Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

8 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yep! Just like books 1 and 2 of Mystery. They'll share certain rankings with each other like those books did, but they're each separate games in their own right with radically different gameplay and design philosophies, and I can't call this project complete without doing all three.

Yet not Three Houses. Looks like Fates bias confirmed!

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Kashmir would be the accurate name I imagine, a territory in South Asia in-dispute between India, Pakistan, and China. If ICBMs were to start flying one day, it's on the short list for being the culprit.

You must be having a lot of fun to fly through the game this fast. You could easily finish it this week if you keep it up with multiple entries.

Are you considering 24x? Perhaps using the "kill Tiki with the Falchion in C24" trick? I don't think you'd be the kind of person to warpskip C25 via a "Warp MedeusBodyguardSlayer, Warp & Suicide Tiki, Aum Tiki, Warp Tiki to Win".

I find this to be the best part of Shadow Dragon, but usually somewhere just after the Camus map some kind of fatigue sets in and I just warp skip the following chapters. I was pretty amused to see this is exactly about the same time Alastor started warp skipping the rest of the game on his FE1 playthrough.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

It wound up not being as bad as I initially thought it would be for various reasons, but then I had a general. Not sure how it would've gone without general Wolf.

I've never actually had an issue with the wooden cavalry. In fact I'd go so far as to say I like it as a chapter. If Shadow Dragon didn't have it's massively convenient map danger highlighting feature then it'd probably be hell, but with it it instead becomes a map that you just have to be careful with your positioning. In fact I was rather disappointed when I went back to FE1 and saw shooters only had two range. In that game it's a really boring map with basically no terrain to speak of, just three long corridors to walk down. I never questioned at all the possibility that it was ever a map designed without the long range gimmick in mind.

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

And since it would be insanely embarrassing to forget Bantu, I double-checked I selected him, and then I stared at him on the map for about ten seconds to make absolutely sure that I brought him. Amusingly, he still has nearly the highest attack stat in the army with that dragonstone of his.

Huh. Really. Wow I wonder if Bantu is really as bad as people give him credit for in Shadow Dragon. Obviously he has basic non existent growths but if atk is really that unparalleled for such a large chunk of the game then maybe he's worth using. I confess I never have, but maybe that's because this game inexplicably hides Dragon Stone bonuses. Perhaps if you could see how powerful his stats are people would be inclined to be kinder to him. He's obviously not going to be great with zero growth potential and a single weapon (when do you get the second fire stone? In like the second last chapter?), but maybe be has some value that justifies his existence beyond one conversation with Tiki.

9 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yeah, can't say for sure since I didn't try. Maybe I should have, but I had the resources and this is an ironman, so it felt foolish not to.

Fear not! I am currently doing an SD run, (On H4, not 5, though.) basically using exclusively bad units! Case in point:

WVyvT3V.pngsuDVLpN.png

So, once I get that far, I can say how absolutely awful it is.

3 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

That's because Three Houses has two routes with four different lines of dialogue.

2 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

To answer this obviously facetious comment for the sake of those who are new here, the reason is because Three Houses routes don't have radically different game design philosophies like Fates "routes" do. Also people have practically begged me not to playlog White Clouds more than once.

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

I would imagine having to play through the first half of the game repeatedly would be pretty boring, seeing as except for one route, the chapters are more-or-less the same (and even in the one exception, the one chapter that differs is the last pre-timeskip chapter).

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Fear not! I am currently doing an SD run, (On H4, not 5, though.) basically using exclusively bad units! Case in point:

WVyvT3V.pngsuDVLpN.png

So, once I get that far, I can say how absolutely awful it is.

I'd appreciate hearing about that!

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I've never actually had an issue with the wooden cavalry. In fact I'd go so far as to say I like it as a chapter. If Shadow Dragon didn't have it's massively convenient map danger highlighting feature then it'd probably be hell, but with it it instead becomes a map that you just have to be careful with your positioning. In fact I was rather disappointed when I went back to FE1 and saw shooters only had two range. In that game it's a really boring map with basically no terrain to speak of, just three long corridors to walk down. I never questioned at all the possibility that it was ever a map designed without the long range gimmick in mind.

