Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

5 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Actually, sorry, no, one more comment: What was Dierdre doing in the castle anyway? The village elder (props to the new translation for actually explaining who the old man was, btw) says they don't interact with the outside world, so clearly there must have been a reason. What was it? Why was she so conveniently there, allowing her to have spoken with Aideen and heard about Sigurd, giving their brief encounter just the tiniest shred of emotional depth beyond sheer hormones?

Even though this is 100% non-canon, in the Oosawa manga she's there to buy groceries for her grandmother.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

4 levels for Dew so far, and not a single one of them got strength. They haven't been bad levels otherwise, mind. No HPsauce or lucksauce levels. He's even gotten two points of defense, and he's procced speed nearly every time! But holy shit is his strength garbage at the beginning of the game. The idea of this guy ever scoring a kill is starting to sound laughable, which is really, really sad.

Before playing FE4, I thought "Sure Dew has C Swords, no Pursuit, no horse, and 3 Str at base, but those growths are awesome, how bad can he be?". And then I actually play FE4, and in reality, oh he is bad, barely leveled the guy.

Oh well. Maybe I can salvage him with some rings. He can buy them easily after all. And if all else fails... he's still marrying Ayra, and thieves gain exp from using the “give” command, so I can always have him spend all of his downtime gaining 10 exp a turn having sexy naked coin fights with his wife.

Interesting imagination. Now you're bringing my own Dew-shipping into my mind again. Namely the one where he shows up in a big white ballgown to his wedding, to his fiancee Jamke's chagrin, but then Dew rips off the ballgown once at the altar to reveal the tux underneath. 

I think this and chapter 6 are the low points for the game's pacing. This map was clearly designed for story first and gameplay second, which... annoys me.

Unusual choices, most people I'd think would put the pacing problems on 2 or 4.

Words cannot describe how giddy I would be to discover that question actually has an answer and it isn't just some of this game's stupid nonsense amidst the gold.

My peculiar geographical attention goes to the next chapter. Why is the center of Agustria so forested, yet the rest so developed. I like to headcanon they copied the Green Heart (Groene Hart) of the Netherlands, a rural, less developed region of the country surrounded by dense cities.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Unusual choices, most people I'd think would put the pacing problems on 2 or 4.

I just realized I mistyped. I meant chapter 7 rather than 6. And upon reflection, definitely 5 too.

Edited by Alastor15243

Genealogy Day 6: Clearing the Thicket

Alright. Well the solution came to be pretty quickly after I shut off the game on Saturday. If I can't rush Jamke with Aideen, and if I can't stall for time by running away because I have a castle to defend from him and some of my units are slower than him... I'll have to rush him with everyone. Just wait until he clears the forest, then surround him on all sides with cavalry to pin him in until the bandits are clear. Because... y'know... he's still an archer.

Anyway, curiously, a bandit chose to attack Finn instead of the much-squishier Azel, and I'm not sure why. It's not like he was trying to minimize damage to himself, unless they do that even if the lesser damage can still kill them. That... what's going...

Oh. That's... bizarre. I know I switched the AI to “clever” at some point, but it must have gotten reset or something.

Moving on, Azel got a full left line of levels. HP, Strength, Magic and Defense.

Mission complete, Jamke is on our team! Pretty lame cliffhanger, I realize. My apologies. I immediately send him to clear out the arena, which he does with ease, because of course he does. Not only does he have Pursuit, Continue and Critical, but he's also fighting against enemies who are forced to use shittier weapons to fight him. Actually... is that true? Or do they buff the stats of axe and lance fighters forced to use hand axes and javelins against archers? Or do they just wield special ranged weapons that aren't actually weaker than their melee weapon of choice?

Right, just got Dierdre, and... Okay, “I love you” is a bit fucking much for your second conversation, isn't it, Sigurd? “I... I think I've fallen for you...” was a way better thing for him to say here.

Anyway, we have Dierdre, who... despite having terrible growths, would probably be a pretty okay unit with her bases, if it weren't for the fact that the only weapon she can wield in the entire first generation... weighs FUCKING TWENTY. Yeah. And you thought Azel had it bad? Not only is Aura 8 heavier than Fire, At least Azel can use Thunder and Wind later, and even until then he doesn't fight anything too fast for him to double outside of the arena! But not Dierdre. Even if she DID have Pursuit, she wouldn't be able to use it, and that's only because of that fucking tome of hers. She has a speed of twelve, which is pretty okay, but she can't do shit with it because her avoid is still negative ten.

