Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

Just now, Imuabicus said:

@Alastor15243 So, if you get a required parent unit locked, do you then also lose the kid? Seeing as the parent unit would technically be force deployed.

No, I just can't have them do anything when deployed in that paralogue. You don't lose the paralogues if they died for real after all.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

No, I just can't have them do anything when deployed in that paralogue. You don't lose the paralogues if they died for real after all.

Oh...Well that was 50% of the motivation for my vote.

...So. I just checked the strawpoll. The results were 5 votes for Jakob, 4 for Odin, 2 for Xander and Camilla, and 1 for Elise, Effie and Gunter.

So Jakob's getting the axe for Dakota's death.

On the one hand, he was past his expiration date as a combat unit anyhow. That terrible speed and defense combo finally caught up to him and made his psycho attack stat far less valuable. Still though, not having those crazy stat boosts on Dakota in pair-up is gonna hurt. I may have to use Felicia as her pair-up partner, but not being able to make her a malig knight in any way will obviously make her less than ideal. Hero maybe?

Questions for later. For now, the ironman is alive and well, and I have to work with this.

Edited by Alastor15243

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

...So. I just checked the strawpoll. The results were 5 votes for Jakob, 4 for Odin, 2 for Xander and Camilla, and 1 for Elise, Effie and Gunter.

So Jakob's getting the axe for Dakota's death.

On the one hand, he was past his expiration date as a combat unit anyhow. That terrible speed and defense combo finally caught up to him and made his psycho attack stat far less valuable. Still though, not having those crazy stat boosts on Dakota in pair-up is gonna hurt. I may have to use Felicia as her pair-up partner, but not being able to make her a malig knight in any way will obviously make her less than ideal. Hero maybe?

Questions for later. For now, the ironman is alive and well, and I have to work with this.

What would you have done in the event of a tie?

Conquest Day 18: Chapter 17, Take 2

Aaaand the people have spoken. Jakob is gone.

Well that sucks. This also means that I'll have to take the chef's hat off him and give it to my next-best chef, which would be Peri. But since that'll have the same results, the fact that Jakob is in the mess hall today due to shift-changing taking time doesn't really matter.

Speaking of which, I either got extremely lucky with the re-roll on cooking, or his next meal is fixed to prevent save-scumming, because I got what feels like the exact same result from this meal as I got on my first attempt that wasn't saved because I was ironmanning and stopped religiously saving. I did thankfully save Dakota's birthday boost though.

Ah yes, and accessories got me a support with Niles.

Niles decides to be a teasing little bitch about his past. Moving on.

Alright.

Let's.

Fucking.

Do.

This.

I've got everyone mealed up and boosted by strength tonics. I won't make the same mistake this time that I did last, obviously. Actually, I just used the two goddess icons that I let Zoran convince me might be better off being sold. Yeah, easy for you to say when you can reset, Zoran, but over here in ironmanland luck has consequences! So glad I just hung onto them instead of selling them straight away, but man do I wish I used them on Dakota sooner like I usually do!

Ah yes, that reminds me, I need to buy a few master seals so I can promote some of these guys this chapter.

Oh yeah, and I gave Dakota two talismans and a dracoshield to help compensate for the loss of her husband's defense boosts. Something tells me she'll be teaming up with Felicia a lot in the endgame, but for now...

Let's do this.

Alright, so, Dakota's pair-up partner is Gunter for now. I've managed to break into the upper room with minimal problems, But just like I remember, that's when things start getting a little frustrating. A bunch of ninja charging into a room, with very little space I can let them advance into to player-phase them from safety. I could retreat, but keeping Saizo alive is a big priority, and I can't have him get into too much combat with the enemies. A lot of people say that keeping him alive is a nightmare, but actually I found out a pretty fun and satisfying trick to keep him alive basically without fail.

Provided we get past this part.

Okay, so, we're gonna let these ninja advance a little. Just a tad. Then Dwyer, who stuck behind to use the first room's dragon vein, is gonna activate said vein and close the passageway into the upper room just as they arrive, letting us player-phase them without having to deal with any other enemies.

So, fun fact: being silenced will prevent you from using magic weapons like the levin sword according to the wiki... but if you have a magic weapon, that alone isn't enough for the enemy to realize they want you silenced. So if you're like wyvern rider Elise, and you rely on magic weapons for 1-2 range but can't actually use conventional magic, the silence rod users will apparently never use it on you.

Alright, so, awesome. We've got everything mostly set up. I've used both of the dragon veins in the starting location, waiting as long as I could to use each to make Saizo spend as much time as possible in this starting area and mostly isolated from enemies (though his chip damage and debuff immunity was kinda handy at times). Now that I've mostly dealt with that initial group of charging enemies, time to hatch my plan to make Saizo 100% safe from all enemies for the rest of the map.