Yeah, I was equally surprised to learn that, and nothing felt off about Wooden Cavalry at the time when I was in high school, but then, I wasn't playing hard mode then.

45 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Huh. Really. Wow I wonder if Bantu is really as bad as people give him credit for in Shadow Dragon. Obviously he has basic non existent growths but if atk is really that unparalleled for such a large chunk of the game then maybe he's worth using. I confess I never have, but maybe that's because this game inexplicably hides Dragon Stone bonuses. Perhaps if you could see how powerful his stats are people would be inclined to be kinder to him. He's obviously not going to be great with zero growth potential and a single weapon (when do you get the second fire stone? In like the second last chapter?), but maybe be has some value that justifies his existence beyond one conversation with Tiki.

IIRC, the second firestone is in the retaking Altea chapter. Also, one issue Bantu has is that for whatever reason, manaketes' dragonstone charges are used up after every battle. 

45 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'll grant, most of the enemies being immobile helps, but that's meaningless when you inevitably have to expose yourself to being fired on by others to attack one. In a game where you cannot rely on dodging. It's so bad, I feel it actively encourages warpskipping.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

At the same time, you admittedly were using a broken unit. I'd imagine it wouldn't have been so smooth if Wolf wasn't a general. Which leads me to say, if I have to use a broken unit to make it tolerable, that's a sure sign it's poorly designed.

I would argue that the fact that you "have" to use him makes him not broken. It means the game was designed in such a way that the resources you have been given allow you to have an easier time overcoming these challenges. It's hardly breaking the game to use someone with good durability to take a lot of ballista hits, so why is Wolf broken? Is it because his stats are really good? Plenty of units have good stats without being broken, and in better classes no less. Shadow Dragon isn't a game where you can have one or even two units do everything, but units like him and Sedgar just make it a lot more manageable.

15 minutes ago, Stones said:

I would argue that the fact that you "have" to use him makes him not broken. It means the game was designed in such a way that the resources you have been given allow you to have an easier time overcoming these challenges. It's hardly breaking the game to use someone with good durability to take a lot of ballista hits, so why is Wolf broken? Is it because his stats are really good? Plenty of units have good stats without being broken, and in better classes no less. Shadow Dragon isn't a game where you can have one or even two units do everything, but units like him and Sedgar just make it a lot more manageable.

Take a look at Wolf and Sedgar's growths. Then look at everyone else. THEN look back at those two. Yeah... most of the best units in this game have good growths in about 3 stats at most. Wolf and Sedgar both have growths that allow them to be good in literally any class in their tree except Sorcerer.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Having the highest Atk isn't enough if you get ORKO'ed by everything and can't OHKO anything to prevent being ORKO'ed. Does Bantu's 25 Atk (2 Str, +8 Str from Firestone, 15 Mt from Firestone) OHKO anything? I can't see that being the case, it'd sound iffy even if he negated enemy Def, which he doesn't. 20 HP and 12 Def sounds way too fragile. I miss FE3 Manaketes.

And, the second Firestone is Chapter 17 actually, not too late.

39 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Take a look at Wolf and Sedgar's growths. Then look at everyone else. THEN look back at those two. Yeah... most of the best units in this game have good growths in about 3 stats at most. Wolf and Sedgar both have growths that allow them to be good in literally any class in their tree except Sorcerer.

Yes obviously their stats are excellent and easily surpass everyone else’s despite their poor start. But I don’t consider having high stats to be exceptionally broken in Shadow Dragon when one-rounding is either close to impossible or very easy, mostly depending on your weapon rank. The fact that they can ORKO with irons/javelins/whatever is great but to me that doesn’t qualify as broken. Also, just to clarify, when I mentioned other units being even better than Wolf and Sedgar I was talking about units in other games, not Shadow Dragon (so like Sigurd or Seth who basically warp the game around them).

