Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

7 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Weirdly enough, Scarlet has an unused Paired ending with Corrin in Revelations.

Maybe they were going to do the Kaze "Survive if Sranked" thing.

Is it even unused? Because like I said, you actually can support Scarlet in Revalations. Though my most recent playthrough was with female Corrin, so I'm not sure if you can S support.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Is it even unused? Because like I said, you actually can support Scarlet in Revalations. Though my most recent playthrough was with female Corrin, so I'm not sure if you can S support.

You can only have a paired ending if both characters survive to the end of the game, correct? So even if you S-rank Corrin and Scarlet in Rev, they won't have a paired ending.

51 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

You can only have a paired ending if both characters survive to the end of the game, correct? So even if you S-rank Corrin and Scarlet in Rev, they won't have a paired ending.

I do recall Alastor saying Scarlet is treated like a regular unit that dies in gameplay, so maybe, but with that being said, I don't think she is just a regular unit who dies, I think she still exists in some form in your data after she dies. As I tried an experiment by giving her Ranjito to hold before entering the cutscene where she dies, to see if it'd go into the convoy, but it doesn't, it stays in her inventory, and by going to the convoy you can still see Scarlet and her inventory. I don't think this happens to units who die regularly. So it might be possible due to an oversight her ending could still be generated, if "Died at the Bottomless Canyon" isn't actually text generated by her being removed from your party and instead is just her unpaired Revalation ending.

26 minutes ago, Jotari said:

As I tried an experiment by giving her Ranjito to hold before entering the cutscene where she dies, to see if it'd go into the convoy, but it doesn't, it stays in her inventory, and by going to the convoy you can still see Scarlet and her inventory. I don't think this happens to units who die regularly.

I think that she is only officially considered dead after clearing chapter 18. Otherwise, it's like Takumi and Elise in the chapters where they're unusable.

Birthright Day 17: Paralogue 7

Everyone's gift today is a princess bow. Enjoy!

...One of the random name options for bond units is apparently Naruto. Fun.

Okay, so, I sold some valuable-yet-unneeded shit in my convoy and bought the rescue staves. I wanna do this map for the experience, because I still have plenty of units who are behind the current exp curve and I want them caught the hell up. I'm gonna keep doing this until the exp gain slows down.

Also, I'm upgrading everyone's weapons, most crucially my kinshi knights. I've taken my two silver bows and forged them into a single silver bow called the Armbreaker because why the hell not? 18 might in emergencies sounds pretty okay. Bows are really strong and thus aren't like some other weapons where forging cheaper weapons gets you basically the same might as a silver, so this power actually kinda justifies the debuff. I also made the Big Brass into a +3 instead of a +2, and since Saizo's no longer bad with bows, might as well give him a forged iron. I'll call it the Saizbow. +3. I'm also upgrading the Soi-Soi and the NagintaNaginta to +3s, so my kinshi knights have melee options as well.

Alright, with that, and a strength-speed meal, I think I'm ready to tackle this. My player-phase fliers, the real focus of my training today, should thrive in this desert after I get Shiro to safety.

YEP! LOOKS LIKE I WAS RIGHT! SAIZO DIDN'T HAVE TO CLASS CHANGE TO GET DARTING BLOW! AWESOME! HELLO 30 ATTACK SPEED SAIZO!

...I completely forgot that Shiro is my son in this game. Man, I just have absolutely no emotional investment to my shipping in this game, do I?

Woo! Enemies have started charging! Now to have some fun with the terrain!

Oh wow, my player-phase fighters are getting pretty dang strong now that I have a chance to catch them up again. Especially Saizo, Mozu and Takumi.

SHIT! Saizo got to level 14. Now he has to get a level higher to get bowfaire. I was breezing through this map so well I didn't even notice. Reclassing him to sniper now.

...I just got the “you're fucked” music... when attacking a bow user in melee. The fuck are the conditions for this thing!?

Anyway, I got Mozu to level 13, so she'll reclass immediately. But it's the end of the map, so it'll have to wait for East Dakota.

Speaking of, time for supports.

Shiro: Has Dad ever even given you a gift or anything?

Dakota, whose pre-romance support chain with Ryoma culminates in a present: Sh-Shiro, that's not your father's way.

Damn it.

Silas's support with Azura is basically him... being super suspicious of her because, in fairness, she's a super suspicious individual whose entire role in the story is to somehow simultaneously explain everything and explain nothing.

Azura: Honestly, I don't have any secrets-

MY FUCKING SIDES.

Moving on, apparently there's something about Silas's head that Sakura thinks is severely fucked up, and it's kind of hilarious watching Sakura talk to Silas with high fantasy medical concern without directly saying what she thinks is wrong about it.