How terrible is Aura? Her daughter, Julia, will either be one of the best or the absolute worst combat unit in your entire second generation army, hinging ENTIRELY upon whether you get her Nosferatu or Aura. Granted, Nosferatu is broken, but that still gives a good idea of how much of a millstone that fucking Aura tome is.

Still, for while we have her (which, spoiler alert, isn't very long at all), she's a pretty nice staff bot who can pretty easily be trained up with staves if you have the cash.

Damn but trekking through this forest is a pain. There's just a WHOOOOOOOOLE lot of nothing between recruiting Jamke and fighting Sandima. It's utterly ridiculous. Thankfully, I eventually get there. First off, I bait out the troops around Sandima from the western side, which doesn't have trees, so I don't have to get in Sandima's range to get in the bandits' range. And we run into the first non-boss enemy Sigurd can't kill in one turn! If literally only just barely. This allows me to bait out all of the archers one or two at a time with Azel, thereby securing even more exp and bringing him even closer to his goal of finally getting on a horse and making himself super useful.

Meanwhile, time to bring Lex over to that little peninsula to the east of this northwestern area. There, when I have Lex go right to the edge and end his turn, we get a special event where Lex gets himself a brave axe! Yep! Lex might not have pursuit, but if you know about this secret event, he has something even better: a brave weapon, in a game where you can repair them basically indefinitely! It also gives him a great arena cheesing option. Failed to kill your opponent? See if you can exploit his 1 HP to score a two-hit kill with vantage. It's a shame he doesn't have any cheaper options for one-rounding enemies, but he's a tank on a horse who can double and levels twice as fast. It's rare you find somebody in Gen 1 who isn't missing SOMETHING, so I'll take what I can get.

It just occurred to me to check the kill count on Azel's fire tome right as I kill the last minion. 33 kills. Pity I'm never going to use this thing again the second I get thunder next chapter.

As Sigurd, Ethlyn, Dierdre, Azel and Lex worked their way through clearing the final castle, I had Dew fight as far as he could go into the arena without wasting extra time. Which, with lots of healing for retries, was surprisingly far! I only stop at the steel blade general because while a hit rate in the low 10s may not seem that likely, it fucks up attempts often enough when Dew can only do one damage per attack and he has enough HP that Dew's slim sword basically needs a full repair every time he tries. I cut my losses and have him give up, quitting while he's ahead at 12k in gold.

I've always loved the “sudden stop to all music” that they've always had applied to the silence staff animation. In this game, however, it's a bit ruined by the fact that the staff gives 100 exp and therefore will always trigger both the level up jingle and the somewhat longer melody that plays while the stats are actually boosting. So It kind of ruins what would otherwise be pretty impressively creepy. Anyway, as a result, Dierdre gains an absolutely terrible HPsauce level. I know her growth rates are garbage, but with major Naga and minor Loptyr blood, you'd think she'd level at least magic or resistance!

I give Azel the kill because Sandima's magic ring isn't going to do anyone else much good until we get a magic sword. Which admittedly is literally at the start of next chapter, but even then, even with a magic boost, nobody mundane is going to be killing anything with magic swords right away. That's the thing with magic swords: their lightweight nature, not to mention their weapon type prevalence in your army, means they're easily the best option for 1-2 range for a physical fighter... eventually. Until they get kills on them though, they're gonna fail a heck of a lot to do lethal damage.

Anyway, Azel gets a terrible level up, but what matters is that he's now seven levels away from promoting. Which will probably be sometime next chapter, because we are OUT OF HERE.

Time for the closing cutscene of the chapter. Here we find King Batur, left for dead and bleeding out on the floor... or... whatever the hell that spell did to him.

...Speaking of which...

Okay, this is something that's always fascinated me. Now, as for how magic hurts people, for most cases we have an answer. Fire? Easy, it burns, we know what that does to people. Lightning? Same thing, we know full well what that can do to you. Wind? Well they generally make it look either like a massive concussive blast or like a sharpened shockwave, or in some cases they're basically ice elemental attacks, and we know that can kill too.