8 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

IIRC, the second firestone is in the retaking Altea chapter. Also, one issue Bantu has is that for whatever reason, manaketes' dragonstone charges are used up after every battle. 

I'll grant, most of the enemies being immobile helps, but that's meaningless when you inevitably have to expose yourself to being fired on by others to attack one. In a game where you cannot rely on dodging. It's so bad, I feel it actively encourages warpskipping.

Then don't dodge tank. Actually tank. Use a generals. They're actually pretty good in this game. It's not just Wolf.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Having the highest Atk isn't enough if you get ORKO'ed by everything and can't OHKO anything to prevent being ORKO'ed. Does Bantu's 25 Atk (2 Str, +8 Str from Firestone, 15 Mt from Firestone) OHKO anything? I can't see that being the case, it'd sound iffy even if he negated enemy Def, which he doesn't. 20 HP and 12 Def sounds way too fragile. I miss FE3 Manaketes.

And, the second Firestone is Chapter 17 actually, not too late.

Oh wow, didn't realize he was that flimsy. It's a bit ironic considering he was nigh on indestructible in the first game. If they had kept him with high defenses that would have been a good use for him. A very strong attack and defense, but poor speed leading him to get doubled and now way to compensate for default 1 range. So basically Bord only Defence based instead of HP based.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Then don't dodge tank. Actually tank. Use a generals. They're actually pretty good in this game. It's not just Wolf.

Do you earnestly think that Alastor would have had as easy a time with that hellhole of a chapter if he was using anyone as a General BESIDES Wolf?  Because I seriously doubt it, to say the least.

12 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Do you earnestly think that Alastor would have had as easy a time with that hellhole of a chapter if he was using anyone as a General BESIDES Wolf?  Because I seriously doubt it, to say the least.

Honestly I didn't wind up needing Wolf all that much. Beck's thunderbolt let me clear out enough ballisticians to free the way to Astram after my fliers-turned-cavalry took out the northern ones. If I warped Jake in too they could kill two a turn. So yeah, it definitely would've been tricky, but I'd hardly say I needed someone like Wolf to do it reliably.

Edited by Alastor15243

3 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Honestly I didn't wind up needing Wolf all that much. Beck's thunderbolt let me clear out enough ballisticians to free the way to Astram after my fliers-turned-cavalry took out the northern ones. If I warped Jake in too they could kill two a turn. So yeah, it definitely would've been tricky, but I'd hardly say I needed someone like Wolf to do it reliably.

I can only assume they had low enough HP to one hit with Thunderbolt, then (somewhere less than or equal to 30). 

51 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

While nobody will reach Wolf's levels of tankiness, many can be quite capable as a Knight/General due to the class' defense. (Castor and Daros on H4 were taking 0 damage from enemy Horsemen, and I'm pretty sure that Ogma would do quite well too)You don't have to take 0 damage to be a good tank, really. Vulneraries and physic staves both can keep you topped up. But I shall find out for myself soon!

Shadow Dragon Day 16: Chapter 20

Alright, so I've worked it out. If I do two chapters a day, I'll have the final chapter ready to go on Friday. Assuming I go for 24x, which I intend to. So that's the plan right now. Two chapters a day. No problem at all!

Also, I got the wifi stuff set up yesterday after my playlog was over! But due to date-sensitive item availability, I'll have to wait until tomorrow if I want an elysian whip.

...Or I could cheat and see if changing my game's clock manages to fool an online mode somehow, but hey, if the game wanted to lock the items behind time-sensitive bullshit? I say we should feel at least a bit of the consequences for it.

I also missed the opportunity to get brave weapons. I needed to do that on Saturday. Curse my sluggishness and assumption it would be far more work than it actually was.

