Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

No idea what you mean.

Simply put, if my rationale for waiting was for the game to raise other weapon ranks for me, I'd be disappointed, as three chapters just to go up one weapon rank is glacial, especially when I could've done that in two, or even one if I try hard. Doesn't help that waiting means you also get less benefit from whatever items the paralogues offer. Which, as far as I'm concerned, makes the already flimsy case for Offspring Seals even flimsier than it already is.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Simply put, if my rationale for waiting was for the game to raise other weapon ranks for me, I'd be disappointed, as three chapters just to go up one weapon rank is glacial, especially when I could've done that in two, or even one if I try hard. Doesn't help that waiting means you also get less benefit from whatever items the paralogues offer. Which, as far as I'm concerned, makes the already flimsy case for Offspring Seals even flimsier than it already is.

Nope, I still don't know what you're actually arguing. It's something to do with weapon ranks but I honestly don't know what. I'll say at least that it doesn't matter whether you use an offspring seal or not, you're going to go up weapon ranks as quickly as a level 5 unit as a level 25. Only offspring seals also automatically put you to like B rank (depending on when you use them).

I think the argument is whether or not it's better to wait for a child unit or recruit them asap. Considering the auto-levelling for the most part you usually can just recruit them whenever you feel like it, although Ignatius and Shiro definitely need to be recruited early due to how tricky their paralogues get later on. 

Nyx only issues is that dark mage has a horrible horrible speed base. She's perfectly usable if you reclass her. Her speed is literally on par with Camilla in her join chapter if you do so. 

I didn't even know this until I watched a female only playthrough of Conquest on Hard so the person was forced to get creative (It also involved making Mozu a Dread Fighter). 

Nyx's bulk was bad after the reclass, but that's what pair up bots and tonics are for. 

17 minutes ago, DukeC4 said:

Nyx only issues is that dark mage has a horrible horrible speed base. She's perfectly usable if you reclass her. Her speed is literally on par with Camilla in her join chapter if you do so. 

I didn't even know this until I watched a female only playthrough of Conquest on Hard so the person was forced to get creative (It also involved making Mozu a Dread Fighter). 

Nyx's bulk was bad after the reclass, but that's what pair up bots and tonics are for. 

Reclass Nyx to... what? Her Heart Seal class is Outlaw, meaning she'll only have access to E Bows. With her extremely low Strength stat. She's not damaging anyone until she gets the Shining Bow at C.

Or, did you mean Dark Flier? The thing is, that's a really strong class in its own right, for any magic user. So Nyx becomes better... but so does Odin, or Felicia, or certain builds of Corrin. That doesn't mean Nyx, herself, is a good unit.

And it requires buying multiple paths, so it can be thought of as pseudo-DLC. Use it if you want, but when I went for my Rev Hard Ironman, I abstained from any Bonus Box boosters.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Reclass Nyx to... what? Her Heart Seal class is Outlaw, meaning she'll only have access to E Bows. With her extremely low Strength stat. She's not damaging anyone until she gets the Shining Bow at C.

Or, did you mean Dark Flier? The thing is, that's a really strong class in its own right, for any magic user. So Nyx becomes better... but so does Odin, or Felicia, or certain builds of Corrin. That doesn't mean Nyx, herself, is a good unit.

And it requires buying multiple paths, so it can be thought of as pseudo-DLC. Use it if you want, but when I went for my Rev Hard Ironman, I abstained from any Bonus Box boosters.

IIRC I'm pretty sure Alastor was/is using Dread Fighter on Mozu so he's not opposed to using DLC classes (Considering he's currently playing Rev and going to do Birthright, then Conquest next....). I'm just throwing it out there as an option if he wants to make Nyx work and see her supports without hampering the effectiveness of his army once he does get to Conquest. 

But yes, the gen 1 magic users tend to be underwhelming because either thier bases are abysmal or they get screwed too often on growths. Its like trying to field Lyn in FE7. Is there a chance she gets blessed with strength? Sure. Is she going to get strength? Probably not. 

5 hours ago, DukeC4 said:

Unfortunately, Nyx's reclass option is Outlaw, which means she's stuck tickling enemies until she gets to C rank. And even then, her poor hit is a concern. Or did you mean reclassing her to Dark Falcon (which can be done with anyone)?

8 hours ago, DukeC4 said:

IIRC I'm pretty sure Alastor was/is using Dread Fighter on Mozu so he's not opposed to using DLC classes (Considering he's currently playing Rev and going to do Birthright, then Conquest next....). I'm just throwing it out there as an option if he wants to make Nyx work and see her supports without hampering the effectiveness of his army once he does get to Conquest. 