Ah, Asugi and Mozu! Cool!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! MOZU FUCKING SNUCK ALONG ON ASUGI'S MISSION WITH HIM! OH MY GOD! I REMEMBER WHEN OVERPROTECTIVE PARENTS TAGGING ALONG ON THEIR ACTION HERO CHILDREN'S MISSIONS WAS A CARTOON STAPLE!

The joke went on a bit too long, but that moment when Mozu showed up was AMAZING. And Mozu is just dorky enough to make it work perfectly.

...Apparently you can give fox tails to Kaden. And he'll like them.

Let's see... is there another map I can do that would take minimal commentary so I can do it in time for what I've got to do today...?

Day 17 Bonus: Paralogue 2

Alright, fuck it! Let's get my other son!

Kana: Ah! What a lovely day! I might just break out in song! And twirl all the day long!

Kana, that line is ridiculous enough even when you're a girl.

Yeah, I don't like Kana nearly as much as I like Morgan. But then, that would be par for the course in these games. Yeah, honestly... I think I'm gonna have to agree with everyone about Fates being a tier worse than Awakening. I'm gonna have to adjust the writing score. Awakening's story is complete and utter garbage, make no mistake... but the sheer scale of difference in supports and character writing is just night and motherfucking day here.

That said...

Okay, there's a line here I liked so much that when I was re-imagining Fates in a way that got rid of the children from the future and also made Hoshido and Nohr closer to each other in terms of narrative sympathy and morality, I decided I'd have to keep it by giving it to the now-heroic Garon.

Dakota: YOU! YOU DARE TOUCH MY CHILD!? I'LL SOAK THESE FIELDS WITH YOUR BLOOD!

Alright, time to do some prep and get on this! I'll be using Ryoma and Silas more this map due to the sheer number of units I need to take care of at the start, but we should be fine. Besides, it'll be nice to get them their respective faires to completely solidify their slaughtering capabilities.

OH SHIT YES. DUSK FALLS TIME BABY! OH HOW I HAVE MISSED YOU! I'M SO GLAD YOU PLAY IN THE PARALOGUES OF THE ALL-ROUTES NOHRIAN CHILDREN!

For those of you who don't know, this is a big open map that you can add water terrain to with dragon veins, but the main gimmick is that Kana is an uncontrolled dragon in the center of the map who will attack any enemies in his range. So naturally you wanna keep him out of trouble as much as possible.

...These promoted enemies with their crit rates are a lot harder to avoid risking crits with than I remember. I'm thinking it was a mistake to make that +3 iron instead of a +4 bronze. Having that +10 crit avoid on everyone would be incredibly useful.

Oh yeah, and if you get in range of any of the enemies at the bottom of the map, they start charging, which is a pain because this is a rout map and if you stick around long enough, more enemies will show up. Thankfully I managed to block a bridge to keep the last enemies occupied.

...It's taking an awful long time for these reinforcements to show up. Almost like they're supposed to be an easter egg. How could the map possibly take this long when it's so small?

Ah yes, and this is where Lloyd and Llewelyn show up. I don't like them nearly as much as the other variations of the archetype. They're just dumb ugly bandits with weird hair.

...That's weird, usually the player unit's voiced victory line doesn't happen when the enemy has a dying line, but it did when Silas killed Llewelyn.

This map would be a lot more fun if it didn't make you wait around to fight all of the enemies like this. After Lloyd and Llewelyn, I'm still waiting!

Alright, some more have shown up. At the end of turn ten. Sadly, they showed up behind the place where I'm holding off the boss, so I have to give up on keeping the boss alive down here. Oh well.

At least Mozu got bowfaire from the boss. Let's see what else I can get by killing these last few enemies.

Oh I am so fucking close to getting Takumi and Shigure bowfaire with these last few enemies. Come on, baby, let's do this...

YES! MORE ENEMIES SHOW UP AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MAP! I THINK WE CAN GET SAIZO BOWFAIRE TOO!

YESSSSSS! SAIZO, MOZU, TAKUMI AND SHIGURE ALL HAVE BOWFAIRE! LET'S FUCKIN' GOOOOOOOOO!

Ohhhhhhh those Chapter 24 generals and great knights guarding the southern turrets are fuh-huuuuuucked on Monday.

Aaaaaand Dakota cements herself as worst mother in the world by revealing she never talked to Kana once about her (and as it's turned out and was always a possibility, his) dragon blood. Fuck. Damn it.

