Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

Chapter 3-12 Continued

We get a master crown from Pelleas, Tauroneo gives us boots while having the audacity to call attention to how weird the entire premise of the pact is, and then we get 10,000 gold, a tomahawk, and... a little chat with Nico again. Micaiah has a speech worthy of Nohrrin (though significantly more sympathetic because she knows full well that she's only protecting her own people and isn't acting like fighting this war is the best way to save everyone), and now we're done.

I gave Aran all of the bonus experience, and managed to get him five consecutive speed levels as a result after his strength and skill both capped on the first one. He's nearly as fast as Nolan now.

...Apparently though, according to his averages, he was really screwed before this, because he's about where he should have been in terms of most of his stats even without bonus experience abuse. That is... frustrating. But he still has plenty of potential to grow, so I'm not too concerned. He'll probably cap everything by level 20/20/20 if I use him properly.

Nolan and Zihark still don't have an A rank support. That's... not ideal. But I think I can still manage this.

Yeah, this... holy shit is this a lot of enemies. But thankfully there are plenty of bottlenecks, so I can function with just a handful. But I don't get why the game is yet again letting me bring my full army. That's just a bad idea to do in principle. It gives off the feeling that the map was balanced assuming you still had everyone. It obviously wasn't, since most of your army is useless by this point, but still.

I would feel a lot better if Zihark and Nolan had that 15% extra avoid, but as long as I give them shitty weapons so they don't just keep obliterating enemies and take multiple attacks a turn... and maybe if I bring Aran in to run some defense...

Also, thankfully, the yellow units will be helping out initially.

I put pass on Jill, thinking it might be useful. It's becoming apparent I was right, due to the ridiculous concentration of enemies. This will let her do some hit and run tactics from behind enemy lines.

Okay, so I checked on Zihark and Nolan's support progress, but I really should've checked Jill and Aran's too, so I'll restart to check that.

...Nope. Which is weird because they were side by side all of last chapter.

Alright, back to business. Since most of my guys would still really prefer bonus experience, and there's no reward for keeping the yellow unis alive, I'm letting the yellow units rush in and do as much damage as they can for that pittance of bonus experience and to save my own guys from having to fight. It's not that my guys are weak or in need of training so much as they're low in number and in need of bonus exp. I've got my main four, Nolan, Zihark, Aran and Jill, holding the bottom of the slope. Aran and Nolan are in front, and Zihark and Jill are behind them, racking up support points as Jill uses pass to fly in for a quick kill and back every turn.

I was initially really scared about those pegasus knights flying up the cliff, but they're doing it in really convenient places where the yellow units can easily dispose of them.

...Except the yellow units fucked it up, some missed, the wind mage didn't even attack for some reason, and one of the pegasus knights lived to kill Leonardo, who was there because he had whiffed a 70% chance to kill one of them on the previous player phase with his Lughnasadh.

Fuck it, I'm not restarting for this guy. Enemy phases take too long. I only brought him along as a shove bot to get Micaiah over to the western cliffs sooner. I decided I might as well give Micaiah some experience in a place where she basically can't die, thanks to ledge bonuses.

Speaking of which, I got her in front of the cliffs along with Sothe by slowly rescue-dropping the archers out of the way with Tauroneo.

I get an amazingly generous HP, magic, luck and res level for Aran that buys him plenty of room to serve as a meatshield without sacrificing his future stats, and Micaiah also gets an amazing level up that boosts everything but two stats, I think magic and res... bizarrely.

Nolan, however, only gets one stat boost. Thank goodness it's speed.

I like how they mix enemy unit colors to show that this is an alliance of different armies.

The yellow units that joined my main force in defending the east have been finished off. They've served me well though. I'm nearly done here.

Micaiah gets yet another magnificent level up that feels like the game is mocking me at how impossible it's going to be to truly, properly train her.

Alright, done. Just finished off the last required enemy.

Okay, so, whoever General Maiel was, he's dead now, and we'll never know anything more.

Anyway, I have to wonder if that “oil” they're pouring is a reused sand animation I don't remember, because if they were willing to make an animation specifically for this scene, and that's what they came up with to indicate oil, yeah, not remotely impressed. It just looks like black dust.

