Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

Just now, Samz707 said:

I can't remember exactly (and I'd have to dig through the DLC scripts for most of the DLC online) but isn't it implied that Fates is actually the far distant past of Archanea or something? in the Awakening continuity? I recall hearing something among those lines months ago and Chrom talks about Fateslandia in some fashion.

In "Before Awakening", yeah, they mention that "Hoshido and Nohr" are ancient legends by the time of Awakening. But they don't say much more on the subject.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

In "Before Awakening", yeah, they mention that "Hoshido and Nohr" are ancient legends by the time of Awakening. But they don't say much more on the subject.

Yeah that never sat right for me.

So the Awakening Kids want to avoid messing with the time line further presumably, so they go even further back into the past all the while potentially fucking even more things up.

Revelations seems like the "canon" one so if the Awakening Kids helped out in any other route, they potentially altered the future in some fashion.

Then again Valentia was suddenly Asian so maybe Awakening is actually secretly one of those "self-fufilling" time loops and the reason Valentia is now Japanese is due to the Awakening Kids altering history, makes as much sense as anything else in Awakening, every single retcon in Awakening is actually the direct result of the Awakening kids fucking up the past.

At least they don't imply it's the same continent at least, because that'd be even more stupid.

2 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

You send a unit of your choice to persuade them and a bunch of weird noises happen, then they walk out and say whether the persuasion was a success or not.

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

So implied torture I guess?

I wouldn't actually mind it as a mechanic, it's just, well Corrin doesn't seem like the kinda person to like torture.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Or implied sexy times...

1 hour ago, Benice said:

That's...REALLY not what it sounds like. 

Seriously, I don't actually know what those sounds were meant to convey, and I sorta don't wanna know.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

In fairness Ryoma begins each negotiation session with "YOU HAVE BREATHED YOUR LAST!"

I mean, I know Fates is shameless but I doubt it's THAT shameless.

Then again Tharja's implied to do something to an unconscious Robin in their A support in Awakening so maybe I'm just that desperate that Fates isn't entirely a shameless fanservice game and has some shred of dignity, somewhere.

Edited by Samz707

38 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

...Man, I've really gotta start looking for a wife for Dakota. I usually play as a female avatar so all of my usual options are off the table. Let's see...

...Yeah, I'll go with Kagero. There's some dumb shit I can do with Kagero that would be pretty fun.

Like what?

39 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

...No wait, next map is when we get Elice, isn't it? Alright then. Well, I'm looking forward to that at least!

Elice is an Archanean character. You get Elise here. 

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

Like what?

Replicate, for one thing. And having Master Ninja as an option.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Elice is an Archanean character. You get Elise here.

I always misname someone. It feels like it happens once a game at least.

25 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Ah yes, this chapter, the one where the story says you have to stop Hoshido and Nohr from fighting each other, and the gameplay says Hoshido and Nohr have teamed up to kick your ass.

Fun fact, by blockinig a path south of where a Hoshidan Master Ninja reinforcement spawns, you can see it move adjacent to Xander without attacking him (or him attacking it...)

I think it's really badass, and a major improvement over the taguel of last game.

Improving over the Taguel is a fairly low bar...

...Right, so, in addition to Hoshidan and Nohrian enemies... we have to fight “invisible” Vallite forces that the others apparently just can't see.

I am rather annoyed by Ryoma acting like these invisible Valla enemies sound ridiculous...after he FOUGHT ONE in the chapter 5...

...Ah yes, and this map includes a gimmick from Soleil's paralogue. A gimmick that was way more fun in that one due to the way more interesting enemies and the numerous passages through the area you had to block off to defend the town.

I find Soleil's paralogue is too fast pace (if you are trying to save ALL of the green units) to really have fun with it, so I rather appreciated this chance to really play around with it.

Laslow: Um... My name is Laslow. I'm sorry we had to meet this way.

He says.

WHILE FIGHTING SELENA.

Holy shit is that garbage. How can these two not have anything to say to each other when fighting on this map!? In case I forgot to mention, these two are transparently obviously Inigo and Severa from Awakening.

I am glad I am not the only one that found this exchange so ridiculous. Ryoma also is missing talks with Takumi and Sakura (although he does have one with his retainers, which is a nice touch).

53 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Laslow: Um... My name is Laslow. I'm sorry we had to meet this way.

He says.

WHILE FIGHTING SELENA.

