Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Before Awakening can challenging, but it's hardly the most difficult chapter in the world. Plus you get the silly good debuffing weapon pebble. IN addition of the DLC it's one of the ones I'd like to see played in particular since well it's pure fanservice that isn't terrible.

It's still bad enough I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in an ironman run. Unless you don't mind an extremely high chance of losing a unit forever.

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...I heard the enemy stats were supposed to get ridiculous on Lunatic, but this is still an absolute cakewalk. Maybe it only happens later?

...Or maybe I only got that impression because the only LP of Lunatic Rev I ever watched was played by somebody who had no idea what he was doing and lost units left and right?

Who was it?

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...It's pretty funny how this game just feels like it can get away with having people make preposterous claims about their abilities that gameplay does not bear out. Like Subaki claiming he's “mastered every class of weapon”, when just like everyone else, including people who canonically used to use other weapons, if it's not in your starting class's kit, you're rank E.

Tsubaki is a Three Houses character confirmed.

8 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Ah yes, and the same thing happens here that happens in Birthright, where Flora has to betray you or the entire Ice Tribe dies.

So this is something that kind of irks me about Fates. Well not this event in particular, but it is related. And that's just how every route seems to have a list of lose ends it needs to wrap up. We always kill Kotaro at some point and always find Zola acting as Iazana. Flora is always fighting with the ice tribe etc. No matter what side you choose to fight for you end up doing exactly the same shit. Which I find repetitive, boring and just plain uninspired as far as story telling goes. Make use of the fact that you're on different sides and give different perspective on these things. Make Kotaro an ally on some route or something. Zola still being fought in Conquest is probably the worst example as he somehow manages to find a way to end the war right there and then and everyone in the Nohr royal family immediately just turns on him because he's uncool. I'd be fine with just leaving him out entirely and leave stuff like that as a dangling plot thread. Or hell even reference how the Hoshidon's already discovered Zola so it feels like they're actually doing more stuff off screen and that something resembling the events of Birthright are still happening just without Corrin (unlike what we actually get where suddenly Hoshido is launching an entire invasion of Nohr that they inexplicably couldn't do in Birthright). I guess what I'm saying over all is that Fates doesn't really utilize it's split paths to the extent it could (though it's still way, way, way, way better than Three Houses). For story's like these I'd love to be able to pour over them, analyze and compare the different timelines to figure out why things are different and why other things are the same, but for Fates they mostly keep it to "Everything's the same because Corrin resolves every plot point there is no matter what side he's on and everyone else does nothing until they ally with or are killed by Corrin."

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

It's still bad enough I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in an ironman run. Unless you don't mind an extremely high chance of losing a unit forever.

Who was it?

Get gud.

i am frankly terrified of 3H's writing if it did the split storyline thing worse than fates

like, yes, the gameplay is inferior, but how can a fire emblem be worse at storytelling than fates??

7 minutes ago, Axie said:

i am frankly terrified of 3H's writing if it did the split storyline thing worse than fates

like, yes, the gameplay is inferior, but how can a fire emblem be worse at storytelling than fates??

Mostly because Three Houses makes you "choose" your route split... approximately 20 to 45 hours before it has much of any narrative or gameplay consequence whatsoever.

20 minutes ago, Axie said:

how can a fire emblem be worse at storytelling than fates??

The biggest problem is that the route split occurs literally after the first map, where you get about one line of text about each unit and that's it. Plus, even later on into the game, every event is super disjointed in my opinion. Almost everything is "And then" rather than "because" or "therefore".

Speaking of TH's bad storytelling...

I also really get incensed by VW because of Claude. The Golden Deer are already irrelevant to the plot entirely, and I can imagine how much better the other three routes would be if the resources put into VW weren't spent.

...And also Claude is 98% pointless plot-wise in VW, which is his own route, sooooooooo...

I'll save most of my "TH bad" rant juice for when the time comes, though.

Edited by Benice

9 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

The spike traps re-activate if you step in the area again after using the dragon vein to de-activate them. Holy shit is this annoying.

Those traps are so annoying... I can still remember using the dragon vein to undo one, and in the very next action activate the same damn "trap" all over again...darn things are barely dangerous as well making the dragon veins feel even more useless...

9 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Day 7 Bonus: Chapter 12

Ah yes, this one. This is where you get Camilla. And your ships are besieged by a bunch of Ice Tribe warriors attacking you from a frozen sea. This map is hardly difficult, but fliers make it a lot less annoying if I remember correctly.

I actually kinds like the gimmick of this one, having to find some way to holdout before dawn the dragon veins arrive. There is this tension to having to hold out with these too small of teams as these monsters enemies start climbing onto the ships. Although as the strikeouts might be hinting I think it would have worked a bit better with a more horror elements to it...