Anyway, yeah, this is... a pretty horrifying tactic they used. At least they didn't actually set the canyon on fire, they were just using the threat of that to force Sanaki off of the ground and up into the air so they could shoot her down. But still, seeing a protagonist do that to people we know are good people is... pretty dark.

But Tibarn comes in and holds Sothe hostage to stop Micaiah's plans, and Micaiah falters. But she's still obviously forced to act like a warmongering lunatic in front of everyone, which is... oddly hilarious, in a way, seeing everyone react to Micaiah's apparent madness. But anyway, Sanaki spares them and demands that the Alliance withdraws, so they withdraw.

...They then talk about the damage the oil did to the pegasi's wings, grounding them, and... I'm confused. They have to be talking about just the oil, because if the canyon were actually set on fire and they just didn't animate it, then Sothe should be dead when he was gently lowered to the bottom of the flaming canyon. But if the oil alone were capable of grounding pegasi, then where are all of these unseen pegasi who were hit with the oil before they took to the air?

We're informed that the medallion is practically at its limit, and then... no response, it's just an abrupt scene change to Almedha using a sending stone and begging Kurthnaga to come save her son.

...There's a part of Pelleas's theme that has a similar melody to Xion's theme from Kingdom Hearts. Man that is an amazing song, so that kind of hit me more than it should have, but I do still like Pelleas's theme on its own merits, as I said before.

Right, then we get a quick scene of Zelgius breaking Sephiran out of jail, and then... the chapter ends.

...Man, I have a headache. Shitting on this game isn't as fun as it was for Sacred Stones. Seriously, I am practically begging this game to be over so I can go back to something more simple. Shadow Dragon in particular would be a goddamned breath of fresh air after this, which I can't ever imagine myself having said before doing this project.

But on the other hand...

...Okay, I'm starting to think that if I'm ever going to do the Saga games... it should be next.

Think about it: the next three games in the series are all in chronological succession, in the same setting. If I take a break between 12 and 13, I am going to miss out on some problems with 13's atrocious continuity that I would have noticed if 11 and 12 were still fresh in my mind. So it's either now, or way, way later.

I'm open to people's thoughts on when that should be.

In the meantime... Part 3 is drawing to a close. Tomorrow we'll do one of this game's two really famous defense chapters.

Stay safe, everyone.

Stay safer than Leonardo.

Edited by Alastor15243

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

...Okay, I'm starting to think that if I'm ever going to do the Saga games... it should be next.

Eyy, now you can see how PoR ripped off Kaga! (At least a little. Although IMO FE7 is the worse culprit of thiefing Kaga's ideas. Nergal=Bad ver. Guenchaos.)

40 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

But if the oil alone were capable of grounding pegasi, then were are all of these unseen pegasi who were hit with the oil before they took to the air?

Killed by the infamous executioner, Budget Limiatations! (PoR did really poorly in terms of sales, as you are likely aware-Heck, Berwick actually sold more than PoR did in japan.)

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Lekain is talking about how “the false apostle has raised an army of sub-humans to reclaim her throne” and I'm like fucking what!?

Sanaki didn't ally with the laguz alliance until the end of Chapter Ten! And Daein first became involved in this fight in Chapter Fucking Six! How is that how Lekain describes the situation to Pelleas for the first time?

The localization made an error unfortunately. Not sure what happened with the translators but the extended script makes more sense. 

Spoiler

Lekain:
“Oh, yes. That. We have a favor to ask of you, Your Majesty. As you are no doubt aware, an army of sub-humans are threatening the peace of our fair lands. We require the use of the Daein army to wipe out this upstart Laguz Alliance. Would you be so kind?”

7 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

The localization made an error unfortunately. Not sure what happened with the translators but the extended script makes more sense. 

Hide contents

Lekain:
“Oh, yes. That. We have a favor to ask of you, Your Majesty. As you are no doubt aware, an army of sub-humans are threatening the peace of our fair lands. We require the use of the Daein army to wipe out this upstart Laguz Alliance. Would you be so kind?”

