Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

Hmm. Not only would having a few chapters before the fall of Renais been better for delivering the emotional impact, by making all those Lyon flashbacks actual scenes we experience first hand instead of randomly, it would solve quite a few of the pacing problems I have with him as a villain. A proper introduction to him instead of all that incessant talking about him before he ever shows up would have been preferable imo. Where are you Remake prologue chapters!?

I'd like to see you play the grinding maps to judge them as maps, so that Trainee challenge sounds like a bit of fun. Do it. You could deploy your lord alongside them to access the supply. Or just trade between chapters. I think that's possible.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with @Icelerate. You could argue that Lyn already gets a lot of characterization in the beginning of her story but also keep in mind that this isn't a fair comparison to deduce that Lyn is more emotional than Eirika is. Lyn grew up as a Sacaen Nomad (granted a lot of them are still stone-faced), whereas Eirika was raised as a princess. I'd imagine that Eirika's upbringing just automatically makes her more acquianted to diplomacy, and of course she'd be more polite and gentle compared to someone who spent their childhood on the plains. If anything Eirika's portrayal is very consistent with what we know about her so far, and it makes sense that this is how she speaks to Hayden. I do agree though that the other characters also being oddly calm in this situation kinda hurts her in that context, though. It is in-character for Vanessa because I'm pretty sure it's a "quirk" of hers to be somewhat devoid of emotion but it is fresh to see Ross and Dad Ross.

6 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Seth has to literally grab her because Eirika is paralyzed with concern for her father. 

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Eirika:
“Father, you can’t stay! You mustn’t! If you remain behind, then so shall I!”

Fado:
“Go now, Seth! Ride! Take her to safety!”

(Seth leaves)

Eirika:
“Father!”

Seth:
“Forgive me, your highness.”

(Seth and Eirika leave, a bunch of enemy soldiers come up to the King)

----------------------------------------------------------

Seth:
“Princess Eirika! This way! I can see no more of Grado’s men. If we’ve made it this far, we’ve surely earned a moment’s rest. Please forgive my grabbing you so… brusquely earlier.”

Also, Seth tricked her into thinking her father was fine so yes you answered your own question. 

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Eirika:
“… I wonder how my father fares alone in the castle. Do you think he’s safe? And what of my brother on the Grado front? We’ve heard nothing from him for days.”

Seth:
“King Fado and Prince Ephraim are both valiant and brave men. I doubt even the might of the Grado Empire can hold them in check. More important to me, Your Highness, is that you look to your own safety. How sad the two of them would be if something were to happen to you. We must reach Frelia to ensure the day of your happy reunion.”

Eirika:
“Yes, of course. You’re right. Until I’m reunited with my father and brother, I must not despair. Come, Seth. Let us go.”

I don't read that as "paralysis" at all.

"If you remain behind, then so shall I!"

She's either resolutely deciding to not abandon her father, or using herself staying as a threat to keep her father from being an idiot. Either one of those is an active decision on her part, and not an inability to act.

Sacred Stones Day 4: Chapter 3

Interesting choice to have Colm be green on the world map when at this moment he's presumed to be an enemy, having just stolen Eirika's Lunar Brace.

Also, the narration says that Eirika “cannot ignore her countrymen's pleas for help” when their chase brings them to that bandit stronghold, and I call bullshit on the narrator. She was perfectly willing to keep moving onward for her brother until that stronghold was so close that it reached “fuck it, might as well” territory, which only happened because Seth said they had to get that bracelet back for reasons Eirika did not ask for before obeying him, literally without question.

I'm not saying her initial decisions regarding skipping the bandits were immoral, and I'm certainly not saying they're unsympathetic, but the narrator seems to be trying to paint this decision as way more virtuous and way more her decision than it actually was.

Wow. Eirika had “no idea” that Renais had bandits? And Seth has to explain to her that they used to be stopped by knights? Holy shit is she sheltered.

Yeah, the game definitely wants it to initially look like the thief is part of Bazba's Bandits, and that Neimi's friend Colm is someone else, so I don't get why they made him green on the map in the opening. I get not wanting to lie to the player, but...