14 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Ah yes, and the same thing happens here that happens in Birthright, where Flora has to betray you or the entire Ice Tribe dies.

Funny how this has a completely, ludicrously different outcome this time when very little around it changes.

The way they rush through the threat to the Ice tribe having apparently been dealt with before this battle began, thanks to Flora talking them into hiding, makes this feel just plain strange. Why did she even join this fight to begin with if the threat was as mild as she acts like it is after the fact...

14 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...No explanation is given for why Flora... doesn't react the way she does in Birthright... except maybe seeing Dakota's sword glow maybe arguably giving her more confidence or something? Yeah, speaking of, this version of events only turns out to be the “right path” by sheer fucking luck, doesn't it? Like, Leo and Xander only join you due to events that happen entirely outside of your control. But I'll get to that when we get Leo and Xander.

Seeing how many things are echoed in the Birthright and Conquest stories it is kinda strange that Revelation doesn't follow suit.  Its arguably for the better, as that echoing led to some dumb plot points in the other too, but it does feel kinda strange.

Sorry to point out more story nitpicks, but I did a Revelation's LP, and they just keep coming to mind as I read through this... so expect me pointing out more dumb/weird Revelation story points in the future... for this entry its all chapter 12 stuff with

First how strange it is that Camilla has completely forgotten about that whole discussion she had with Elise, and is now ready to kill her beloved Corrin/Dakota for the slime father.

Second why Flora doesn't know about the Ice dragon that her father Kilma mentions in Conquest when you use the dragon vein, which is important to her clan...

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Mostly because Three Houses makes you "choose" your route split... approximately 20 to 45 hours before it has much of any narrative or gameplay consequence whatsoever.

oh okay, i was thinking the story was considered fundamentally worse than fates because of its split, which sounds hard to accomplish.

the way 20 to 45 hours isn't even the whole game, though...

On 1/19/2021 at 12:22 AM, Acacia Sgt said:

Clearly, it's mithril.

"Mithril! All folk desired it. It could be beaten like copper, and polished like glass; and the Dwarves could make of it a metal, light and yet harder than tempered steel. Its beauty was like to that of common silver, but the beauty of mithril did not tarnish or grow dim."

I mean, haven't you noticed? In FE, Silver weapons tend to be stronger than their steel counterparts but also have less Weight. Someone in IS clearly knew their Tolkein...

Holy shit someone else said it.

I'd thought something like this ages ago, though I also thought "Damascan" and something akin to that seems to have stuck with me, I'd go down that road.

15 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Oh right, Kagero's been kidnapped in every timeline. I forgot. Alright, let's do this.

So did I.

Considering I've been reading through the thread to catch up and found your absolute anger at Awakening's third arc and the spotpass paralogues (aka I might not treat these as canon but why are they written like this?), this is far from the most egregious things we could mention. I honestly expected Awakening to end up on the bottom writing wise after it.

I suspect Fates will be higher already. (Are you only doing Rev? What's the order?) Hell, I'm playing them again and getting serious appreciation for the Dual mechanics in these games.

.....On the one hand I'm happy I avoided actively taking part in this thread because frankly I feel like I would have said something stupid too much and been unhelpful.

On the other hand I want to dive through this thread and compile everything in it together because there's so fucking much information and it would probably help a lot of people.

BUT THERE'S SO MUCH IT'S KINDA TERRIFYING.

(And also, your new ranking system's interesting, will watch with interest.)

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Make Kotaro an ally on some route or something

Oh but we can't possibly let our pure and heroic Corrin ally with someone so shady. So instead lets get Corrin randomly get angry at the concept of prisoners of war, and let Kotaro just as randomly decide that he wants to keep a single prisoner so much that he'll gladly kill off the entire Nohrian royal family for it. 

7 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Oh but we can't possibly let our pure and heroic Corrin ally with someone so shady. So instead lets get Corrin randomly get angry at the concept of prisoners of war, and let Kotaro just as randomly decide that he wants to keep a single prisoner so much that he'll gladly kill off the entire Nohrian royal family for it. 

But taking Prisoners and making them fight for you is literally a mechanic in this game.

How do you mess up that much?

19 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Ah yes. Alright, so, you're stuck on these tiny boats while the enemy comes to you, which means that the more fliers you have, the fewer of your units have to be completely isolated from healers or defenders. I'm just bringing Mozu, Dakota, Felicia, their partners, and then Sakura and Azura. Mozu/Hinata, Sakura and Azura will go on the northwest ship, while Dakota and Felicia will go on the one immediately south of it.

