Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

12 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

But...

...where's the death cutscene?

I vividly remember as a kid, that whenever someone in my army died, there was a scene at the end of the chapter where the lord and his advisor would discuss the death!

That's half the damned reason I wanted to ironman this game, so I could get to see some of those again and praise them!

Are you telling me it's not actually for every character in the game!?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

I'm pretty sure that's Path of Radiance. I've done an ironman run of Sacred Stones and remember nothing of the sort (and you'd think if they had it in this game they'd continue it to Sacred Stones, though I suppose they didn't continue it after Path of Radiance, which they should have, but the series has moved away from expecting players to play and catering to iron man modes in recent titles).

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I'm pretty sure that's Path of Radiance. I've done an ironman run of Sacred Stones and remember nothing of the sort (and you'd think if they had it in this game they'd continue it to Sacred Stones, though I suppose they didn't continue it after Path of Radiance, which they should have, but the series has moved away from expecting players to play and catering to iron man modes in recent titles).

No, I explicitly remember it with some characters. And not just ones who die. There was a post-chapter scene after Cog of Destiny when Nino got slaughtered after my vain attempt to talk to Linus like she asked. Lyn was bandaging Nino up while she was basically crying about how useless she was and Lyn was telling her not to think of herself like that.

16 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Looks like, yet again, the only solution is to have Marcus rush it. This really takes all the fun out of having an emergency panic button, you know, making me do specific things with him or else. I'm liking it less and less every time they do it.

I forget that you're in the part of the series with the SUPER jeigans. Fe7!Marcus, then Seth, then Titania, then kind of Titania again. Replaying fe9 right now and while it's easy, there are absolutely things where it's either Titania does it or no one does it. 

On the bright side also having just replayed sacred stones there's nothing that really requires Seth specifically, he just makes things easier. 

Edited by Boomhauer007

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

No, I explicitly remember it with some characters. And not just ones who die. There was a post-chapter scene after Cog of Destiny when Nino got slaughtered after my vain attempt to talk to Linus like she asked. Lyn was bandaging Nino up while she was basically crying about how useless she was and Lyn was telling her not to think of herself like that.

Ok, I just looked it up, and some characters do have scenes like that if they die as a way of explaining why they have dialogue later in the game, or preventing a time paradox with FE6. Now every death in Lyn mode has one to explain the character's return in Eliwood and Hector mode, and some characters have one in Eliwood and Hector mode, Like Nino (who needs to survive to be the mother of Lugh and Raigh). If you are curious about which characters have end of battle scenes when they "die" I will list them in the spoiler's box below with explanations for why such a scene was needed

Spoiler

Marcus: He has to live long enough to be the Jeigan for Roy as well as some key speaking lines in the story

Bartre : He Not only needs to father Fir, but was a possible recruit if you took the right route split of FE6.

Oswin:  has multiple speaking lines in the story of Hector mode.

Ninian/Nils: These two are way too important to the story to stay dead.

Rath: Still has to become the father of Sue.

Pent/Louise: It explains why the other has to leave when one dies (very similar to Quan and Ethlyn in FE4), but also are both explicitly stated as being alive in some of FE6's support conversations.

Karel: He needs to survive to fight for Roy in the FE6 endgame

Nino: As stated above she is too young to have become the mother of Lugh and Raigh yet.

Karla: Still hasn't given birth to Fir yet.

A few notes on other characters that are tied to FE6 characters, Hawkeye has both a support with Louise, and a conversation with Sophia in Victory or Death that mention his daughter Igrene, making it clear she has already been born at this point.

Canas has an alternate death quote where he begs his parents to take care of Hugh, making it clear that poor little Hugh is already born, plus his Pent support mentions that said mother is Niime, and he mentions having a son in Nino's support.

Geitz mentions being Geese's brother in his Fiora support, and there is no reason his death would change the actions of his much younger brother.

Rebecca is the odd man out here, her paired endings make it fairly clear she is the mother Wolt, and probably the one who breast fed Roy after his mother's death, but can straight up die with no mention of consequences.

Legault deserves some mention due to him having lines in the story regardless of if he joined or died in the story, which can be extremely odd on imperfect runs.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath
Sorry about that, I really meant that to be in a spoiler box, not a quote box

32 minutes ago, Boomhauer007 said:

I forget that you're in the part of the series with the SUPER jeigans. Fe7!Marcus, then Seth, then Titania, then kind of Titania again. Replaying fe9 right now and while it's easy, there are absolutely things where it's either Titania does it or no one does it. 

Yeah, PoR Titania is a sine qua non in some instances. Though she is more necessary than Marcus, in the sense that PoR severely limits your earlygame units, it's not until "Manster-lite", the flight to Gallia, is over that you finally start accruing a real army. Though, the severe unit restrictions came at the narrative advantage of developing the Greil Mercenaries a good deal.

36 minutes ago, Boomhauer007 said:

On the bright side also having just replayed sacred stones there's nothing that really requires Seth specifically, he just makes things easier. 

What about the far left village in chapter 9 Eirika? Far as I can remember, no one else can stop the pirate who tries to destroy it, or get there before said pirate.

Blazing Blade Day 13: Chapter 17

Alas, my hope was that, like with FE9's after-battle report, maybe the post-death scene would happen at the beginning of the next map, but alas, I am mistaken. Kent gets no narrative send-off at all. And what makes this especially jarring is the whole “Lyn's pals greet Dakota” scene where Kent's lines are just skipped and his death doesn't sour the reunion at all.

Holy shit. Deployment restrictions are getting out of hand here. I thought it was cramped because I was getting so many new units, but no! I had to undeploy Serra, Bartre and Oswin (again) in order to put Lyn, Sain and Florina on my team. I don't even know what I'm gonna do next chapter when I get Canas.

Of course, I have to actually get that chapter first. Honestly, I'm surprised the next chapter is even a gaiden at all. It feels way too story-important for that. That entire chapter just feels like a crucial part of the story, Lyn's character, and the trio's dynamic as a whole. It's their first real interaction as a trio, and it's completely missable. Storywise, that feels deeply wrong.

Also, it's weird that yet again the preparation screen is hiding units from the map, in this case Raven, Lucius and the soldiers you need to keep alive. Thankfully at least the fortune teller gets rid of all of the “making you reset for no reason” nonsense of that. I guess maybe they didn't want the “there's a red unit with green units” thing to freak the player out?