That is all reasonable - if Alastor is planning to use Nyx come Conquest, and really wants to make her good, then putting her in Dark Flier is a sensible course of action. I really like Nyx's personality, so I'd like to see what he thinks. Still, I don't see her as a particularly good unit - just one that can be fairly effective in a really good class.

24 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

That is all reasonable - if Alastor is planning to use Nyx come Conquest, and really wants to make her good, then putting her in Dark Flier is a sensible course of action. I really like Nyx's personality, so I'd like to see what he thinks. Still, I don't see her as a particularly good unit - just one that can be fairly effective in a really good class.

By the sound of things, people want me to ban the DLC classes for Conquest, at bare minimum until after promotion, though probably also after too. I'll probably still be doing at least some of Nyx's supports though, because she's basically the only wife material Odin has, and I've decided I need to use him in order to unlock Ophelia's paralogue, which I've never done. Same goes for Niles and Nina.

Revelation Day 16: Chapter 20

Starting off with the visits for the day, everyone gets a creepy prison mask!

Kagero: It's actually pretty relaxing, waiting for you to return home.

...I can't decide if this is in-character or not. Being used to constantly watching Dakota might make it relieving to not have as much to do, but it could also give her massive anxiety, not knowing as much about the safety of the man she loves as she's used to knowing. And honestly I'm leaning more towards the latter given her workaholic personality type.

Alright, time for the actual map.

Elise: Hang on a second! Why are there floating islands?!

...Elise, how are you only asking this question now?

Hahaha, I wonder how this looks if you have Leo and Takumi in flying classes, panicking about the collapsing bridge. But yeah, this looks like it's gonna be more typical Revelation fare. Powerful enemies, for-the-sake-of-it gimmicks, and stupid AI.

...Also, since I left the map to visit the mess hall, I noticed how utterly fucked up and inaccurate the world map is. Every map we've visited so far is a mess of tiny floating islands, but they're shown on the world map as a mere handful of huge floating islands. Hell, the location designated for this map is in the middle of a large solid landmass.

Anyway, I naturally have Kagero for lock picking, but it barely matters. There's a chest key for all but one of the four treasures. I'll have to keep an eye on what the other routes do with chest keys.

I slip back to the castle to forge some weapons. I take the second bolt axe and forge it for Dakota, dubbing his new electric axe Valhallen. Bonus points if you get that reference. I also made a +2 hand axe called Tossy Boi for when Dakota needs to bait in ninjas. Not the best 1-2 range weapon, but better than a bolt axe against anything with decent res.

The enemies seem to charge in linked AI groups, which scared me a little for a second when all the kinshi knights flew at once. Highly-aerial maps can be scary when it comes to protecting your healers. Thankfully Sakura still had a safe place to hide.

I've split into two groups, each one taking one of the little sisters to heal them up. Mozu and Keaton with Sakura, and Ryoma, Xander and Dakota with Elise. It's working out pretty well so far, but man am I using a lot of dedicated guard stance units. Way more than I usually use. Again, so many powerful units, so few deployment slots.

...I just heard one of Sakura's kill quotes. I'll need to hear it again with the volume turned up, but she basically whispered “sweet dreams”. That could be very creepy depending on the subtleties of how it's delivered.

But anyway, she got rally magic, which means it's time to make her a falcoknight and start getting her rally speed!

...Oh right, this game calls it falcon knight.

Aaaaand I just got the waterwheel, which is the S rank naginata of the game. As you can probably guess based on what I've told you about most advanced weapons... yeah, it's got a really, really shitty downside. Or at least the melee ones do. You basically have to spend half the time with halved strength, because it halves your strength after every attack, unless your strength is already halved, at which point it doesn't count that as another attack that your strength needs to be halved for.

The ranged ones have a much cooler, though still situational, gimmick, where in addition to nerfing your defensive stats, it makes it easier both for you and your opponent to double. Apparently if you use one of these things and have equal speed to your opponent, you'll both double. Not great for enemy-phase tanks, but excellent for player-phase nukes.

Granted, the S rank melee weapons still give some pretty cool boosts. It's def/res for the naginata, evasion for the katana, and I think crit for the axe. But still, what a setback.

Honestly, speaking of S rank weapons, I wish they weren't locked to the routes their classes are from. You can't get the bow or shuriken in Conquest, and you can't get the tome or staff in Birthright, even though one, each route canonically declares that each country has stolen the other one's S rank weapons so they should be able to send the other ones to you, two, they wound up completely retconning where the weapons were located in Revelation for no fucking reason, and three, you can easily get snipers and ninja in Conquest and maids and butlers in Birthright.

