Alastor15243

Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Now Playing: Conquest!

Conquest Day 39: Chapter 26

And we've hit a thousand battle points! That means that once I've beaten the game, I'll take a day to take my surviving army and send them to battle against anyone who wants to challenge me!

I'm also 320 visitor points away from getting the visitation seal, which is excellent. That'd be really fun to play around with! I'm thinking when this is over I'm gonna do a Lunatic Birthright run where I just steamroll the whole fucking thing with all the cool shit I've got.

It seems damned near half the people in the castle have milk for me today. I guess that helps make up for all the milk I lost yesterday at any rate, though I have basically no chance of running out of it.

Alright, let's check out the map and then see what we have to do to prepare.

So the whole Nohrian royal family stands in front of the throne room, and Garon tells them to stay behind so he can consult Ceiling Dragon. First off, it's funny how they just assume there won't be any enemies lying in wait guarding the throne room, waiting to ambush them just when they think they've won. Second, why the fuck hasn't Anankos warned Garon about the throne... when the throne was a fucking gift from Valla!?

But yeah, everyone's just waiting outside before Garon lets them in, but there's one more hurdle before we can finally expose Garon.

Iago and Hans found out we didn't kill Hinoka. Apparently they took so long to escape that during Dakota's duel with Ryoma, when Iago ordered a search of the castle grounds, they saw Hinoka and her retainers still in the process of running off. Apparently they didn't catch her, but still saw her clearly enough that there could be no mistake. That... that makes no sense at all. She had a head start! If they could get that close to her, that must have meant they were faster! How did she get away!?

But by this point, the entire Nohrian royal family has had enough of Iago's shit and stands with us to take them out. And it has one really dumb line from Elise:

You and Hans have done nothing but awful things to innocent people for years! And what's more, you've been openly mean to Dakota!”

Yeah, uh... let's just get to the fight.

So yeah. This is... This is a pretty damned crazy fight. There are two big, crazy, overpowered skills that Conquest Lunatic gives enemies in the last few maps of the game. The first was inevitable end, the bane of last map, which lets debuffs stack. The second is staff savant, and it's introduced here. It gives all staves 1-10 range and infinite uses. If we were playing on Hard, Iago would still have it, but the maids scattered around the level sure as hell wouldn't. Iago has four staves that he apparently constantly alternates between based on the turn, so you can work out when to avoid the dreaded hexing rod in his final inventory slot.

The first room has a hexing rod maid, which mans that we absolutely have to take advantage of our starting position being deep in her range so we can kill her turn one. But that means we have to wade right into a room full of heroes, all of whom have wyrmslayers. That means we can't have any wyvern users in that room, but more damningly, it also means that for turn one, we can't use Dakota or anyone related to him.

Meaning the only people we have available to take out that room are Xander, Leo and Soleil, and Leo can't one-round them.

...Sounds like I should probably go grab Velouria.

Day 39 Change of Plans: Paralogue 18

Alright, so, this map has the units all really concentrated in the middle. I don't think this will be a good opportunity to train my player-phasers, and my enemy-phasers are all pretty much maxed out anyway.

Also, I just remembered the dracoshield I got last chapter, so I gave it to Soleil to improve her enemy-phasing against non-ninjas.

I changed up the meal to boost strength and speed instead of defense and speed, and I've got it planned out so I can take out most of the enemies in the center on turn 2 and then player-phase the faceless reinforcements.

Since Keaton's a mandatory deploy, I'll be pairing him up with Camilla for old time's sake. This should be a quick job, so let's get on with it.

...Fun fact: Faceless apparently qualify as male as far as demoiselle is concerned. For a second I was terrified I had done my calculations wrong and Dakota wouldn't be able to one-round these guys on a forest tile, but nope, that was just the demoiselle from the strategist I was just about to kill.

So, first thing I do is have Dakota/Gunter and Xander/Charlotte stand outside the staff/turret range, with Gunter in front. Then I rally them up, silence the map with the dragon vein, and send them both in. Xander kills the faceless in front of the central strategist, while Dakota kills the strategist directly in melee range with the Grim Yato. The result being that Dakota is now in a position to kill not only the faceless in the immediate vicinity, but also all of the malig knights that are threatening the map with their massive zones of control. And with them blasted right out of the sky, all I have-

...Two of them didn't attack.

...Their hit rate was too low. Damn it.

...Also, I forgot to change Velouria's skills, so she has swordbreaker instead of trample. Damn it. Well, swordbreaker will be nice for the immediate purpose I recruited her for, but still, damn, wish I remembered to check. For all of their insane strength, their limited weapon access means they sometimes have trouble one-rounding.