Anyway, taking out this initial wave of enemies and then rushing the fuck in is going to be very important. I'm positive that if I don't send Marcus in whole hog, then as usual, a thief will come in and steal everything in the back treasure room.

...Yep. That about sums it up. I should have just barely enough time to kill the thieves and take their shit.

...Especially since apparently only one of them is actually heading for the treasure for some reason. Not sure what the other one's up to, but more time for Marcus and Lowen to corner the thief, keep him trapped inside, and forcibly steal back that second treasure I won't be able to kill him for.

I got Raven.

Ohhh! So it's house Cornwell! I could've sworn it was Cornwall.

Also, the thief has a killing edge for some reason. This... could get messy.

Oh, so “vulnerary” can be used as a plural too apparently. So it's an adjective-noun, like “incendiary” or “adhesive”? It is apparently a real word, and that checks out as far as I can tell, but I don't think I've ever heard the word used outside of Fire Emblem.

Fuck. The “kill the tent” reinforcements have shown up quicker than I expected, and Eliwood and Lyn didn't get back in time. Only Erk is there to hold them off for now. He can one-round the cav, but the nomad is a no-go for that. If I don't work out how to turn the tide and keep these guys from increasing in number, I may lose this run entirely-

...Well, thankfully, the nomad attacked... from a space that his reinforcements spawn in, so I think I should be able to put a lid on this.

Also, looks like there's no dice on the “stealing back the treasure” thing. Marcus didn't crit after the thief stole the silver sword, and now the knight crest is the flashing green item, and I'm 90% sure that if you steal the flashing green item, it doesn't magically grant the flashing green status to the next item in their inventory. That would be... absurdly abusable. So looks like I just have to kill him.

Sain gets a speed level up in Kent's honor.

Oh wow! Florina can talk to the generic soldiers! That's fun!

And so can Sain!

...And probably also Kent...

But at any rate, the soldiers have been successfully subdued rescued before their own crippling stupidity the enemies could kill them. And apparently the allied phase doesn't even happen if they're all rescued and can't move.

The boss was... “tough”, in the literal sense, but obviously not dangerous to dispatch. The only thing was that Lowen just barely couldn't land the finishing blow on him sadly. Lowen's juuuust about ready to get over the hump to “strong unit”. At least his offensive stats are. Lowen's defensive stats got over that hump ages ago. Seriously, I've never seen a tankier cavalier. His HP, defense, resistance and luck are all really good, at least comparatively in this game. I can't believe I never used this guy as a kid.

...I think it was the color of his armor, and the fact that I liked Kent and Sain's personalities better.

Curious. Apparently there was blood on the throne from when Hausen was stabbed? Despite being a hostage and a prisoner, he was sitting on his throne when he was stabbed? Then how the fuck did Ephidel sneak up on him to stab him?

This song playing during the talk with Leila... I think I recognize it from FE6. Can't put my finger on it though.

Curious. Ephidel is apparently considered Nergal's retainer... isn't that exclusively for people with noble blood? Or can you have retainers if you just have power?

...Yes, apparently “noble or wealthy” is the general restrictor here.

Okay, so, Elbert answered the call to rebel after Helman, but as to whether or not he endorsed the plan, Leila “cannot say”.

But now we come to the topic of Valor.

I don't think FE6 ever brought it up in the end. It just had it on the map, like I pointed out, and FE7 then proceeded to use it.

Yeah, this scene really drives home that Eliwood is really the driving, cementing element of this story. He's not just the person going on the mission that winds up running into Nergal's plot, he's the only reason Lyn's even involved in the adventure. Lyn doesn't even know Hector. This is a story about Eliwood and his two friends, not Hector, his friend, and his friend's friend.

Hector mode is just fucking weird, and I hope it doesn't distract me too much from what I like about the story.

Anyway, tomorrow... tomorrow we take on the pirates.

...And I'm gonna fight them. No way I'm not doing that. This place has too much to offer, and I'm financially strapped as it is.

See ya then! Stay safe, everyone!

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

What about the far left village in chapter 9 Eirika? Far as I can remember, no one else can stop the pirate who tries to destroy it, or get there before said pirate.

I actually keep a save at the route split, and have nothing to do everyday these days, so I actually tried it out right now. Got it first try, should be easily repeatable, does require deploying Vanessa. 

My text has been deleted twice, so this is now the spark notes version. 😠

Deploy her bottom left, pull hand axe guy in ocean with someone on main path, max move to village (pirate is hard coded to village and doesn't attack), don't die from killing edge, cap village, canto up to safety. Seth can do it without risking death to killing edge but it's certainly possible without him. 

4 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Of course, I have to actually get that chapter first. Honestly, I'm surprised the next chapter is even a gaiden at all. It feels way too story-important for that. That entire chapter just feels like a crucial part of the story, Lyn's character, and the trio's dynamic as a whole. It's their first real interaction as a trio, and it's completely missable. Storywise, that feels deeply wrong.

When it comes to gaiden chapters, most feel like filler constructed around a character- namely the one you recruit therein- or in FE6's case, a legendary weapon. FE7's gaidens aren't immune to this criticism, but Port of Badon and Night of Farewells feel like they aren't gaidens, which is great to me.

Though, perhaps you are right, and gaidens should feel fillery, because otherwise missing them is missing out on too much. Maybe theres a solution to non-filler/item & character-get and yet not make the chapter too important?

13 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

...And I'm gonna fight them. No way I'm not doing that. This place has too much to offer, and I'm financially strapped as it is.

If you delay on engaging them, you can aggro the Mage, the Shaman, and maybe the Archer and someone else from the north, above the first red house east of the vendor. You can do this without tripwiring the rest of Fargus's crew into action.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

When it comes to gaiden chapters, most feel like filler constructed around a character- namely the one you recruit therein- or in FE6's case, a legendary weapon. FE7's gaidens aren't immune to this criticism, but Port of Badon and Night of Farewells feel like they aren't gaidens, which is great to me.

Though, perhaps you are right, and gaidens should feel fillery, because otherwise missing them is missing out on too much. Maybe theres a solution to non-filler/item & character-get and yet not make the chapter too important?