Oh god, I forgot the dumb “That's dragon for 'I love you'!” thing the localization added. Not that a good localization could possibly have saved this game, but the localization team did... some pretty dumb shit on a regular basis.

Wow, so many supports again! Alright, let's check these out real quick.

I'm kind of annoyed that the female avatar's support line with male Kana... is the same as the generic one that other female characters have with female Kana. I don't get why they did that. What was female Kana's support with her father like that they felt it couldn't be done with mother and son instead of father and daughter?

Anyway, this is a support about flowers. Apparently in the B support, they find a different flower depending on who Kana's mother is, and Kana always says the same thing in response, which allowed them to do something super hilarious if Rhajat is the mom of a female Kana:

Rhajat: Ooh. Flowers that shade of black are extremely rare, and prized for their beauty. They represent death, destruction, despair, and many other terrible d-words. They say that none who gaze upon this flower will ever know joy again.

Kana: I love them! They remind me of you, Mama!

Rhajat: …

Kana: …

Rhajat: That's the kindest thing anyone has ever said to me, Kana! Thank you!

...Dakota calls Kana her “little Kana-bean”. I don't know whether I love or hate that.

Saizo has another support with Asugi now. Apparently this candy-sharing is for intelligence gathering too, causing Saizo to apologize for going off on him, but it's also to socialize, which prompts the amusing inversion of the cliché game show line when he says “I'm not just here to win. I'm also here to make friends.”

Honestly, Saizo and Asugi's parental relationship is weirdly cute when Saizo gives his pseudo-grudging respect, having realized that however bizarre Asugi's methods seem... I mean they work, so there's really nothing he feels he has any right to criticize.

Ah yes, I forgot! Kana and Ryoma! This support is... pretty basic and saccharine, but I do like Ryoma's lines.

Kana and Shiro's sibling support is...

...No, I won't even dignify it with comment. Kana's total lack of social awareness got something resembling a chuckle out of me, but then I remembered that the scene I should be comparing this to is the fucking cockroach incident, and it suddenly hits me again full blast just how horrible these supports are 70% of the time.

Shigure and Takumi's B support. Holy shit. If the A support doesn't take place after the exhibition, I am going to be sooooo fucking mad, because this one seems to imply any support taking place during the exhibition will be at most a few hours later.

Alright, time to turn all my snipers but Takumi back into kinshi knights, and that'll be it for today.

Stay safe, everyone!

Stay safer than literally every enemy in Chapter 24.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Anyway, this is a support about flowers. Apparently in the B support, they find a different flower depending on who Kana's mother is, and Kana always says the same thing in response, which allowed them to do something super hilarious if Rhajat is the mom of a female Kana:

Rhajat: Ooh. Flowers that shade of black are extremely rare, and prized for their beauty. They represent death, destruction, despair, and many other terrible d-words. They say that none who gaze upon this flower will ever know joy again.

Kana: I love them! They remind me of you, Mama!

Rhajat: …

Kana: …

Rhajat: That's the kindest thing anyone has ever said to me, Kana! Thank you!

The weirdness level of this is ov--- ah forget it. * throws a scouter down and kicks it into a cliff face*

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...I completely forgot that Shiro is my son in this game. Man, I just have absolutely no emotional investment to my shipping in this game, do I?

That or Shiro's just such a disappointment to both his parents.

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

then I remembered that the scene I should be comparing this to is the fucking cockroach incident

Man it has been years since I've seen that convo.

How come I'm still remembering laughing at it?

Any worries about the chapters after 24?

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Any worries about the chapters after 24?

Not overly. With my player phasers getting their endgame power boosts and Ryoma and Silas being, well... Ryoma and Silas, the endgame really doesn't have me all that concerned.

Daily reminder that Corrin can marry her nephews even though they think they have blood ties.

8 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I'm kind of annoyed that the female avatar's support line with male Kana... is the same as the generic one that other female characters have with female Kana. I don't get why they did that. What was female Kana's support with her father like that they felt it couldn't be done with mother and son instead of father and daughter?

One more point in favor of the argument that Male Corrin was supposed to be the canon one.

20 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

One more point in favor of the argument that Male Corrin was supposed to be the canon one.

Or they could have done female Corrin first, liked the flower thing, and wanted to do it for every female character. Just playing devil's advocate, we could be viewing this backwards as to which is a copy of which.

Speaking of Silas, am I the only one here who doesn't think he's all that great? Because in general, I find his personal skill rather finicky to have active, because far, FAR more often than not, I'll be better off with Corrin healthy and holding the frontlines than with Corrin missing most of their health just to boost him.

