Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

Congrats on finishing the big bad obnoxious Radiant Dawn. It sure existed.

To respond to some things you said at the end of the game, I think one of the merchants explicitly said that they were inside the building when Ashera awoke so that's why they were spared. As for Altina never being able to sing the galdar ... a lot of this game is about how Tellius's history was passed down as a lie -- by Deghinsea. So it's possible that along the way, Lehran's abilities were attributed to Altina's line (since almost no one knew that Altina's child was Lehran's) and it was just assumed that Altina had the powers because she was blessed by Ashera.

Priam is definitely non-canon. All of the paralogues that take place after chapter 25 are non-canon because they just don't fit within the timeline. However, I've already had my rant about them and I'll let you deal with that 😛

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

a lot of this game is about how Tellius's history was passed down as a lie -- by Deghinsea.

This didn't occur to me until reading this, but I would love to know how the fuck Deghinsea managed such a grand act of historical revisionism in countries he and his entire race had a steadfast policy of never visiting.

31 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

This didn't occur to me until reading this, but I would love to know how the fuck Deghinsea managed such a grand act of historical revisionism in countries he and his entire race had a steadfast policy of never visiting.

Wasn't Altina also in on the lie? 

Nice, I get to be the one guy who likes SD on the thread! Oh well...

Also, three games until Berwick Saga! Hype!

Alright neat, I'll start following this again. I stopped for FE9 and 10 because I am currently going through those games and don't want spoilers, but I don't care about FE11 because I've played Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light.

2 minutes ago, Hello72207 said:

Alright neat, I'll start following this again. I stopped for FE9 and 10 because I am currently going through those games and don't want spoilers, but I don't care about FE11 because I've played Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light.

Nice! Hope to hear from you!

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought that he (along with the other legends) passed down the false version of history as well.

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought that he (along with the other legends) passed down the false version of history as well.

The way I remember him talking about it, he didn't mention anyone else being in on the conspiracy.

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

The way I remember him talking about it, he didn't mention anyone else being in on the conspiracy.

Fair enough. It's been a while since I played the game, although I think I remember hearing somewhere (can't recall if it was the game or somewhere else) that the legends did lie about how Altina and Lehran's child was merely a false rumor, I think that the others had to be in on it at some point, maybe not to the degree that Deghinsea was but to some degree.

Dragon king too old.

9 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Congrats on finishing the big bad obnoxious Radiant Dawn. It sure existed.

To respond to some things you said at the end of the game, I think one of the merchants explicitly said that they were inside the building when Ashera awoke so that's why they were spared. As for Altina never being able to sing the galdar ... a lot of this game is about how Tellius's history was passed down as a lie -- by Deghinsea. So it's possible that along the way, Lehran's abilities were attributed to Altina's line (since almost no one knew that Altina's child was Lehran's) and it was just assumed that Altina had the powers because she was blessed by Ashera.

Priam is definitely non-canon. All of the paralogues that take place after chapter 25 are non-canon because they just don't fit within the timeline. However, I've already had my rant about them and I'll let you deal with that 😛

I expect the Altina stuff is less Deghensea's fault and more revisionist history of Begnion once the beorc gained control. After all there's no way they'd want people knowing that their immaculate prophet of the goddess is descended from a filthy laguz.

28 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I expect the Altina stuff is less Deghensea's fault and more revisionist history of Begnion once the beorc gained control. After all there's no way they'd want people knowing that their immaculate prophet of the goddess is descended from a filthy laguz.

Wrong.

Gareth: King Dheginsea fell into despair. If people caught wind of this news, he believed it would create a deep rift between the two peoples. The king was especially concerned about the reaction from the laguz. They might interpret the birth as a herald of their eventual end. Some might even attempt to harm the child.
Kurthnaga: Lehran needed to hear the voice of the goddess then more than ever before… But he could no longer sing the galdr of release. Is that what happened?
Nasir: Just so. Lehran was forced to make a very difficult decision to protect the peace between beorc and laguz. He decided to retreat into seclusion and consider the problem. Once he regained his sanity, he announced his decision.
Gareth: Lehran was forced to ask the unthinkable of his wife, his aides, and close friends For the sake of Begnion, you must tell the people that I died in an accident. Tell them the birth was merely a false rumor.
Nasir: Lehran left the medallion to his tribe, moving to Goldoa under King Dheginsea’s protection. He simply disappeared from history after that.
Gareth: After Lehran had left and life returned to normal, Altina eventually welcomed a beorc husband. She raised the child she’d had with Lehran as though it were an ordinary beorc child, born of her new husband. Since then, marriages between laguz and beorc have been forbidden. It became known as a crime against the goddess.