Alright, so, we're at the big epic showdown with Camus the Sable. I still can't get over the revelation that his name is apparently pronounced “Camoo”. Honestly, Camus and Sirius just fit more together if you pronounce Camus like it sounds.

Whatevs. Since we're so close to getting Hammerne (and also since we have the starsphere), I decided to break the bank a tad and use some of my newfound fortune to forge up Jake's 7 use thunderbolt, giving it 16 might and 100 hit, which should be enough to reliably obliterate every ballistician for the rest of the game. I notice that the standard version doesn't cut it anymore with the new enemy ballistician HP, but as long as we don't get any ballisticians with more than 48 HP, we should be safe.

And yeah, there are a lot of ballisticians on this map. They were there before, but weirdly, yeah, their 10 range versions feel a lot more natural with this setup than simply being tanky bow users. It's weird how natural such a radical alteration to unit mechanics wound up being.

Anyway, I decided to discontinue Wendell and have Cain and Abel step up as dracoknights to replace him and Est. Counting Palla and Catria, I now have 6 fliers. And tomorrow, I'll have them both promoted, one of them to...

...Wow.

Wow, are those really the falcoknight promotion gains? No speed or skill boost? I'm literally just trading 2 strength and 3 defense for 5 resistance.

...Fuck it, that ain't worth it. Okay, I'll do it for one of them for novelty's sake, just to see what it's like, but christ is that a letdown.

Also, I've got a shitton of stat boosters. An energy drop, two spirit dusts, a secret book, three speedwings, a goddess icon, two dracoshields, a talisman, a seraph robe and an arms scroll. The seraph robe is going on Caeda, as I said way back when I gave the first to Marth. The rest... well the spirit dust is going on Merric, definitely. As for the others...

...I could give the rest to practically anyone and it would instantly make them a badass who's more than a match for the enemies of this chapter (though probably not a lot of them at once).

...Screw it, I wanna leave my options open for how to tackle Medeus. I'm gonna use the energy drop and the speedwings and dracoshields on Marth, give him the rapiers I've been buying at every opportunity just because, and see how many levels I can funnel into his and Tiki's underleveled asses on this map by killing these paladins and generals.

Alright, I've sorted out our inventories.

Let's begin.

So, some standard pre-battle music starts playing when Marth talks to Nyna, but then it abruptly stops. Is that a glitch? Or was it supposed to have a dramatic effect that was spoiled by my instinct to press A whenever text is loading to reveal it all at once?

So yeah, this is where it's revealed that Nyna's developed Stockholm-syndrome-esque feelings for Camus. Can't really say this is remotely well-developed. It's barely gotten any more development or foreshadowing than the original (though I did notice it got a little).

Okay, we're starting, we've taken out the first ballistae, and...

...Helloooo... Xane and Tiki have a talk?

...Okay, this is Xane just being a dickhead by imitating her and acting like a child repeating everything she says, before making smalltalk. Not much of note.

And for that I lost my opportunity to copy Caeda in a timely fashion, and the paladins are charging. Looks like I'll have to have him copy Wolf and use the iron axe he carries to use as Caeda.

Anyway, my air force is flying southwest over the water in order to take out the ballistician over there by flying into his blind spot, and make sure we can secure the village before the thief arrives.

Marth and Tiki have been doing a great job taking out the paladins. They each got one of the two, and got pretty great level ups. Marth gets basically everything realistic and of value except strength, and Tiki yet again gets everything but magic and res. She only has a defense growth of 20%, so that's... really impressive. Her other growths are pretty high though.

Tiki's speed is rising fast enough that just one more level will stop these paladins from doubling her. After that... oh it only gets better from there.

Wolf is level 17 now, and he once again got everything but magic, res and luck. I gave him the goddess icon, incidentally, since luck is easily his worst stat (even though it's still pretty okay) and I wanna keep him as safe as possible.

I'm actually getting pretty nervous here. These promoted enemies armed to the teeth with silver weapons could very easily kill even Wolf if I'm not careful about where I place him. Especially depending on when those fort reinforcements show up.