Ah yes. The fucking puppets. Like I've said before, these things are freaky. These old Japanese clockwork automata things whose faces open up to reveal giant saws. And then they charge at you face first, their arms limply dangling at their sides like they're possessed ragdolls. It's so fucked up, and honestly, I think I love them.

Elise has 18 defense. It's kinda hilarious.

Nope, make that 19! She just leveled up and got more! I'm pretty sure she's blessed, but her defense stat is actually supposed to be pretty good when she spends the whole game in wyvern rider and malig knight as opposed to troubadour and strategist/maid.

Alright, the plan is almost complete. I just have to get these master ninja out of the way of that treasure room up there...

Right. So, basically, Saizo goes up north following the caltrops like a trail of bread crumbs (and just to be on the safe side to make sure he went to that one, I had Shura disarm the one to the east of the northern room), and sure enough, that means the closest caltrop after the one in the northwest corner of the map...

...involves going right. Through. The treasure room.

A single dragon vein use later, and...

SNAP!

Saizo has just successfully been imprisoned in the treasure room for his own safety. He will remain there for the entire rest of the map, until it's time to let him out, grab that treasure, and kill the boss.

Aaaaand the first unit to hit level 20 this map is... Mozu! I picked sniper because she really wants the superior bases and better skills before going into kinshi knight by endgame.

Okay, so, I do have some criticism for this map. It's really, really cramped, which can be annoying when you're using a lot of attack stance combat. Really limits the number of units you can get in range of the enemy. Still though, I'm finding it manageable.

Anyway, I've finally cleared out the charging enemies and their reinforcements. Wasn't actually too bad! Still got the rest of the map to take out, but that should be pretty straightforward.

And Effie just needs one more fight to get to level 20 and promote. And with any luck, she'll get enough support points here that she'll then be able to reclass into sniper immediately. I could've gotten this support done way sooner, but I unfortunately had other priorities that got in the way.

Aaaaaand there's another wave of linked AI reinforcements. I had to do some passing around to get Dakota over to the southern group, because they were seriously threatening any chance of player-phasing the original one.

Honestly, at this point, I'm finding the samurai more annoying than the ninja, mostly because of their high avoid and my low number of lances and shuriken. I do have a solution of sorts in the works for the very late game, but for now, we've got Effie and that's it.

Honestly, It's amazingly disappointing how lazy they were with reclass color schemes. Blue may be my favorite color, but when everyone's blue all the time, it can be really dumb. Seriously? Effie can promote to great knight with a damned master seal, and that wasn't worth putting in the effort to give her a pink set of armor as a great knight?

Well that was embarrassing. I spent several turns after letting Saizo out trying in vain to bait the enemies in the boss room, but they refused to come out. Now Saizo is right outside the throne room, and I suddenly have way, way less time to take out Kotaro than I thought I would, all because I was too lazy to go the long way around.

As a result, I did something... ridiculously ballsy. I put Odin, who Kotaro can one-round... right in front of Kotaro. That activated heartseeker, which allowed me to boost everyone's hit rate by 20 against this psychotic 80-avoid monster. That allows Mozu, currently paired up with Effie, to have a guaranteed attack of 24 damage against him. Elise is gonna go in to try for a kill. 64% chance that she and Mozu combined finish him off (Elise is the only one with a chance to miss between them, again), otherwise I've gotta do 5 more damage somewhere, which should be manageable.

Shit. Elise didn't get the kill. That would've gotten her to level 20 finally. As it stands she's a few exp off.

So Niles gets it instead, and he reaches level 20.

...Or not. Four exp shy. Damn it.

And we get a bunch more “shades of gray” waffling that starts to make me genuinely believe the writers actually thought they succeeded at writing a morally-gray story.

But we get the speedwing for keeping Saizo alive! Woo! Xander's gonna love this thing.

As for supports...

We get the B support with Gunter, perhaps unsurprisingly.

They have a little game of catch, and I like this, for what it's worth.

AND EFFIE AND MOZU HIT A RANK AT LAST!

Effie claims she can crush a tree trunk with one hand, and really, that's... uh... really?

I seem to remember hearing she was a rather quiet, feminine girl in the original, which matches up with her looks pretty well. It feels like the localization made a big mistake changing this to “female gym-bro”, because this constant discussion of her muscles and appetite might have been slightly more tolerable if it were at least in a massive contrast to her actual personality in a sort of “gentle giant” sort of way, like she has no idea her freakish strength is that unusual. That might actually potentially be funny.

Elise and Camilla talk about Elise's desire to be a curvy, mature woman, and Camilla actually gives some good advice about the “maturity” part at least. I do have to wonder how heavily this support was rewritten though, since given her actual age, “you're still a growing girl” would have undoubtedly come up. Here the game seems to be acting like she's already gone through puberty and it did jack shit for her.

