Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

This is fucking ridiculous.

Not only will the enemies not aggro until approached, but if you aggro them and then leave their attack range... they stop chasing you.

They do literally nothing unless somebody's directly in their attacking range, no matter the circumstances!

So, uh... Sacred Stones chapter 5x, except shorter and even easier? That one at least has a handful of enemies that charge at you, but once those have been dealt with, the "pull one enemy at a time" strat makes the map completely trivial (and boring).

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ping said:

So, uh... Sacred Stones chapter 5x, except shorter and even easier? That one at least has a handful of enemies that charge at you, but once those have been dealt with, the "pull one enemy at a time" strat makes the map completely trivial (and boring).

A ton of Sacred Stones' early game has this exact same problem, actually. Not just that one. It's kind of ridiculous. And New Mystery Book 2 as well, that's all over the place.

Edited by Alastor15243

2 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

In all fairness to FEH, the game doesn't feel like it's meant to be taken seriously. It's definitely fanservice first with some sad attempts at a serious story. Fates tried to take itself seriously, to the point of marketing how much better than Awakening its story was going to be, but just couldn't resist giving into fanservice in inappropriate places.

I mean if you wanna talk about poorly placed fanservice I’m just gonna say Fates is relatively tame compared to a lot of other anime/manga out there and I don’t just mean stuff in the ecchi genre that only air past midnight. I mean just look at Fairy tail which is a shounen manga. Which has shit like this.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/950156/7

https://mangadex.org/chapter/950158/16

This is supposed to be a gruesome torture scene btw. not trying to defend Fates here cause the way it handles fan service can be a little out of place at times but I’m just saying it could be much worse.

7 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I mean if you wanna talk about poorly placed fanservice I’m just gonna say Fates is relatively tame compared to a lot of other anime/manga out there and I don’t just mean stuff in the ecchi genre that only air past midnight. I mean just look at Fairy tail which is a shounen manga. Which has shit like this.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/950156/7

https://mangadex.org/chapter/950158/16

This is supposed to be a gruesome torture scene btw. not trying to defend Fates here cause the way it handles fan service can be a little out of place at times but I’m just saying it could be much worse.

I mean yeah but a worse wrong in another work doesn't excuse the same wrong in another thing.

If it's bad enough that I have to explain to a friend who's only FE games were Awakening and Fates that Sexual stuff isn't actually a big part of FE, it's probably bad.

Edited by Samz707

8 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

I mean yeah but a worse wrong in another work doesn't excuse the same wrong in another thing.

If it's bad enough that I have to explain to a friend who's only FE games were Awakening and Fates that Sexual stuff isn't actually a big part of FE, it's probably bad.

Dude if you think the fan service in fates and awakening is egregious in that way then I don’t know what to tell you. I’m not saying you shouldn’t be put off by it cause if it makes you uncomfortable then whatever you do you. I’m just saying it’s not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

4 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Dude if you think the fan service in fates and awakening is egregious in that way then I don’t know what to tell you. I’m not saying you shouldn’t be put off by it cause if it makes you uncomfortable then whatever you do you. I’m just saying it’s not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

It doesn't make me super uncomfortable (Aside from Nowi) but it's out of place and comes across as desperate pandering to perverts.

When I'm playing a perma-death strategy game, fan-service is kinda out of place.

Edited by Samz707

1 minute ago, Samz707 said:

It doesn't make me super uncomfortable (Aside from Nowi) but it's out of place and comes across as desperate pandering to certain groups.

The only time it’s really out of place is the cutscene of Camilla from chapter 13 of birthright. Every other instance of it is in dlc, supports, or gag weapons. The former two being optional and the last one well that’s just the entire joke.

25 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

A ton of Sacred Stones' early game has this exact same problem, actually. Not just that one. It's kind of ridiculous. And New Mystery Book 2 as well, that's all over the place.

...that's true, actually. It's the most egregious in 5x, probably, since it's so long, basically every enemy (that doesn't start aggro) can be pulled individually, and there's absolutely zero pressure to hurry up. But linked behaviour between enemies doesn't seem to be as prevalent, or at least not as impactful, as it is in other games. Good catch, I never really put that together.