12 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Or they could have done female Corrin first, liked the flower thing, and wanted to do it for every female character. Just playing devil's advocate, we could be viewing this backwards as to which is a copy of which.

It may be, but it would mean two things:

• Or they created supports with Male Corrin in mind and Female Corrin's supports were an afterthought;
  • Or they were extremely lazy to repeat 90% of the same support without making meaningful changes;

The two show how half-assed IS's work and dedication was in that game. Pick your poison.

7 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

It may be, but it would mean two things:

• Or they created supports with Male Corrin in mind and Female Corrin's supports were an afterthought;
  • Or they were extremely lazy to repeat 90% of the same support without making meaningful changes;

The two show how half-assed IS's work and dedication was in that game. Pick your poison.

I did see someone who appears to be in the datemining/unused content/beta content community say that Female Corrin was -reportedly- added late to the actual game of Fates. They very likely existed in the story outline from the start, but when they turned Corrin into pixels and code, they started with Morrin as the base, and Forrin was added later as the alternative.

This, said person said, is true of Byleth. All playable maps in 3H call for Male Byleth to be force-deployed, there is a special line of code to override Myleth if Fyleth was chosen at the start.  Perhaps it could be compared (say I) to ordering a pizza, unless you say "I can't have gluten", you'll likely get one rich in the doughy wheat compound.

Whether or not the order of the programming insertion of the genders of the avatar has any relevance to their writing, which can proceed wholly independent of their technical implementation, is a question I cannot answer.

On 3/5/2021 at 11:44 AM, Shadow Mir said:

I think that she is only officially considered dead after clearing chapter 18. Otherwise, it's like Takumi and Elise in the chapters where they're unusable.

That does seem pretty likely. Kind of feel like blazing through the game on easy mode now to S support Scarlet to see what happens.

On 3/6/2021 at 10:08 AM, Alastor15243 said:

I didn't know about the exclusive flowers per parent thing. That is pretty novel, and I can imagine them writing it first and then liking the concept enough to expand it out to other parents. But if they did do it that way, you'd expect them to do the same with Kana's paternal support. Ie having them, I don't know hunting different types of animals or something else stereotypically fatherly to do (yeah, bad example but my meaning should be clear).

Edited by Jotari

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I didn't know about the exclusive flowers per parent thing. That is pretty novel, and I can imagine them writing it first and then liking the concept enough to expand it out to other parents. But if they did do it that way, you'd expect them to do the same with Kana's paternal support. Ie having them, I don't know hunting different types of animals or something else stereotypically fatherly to do (yeah, bad example but my meaning should be clear).

Fair point.

Anyway... holy shit, Three Houses just feels so much closer now that I'm more than halfway through Fates. We're nearly at the end of this. Well, I guess there's still the Kaga Saga and any future games in the series. But yeah, only three games left. Granted, I've no doubt one of those games will take fucking forever...

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Fair point.

Anyway... holy shit, Three Houses just feels so much closer now that I'm more than halfway through Fates. We're nearly at the end of this. Well, I guess there's still the Kaga Saga and any future games in the series. But yeah, only three games left. Granted, I've no doubt one of those games will take fucking forever...

Honestly for the sake of the LP, I don't think anyone would judge you for using new-game plus on 3H to at least avoid grinding up Byleth again to at least skip some of that. (even if you cant avoid having to train up the students I think.)

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

Well, I guess there's still the Kaga Saga and any future games in the series. But yeah, only three games left. Granted, I've no doubt one of those games will take fucking forever...

If you wanna procrastinate, the KagaSagas are all pretty long; IIRC TearRing is mid fourties, Berwick has 49 and...I can't remember for Vestaria, but I think it's about 20, but the last map is huge.

3 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Granted, I've no doubt one of those games will take fucking forever...

And you can't even do NG+ to make the beginning of maddening less awful...

Speaking of, any paralogues you want to do?

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

And you can't even do NG+ to make the beginning of maddening less awful...

Can I even justify playing Maddening for this? Can I really justify playing a difficulty so badly designed that Chapter 13 can soft-lock you?

12 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Fair point.

Oh dang. I need to get back to playing Tear Ring Saga then to preempt you. Started playing it like a year ago but stopped after finishing the first arc.

9 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Honestly for the sake of the LP, I don't think anyone would judge you for using new-game plus on 3H to at least avoid grinding up Byleth again to at least skip some of that. (even if you cant avoid having to train up the students I think.)