Alright, Selena and Laslow hit support rank A. Great. Yeah, like I said, Selena apologizes for going overboard in her demonstration and winding up being even worse than him, and...

...Ugh. Seriously, this is the sort of stuff that should've happened more, actually opening up and talking about their history together. It's cool that we get it at all, but this should have been more of their conversation.

And now I've made Effie a sniper, so it's time to forge her a bow! And I know just the name for it... provided it fits.

...It fits, but I have to de-capitalize the last letter. Okay, say hello to the Chest expander!

61JkxAADSxL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Fitting, is it not?

Anyway, that's it for today. Tomorrow we'll do... I'm not sure what, but we'll see.

Stay safe, everyone!

Is this a chapter that has a big change between Hard and Lunatic? Because I remember it as a very routine and easy chapter, and had no problem keeping Saizo alive. Am I just weird yet again, or are the difficulties Lunatic-only?

10 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Is this a chapter that has a big change between Hard and Lunatic? Because I remember it as a very routine and easy chapter, and had no problem keeping Saizo alive. Am I just weird yet again, or are the difficulties Lunatic-only?

Far as I remember, it was not that bad imho. Though I tend to have a fair bit of green in the form of bows.

Edited by Shadow Mir

11 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Well every single master ninja has the poison strike and grisly wound combo, I noticed that, but other than numbers not much else jumped out at me. Most people hate it because it's full of ninja. Personally that's my favorite part of it, but soooooo many people seem to hate this map's guts.

15 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Though I tend to have a fair bit of green in the form of bows.

Niles and Nina?

@Alastor15243 Say, I was wondering, but quite some time ago you mentioned something about playlogging another game, I think in the context of your online rewards? Was there already a game chosen or did the thing just kinda go under? 

Just now, Imuabicus said:

@Alastor15243 Say, I was wondering, but quite some time ago you mentioned something about playlogging another game, I think in the context of your online rewards? Was there already a game chosen or did the thing just kinda go under? 

It became apparent I didn't have enough readers to make it happen realistically, though I will keep my word if it somehow happens.

13 minutes ago, Imuabicus said:

Niles and Nina?

Nina, definitely. Niles, not so much, given that the moment Nina is relevant, his usefulness is at an end. I tend to have a good deal of Bow Knights. And Anna.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

Keeping Saizo alive I found very difficult on lunatic. Because he guns striaght for the boss who can absolutely mop the floor with him. And you don't really have any options like rescue to dissuade Saizo from his course of action. Alastors dragon vein trick sounds quite effective though, but it seems even he had trouble with Saizo's suicidal tendencies forcing him to fight Kotaro sooner than intended. Using Malefic Aura is pretty smart. Saizo I think sucks as a boss because he's avoid is just so ridiculously high and even his speed means he can one shot a large portion of your army (and if you want to trade to a bulkier unit like Effie he can also swap out to a flame shuriken, which will reduce his avoid, but good luck finding someone in the right sweet spot that can convince him to use it without killing them). Though I think Freeze is considered a good strategy against him, as he's immobile anyway, but freeze also reduces avoid. You'll probably spend a few turns trying to hit him with the damn thing though, all the while Saizo will desperately be trying to kill himself.

Edited by Jotari

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Alastors dragon vein trick sounds quite effective though, but it seems even he had trouble with Saizo's suicidal tendencies forcing him to fight Kotaro sooner than intended.

Nah, that was on me. I let him out the same turn I was gonna bait out the master ninja in the throne room, but uh... they don't get baited. And it took me several turns to figure out that that wasn't because I was using someone whose defense was too high. It would've worked fine if I had killed those ninja before letting Saizo out.

14 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Nah, that was on me. I let him out the same turn I was gonna bait out the master ninja in the throne room, but uh... they don't get baited. And it took me several turns to figure out that that wasn't because I was using someone whose defense was too high. It would've worked fine if I had killed those ninja before letting Saizo out.

I'll be looking into how you did that if I ever play Conquest Lunatic again. Sounds likes a very effective way of dealing with a rather pesky problem.

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Kotaro I think sucks as a boss because he's avoid is just so ridiculously high and even his speed means he can one shot a large portion of your army (and if you want to trade to a bulkier unit like Effie he can also swap out to a flame shuriken, which will reduce his avoid, but good luck finding someone in the right sweet spot that can convince him to use it without killing them).

Worth mentioning that the Flame Shuriken also can´t crit. When thinking about the S-Weapon-Rank classes passive bonuses not the worst deal. That he has Duelist Blow and Trample is probably a bigger deal.