Yeah, I think gaidens should be stand-alone stories. Good stand-alone stories, but ones where they can happen and nothing much changes. My issue with Port of Badon is that it just feels necessary, especially in Hector Mode when the events of it follow into a conversation between Hector and Lyn. It makes me feel like there's a missing chapter when I miss it.

Edited by Alastor15243

13 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Ok, I just looked it up, and some characters do have scenes like that if they die as a way of explaining why they have dialogue later in the game, or preventing a time paradox with FE6. Now every death in Lyn mode has one to explain the character's return in Eliwood and Hector mode, and some characters have one in Eliwood and Hector mode, Like Nino (who needs to survive to be the mother of Lugh and Raigh). If you are curious about which characters have end of battle scenes when they "die" I will list them in the spoiler's box below with explanations for why such a scene was needed

Hide contents

Marcus: He has to live long enough to be the Jeigan for Roy as well as some key speaking lines in the story

Bartre : He Not only needs to father Fir, but was a possible recruit if you took the right route split of FE6.

Oswin:  has multiple speaking lines in the story of Hector mode.

Ninian/Nils: These two are way too important to the story to stay dead.

Rath: Still has to become the father of Sue.

Pent/Louise: It explains why the other has to leave when one dies (very similar to Quan and Ethlyn in FE4), but also are both explicitly stated as being alive in some of FE6's support conversations.

Karel: He needs to survive to fight for Roy in the FE6 endgame

Nino: As stated above she is too young to have become the mother of Lugh and Raigh yet.

Karla: Still hasn't given birth to Fir yet.

A few notes on other characters that are tied to FE6 characters, Hawkeye has both a support with Louise, and a conversation with Sophia in Victory or Death that mention his daughter Igrene, making it clear she has already been born at this point.

Canas has an alternate death quote where he begs his parents to take care of Hugh, making it clear that poor little Hugh is already born, plus his Pent support mentions that said mother is Niime, and he mentions having a son in Nino's support.

Geitz mentions being Geese's brother in his Fiora support, and there is no reason his death would change the actions of his much younger brother.

Rebecca is the odd man out here, her paired endings make it fairly clear she is the mother Wolt, and probably the one who breast fed Roy after his mother's death, but can straight up die with no mention of consequences.

Legault deserves some mention due to him having lines in the story regardless of if he joined or died in the story, which can be extremely odd on imperfect runs.

I don't object to them doing that, but it feels like really unnecessary to me. Nino isn't even a forced recruit character. You can miss her entirely. Those characters could just die and we can accept that they canonically live. It'd be like making every single character in Path of Radiance someone who retreats just because they go on to appear in Radiant Dawn.

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If you delay on engaging them, you can aggro the Mage, the Shaman, and maybe the Archer and someone else from the north, above the first red house east of the vendor. You can do this without tripwiring the rest of Fargus's crew into action.

Actually somehow missed Night of Farewells on my first playthrough. Didn't have Nino talk to Jaffar and yeah, it is super jarring for such a major character like Sonia to be dispatched of so unceremoniously.

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yeah, I think gaidens should be stand-alone stories. Good stand-alone stories, but ones where they can happen and nothing much changes. My issue with Port of Badon is that it just feels necessary, especially in Hector Mode when the events of it follow into a conversation between Hector and Lyn. It makes me feel like there's a missing chapter when I miss it.

The moment on the boat right? I don't think I've ever missed Port of Badon, but I imagine that would happen anyway. Like with or without the Gaiden you still get on the same boat with the same pirates.

Also this is the best chapter to use the mine glitch on for two reasons. 1, you can have all the enemies discard their weapons and allow you to fight the super powerful pirates you're meant to avoid, 2, I think there's like a secret conversation between Dart and Fargus...though trying to search for that online provides nothing so maybe I made that up.

Blazing Blade Day 14: Chapter 17x

Ah yes. I love this chapter. Gameplay and story. It's the first real time we get to see the trio act as a trio, as I said earlier, and I totally get Lyn's reservations about working with pirates.

I also love the actual scene where Eliwood talks to Fargus. I love how he dignifies him by describing him as “Commander of the pirate armada”, and Fargus just laughs at how formal this is. But I have this utterly bizarre soft spot that I can't even begin to explain for interactions between people with completely different speaking styles and backgrounds. I especially inexplicably like it when a verbose and a crass person are completely on the same page about something. Or when somebody understands something completely alien to them by thinking about it in terms they're familiar with.

Of course, it seems that this time Hector's the one who talk to Fargus. And apparently in his case, Fargus's reason for talking shit right back at them is because Hector was too rude, instead of Eliwood being too polite.

I'm Fargus, captain of the Davros”.

And after having watched a shitton of series 1-8 of Doctor Who in my adult years... I can't hear that ship name the same way ever again.

Okay, going by what we can tell of the game's economy, that 100,000 gold figure has to be Fargus taking the piss, right? That's more than triple what Ostia coughs up from the royal fucking treasury to fund the salvation of the human race. Given that he decides to just challenge them to a port brawl in broad daylight for fun immediately after, it makes me think that 100,000 gold isn't actually anywhere near what he usually charges, and he's just having some fun at the expense of a bunch of naive nobles. Or maybe he was just trying to see how desperate they were to go there. Dart does stop them right after this, after all, implying he was sent after them very quickly. If this wasn't Fargus's plan all along, he changed his mind with alarming speed.

...Six... fucking... deployment slots.

Six.

I realize that's just for this map, but it feels like my deployment slots are getting lower and lower every chapter!

...And hoooooooly shit. These killer weapons... they make me very, very nervous.

...And I'm doing this ironman.

...But I really, really need all the gear and experience I can get.

Sigh...

Only one thing for it.

Alright, here's the plan: I feed as many of the pre-confrontation kills of this map as I can to Eliwood and Lowen. All the while, I support Lowen with Marcus and Eliwood as much as I can, which I'm pretty sure in this game means I can bring him to A with Marcus and B with Eliwood on this map if I'm patient enough.

If I do this, Lowen will be granted 2 defense, 3 attack, 20 hit, 25 evade, 25 crit evade, and 12 crit while he's in range of both of them. That 25 crit evade plus his luck of 9 means he's all but immune to crits even from enemies with killer weapons.

...Well, let's get to work.