...Yeah, that's another thing, weapon ranks are capped depending on class in this game. Generally S rank weapons are exclusive to the classes that can't use any other weapon type. The ones that traditionally get special crit bonuses. I say “generally” because maids and butlers can still use daggers in addition to S staves, and ninjas inexplicably also get C in swords, because I guess people would riot if their ninja couldn't use katana. Oh yes, and ninja also get special bonuses to hit and evade and crit and the like, bonuses usually reserved for classes that can't use any other weapons, because I guess fuck the very concept of consistency.

No reinforcements on this map. I was expecting some, given all the forts.

...Anyway, that's it for the map. Time for the “story”.

So, since the bridge collapsed while Takumi and Leo were on it, and since Anthony was kinda cavalier about what almost happened, Xander has basically concluded that this must mean that Anthony is a spy for Anankos, and... decides to execute him on the spot.

Okay, even though, yes, Anthony is a spy, and yes, Anthony did try to kill Leo and Takumi, this is a ridiculously small amount of evidence to use for summary execution. They should just ditch him if they don't trust him anymore.

...But that's not an argument anyone puts forward. The only one who protests summary fucking execution is Dakota, who does it... just because he believes in trusting people.

...Funny that the Hoshidans have literally nothing to say here. Takumi was the one who came closest to dying, and yet it's the three eldest Nohrian royals who talk here.

...Back to gameplay, we're at the castle, and whoo! We've got the tier 3 shops, baby! That means infinite reclass purchases, and we can buy some stat boosters! Which means I can afford to make Elise a wyvern lord!

...Once she gets rally resistance from strategist. Though it also means I can let Sakura use a bolt naginata too since I have 4 for sale and one in my convoy. If this were still an ironman, it might have been tempting to save them for letting Flora use Bifröst when I get her in a few chapters, but with resetting? Kinda pointless. Yep, as I've said before, ironmanning really makes you more tempted to use that stuff that you'd usually hoard because you “might need it later”. When you can't reset, then those “later”s where you “might need it” actually happen to you all the time.

...But we've got supports! Let's check those out and then finish up for the day.

...Oh my god, yeah, this support chain with Dakota and Elise is absolutely adorable, and I refuse to acknowledge that it can end with Dakota wanting to fuck her.

Speaking of, none of my relationship supports have made any progress. It's just indirect stuff, between Mozu and Keaton, and between Xander and Elise and Ryoma and Elise.

So Elise is reading an adorably hippie-like book about peace, and Xander isn't having much of its teachings, and lets slip that apparently Nohr has a pirate problem. Interesting. Wish we got to see pirates.

Elise's interaction with Ryoma, where he helps her get her kite out of a tree, is also really cute, as long as you ignore the fact that it's possible for these two to bone.

...Which I will. I will ignore that vigorously.

As for Keaton and Mozu...

...Very little happens here, but Mozu decides she's got Keaton pegged as a fellow “bumpkin”. So I'm kinda interested in seeing where this goes. I don't quite remember, though I have a vague memory of them becoming hunting buddies.

But with that... that's it for today. I've got a day off due to all the snow, and I'm planning on enjoying it. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Stay safe, everyone!

Stay safe, and stay warm!

28 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

She comes pretty late and I usually reserve her for Leo.

Sounds like you're planning on having a female Corrin then - which is something I don't do, simply because I don't care for the men in this game enough to want to play as a girl. To put things into perspective, back when they had that popularity poll, on the male side, all my votes (which could be seen as apathy votes) went to Corrin. 

Edited by Shadow Mir

27 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

So, since the bridge collapsed while Takumi and Leo were on it, and since Anthony was kinda cavalier about what almost happened, Xander has basically concluded that this must mean that Anthony is a spy for Anankos, and... decides to execute him on the spot.

Okay, even though, yes, Anthony is a spy, and yes, Anthony did try to kill Leo and Takumi, this is a ridiculously small amount of evidence to use for summary execution. They should just ditch him if they don't trust him anymore.

...But that's not an argument anyone puts forward. The only one who protests summary fucking execution is Dakota, who does it... just because he believes in trusting people.

Not to mention, you canonically have the ability to build a prison on the astral plane and quite possibly have used it to imprison people who have demonstrably tried to kill you.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I'll probably still be doing at least some of Nyx's supports though, because she's basically the only wife material Odin has, and I've decided I need to use him in order to unlock Ophelia's paralogue, which I've never done. Same goes for Niles and Nina.

Elise is the best mother for Ophelia IIRC.