Anyway, we meet Neimi, and... Honestly, I don't have much to say about her. I pretty much have to appreciate that she has a different temperament than Eirika and the Sacred Stonefaces, so that frustrating initial drought of attitudes is very decidedly over between her and Colm, but I mean... crying all the time isn't that interesting of a gimmick. It's basically Fates tier in a sense. But hey, she's a shit unit anyway, so I don't have to...

...Except I do. I want to try out all of the new classes in this game (aside from the trainees), and while ranger's barely a new class, I also wanna see if I can use as many of the legendary weapons as I can. And unless I bow-spam with Gerik... yeah, that ain't happening unless I use Neimi. So it looks like Neimi and Colm are getting used here. Well, this is an easy game, so hopefully they won't suck too bad.

...Holy shit, that means I have to use...

...Ugh. I have to use Ross, Garcia or Dozla, don't I?

...Okay. If I want to use all the new classes, I have to use Knoll, a pegasus knight slash wyvern rider, a cavalier slash knight (or use Duessel), a mage slash troubadour, and either Colm or Rennac. And technically Neimi or Gerik but that's just an aesthetics change more than a new class. That's doable enough.

If I then want to use every legendary weapon...

...No, fuck it, they don't even get new animations, I'll just focus on having all the new classes. But hey, I'll add in ranger to that number. Maybe.

Looks like I don't have to use any of the game's numerous terrible axe fighters today.

...Though I suppose I could always have my great knight use axes.

...Fuck it, I'm not going to hamstring myself. I'll try to get all the new classes and do what naturally results from that.

I just realized that on the battle screen, thieves stab brigands right in the fucking eye.

Eirika's strangely been good about getting defense so far! She's gotten two level ups in 4 levels.

It's just occurred to me that I've never seen much of any dimension to Colm or Neimi's personalities that doesn't relate to their dynamic. Maybe I should support them with other characters this time to see if they have any more depth, if I'm really gonna force myself to train Neimi.

I'm annoyed they didn't shorten the hair sprite for the female archer in this game, if they're gonna have the game only have one archer, and then proceed to give their portrait short hair. I mean, didn't they change Lucius's long-haired battle sprite to be more like Artur's short mess?

And Seth gets the boss kill, and levels literally everything but resistance. Holy shit.

Anyway... you may have noticed that was... a pretty sudden jump there. And that's because there's really not much to say here. And unfortunately, that in itself is something to say here. The game is taking waaaaaaaay longer for the maps to get interesting or worthy of commentary. Both Binding Blade and Blazing Blade (once you got rid of the tutorials) got “interesting” way sooner into the game proper. This is supposed to be the game's hard mode, but it still feels like Lyn's “hard mode”. Just a bunch of enemies who only approach when approached, waiting patiently to be singled out and attacked, eliminating all challenge for anyone with half a brain who isn't LTCing. Honestly, the last chapter was harder than this one.

But at any rate, the map's over, and we get this fairly amusing scene of Seth interrupting Colm and Neimi's little moment in order to grab the Lunar Brace back.

Now Seth tries to impress upon Eirika the importance of the bracelet... but still won't say why. I know he was given something resembling a reason by Fado, but I don't remember what it was, and... yeah, we all know this ends badly.

Eirika finally catches on that there's something Seth's not telling her, but he still refuses to say. Honestly, I'm not sure who's being the bigger idiot here, but... nah, I'm gonna have to go with Seth. For now. I'm gonna have to wait until I see the actual hostage scene before I decide if Eirika's at fault for her decision there.

Eirika casually brings up her plans to eventually free her homeland, and how much work it's gonna take. I think this is the first indication she's given that that actually is her plan after rescuing Ephraim. I wish there'd be more talk about what that would actually take, but nah, I'll leave it be for now. Ridiculous one-man-army nonsense is kind of a staple of the series, it wouldn't be fair to pick on her just because I've already been given such a bad first impression of her. This is an issue I've given many other games a pass for.

