Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

42 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

The Kaze debacle in Birthright is even worse - it screws you out of two units.

I wouldn't say "better" or "worse", really, so much as "different". In terms of the number of units you can potentially miss out on, two is the same as you lose from not building up My Castle and considerably fewer than you lose by not getting any S supports. In terms of the likelihood of you stumbling into the correct solution when you don't know what you're doing, it's probably less likely than stumbling into any S support but more likely than building the right buildings in My Castle. The big problems with Kaze are that it can potentially screw you out of a unit you've heavily invested in, and that it's awful from a storytelling standpoint as well.

17 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Truth be told, I actually don't know if it's optimal to do the Babylogues in Ironman runs. I skipped out on getting Oboro!Ignatius, for instance, because the design of his chapter means he's suspect to dying - thus ending my run, then and there. Other paralogues are more generous, of course, but all of them come with a chance of screwing you and ending the run. And unless you're specifically going, say, for 100% chapter completion, I think it's more advisable in most Ironman-style runs to stick to the main story.

That might be true when you know what you're doing, can prepare for things in advance and don't make any bone-headed mistakes but I did an ironman run knowing almost nothing about the game and without any spoilers, and I absolutely needed the new recruits to replace my casulaties. I ended up with a single-digit level unpromoted Setsuna in my end-game team because I didn't have anyone better. (She wasn't very useful.) I haven't done most of the paralogues so can't really comment on tehm individually, but if the only way to get replacement units is to play levels that can potentially screw you over, that's a pretty big black mark against this game's ironmanability.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Truth be told, I actually don't know if it's optimal to do the Babylogues in Ironman runs. I skipped out on getting Oboro!Ignatius, for instance, because the design of his chapter means he's suspect to dying - thus ending my run, then and there. Other paralogues are more generous, of course, but all of them come with a chance of screwing you and ending the run. And unless you're specifically going, say, for 100% chapter completion, I think it's more advisable in most Ironman-style runs to stick to the main story.

What, is losing the child unit an automatic game over or something, across the board, with every paralogue where they're playable?

28 minutes ago, lenticular said:

I wouldn't say "better" or "worse", really, so much as "different". In terms of the number of units you can potentially miss out on, two is the same as you lose from not building up My Castle and considerably fewer than you lose by not getting any S supports. In terms of the likelihood of you stumbling into the correct solution when you don't know what you're doing, it's probably less likely than stumbling into any S support but more likely than building the right buildings in My Castle. The big problems with Kaze are that it can potentially screw you out of a unit you've heavily invested in, and that it's awful from a storytelling standpoint as well.

Even so, arbitrarily killing off a playable unit is a dick move of the highest order, especially since unlike in Awakening, the children are tied to the men. Doesn't help that the one hint that something is up is very very easy to miss.

13 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

What, is losing the child unit an automatic game over or something, across the board, with every paralogue where they're playable?

No. In fact, in some, the child is an enemy unit (special mention to Nina's, which says "rout the enemy before Nina escapes"; the wrinkle is that she must be defeated as well). There's also Asugi, who, while an NPC, tries to escape, and his escape fails you the mission as well (coincidentally, he has dad troubles as well). But with Ignatius, he's guarding the village you need to keep the enemies out of.

Edited by Shadow Mir

9 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Ryoma gets his first level up thanks to the handful of promoted enemies he's gotten to fight, and he gets strength skill, speed and defense! A promising start! He also gets astra, which is a great if unreliable skill for him since it boosts his damage and dual guard gauge.

Unreliable makes it sound bad. It's a 10% chance of activating Lethality and Jugdral style Pavise at the same time, at base, between his growths and pair up you could probably get it up to 20% which is really high when paired with his crit rate. Most of the time he'll be blowing away enemies in one hit (and if they survive, he's always doubling to get a second one in there). And if they do manage to hit him, then they've just given him vantage letting him kill most enemies before they even have a chance to attack him (or if he fails to kill, that's two more shields to the guard guage to defend against the incoming attack). Ryoma is a ridiculous unit, and it's not purely because of Ranjito (though it is largely because of it). Astra is a bonkers good skill as far as procs go. His crit rate also easily gets into the 40% with his personal skill and the unseen 10% from being a swordmaster. That's 25% crit at base with Ranjito so long as he's paired up, and if he's paired up, before you even factor in his skill stat. His evasion is also crazy too, especially on player phase with duelist blow. They really should have made dodges fill up the shield gauge at half the rate, because Ryoma dodge tanking get's to be ridiculously good. Dodge tanking is meant to come with a risk, but that risk is sevrelly mitigated when doubling and dodging means you get to outright ignore at least every third attack that's launched at you. Every second attack if you make Ryoma's partner a loedstar for Duals Guardsman (though not possible for you since you've made Corrin a girl, and obviously an S support would be better over all).

