Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

12 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Jesus Christ. How did my speed ranking tank that quickly!?

Possibly because of Hector's first chapter. There is a glitch in the programming with Hector-exclusive chapters where the Funds/EXP/Tactics values for them are all set to 0. Another reason Hector Mode was a bad idea.

The mistake makes EXP and Funds easier, since anything you obtain during these chapters will only be a positive, but every turn spent in these chapters is a pure negative. It's why you shouldn't get hung up too much on pre-final rankings. Even if it's bad going into Chapter 28 with a 3* in Tactics.

Excluding Chapter 11 Hector b/c glitch, the total turns required for 5* Tactics so far is 37 or less.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer
Corrected the turncount ranking

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I like how Hector, the presumably brash and reckless one, is the one who suspects a trap. Oswin helps, but Hector clearly had his own suspicions.

Hector is notably perceptive. Back in his first chapter he also noticed the assasins before they could strike him, letting him get the kill on one in the cutscene.

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Second off, because as far as I can tell, there's literally no benefit to saying “no”. If you deploy him and he survives, you level up. If you deploy him and he doesn't survive, he doesn't level up. If you don't deploy him at all... he still doesn't level up, and you don't get to use your merchant at all.

I vaguely remember some of the reinforcements being tied to whether or not Merlinus was deployed, but I could easily be remembering that wrong. The last time I said no to that prompt was when the game was only a year old or so.

6 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

That said though, why the fuck are they even taking Darin? They're using him to start a war in Lycia. Near as I can tell, that plan's fallen through, and he has very, very little to offer them at the moment. What exactly is he doing for Nergal on the Dread Isle in chapter 19, exactly? Is he funding them? Or was it an elaborate ruse so they could eventually harvest his quintessence? I mean, when Nergal makes those mega-morphs in the final battle, Darin's one of them, so that suggests, for all of his foolishness and cowardice, he has some kind of quality that makes him ideal for that sort of thing. Did he have a shitton of quintessence due to his raw ambition or something?

Of course the real answer is that they wanted to provide a boss that has plot relevance to close out the end of the first act while also not fighting the hyped up generals among the bad guys just yet. Ephidel seems more the obvious choice for that, but for some reason they went with Darin.

6 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Oswin seems to feel these “rumors”, as he puts them, are enough to justify basically severing ties with Eliwood and Pherae entirely, while Hector doesn't believe that Elbert is a traitor at all. I honestly get the feeling that we're not supposed to believe Erik, but I also weirdly don't remember this plot getting... any closure at all.

I recall getting no closure on this plot too and have long held it against the game's plot, so keep an eye out to see if we're wrong. Personally I like to believe Elbert did conspire to cause a coup as it stains him somewhat and subverts the whole noble father archtype while still not making him an outward villain (to Eliwood at least).

21 hours ago, Jotari said:

Of course the real answer is that they wanted to provide a boss that has plot relevance to close out the end of the first act while also not fighting the hyped up generals among the bad guys just yet. Ephidel seems more the obvious choice for that, but for some reason they went with Darin.

Yeah, that absolutely baffles me here, why they had it be Darin and not Ephidel. If I had to guess, it's so they didn't cheapen Limstella and Sonia by having Ephidel be way, way less powerful than them.

Edited by Alastor15243

Blazing Blade Day 11: Chapter 15

Alright! Time for the first Hector-Mode-exclusive chapter!

I just realized that the intro narration theme has a riff in it that sounds like the one they pepper all over Awakening's music. Fascinating coincidence there.

Wait... Eubans... the Hurricane? Isn't that nickname already taken by Legault?

Oh shit! Heath's making an early-bird cameo! Oh how I wish I could recruit him here.

I'm intrigued by FE7's interesting design decision to make bow users the bosses of several siege maps. It's an interesting way to mitigate bow users' weaknesses as bosses, making them part of a mobile enemy against a stationary player, rather than the other way around.

Anyway, this was pretty nerve-straining to prepare for. Another defense map almost right after the last one, which, if you'll remember, very quickly got out of hand. I won't be making the same mistake. I'm going for the treasure chests immediately, with Marcus. After that, I'll train my weaker units if I can. But if there's anything valuable in those chests, I need it. Badly.