But dark and light magic? Maybe you can pass off light magic as some kind of radiation, but what exactly does dark magic do to the human body that causes it to stop working? Has any work of fiction ever bothered to explain that?

Beyond that, I have no comment. They didn't really change this text in any way I find objectionable or praiseworthy. I almost wish they did though, so I could pad out this abysmally short entry. Sorry guys, today was a busy day. I've been having more of them lately, which is unfortunate for my schedule here, but I'm not giving up! One entry every weekday, that's the schedule, and I'm sticking to it, even if I have to make shorter ones like this. Besides, we're finally getting into the fun games!

36 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

But dark and light magic? Maybe you can pass off light magic as some kind of radiation, but what exactly does dark magic do to the human body that causes it to stop working? Has any work of fiction ever bothered to explain that?

Light is most likely still heat whit an added "holy" effect that make it better againist demons,undeads and so on. Dark magic varies a lot depending on settings, in fire emblem is most likely curses and hexes that harm the body directly, like the "cause wound" line of spells in d&d. 

13 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Light is most likely still heat whit an added "holy" effect that make it better againist demons,undeads and so on. Dark magic varies a lot depending on settings, in fire emblem is most likely curses and hexes that harm the body directly, like the "cause wound" line of spells in d&d. 

I remember how SMTIV has differing animations for how you kill an enemy. For Death/Dark the body suddenly rots and crumbles, sounds feasible for FE. Expel/Light was being exorcized and teleported away to the afterlife- it doesn't work for FE, but Almighty is Light-ish visually, and that was being ripped apart to dust, sounds FEasible.

Just out of curiosity do you have plans for a Jamke pairing, or is Verdane going to remain part of the empire in the ending?

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

. Actually... is that true? Or do they buff the stats of axe and lance fighters forced to use hand axes and javelins against archers? Or do they just wield special ranged weapons that aren't actually weaker than their melee weapon of choice?

Nope, they don't get better weapons or stats, and even when they swap in some kind of Archer for a sword wielder, the archer tend to have similar stats to the sword wielder.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Right, just got Dierdre, and... Okay, “I love you” is a bit fucking much for your second conversation, isn't it, Sigurd? “I... I think I've fallen for you...” was a way better thing for him to say here.

Side note there is alternate dialogue if you have killed Sandima before recruiting her, which covers more of her back story. Additionally if Dierdre ever "dies" on a map, you will discover her kidnapped in the final castle of the map (same with Julia in gen 2).

Edited by Eltosian Kadath

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Side note there is alternate dialogue if you have killed Sandima before recruiting her, which covers more of her back story. Additionally if Dierdre ever "dies" on a map, you will discover her kidnapped in the final castle of the map (same with Julia in gen 2).

I actually noticed that shortly after posting. And holy shit... the "Sandima is already dead" dialogue of the original translation is even more excessive for a second meeting.

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

In case you are curious what the new translations version is like, here is a clip of it from a Let's play.

Thanks! As for Jamke, I don't have any plans for him. I didn't realize endings changed depending on who got married in the first gen though! I'll have to see if anything else like that happens due to my pairings. But yeah, Jamke has a lot of cool skills on paper, but you can't really rely on any one of them, and also he doesn't pass down pursuit.

4 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Thanks! As for Jamke, I don't have any plans for him. I didn't realize endings changed depending on who got married in the first gen though! I'll have to see if anything else like that happens due to my pairings. But yeah, Jamke has a lot of cool skills on paper, but you can't really rely on any one of them, and also he doesn't pass down pursuit.

To be fair this is the first translation that got the ending working, and your assessment of Jamke as a father is spot on. I tend to pair him in the new translation anyway, because I like having all the thrones occupied in the end. Hopefully Azel has a kid live all the way to the end, as that contains the only mention of the Fire Emblem in the whole of Jugdral.

I guess I'll be that guy that talks about the Oosawa manga.

In the Oosawa manga, Sigurd and Deirdre's second meeting is a bit... different.