Holy shit is that garbage. How can these two not have anything to say to each other when fighting on this map!? In case I forgot to mention, these two are transparently obviously Inigo and Severa from Awakening.

I could see him saying that.....

Then Selena immediately calls him out on it because Jeez, you're really trying to act like that right now Laslow?

Immediate improvement.

50 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

I can't remember exactly (and I'd have to dig through the DLC scripts for most of the DLC online) but isn't it implied that Fates is actually the far distant past of Archanea or something? in the Awakening continuity? I recall hearing something among those lines months ago and Chrom talks about Fateslandia in some fashion.

There it's referred to as a myth, I remember that much. Script here.

It implies a distant past, but outrealms means said myth could have travelled across worlds, it's not like Fates doesn't have that in reverse.

Then again counting the DLC as canon's dicey for any of these games.

10 hours ago, Dayni said:

Considering I've been reading through the thread to catch up and found your absolute anger at Awakening's third arc and the spotpass paralogues (aka I might not treat these as canon but why are they written like this?), this is far from the most egregious things we could mention. I honestly expected Awakening to end up on the bottom writing wise after it.

Fates... the thing is I have a feeling Fates' story might be worse than Awakening, but the issue is that its story is bad in a way that I find tremendously entertaining for a variety of reasons. So I'm worried this is causing me to say less than I normally would, but I'm not sure.

And to answer your question, it's Rev, Birthright, and then Conquest. I'm doing Rev first so I can see if not having to follow up Conquest improves my perception of it.

Edited by Alastor15243

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

Fates the thing is I have a feeling Fates' story might be worse than Awakening, but the issue is that its story is bad in a way that I find tremendously entertaining for a variety of reasons. So I'm worried this is causing me to say less than I normally would, but I'm not sure.

And to answer your question, it's Rev, Birthright, and then Conquest. I'm doing Rev first so I can see if not having to follow up Conquest improves my perception of it.

Revelation also isn't exactly that much to comment on in the first half in all fairness. I have a feeling we'll get more in time.

Conquest last? I'm calling the headlines in a few months: SoV and 3H found dead in the street.

7 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Hey, I can think of at least two categories Echoes will beat Conquest in. So it won't be a total slaughter.

Still reads like a 90% slaughter to me.

And I will not take it well.

This is not a reflection on your reviewing don't fret, I still have to process this thread especially after Awakening (Do not worry about responding to that one). I mean it when I say that there's a ton of useful material here across the series.

Edited by Dayni

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

I mean, I know Fates is shameless but I doubt it's THAT shameless.

Then again Tharja's implied to do something to an unconscious Robin in their A support in Awakening so maybe I'm just that desperate that Fates isn't entirely a shameless fanservice game and has some shred of dignity, somewhere.

Kumagera wanted to end the war quickly by killing Garon, so maybe the persuasion manages to convince him that Nohr will eventually take care of Garon?

Haitaka, I have no idea, didn't he kidnap Azura?

Just now, Emperor Hardin said:

Maybe contrition for that act? Supposedly others wanted Azura dead and he could have been said to be following orders.

So maybe if he's captured and "convinced" he'd change his mind about the act similarly to Shura I could see that working for why he decides he would help her by way of an apology. Just an idea off the top of my head, not well thought out.

Course that doesn't really work with how total the Nohrhido conflict really is.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Maybe contrition for that act? Supposedly others wanted Azura dead and he could have been said to be following orders.

So maybe if he's captured and "convinced" he'd change his mind about the act similarly to Shura I could see that working for why he decides he would help her by way of an apology. Just an idea off the top of my head, not well thought out.

Course that doesn't really work with how total the Nohrhido conflict really is.

Haitaka's only dialogue is about showing his great spear style, maybe Haitaka just wants to prove his style is the best?

Anyone else miss Tellius's boss's who each had had at the very least, one unique conversation with a playable unit, allowing you to alot about what kind of people they were? In Awakening and Fates, the vast majority of bosses just had their battle and deathquote.

4 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Haitaka's only dialogue is about showing his great spear style, maybe Haitaka just wants to prove his style is the best?

Still one more line than I expected him to have.

13 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I am beyond flattered.

In some ways it's inevitable when this thread's hit 200 pages and there's still 2.5 Fates routes, two other games and that's not counting Kagasaga/if you decide to do any spinoffs.

I think processing it would be worthwhile. I'm terrified at the thought.

13 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Still one more line than I expected him to have.