...Curious that this chapter, which can only be seen after beating the game once, has Oswin essentially lecturing the player about what knights are good for like they wouldn't already know.

But yeah, I think this is gonna work. I had Oswin, Lowen and Marcus take the three spots outside of the throne room, I baited in the western nomad with Erk, and then I had Eliwood and Hector take care of the northeastern part. I really hope killing the boss doesn't end this map early, because he's so aggressive I might have to kill him before I can get the chests.

Lowen, like my other two cavs, still hasn't gotten much luck with speed level ups, but he leveled defense yet again, so hopefully people aren't kidding about the really low doubling benchmarks by the midgame.

A bunch of fighters showed up by the west side, and they could easily rip Erk to shreds if I'm unlucky. Looks like it's time to have Oswin and Lowen retreat to support the throne room while Marcus wipes out the excess ranged units with a single hand axe enemy phase. Also because Lowen and especially Oswin are taking a beating and need to heal. Yet again I find myself really spread thin on healing due to the heavy enemy density. I really need more vulneraries for situations like this.

I moved Eliwood over to take care of the fighters, since he has way less of a risk of dying horribly due to multiple kills and hits. Plus, he needs the experience still.

Thanks to some daring rescue-dropping, I managed to salvage the fact that Matthew was too far from the chests to make it in time. He'll grab the last chest on turn 7. And I absolutely am going to try to grab that dragonshield from the boss. Speaking of which...

Let's see... wait until turn 7 to kill the boss and risk not being able to kill him while I have the chance? Or try to kill him now, and if I succeed, risk whatever's in the chest I haven't unlocked yet?

...Fuck it, door number two please.

Looks like it paid off! I figured they wouldn't make a boss that aggressive an instant win condition. But I was still nervous because, well... you never know what the devs are thinking.

Lowen finally gets speed at the end of the map, and hey! He still gets defense!

Oswin: I'll tighten the castle defenses at once!

Hector: No, I grow weary of defending things. Let's pursue Marquess Laus and put him on the defensive!

...Um... so...

...who are you putting in charge now that you're leaving?

...Don't tell me it's Erik.

...It's Erik, isn't it?

You two just put him in charge, and he never stopped being in charge, and the years went by, and then presto spaghesto, suddenly he's trying to murder your descendants.

...*Sigh*.

...I suppose they are pressed for time.

...No, wait, that can't be what they're doing, because then what even was the point of this chapter if we were always just gonna give Castle Laus back to the kid of the guy those mercenaries were fighting for? Why was protecting the throne so important if we were going to abandon it anyway immediately after?

Honestly, this chapter makes this whole plot point feel worse, like... given they've spent time occupying the place, rather than simply defending themselves and moving on with their journey... it makes leaving Laus suddenly feel way more irresponsible than it did in Eliwood Mode.

On the plus side, it is an interesting narrative concept I'd have liked to see explored a bit more more: a bunch of mercenaries essentially following outdated orders simply because it's their job. It sounds like they just got news that Laus was taken and acted on their contract to take it, not realizing that Darin had basically given up on the place. That's a lot like how I remember their appearance later in the game too, and that's kind of an interesting concept. Like a downplayed and more organic and human version of a battle droid acting on outdated orders for a war that's been over for years.

...At any rate, that's it for today. Take care, everyone, and stay safe!

5 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Wait... Eubans... the Hurricane? Isn't that nickname already taken by Legault?

That's a mistranslation; I think Eubans's actual nickname was the Eagle or something.

7 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

That's a mistranslation; I think Eubans's actual nickname was the Eagle or something.

"Fierce Eagle" to be precise. It explains this chapter's name- the talons of Eubans have alighted- descended- upon you.

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

..Um... so...

...who are you putting in charge now that you're leaving?

...Don't tell me it's Erik.

...It's Erik, isn't it?

You two just put him in charge, and he never stopped being in charge, and the years went by, and then presto spaghesto, suddenly he's trying to murder your descendants.