28 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Elise is the best mother for Ophelia IIRC.

I would disagree, simply because it's more effort for no meaningful reward. Compared to Felicia, anyway.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Aaaaand I just got the waterwheel, which is the S rank naginata of the game. As you can probably guess based on what I've told you about most advanced weapons... yeah, it's got a really, really shitty downside. Or at least the melee ones do. You basically have to spend half the time with halved strength, because it halves your strength after every attack, unless your strength is already halved, at which point it doesn't count that as another attack that your strength needs to be halved for.

Actually, Waterwheel isn't that bad if you limit your comparison to the Guard Naginata, which is an upgrade to.

Waterwheel does halve strength, however, it has 19 Mt, and the Guard Naginata has a mere 5. If a character had 0 Str, the Waterwheel would be far better. How much Str do you need for the Guard Naginata to outdo the Waterwheel? Well 28 Str/2 = 14 + 19 = 33 Atk; 28 Str + 5 = 33 Atk. You need at least 29 Str for the Guard Naginata to be stronger than the Waterwheel.

The Spear Master's Str cap, the only class that can use the Waterwheel, is 34. If we breed Keaton with Effie, both +3 Str, and wed the resultant Velouria to a Str boon Corrin with Spear Bearer Talent, we get +11 to the Kana, the most possible. That brings us to 45. If we bring Xander into intercourse with Charlotte, we can create a Siegbert who provides +3 Str as a Defensive Stance partner with S rank to Kana, 48 Str. Add a Str Tonic, 50 Str. Go to the Mess Hall and make some Chili with a good chef for another +3. Add a Str-Spectrum Rally for +6. Add Strengthtaker for +10. Oh, and don't forget the +5 Str from DS with a Berserker which Siegbert can be. Now we've made it to 74 Str.

At this point, the Guard Naginata is 79 Atk, the Waterwheel after a halving is 56 Atk. Huge.

-But what is also huge, is the sheer amount of min-maxing here. In practice, you're not going to have most of this, you might reach 29 Str by the time the Waterwheel arrives on BR, but you won't exceed it by very much, probably ~46 at most: Hinoka/Oboro with their cap modifier, a tonic, great food, and a +6 Str from an S Rank Oni Chieftain!Hinata DS pal. 51 Atk for the Guard Naginata, 42 Atk for Waterwheel.

Under that optimal, yet less min-max case, 9 damage, doubled to 18 because you'll probably be doubling, is significant, but will the average player reach that? Maybe, maybe not? If not, then the Guard Naginata is less good, and the Waterwheel's +20 Crit Avoid, +10 Hit, and no Avoid penalty become worth more than maybe a couple points of extra damage.

...I think the Waterwheel needs to provide more Def & Res then, to more definitively give its niche.

I came in here to defend the Waterwheel, I leave more moderate in my defense of it.

Anyway, I naturally have Kagero for lock picking, but it barely matters. There's a chest key for all but one of the four treasures. I'll have to keep an eye on what the other routes do with chest keys.

One thing I did note from a Conquest draft, is that both chapters with Rescue staff available do have a chest key in them as well...

Fun fact, you can clear that debuff using an attack stance attack, but attack stance attacks do not trigger the debuff to be applied to the wielder.

28 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Actually, Waterwheel isn't that bad if you limit your comparison to the Guard Naginata, which is an upgrade to.

Waterwheel does halve strength, however, it has 19 Mt, and the Guard Naginata has a mere 5. If a character had 0 Str, the Waterwheel would be far better. How much Str do you need for the Guard Naginata to outdo the Waterwheel? Well 28 Str/2 = 14 + 19 = 33 Atk; 28 Str + 5 = 33 Atk. You need at least 29 Str for the Guard Naginata to be stronger than the Waterwheel.

The Spear Master's Str cap, the only class that can use the Waterwheel, is 34. If we breed Keaton with Effie, both +3 Str, and wed the resultant Velouria to a Str boon Corrin with Spear Bearer Talent, we get +11 to the Kana, the most possible. That brings us to 45. If we bring Xander into intercourse with Charlotte, we can create a Siegbert who provides +3 Str as a Defensive Stance partner with S rank to Kana, 48 Str. Add a Str Tonic, 50 Str. Go to the Mess Hall and make some Chili with a good chef for another +3. Add a Str-Spectrum Rally for +6. Add Strengthtaker for +10. Oh, and don't forget the +5 Str from DS with a Berserker which Siegbert can be. Now we've made it to 74 Str.

At this point, the Guard Naginata is 79 Atk, the Waterwheel after a halving is 56 Atk. Huge.