Somehow, I missed it that you did this chapter when I commented yesterday. I don't exactly like it. It's tedious and slow if you don't ferry units around to the different boats, waiiiiting for the Cammy ship to become approachable by foot, wherein a Berserker could potentially force a reset. Bad map design.

This said, it's not so terrible to me, because you can easily 2-turn this map via pairing Subaki to Azura and Reina to a boss killer. This is what I've usually done, there isn't a major reason to not go fast, not like there is any treasure you have to take your time to nab.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Because Corrin makes prisoners fight for him by means of friendship and cookies, while Kotaro doesn't. 

Can't believe Corrin was secretly Big Boss the entire time.

Gonna probably finally start up Fates today but what is the actual in-game explanation or does the game just hope you don't think about how Corrin persuades people who's country he's invading in Conquest to start fighting for him? (Since it sounds like it's a decent while before you get  the option to take prisoners.)

Edited by Samz707

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

Gonna probably finally start up Fates today but what is the actual in-game explanation or does the game just hope you don't think about how Corrin persuades people who's country he's invading in Conquest to start fighting for him? (Since it sounds like it's a decent while before you get  the option to take prisoners.)

I don't think there is any explanation - capture was thrown in Fates just because. Also, it is a while before you can use the prison, as it doesn't become available until a couple chapters in. Worse yet, the two characters who can capture are rather lackluster, which ensures I don't use it.

Edited by Shadow Mir

3 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Can't believe Corrin was secretly Big Boss the entire time.

You send a unit of your choice to persuade them and a bunch of weird noises happen, then they walk out and say whether the persuasion was a success or not.

59 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

You send a unit of your choice to persuade them and a bunch of weird noises happen, then they walk out and say whether the persuasion was a success or not.

So implied torture I guess?

I wouldn't actually mind it as a mechanic, it's just, well Corrin doesn't seem like the kinda person to like torture.

9 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

That's...REALLY not what it sounds like. 

Seriously, I don't actually know what those sounds were meant to convey, and I sorta don't wanna know.

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

Seriously, I don't actually know what those sounds were meant to convey, and I sorta don't wanna know.

In fairness Ryoma begins each negotiation session with "YOU HAVE BREATHED YOUR LAST!"

6 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

In fairness Ryoma begins each negotiation session with "YOU HAVE BREATHED YOUR LAST!"

Maybe he's just kinky.

Kinda irrelevant, but what do you think of Birthright as of right now?

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

26 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

I wouldn't actually mind it as a mechanic, it's just, well Corrin doesn't seem like the kinda person to like torture.

20 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Or implied sexy times...

16 minutes ago, Benice said:

6 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

...okay, now I REALLY can't take capture seriously. Especially after Benice's comment. XD

1 minute ago, Benice said:

Kinda irrelevant, but what do you think of Birthright as of right now?

Positive. Not as good as Conquest but a fun Fire Emblem experience with all of Fates' bells and whistles. Great for when I wanna play a game that's fun but not as demanding as Conquest. But it's been more than a year since I've played Fates, so who knows?

Revelation Day 8: Chapter 13

Sudden unexpected obligations meant I started later today than usual, which means I don't have as much time as usual, but also thankfully means I get to visit everyone at the same time today. I'll be handing out princess crowns again, just because I didn't come up with the idea to do that until halfway through and I'd hate to have completely skipped over someone who actually wanted it right after telling everyone I was handing them out.

...Ah yes, and of course... thanks to giving Ishtar enough accessories... suddenly Ishtar and I asexually reproduce through the power of friendship and produce “Lavender”, this weird... unexplained... clone thing with these particular weird marks on her cheeks that I'm pretty sure you can't get through the character creation process. They're called bond units, and they're all level 1 and have four skills, one selected at random, one from the bond unit's starting class, and two based on the skills you and the avatar you “bonded” with have equipped in the front slot, just like children.

This entire mechanic is utterly bizarre and I had a field day making fun of the bastards in Dakota's War Journal. They're weirdly useful for procstacking builds with Nohrian trust, but... not much else. I have absolutely no idea what the fuck the point of these things is supposed to be.

I've got some resource upgrades, which is nice, and I have more than enough DVP to get them, but really I'm getting more than enough from visits. Well, at least other people will get more from visiting me!

Aaaaand done! Thanks again for everyone visiting and fighting me! Alright, let's go straight onto the chapter!

Ah yes, this chapter, the one where the story says you have to stop Hoshido and Nohr from fighting each other, and the gameplay says Hoshido and Nohr have teamed up to kick your ass.

Also, apparently Cyrkensia has been completely obliterated by Vallites, and... what's the death toll here? It's kinda funny how shit happens in some places that's actually worse than what happens in Birthright or Rev.