Reexaming the script myself, there was a slim chance I could see them sparring him, despite the attempt he made on their lives, on the grounds that his father led him astray. The evil laugh in Eliwood's face made me want to quarter him, no true contrition there.

I get they wanted to try revisiting a chapter of Binding Blade, but this wasn't the best handling of it. Toning down Erik to awareness of his father's actions, yet hesitant to either wholeheartedly back them nor alert the rest of the League might have been a better idea. Dubious, yet not so criminal and beyond redemption to more realistically be deemed a traitor to the Alliance and stripped of his title.

10 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Lowen, like my other two cavs, still hasn't gotten much luck with speed level ups, but he leveled defense yet again, so hopefully people aren't kidding about the really low doubling benchmarks by the midgame.

A ton of enemies wield lances in the midgame, specifically steel lances, with their comical 13 weight just obliterating enemy speed stats.

Killing the boss stops the reinforcements, so if you kill him on turn 2 (which isn't actually too hard) you get a bunch of turns of empty map.

1 minute ago, Boomhauer007 said:

A ton of enemies wield lances in the midgame, specifically steel lances, with their comical 13 weight just obliterating enemy speed stats.

Killing the boss stops the reinforcements, so if you kill him on turn 2 (which isn't actually too hard) you get a bunch of turns of empty map.

Yeah, I basically could have killed him at any point, I just wasn't sure of the consequences so I held off on it a bit.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

"Fierce Eagle" to be precise. It explains this chapter's name- the talons of Eubans have alighted- descended- upon you.

Huh. Yeah, that makes... way more sense. I wonder how the hell that mistake happened.

Blazing Blade Day 12: Chapter 16

Holy shit, what is even going on with this opening? Is this the same way chapter 15 opened in Eliwood Mode? But the narration of the opening and the end of last chapter gave the impression that we were already on the move, using Ostia's spy network to chase down Darin! And yet Chapter 16 opens and it's just like Chapter 15 of Eliwood Mode, where we've been searching the general area for him for five days!

...No, wait, I just re-read the opening. They're still just preparing to pursue him.

Never mind then.

Anyway, I like this opening explaining why Uther's hands are tied. I really pity his circumstances. Trying to keep Lycia strong in the face of Bern watching the country and its newbie ruler like a damned vulture, hiding any sign of internal turmoil from them while he's slowly dying of an incurable illness.

What I don't like is how apparently every country has spies assessing the new leader of the Lycian League, and yet none of these spies have learned about the damned coup attempt going on in the country. The non-Ostian spies can't be that much worse, can they?

And we get to see most of the gang again! And while Florina's “I've gotten stronger” dialogue is a bit on the nose, and kind of empty since we didn't see much of the transition, it's still great seeing these characters again.

I wish I knew more about how Florina and Lyn met. There must have been some interesting circumstances to bring Florina in touch with Lyn when they come from such totally different walks of life.

Okay, this scene with Florina and Hector is fun and all, but I call bullshit. What conceivable part of Hector could Florina have fallen on that would have broken her fall and not her spine? He's covered in armor!

Wait, did Hector... catch them? Both her... and her pegasus? The limitations of the graphics mean I'm relying entirely on the text to know what happened, but the text shifts back and forth between implying she simply fell on Hector, and implying Hector literally caught not just Florina, but also her pegasus.

I wish this game would show the location of units that “join” on turn 1. Thankfully we saw them in the cutscene before the fight, but it's still a little annoying.

The deployment slots here are pathetic. I guess this is the Hector Hard Mode deployment limitations thing I've heard about in action. I may very well regret this... but I'm dropping Oswin for Bartre. I still haven't given up on at least getting him to 10/5 to see him meet Karla.

Alright. I see that that thief is dangerously close to capturing that village, if that's something it can do. Looks like, yet again, the only solution is to have Marcus rush it. This really takes all the fun out of having an emergency panic button, you know, making me do specific things with him or else. I'm liking it less and less every time they do it.