That feels like the localizers had a brain fart and thought they were correcting something that the original translation actually got right because the localizers forgot when this scene must have taken place.

Maybe they had less faith in the original due to the whole "you actually fought my ghost" thing?

...Speaking of... did I ever actually talk about that?

Edited by Alastor15243

9 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

That feels like the localizers had a brain fart and thought they were correcting something that the original translation actually got right because the localizers forgot when this scene must have taken place.

Maybe they had less faith in the original due to the whole "you actually fought my ghost" thing?

...Speaking of... did I ever actually talk about that?

Your theory makes perfect sense. 

No, unfortunately you started skimping on details due to taking a break in the middle of chapter 3-7 so your commentary was incomplete in both instances. 

Edited by Icelerate

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

Your theory makes perfect sense. 

No, unfortunately you started skimping on details due to taking a break in the middle of chapter 3-7 so your commentary was incomplete in both instances. 

Yeah, I know I didn't say it there, but I know I brought it up elsewhere in this thread, though possibly not during this game. I'll have to get to that next chance I get.

As far as the whole blood pact thing goes, one of the things that I remember being annoyed by was how very out-of-nowhere it was. Even assuming that they were a new invention for Radiant Dawn that hadn't been planned in Path of Radiance, that still gives them the first half of the game where they could have laid some groundwork or dropped a few hints. They could have had blood pacts mentioned in passing alongside spirit charmers as an example of a dark bargain that is ultimately not worth it. Or they could have had some conversation about the magical bonds between a country and its leader. Or some mention of blood pacts on a much smaller scale. Or any number of other possibilities that could do something to establish them in the lore before they become a major plot point. It's been years since I played Radiant Dawn, so please do correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't remember there being even the slightest hint of a mention beforehand.

Think about it: the next three games in the series are all in chronological succession, in the same setting. If I take a break between 12 and 13, I am going to miss out on some problems with 13's atrocious continuity that I would have noticed if 11 and 12 were still fresh in my mind. So it's either now, or way, way later.

I'm open to people's thoughts on when that should be.

Personally, I'm almost entirely uninterested in the Saga games and doubt I'll bother reading them, so from a purely selfish perspective, I'd say to leave them until much later. But beyond that, from a pragmatic perspective, I think I would also say to leave them for now. You already seem to be having some burnout for this project, so in your shoes, I'd be wary of making it longer than it needs to be. If you reach the end of Three Houses and still want to carry on to the Saga games then there'd be nothing stopping you, but you could also easily call the project "done" at that point if needs be. On the other hand, if you do the Saga games now, then you're either committing to three extra games or you run the risk of stalling out before you finish the main series. Ultimately, though: do whatever you think you'll have most fun with.

For the record, I would prefer you hold off on the saga games until you've finished official Fire Emblem completely. Though, that's for purely selfish reasons as I want to play them first and have been procrastinating on that for quite a while.

Alright, so I've heard from two people who don't want me doing the saga at all during the main marathon, so... noted. If anyone disagrees, speaking up would probably be a good idea.

Radiant Dawn Day 32: Chapter 3-13

Okay, so, while I remember... Time to talk about something I forgot to mention last week: the localization changes to what happened to the Black Knight at the end of Path of Radiance.

Now, people who have played this game will know that the reason Ike was able to beat the Black Knight at the end was because right before the fight, Ike revealed to the Black Knight that Greil's sword hand was crippled before they fought. And the Black Knight, who always dreamed of surpassing his master and proving he was the superior fighter, realized he had lost his chance to fight the real Greil years ago. But he saw that Ike had the potential to one day be his father's equal and a worthy substitute for this battle, so he let Ike win, the only thing he could do to keep Ike alive.

...Simple enough. Pretty good motivation.

Even more impressive because it was entirely improvised by the localization team.

The actual, Japanese version's reason why Ike managed to beat the Black Knight was because...

...and I shit you not...

...Because Ike didn't actually fight the Black Knight at all. Just his ghost.