1 minute ago, ping said:

...that's true, actually. It's the most egregious in 5x, probably, since it's so long, basically every enemy (that doesn't start aggro) can be pulled individually, and there's absolutely zero pressure to hurry up. But linked behaviour between enemies doesn't seem to be as prevalent, or at least not as impactful, as it is in other games. Good catch, I never really put that together.

Yeah, in Book 2 it gets especially ridiculous since the star shards are such a huge incentive to fight enemies one at a time with somebody loaded up with shards. The chapters where I trained up Merric practically have their insultingly tepid AI burned into my brain.

16 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yeah, in Book 2 it gets especially ridiculous since the star shards are such a huge incentive to fight enemies one at a time with somebody loaded up with shards. The chapters where I trained up Merric practically have their insultingly tepid AI burned into my brain.

Pretty much Fishing for Mooks 101, huh?

6 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Pretty much Fishing for Mooks 101, huh?

In fairness, this is AI that a lot of games use, but the key difference that makes these games I'm talking about so bad with it is that it's basically every enemy on the map. Most games have at least half of the enemies charge you, or come later as reinforcements, but these games barely have any of those at times.

Alright, let's get ready for next map. First off: Felicia's getting a reclass! I'm using the path bonus, the ebon wing, to turn Felicia into a dark falcon, which is this game's rename of the dark flier.

And later in Echoes they'd change the name of that class yet again to Harrier. Is it really so hard to come up with a satisfying name for a magic pegasus? All those names are passable in my book (though I like Harrier the best). And after all that deliberation they went back to the original name of Dark Flier in Three Houses.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

And later in Echoes they'd change the name of that class yet again to Harrier. Is it really so hard to come up with a satisfying name for a magic pegasus? All those names are passable in my book (though I like Harrier the best). And after all that deliberation they went back to the original name of Dark Flier in Three Houses.

Yeah, I'm kinda curious why they felt the name needed to be changed at all, let alone three times.

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

They chose to do that. You could try to explain all the other examples by them being titanically lazy, but they actively chose to make Hana identical to her Birthright counterpart except two points of strength and skill weaker.

Reveleation is so incredibly dumb with regard to units...

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

She's still really weak at first due to being level one, but she's gonna get good super quick, and taking a lot of hits to kill enemies just means more chip exp while that's still good.

Fun fact, there is a cap on the amount of chip exp you can get off of a single enemy in Fates. I stumbled on this while trying to boss abuse the last few members of my party into getting their level 15 skill on the boss of chapter 26 on Reveleation for my PMU, but there was a point where no one was able to get exp form chipping (or helping in the kill with an attack stance).

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Whilst her situation is different from Donnel, I still find Mozu to be "awesome, but impractical", for most of the same reasons Donnel sucked.

Who of the other 4 units you have available in Revelations when it unlocks, would even be low enough level to gain experience on that Pararlogue with the Lunatic exp curve and low-manning that is forced upon you? Why not just train Mozu, or skip her paralogue entirely? Even if you wait a chapter like Alastor did, are nerfed  Hana, or Subaki worth bothering with? Revelation is so utterly nonsensical with its design philosophy that training Mozu IS practical. Even on the other routes, there is an argument to be made that she is worth the cost of investing in her, but on Lunatic Revelation the opportunity cost is much lower...

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also, Charlotte, for being the first female Fighter, doesn't make a good impression for Fighters, but Fighters in this game suck harder than Little Mac's recovery anyhow.

If you actually bothered to train her, you would find she becomes a combat monster.

Spoiler

ACtC-3ctJNdi5PQ2y66d3-QAflmQN5x25DNyQRS3ACtC-3fWo0p3vSkfzCLsW5ZoczOldiAdEHhmsGMZ

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Harrier makes me think of aircraft (though it apparently can refer to a type of bird), too modern to me. If FE is going to have a Harrier, it'd have to be in a TMS sequel. 