Edited by Jotari

54 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Now for one of the dumbest enemies in the game: a berserker holding nothing but a bolt axe, a weapon incapable of exploiting any of the berserker's good qualities. With this thing he has an attack power of 16 and he can't crit. Naturally, he goes down like a bitch shortly after being baited in, and the bolt axe is now ours, if only we had anyone who could make good use of it.

...Funnily enough I remember his counterpart from Revelations distinctly

5svZNMLaxJFm5QeOeqopkp2LNVTm2tv1E8d7HSeD

This doofus deciding not to use his 34 strength instead using his 0 base magic, and to add to the idiocy of it all he has gamble skill, so he is just losing 10 hit in exchange for nothing because his weapon can't crit. The only thing dumber is the armored knight that has no usable weapons in Nina's paralogue if you face before enemies promote...

14 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

So I just gave Oboro a fox tail and she says it's “what the sophisticated ladies are wearing right now”, and I've gotta ask... is there anyone who doesn't like getting fox tails as a gift? Anyone at all? I've never seen it happen!

I think it's the people who dislike gifts for their torso.

There's not many of those.

15 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

But he is no general. He is HIGH PRINCE RYOMA OF HOSHIDO!

Leo: "Impossible. How can this general move so quickly?"

GG Birthright.

And then the Chevois rebellion forces arrive to save the day, and Leo and Hans retreat.

...and Camilla flies off with them.

Why? Why would she fly off rather than staying with Dakota to hear more!? WE'VE ALREADY ESTABLISHED WE'RE NOT GOING TO HURT HER, AND SHE WAS JUST DEFENDING DAKOTA TO LEO LAST TIME SHE SPOKE! SHE BELIEVES US!

I mean, it is a rebellion that wouldn't appreciate a Nohrian royal who was oppressing them around. I could see that and a smidgen of loyalty to her brother being a reason to fall back there.

Now why Camilla won't show up for a good while, that's a good question in that case.

She says this not as an objection to Ryoma's call to evacuate, but as an assurance that even with all of our units fleeing along with the resistance's commander, the Chevois rebel army they're leaving behind is going to be just fine.

FUCKING WHAT!?

NO!

BRING THEM WITH YOU, YOU TITANIC DUMBFUCKS!

YOU'RE EVACUATING FROM A BATTLE THAT SCARLET IS CONFIDENT YOU CAN WIN, TO GO FIGHT A BATTLE THAT SCARLET ISN'T CONFIDENT YOU CAN WIN, AND YOU'RE LEAVING THE ENTIRETY OF YOUR BRAND NEW ALLIED ARMY BEHIND WITH NO INTENTION OF COMING BACK FOR THEM!?

THIS IS WEAPONS GRADE, CANCEROUS STUPIDITY!

EVERYONE PRESENT SHOULD BE FUCKING ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES!

The idea she would prefer that army closer to home to defend Cheve does exist.

Also, if they all retreated through the tunnel the Nohrians would be able to follow? There's the issue of this being an active battle they're retreating from, which isn't their fight in and of itself. But in the context she expects the Chavois to win, why not bring them with you after this fight is a good question.

Maybe she anticipates that by bringing both groups together they'd get the full wrath of Nohr and having them separate would divide Nohr's focus? It's not implausible, but I am not certain on this being a consideration. And that makes you wonder why she's following the Hoshidans as well in the context of being the leader of the Cheve rebellion.

Okay, well, enough about that, let's get to the actual gameplay. This is a fun map, with groups of enemies that start moving depending on the turn number, so if you take too long to take care of one group, another will start charging. The second half isn't as intense, but no matter.

They also move when you enter range.

Just a reminder if you want them to move sooner.