Basically, Sigurd and his army tries to go after Sandima who then hits members of Sigurd's army with the Fenrir spell, which causes certain members of Sigurd's army (the only named person that got hit was the green paladin whose name I can't remember) to puke black blood until their skin turned black and they died. Sigurd gets into an argument with Quan because Sigurd blames himself for everything and Sigurd decides to walk into the Spirit Forest to try and clear his head.

What Sigurd accidentally finds in the Spirit Forest is Deirdre bathing.

Yep.

And they still profess their love in that scene.

2 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I guess I'll be that guy that talks about the Oosawa manga.

In the Oosawa manga, Sigurd and Deirdre's second meeting is a bit... different.

Basically, Sigurd and his army tries to go after Sandima who then hits members of Sigurd's army with the Fenrir spell, which causes certain members of Sigurd's army (the only named person that got hit was the green paladin whose name I can't remember) to puke black blood until their skin turned black and they died. Sigurd gets into an argument with Quan because Sigurd blames himself for everything and Sigurd decides to walk into the Spirit Forest to try and clear his head.

What Sigurd accidentally finds in the Spirit Forest is Deirdre bathing.

Yep.

And they still profess their love in that scene.

Well that's definitely one explanation for what black magic does. And the green cav is Alec.

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

Well that's definitely one explanation for what black magic does. And the green cav is Alec.

Thanks. Couldn't remember his name.

Alec, Naoise, and Arden don't do anything major in the Oosawa manga.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So F!Robin and Chrom are reincarnations of the couple then?

Tiki mentions in her support with Lucina that Chrom resembles an ancestor 1000 years before Marth who might be Sigurd, so that theory may not be as farfetched as you think.

46 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Tiki mentions in her support with Lucina that Chrom resembles an ancestor 1000 years before Marth who might be Sigurd, so that theory may not be as farfetched as you think.

Tiki and Lucina only talk about Marth in their support. She does say Lucina resembles Marth, but Chrom isn't mentioned at all.

19 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Tiki and Lucina only talk about Marth in their support. She does say Lucina resembles Marth, but Chrom isn't mentioned at all.

I guess I misread/misremembered it.

Genealogy Day 7: Rescuing “Raquesis”.

I really wish they had Sigurd talk more about the situation he's in. Sigurd ran straight into Verdane in the hopes of rescuing one woman, and suddenly that's escalated to conquering an entire fucking country in the span of what appears to be hours at most in an insane “one thing led to another” scenario.

Anyway, I just saw Eldigan talk with... ugh... “Raquesis”... and this new translation, while more verbose in some ways I don't like, managed to make me notice a few more details about this that really, really, REALLY damage my opinion of Eldigan. But before we get into that, two things:

First, I miss Manfloy's ominous “Hmhm... Yes, consider that a possibility” half-truth to Shagall after he announces his intentions to rule the continent. I can't quite remember what Manfloy said in this version, but it was something along the lines of “let's hope your ambitions succeed”, and that's not nearly as good of a line.

Second, I just wanna comment on the fact that, yet again, the plot revolves around nigh-instant transmission of messages. In fact, here, it's even worse. Three castles get word of the events of the opening pretty much simultaneously: Nordion gets a message, probably from spies, that Eldigan has been imprisoned, Evans gets a message, from Raquesis (so we can only assume that this chain of double messages must have taken twice as long to to reach him) that Raquesis needs help, and also Heirhein gets a message that they have orders to... oh... wait... do they? Shagall says words to that effect, but... they aren't... talking about said orders... at all.

...Well, that explains why I never remembered that Shagall gave the order to attack Nordion. The way Elliot and his father talk about it, it's as if they never got the order at all! They're all “What's that? Eldigan got himself tossed in the slammer? PERFECT! ELLIOT! THIS IS OUR CHANCE! INVADE AT ONCE, AND BRING BACK HIS WHORE OF A SISTER!” Like it was entirely an opportunistic action on their part, which is what I always remembered it being until now.