Given Falcoknight is an established thing already, Dark Falcon is more fitting I'd say. Dark Flier is dull and nondescript, should we change Wyvern Lord to Flier Lord?

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Harrier makes me think of aircraft (though it apparently can refer to a type of bird), too modern to me. If FE is going to have a Harrier, it'd have to be in a TMS sequel. 

I mean we already have tomahawks.

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Who of the other 4 units you have available in Revelations when it unlocks, would even be low enough level to gain experience on that Pararlogue with the Lunatic exp curve and low-manning that is forced upon you? Why not just train Mozu, or skip her paralogue entirely? Even if you wait a chapter like Alastor did, are nerfed  Hana, or Subaki worth bothering with? Revelation is so utterly nonsensical with its design philosophy that training Mozu IS practical. Even on the other routes, there is an argument to be made that she is worth the cost of investing in her, but on Lunatic Revelation the opportunity cost is much lower...

I just wait until after chapter 8 - doing it asap on Revelation doesn't exactly sound smart...

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

If you actually bothered to train her, you would find she becomes a combat monster.

Hide contents

ACtC-3ctJNdi5PQ2y66d3-QAflmQN5x25DNyQRS3ACtC-3fWo0p3vSkfzCLsW5ZoczOldiAdEHhmsGMZ

The thing is, this is a game that I call Murphy's Law: The Game, and thus the only thing she'd accomplish is making me want to throw my 3DS at a wall because she misses more than Stone Edge and Focus Blast.. Not to mention she comes underleveled, which is pretty much a death sentence for what little viability she has.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

The thing is, this is a game that I call Murphy's Law: The Game, and thus the only thing she'd accomplish is making me want to throw my 3DS at a wall because she misses more than Stone Edge and Focus Blast.. Not to mention she comes underleveled, which is pretty much a death sentence for what little viability she has.

There are so many ways to increase the accuracy of your units. Its only a game of Murphy's Law if you want it to be.

23 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

There are so many ways to increase the accuracy of your units. Its only a game of Murphy's Law if you want it to be.

Even then, I'd still get better results from someone who can hit worth a damn, which Charlotte cannot. Especially when she's a foot axe, aka the unit type most likely to have accuracy problems in Fire Emblem. Ergo, fights involving her are liable to play out with her missing and getting smacked for a lot of damage in retaliation. Why in the seven hells should I bother with someone who screams "I'm a liability!" in damn near every way a Fire Emblem unit can?

Edited by Shadow Mir

46 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Even then, I'd still get better results from someone who can hit worth a damn, which Charlotte cannot. Especially when she's a foot axe, aka the unit type most likely to have accuracy problems in Fire Emblem. Ergo, fights involving her are liable to play out with her missing and getting smacked for a lot of damage in retaliation. Why in the seven hells should I bother with someone who screams "I'm a liability!" in damn near every way a Fire Emblem unit can?

You could always try to use units before you judge them...

59 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

You could always try to use units before you judge them...

Not when they're in a class that's (still) known for sucking ass. I mean, while knights and archers were generally considered bad, this game actually made them worth using. Fighters have no such luck, given that the two this game gives you suck even harder than most fighters in the past have, as one screams "reset hazard" due to awful crit evade, and the other comes underleveled, and both still suffer from the typical fighter issues. In an extremely unforgiving game. Whoopee. Considering that Camilla comes along, making them look even worse than they already do, I find trying to find reasons to use them like trying to find a use for tits on a bull.

...have we been here before? It certainly feels like we've been here before. Like, a lot. Often. All the fucking time.

Although, to be fair, it probably feels like even more than it really is, since we're always running in (very small) circles after the second post.

15 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Haha and Kaze both have thirteen, And Subaki's only one better.

tbf, Kaze being weak is not really unexpected, is it? The weakest of the Ninja squad. And in chapter 9 you´ll get your +4STR/2DEF backback again, so Kaze may be more workable.

...Great Lord Hana?

It almost makes her a unit. Then again, your units probably can´t beat that map yet.

Edited by Imuabicus