At any rate, that's it for today. I've barely spent two hours on this, but I'm sticking to doing one chapter a day. Finishing early isn't going to help me move on to a game I still don't have back yet.

So with that, I'm off.

Stay safe, everyone.

23 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Ah yes, the other northern village has a girl talking about some gallant gentleman who saved her. “He was dressed like a mercenary, but he had an air of elegance about him”...

I have to assume she's talking about someone we meet in-game, but I can't imagine who it could possibly be.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic here or not, but I believe she's talking about...

Spoiler

Joshua

Innes for the bow, Ranger!Gerik for the sword, Duessel for the axe (he starts with an A rank in all weapon types), if you want to do all new classes and all legendary weapons.

Although Garcia isn't too bad, despite what I'm sure someone is going to scream at me momentarily. Just promote him to Hero sooner rather than later, that promotion gives +2 Spd. Depending on the rest of your team and who else would need the additional speed, you can even throw one or two Speedwings at him - you get the first one very early. Even without a single Spd proc, that's 11 Spd with one Wing after promotion, which lasts you longer in Sacred Stones than you'd think. And Garm gives +5 speed when equipped.

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

That was a guess of mine, but he doesn't exactly scream "gallant" or "elegant".

Well, that's probably supposed to hint at his royal background.

Edited by ping

Gerik will be useful either way; ranger isn't a bad choice but no way he's getting S bows with it. Or he can easily get to S axes if you promote him before 20 since he should never hold a sword again as a hero with his ridiculous 15 con allowing him to use basically any axe penalty free.

Lucky for you wyvern knight is better than falcon knight in every possible way, that one's easy.

Duessel is an excellent great knight and can S rank whatever with base triple A.

Knoll is only useful with instant promotion and then basically only to spam shadows, but he's the only one without Ewan. Bonus lol for 0 luck. S dark is almost impossible, which is okay since Glepnir is really bad. 

I think you forgot mage knight but that's a good class anyway.

14 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

That was a guess of mine, but he doesn't exactly scream "gallant" or "elegant".

11 minutes ago, ping said:

Well, that's probably supposed to hint at his royal background.

Fire Emblem, unfortunately, is not known for its exceptionally subtle writing. It's pretty much a reference to this.

On 4/30/2020 at 12:08 PM, Boomhauer007 said:

Gerik will be useful either way; ranger isn't a bad choice but no way he's getting S bows with it. Or he can easily get to S axes if you promote him before 20 since he should never hold a sword again as a hero with his ridiculous 15 con allowing him to use basically any axe penalty free.

Lucky for you wyvern knight is better than falcon knight in every possible way, that one's easy.

Duessel is an excellent great knight and can S rank whatever with base triple A.

Knoll is only useful with instant promotion and then basically only to spam shadows, but he's the only one without Ewan. Bonus lol for 0 luck. S dark is almost impossible, which is okay since Glepnir is really bad. 

I think you forgot mage knight but that's a good class anyway.

No, I mentioned mage or troubadour. I'm planning on making Lute that, and then dumping all my dragon shields and maybe some angelic robes on her since she's not exactly durable.

That was my plan with Knoll, insta-promote summoner, since summoners don't need stats to be good.

Gerik as a ranger sounds like a good bet. And sounds like Duessel is better than I remember.

Edited by Alastor15243

25 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

And sounds like Duessel is better than I remember.

He joins at level 8 promoted in Eph route in ch 10 which is nuts. 17! defense with a good enough 12 speed and full silver weapon triangle control at base is lol

But in Eir route he joins way out in ch 15 (the desert chapter no less) but at level 10, by then you probably have other people promoted.

You WILL want Duessel on the Phantom Ship, I daresay :lol: 

I think it's also noteable that you get two fairly early Speedwings on Ephraim's route (one on Amelia, one stealable in ch.13). I don't remember how badly Gerik wants one of them, but I think it makes it pretty easy to take at least one unit with Spd issues into the team, like Garcia, Baby Garcia, or Gilliam.

