22-23 Atk, 98-101 Hit, 20-26 Avoid, 5-6 Crit, 9-11 AS

Steel Lance: 24-25 Atk, 93-96 Hit, 14-20 Avoid, 5-6 Crit, 6-8 AS

Killer Edge: 24-25 Atk, 98-101 Hit, 22-28 Avoid, 35-36 Crit

Javelin: 20-21 Atk, 88-91 Hit, 18-24 Avoid, 5-6 Crit, 8-10 AS

Lvl 6 Wights: 39-41 HP, 14-15 Str, 12-13 Skl, 10-12 Spd, 3 Lck, 8-9 Def, 8-9 Res

Killer Edge: 23-24 Atk, 100-102 Hit, 23-27 Avoid, 36 Crit

Axereaver: 24-25 Atk, 95-97 Hit, 19-23 Avoid, 11 Crit, 8-10 AS

Lancereaver: 23-24 Atk, 100-102 Hit, 23-27 Avoid, 11 Crt

Lvl 7 Gorgons: 32-33 HP, 25-27 Mag, 12-13 Skl, 10-12 Spd, 8-9 Lck, 7-9 Def, 18-20 Res

Demon Surge: 36-38 Atk, 108-110 Hit, 28-33 Avoid, 6 Crit

Stone: 93-95 Hit, 28-33 Avoid

Lvl 8 Gorgons: 31-33 HP, 24-25 Mag, 11-12 Skl, 11 Spd, 10 Lck, 9 Def, 19 Res

Demon Surge: 35-36 Atk, 107-109 Hit, 32 Avoid, 6 Crit

Shadowshot: 37-38 Atk, 97-99 Hit, 14 Avoid, 11 Crit, 2 AS

Lvl 5 Elder Baels: 57-59 HP, 20-22 Str, 11-12 Skl, 10-11 Spd, 2 Lck, 15 Def, 9 Res

Lethal Talon: 30-32 Atk, 83-85 Hit, 22-24 Avoid, 5-6 Crit

Lvl 7 Elder Bael: 62 HP, 22 Str, 13 Skl, 10 Spd, 3 Lck, 15 Def, 8 Res

Lethal Talon: 32 Atk, 87 Hit, 23 Avoid, 6 Crit

Lvl 5 Gwyllgi: 39 HP, 14 Str, 21 Skl, 23 Spd, 6 Lck, 9 Def, 7 Res

Hellfang: 27 Atk, 125 Hit, 52 Avoid, 10 Crit

Lvl 8 Gwyllgi: 39 HP, 15 Str, 23 Skl, 21 Spd, 8 Lck, 9 Def, 9 Res

Hellfang: 28 Atk, 130 Hit, 50 Avoid, 11 Crt

Lvl 10 Dracozombies: 80-81 HP, 22 Atk, 16-17 Skl, 7 Spd, 7-8 Lck, 30-31 Def, 15-16 Res

Wretched Air: 32 Atk, 135-138 Hit, 21-22 Avoid, 8 Crit

Lvl 8 Maelduin: 47 HP, 18 Str, 12 Skl, 13 Spd, 3 Lck, 13 Def, 9 Res

Swordreaver: 29 Atk, 90 Hit, 27 Avoid, 11 Crit, 12 AS

Out of those, the Dracozombies and Gwyllgis are the only ones that would give him trouble. Of course, the Dracozombies scare everyone, because defense means jack shit to them.

I think you're forgetting the magic users, who have some pretty damned nasty attacks, especially the ones with shadowshot.

Edited by Alastor15243

Just now, Alastor15243 said:

I think you're forgetting the magic users, who ahve some pretty damned nasty attacks, especially the ones with shadowshot.

That's what Pure Water is for. In any instance, I would use someone with high resistance as bait and make the enemy units with Shadowshot waste them, then walk up and knock the fools on the head.

Just now, Shadow Mir said:

That's what Pure Water is for. In any instance, I would use someone with high resistance as bait and make the enemy units with Shadowshot waste them, then walk up and knock the fools on the head.

Which is more strategy than I ever needed to use in PoR lategame.

I know that the fact that PoR had its hardest difficulty removed from the overseas release was probably mentioned already, but... It's not a well-known fact that Sacred Stones also had its difficulty toned down when it was released overseas, is it?

11 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I know that the fact that PoR had its hardest difficulty removed from the overseas release was probably mentioned already, but... It's not a well-known fact that Sacred Stones also had its difficulty toned down when it was released overseas, is it?

I do recall some things being changed, yes.

Radiant Dawn Day 26: Chapter 3-7, Take 2

Hey everyone, I'm back! And I'll be honest...

...I do not feel any more excited to do this chapter than I was last Thursday.

But fuck it! We're more than halfway done with the game, so let's get moving!