But anyway, speaking of disappointments, Florina seems to be just as shy around female Dakota as she would be around the male one. I mean her shyness is super cute, with her popping out from offscreen, but I wanted to see her react differently to a female tactician!

But what's not disappointing is Distant Travels, the awesome Hector-Mode-exclusive “getting serious” map theme playing right now! I love it. And I vividly remember that high-pitched instrument 6 seconds in from my plays of HNM as a kid. I remembered that part of the song long before I remembered anything else about it, and I'm not sure why. That just always stuck out at me.

It looks like Wil has just enough bulk at base (or maybe after the one level he got in Lyn mode) to take both javelin shots from those starting position pegasus knights and fire back, surviving with 1 HP. He won't kill either of them due to nerfed effective damage, but it's easily my best opening move to deal with those damned things.

Meanwhile, apparently saving the knight crest didn't net me any extra money at all, because all Lyn has is a red gem. Oh well. I guess you need to not use the stat boosters either in order to really get the-

The stat boosters... the... the thief...

The...

.FUCK.

I completely forgot that thieves can steal shit from you in this game! I gave Marcus the goddess icon to sell, and the thief just fucking stole it! DAMN IT! And here I was assuming I wouldn't need Matthew on this map! Now I can't steal it back!

And of course this is ironman, so I have to just live with it. UGH. And here I thought I had finally bailed myself out of my financial troubles with those two useless stat boosters. Now I just have to live with what I got from the secret book.

Well, better money than blood.

...At least for now.

Anyway, whenever I get a fancy staff, my general strategy is to waste about half of its uses whenever I can, just to get the staff user exp, especially for Priscilla. Getting one S rank user of every weapon type isn't really remotely important at all anymore, especially when the S rank weapons have availability problems so atrocious that they're pretty much useless outside of the link arena. Nevertheless, I still want to promote Priscilla, because I want to see if I can finally kick ass with a GBA valkyrie without grinding.

The actual staff exp part of that isn't that hard, honestly, as long as you don't hoard your good staves. Clarine promoted in a very timely fashion, the only problem was that her magic was hot garbage.

It seems this may be the game that gives the enemy AI the ability to feel an emotion:

Spite.

If an enemy either can't score a kill or is doomed to die, they will make sure that you'll at least never take their exp alive, and suicide into the highest-level unit of yours that it can.

FUCK. NO. WHY!?

...Kent is dead.

Kent. Is DEAD.

I'm not sure where the mistake came (I'm not recording my every move, after all), but Kent missing his kill on one of the two merceanries certainly didn't help. All three enemies (the two mercenaries and the myrmidon) ganged up on Kent and killed him. I can't be sure without rewinding, so I'm not holding this against the game, but it's possible that Kent's death was unavoidable from the moment he missed that first attack.

...I think I know what people mean when they say Lyn mode makes or breaks the difficulty of this chapter. I shudder at the thought of how dangerous this chapter must be when their stats are even worse.

On the plus side... okay, this is one of the major reasons I wanted to ironman this. I'll explain at the end of the chapter. I know I've mentioned it elsewhere on this forum, but maybe not here.

Just talked to Florina with Hector, and apparently Florina's pegasus is named Makar.

...That's a curious name. It sounds vaguely Sacaean. If it turns out that there's some Sacaean history behind that name involving how she ran into Lyn, that would be amazing.

After those first two turns though, this is shockingly easy. I'm actually able to feed some kills to some of my weaker guys, including Florina!

Bandits arrive to the southeast, granting me an opportunity to train Lyn some. I got an extra red gem on this map from the village too, so looks like I'll be able to stock up on some supplies for my... handful... of useful new allies.

...I can't believe Kent is dead. This is the first time playing this game that I've ever allowed that to happen. That also means Sain doesn't have a support partner in Kent anymore. Hmm...

...Looks like I'll have to support him with Isadora. That'll make sense. Each cavalier will support with a prepromote paladin. Plus, I'll get to see how Sain acts around a married woman, which is an important thing to know about his character before I can really say he's the best of this archetype.