Honestly, this map is way, way easier than I remember it being. I remembered having tense moments on this map on hard. And yet here I am stomping it on enemy phase on Lunatic. Even setting Ryoma aside, Silas is just destroying these cavalry. Everything but the paladin dies immediately, and the paladin is swift to follow.

Yeah, I did screw up a on not getting someone killed, but I also had banned the royals, so no Ryoma taking out half the enemies for me.

I mean the way she said it, it sounds like this isn't the first time she's had a bad experience with royalty and farming, which would be... weird.

Could she be talking about what she heard from her family?

Like was it a story she heard about some royal messing up and needing to have their bad farming fixed, with that reinforced over time?

I'm asking as the statement doesn't read either way to me.

Now for one of the dumbest enemies in the game: a berserker holding nothing but a bolt axe, a weapon incapable of exploiting any of the berserker's good qualities. With this thing he has an attack power of 16 and he can't crit. Naturally, he goes down like a bitch shortly after being baited in, and the bolt axe is now ours, if only we had anyone who could make good use of it.

Not the only time you faced one of those... also, the bolt axe has a spotty usability record. Awakening is literally the only game where it wasn't pretty much worthless. . .

Edited by Shadow Mir

11 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

No. In fact, in some, the child is an enemy unit (special mention to Nina's, which says "rout the enemy before Nina escapes"; the wrinkle is that she must be defeated as well). There's also Asugi, who, while an NPC, tries to escape, and his escape fails you the mission as well (coincidentally, he has dad troubles as well). But with Ignatius, he's guarding the village you need to keep the enemies out of.

Right, that's how it works. So losing Ignatius isn't an instant Game Over, but it sets the stage for one.

11 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

As Shadow Mir said, no. I don't remember which ones give a Game Over for the child dying, and which don't (of course some, like Nina's, require you to "kill" the child unit). The general point was, the more chapters you play, the more chances there are to get a Game Over. And I don't believe the rewards (i.e. units, items) are generally necessary to achieving victory in the main game. Although,

11 hours ago, lenticular said:

That might be true when you know what you're doing, can prepare for things in advance and don't make any bone-headed mistakes but I did an ironman run knowing almost nothing about the game and without any spoilers, and I absolutely needed the new recruits to replace my casulaties. I ended up with a single-digit level unpromoted Setsuna in my end-game team because I didn't have anyone better. (She wasn't very useful.) I haven't done most of the paralogues so can't really comment on tehm individually, but if the only way to get replacement units is to play levels that can potentially screw you over, that's a pretty big black mark against this game's ironmanability.

A situation like this, where doing a relatively easy Babylogue to make the following story chapters easier, is conceivable in an Ironman run. Also re: Ironmanability, they should've made the buyable generic units scale in level (and cost) relative to progress in the game (like the generic substitutes in Shadow Dragon). Also, generic Wolfskin/Kitsune would be cool. As it stands, they're pretty much useless beyond the earlygame.

Birthright Day 9: Chapter 15

I'm handing out chef's hats today! Also, I fixed my castle to be easily-seizable again, sorry about that! Totally forgot! Thanks to anyone who's been fighting me anyway!

Alright, time for Mount Garou!

...I just looked on the fucking world map. The hell?

fates-map-birthright.jpg

Take a look at this. See where it says “Cheve”, then “Border Walls”, and then waaaaaaaaaaaay over to the east, “Mount Garou”?

THE DIALOGUE MAKES IT OUT LIKE THIS IS SOMETHING CLOSE BY.

And then of course later events make it clear that the enemy knew where we were the whole time and used that knowledge to frame us for murder and sic the wolfskin on us.

This is beyond contrived.

We barely visit any of these locations in the other routes. Just make your world map line up better!

Oh, Ryoma knows about the wolfskin, but not about Nohr's famine issues? Really?

But anyway, it's interesting that Keaton is the more reasonable one about letting people pass through his territory when compared to Kaden. Keaton was actually going to let us pass before someone killed one of the wolfskin and pinned it on us. Using energy similar to the Ganglari. Were those Vallites, or was that Iago?