I like beastshifters in this game a lot more than in Awakening, incidentally. In my initial hard mode playthrough my Dakota!Velouria was, pardon the term, an absolute beast, very effective against meleelocked groups, and the fact that she could alter her defensive stats on the fly for optimal enemy-baiting was really handy. I've unfortunately never been able to make her that good again, and I'm not sure why.

Alright, so, I cleared the wave of reinforcements that shows up after you charge the center, and now I'm working on taking out the leftover enemies. Once they're gone, I'm going to do an air strike to the north and BETTER FUCKING DO IT NOW, BECAUSE A TON OF SORCERERS JUST SPAWNED AND THEY'RE PROBABLY GONNA HEAD STRAIGHT FOR VELOURIA.

Yep, they totally did. Okay, so, due to an oversight, I don't have anyone in range of the final dragon vein. Xander comes close, but he's one short. Which means I need to transfer a mount to him this turn. After that, there will only be three enemies in Velouria's general area who will still be able to fight come enemy phase, and I have plenty of fliers ready to go over the mountains to make sure that they're all dead next phase too. I just need to decide who I can afford to send over to Xander to let him hit the dragon vein.

...Whoever I pick will be isolated significantly from the rest of my army if things go wrong. I think I better send Dakota to loan Xander Gunter.

Velouria saves us the trouble of either her or Percy having to eat two seal skills from a faceless by proccing two consecutive 20% crits with her beaststone. Which also lets us finish off the dark knight with Percy too!

Turns out that replicas share status effects too. You freeze one, you freeze them both. Good thing that was never something I was counting on being false.

Xander just hit level 20.

Okay, everyone but the boss duo is dead. I'm going to try and take them both out in one turn, because vantage-vengeance has the potential to be truly nasty if I can't take him out from full to dead with, say, Mozu. Velouria took out the dark knight top layer and got an HP, strength, speed and defense level for her trouble, which is excellent.

Yep, and the boss goes down to the crescent bow, and Mozu is officially level 20 and no longer has any need for aptitude. The returns were drastically diminishing anyway once she capped strength, skill and speed, but I was still holding out to improve her bulk as much as possible. It... didn't do so well there. But no matter, now she can put on something better to complete her skill set. I'll trade it for air superiority, because why not? The only other competition is skill+2. If this were Birthright or Revelation and she'd married a sky knight? I'd totally put on darting blow instead. But nope, air superiority it is.

...I probably could've done something completely psychotic by getting her life and death instead... but that's something to consider for another time.

Alright, I'll check out the supports. I've already done these, but let's see if Camilla's has anything to offer, or if I notice anything new.

...Nah, it's mostly how I remember it.

Well, this was a nice distraction.

But I'm out of paralogues now.

The next three maps I'm going to have to do using only what I've got.

But I think I've gotten myself sufficiently prepared.

This is it, people.

Next week will be the last for Conquest.

Stay safe, everyone.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, I despite this chapter with great vitriol for precisely this reason. Because on my first playthrough of the game after well over an hour of resets trying to crawl through both sides of the level, I finally managed to take out Saizo and Kagero only for Ryoma to immediatly proc Astra and kill Corrin in one shot. Just fuck everything about that. Super pissy unfair to make something safe in one turn and then suddenly remove that safety without warning in what is meant to be the path of victory. Now I just muder Ryoma on the first handful of turns because that's way, way, way easier than dealing with the level

Something something ironmannability.

I notice know commentary on the hilarious level of gameplay story segeregation at the start of the map with Ryoma pissed and fully ready to kill Corrin, only to shift over to a message saying he's going to be patient about it.

Just an all-around shittier version of the final Black Knight fight in Radiant Dawn. That time, the cutscene flowed sensibly into what happened next.

On that note. I request Alastor plays Heires of Fate.

I've thought about playing that one, along with Awakening's "Future Past". But I'm kinda burned out on spending any more on DLC. Especially when, I don't believe it's ever gone on sale?

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Radiant Dawn I'm pretty sure was the longest before now, at 45 days. This comes really close to beating it thanks to all the paralogues and the handful of days I couldn't finish a whole chapter, but I don't think it'll make it that far.

Ah, but what if the time it took to complete the Prologue through Chapter 5 were included?

2 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Something something ironmannability.

I mean they tell you before it happens, it's more that it makes the prep screen stuff weird.

2 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Ah, but what if the time it took to complete the Prologue through Chapter 5 were included?

It was.