Anyway, at this point, with the villages secure, I'm mostly just waiting out the reinforcements for levels. I don't know how tough this mode is gonna be, and there's no way in hell I'm getting a spectacular ranking anyway, so I'm gonna take this opportunity to train weaker units while I have it.

Lowen finally got a really, really good level up. Straight line of HP, strength, skill, speed, and luck. No defense, but he's gotten plenty of that for now.

Priscilla, who I've just now remembered I need to keep close to her support partner now that I have the opening, also got a really good level up. No speed, but HP, magic, skill, luck and defense!

Honestly, how easily these reinforcements can be farmed and exploited is kind of worrying for the game's overall difficulty. I think I get why Mekkah keeps referencing them as a counterpoint to ambush spawns. I'll reserve judgment until I see more, but right now these things aren't really a threat so much as a source of easy exp. They show up, they just as swiftly die. You can just camp and kill them with a handful of guys.

But I like how everyone from Lyn Mode who was in Eliwood and Hector's party has a conversation with Lyn.

I'm interested in where Lowen and Marcus's conversation goes from here, because right now he's being amazingly harsh on him.

HAHAHAHAHA! Looks like they had Lyn and Hector's conversation... just be her trying to tell him what she says to him at the end of the chapter anyway, but he just nopes out of there, being all “sorry, busy”. Ha! That's a great way to keep that “first meeting” scene something that everyone sees (important, since they're the main trio now) while still giving them a talk event!

Oh my god... Lyn's saying hi... and Sain's here... and Kent isn't... oh god... here it comes...

...But before that, Ephidel AGAIN botches the job killing a marquess, even though that very recently bit him in the ass and you think he'd be in a mindset to be more thorough.

And of course Ephidel tells Darin to leave with him, and like... yeah, unless they actually physically need Darin's body for some quintessence ritual, this is... astonishingly pointless from an evil plan perspective.

Oh.

Oh!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I see where you're going with this, game.

Ephidel: To the Dragon's Gate... Our master awaits us there. The master has informed me our hostage may be all we need. If all goes well, we may be able to perform the ceremony with him alone.

Ephidel, you magnificent cunning bastard.

YOU DO NEED DARIN'S BODY FOR SOME QUINTESSENCE RITUAL!

You're bringing him to the island under the pretenses of still being some freaky emo genie here to grant his darkest desires, but really, your plan to harness more quintessence vessels besides Elbert has gone completely to shit, and you're bringing Darin to serve as a backup for whatever vessel you were trying to get your hands on earlier!

Of course, this raises some questions in my mind regarding my memories of what happens next... but I'll accept this explanation... for now.

...Alright, apparently Ephidel... intentionally didn't finish Lord Hausen off? Or at least he recognized he didn't finish the job... and had Leila do it? That's... yeah I see literally no reason for that other than to give Leila an opportunity to keep Hausen alive.

Wait... wha...?

...The chapter's... over?

But...

...where's the death cutscene?

I vividly remember as a kid, that whenever someone in my army died, there was a scene at the end of the chapter where the lord and his advisor would discuss the death!

That's half the damned reason I wanted to ironman this game, so I could get to see some of those again and praise them!

Are you telling me it's not actually for every character in the game!?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

15 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

...Looks like I'll have to support him with Isadora. That'll make sense. Each cavalier will support with a prepromote paladin. Plus, I'll get to see how Sain acts around a married woman, which is an important thing to know about his character before I can really say he's the best of this archetype.

. . .Isadora is married??? I always thought she wasn't.

...Or is this an implication that you're going to use Louise?

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

. . .Isadora is married??? I always thought she wasn't.

...Or is this an implication that you're going to use Louise?

I could've sworn her and Harken were married by the time of the story. Did they not tie the knot yet?

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

I could've sworn her and Harken were married by the time of the story. Did they not tie the knot yet?

Having just taken a look for myself... Their supports seem to imply they're engaged at that point, or at least the A support.

16 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Ah. Similar principle though. I'm curious how their supports will go.

On that note, it sounds like already married couples are a rarity in these games. All I can think of are Ethlyn and Quan, Selphina and Glade, Jerrot and Juno, and Louise and Pent.