Anyway, given that we're up against wolfskin, now seems like a good time for Silas to ditch the cavalry class and start training as a mercenary. The plan is to get him to level 5 Hero, get him Sol, and then partner seal him to Master Ninja. I've seen that build in action and it is completely nuts. I've gotta try it for myself.

...Okay, so, only the boss actually has the beast killing skill, so changing him now didn't really have any benefit except getting the mercenary skills sooner, but fuck it, that's enough.

I'll be buying some master seals since we're only getting 2 here, and I'm probably promoting at least 3. Also, obviously, I'm stopping back at the castle to cook.

Alright, first move, have Dakota do something stupid to get to below half health. Vow of friendship is a go.

The crit rates on these wolfskin are making me nervous. But so far things are going pretty well! My whole army put in good work taking out the first four wolfskin, and Silas is taking out the wolfssegner down the road. We've also got aggressive enemies and reinforcements, so this should be a decently engaging map at bare minimum.

Now that I've been making much more extensive use of attack stance, even on enemy phase, it's kind of annoying that there's no way check in-game what attack stance support bonuses are without going into battle. This game does so much to make its usability amazing, but I still can't help but notice the little places it has left to improve. Or would have left to improve, if we had any chance of getting another dual-screen game ever again. RIP.

There's an absurdly broken set of dragon veins on the map that nerf every enemy's stats by 8 each. Frankly I wish this didn't exist, because it does nothing but trivialize the map and doesn't really add any strategic merit.

...Huh. I could've sworn it was 8, but apparently it's just 4. Is that a Lunatic mode thing? Well yay for better map design, then!

Silas just promoted to hero, and his stats are amazing. Probably helps that he's got +9 attack between strong riposte, elbow room and vow of friendship. He's actually one-shotting these guys.

I haven't used heroes much in this game. Nerfed 1-2 range axes kinda took away some of the appeal when I was first playing this. It's kinda fun to have an excuse to use one. Sadly that means I should probably stop using him for a bit to give the others a chance to reach level 20.

The reinforcements are giving me a decent run for my money, happily enough! Nothing scary, but thought-provoking at least!

Sakura just got rally magic, which means it's time for her to reclass into falcon knight and learn rally speed.

Apparently on Lunatic you just flat-out stop gaining exp at all from non-kills against low-level opponents once you get to the point of only gaining 1 exp from a kill.

...Well fuck. I totally miscalculated Hinoka's survivability and got her just barely killed by a wolfssegner with quick draw.

Yet again a flier felled by a quick draw enemy.

In my defense, Birthright has not gotten me used to enemies having skills, because even on lunatic, 95% of the time they don't even have the basic ones. Still, I really should've known better by this point. I knew the enemies here had skills. At least it didn't end the ironman, but man, I was this close to getting Caeldori.

But to say something more tangibly in my defense, this wasn't some careless “sure, why not” stunt I did. The situation was pretty intense and I didn't have many options. That map snuck up on me big time. When you get halfway, reinforcements start showing up everywhere and my army was caught in that fucking mountain pass where you can barely move.

But without Hinoka, Subaki's barely justifiable in deploying at this point. Looks like I'll be having some slots open for some new combat fliers, and I know for sure that Scarlet is at the top of that list. I'll probably be bringing back Reina too, at least briefly. Also, I was torn between having Mozu go to sniper or kinshi knight at first. The plan was always to have her end in kinshi knight, but I want those sniper skills. But it looks like I'll be doing that later rather than sooner.

Takumi just promoted to sniper at level 20. Awesome. I'll probably make him a kinshi knight briefly eventually once he marries Azura so he can get darting blow, which for him will be vital. His speed really isn't all that great, and having some help doubling before getting the pursuer would be ideal.

Ah yes, and now Kaze's completely ridiculous would-be death scene, with several shots with Dakota's exposed thong.

The earth just fucking OPENS UP TO SWALLOW THEM WHOLE, IT'S COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS.

...Was that crystal he threw a shuriken at... one of the crystals Ganglari was made out of? Was that how he knew it would explode?

I thought that weapon was made with stuff only in Valla.

ARE YOU TELLING ME THERE ARE EXPLODING CRYSTALS NATIVE TO WOLFSKIN TERRITORY AND KEATON STILL ASSUMED I KILLED THAT GUY!?

Also, when Kaze spots the crystal:

Kaze: Hmm, is that what I think it is?