It's really frustrating to feel this way about a game that I know is better than it feels at the moment. I think the insane focus on dialogue has just burned me out on this game in a way that apparently a week-long vacation isn't enough to fix. Hell, maybe it made it worse by giving me more time to get attached to some other hobbies of mine again. But this is my project, and I'm gonna see it through to the end, because I know how much fun I normally have with it.

I'm just gonna have to be infinitely grateful that it'll be ten more games (counting the three saga games) before I have to sit through anything this story-heavy.

So enough venting to strangers who came here to have some fun! Let's do this!

I switched out Titania for Shinon since, while I feel Oscar's still gonna be useful for storming the first area quickly, Titania has nothing similar to justify her complete inability to leave the first area of the map.

I'll be using battle saves here when approaching the final island, mostly because for the purposes of this marathon I simultaneously want to do this right and don't want to do it again. I don't hold this fully against the game, since this isn't a shitty map objective so much as a shitty easter egg objective. Really, this map is comically easy to win conventionally, since I just have to survive for 12 turns.

...I'm on turn 4 and I have nothing of interest to comment on. This entry may be pretty damned short due to all the shit I'm simply redoing.

Alright, just made my first battle save on Turn 5. I'm gonna see what I can learn about the enemy AI by just having Haar charge straight onto the bottom island from up north.

Haar promptly got obliterated by the Black Knight. Alright. Good to know.

...The game saves the enemy ranges you highlighted on battle saves, but not between turns.

How utterly infuriascinating.

...Apparently I could have recruited Janaff and Ulki all this time just by talking to them with Reyson. Wow. Okay. Well, no big deal, I have them now.

Funny how Ulki's the faster one in this game. That was Janaff last time. At any rate, they're pretty dang good, especially for hit and run chip damage. I just wish they stayed in bird form longer. Man, it would be great if I could get that gauge-refreshing galdr.

Alright, mission part 1 accomplished. Ike lured the Black Knight up north and survived. Now to lure him even further away and then equip a wind sword in case Ike actually has to fight back, that way Soren can safely rush in and attack Micaiah while guarded by Janaff and Haar.

Alas, no luck disarming the physic users so far.

...Make that no luck disarming the physic users at all. We're done here. Soren's about to fight Micaiah.

...Ooh, this is cool music. I haven't heard this music before.

This scene is... a bit edgy, but also kinda interesting. If only the writing were a bit better and the branded lore weren't so ridiculous, this might be really cool.

Soren procced adept and took Micaiah out in one round. Now I've just gotta check to see if that's a problem...

...No, it looks like that's fine. Alright, time to finish off the turn.

Oh, incidentally, Nolan was a lot easier to handle than I thought he'd be. Since he only gets a +20 ish bonus to avoid, as long as you double him with somebody who can't one-round him, you can then finish him off pretty reliably.

...Okay, we're done.

...It's interesting that this plan of Soren's only worked because Micaiah didn't get any prophecy warnings due to fatigue.

Then we get a short scene of Pelleas talking to Lekain, and really, honestly, if they can teleport into the capitals of enemy countries completely unimpeded like this, I have to ask why they're even bothering with shit like blood pacts when they can assassinate the Greil Mercenaries in their sleep with ease.

Waaaaaaait, what?

Almedha just said that Lekain wound up leading the inspection team to Daein after all, that he came “in Duke Persis's stead”, when Sanaki explicitly said that Sephiran would be doing the inspection and turned down Lekain's “offer” to do it. Were Sephiran and Sanaki already captured by the point the inspection actually happened? What the fuck is going on here?

And with that, we're done here. Well, a nice short episode to ease me back into the swing of things sounds pretty good to me. So I'll leave it off here.

Stay safe, everyone!

Then we get a short scene of Pelleas talking to Lekain, and really, honestly, if they can teleport into the capitals of enemy countries completely unimpeded like this, I have to ask why they're even bothering with shit like blood pacts when they can assassinate the Greil Mercenaries in their sleep with ease.

Almedha just said that Lekain wound up leading the inspection team to Daein after all, that he came “in Duke Persis's stead”, when Sanaki explicitly said that Sephiran would be doing the inspection and turned down Lekain's “offer” to do it. Were Sephiran and Sanaki already captured by the point the inspection actually happened? What the fuck is going on here?

Because you're wrong and they can't. Unless you think the entire army falls asleep at the same time. Furthermore, the royal palace is in a known fixed place but the exact location of a sleeping enemy isn't. 

Sephiran probably asked Lekain to do it because he knew about Lekain's plan which would have facilitated the war he wanted. 

Edited by Icelerate

5 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Because you're wrong and they can't. Unless you think the entire army falls asleep at the same time. Furthermore, the royal palace is in a known fixed place but the exact location of a sleeping enemy isn't. 