No shit. He actually tells Ike that his warp powder malfunctioned and only teleported his soul and his armor there, leaving his comatose body behind and sending over an animated suit of armor like Alphonse Motherfucking Elric until he was defeated and his soul could return to his body.

That is an even dumber lore ass-pull than the blood pact.

So I'm actually pretty impressed with the localization having the balls and the competence to change it to something that actually made sense and made use of information that already existed in both Radiant Dawn and their pre-existing localization of Path of Radiance. Which leaves me conflicted, because, y'know...

...There are way more localization changes for the worse than for the better in this franchise. It feels... dangerous to encourage them.

Okay. Moving on to the actual chapter.

Yeah, so, the narration talks about all the trouble the Alliance is in because they somehow felt they had to cross through Daein to get to Begnion. This was never explained. Usually the reasons for their actions are explained whenever they do something that seems sub-optimal, but now... it's pretty transparent that the writers just want the two teams to fight when they really, really don't have to.

Micaiah, unable to explain her mission to her soldiers, keeps Daein's army together through sheer force of will.”

Jesus Christ game, how could you subject us to this story arc and not have that scene? It sounds like she's now deliberately abusing her accidental cult leader status in order to keep people mindlessly obeying her so she can protect her country, and I really, really wanted to see something like that.

...Alright, so, here's the scene where Pelleas reveals the way he found to beat the blood pact: to kill him. Now, as I already explained, this doesn't work, but we don't know that yet. But if you've beaten the game, you have the option to refuse his order to kill him, and to not have Tauroneo do it either, thus sparing his life and keeping him around. This is crucial to getting the extra bonus ending, and you also get him as a playable dark mage in Part 4. He's not every good, but, still, it's fun to have one.

It's cool how they created a “passing a knife between two people” animation just for this scene.

I also like how when Pelleas apologizes to Sothe for all the trouble he's caused, Sothe's all “Don't worry about that now, Pelleas”, as if he's saying “dude, you're giving your life to save your country. Apologies would be redundant. You've earned the right to not have guilt.”

But anyway, Micaiah pushes Pelleas out of the way and nearly takes the killing blow herself.

Yeah, this feels like a line was missing here:

Micaiah: You must stop running, your majesty.

Pelleas: Wha--!

Micaiah: But what if your information is incorrect, your majesty?

Anyway, she convinces him to stick around so they can figure out if that's actually the way. It's too final of an action to do on a hunch.

Anyway, I bonus XP'd Aran up to level 20, and now he has capped HP, Strength, Skill and Defense, as well as 25 speed, 23 luck, and 13 resistance. Pretty dang good! Using bonus experience on Aran is always fun. If only he weren't such a one-trick pony until you do.

Anyway, I manage to get our support pairs to the next level, meaning that Nolan and Zihark are capped and Jill and Aran are at B.

Zihark's gonna hold back on this battle as much as he can, since he's also in prime bonus exp territory now too. Nolan's gonna be doing most of the work if possible, as well as Aran and Jill, who won't be needing bonus experience any time soon.

Anyway, the info conversation gets us a sleep staff in a funny little scene between Aran and Laura where Laura accidentally sends Aran snoozing.

Alright, with that out of the way, let's check out what preparations are gonna be like so we can... y'know... prepare.

Ah yes. Oh yes. Holy shit.

It's time, boys.

It's time for the meme legend of this game himself.

The 3-13 archer.

For those of you who don't know, he's the sniper on the ballista to the northwest, and...

...Well, honestly, I've never remembered seeing him in action either, so let's check him out firsthand. All we have to do is leave the AI on roam, and... well, we'll see.

Alright, anyway, back to base, looks like there's a physic in the shop, so we'll be getting that. There's also a blizzard for dirt cheap, might as well get that for Soren later.

Alright, so, that's everything.

The main issue here is that we just do not have enough units to defend everything. We'll need to adapt and be careful. We'll also be relying on ledge advantage and the complete lack of ranged attacks among the mooks of this army to let the trio of totally useless units, Meg, Fiona and Edward, block those three ledges on the top platform we need to protect.

Other than that... I'll just have to see how it turns out.

Begin.