And yet:

Dakota: What WAS that?

Kaze: I... I don't know.

If he's lying, if this is supposed to be some sort of mystery, then it's garbage, because this is never fucking explained anywhere.

And now I'm laughing hysterically as there's a story scene where calm Hoshidan music plays while the camera slowly pans down to Ryoma and Dakota majestically looking at the sunrise... with Dakota's bethonged ass on full display.

God, there is so much ridiculous shit you can do to make these scenes utterly hysterical. And that's to say nothing of the lines characters wind up saying in My Castle buildings.

Ah yes, and Felicia just showed up. Explaining that she's been searching for us ever since hearing we'd “gone missing”, going through the astral plane for weeks to find us.

This still happens, even in Conquest.

When you've been in Nohr for 90% of the game up to that point and the same-sex servant could have easily just fucking asked where you were.

Alright, support time. First, Saizo and Dakota's B.

This is kinda funny but also disturbing now that I type it out, with Saizo realizing that his persistent stalking of Dakota has actually caused her to be really physically drained.

Mozu and Saizo are now rank B. I'm hoping to get them to rank S as soon as possible to get some more kinshi knights, though Takumi and Azura are also an options for that, and it wouldn't take a heart seal. I'm kind of alarmed I don't have a single S rank yet. Though I did change tack with Kaze and Hana for Dakota and Silas, so maybe it's not so surprising. Their support was just some casual conversation about Mozu's cooking. Nothing special, but nothing offensive either.

Silas and Kagero are now rank A. Let's see what wacky horrors Silas gets himself into this time.

They actually bond over how mutually shitty they are at painting, which is kind of adorable. Silas demonstrates how terrible he is at painting by trying to paint her, and...

Kagero: This is the first time I've seen such a horrible crime committed on canvas. That's not me. That's not even human. Maybe a demon, but even then...

But yeah, I can't possibly see an S support between these two being at all natural. I'm bracing myself for another Stahl and Miriel. “There's one thing I'm not average at, Miriel! BEING IN LOVE WITH YOU!” Oh sweet jesus that was horrible.

Alright, so Saizo and Azura's B. Azura winds up helping out Saizo in an eerily similar support to Saizo's earlier support with Sakura, and Azura... by the sounds of things... tears her dress to make bandages for his wound. Given that she's already flashing a side view of her panties with that dress, I have to assume this looks incredibly indecent.

...Apparently she has a scar on the leg she doesn't expose with her dress?

Oh right, I remember hearing about this. Some Nohrian kids bullied her and some kind of prank went too far and gave her a really brutal scar on her leg. One that Saizo says “looks very painful” even a decade later. Jesus, how the hell does she dance?

...Okay, now for Sakura and Subaki.

Apparently Subaki has some kind of Inigo-esque complex of working ridiculously hard in order to do things without looking like he's really trying hard. Putting up this facade of an invincible badass. Honestly, part of me wants to keep him recruited until I can learn more about this.

And now for Takumi and Azura.

...Mostly just the aftermath to the incident with the kid. Takumi apologizes for being so distant with Azura. Alright, works for me. Now let's get them to that S support as soon as possible.

But that'll have to wait until tomorrow. For now, I'm done.

Stay safe, everyone!

...Stay safer than Hinoka.

Edited by Alastor15243

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Take a look at this. See where it says “Cheve”, then “Border Walls”, and then waaaaaaaaaaaay over to the east, “Mount Garou”?

It is just me, or is it weird that the Ice Tribe Village is near what looks to be a desert? Sure, mountains, altitude, different climate, but wouldn't the village make more sense north of Krakenburg/Windmire with all that taiga wasteland?

T'would, being so close to the Nohrian capital, make for a great reason for severe animosity between the Tribe and Nohr. "Nohr will never forget the time in 628 when you ransacked the eternal city!" "We shall endure the bitterest cold, it stings us naught. The time you massacred that village of nothing but elderly, women, and children in 591, provides us with all the rage we need to stay warm until Nohr is dust beneath our feet!"

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

59 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

THE DIALOGUE MAKES IT OUT LIKE THIS IS SOMETHING CLOSE BY.