It's not a question of all being asleep at the same time, it's a question of being asleep at all without someone literally inside your tent watching in case someone teleports in. And there were numerous moments where they *were* in fact sleeping in fixed areas like castles and the enemy knew that, and also Lekain seems perfectly capable of knowing whether the place he's teleporting to is gonna have any witnesses somehow. Just warp in some assassins! Or better yet, he could do it himself since he's so tough, and then warp out!

Edited by Alastor15243

It's not a question of all being asleep at the same time, it's a question of being asleep at all without someone literally inside your tent watching in case someone teleports in. And there were numerous moments where they *were* in fact sleeping in fixed areas like castles and the enemy knew that, and also Lekain seems perfectly capable of knowing whether the place he's teleporting to is gonna have any witnesses somehow. Just warp in some assassins! Or better yet, he could do it himself since he's so tough, and then warp out!

Lekain can't pinpoint the exact location where someone is sleeping or whether there are people sleeping, awake or alone to begin with. He doesn't have the ability to sense things. Also, it is OoC for the senators to go on these types of assassination missions. They prefer ordering their goons around while they stay safe. 

Rewarp staff only works on the user, he can't warp in assassins as there is no staff in Tellius that can warp someone across the map, other than rescue staff which only works to warp someone closer to you, unlike other FE games. Using the rewarp staff creates noise, which removes the possibility of a surprise attack. It also finishes your turn which is a testament to the fact that after using it, you can't immediately attack before the enemy can respond and you're also defenseless as you have equipped a staff instead of a tome or weapon in the moment after teleporting. You can argue that there is gameplay-story segregation but then you must show me an instance in the story that refutes my usage of the gameplay. 

Arguing RD's plot is negatively warped by the rewarp staff is a lot more difficult than other FE games so I suggest you don't go down this rabbit hole unless you want to get thoroughly refuted

Edited by Icelerate

14 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Rewarp staff only works on the user, he can't warp in assassins as there is no staff in Tellius that can warp someone across the map unlike other FE games. Using the rewarp staff creates noise, which removes the possibility of a surprise attack. It also finishes your turn which is a testament to the fact that after using it, you can't immediately attack before the enemy can respond and you're also defenseless as you have equipped a staff instead of a tome or weapon in the moment after teleporting. You can argue that there is gameplay-story segregation but then you must show me an instance in the story that refutes my usage of the gameplay. 

Are you suggesting it would take less than a turn to wake up, grab your weapon, and be able to defend yourself? Because if not I fail to see how the "takes your turn" and "creates noise" points matter for a quick assassination. Keep in mind we are given no indication that Ike has made any contingency plans for warp powder despite being aware of its existence since last game.

Also keep in mind that teleportation has been used successfully to ambush and capture people before. Remember Leanne?

Edited by Alastor15243

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

Are you suggesting it would take less than a turn to wake up, grab your weapon, and be able to defend yourself? Because if not I fail to see how the "takes your turn" and "creates noise" points matter for a quick assassination.

Warp happens, sleeping elite warrior wakes up and immediately gets up and then Lekain switches to a light tome and attacks the person who takes some damage but there is no proof he'd be able to one shot them when Micaiah failed to one shot her opponent with light magic after ambushing them in the swamp in chapter 1-8. Then Lekain is no longer wielding his staff and is a sitting duck for everyone else that shows up who were in the general vicinity.  

Rewarp staves also have limited uses so even if he gets away, he just wasted uses on a failed assassination attempt. 

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

Then Lekain is no longer wielding his staff and is a sitting duck for everyone else that shows up who were in the general vicinity.  

I'm sorry, what? You won't have to spend a whole turn merely equipping the staff. The second you stop fighting you can switch to the staff and teleport away.

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I'm sorry, what? You won't have to spend a whole turn merely equipping the staff. The second you stop fighting you can switch to the staff and teleport away.

He doesn't just stop fighting, he has no luxury to do so. Sure he can switch to the staff after attacking with a light tome but he can't just teleport away until after he gets attacked since he's already used up his turn when using the light tome. You can argue I'm taking gameplay too literally but then you'd have to find a counter example in the story where warp is used to carry out surprise attacks so effectively to warrant ignoring gameplay. 

5 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

He doesn't just stop fighting, he has no luxury to do so. Sure he can switch to the staff after attacking with a light tome but he can't just teleport away until after he gets attacked since he's already used up his turn when using the light tome. You can argue I'm taking gameplay too literally but then you'd have to find a counter example in the story where warp is used to carry out surprise attacks so effectively to warrant ignoring gameplay. 

Black Knight capturing Leanne. He perfectly teleported into a castle in a country he has never been welcome in, somehow managed to find an unoccupied room to warp into, and took out any witnesses before they could fly away to warn Tibarn. All while "sapped of strength" allegedly. And wearing heavy armor.