While in general I am a big believer in "New Game+ is there, use it, it's fun (seriously I've abused New Game+ so much I've mastered every weapon and class with Byleth)" for the purpose of this kind of playthrough, personally, I would argue against it. The whole point of this marathon is kind of to judge the games on their own individual merits and New Game+ isn't a designed aspect of the game's vanilla experience. You are meant to experience the 70+ hours of the game first before having access to new game+, and while Alastor has experienced that with Three Houses, he hasn't during this playthrough. If he were playing more than one route of Three Houses then I'd be all for using New Game+ on the subsequent routes, but not the first.

3 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Can I even justify playing Maddening for this? Can I really justify playing a difficulty so badly designed that Chapter 13 can soft-lock you?

You didn't play Lunatic+, so precedent I guess.

Edited by Jotari

11 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Speaking of Silas, am I the only one here who doesn't think he's all that great? Because in general, I find his personal skill rather finicky to have active, because far, FAR more often than not, I'll be better off with Corrin healthy and holding the frontlines than with Corrin missing most of their health just to boost him.

Early, and easy access to cavalier (and thus the shelter skill) is still some great value he has even ignoring his personal (especially in Birthright), and I think Alastor has shown the situation where that personal skill can make him into one of the best units around. It is situational, and one you have to play with it in mind (if you want to take advantage of it at all), but you can generally set that situation up, and the cost to your Corrin can be mitigated by using them in more supportive roles (like the backpacking Alastor has been using them as... although converting Corrin to a staff bot, or rally bot would allow for similar value with the same expectation of safety...)

24 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Ugh...No wonder I am having flashbacks to the overwhelmingly mind-numbing pile of Three Houses supports after every little thing, every time you mention having supports to read through...sigh, I need to find some way to get past this Three Houses burnout of mine...

31 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

You know, I really dislike everything about Three Houses...

But I never actually found chapter 13 to be that bad, at least on VW. I just made my Brigand>Pegasus Byleth and Claude ignore everyone until Lysithea showed up with her warp.

The one that bothered me more was the rout map with infinite reinforcements unless a green unit with a crit rate against them manages to survive.

3 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I need to find some way to get past this Three Houses burnout of mine...

There's this neat little game called Berwick Saga/Yakuza 0/Colonel Sanders dating simulator...

9 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

although converting Corrin to a staff bot, or rally bot would allow for similar value with the same expectation of safety...

Rally bot Corrin would be fascinating, honestly. Might be an interesting gimmick build to try sometime.

23 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Honestly, I feel that the problems with Three Houses Maddening are overstated. They definitely do exist, and the chapter 13 thing is a pretty major black mark, but it's unlikely to softlock anyone who knows that it's coming. Beyond that, I don't think it's as awful as people make it out to be. The stat inflation can sometimes make it a bit of a slog, but it isn't irredeemably awful or anything. And the other option would be playing on Hard, which offers very little in the way of challenge, so is a bad choice from the perspective of fairly assessing difficulty.

53 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

puts on my Judgy McJudgeface glasses

On 3/5/2021 at 11:46 AM, Alastor15243 said:

YEP! LOOKS LIKE I WAS RIGHT! SAIZO DIDN'T HAVE TO CLASS CHANGE TO GET DARTING BLOW! AWESOME! HELLO 30 ATTACK SPEED SAIZO!

Huh, now I know. I'd assumed, I dunno, that Kinshi Knight only gave you the Sky Knight skills if you were in the "promotes from Sky Knight version" of the class. But now it looks like such "versions" probably don't even exist.

8 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Honestly, I feel that the problems with Three Houses Maddening are overstated. They definitely do exist, and the chapter 13 thing is a pretty major black mark, but it's unlikely to softlock anyone who knows that it's coming. Beyond that, I don't think it's as awful as people make it out to be. The stat inflation can sometimes make it a bit of a slog, but it isn't irredeemably awful or anything. And the other option would be playing on Hard, which offers very little in the way of challenge, so is a bad choice from the perspective of fairly assessing difficulty.

Agreed to an extent - this is more a "fuck that map in particular" issue, than a "Maddening is overtuned" one. That map is always gonna have at least the possibility of a soft-lock, even on lower difficulties, if you don't train up Byleth or your main Lord, and let your in-house students die. It's just exacerbated on Maddening.

7 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Agreed to an extent - this is more a "fuck that map in particular" issue, than a "Maddening is overtuned" one. That map is always gonna have at least the possibility of a soft-lock, even on lower difficulties, if you don't train up Byleth or your main Lord, and let your in-house students die. It's just exacerbated on Maddening.

You're actually immune to that particular problem if you're playing on Normal, since Normal will level everyone up to at least level 20 when you hit the timeskip (which is exploited ridiculously in speedruns). But yeah, even in Hard, there is a potential risk of softlock, though far less than it is on Maddening.