I also should think about who should get the dragonshield. I could give it to Lowen now and, combined with these support bonuses, essentially make him unkillable forever, but I'll do the support thing first and then gauge if that's a good idea.

I could also give it to Marcus to help keep him relevant longer, given that Lowen now out-tanks him in every tanking stat but res at level 13, and Marcus is gonna be Lowen's support bot no matter how much better than Marcus Lowen gets.

So I talked to Anna, which I didn't learn until much later in life actually lets you find out who Jake is in this game. Apparently if you talk to Anna at the pub, it's him instead of Dart who shows you the ship shops. I guess I never bothered visiting it after the first attempt at the level since I already knew the info.

Anyway, let's go.

...Looks like on Hector Hard Mode, the added enemies charge you right away. Good to know. Thankfully I'm not baiting them all at once. I'm stalling for as much time as I can.

...FUUUUUUCK.

THE BLACK FANG AGGROS RIGHT AWAY TOO.

...But thankfully the paladin boss doesn't have a killing edge. Thank god.

So while dealing with that, I unlock Marcus's B support with Lowen, and I have to say... this is pretty cool. The support is basically Lowen still getting his ass handed to him in training by Marcus, and just when Marcus is about to tell him about all the work they need to do before they next spar, Lowen gets back up and says he's not done yet. Marcus is silent for a second, in which I like to imagine he's being secretly proud of him, and then they keep going.

The game kind of, without really spelling it out, integrates Lowen's stats into the story. He's not quite as strong or skilled or speedy as the rest of the cavalry in the game, but when he gets hit, he gets the fuck back up.

...Holy shit is Damian terrible. His speed is a pathetic six! His attack and defense are okay enough that with a killing edge he becomes insanely scary, but without it... wow. That's a shame, because I remember him being terrifying as a kid. That killing edge ruined so many of my young mind's “strategies”, and his opening battle line was both badass and scary as all hell:

You're about to die. Scream if you must.”

I've gotta say, having the con to wield a steel sword at base without weight penalties is pretty fun, even if it doesn't help too much due to his lower speed than other cavs. Then again, he's the fastest cav I have due to Sain (and also the dead Kent)'s poor RNG luck with the stat this run.

...And as if to drive the point home, he levels speed again. He's now as fast as Marcus.

Hector gets an amazing level, with HP, strength, speed, luck and defense. Woo!

Curious. Seeing Lowen and Eliwood's C support made me realize how much they took from Lowen when they made Stahl. I could almost see Stahl having that support with Chrom.

I can't imagine what these pirates must be thinking now that I beat all those pirates and black fang members, and now I'm just standing around, support grinding.

But while I do that, I might as well grab Canas. He's usually a shoo-in for my team due to his powerful magic, but with the deployment limitations... I'm not so sure.

...Shit. I think it's Sacred Stones where you can do multiple supports a chapter. Here I think instead of it being a total support points limit, they don't let you do more than one support per set per chapter. I supported Lowen with Marcus, and Lowen with Eliwood, and Erk with Priscilla, but nothing other than that.

Looks like I'll have to deal with these last enemies without those last two supports. Oh well. Here goes!

It's pretty straightforward, actually. Just making sure to use the bottleneck to limit the number of times Lowen can be attacked. With these supports he runs the risk of critting enemies and facing too many at once, but he also has an insanely high evasion rate, so I'm not too worried.

Canas's first level up got him everything, literally everything it was possible for him to get, except for the one stat I was praying for: speed.

And the second level he gets magic and res. Still no speed.

But that's everyone but Fargus and Dart, and I'm not stupid enough to try attacking either of them. Time to reap the bounty of my recklessness, and get out of here.

Our rewards are a short bow, a sleep staff, unlimited access to a shop I'm pretty sure we'd normally have to do it-doesn't-matter-because-there-is-no-next-turn rushes into enemy territory to do a single turn of shopping in, and the infamous devil axe.

Ah, the devil axe. Beloved by gambling addicts and complete idiots the world over.

...I will not be using it. If I managed to get somebody to max luck and also this weren't an ironman run, I'd consider it, but as it stands, I'll only use it if the alternative is even riskier and more dire. If it's got any sale value at all, I'm probably gonna sell the bastard.

I also got the lancereaver from the back alley village.

And I find it amusing that most of these past-the-point-of-no-return shops act like the fight with the pirates is still going on, when in all likelihood, if you're talking to any of these people, everyone but Dart and Fargus is pretty much dead. Maybe it's just me, but I always fight these guys from the bottleneck alleyways. The idea of doing anything else with just 6 soldiers feels unthinkable, so I don't know what strategies the playtesters were using to make this not seem weird to them.

I bought some thunder tomes and a mend staff with the money I had from that red gem (which, incidentally, you can in fact sell from battle preparations in this game, even on Hector Hard Mode, making me feel like even more of a fool for losing that goddess icon). I'll be selling Canas's secret book for my major Dread Isle shopping.

Now, while I mostly like this from a storytelling perspective, it feels... immensely weird. Unless Fargus is just the kind of bastard who sends his men to a fight to the death over a game, we have to assume that, at least on our end, this isn't a fight where we're killing people. But with them it absolutely is. Anyone who falls here is completely down and out. Which makes this feel... kind of bizarre. Was that double-standard, where they're allowed to kill but Hector's party isn't, tacitly agreed on? Or is it sheer luck that Fargus accidentally ran into people considerate enough to not try to kill the people trying to kill them?

I love the premise of this map, but it feels... like it needs some ironing out. Like... honestly? As much as it grinds my very soul to dust to suggest this...

...This should be a casual mode map.

The difficulty should be ramped up way higher, and it should be an intense, but non-permadeath, battle to be the last team with a guy still standing. Similar to the mock battles in Three Houses, but... you know... actually hard.

Of course that would mean Damian, who would have no reason to play along with this “game”, would have to be removed, which would be a massive shame, but it would probably be easy to put him back in elsewhere. But yeah, I think that would make this an equally memorable level, if the idea of just barely squeezing through this map with one guy left standing were an actually realistic possibility.

But that's it for today. Stay safe, everyone!

27 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

...Shit. I think it's Sacred Stones where you can do multiple supports a chapter. Here I think instead of it being a total support points limit, they don't let you do more than one support per set per chapter. I supported Lowen with Marcus, and Lowen with Eliwood, and Erk with Priscilla, but nothing other than that.