Really doesn't help Chapter 16 is closer to the border wall too.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

In my defense, Birthright has not gotten me used to enemies having skills, because even on lunatic, 95% of the time they don't even have the basic ones. Still, I really should've known better by this point. I knew the enemies here had skills. At least it didn't end the ironman, but man, I was this close to getting Caeldori.

RIP

Takumi just promoted to sniper at level 20. Awesome. I'll probably make him a kinshi knight briefly eventually once he marries Azura so he can get darting blow, which for him will be vital. His speed really isn't all that great, and having some help doubling before getting the pursuer would be ideal.

Holy crap that works.

Well that's a consideration I didn't make.

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Sakura just got rally magic, which means it's time for her to reclass into falcon knight and learn rally speed.

...are you even using any mages? Because I don't see Rally Magic worth picking up if you aren't... and I'm under the impression you're going without mages.

I haven't used heroes much in this game. Nerfed 1-2 range axes kinda took away some of the appeal when I was first playing this. It's kinda fun to have an excuse to use one. Sadly that means I should probably stop using him for a bit to give the others a chance to reach level 20.

I never found much reason to use heroes either, except it's because Sol fell off a cliff in terms of usability compared to Tellius. Draining half the enemy's health is only meaningful if it procs when the enemy's healthy, otherwise it is no help. Doesn't help that bows are better than ever, which means any mercs I use go straight to Bow Knight and never look back.

...Well fuck. I totally miscalculated Hinoka's survivability and got her just barely killed by a wolfssegner with quick draw.

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

And then of course later events make it clear that the enemy knew where we were the whole time and used that knowledge to frame us for murder and sic the wolfskin on us.

This is beyond contrived.

We barely visit any of these locations in the other routes. Just make your world map line up better!

...more of Fate's world building letting what it pretends is a story down...

Youch, that has to hurt. At least it wasn't an ironman ending Corrin kill...

I was going to comment this on a different quote, but this is a better one for it. I distinctly remember this map as the one where skills become relevant in Birthright, and I find it makes it one of the better maps of Birthright. Plus the Dragon Vein here are actually useful, especially when things start getting intense with the reinforcements.

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Kaze: Hmm, is that what I think it is?

And yet:

Dakota: What WAS that?

Kaze: I... I don't know.

...ughh...why does Fate's story have to be so dumb. I remember this as the least dumb of the three, and its still filled to brim with stupid...

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It is just me, or is it weird that the Ice Tribe Village is near looks to be a desert? Sure, mountains, altitude, different climate, but wouldn't the village make more sense north of Krakenburg/Windmire with all that taiga wasteland?

Until I took a closer look at that map I legitimately remember the Ice tribe being to the North-East of Krakenburg...god Fate's world building is awful...

God, there is so much ridiculous shit you can do to make these scenes utterly hysterical. And that's to say nothing of the lines characters wind up saying in My Castle buildings.

The most ridiculous one is the fact that Midori's paralogue opens after Kaze survives chapter 15. It VERY strongly implies that Kaze and his wife had, you know...

6 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...I just looked on the fucking world map. The hell?

For some reason, I mostly imagine Nohr and Hoshido to be really small. Something around the size of the territory a Sengoku period daimyo or a medieval Irish petty king. So I've been imagining the "world" map as actually covering something around about the area of Shikoku or Connacht rather than anything continent-spanning. There's probably all sorts of stuff in the story that contradicts this, but it just feels small to me. The geography feels as if everything is close together, and the conflict itself feels extremely provincial. I couldn't put my finger on exactly why it feels that way, but that's what I just unthinkingly assumed when I played.

6 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

At least it didn't end the ironman, but man, I was this close to getting Caeldori.

I know I'm probably going to continue to be alone on this, but the more I think about it, the less I like the way children units work in this game. I don't like that losing a unit can mean also losing out on a new recruit as well. At least part of this is probably just that the system made a terrible first impression on me so now I have confirmation bias and am looking for flaws, but damn. I don't like this at all.

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I never found much reason to use heroes wither, except it's because Sol fell off a cliff in terms of usability compared to Tellius. Draining half the enemy's health is only meaningful if it procs when the enemy's healthy, otherwise it is no help. Doesn't help that bows are better than ever.