Edited by Alastor15243

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I do recall some things being changed, yes.

I brought it up because I was looking through someone's blog of the top 10 most annoying enemies in the Fire Emblem series, and Sacred Stones's Gorgons made the list at number 10 (something I could agree with, as both Stone and Shadowshot are pretty nasty). Then I saw a blurb that said that they were even worse in the Japanese version as they had flier movement. Which makes me wonder what else was changed.

12 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I brought it up because I was looking through someone's blog of the top 10 most annoying enemies in the Fire Emblem series, and Sacred Stones's Gorgons made the list at number 10 (something I could agree with, as both Stone and Shadowshot are pretty nasty). Then I saw a blurb that said that they were even worse in the Japanese version as they had flier movement. Which makes me wonder what else was changed.

Wait, gorgons could fly!?

Black Knight capturing Leanne. He perfectly teleported into a castle in a country he has never been welcome in, somehow managed to find an unoccupied room to warp into, and took out any witnesses before they could fly away to warn Tibarn. All while "sapped of strength" allegedly.

Did he knew the room was unoccupied or took a gamble because he is strong enough to do so? I don't think Lekain would have been able to pull this stunt off even with a rewarp staff. 

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

Did he knew the room was unoccupied or took a gamble because he is strong enough to do so?

Ask yourself: is there any conceivable way that the writers actually did that? Is there even the tiniest chance that that was what the writers had in mind when they wrote that scene? That the Black Knight's creepy, flawlessly-executed sneak attack was in reality a ridiculous fluke that could have just as easily resulted in him warping headlong into a wardrobe and toppling it over right in front of them?

Ask yourself: is there any conceivable way that the writers actually did that? Is there even the tiniest chance that that was what the writers had in mind when they wrote that scene? That the Black Knight's creepy, flawlessly-executed sneak attack was in reality a ridiculous fluke that could have just as easily resulted in him warping headlong into a wardrobe and toppling it over right in front of them?

My point was that it being flawlessly-executed without an explanation is bad writing. How does he even know when Tibarn was going to go before he can attack Leanne unguarded? 

Nor do I see this as a reason that the Senators not using rewarp staves to carry out assassinations as bad writing when there is no reason to believe they are as skilled as the Black Knight or even capable of doing much damage. 

Leanne's case was different because she was needed by Ashnard for her purposes while the Begnion Senators don't really need a particular target dead or alive. 

2 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

My point was that it being flawlessly-executed without an explanation is bad writing. How does he even know when Tibarn was going to go before he can attack Leanne unguarded? 

Nor do I see this as a reason that the Senators not using rewarp staves to carry out assassinations as bad writing when there is no reason to believe they are as skilled as the Black Knight or even capable of doing much damage. 

Leanne's case was different because she was needed by Ashnard for her purposes while the Begnion Senators don't really need a particular target dead or alive. 

Problem: they went and made staves that were even more powerful than warp powder, which was already suspect, and made no efforts to justify why they didn't do what they already established was achievable with warp powder. There was no reason to make rewarp staves so ridiculously long-range when warp powder was already a thing, and now they've made things even worse.

3 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Problem: they went and made staves that were even more powerful than warp powder, which was already suspect, and made no efforts to justify why they didn't do what they already established was achievable with warp powder. There was no reason to make rewarp staves so ridiculously long-range when warp powder was already a thing, and now they've made things even worse.

They didn't make anything worse. Rewarp staves being more powerful doesn't mean anything as I've already explained. It is good writing because it shows Begnion is continuously advancing in their magic research. 

Edited by Icelerate

4 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

They didn't make anything worse. Rewarp staves being more powerful doesn't mean anything as I've already explained. It is good writing because it shows Begnion is continuously advancing in their magic research. 

They could have easily done that while keeping teleportation exclusive to the Black Knight, which they had an opportunity to do since warp powder had never been established as available to anyone else. But they instead needlessly doubled down on the inconsistent logic and poorly-explained capabilities of teleportation when Pelleas could have easily been in contact with Lekain via sending stone. Nothing in gameplay required the rewarp staves to be cross-country. In fact, that just raises more questions about how they work in-game.

Edited by Alastor15243

Just now, Alastor15243 said:

They could have easily done that while keeping teleportation exclusive to the Black Knight, which they had an opportunity to do since warp powder had never been established as available to anyone else. But they instead needlesslu doubled down on the inconsistent logic and poorly-explained capabilities of teleportation when Pelleas could have easily been in contact with Lekain via sending stone.

The senators having access to rewarp is fitting as they are the heads of Begnion and have superior magical prowess compared to someone like the Black Knight. Only the laguz can use sending stone.