Shit. I was hoping Tiki would keep up the streak and finally reach “can't be doubled” thresholds, but she went and failed to proc her 80% chance. Thankfully she did at least proc her 20% defense growth again.

Alright, Operation “Fly Southwest for the Winter” was a resounding success. The southwest ballistician is down thanks to a joint effort from Cain and Caeda, and all but one of the southern forts has been blocked off. The remaining one will be blocked shortly. We no longer need to fear a pincer attack from both sides. Now we only have the northern forts to worry about, which is all we need to funnel player phase exp into Marth and Tiki.

Alright, reinforcements have started coming from scattered forts. Nothing I can't handle. The main paladin reinforcements haven't arrived yet.

Hammerne has 12 fucking uses. I totally forgot how ridiculous it was.

I am gonna have a field day with this fucking thing.

...Fuck.

I lost Cain.

A horseman came out of nowhere from a northern fort and one-shot him with a silver bow.

Damn it. He would've survived if he had two more bulk. Or if I hadn't reclassed him.

This complicates matters. I can't hold those southwestern forts anymore, and I have no idea what reinforcements are waiting to come out the second I take my remaining fliers off of the forts they're on. Meaning that roughly half of my army are sitting ducks.

Nothing else for it. I've gotta charge northwest, get my army safely out of the way of those southern forts, and then have my fliers flee out towards the ocean.

As my main footsoldier army passes by the forts during the evacuation, I take the opportunity to have them help swap which forts the Whitewings and my dracoknights are watching, because the one's they're currently on are too far inland for them to safely fly out of range of Schrodinger's Horseman when it's finally time to flee.

Hardin got a strength and speed etcetera level in Cain's honor when counter-attacking his killer, and Tiki finally gains enough speed to resist being doubled by these 15 speed enemies by finishing him off.

Yeah, I don't think the ambush spawns on this map were very well-designed. There's no clear, concrete “go this way” progression to the map, so there's no real way to spawn ambush reinforcements without there being a massive risk of units being in range. And due to how much of a power jump this is? Yeah, dealing with this is not fun.

I've got all of my units huddled on the tiny western island, waiting in terror for reinforcements that aren't showing up.

...Oh shit.

I just triggered the Marth and Camus talk.

I think those northern reinforcements are going to start coming.

Through the mountains.

At our terrified, barely-mobile asses.

...Nope, that still hasn't happened yet for some reason.

No time for theatrics. I take Camus out by softening him up with a hoistflamme attack from Jake, then one-shotting him with the Win Spear. I'm not letting this fucker get anywhere near Tiki.

Man, I really like Caeda's talk with Lorenz here. Talking about how betraying the king is the patriotic thing to do because the king is allying with people who intend to eventually destroy the country... I wonder how Camus would react to that logic.

Actually, that kind of makes Camus's refusal to be recruited even more dumb, that they have someone right next to him, with similar beliefs, convinced to join our side anyway, with an argument that Camus wasn't allowed to hear.

Alright, I'm finishing this map here. There are two more enemies I could probably squeeze some more levels for Tiki and Marth from, but... no way, not with those fort reinforcements unaccounted for.

Ah yes, so the curse of the emblem is here called “Artemis's Curse”. They don't go into details about what specifically happened, but maybe FE12 will? It sounds like they changed a bit about how the curse happened or what the curse allegedly was, and since I had issues with how they described the “curse” before, maybe this is a hint that the new version will be more to my satisfaction.

...Okay, moving on.

Day 16 Bonus: Chapter 21

Right, this map. This is the first map where I first started saying “Fuck it” and warp skipped that shit. I'm still prepared to do that as a panic button if this gets crazy, but I intend to train Marth and Tiki as much as I can, since it's going so well.

Anyway, this probably raises a question:

Are you going to use the Aum staff to revive Cain?”

No. No I am not. I consider the extra chapter to be more worth it, especially since I'm keeping the Starsphere.