That's exactly how it is, even in Sacred Stones. Speaking of, the two-part endgame counts as two chapters for the purposes of supports.

Edited by Shadow Mir

55 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

And I find it amusing that most of these past-the-point-of-no-return shops act like the fight with the pirates is still going on, when in all likelihood, if you're talking to any of these people, everyone but Dart and Fargus is pretty much dead. Maybe it's just me, but I always fight these guys from the bottleneck alleyways. The idea of doing anything else with just 6 soldiers feels unthinkable, so I don't know what strategies the playtesters were using to make this not seem weird to them.

Two things, first a Florina can reach all of the red houses (and shop) except the sleep staff without triggering the 6 to charge if you are careful, second you can actually lure them out one at a time if you approach from the north, as their ranges don't overlap as well from that direction, and you can lure them from beyond the box that triggers them to charge (except for one with a killer axe, but with only one enemy left the scripted charge has lost all its teeth).

2 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Two things, first a Florina can reach all of the red houses (and shop) except the sleep staff without triggering the 6 to charge if you are careful, second you can actually lure them out one at a time if you approach from the north, as their ranges don't overlap as well from that direction, and you can lure them from beyond the box that triggers them to charge (except for one with a killer axe, but with only one enemy left the scripted charge has lost all its teeth).

Wow, the mass aggro flag is only on one side?

10 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Wow, the mass aggro flag is only on one side?

No its a box, but from the north its possible to get into range for them to attack you (barring one of them) before entering it, which gets them to move before the flag triggers.

Edit:

@Alastor15243

Just wanted to elaborate

(image from fire emblem wod)

17x.png

Entering the black box triggerx the aggro flag, but the anima mage can attack units adjacent to the forest on the shown pegasus path, which lure him out alone. Next you can lure the archer by having a unit that can't counter kill (but can take the possible killer bow crit) just north of the entrance to the sleep staff house (the archer should move first and block the shaman from being able to attack, causing him to stay still), and then heal that unit up to then lure it to a space adjacent to that forest from before. Next you can lure the pirate in the back from the forest tile, and after that the pirate next to him from the space below the forest. Then you can lure the shaman from the space above the entrance to the house, and lure him further just like the archer. That just leaves that last pirate that you have to enter the black box to lure out.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath
avoiding double post

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Blazing Blade Day 14: Chapter 17x

Ah yes. I love this chapter. Gameplay and story. It's the first real time we get to see the trio act as a trio, as I said earlier, and I totally get Lyn's reservations about working with pirates.

I also love the actual scene where Eliwood talks to Fargus. I love how he dignifies him by describing him as “Commander of the pirate armada”, and Fargus just laughs at how formal this is. But I have this utterly bizarre soft spot that I can't even begin to explain for interactions between people with completely different speaking styles and backgrounds. I especially inexplicably like it when a verbose and a crass person are completely on the same page about something. Or when somebody understands something completely alien to them by thinking about it in terms they're familiar with.

Of course, it seems that this time Hector's the one who talk to Fargus. And apparently in his case, Fargus's reason for talking shit right back at them is because Hector was too rude, instead of Eliwood being too polite.

I'm Fargus, captain of the Davros”.

And after having watched a shitton of series 1-8 of Doctor Who in my adult years... I can't hear that ship name the same way ever again.

Okay, going by what we can tell of the game's economy, that 100,000 gold figure has to be Fargus taking the piss, right? That's more than triple what Ostia coughs up from the royal fucking treasury to fund the salvation of the human race. Given that he decides to just challenge them to a port brawl in broad daylight for fun immediately after, it makes me think that 100,000 gold isn't actually anywhere near what he usually charges, and he's just having some fun at the expense of a bunch of naive nobles. Or maybe he was just trying to see how desperate they were to go there. Dart does stop them right after this, after all, implying he was sent after them very quickly. If this wasn't Fargus's plan all along, he changed his mind with alarming speed.

...Six... fucking... deployment slots.

Six.

I realize that's just for this map, but it feels like my deployment slots are getting lower and lower every chapter!

...And hoooooooly shit. These killer weapons... they make me very, very nervous.

...And I'm doing this ironman.

...But I really, really need all the gear and experience I can get.

Sigh...

Only one thing for it.

Alright, here's the plan: I feed as many of the pre-confrontation kills of this map as I can to Eliwood and Lowen. All the while, I support Lowen with Marcus and Eliwood as much as I can, which I'm pretty sure in this game means I can bring him to A with Marcus and B with Eliwood on this map if I'm patient enough.

If I do this, Lowen will be granted 2 defense, 3 attack, 20 hit, 25 evade, 25 crit evade, and 12 crit while he's in range of both of them. That 25 crit evade plus his luck of 9 means he's all but immune to crits even from enemies with killer weapons.

...Well, let's get to work.

I also should think about who should get the dragonshield. I could give it to Lowen now and, combined with these support bonuses, essentially make him unkillable forever, but I'll do the support thing first and then gauge if that's a good idea.

I could also give it to Marcus to help keep him relevant longer, given that Lowen now out-tanks him in every tanking stat but res at level 13, and Marcus is gonna be Lowen's support bot no matter how much better than Marcus Lowen gets.

So I talked to Anna, which I didn't learn until much later in life actually lets you find out who Jake is in this game. Apparently if you talk to Anna at the pub, it's him instead of Dart who shows you the ship shops. I guess I never bothered visiting it after the first attempt at the level since I already knew the info.

Anyway, let's go.

...Looks like on Hector Hard Mode, the added enemies charge you right away. Good to know. Thankfully I'm not baiting them all at once. I'm stalling for as much time as I can.

...FUUUUUUCK.

...But thankfully the paladin boss doesn't have a killing edge. Thank god.

So while dealing with that, I unlock Marcus's B support with Lowen, and I have to say... this is pretty cool. The support is basically Lowen still getting his ass handed to him in training by Marcus, and just when Marcus is about to tell him about all the work they need to do before they next spar, Lowen gets back up and says he's not done yet. Marcus is silent for a second, in which I like to imagine he's being secretly proud of him, and then they keep going.

The game kind of, without really spelling it out, integrates Lowen's stats into the story. He's not quite as strong or skilled or speedy as the rest of the cavalry in the game, but when he gets hit, he gets the fuck back up.