But why does this matter? Why is this such a crucial plot detail? Because it makes Eldigan's stereotypical Camus loyalty to Shagall much, MUCH worse. Here's what Shagall just did to Eldigan, in the span of like five minutes:

* Spout a childish tirade about his petty jealousy for how much his father liked Eldigan

* Throw Eldigan in prison

* Order an invasion of ELDIGAN'S OWN FUCKING CASTLE, TO BE INITIATED BY THE ENTITLED SLEAZEBAG WHO HAS TO HAVE HORRIBLE PLANS FOR RAQUESIS

At the end of this chapter, Manfloy is going to tell Shagall to talk to Eldigan and try to smooth things over.

What.

The FUCK.

Did Shagall tell him.

HOW COULD ELDIGAN NOT HAVE LEARNED THAT SHAGALL NEARLY GOT RAQUESIS RAPED AND/OR KILLED!? DID HE LITERALLY NEVER ONCE SPEAK TO ANYONE AT NORDION BETWEEN THE END OF THIS CHAPTER AND THE BEGINNING OF THE THIRD!?

...Yeah, this... I have so many questions here. The only thing I can think of is that Jugdral has sending stones, like in Tellius, except it's not just the elite Laguz using them. Jugdral basically has magical walkie talkie jewelry, and it has a network of messengers and spies tasked with keeping an ear open for important news and sending it their masters' way. Yes, that would explain everything.

...Except why Eldigan would have spies in the royal capital when he trusted both the previous and the new king completely. And, y'know, why they didn't bother to bring any of this up if the messengers they keep indirectly referring to were using such interesting magical technology.

Honestly, this is one of the things I think a remake would really help with: explaining how the hell information travels so fast, and doing some interesting worldbuilding with it in the process.

Honestly though, this might be one of my favorite chapters gameplaywise. There's just so much going on, so much to do, and a perpetual time limit forcing you to keep moving forward and rewarding you for going quickly, something that the previous chapter didn't have at all. Here, there are so many little bonuses you can get for doing pretty much every phase of the first half of this map quickly. You get a knight ring for saving all three of Raquesis's paladins, you get a bargain ring if you're super fast securing the first castle, and you get more money if you can have Lewyn and Sylvia deal with the bandits efficiently.

Shame it calms down a good deal in the second half, but after the terrible pacing of the last chapter, I welcome the rush while it lasts, especially since Fire Emblem games don't really figure out how to make challenging maps that don't apply pressure to you until Conquest (even if I would have preferred there being pressure to some of those maps as well). And that won't be for another 20 years at this point. Until then, the only way these maps can be good is if they keep applying pressure in some way, whether that be through forcing you forward, or having aggressive enemies advancing on you. I will say I'm more understanding of the game's pacing flaws now that I know that FE1 and FE3 had maps that were just as bad if not worse, but obviously that isn't going to mean much for the game's pacing score once we get further into the marathon.

Anyway, Azel gets the thunder tome, and with the help of his three rings, he easily tears the arena to shreds. I'm gonna have him sell some of those rings once he promotes, but a few of them are still going to be important for his son, namely the magic ring.

But as a result of his resounding victory, we get Holyn, or, as he's now known... wait... he's still Holyn. I thought he was Chulainn, as in the Irish hero Cú Chulainn. Maybe Project Naga didn't get the memo in time. But anyway, we have him, and he's... well generally Astra is a way better skill than Luna in this game, since it's rare you'd be fighting anything with defenses so high it would take more damage from one defense-negating attack than five regular ones.

At any rate, I finished up my castle preparations, sent everyone I could through the arena (unfortunately Finn and Lex wound up trapped at 1 HP when I overestimated their opponents), but Ethlyn should be able to heal them up by the time they see combat. Speaking of Ethlyn, her conversation with Dierdre results me noticing a very interesting change of the translation: so, it's not THE Light Sword, it's A light brand. An interesting change, and I'm not sure what the story behind it is. I'm guessing this is more accurate, and I think I like it, since it was weird before that it was apparently a one-of-a-kind artifact, and yet no questions about where it was obtained or what it even was were asked or answered.

So, now Ethlyn has our light brand. It's kind of Leif's signature weapon, and I have no intention of changing that in this playthrough. But in the meantime between now and when Ethlyn leaves, she's not going to be using it much. I want to rack up kills on it right away with someone who can actually fight with it.

I wish there were more room for units outside of the castle, especially considering the time constraints. The infantry are clumped together by the inconvenient forest patch right by the road and it's an absolute mess.