But we get Keaton and Kaden! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Keaton is one of my favorite characters in the game. Kaden's okay, but he's no Keaton. Keaton's a fucking werewolf, and while some say he looks super goofy, I think it's really badass, and a major improvement over the taguel of last game. Gameplaywise, in Conquest wolfskins are really handy for being physically well-rounded units with the power to heavily resist crit rates and change their defense stat on the fly to control how much damage you take (useful for baiting in enemies who otherwise wouldn't attack you)

...Right, so, in addition to Hoshidan and Nohrian enemies... we have to fight “invisible” Vallite forces that the others apparently just can't see.

...Ah yes, and this map includes a gimmick from Soleil's paralogue. A gimmick that was way more fun in that one due to the way more interesting enemies and the numerous passages through the area you had to block off to defend the town.

Alright, so, Selena's another level 10 unit you can insta-promote, and I'll be doing that, since she's my go-to wife for Xander. Making her a bow knight now will give me a bit more muscle in emergencies without crippling my army long-term.

But we also have Camilla who will be... far more effective prepromote muscle, shall we say. Holy shit. She's even better in Conquest due to that game actually being hard, but she's amazing here too.

...Man, I've really gotta start looking for a wife for Dakota. I usually play as a female avatar so all of my usual options are off the table. Let's see...

...Yeah, I'll go with Kagero. There's some dumb shit I can do with Kagero that would be pretty fun.

Yeah, so, due to all of these narrow walkways, you can literally use these obstacle tiles to block off half the enemies from ever reaching you. It's kind of absurd. But I could use the exp for some of my newcomers, so... yeah, I'll do this normally.

This is the first map that's even mildly interesting, and that's mostly because of the initial pressure from a handful of moving enemies coming from two directions in a pincer formation, which I consciously decided not to cheese.

With the exception of the promoted enemies, the enemies are still too weak to give anyone much experience, even the units I literally just got. Though that may be because Keaton and Kaden show up at level 15, which is actually around the level everyone else is at. Still though, it's kind of ridiculous how I've got half a dozen combat pairs at this point, and none of them are gaining much experience from these guys.

But at least now we're finally at the point where I actually have to pay serious attention to what I do... sort of.

Laslow: Um... My name is Laslow. I'm sorry we had to meet this way.

He says.

WHILE FIGHTING SELENA.

Holy shit is that garbage. How can these two not have anything to say to each other when fighting on this map!? In case I forgot to mention, these two are transparently obviously Inigo and Severa from Awakening.

Felicia very nearly died because I haven't been checking damage against single attacks from anything but slayer weapons, and I didn't realize this knight had the power to one-hit kill Felicia. Thankfully, she dodged. But man, I've gotta be more careful.

But yeah, Keaton's been ripping through the cavalry on the western side. Ryoma's a piece of work though, and I needed Camilla's aura personal to get enough defense to avoid risking Mozu getting killed with a crit. After that though, everyone unites in the center to take out the boss.

...Who is yet another berserker. I'm not sure what it is with Rev and its love of early-game berserkers. Thankfully I had the means to take him out without danger, but it's still annoying.

And now we're done.

And Azura sings her song to calm Ryoma and Xander down, and... I'm very curious to see if any mention is made of the shit that happens to her on-screen in BR (and offscreen in CQ) when she uses her song for stuff like this.

All she says is it's “really exhausting”.

I don't think they ever explain why singing the final boss song kills her in BR and CQ but not in Rev. What, is it because she's in Valla? Is that what does it? Did that explanation get totally cut out of an old draft or something? Seriously.

Oh wow, and the game has the audacity to ship Ryoma and Scarlet together in this scene when they don't even have a support set and...

...Uggggh.

Anyway, Ryoma tells us our best bet to decipher the ridiculously cryptic advice that the gods fucking wasted Izana's life for is to go to the Rainbow Sage. So that's where we're going next time.

...No wait, next map is when we get Elise, isn't it? Alright then. Well, I'm looking forward to that at least!

Stay safe, everyone!

Edited by Alastor15243

3 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Holy shit is that garbage. How can these two not have anything to say to each other when fighting on this map!? In case I forgot to mention, these two are transparently obviously Inigo and Severa from Awakening.

I mean Awakening is the game where Chrom can cut down one of his own daughters and no one comments on it potentially.

I can't remember exactly (and I'd have to dig through the DLC scripts for most of the DLC online) but isn't it implied that Fates is actually the far distant past of Archanea or something? in the Awakening continuity? I recall hearing something among those lines months ago and Chrom talks about Fateslandia in some fashion.