Sol was instrumental to my beating Conquest. I'd mentally checked out by the end and decided that soloing the last half dozen chapters with Corrin (+Jakob pair up) would be easier than doing them properly. The healing from frequent Sol procs was the only reason I had enough survivability for it to be viable.

Edited by lenticular

10 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Sol was instrumental to my beating Conquest. I'd mentally checked out by the end and decided that soloing the last half dozen chapters with Corrin (+Jakob pair up) would be easier than doing them properly. The healing from frequent Sol procs was the only reason I had enough survivability for it to be viable.

At best, you only get a little over a 1/3 chance of it kicking in. That's not what I would call reliable... Especially to someone who (recently) had the fortune of pulling two 5 stars in the same pull.... Only for it to also be the MISfortune for BOTH of them to not only be the exact same hero, but for them to be DUPES of one I already had. 

Edited by Shadow Mir

4 minutes ago, lenticular said:

For some reason, I mostly imagine Nohr and Hoshido to be really small. Something around the size of the territory a Sengoku period daimyo or a medieval Irish petty king. So I've been imagining the "world" map as actually covering something around about the area of Shikoku or Connacht rather than anything continent-spanning. There's probably all sorts of stuff in the story that contradicts this, but it just feels small to me. The geography feels as if everything is close together, and the conflict itself feels extremely provincial. I couldn't put my finger on exactly why it feels that way, but that's what I just unthinkingly assumed when I played.

Well they basically heavily insinuate that at least with mounted assistance, you can get from the bottomless canyon to Castle Shirasagi in about an hour.

5 minutes ago, lenticular said:

I know I'm probably going to continue to be alone on this, but the more I think about it, the less I like the way children units work in this game. I don't like that losing a unit can mean also losing out on a new recruit as well. At least part of this is probably just that the system made a terrible first impression on me so now I have confirmation balance and am looking for flaws, but damn. I don't like this at all.

That's confirmation bias, by the way.

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I never found much reason to use heroes either, except it's because Sol fell off a cliff in terms of usability compared to Tellius. Draining half the enemy's health is only meaningful if it procs when the enemy's healthy, otherwise it is no help. Doesn't help that bows are better than ever, which means any mercs I use go straight to Bow Knight and never look back.

You still, on average, get a quarter of an enemy's HP back per proc, no matter how much overflow damage you do. And while non-ironman runs can very easily rely on the healing to keep certain users alive, it's still an insanely useful survival aid when there are no healers around.

4 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

At best, you only get a little over a 1/3 chance of it kicking it. That's not what I would call reliable... Especially to someone who (recently) had the misfortune of pulling two 5 stars in the same pull.... Only for BOTH of them to not only be the exact same hero, but for them to be DUPES of the exact same hero. :angry:

That depends. If you're soloing an entire map, you're getting enough kills that it starts to even itself out. You can still get unlucky with streaks of no procs, but I wasn't ironmanning, so I didn't really care. (And I don't play Heroes so I have no idea how likely or unlikely that thing you described is.)

7 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

That's confirmation bias, by the way.

Yeah. I know. I just have a bad habit of having brain fart moments where I think one word but type another one. Thanks for pointing it out so I can edit.

11 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Not the only time you faced one of those... also, the bolt axe has a spotty usability record. Awakening is literally the only game where it wasn't pretty much worthless. . .

In your opinion. You managed to get the Bolt Axe considered in the "Would you use this useless thing" Three Houses thread, and everyone was confused because the majority find it very useful in Three Houses.

You still, on average, get a quarter of an enemy's HP back per proc, no matter how much overflow damage you do. And while non-ironman runs can very easily rely on the healing to keep certain users alive, it's still an insanely useful survival aid when there are no healers around.

That's not a lot, as I see it. Especially when Sol becomes much less useful if it doesn't proc against a healthy enemy. Also, you still have to grapple with miss chances.

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

That depends. If you're soloing an entire map, you're getting enough kills that it starts to even itself out. You can still get unlucky with streaks of no procs, but I wasn't ironmanning, so I didn't really care. (And I don't play Heroes so I have no idea how likely or unlikely that thing you described is.)