Actually, something occurs to me as I play... doesn't Augustria already border Grannvale? Why do they have to go through Evans to get there? They've outright stated that Sigurd's merry band is the only real military might Grannvale can muster with the main army away. But now not even Sigurd is defending Grannvale anymore! He's under strict orders to hold Evans! Granted, maybe they realized that if they did bypass him, they'd be making themselves vulnerable when Sigurd would charge them the second he got the orders to invade. But it seems weird that they seem to think they have to get through Sigurd in order to charge Grannvale. There has to be another entrance to Grannvale, and Sigurd would never be able to stop them if they wanted to send forces that way. Still, in hindsight it'll become clear they need all the forces they can get to stop the demigods residing in Evans, but it seems strange for this to be their attitude right now.

So, Heirhein's forces charge and... oh wow, Elliot, way to get even rapier... rapey-er, I mean... in this translation. He'll just send his army over so she can't refuse him again and “Maybe someday she'll even admit she wants it.”

Anyway, this is the first chapter where I need to focus on keeping my paired units together as much as possible. If you do it for all 50 of the first 50 turns, that's 250 points right there, half of the 500 you need, and that's ignoring the passive bonuses various pairings get just by existing on the same map. For this reason, you really only need like a chapter and a half to get any couple cemented. But then, chapters are pretty long, so that's still a fairly big investment.

No mater what you do, Eve (or Yves, as this translation calls him), is pretty likely to take a ton of damage on the enemy phase juuuuust before your team can arrive to help. So realistically, if you want to guarantee his (and therefore the knight ring's) survival, you need to keep him safe immediately. And I accomplish that. Quan and Sigurd, using javelins, kill the enemies surrounding him and block the exposed sides off before switching back to lighter weapons. It's a pretty dangerous move, but I need that knight ring. And if a decade and a half of playing Fire Emblem has taught me anything, it's that enemies are absolutely OBSESSED with green units, and won't gang up on anyone else until there isn't a drop of green blood left.

...I was wrong.

I was horribly, catastrophically wrong.

It looked like it was going well at first, with enemies obsessing over the healthier green units just as planned. But then suddenly, and seemingly arbitrarily, the rest of the enemy units started ganging up on Quan.

And then Elliot finished him off.

...I just gambled Ethlyn and Quan to secure the knight ring... and wound up trading them for it.

...And I think that's just about the dumbest gamble I have ever made in the history of ironmanning Fire Emblem.

...It's not really Quan who's the big loss here. Not as a unit. Quan's not that great of a fighter until he gets his legendary weapon, and that isn't until the second half of the next chapter, pretty much right before he leaves. He already married Ethlyn before the story even began, so I didn't miss out on any pairings. The real losses here are the indirect consequences. Losing Quan means we lost Ethlyn, which means we lost our mounted return staff healer, not to mention by extension we lost one of our heal staves and the return staff, and losing Quan means we lost the brave lance he gives Finn. That... is a big deal. The brave lance is one of the two brave weapons we get that we can pass down to gen 2, the other being the brave sword that Ayra can get if and only if she isn't married by the beginning of chapter 3 and Lex or Holyn give it to her.

This is a major blow. And to make matters worse, I basically just lost the only characters the Valkyrie staff can't bring back because they don't die.

So. I was an idiot, and I take full responsibility.

HOWEVER.

I think his pretty thoroughly cements getting the knight ring as a luck-based mission. You just can't get enough firepower there to reliably secure the paladins in time, because only mounted units can make it there by turn four, and even then only the promoted ones really have all that many options on who they can attack. Unless, say, you fed a ton of exp into Lex or something and he turned into a massive promoted tank, you have to gamble someone's life in the process of fighting that army. Either the paladins' or one of yours.

I concede that losing Quan was entirely avoidable. But I still feel the challenge here is unrealistically luck-based.

But I do wind up avenging his maiming shortly after and nab the silver lance for Finn, which should be super useful. It's no brave lance though.

Damn I'm gonna feel the sting of that the whole game. Of all the people I had to lose.