6 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I've got everyone mealed up and boosted by strength tonics. I won't make the same mistake this time that I did last, obviously. Actually, I just used the two goddess icons that I let Zoran convince me might be better off being sold. Yeah, easy for you to say when you can reset, Zoran, but over here in ironmanland luck has consequences! So glad I just hung onto them instead of selling them straight away, but man do I wish I used them on Dakota sooner like I usually do!

Ah yes, that reminds me, I need to buy a few master seals so I can promote some of these guys this chapter.

Oh yeah, and I gave Dakota two talismans and a dracoshield to help compensate for the loss of her husband's defense boosts. Something tells me she'll be teaming up with Felicia a lot in the endgame, but for now...

You were hoarding all of these stat boosters before???

Alright, so, Dakota's pair-up partner is Gunter for now. I've managed to break into the upper room with minimal problems, But just like I remember, that's when things start getting a little frustrating. A bunch of ninja charging into a room, with very little space I can let them advance into to player-phase them from safety. I could retreat, but keeping Saizo alive is a big priority, and I can't have him get into too much combat with the enemies. A lot of people say that keeping him alive is a nightmare, but actually I found out a pretty fun and satisfying trick to keep him alive basically without fail.

Its tough keeping him alive in Lunatic, even trapping him in the treasure room isn't perfectly safe...

Saizo has just successfully been imprisoned in the treasure room for his own safety. He will remain there for the entire rest of the map, until it's time to let him out, grab that treasure, and kill the boss.

as in the last Lunatic run I played the later northern reinforcement moved in a way that let Saizo attack one from range, which put him in range for the Sword Master reinforcements with range attacks start tearing into him, finishing him off...

As a result, I did something... ridiculously ballsy. I put Odin, who Kotaro can one-round... right in front of Kotaro.

As long as you have a shelterer who can live a hit, that should be fine (if you have two shelterers and enough actions you can pull him and the other shelterer out even without a dancer...)

9 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

as in the last Lunatic run I played the later northern reinforcement moved in a way that let Saizo attack one from range, which put him in range for the Sword Master reinforcements with range attacks start tearing into him, finishing him off...

I literally can't visualize how that happened. The only enemies who were ever in any danger of stopping in his range so he'd put himself in over-the-wall attacking range were the first northern reinforcements, the mechanists and puppets, who I killed on enemy phase so he wouldn't have the chance. The second wave was not only headed in the opposite direction from Saizo, but the way towards Saizo was blocked by caltrops as well, meaning they'd have to be pretty determinedly moving away from my army for that to have ever happened. Can you explain in more detail?

12 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

You were hoarding all of these stat boosters before???

I have a terrible habit of feeling it's too early to tell who needs them early on. I kinda just let them pile up and use them all at once in the mid-to-late game. Except the goddess icons. Usually I use those on Dakota right away.

4 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I literally can't visualize how that happened. The only enemies who were ever in any danger of stopping in his range so he'd put himself in over-the-wall attacking range were the first northern reinforcements, the mechanists and puppets, who I killed on enemy phase so he wouldn't have the chance. The second wave was not only headed in the opposite direction from Saizo, but the way towards Saizo was blocked by caltrops as well, meaning they'd have to be pretty determinedly moving away from my army for that to have ever happened. Can you explain in more detail?

Cm_fe14c_17_l_dv.png

Not sure if this image helps, but Saizo could go where that red dot is in the blocked off treasure room to attack one that moved where that other red dot across the corner, as one of the five swordsmen enemies spawn in that exit to the north had moved to that location. I think I had someone move close enough to distract them for a turn or two while I dealt with the far more dangerous enemies that spawn to the east, which made them clump up as the higher movement enemies tried to attack instead of using their full movement, clogging up space for the slower ones...

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Not sure if this image helps, but Saizo could go where that red dot is in the blocked off treasure room to attack one that moved where that other red dot across the corner, as one of the five swordsmen enemies spawn in that exit to the north had moved to that location. I think I had someone move close enough to distract them for a turn or two while I dealt with the far more dangerous enemies that spawn to the east, which made them clump up as the higher movement enemies tried to attack instead of using their full movement, clogging up space for the slower ones...

Oh wait, do you mean the two master ninja in and immediately outside that room? I had them both killed before he walked in.

Edited by Alastor15243

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Oh wait, do you mean the two master ninja in and immediately outside that room? I had them both killed before he walked in.

Naw, it was the sword wielding reinforcements, the two Sword Masters have wakizashi to use at range, and with a quick draw dual sword attack stance partner as well...

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Naw, it was the sword wielding reinforcements, the two Sword Masters have wakizashi to use at range, and with a quick draw dual sword attack stance partner as well...

But why did they move into Saizo's range? There's nothing in that direction for them to path towards if Saizo wasn't already touching one of the walls.