...Holy shit is Damian terrible. His speed is a pathetic six! His attack and defense are okay enough that with a killing edge he becomes insanely scary, but without it... wow. That's a shame, because I remember him being terrifying as a kid. That killing edge ruined so many of my young mind's “strategies”, and his opening battle line was both badass and scary as all hell:

You're about to die. Scream if you must.”

I've gotta say, having the con to wield a steel sword at base without weight penalties is pretty fun, even if it doesn't help too much due to his lower speed than other cavs. Then again, he's the fastest cav I have due to Sain (and also the dead Kent)'s poor RNG luck with the stat this run.

...And as if to drive the point home, he levels speed again. He's now as fast as Marcus.

Hector gets an amazing level, with HP, strength, speed, luck and defense. Woo!

Curious. Seeing Lowen and Eliwood's C support made me realize how much they took from Lowen when they made Stahl. I could almost see Stahl having that support with Chrom.

I can't imagine what these pirates must be thinking now that I beat all those pirates and black fang members, and now I'm just standing around, support grinding.

But while I do that, I might as well grab Canas. He's usually a shoo-in for my team due to his powerful magic, but with the deployment limitations... I'm not so sure.

Looks like I'll have to deal with these last enemies without those last two supports. Oh well. Here goes!

It's pretty straightforward, actually. Just making sure to use the bottleneck to limit the number of times Lowen can be attacked. With these supports he runs the risk of critting enemies and facing too many at once, but he also has an insanely high evasion rate, so I'm not too worried.

Canas's first level up got him everything, literally everything it was possible for him to get, except for the one stat I was praying for: speed.

And the second level he gets magic and res. Still no speed.

But that's everyone but Fargus and Dart, and I'm not stupid enough to try attacking either of them. Time to reap the bounty of my recklessness, and get out of here.

Our rewards are a short bow, a sleep staff, unlimited access to a shop I'm pretty sure we'd normally have to do it-doesn't-matter-because-there-is-no-next-turn rushes into enemy territory to do a single turn of shopping in, and the infamous devil axe.

Ah, the devil axe. Beloved by gambling addicts and complete idiots the world over.

...I will not be using it. If I managed to get somebody to max luck and also this weren't an ironman run, I'd consider it, but as it stands, I'll only use it if the alternative is even riskier and more dire. If it's got any sale value at all, I'm probably gonna sell the bastard.

I also got the lancereaver from the back alley village.

I bought some thunder tomes and a mend staff with the money I had from that red gem (which, incidentally, you can in fact sell from battle preparations in this game, even on Hector Hard Mode, making me feel like even more of a fool for losing that goddess icon). I'll be selling Canas's secret book for my major Dread Isle shopping.

Now, while I mostly like this from a storytelling perspective, it feels... immensely weird. Unless Fargus is just the kind of bastard who sends his men to a fight to the death over a game, we have to assume that, at least on our end, this isn't a fight where we're killing people. But with them it absolutely is. Anyone who falls here is completely down and out. Which makes this feel... kind of bizarre. Was that double-standard, where they're allowed to kill but Hector's party isn't, tacitly agreed on? Or is it sheer luck that Fargus accidentally ran into people considerate enough to not try to kill the people trying to kill them?

I love the premise of this map, but it feels... like it needs some ironing out. Like... honestly? As much as it grinds my very soul to dust to suggest this...

...This should be a casual mode map.

The difficulty should be ramped up way higher, and it should be an intense, but non-permadeath, battle to be the last team with a guy still standing. Similar to the mock battles in Three Houses, but... you know... actually hard.

Of course that would mean Damian, who would have no reason to play along with this “game”, would have to be removed, which would be a massive shame, but it would probably be easy to put him back in elsewhere. But yeah, I think that would make this an equally memorable level, if the idea of just barely squeezing through this map with one guy left standing were an actually realistic possibility.

But that's it for today. Stay safe, everyone!

Damian could still be in it. I'm sure they can have a unit specific casual mode feature. That could also work for some enemies who don't want to fight certain units like the Radiant Dawn endgame bosses.

Of the unpromoted magic trio, prefer Lucius over Canas and Erk. Similar offense to the latter, and instant Restore access on promotion with easy Physics acquisition means I can bench a low leveled Priscilla if need be when Pent comes. Luna is not very useful outside of boss-slaying, and four Nosferatus at most with -6 AS, well, it won't result in Canas's doubled demise, but he won't ORKO with it.

This said, the practical difference in CEL isn't very big, and they're all good.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Only for Hector, Damian obeys the tripwire aggression in Eliwood Mode.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

That's exactly how it is, even in Sacred Stones. Speaking of, the two-part endgame counts as two chapters for the purposes of supports.

Is the only way to get Renault A supports in Eliwood mode to go grind 240 turns between victory or death and light 2?

Just now, Boomhauer007 said:

Is the only way to get Renault A supports in Eliwood mode to go grind 240 turns between victory or death and light 2?

In a word: Yep.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Damian could still be in it. I'm sure they can have a unit specific casual mode feature. That could also work for some enemies who don't want to fight certain units like the Radiant Dawn endgame bosses.

Maybe, but that might make gameplay... weird.

Also, just a heads up, you quoted my whole post.

Blazing Blade Day 15: Chapter 18

Alright, I've got my word program, my emulator, and a sore throat that I am hoping to all hell is just thanks to that time I scratched it last night with an improperly-chewed extra-salty pretzel.

Let's play this sumbitch.

I have to assume the intro to this chapter is different if you didn't get the gaiden, because it just mentions Fargus without explaining who he is, except that he has a ship.

I completely forgot until this replay that the game takes so long to show us Nergal. It's actually pretty cool, seeing him as a shadowy figure on the narration screen.

Oh shit. People have made all sorts of jokes about how bandits would never be able to kick the ass of a tribe of Sacaeans when basically every single one of them that we see in the Elibian saga is broken and/or can use swords. But apparently they poisoned their damned drinking water. OUCH.

Apparently her father put her on his horse, and that's how she escaped. She blacked out, was found by another tribe, and was unconscious for ten fucking days as she recovered from the poison in her body.