Edited by Alastor15243

On 5/4/2021 at 6:06 AM, Alastor15243 said:

If it's any consolation, his death likely saved someone's life. If that bolt naginata falcon knight had gone after Percy like I originally planned, having her AND the two kinshi knights over the southwestern lake would have caused a ton of unforeseen problems. Xander would have 20% less hit against all his other targets in range, Percy and Camilla would have had to help fight the southwestern lake enemies and nobody would've been able to kill that second kinshi Knight near Dakota, and also Laslow wouldn't have been able to pass Dwyer off to Effie to get a reliable kill and might have missed as a result.

Fair enough. It sucks, but looking at your situation again, it looked very much like (and I ain't gonna lie, I thought) it would end worse than it actually did.

On 5/5/2021 at 11:04 AM, Alastor15243 said:

...but then right when I look away to type that, I hear a crit flash, and... the soldier's down? WHAT?

By what I heard and saw, it sounds like the bow knight just... fucking ignored wary fighter and attacked twice, hitting the first time and critting the second!

THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED WHILE I LOOKED AWAY!? THERE WAS ONLY ONE ENEMY WITH PASS THERE'S ONLY ONE BOW KNIGHT AROUND WHERE HE WAS! THIS SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE!

Yeah, I'm not sure about this one... UNLESS the lancer attacked said bow knight on the NPC turn as well, which is about the only reasonable explanation.

On 5/4/2021 at 5:56 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Poor Siegbert. He's too good a boy to go out like that. 

On 5/4/2021 at 4:13 AM, Jotari said:

That was the first map you actually fielded Seigbert in, right? Xander, father of the year, abandons his son with visits as frequent as a deadbeat dad, praises his son for battling a hoard of enemies by himself because that's what royalty does, allows him to join a war during it's most dangerous final phase and then gets him killed in his first battle. What a hero XD

For all the flak that Fates gets with regards to its handling of children, this is NOT the dumbest thing a parent has done with their child in this series... that goes to Ethlyn by far; anyone with half a brain would know that taking an infant child with you on a war march would be as smart as robbing a gun store (something that I have seen, incidentally; no prizes for guessing how that went). Yet it seems that people are A-OK with that (despite the fact that, you know, a child would be an obvious liability if you ever ran into enemies; it's no guarantee that they wouldn't just get killed) while they aren't so forgiving when it comes to what the Fates parents did (which at least keeps them safe for a while)... what's with the blatantly hypocritical double standard???

On 5/4/2021 at 12:59 AM, Imuabicus said:

Yeah, Sol requires big brain someone with 1-2 range, but I knew your stance on that skill anyway. Malefic Aura is in essence +2 Mag.

Okay then, let's think about the sources of 1-2 range in this game;

• Throwing weapons got nerfed and cannot follow up or activate skills, with the exceptions having other issues
  • Magic weapons also cannot activate skills, again with certain exceptions
  • Tomes are not as good a weapon type as they were in Awakening (also, most units good with magic are rather frail)
  • Shuriken are only usable by 5 classes, three of which are in the same class tree (durability tends to be a concern with these classes too)
  • Raijinto and Siegfried are character locked.

This means that I'm rather limited in terms of 1-2 range options that can activate skills. There's also the fact that in general, Sol is only useful if the enemy is healthy when it procs, seeing as it only drains half the damage dealt, and useless otherwise. Needless to say, that won't always happen (and besides, that's not the mark of a good skill if they're that restricted in terms of when they can be good). And then there's the fact that its activation rate is, at best, about 1/3 - slightly more reliable than a Scald burn. Malefic Aura is not going to do much except for magic-heavy parties - and let's face it, mages are most likely going to be a minority in any given FE party.

I assume you talking about Kumagera and Gazak? Not really - of course using them requires the player to notice that they are geared towards taking stuff out and not stand around and twiddle their thumbs. There´s a goddamn reason characters have Certain Blow.

Which any other combat unit can do, except most melee combat units aren't only effective on player phase, aka once a turn (not to mention that as they have foot movement, they often have to wait for their targets to approach first, which means they most likely take damage from whoever lured them in and can be easily disposed of by pretty much anyone next turn, before they have the chance to initiate). Also, at the end of the day, they're still foot axes - a class that tends to be rather pathetic - and thus I'd just pass over them anyway because Camilla renders them obsolete.

Bla bla bla, what are Fates mechanics, what is damage stacking etc pp.

And there is no stat difference between Hard and Lunatic - Niles performance will be the same on either. If you played the game, you might know that. How to keep Niles relevant - see sentence above. Or you just do, whatever you do to keep Kaze relevant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really, all your problems could be solved by trying stuff out,but you have been quite dedicated to trolling for the last 3-5 years.