Incidentally, I noticed I still have Samson as a general, and it turns out that Lorenz has objectively worse bases than Samson in everything but HP. Lorenz does have the weapon rank advantage, obviously, but really, that's kinda sad.

Yeah, this map is looking pretty scary, but thankfully the reinforcements are all in one place. We'll ride this out for as long as we can, and then warp skip this shit if the answer isn't “completely”.

I've bought Wendell back, along with Boah, as staff bots for warping and healing. Felt like the most useful thing to do with those slots.

Alright, let's go.

Man, this talk with Minerva is great. I love how determined she is to do her duty, and make sure that “When Macedon went astray, it was a Macedonian who set things right”.

Ooooh, they're not coming in all at once, but they are definitely coming. Tiki's reached a point where she's tanky enough to enemy phase a bit, which definitely broadens our options here.

Okay, we seem to have weathered the initial wave, and fed nearly all of the kills into Tiki and Marth.

And now we've triggered the ambush spawns.

Man, as far as “flatland maps” go, I'm actually really digging this one! Working out how to optimally player-phase this stuff is actually pretty interesting!

Alright, Catria just hit level 15. She's gonna promote, and she's going to instantly become my new best flier, with 29 HP, 16 strength, 16 skill, 20 speed, 13 luck, 18 defense, and 4 res.

...Hey...

...It just occurred to me...

...Why aren't wyrmslayers effective against dracoknights?

Aren't their mounts supposed to be degenerated dragons?

...Okay, so, we're down to the wire. More reinforcements have rushed us, and we're getting to the point where we'll have basically no warning if more spawn. I've calculated that Tiki can survive the enemy phase by jumping straight in, as long as a dragonpike dracoknight doesn't spawn from the fort 11 spaces north of her. I had to send her in if I wanted to continue without warp-skipping, because one of the dracoknights was getting really close to my more vulnerable soldiers. If she dies, well, I was gonna kill her off anyway temporarily, so it's not a huge gamble for my endgame plans. And besides, this'll net her some good exp in the more likely event that she survives, and I can physic her back to health from far away or just warp-finish the second it looks like things won't go right in the long term.

She survived just fine, and killed two dracoknights. Unfortunately, the turn after that I didn't realize that moving Marth a bit altered the movement ranges of some cavs, and a silver lance cavalier one-shot Boah. He was a filler unit, so that's no huge loss, except that it means we won't have the warp staff I gave him until next map. We have two others, all within our army's access, so that shouldn't mean game over. Yet.

Plus side, Marth has shaped up to be a total badass thanks to his stat boosts and paladin training. He's got 16 strength and defense and 21 speed most notably.

Shit, more dracoknight reinforcements came just as I was preparing to attack the boss normally. Thankfully Tiki's at the point that a dragonpike surprise attack barely even threatens her without a bunch of extra help.

...But yeah, this is reaching the point where we're really pushing our luck, so I'm gonna just rush the boss now.

And we just got our next master seal from the boss, meaning that I lost basically nothing by waiting to make Palla a falcoknight for the hell of it. I couldn't promote her before now anyway. But man, Palla is probably gonna be my worst flier, after Minerva. She's barely faster than Abel, and her defense and strength just aren't that great. She's barely gained much of value since her base stats. Meanwhile Catria turned out amazing.

Alright, we've seized. And now Gotoh's about to tell us that he's nearby I bet, and we're going to completely ignore him.

So tomorrow's gonna be interesting. We're gonna make Palla a falcoknight, fight Michalis, ignore the call of Starlight, finally get some more arrowspate for Jake just as he started running out, and beat Chapter 23 without getting Falchion!

...Honestly, I'm not too torn up that Cain died. The massive spike in enemy quality tells me he was never really going to escape that chip damage rut he was in. Honestly, the real big players here are Marth (obviously), Tiki (though her death is acceptable until we revive her in Chapter 24x), Merric, Lena, Caeda, Catria, Wolf, Xane and Barst. I think that's all of my crucial units. The others are just filler to do chip damage when necessary.