10 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

On that note, it sounds like already married couples are a rarity in these games. All I can think of are Ethlyn and Quan, Selphina and Glade, Jerrot and Juno, and Louise and Pent.

I haven't played the Tellius games so my knowledge on them is BAD, but aren't Largo and Callil (however you spell that name) married?

1 minute ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I haven't played the Tellius games so my knowledge on them is BAD, but aren't Largo and Callil (however you spell that name) married?

Radiant Dawn's glossary says they married after the Mad King's War (ergo, the events of Path of Radiance).

4 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

If we count people who used to be married, then there's also Astolfo and Igrene, and Saizo and Kagero.

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

If we count people who used to be married, then there's also Astolfo and Igrene, and Saizo and Kagero.

I thought Saizo and Kagero were ex-boyfriend/girlfriend, not divorced

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Just talked to Florina with Hector, and apparently Florina's pegasus is named Makar.

...That's a curious name. It sounds vaguely Sacaean. If it turns out that there's some Sacaean history behind that name involving how she ran into Lyn, that would be amazing.

💉🎈💥

Sorry, but thats a mistranslation/wrong. "Makar" is her musician-friend's name from a sylvan island 60 days south-southwest of Dread Isle and the Tactician's name mistranslated, maybe. "Huey" is her Pegasus's actual name.

RIP Kent, Fiora never got to meet the man of her dreams.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

💉🎈💥

Sorry, but thats a mistranslation/wrong. "Makar" is her musician-friend's name from a sylvan island 60 days south-southwest of Dread Isle and the Tactician's name mistranslated, maybe. "Huey" is her Pegasus's actual name.

Was Huey's gender in chapter 3 a mistranslation too, then? They keep saying "her".

17 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Was Huey's gender in chapter 3 a mistranslation too, then? They keep saying "her".

Sounds believable, Hector call Florina's Pegasus a "he" in their support and depending on how it landed it on him, he may have gotten very good knowledge of its sex.

...However, Florina says "mare" in her Ninian support, and "she" in her Nino. I'm at a loss, does Florina not know her pegasus's sex?

Seems like translation incompetence. TBF, Nintendo of America probably wasn't used to translating wordy games in 2003, most non-FE 1st party Nintendo games I'd guess didn't usually need so much effort, maybe just Zelda and Paper Mario.

...And looking at the FlorinaxFarina support, apparently the feminine version of "marquess" is "marchioness" -a random aside.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I wish I knew more about how Florina and Lyn met. There must have been some interesting circumstances to bring Florina in touch with Lyn when they come from such totally different walks of life.

I think their support touches on that topic if you are curious. I think they talk about it around their B support or so.

I completely forgot that thieves can steal shit from you in this game! I gave Marcus the goddess icon to sell, and the thief just fucking stole it! DAMN IT! And here I was assuming I wouldn't need Matthew on this map! Now I can't steal it back!

Oof, a brutal but valuable lesson learned. Another advantage of Mathew having a speed tie with the thief in chapter H11, the steal and steal back interaction with the other thief really ingrains the fact that enemy thieves can steal.

I'm not sure where the mistake came (I'm not recording my every move, after all), but Kent missing his kill on one of the two merceanries certainly didn't help. All three enemies (the two mercenaries and the myrmidon) ganged up on Kent and killed him. I can't be sure without rewinding, so I'm not holding this against the game, but it's possible that Kent's death was unavoidable from the moment he missed that first attack.

Seems one thing is the same if you play or skip Lyn mode, if you have a miss with Lyn's crew before they reunite with the army, somebody is going to die. Just feel glad it wasn't Lyn.

I vividly remember as a kid, that whenever someone in my army died, there was a scene at the end of the chapter where the lord and his advisor would discuss the death!

They do something similar in Lyn mode, generally explaining why they are too injured to continue Lyn mode, but will recover in time for Eliwood/Hector mode. Side note the "death" music in Lyn mode is different as well, I was letting a friend play through it to get a feel for the series and was so surprised by the slight difference in music that I had too come see what  happened.