You do realize you just shit away what credibility you think you had by hurling petty insults, right...? Trust is a two-way street, and insulting others shows you're untrustworthy. Anyway, I don't do anything to keep Kaze relevant, because - breaking news - I have issues keeping him relevant as well; FFS, I had to drop him in my current Birthright playthrough (which is on Lunatic) because he only got one strength level in 10 levels. I'm of the philosophy that while speed is the most important stat in these games, it doesn't help much when you lack nearly everywhere else; this applies to Niles as well, and is one of the many reasons why I much prefer his daughter for a bow user (admittedly, how good she is depends on her mother). Long story short, I'm not going to actively invest in units that have a habit of getting bad level ups. That being said... While there are ways to help the damage output of weaker characters, those can be applied to everyone; thus, I'd say someone who actively needs those is at a disadvantage compared to someone who doesn't.

Edited by Shadow Mir

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

On that note. I request Alastor plays Heires of Fate.

If people want it? Sure. But I'm worried the majority of my audience might have Fates fatigue at this point.

56 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Yeah, I'm not sure about this one... UNLESS the lancer attacked said bow knight on the NPC turn as well, which is about the only reasonable explanation.

That... actually very well might have been it. I can't clearly remember if any enemy movement happened after it.

11 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

It was.

Ah, my bad, then.

12 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

So yeah. This is... This is a pretty damned crazy fight. There are two big, crazy, overpowered skills that Conquest Lunatic gives enemies in the last few maps of the game. The first was inevitable end, the bane of last map, which lets debuffs stack. The second is staff savant, and it's introduced here. It gives all staves 1-10 range and infinite uses. If we were playing on Hard, Iago would still have it, but the maids scattered around the level sure as hell wouldn't. Iago has four staves that he apparently constantly alternates between based on the turn, so you can work out when to avoid the dreaded hexing rod in his final inventory slot.

Wait, they all have Staff Savant? That sounds bonkers, and not like a good time. I thought it was unfair, just on Iago...

But I'm out of paralogues now.

Time for Dakota to relax the "One Child" Policy, perhaps? If everyone could start having more kids, that's your gateway to EXP!

I like beastshifters in this game a lot more than in Awakening, incidentally. In my initial hard mode playthrough my Dakota!Velouria was, pardon the term, an absolute beast, very effective against meleelocked groups, and the fact that she could alter her defensive stats on the fly for optimal enemy-baiting was really handy. I've unfortunately never been able to make her that good again, and I'm not sure why.

Beastrunes were a great inclusion. If we get non-laguz beastformers back in the future, I'd love to see even wider variety in transforming stones. Say, one that boosts crit rate, and another that does magical damage. 

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

If people want it? Sure. But I'm worried the majority of my audience might have Fates fatigue at this point.

...Damn, you're right. I thought I wanted it, but now I'm realizing I'd rather see Echoes get an earlier start. Of course, it's up to you, either way!

47 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Wait, they all have Staff Savant? That sounds bonkers, and not like a good time. I thought it was unfair, just on Iago...

Just wait until endgame...

On 5/13/2021 at 11:49 AM, Alastor15243 said:

Okay, the Dakota-Ryoma duel's starting just as I've fully prepared to take on the eastern hall of death, and here's another example of one of the few things this game doesn't telegraph. It doesn't tell you how the damage reduction on the dueling floor works. There is in fact no way to know it does reduce damage, or that Ryoma won't attack right away, until well after you've finished preparation, which can be annoying.

15 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, I despite this chapter with great vitriol for precisely this reason. Because on my first playthrough of the game after well over an hour of resets trying to crawl through both sides of the level, I finally managed to take out Saizo and Kagero only for Ryoma to immediatly proc Astra and kill Corrin in one shot. Just fuck everything about that. Super pissy unfair to make something safe in one turn and then suddenly remove that safety without warning in what is meant to be the path of victory. Now I just muder Ryoma on the first handful of turns because that's way, way, way easier than dealing with the level.

I don't like it either -  it's like either "accept the fact that you're going to have to plug away at Ryoma for a while because you deal barely any damage" or "go through all the trouble to activate the Dragon Vein only for it to now be a game of Russian Roulette where you can lose if luck is not on your side". Ugh.

13 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Okay, everyone but the boss duo is dead. I'm going to try and take them both out in one turn, because vantage-vengeance has the potential to be truly nasty if I can't take him out from full to dead with, say, Mozu. Velouria took out the dark knight top layer and got an HP, strength, speed and defense level for her trouble, which is excellent.

The boss only has Nosferatu, so no Vengeance for them.