Well then, see you tomorrow.

Stay safe, everyone.

Stay safer than Boah and Cain.

So yeah, this is where it's revealed that Nyna's developed Stockholm-syndrome-esque feelings for Camus. Can't really say this is remotely well-developed. It's barely gotten any more development or foreshadowing than the original (though I did notice it got a little).

You see a little more of it in the first and fourth Sattellaview maps, which New Mystery include remakes of.

No time for theatrics. I take Camus out by softening him up with a hoistflamme attack from Jake, then one-shotting him with the Win Spear. I'm not letting this fucker get anywhere near Tiki.

You might want to look at the slight change in dialogue that occurs if don't kill Camus before ending the map.

So tomorrow's gonna be interesting. We're gonna make Palla a falcoknight, fight Michalis, ignore the call of Starlight, finally get some more arrowspate for Jake just as he started running out, and beat Chapter 23 without getting Falchion!

Are you going to try for any of Michalis's boss convos? Minerva's in certainly the most interesting, but that might be a bit suicidal at this point (although not as suicidal as trying for the Maria convo), although the whitewing one is probably safe to get with your team.

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Are you going to try for any of Michalis's boss convos? Minerva's in certainly the most interesting, but that might be a bit suicidal at this point (although not as suicidal as trying for the Maria convo), although the whitewing one is probably safe to get with your team.

I won't do anything stupid, but if I have the opportunity I will try.

Wow, are those really the falcoknight promotion gains? No speed or skill boost? I'm literally just trading 2 strength and 3 defense for 5 resistance.

...Fuck it, that ain't worth it. Okay, I'll do it for one of them for novelty's sake, just to see what it's like, but christ is that a letdown.

FYI, the Falco Spd cap is 26. If you do Lunatic in FE12, that failure to reach 27 might be fatal in the very last chapters. Not entirely sure of it or how many enemies hit 30, but a Swordmaster reclass could save the dame.

..It just occurred to me...

...Why aren't wyrmslayers effective against dracoknights?

Aren't their mounts supposed to be degenerated dragons?

IIRC, FE3 Wyrmslayers are effective on Dracoknights, and that was definitely true in FE1. This is true in FE6, and also true of the Divine Weapons there (but not the BB?). The Wyrmslayer's appearance in FE7 exists entirely to hurt Wyvern Riders, not sure if it is effective on the Fire Dragon. FE8 has its anti-dragon weapons work on both Wyverns and Draco Zombies. And FE10's Wyrmslayer is effective on Dragon Laguz and Dracoknights alike. And we can't forget that Chrom's sealed Falchion is a great early anti-Wyvern weapon that once unsealed becomes anti-Grimmy too.

In other words, blame the unfaithful remake.😛

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

On 10/20/2020 at 10:26 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

This is the highest point of Marth's writing, although Nyna's got a few great lines coming tomorrow, and Michalis is one of the only bosses with boss quotes with people you would expect.

I'm pretty sure he only uses 1 per playthrough though 😕 Battle convos do suck in Shadow Dragon. Hell battle convos have been fairly terrible since Radiant Dawn. Though they were okay in Three Houses I guess.

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...Helloooo... Xane and Tiki have a talk?

...Okay, this is Xane just being a dickhead by imitating her and acting like a child repeating everything she says, before making smalltalk. Not much of note.

But it's book 2 stuff! They're actually acknowledging the lore of the sequel for like the first time all game.

While we're here at this chapter. Man oh man. Yubello and Yumina. What a colossal mist opportunity to not reference these guys at all in Shadow Dragon. They're a pretty goddamn massive retcon to the entire actions of Grust. Give us at least a single lion acknowledging they exist (though an actual Gaiden where you rescue them with Wendell and Ogma would be most preferred).