It was in Heroes... just not FEH (which, coincidentally, is about the only modern game Sol manages to be useful in). In this? For it to be a net positive, I either need to take less than half the damage that I'm dealing, pray the enemy misses, or be in a position where the enemy can't counter. All while hoping the enemy is healthy when it procs. Which means Sol pretty much mandates a serious lucky streak for it to be useful. I'd rather use chad Renewal instead of virgin Sol, as it doesn't require lots of luck to work.

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

In your opinion. You managed to get the Bolt Axe considered in the "Would you use this useless thing" Three Houses thread, and everyone was confused because the majority find it very useful in Three Houses.

Maybe I have very high standards for usefulness. I'm not going to be impressed by a magic weapon that has almost no good users... Just to put things into perspective, if I had a War Monk/Cleric in Awakening, I likely had someone who could make good use of the Bolt Axe. In the other games with it... The only decent user in Path of Radiance is the guy who you have to kill to get it in the first place. Fates required reclassing to get a good user, and 3H literally has only two characters that could get good mileage out of it (and unfortunately, both are weak in bows).

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

I think new discussed this briefly back in Chapter 5 of Revalation. Whole that would make sense from the prospective if the distances travelled, it makes almost no sense for the massive cultural divide between the two nations (and their sattelites).

9 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Maybe I have very high standards for usefulness. I'm not going to be impressed by a magic weapon that has almost no good users...

Sure, if by no good users you mean pretty much the entire cast. Just going to leave this so people can read up on how wrong you are.

18 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think new discussed this briefly back in Chapter 5 of Revalation. Whole that would make sense from the prospective if the distances travelled, it makes almost no sense for the massive cultural divide between the two nations (and their sattelites).

I don't find the cultural differences that unbelievable. There's a huge geographic barrier to travel between the two kingdoms, plus the whole thing with Nohr always being dark would probably do something weird to the culture.

Ultimately, this is Fates worldbuilding we're tlaking about though. There are always going to be holes in it that need all sorts of mental gymnastics to try to rationalise. It's going to be a matter of personal preference which interpretation has the holes and nonsensities that are less headache-inducing.

41 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

It was in Heroes... just not FEH (which, coincidentally, is about the only modern game Sol manages to be useful in). In this? For it to be a net positive, I either need to take less than half the damage that I'm dealing, pray the enemy misses, or be in a position where the enemy can't counter. All while hoping the enemy is healthy when it procs. Which means Sol pretty much mandates a serious lucky streak for it to be useful. I'd rather use chad Renewal instead of virgin Sol, as it doesn't require lots of luck to work.

I have no clue what point you're trying to make here and I've had way too much of a Day for an argument about skill viability to sound fun so I'm just going to say that I'm going to agree to disagree on this one.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Sure, if by no good users you mean pretty much the entire cast. Just going to leave this so people can read up on how wrong you are.

I don't consider old polls credible, because opinions change with time. Anyway, for me to consider it useful, I'd have to ignore the 15 weight and the 60 base hit (along with the fact that with the magic hit formula, the user's accuracy is likely going to be down there), which is asking way too much. Anyway, I'm not going to get any real mileage out of it by having, say, Hilda use it.

Edited by Shadow Mir

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't consider old polls credible, because opinions change with time. Anyway, for me to consider it useful, I'd have to ignore the 15 weight and the 60 base hit (along with the fact that with the magic hit formula, the user's accuracy is likely going to be down there), which is asking way too much. Anyway, I'm not going to get any real mileage out of it by having, say, Hilda use it.

The 15 weight isn't that important because most units with the magic to use it effectively won't be doubling nor will they get doubled because they shouldn't be getting hit any amount of times. The magic hit formula is actually a good thing because most units don't have a huge difference in Dex and Luck so the magic hit won't be much better or worse than physical hit, but enemies will have lower magic avoid than physical avoid because they have less luck than speed (although since magic avo uses Speed and not AS like phys avo, the difference may be less than it looks), but it also doesn't care about terrain. You can also attack at 2 or 3 range without an accuracy penalty unlike bows. Even is you are still having hit issues, hit is known to be easy to boost by using Linked Attacks, getting Hit +20, Prowess Skills (Axe Lv 4 gives +16 and Lv 5 gives +20) and using Combat Arts. With Axe Prowess Lv 5 and Hit +20, that's an extra +40 hit added onto the base hit of the Bolt Axe, and there's Lancebreaker as well for Paladins and Fortress Knights.