...No, wait, shit, forgot Tauroneo's here. Gotta arm him because I took all of his cool shit in Part 1 before he left.

Alright, ready.

...PHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

BEATING IKE IS ACTUALLY AN OPTIONAL VICTORY CONDITION HERE!

Is that even possible? I mean maybe on easy mode, but, like, seriously? Maybe if you deliberately didn't train Ike at all, but...

Anyway, 3-13 archer took out the western hawk laguz, just like I was counting on. But apparently he does something incredibly badass if you keep the yellow AI on roam.

Keeping the yellow units alive is a lost cause. None of them have healing items, and only one of the bishops has a physic staff. I'm gonna let them fight as long as they can, mostly because I don't have the manpower to defend this place without them, and hope I get some good bonus exp from it.

This apparently counts as an indoor map that reduces Jill's movement by 2. That is... frustrating, because it wasn't immediately obvious and it fucked up some of my canto tactics until I figured out what was going on when it happened the second time.

Alright, we've been making good progress! Nolan got some fantastic level ups, and Aran just got the one level he needed to promote! He is now a sentinel, and is actually the second-fastest unit in my army! Bonus experience abuse is amazing!

The yellow units did something I initially thought was hilariously suicidal, but actually since they wound up blocking all the ledge spots in doing it, the healer's decision to move to the front lines didn't get him killed after all!

...Still though, it's bound to get him killed eventually, so I had him retreat back behind enemy lines with a quick rescue-drop.

I'm on turn 7 now. Nolan's at level 18, and since he has paragon, I'm hoping to get him promoted by the end of this, what with him able to one-round all enemies but the tigers now. They just spawn in the bottom right corner and unmake themselves upon him.

...Oh yes. This is it. This is the moment. 3-13 archer is out of ammunition. He has no more shots. And what should he see, but two cats and a tiger showing up beneath the ledge to the west of him. What does he do? What does this crazy son of a bitch do?

He fucking jumps right into the lion pit, taking on all three of them at once, buying you precious time to protect the line!

...Pity it's ruined because two of them attack the bishop up on the ledge instead, but still!

Anyway, I have Sothe move in to block the one open space past the line that these three yellow units are seemingly deliberately leaving open, and now we just need to survive three more turns as things completely go to shit.

Alright, looks like the Greil mercenaries are gonna show up soon. Looks like the “bronze weapon” thing I did wasn't as crucial as I thought; it's just Soren and Ike for the first 10 of 12 turns.

Alright, it's the 11th turn, and now they've shown up. They have exactly two enemy phases to get all the way over here and fuck our shit up. I think we'll be okay.

Nolan just reached level 20, and without any bonus experience abuse, he capped magic, speed, defense and resistance. Man, it's nice I at least had one unit like this.

And now he's promoted! Wooo! Two in one chapter! Now I've only got two guys left to promote, and hopefully I can use my treasure trove of bonus exp on them!

...And now Ike's started moving. Hilariously enough, Aran can take him now. Ike can't double him, and couldn't one-round him even if he could. I have to assume the Greil mercenaries are more dangerous in hard mode. Maybe you have to last slightly longer after they arrive. But here, they're no issue at all. I've won.

I liked this chapter. While it didn't accomplish it quite as much as I liked, it still managed to make me feel like I was fighting a losing battle and trying to prolong my defeat for as long as I could.

Anyway, apparently all the non-main-character laguz are going completely nuts with the high of “battlefield chaos” and are becoming murderous animals. So yeah, it looks like Micaiah's fucked. They're about to break through the walls, and Micaiah is about to be torn apart by crazed cats unless Skrimir can get them under control, and good luck with that. But then, when all hope is lost...

...Enter Kurthnaga. Who at least in this cutscene, is strong enough to blast clean through a castle tower with a single breath of black fire, and it's so terrifying that even Tibarn doesn't want to fight him.

And then Nailah and Rafiel come in too (after dodging several attacks from Daein soldiers who apparently didn't hear about the wolf laguz who fought beside Micaiah to reclaim the capital), and they hear her out.