23 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'd like to see you play the grinding maps to judge them as maps, so that Trainee challenge sounds like a bit of fun. Do it. You could deploy your lord alongside them to access the supply. Or just trade between chapters. I think that's possible.

Anyone else wanna see me do a tower/ruins run with the trainees?

The mysterious "dressed liked a mercenary", it'd have to be Joshua or Gerik, but I agree Joshua isn't a great character regal going off his introduction and supports.

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

If I then want to use every legendary weapon...

Not that difficult.:

• Audhumla- Every Pally would prefer the extra 5 Hit/Crit on Lances, but I guess you could go Sword with one.
  • Vidofnir- Pally or flier.
  • Garm- Duessel or Gerik (only fools S Swords with him- Ranger is fine, just not busted like Hero).
  • Nidhogg- The prince of the country who owns it is investment-free and not weak.
  • Ivaldi- Asseray, or Artur as he is known in English, provided he doesn't get stat-screwed. Just don't use it on monsters if you promote him to Bishop, the 2x effective bonus of the weapon overrides the class's 3x effectiveness.
  • Excalibur- Lute, or Saleh as a backup.
  • Gleipnir- Give this to Rennac and have him tie it to the enemy, the crushing weight should leave them vulnerable to being stabbed to death with a bendy straw. That should be more effective than actually using this junk.
  • Latona- Moulder I suppose, it doesn't matter that his Mag is mediocre.

I'd say the first difficult/more than a tutorial map in FE8 is Chapter 5. I kinda like it, though then comes 5x, which is tedium between Steel Lances, four units, no dedicated healer.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

27 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Garm- Duessel or Gerik (only fools S Swords with him- Ranger is fine, just not busted like Hero).

How long does it take to get Gerik to S axes? I never tried, but I guess he has the Skl to use Steel Axes just for fun.

edit: oh, Devil Axe is a thing.

Edited by ping

1 minute ago, ping said:

How long does it take to get Gerik to S axes? I never tried, but I guess he has the Skl to use Steel Axes just for fun.

edit: oh, Devil Axe is a thing.

• If Gerik uses a Steel Axe, usable at base with 0 AS loss, gets 2 WEXP per hit. Fatal hits double that to 4. Hand Axes gives only 1 WEXP on regular hits, and he'll be using them a lot too. A fatal Devil Axe swing is 16 WEXP.
  • Gerik's Skl is 13 base, 22.6 at 20/10 on average, thats as accurate as almost anything. So having him use an Axe means no loss in combat prowess.
  • Gerik starts at D Axes, so he needs 221 WEXP to hit S.
  • Thus, between 221 and 66 hits are needed using only Hand and Steel. Considering 13 Spd base and 20.7 at 20/10, he can double with some frequency, which certainly means less than 221 rounds of combat are needed.
  • On Eirika's route, S Axes is entirely reasonable for Gerik, not so much for Ephraim route given his much reduced availability. But, thats what Duessel is for. 

As a Ranger, Gerik can Brave Bow for fun without AS loss, but that doesn't show up until Chapter 19.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:
  • On Eirika's route, S Axes is entirely reasonable for Gerik, not so much for Ephraim route given his much reduced availability. But, thats what Duessel is for. 

S axes is still very possible for Gerik on Ephraim route.

If you insta-promote him and have him only use axes, he'll hit Garm well before end game, probably not that long after the routes join up. If you don't insta-promote him, then you're probably not going to be playing with ruthless efficiency, and that will give you more time for sweet sweet axe rank.

Any thoughts on the "trainees take on the tower" idea for post-game to review the tower and ruins? The more I think about it the more I like it, but I also wanna make sure people won't want to immediately move on to FE9.

4 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Any thoughts on the "trainees take on the tower" idea for post-game to review the tower and ruins? The more I think about it the more I like it, but I also wanna make sure people won't want to immediately move on to FE9.

I think it would be good content if you don't have access to FE9 when you finish FE8, but if you have access to FE9 I would prefer you move on.

Sacred Stones Day 5: Chapter 4

...It would appear I have forgotten yet again to finish the ending story before stopping for the day. Damn it. Let's check this out first.