...But hearing about her escaping on her father's horse... kinda makes me wish Lyn promoted to be on horseback. I would've hated that as a kid (I tended to get attached to the look of footsoldiers and not like when they suddenly got on horses to fight), but it would be really powerful from a story perspective. I mean... there's no way she got rid of that horse, right? What could possibly drive her to get rid of her father's horse? A horse that's one of the only things to remember her family by? She has to have kept it, right? Given how central mounted archery is to her father's culture, it seems kinda crazy that she'd never learn how to even ride one.

...Okay, this is a great scene, but that was a really dumb soundtrack decision, game. The “Lyn Mode sad music” cut out to just play the ambience of the waves, which was a great moment... but then when Hector talks about his dead parents, the exact same fucking sad song comes back.

I personally would have used Silent Ground, or maybe Respite in Battle. In fairness, most of the sad music in this game has Ninian's leitmotif hardcoded into it. But Respite in Battle could have worked quite well. Funny, I don't remember ever hearing that song in-game. I just found it while flicking through the soundtrack.

This is a nice added scene in general, letting us see what Hector was up to while Eliwood was talking with Fargus. Lemme just check out that scene again too though, just for good measure:

...Yeah, judging by the sounds of the conversation there, Fargus really was just taking the piss with that 100,000 gold price, trying to see if Eliwood and Hector were actually serious about wanting to go to Valor.

But yeah, both versions' intros feel utterly bizarre without The Port of Badon to provide context to these conversations. Last chapter really shouldn't have been a gaiden.

Hahahahaha! Dart asking Lyn to help him because he has no idea where it's appropriate to “grab” Ninian is honestly pretty priceless. Especially Hector's hilariously sarcastic “such the gentleman” remark right after.

Apparently Rebecca is Dart's sister and he's lost his memory? I was thinking of doing those supports at some point, actually, but my “eight generals” playthrough, where I planned to use the lords and one S ranker of every weapon type, all supporting each other, kinda crashed and burned. And a challenge/themed run is kind of the only reason to use a GBA archer.

...Okay, originally I thought it was an objective improvement to add blinking animations to the portraits in this game, but... holy shit. I mean, have you ever just stopped in the middle of a conversation scene between three or more characters... and just watched them? The blinking is actually kinda creepy.

Oh wow. I don't know why I find this funny, but the English translation clearly used the still very Japanese exclamation of the pirate belowdeck who discovers they're taking on water:

“UWAAAAAAAAAAAAA!”

Anyway, since they're after Ninian, it's funny that this isn't a defense chapter where you have to guard the way both to Ninian and to the pirates who are busy trying to keep the ship afloat.

...Also, random tangent... why do they call themselves pirates if they aren't bad people out to pillage and plunder?

Also, apparently, yes, I do have a stat-screwed unit this time.

Eliwood. He's three behind in strength. Everything else is fine, but he has six strength at level 10.

Given my deployment limitations, that's pretty much a death sentence for him. Thankfully, I already got him to level 10, so if I get Hector and Lyn to level 20 by chapter 23, I'll get the Linus version of the chapter I'm hoping for.

Damn it. I was looking forward to seeing how good he'd be if I actually trained him. I don't think I've ever made a serious attempt to use him, since I always considered him the lamest of the three lords as a kid, especially with the whole “gets on a horse” thing ruining his footsoldier aesthetic (keep in mind I was one of those people who tried the game because of Smash Bros).

Looks like if I want the guiding ring, I have to steal it. There's no sign of the speedwings I used to be able to steal yet. But there is an elysian whip I want to get my hands on.

...The fuck.

...THE FUCK.

HOW THE...

WHY THE...

THIS IS AWESOME, BUT...

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE!?

Apparently...

...If you click on a shop while on the map mode of the preparations menu...

YOU CAN FUCKING BUY FROM IT.

...Nope, my mistake. That would be absolutely bonkers. The game just lets you go onto the shopping menu so that you know what you can buy. That is... still super cool. I love how the game basically lets me plan my shopping ahead of time. I wish I knew about this before now.

Unfortunately, the difficulty here is drastically ramped up from Eliwood mode. Way more enemies are already on the front deck, necessitating some immediate 1-2 range cleanup strats. Thankfully, Lowen is now good enough that he can easily one-round archers and mages with javelins.

Gotta watch out for that longsword though.

...Or... not, because it would only do five damage to Lowen and 9 damage to Marcus. Double effectiveness is weird.

...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

When Jake comes out to tell us about the shops, he walks out of the stairway tile that a dark mage is currently standing on, and he just walks right past him twice, out and in, without either of them fighting each other.

That's... I mean either they didn't give a shit, or they didn't actually test Hector Hard Mode enough to notice. I don't know which one is... no, the latter would definitely be worse, but I don't know which one is actually what happened. You can never tell with Intelligent Systems. They're utterly inscrutable sometimes.

Anyway, while I'm almost certain this is just to make sure that you've got a last-minute shopping option before the Dread Isle (where it would make even less sense to have merchants than on a pirate ship), it is actually pretty badass to imagine that these guys are so successful with their... what I have to assume is victimless treasure hunting given their benign reputation around Badon... that they actually have merchants on board to sell their treasure to and buy shit from. And also it says a lot about Fargus's crew's general reputation (in addition to the fact that they can just hang out in bars in public) that they managed to talk completely defenseless merchants into walking onto a fucking pirate ship with all of their goods in tow without the merchants simply assuming they'd be robbed and fed to the sharks.

Yeah, given the whole “pirates aren't necessarily bad people” thing going on here, I have to assume that “pirates” is just a word that doesn't mean what it means in real life, like myrmidon, or paladin. They're more like crazy seafaring adventurers who do shit for money and hunt for treasure. Basically mercenaries of the sea. Or, like... a biker gang. They can be evil, sure, and enough of them are to give them a bad reputation, but the actual core thing you do that defines you as a “pirate” isn't in and of itself evil.

I mean otherwise this is complete nonsense.

Moving on...

...Ugh.

I mean this just really drives home the continuous creeping feeling of “wrongness” all over Hector Mode.

Priscilla and Erk's support (which, incidentally, I got on turn one thanks to all the excessive grinding I did last chapter; glad that didn't go to waste) still has Eliwood be the person she mentions as being in charge of the group she's in, saying she has confidence Lord Eliwood is looking out for her.

Oh wow. Seeing just the tiniest hint of jealousy under the surface with this incredibly meek, polite and soft-spoken woman... it's pretty amusing.