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

FYI, the Falco Spd cap is 26. If you do Lunatic in FE12, that failure to reach 27 might be fatal in the very last chapters. Not entirely sure of it or how many enemies hit 30, but a Swordmaster reclass could save the dame.

IIRC, FE3 Wyrmslayers are effective on Dracoknights, and it was definitely the same in FE1. This is true in FE6, and also true of the Divine Weapons there (but not the BB?). The Wyrmslayer's appearance in FE7 exists entirely to hurt Wyvern Riders more, not sure if it is effective on the Fire Dragon. FE8 has its anti-dragon weapons work on both Wyverns and Draco Zombies. And FE10's Wyrmslayer is effective on Dragon Laguz and Dracoknights alike. And we can't forget that Chrom's sealed Falchion is a great early anti-Wyvern weapon that once unsealed becomes anti-Grimmy too.

In other words, blame the unfaithful remake.😛

This might be an intentional retcon. Because later in New Mystery they do go out of their way to make the Wyvern enemies look distinct from the mounts of Wyvern Knights.

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

While we're here at this chapter. Man oh man. Yubello and Yumina. What a colossal mist opportunity to not reference these guys at all in Shadow Dragon. They're a pretty goddamn massive retcon to the entire actions of Grust. Give us at least a single lion acknowledging they exist (though an actual Gaiden where you rescue them with Wendell and Ogma would be most preferred).

Not to mention FE3 says they're were being held in Khadein under Gharnef's watch. You liberated Khadein a while ago. The heirs to Grust are safe and sound, Camus, sure you might still be loyal to the current king, who must be in very ill health and doesn't have a long and stable life left if a military defeat passively kills him, can't you loose your shackles if know there's an heir then?

-Although they could retcon the twins to Thabes. Yumina should be as valuable as Elice, considering she can use Aum the same.

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

This might be an intentional retcon. Because later in New Mystery they do go out of their way to make the Wyvern enemies look distinct from the mounts of Wyvern Knights.

True. Could they state it, not just leave us to imagine, in one game, any FE, that wyverns are merely evolution cousins or coincidental not-very-related lookalikes to real dragons/dragon humanoids? I want this set in stone.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

34 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

True. Could they state it, not just leave us to imagine, in one game, any FE, that wyverns are merely evolution cousins or coincidental not-very-related lookalikes to real dragons/dragon humanoids? I want this set in stone.

It is left frustratingly ambigious.

34 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-Although they could retcon the twins to Thabes. Yumina should be as valuable as Elice, considering she can use Aum the same.

Huh. You're right. She should have been kept in basically the exact same room as Elice. Shadow Dragon has a tonne of missed opertunities for not expounding on the retcons of it's sequel, but this and not developing Hardin at all are the takers.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The big thing is that Medeus himself has 30 speed, and a 60 attack on Lunatic, so its impossible to survive a round in combat without hitting 27 speed to prevent him from doubling. Swordmaster is the most famous thanks to their amazing speed bases and growths (not to mention a forged Levin Sword being the safest way of dealing magic damage to him), but Berserker, Sniper, Horsemen, Marth w/ the Shield of Seals and Thieves (although its unlikely you are using one for actual combat, its interesting that Julian can reach the speed benchmark for survival) have the caps to reach that 27 speed threshold of survival. Also of note if you reclass one of the Pegasisters into a sage (and have sufficiently good Magic, Defense and HP stats) you can take advantage of triangle attacks to make a Noseratu hit safe on Lunatic reverse (and only Lunatic reverse, as triangle attacks only trigger on player phase). Finally it is a shame that the lack of warp on Lunatic prevents you from reaching the dragon stone secret shop, as otherwise the speed buff of the Wyvern stone would make a Manakete a viable option against Lunatic Medeus. I will also note that the Again staves are also utterly vital for that map, and that training at least one of the two triangle attacks for endgame is a good idea.

FFE12 Lunatic is the game and difficulty that really drills into you that class change is not optional, and this final speed benchmark is the capstone of that.