Ooh! We get a scene with the three original generals of Grado's army. I didn't realize this was now! Alright then, let's see if this sheds any light on... the utter madness that is this invasion.

So we get some exposition about how things have been going for a not-yet-determined period of time, specifically “recent promotions” not going “to people who have Grado's best interests at heart”. Glenn says Emperor Vigarde might no longer be the man he used to be, and then Selena, in true Camus fashion, says that it “doesn't matter what any of us might think of our orders”, because “We are his servants, and we will not question His Majesty's intentions”.

...Sorry, I think I threw up a little in my mouth. Holy shit.

Selena is... wow.

Okay, so... lemme just double check...

We've had four Camuses so far. Camus, Eldigan, Reinhardt and Brunnya.

Camus refuses to join you, but miraculously lives long enough to be set free from the shackles of his own stupidity when he gets amnesia and falls in love with a far more wholesome object of loyalty, then joins the right side twice.

Eldigan resolves to defend, to the death, the psychopath who ordered the sacking of his castle by the family of his sister's rapey “suitor”, while said sister was in it. But again, in his defense, he does back down in the end if his sister talks to him... then he promptly goes back to talk to the psycho and gets killed for insubordination.

Reinhardt continues to side with a country that's helping an evil cult kidnap children for their literally baby-eating Dragon Satan, and not even the slightest inkling of his motives is actually directly explained.

Brunnya continues to fight to the death to follow orders that will result in the extinction of here own species because she's so undyingly loyal to Zephiel even after his death that she doesn't once ask what the fuck his motives are or were.

...I remember liking these characters a lot more when I was a kid. Holy shit are most of them idiots. Honestly, I've said this before but... this feels like a cultural difference. Like Japan considers loyalty to your leaders to be some inherent virtue that's supposed to be innately sympathetic and understandable, no further characterization needed for why they refuse to do the right thing even as their leaders kick puppies and devour children before their very eyes. I'll give the game the benefit of the doubt with Selena, since she's barely just been introduced, but she is not giving a good first impression of her mindset and motivations. Right now, she's looking like a serious sheep.

Hmmm... I like the choice to make half of the six generals new classes, and as a result showcase most of the new classes between them.

Vigarde: I appreciate your work in fulfilling my previous orders. You are the hammers that drive the nails of the empire's will... You will continue to operate... without hesitation... wherever I send you.

Soren: My... What a stupid speech.

I mean seriously, could it be any more obvious that there is something breathtakingly wrong with this man? He's barely able to summon the energy to deliver a Skrimir-level speech to his generals.

But if the generals find Vigarde demonstrating zombie levels of charisma remotely jarring, they do a good job of hiding it, as they all just say the usual “as you will”s and “by your command”s.

I get that “your leader has been resurrected as a zombie” is a bit of a stretch to believe, but surely, if this is how their glorious leader has been acting, they would have pieced together that the guy clearly has brain damage or is being drugged... right?

...No. Apparently not. I question Vigarde's wisdom in hiring these people.

Also, as Vigarde goes on, it looks like Glenn's suspicions that this invasion of Renais is going to lead into a larger war with the whole continent... have just been confirmed almost immediately after. I wonder how he's gonna react.

...He doesn't give any sign that this gives him any cause for alarm at all, but he does at least call Valter scum. In fairness, I don't think the others actually knew enough about the other two newcomers in order to show any major reluctance to work with them, aside from judging them by their appearance or Caellach's mildly-crude remarks to Selena.

Anyway, on to the actual chapter.

...Something just occurred to me, when Arthur brings up the “Sacred Stones protecting us”.

Is...

...is Creature Campaign canon?

I mean, was it Fomortiis possessing Lyon that allowed the dark creatures to come back, or was it the destruction of the first of the Sacred Stones?

Is Magvel gonna have to deal with monsters forever now that all but one of the stones are destroyed?

Or is it that the death of Fomortiis will keep any more from appearing, and Creature Campaign is a “campaign” to wipe the remaining ones off the face of the earth?