That's what I think people are talking about when they describe the series fundamentally “changing” with Awakening. Awakening is the first game where the humor goes from somewhat understated to straight-up wacky and zany. I'm not sure if this is exactly what Yahtzee meant, but I'm reminded of his contrast of Portal 2's “custard pie to the face” humor compared to Portal 1's “snooker cue to the bollocks” humor. Granted, Awakening made me laugh way more than any other individual game in the series, but that kind of anime hijinks style of humor... definitely has its price in terms of general tone.

I nearly made a fatal miscalculation by forgetting that tiles are either omnidirectional or just flat-out walls. I saw those stairs and assumed that those were the spaces I had to stand in front of in order to keep the enemies out, since I'd be guarding the part of the stairs that in real life you'd be walking up. Nope, they could just go onto the shop tiles and walk straight onto the stairs from the fucking sides of the staircases.

Oh my god.

So just like with Erk and Priscilla, I just got Lowen and Marcus's A support due to all the grinding I did last chapter, and apparently that silly saying Lowen told Eliwood in their C support, or at least something very close to it, actually fucking exists in the Elibian world. Marcus quotes it. My god, that... it's almost perfect that these supports happened in this order.

But I like how this support chain ends. Very nice capstone to their relationship. Honestly, I'm glad I did this one.

The elysian whip has been secured, and I've cleared out most of the first wave. We're actually pushing back now, and I think I'll be able to get Matthew to the boss in time.

Depends on the reinforcements.

Yeah, the game's still sending pegasus knight reinforcements after me, and the attack at the ship's stern is just barely an ambush spawn. In fairness, the player has literally no reason to be at those two singular spaces where they can get attacked by the incoming units, but still, it's the principle of the thing.

Oh fuck.

Zoldam has Luna.

And what's worse, fire affinity doesn't give crit avoid, so I don't get nearly as much dodge from the Lowen and Marcus support as I thought.

It's physically impossible for me to kill Zoldam after stealing the guiding ring without somebody dancing with death.

Rescue-dropping shenanigans it is, then!

I've got basically my entire army on the western boat, because I sent them all in that direction in case something went horribly wrong and the path to steal the guiding ring wasn't as clear as I thought.

I am so glad I did that.

Well, I've got the guiding ring, I've got the elysian whip, I'm on the last turn and none of the enemies are in range of Merlinus, so all that's left to do is get as much exp as I can out of this last turn and sweet merciful Jesus I forgot to buy anything!

NOBODY IS IN RANGE!

I CAN'T BUY JACK SHIT!

I'M GOING TO BE SPENDING THE NEXT FOUR CONSECUTIVE CHAPTERS WORKING WITH NOTHING BUT WHAT I HAVE RIGHT NOW!

WHY!?

WHY!?

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?

...Okay. I think I can work with this. My paladins have... almost no 1-2 range weapons left... but on the plus side, this means that when I get to the secret shop, I'll have plenty of money to spend there, between this and the silver card I'll be getting shortly. I have plenty of iron weapons in the convoy, and I just bought a good deal of thunder, fire and heal, so I think I'll be able to manage with the supplies I have. But I'll have to save any hand axes and javelins I have left for chapter 20. Marcus and Lowen (who's level 18 and will definitely be a paladin in time for chapter 20) are going to have to rush forward in chapter 20 and make absolutely sure nothing sticks around after the enemy phase to clog their path. If I don't have any 1-2 range weapons left by then, I may very well be fucked.

...Anyway...

The dialogue right after the map scene where Fargus's pirates come back feels... kind of weirdly lifeless.

Fargus: Hahaha! We've routed them!

Hector: Thanks to your quick action, we've managed to survive!

Like, that just feels... weird.

But anyway, Ninian has amnesia, and the pirates want her off the ship because they feel she might be cursed.

The heroes want to take her with them.

Right back onto the island she clearly just escaped from.

...In fairness, I'm 90% sure that this is considered a foolish decision in-universe too, and they're called out on it.

Wow, Fargus and his crew are waiting two weeks? I mean I imagine that they're used to being at sea for that long, but that feels like a strangely long amount of time to wait around a dangerous, inhospitable island.

And we get Dart.

Pleasecomewithahandaxepleasecomewithahandaxepleasecomewithahandaxe-

HE COMES WITH A HAND AXE!

Okay.

I think I'll survive.

Take care everyone.

Stay safe.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:21 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Yeah, that didn't work out so well in FE6. Lance wound up garbage from his level 10 promotion, and it wasn't due to being stat screwed. I've ultimately decided that the short term gain of early promoting someone, especially someone the same class as your Jagen, is almost meaningless compared to how much they suck later on. And Marcus is now much stronger than he was before, Lance was barely better than OLD Marcus at 10/1. I doubt either of the cavs would wind up more useful than him by promoting early.

Speaking of which, I'm not a fan of early promotion myself. As I see it... It's only really viable in the early FE games (by which I mean before Binding Blade) and SoV, which happens to be a remake of an early game.

22 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

That's what I think people are talking about when they describe the series fundamentally “changing” with Awakening. Awakening is the first game where the humor goes from somewhat understated to straight-up wacky and zany. I'm not sure if this is exactly what Yahtzee meant, but I'm reminded of his contrast of Portal 2's “custard pie to the face” humor compared to Portal 1's “snooker cue to the bollocks” humor. Granted, Awakening made me laugh way more than any other individual game in the series, but that kind of anime hijinks style of humor... definitely has its price in terms of general tone.

"For some reason Vaike is walking around calling himself teach now."

I always found that early game intro to be a perfect summary of awakening characters. Like imagine a character like that in a game with a good story like fe4. Then you get Gaius joining because you have candy, Tharja joining because she's creeping on Robin, so on and so on. 

21 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Speaking of which, I'm not a fan of early promotion myself. As I see it... It's only really viable in the early FE games (by which I mean before Binding Blade) and SoV, which happens to be a remake of an early game.

I agree with one exception, I actually prefer it a lot in Sacred Stones since its super short length means no one is even getting close to 20/20. Artur is a good example, he can either have early slayer access to make Eirika route even easier, or give you a 2nd restore user for Eph!14 since he comes with instant C staves. It's not necessary but certainly has its benefits. 

Edited by Boomhauer007