Despite its flawed execution and arguably story breaking aspects, I have to admit I did find recruiting boss and generic units very fun!

I do wish the bosses were more developed though.

29 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I am beyond flattered.

I wanted to say, I've been really enjoying your thread.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

42 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I am beyond flattered.

It's a good thread, I joined late since you were doing Radiant Dawn and I do intend to play that and didn't want spoiled but your thread got me to finally finish Awakening. (Got it at least 4 years ago and never finished it until this year) and to try out Fates, so it's a pretty good thread.

34 minutes ago, Dayni said:

In some ways it's inevitable when this thread's hit 200 pages and there's still 2.5 Fates routes, two other games and that's not counting Kagasaga/if you decide to do any spinoffs.

I think processing it would be worthwhile. I'm terrified at the thought.

32 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I wanted to say, I've been really enjoying your thread.

7 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

It's a good thread, I joined late since you were doing Radiant Dawn and I do intend to play that and didn't want spoiled but your thread got me to finally finish Awakening. (Got it at least 4 years ago and never finished it until this year) and to try out Fates, so it's a pretty good thread.

Thanks, you guys.

18 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Thank you for this insightful and thought-provoking commentary. Allow me to respond in kind.

no u

Don't need to. I can beat Before Awakening *winky face*

39 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Don't need to. I can beat Before Awakening *winky face*

I never said I didn't beat Before Awakening. I only said the rewards don't justify the hassle.

3 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Yeah but the game sadly has zero interest in that plotpoint other then it being a reason for Corrin and Azura to meet up. Haitaka himself doesn't even comment on the situation. The siblings later said he gone rogue if you let Azura fight them. 

Its a shame because Haitaka could actually have been interesting. Actually giving him a reason to kidnap Azura could have been a good start and given their history it would have been nice if the two had a support conversation. Azura suddenly becoming his boss and both of them being resentful of the situation would be a good setup for a support. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yeah but the game sadly has zero interest in that plotpoint other then it being a reason for Corrin and Azura to meet up. Haitaka himself doesn't even comment on the situation. The siblings later said he gone rogue if you let Azura fight them. 

Yeah, the game's... oddly casual about the fact that a base deep in Nohrian territory was completely taken over by Hoshidan forces when an entire chapter that occurs later is about stopping Hoshidan troops from invading Nohrian soil.

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yeah, the game's... oddly casual about the fact that a base deep in Nohrian territory was completely taken over by Hoshidan forces when an entire chapter that occurs later is about stopping Hoshidan troops from invading Nohrian soil.

Literally the next chapter.

And 12.

And kinda Chapter 14.

(Undercooked idea in spoilers)

Spoiler

Hell, chapter 9 could be used as a launching point for tensions within Hoshido as a faction seeks to move immediately after Conquest starts and tries to invade, but Corrin stops the advance squad who got to Fort Dragonfall (who have also been tasked with removing Azura as she was adopted by the royals and thus is a problem for them (In case you're wondering my reasoning for this, it seems in character for Garon to give as little fucks about a small force not near Windmire as he gave about Corrin before the game starts)).

They could then be the group Xander's tasked with dealing with and some of them could still be involved later on in the Hoshido invasion, either by some trying to help with stopping Nohr or possibly trying to use Nohr to their advantage but this would also be resolved too. Yukimura as it stands is the most available figure for it, but is characterised by his loyalty to Mikoto, so I suspect that'd have to be someone else. Maybe they contact Kotaro as well?

Said faction being mistrusting of the royals after their trusting of Corrin and Mikoto's death leaving a vacuum, I know it's sadly the addition of something new onto a plot that has a lot to deal with already.

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

And 12.

And kinda Chapter 14.

I'm pretty sure neither Notre Sagesse nor Nestra are considered Nohrian territory. Nestra certainly isn't, judging by what happened today and what characters said about the idea of it being attacked being so unthinkable because it was neutral.

5 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I'm pretty sure neither Notre Sagesse nor Nestra are considered Nohrian territory. Nestra certainly isn't, judging by what happened today and what characters said about the idea of it being attacked being so unthinkable because it was neutral.

12's Macarath Palace, which I thought was in Nohr.

As for 14, I said kinda due to the assassination attempt, but it being in a nation under Nohr's sphere of influence I felt was why it kinda counted. It's independence is something that's not really touched upon, still disappointing I missed it.

Edited by Dayni