So it's the Laguz who were expected to hate the birth of Altina and Lehran's child. Not an unreasonable expectation, the Laguz later did deny the Branded's entire existences.

18 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Genuine question: does that sound like Mist to you?

Most of the doubts I have come from the way IS was willing to avoid making the main character's underage sister into a sex object in Path of Radiance (or barely legal sister in Radiant Dawn). Imagining an adult Mist, I doubt she would stay celibate throughout the entirety of her life when she is shown to be interested in men (thanks to her paired ending), which leaves open the possibility of an accidental pregnancy that she takes care of.

14 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

At any rate, it's kinda meaningless. I don't believe for a second that the Awakening writing team gave a shit about what Priam implied about Ike or Mist when they made him, just like they didn't give a shit about what their lore implied about the actual games it was a sequel to.

Although this is almost certainly the truth.

14 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Wait, what does the game do to not show their attack speed? Is their dragonstone speed buff invisible?

Yes, they are invisible in Shadow Dragon, and it is obnoxious to have to deal with...

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And yes, the dragonstone buffs are visible.

You might be thinking of New Mystery where they are visible.

6 hours ago, Benice said:

Nice, I get to be the one guy who likes SD on the thread! Oh well...

Sorry to damn the game with faint praise, but I have come to appreciate it in the same way I appreciate FE Revelation. There is a lot of creative and goofy fun you can have by messing up all the character's classes, or having an oddball PMU (plus the dumb memeing you can do using the replacement units).

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wrong.

Gareth: King Dheginsea fell into despair. If people caught wind of this news, he believed it would create a deep rift between the two peoples. The king was especially concerned about the reaction from the laguz. They might interpret the birth as a herald of their eventual end. Some might even attempt to harm the child.
Kurthnaga: Lehran needed to hear the voice of the goddess then more than ever before… But he could no longer sing the galdr of release. Is that what happened?
Nasir: Just so. Lehran was forced to make a very difficult decision to protect the peace between beorc and laguz. He decided to retreat into seclusion and consider the problem. Once he regained his sanity, he announced his decision.
Gareth: Lehran was forced to ask the unthinkable of his wife, his aides, and close friends For the sake of Begnion, you must tell the people that I died in an accident. Tell them the birth was merely a false rumor.
Nasir: Lehran left the medallion to his tribe, moving to Goldoa under King Dheginsea’s protection. He simply disappeared from history after that.
Gareth: After Lehran had left and life returned to normal, Altina eventually welcomed a beorc husband. She raised the child she’d had with Lehran as though it were an ordinary beorc child, born of her new husband. Since then, marriages between laguz and beorc have been forbidden. It became known as a crime against the goddess.

So it's the Laguz who were expected to hate the birth of Altina and Lehran's child. Not an unreasonable expectation, the Laguz later did deny the Branded's entire existences.

Wait, were there base conversations I missed? When does this happen?

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wrong.

Wow. That makes total sense.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Wait, were there base conversations I missed? When does this happen?

I do recall this convo. I'm pretty sure it's after Deghensea and right before fighting Sephiran. Kind of has to be given you only get Gareth and Nasir between those two fights (and there's no standing around having base convos right before Ashera).

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Alright, if anyone else has any thoughts on whether you want me to mod in the gaiden chapters, seek them out the original way, or ignore them entirely, lemme know now!

Poll?

8 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I guess, but I'd rather people post their answer so they can say why.

Well for the sake of keeping things neatly collected then.

On 10/3/2020 at 11:42 AM, Jotari said:

I think I'd prefer the hack to put them in. It's not the natural way of doing things, but we all know the natural way is pretty bullshit so this at least allows some enjoyment out of playing it the way it should have been.

I vote for trying to get the gaiden chapters while ironmanning, after all it's a part of how the game was made. I think that going for it will create some interesting decisions for who to sacrifice for gaiden chapters while also providing some fuel for the write-up as well. E.G How worth the effort do the gaiden characters end up being.

You know my vote. 

No mods, go for gaidens.

harder difficulty, but play the prologue just for the sake of story analysis. After the prologue, start the actual game file. It’s a minor part and over in half an hour anyway.

On 10/2/2020 at 6:20 PM, Alastor15243 said:

That said, overall, it's definitely good by Fire Emblem standards, and it certainly beats the remaining games on this list, most of them by a country fucking mile.

But you said you enjoy shitting on SS story more so shouldn't SS be higher because it has a more fun story for ironic reasons?