Anyway, we get a scene with Elincia talking with Ike about Bastian's disappearance, and... holy shit, apparently the yellow army got 2095 total experience in this battle! Nice! With that, the clear bonus, and the incoming trove of BExp coming my way when we all unite in Part 4, I should definitely have enough bonus experience to do some serious hardcore upgrades next time I can use these guys.

But that'll have to wait for two days from now, because tomorrow, we finish Part 3.

Stay safe, everyone!

Is that even possible? I mean maybe on easy mode, but, like, seriously? Maybe if you deliberately didn't train Ike at all, but...

Unless you go out of your way to massively favour someone, I highly doubt it. Especially since most of who you have here hits defense instead of his shit resistance.

6 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

It is actually, I've seen it done.

The most surefire way is to take advantage of his crappy res, sleep staff him, then Purge him. Or if you're feeling really brave, Jill does a pretty good job of whittling him down. But the sleep staff is rather crucial to this.

10 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

The most surefire way is to take advantage of his crappy res, sleep staff him, then Purge him. Or if you're feeling really brave, Jill does a pretty good job of whittling him down. But the sleep staff is rather crucial to this.

Given that Micaiah is stuck in the top, where she cannot reach Ike... that only leaves Laura, who, admittedly, can do great damage - but that's a tall order in and of itself because she not only needs to promote first, she needs to get B in Light when she only starts at E.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Given that Micaiah is stuck in the top, where she cannot reach Ike... that only leaves Laura, who, admittedly, can do great damage - but that's a tall order in and of itself because she not only needs to promote first, she needs to get B in Light when she only starts at E.

... Ike moves. Right into Micaiah's range. Now admittedly Laura should be the one using the sleep staff (so you can put him to sleep and attack in the same turn) but that's not difficult.

On 9/14/2020 at 12:50 PM, Alastor15243 said:

But now we're trying to petition permission to enter Begnion through Daein, and I'm like fucking what!?

You already have a fucking border with Begnion, and it's guarded by a fort that, as Ike very correctly pointed out, this army already has experience taking down! And if you go in through Crimea, then should you get overwhelmed again and, god forbid, have to retreat, your retreat path will not be through demonstrably hostile territory!

Clearly trying to pull a Germany invading Belgium to avoid France's (or in this Begnion's) line of forts on their border.

On 9/14/2020 at 12:52 PM, Alastor15243 said:

...Man, I have a headache. Shitting on this game isn't as fun as it was for Sacred Stones. Seriously, I am practically begging this game to be over so I can go back to something more simple. Shadow Dragon in particular would be a goddamned breath of fresh air after this, which I can't ever imagine myself having said before doing this project.

I get what you mean. There are so many moments where RD shows so much promise and potential, so finding and pointing out where they messed it up fills me with so much disappointment.

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Alright, so I've heard from two people who don't want me doing the saga at all during the main marathon, so... noted. If anyone disagrees, speaking up would probably be a good idea.

I do want you to play the Kaga Saga games, and if that is when you want to play them, that is fine. I do see the logic in keeping all the Archanea games together like that. Meant to respond yesterday, but on Sunday I got a first glimpse of the empty burned out husk of house I was raised in, and realizing that most of my childhood went up in smoke, and the mood that left me in has made me more passive than I usually am. This really has been the worst year in living memory.

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...Because Ike didn't actually fight the Black Knight at all. Just his ghost.

No shit. He actually tells Ike that his warp powder malfunctioned and only teleported his soul and his armor there, leaving his comatose body behind and sending over an animated suit of armor like Alphonse Motherfucking Elric until he was defeated and his soul could return to his body.

That is an even dumber lore ass-pull than the blood pact.

This is one of the dumbest explanations I have ever seen...

57 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

From what I remember if Ike heads straight ahead, he should get into the edge of Micaiah's purge range on the last turn. They even have a rarely seen battle quote as well...

36 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

... Ike moves. Right into Micaiah's range. Now admittedly Laura should be the one using the sleep staff (so you can put him to sleep and attack in the same turn) but that's not difficult.