...I guess I might find out later. Anyway...

Lute brags about how awesome magic is and that even if the village were attacked, she could defend it perfectly. I used to find this hilarious because no village ever resists a bandit invasion, but apparently she's right: nobody on this map is going to dare try to invade that village, and apparently you don't even need to visit her in order to recruit her. She'll automatically join by the end of the chapter.

Wait... Eirika thinks the fiends are “nothing but legends and fairy tales”. And apparently this isn't just her being sheltered again. Artur, one of the most devoutly religious members of the entire playable roster, apparently also thought that. How did the fiends become myth and legend, even among the devoutly religious, and yet the Demon King didn't?

...Let's move on.

Anyway, we get the prep screen, and looks like this game has decided it doesn't want to gate the between-mission shop by difficulty anymore. I mean, that makes sense, since you can already access any shop you like between maps. Still, it does kind of give more of a feeling that this isn't even intended to be a real hard mode.

Quick gameplay update: I've officially decided not to train Neimi. There's just no point. I'd have to actively slow down my playstyle to do so, given how this game is going to be even more enemy-phase-heavy than the last one.

I am gonna train Colm though. Swordlocked isn't quite as bad as bowlocked after all, and I'm interested to see how he interacts with other characters.

...Ugh.

Given the enemies we're fighting, if this were FE7, we'd almost assuredly hear something dark, something like “Scars of the Scouring” playing here. But here, they use the same lighthearted player phase theme that the rest of the early game uses. I know that the next map is gonna use that fog of war theme I really don't care for, but for the rest of it, it seems to be insisting on this regardless of tone. It seems a shame that this map doesn't use more creepy or ominous music, even if just to set the mood the story is going for.

...Wow. I just looked at the growth rates for the game, and Eirika apparently has all-around better growths than Franz, with the exception of a couple of ties and 10% less HP growth. Really goes to show what a difference class and 1-2 range access can do for a character.

I find it hilarious that the villager outside is being warned that the dead walk the fucking earth, and apparently the first thing he has in response is his musings over whether or not a dead tree would come down with a few whacks.

Anyway, the enemies are going down with ease. I have started to need to worry a little about what enemies I leave in range of someone, at least.

And of course, who should show up but best girl herself, L'arachel, with her posse in tow: Dozla, the enthusiastic berserker who I always assumed travels with her because he's literally Don Quixote levels of cuckoo... and Rennac, the cynical rogue who tagged along because he thought he'd actually get paid for his efforts. I love these three. L'arachel is one of my favorite characters in this game, and you bet I'll be doing my damnedest to train her once we eventually actually get her.

And then a bunch more zombies arrive. The reinforcements are actually getting pretty numerous, but none of them are ambush spawns so far. If this game doesn't fuck anything up royally, I think, I think this game might set the new record for ironmannability.

That's the third defense level Eirika's gotten. In five fucking levels.

I mean... in fairness, she almost has nearly as much defense growth as Hector had in speed...

Artur has been taking care of most of the eastern forces with the help of a forest tile and Moulder, and Seth to “discourage” the latter getting attacked. Eirika and Colm are fighting the northwestern revenants, while Franz and Vanessa go to get Lute.

And here she is. I like her. She's... weird and deadpan, but I love how she does a bunch of utterly stupid shit in her supports due to logic that only makes sense in her “advanced” mind. And I love how she feels the need to tell the person who comes to get her that, upon close inspection, they don't appear to have rotting flesh.

One of the revenants strangely moved without attacking. I wonder why.

Strangely, it's the one that's the strongest, the one with the more dangerous claws. He's at full health, so this isn't some “I'm supposed to stop to heal but I can't heal so I'm just gonna stop” thing, the guy's at full health. What, did the game think throwing a slightly stronger enemy at the player was too much, and had to nerf their AI to give them a handicap?

Anyway, the reinforcements are done, so now all that's left is to feed these kills to Lute. She's gonna be my mageknight!

...And she gets an HPsauce level up. Why.

Thankfully, the boss kill nets her magic, skill, speed and luck. Much better.