-But what is also huge, is the sheer amount of min-maxing here. In practice, you're not going to have most of this, you might reach 29 Str by the time the Waterwheel arrives on BR, but you won't exceed it by very much, probably ~46 at most: Hinoka/Oboro with their cap modifier, a tonic, great food, and a +6 Str from an S Rank Oni Chieftain!Hinata DS pal. 51 Atk for the Guard Naginata, 42 Atk for Waterwheel.

Under that optimal, yet less min-max case, 9 damage, doubled to 18 because you'll probably be doubling, is significant, but will the average player reach that? Maybe, maybe not? If not, then the Guard Naginata is less good, and the Waterwheel's +20 Crit Avoid, +10 Hit, and no Avoid penalty become worth more than maybe a couple points of extra damage.

...I think the Waterwheel needs to provide more Def & Res then, to more definitively give its niche.

I came in here to defend the Waterwheel, I leave more moderate in my defense of it.

These are fair points. Also that's the point where it starts sometimes being worse than the guard naginata, not when it becomes overall worse. I guess if you can't one-round with the guard naginata at all, being able to one-round half the time would be nice.

@Eltosian Kadath I knew the latter fact about the water wheel, but not the former!

Edited by Alastor15243

6 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

By the sound of things, people want me to ban the DLC classes for Conquest, at bare minimum until after promotion, though probably also after too. I'll probably still be doing at least some of Nyx's supports though, because she's basically the only wife material Odin has, and I've decided I need to use him in order to unlock Ophelia's paralogue, which I've never done. Same goes for Niles and Nina.

Of course, it's up to you. I worry that dipping into Dark Flier or Dread Fighter too early would cut into the intended difficulty somewhat. Yet, to not use them at all would be forsaking a part of the game - and you're going for the full experience, right?

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Fun fact, you can clear that debuff using an attack stance attack, but attack stance attacks do not trigger the debuff to be applied to the wielder.

Neat to know! I'm a fan of how the stances are balanced in this game - and Attack Stance is also the perfect place to have a Silver weapon equipped (as you said, no debuff).

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I slip back to the castle to forge some weapons. I take the second bolt axe and forge it for Dakota, dubbing his new electric axe Valhallen. Bonus points if you get that reference. I also made a +2 hand axe called Tossy Boi for when Dakota needs to bait in ninjas. Not the best 1-2 range weapon, but better than a bolt axe against anything with decent res.

Hey, I watched too much "Justice Friends" growing up to miss this one!

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Tangentially, but I was a little disappointed in the naming of some of the Hoshidan S-rank weapons. Like, I'd have preferred that Waterwheel and Pursuer keep their Japanese names (Suisha and Zanshin, respectively) to what we got. Or add weapon type after the name, like how they did "Hagakure Blade". The Chakram, I think the name is fine, even if bringing in a historically Indian weapon was... a really weird choice.

Anyway, that's just a small nit to pick.

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

It would suck royally if I had to pair her.

Do it for them.

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I would disagree, simply because it's more effort for no meaningful reward. Compared to Felicia, anyway.

The problem with Felicia x Odin is you have to use M!Corrin, or use Odin beyond when you get second join Felicia. Also, Leo needs the extra speed that Felicia gives.

new electric axe Valhallen

Am I on the money?

...Yeah, that's another thing, weapon ranks are capped depending on class in this game. Generally S rank weapons are exclusive to the classes that can't use any other weapon type. The ones that traditionally get special crit bonuses. I say “generally” because maids and butlers can still use daggers in addition to S staves, and ninjas inexplicably also get C in swords, because I guess people would riot if their ninja couldn't use katana. Oh yes, and ninja also get special bonuses to hit and evade and crit and the like, bonuses usually reserved for classes that can't use any other weapons, because I guess fuck the very concept of consistency.

I'm one of those people who wasn't a fan of the caps originally, thinking it limited what you could do with certain classes.

I'm a bit less against it on principle now, but thanks for reminding me Ninja Master is the class that gets all the fun.

4 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I was wondering, thanks for confirming it clears the debuff.

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I take the second bolt axe and forge it for Dakota, dubbing his new electric axe Valhallen.

Van Halen is the only thing I can think of, but I don't think that's what you were going for.

1 hour ago, Maof06 said:

The problem with Felicia x Odin is you have to use M!Corrin, or use Odin beyond when you get second join Felicia. Also, Leo needs the extra speed that Felicia gives.

And as I see it, the fact that Elise cannot fight makes pairing her up with Odin slower, with whatever benefits that it comes with being insufficient to make up for this.

Edited by Shadow Mir