I rescue Raquesis just in time for Azel to arrive to start chatting it up with her. But now I have a bunch of shit I need to do quickly, a major setback I have to account for, a lot of thinking to do about how to do all of it.

So I think this is it for today. Only managed to secure the first castle (if Nordion even counts), but hopefully I've been able to make this part interesting. Until tomorrow, guys!

Edited by Alastor15243

14 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

The brave lance is one of the two brave weapons we get that we can pass down to gen 2, the other being the brave sword that Ayra can get if and only if she isn't married by the beginning of chapter 3 and Lex or Holyn give it to her.

*Checks* Early Chapter 8 for the Brave Lance then. Fee comes late in Chapter 6, so this only really affects Chapter 7 in Gen 2. The Gen 1 pains will be real though.

Shield Ring on Azelle? How'd that do? Perhaps that could partly compensate for your Gen 1 loss if he promotes soon?

18 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Actually, something occurs to me as I play... doesn't Augustria already border Grannvale?

It does, it's a border we never see on a gameplay map though. It looks to be mostly mountains as Chapter 2 shows and the world map suggests, except near Freege, and we never see the full border there. But it looks like an okay, if expectable invasion route, judging from Agusty in 2&3 and Freege in Final.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Shield Ring on Azelle? How'd that do? Perhaps that could partly compensate for your Gen 1 loss if he promotes soon?

I don't get the shield ring until later this chapter. It would probably be a good use for it though.

17 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I don't get the shield ring until later this chapter. It would probably be a good use for it though.

Still would be in time for the hardest fight in all of FE4- Eldigan and the Cross Knights. (I wonder if an FE4 remake would rename them something else, like Templars? Cross possibly sounds too blatantly Christian in a game that has no Christianity b/c fictional fantasy world.)

Azelle will have 11 Def minimum promoted with the Ring in tow, Finn would have 14, which admittedly is sorta significant depending on how many hits you need to take. Lachesis's protectors all have the same stats as the enemy Cross Knights to come IIRC, so 24 or 26 Atk each.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Still would be in time for the hardest fight in all of FE4- Eldigan and the Cross Knights. (I wonder if an FE4 remake would rename them something else, like Templars? Cross possibly sounds too blatantly Christian in a game that has no Christianity b/c fictional fantasy world.)

Azelle will have 11 Def minimum promoted with the Ring in tow, Finn would have 14, which admittedly is sorta significant depending on how many hits you need to take. Lachesis's protectors all have the same stats as the enemy Cross Knights to come IIRC, so 24 or 26 Atk each.

I have never struggled with the cross knights (I like that name by the way. What the cross refers to notwithstanding, I like how the name flows), since I always had Lachesis talk to Eldigan directly to end the fight immediately. They've always been ridiculously easy to intercept.

6 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I have never struggled with the cross knights (I like that name by the way. What the cross refers to notwithstanding, I like how the name flows), since I always had Lachesis talk to Eldigan directly to end the fight immediately. They've always been ridiculously easy to intercept.

But the Cross Knights (I do like the name myself) stay behind even after Eldigan leaves them? Is my memory failing me with that?

My one play of FE4 had me struggle with the CKs, they gun right for you home castle (in a good, challenging) way, and they have what I thought were, for the miserable lot that is most of the Gen 1 cast, dangerous stats. I just tried my best to do Amoeba FE- which is what FE4's challenges usually turn out to be. Trying to swallow an enemy army in single turn (barring a little enemy phase just beforehand), leaving it dead or no longer threatening. And the Cross Knights felt to me to be the hardest instance of this.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But the Cross Knights stay behind even after Eldigan leaves them? Is my memory failing me with that?

My one play of FE4 had me struggle with the CKs, they gun right for you home castle (in a good, challenging) way, and they have what I thought were, for the miserable lot that is most of the Gen 1 cast, dangerous stats. I just tried my best to do Amoeba FE- which is what FE4's challenges usually turn out to be. Trying to swallow an enemy mass in single turn (barring a little enemy phase just beforehand), leaving it dead or no longer threatening. And the Cross Knights felt to me to be the hardest instance of this.

I may be the one mis-remembering, but I have no memories of struggling to take out the cross knights. In fact I barely remember how I dealt with them last time when I did my mounted-only run a few months back.