I like how Seth points out that since they're dealing with walking corpses, they should burn the bones to make sure they don't come back again. But that only begs the question of how the hell burying the dead in the ground caught on as a practice when in the old days, leaving a corpse intact was practically guaranteed to result in them rising again. Wouldn't people have cremated their bodies just as a precaution? Or once the Demon King was sealed away, did they start burying their dead just to spite him?

...Or do the people of Magvel cremate their corpses usually, and these are all the fallen corpses of the freshly-slain soldiers and civilians of Renais, left dead and unburied in the bloody fields and streets?

...So apparently even revenants, the weakest of Fomortiis's monsters, are strong enough to “outmatch any normal man”.

What kind of power scaling are we working with here?

...Hey... wait...

Okay, I remember there being some CGs in this game. I especially remember seeing one of Lyon with a knife and the Fire Emblem. So I know this game had some made for it... but I don't remember any actually showing up in-game to accentuate key story points. Does this game even use any in-game?

Right, well, now that I've actually made sure to wait until I'm at the save screen to quit for the day... let's quit for the day!

This map was... okay. It was probably the first one so far where I actually had to make decisions that my characters' survival hinged upon, even if those decisions were pretty easy. But tomorrow, we'll be doing... I think the next chapter is where we get Joshua. Well, I'll see you then.

Stay safe, everyone.

I'm rather fond of the Vigarde and the Gemstone Generals talk, it's wonderfully grandiose, FEs 6 & 9 would've benefitted from the like. A talk amongst all the villains in such a way can only be good, even if the villains themselves aren't up to par later.

Vigarde's title stated in the Prologue was the "Silent Emperor", it's feasible from that he doesn't do long speeches. Terse and to the point, no frivolous language.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

...is Creature Campaign canon?

I mean, was it Fomortiis possessing Lyon that allowed the dark creatures to come back, or was it the destruction of the first of the Sacred Stones?

Is Magvel gonna have to deal with monsters forever now that all but one of the stones are destroyed?

Or is it that the death of Fomortiis will keep any more from appearing, and Creature Campaign is a “campaign” to wipe the remaining ones off the face of the earth?

I'd say no, it's merely a postgame for the sake of having one in FE, complete with those bonus characters.

But as for monsters, I assume they'll always exist in Magvel, but with the Demon King's body permanently destroyed at the end of SS and the soul imprisoned again, the quantity of monsters should decline to roughly what it was prior to Grado Sacred Stone breaking, to a few strays in remote and inhospitable places and a bunch more in the still-contaminated Darkling Woods.

Wait... Eirika thinks the fiends are “nothing but legends and fairy tales”. And apparently this isn't just her being sheltered again. Artur, one of the most devoutly religious members of the entire playable roster, apparently also thought that. How did the fiends become myth and legend, even among the devoutly religious, and yet the Demon King didn't?

I'd assume that monsters are incredibly rare, and if you live outside of Rausten, you could go your entire life without seeing one.

...So apparently even revenants, the weakest of Fomortiis's monsters, are strong enough to “outmatch any normal man”.

What kind of power scaling are we working with here?

Sounds to me like they were merely trying to hype them up, and did so without featuring a single truly menacing monster in the first fight- a Bael could've conveyed the feeling better.

Okay, I remember there being some CGs in this game. I especially remember seeing one of Lyon with a knife and the Fire Emblem. So I know this game had some made for it... but I don't remember any actually showing up in-game to accentuate key story points. Does this game even use any in-game?

Like FE6 (or were these Sound Test only?), I think they're ending-only.

In regard to the monsters, it becomes even more stupid when you know L'Arachel and Eirika's support. L'Arachel tells her that monsters in the Darkling Woods killed her parents when she was too young to remember them. So these legendary and mythical monsters that NO ONE knows about have already existed for at least the 15 or 16 (or however old L'Arachel is) years but NO ONE but Raustenians know about it? No rumours going around, no travellers maybe noticing something off, all Raustenians can keep their mouths shut? Yeah, sure. More like someone didn't pay attention while writing.