18 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

From what I remember if Ike heads straight ahead, he should get into the edge of Micaiah's purge range on the last turn. They even have a rarely seen battle quote as well...

That's IF Ike goes straight ahead (or if he had Celerity), and I tend to not trust the AI to do what I want them to do, because chances are they won't (and don't). Even if it's the enemy AI.

@Silver-Haired MaidenThat still leaves a good chunk of damage to be dealt by physical units - good luck with that, especially since Ike will have Ragnell equipped at that point, if he didn't already.

Edited by Shadow Mir

16 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I do want you to play the Kaga Saga games, and if that is when you want to play them, that is fine. I do see the logic in keeping all the Archanea games together like that. Meant to respond yesterday, but on Sunday I got a first glimpse of the empty burned out husk of house I was raised in, and realizing that most of my childhood went up in smoke, and the mood that left me in has made me more passive than I usually am. This really has been the worst year in living memory.

Christ. I'm sorry, El. This year really has been shit for everyone. I wish you the best of luck. That goes for everyone here, and everyone who eventually sees this. Stay strong.

56 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

but on Sunday I got a first glimpse of the empty burned out husk of house I was raised in, and realizing that most of my childhood went up in smoke, and the mood that left me in has made me more passive than I usually am. This really has been the worst year in living memory.

Oh god...I'm so sorry... I really hope things get better for you.

8 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I did it, actually! And I really suck at FE. Assuming you have sleep, he is not that tricky if you raised Aran, (which you did.)

2 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I've heard tale of someone getting Volug to do the job on a 0% growths run. Though now that I say it out loud that would mean a weaker Ike too. Still though if base Volug can beat base Ike then a trained Volug could maybe beat a trained Ike. And as our OP has indicated, he probably could have done it with Aran with a little more planning.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I've heard tale of someone getting Volug to do the job on a 0% growths run. Though now that I say it out loud that would mean a weaker Ike too. Still though if base Volug can beat base Ike then a trained Volug could maybe beat a trained Ike. And as our OP has indicated, he probably could have done it with Aran with a little more planning.

Yeah, it definitely seemed crazier before the time actually came. I think I could have managed it if I were to try it again.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Clearly trying to pull a Germany invading Belgium to avoid France's (or in this Begnion's) line of forts on their border.

I also thought it contrived how the Apostle's Army marches through Daein but a couple of weeks ago, I was looking deeper at the Tellius map and it seems like the distance from Oribes Bridge to central Begnion would be a lot closer when cutting through Daein than going all the way back to the Crimean-Begnion border. The Allaince would have to retake Flaguerre and Mugil, then go through Serenes Forest and risk its destruction without the element of surprise. Then they have to retake Telgam. From Telgam, they have to cross Ribahn River and take Seliora. On the other hand, if they go through Daein, they can cut right to central Begnion and can skip having to retake three forts prior to crossing the river and they don't have to cross the river either if they go through Daein to reach central Begnion. However, the game didn't bother explaining this so I'm not going to give credit to the game's writing when it usually does a good job in explaining what the army is doing and why. 

Edited by Icelerate

I also thought it contrived how the Apostle's Army marches through Daein but a week ago, I was looking deeper at the Tellius map and it seems like the distance from Oribes Bridge to central Begnion would be a lot closer than going all the way back to Flaguerre and Mugil. After Flaguerre and Mugil, they have to go through Serenes Forest and all the way to Telgam. From Telgam, they have to cross Ribahn River and take Seliora. On the other hand, if they go through Daein, they can cut go right to central Begnion and can skip having to retake three forts prior to crossing the river and they don't have to cross the river either if they go through Daein to reach central Begnion. However, the game didn't bother explaining this so I'm not going to give credit to the game's writing when it usually does a good job in explaining what the army is doing and why. 

Also, the game doesn't explain why the hell we had to face off with Daein at the bridge in the first place to get them so far away from Flaguerre. If we can ignore the threat of attack from our border with Begnion, why can't we ignore the threat of attack from our border with Daein?

Just now, Alastor15243 said:

Also, the game doesn't explain why the hell we had to face off with Daein at the bridge in the first place to get them so far away from Flaguerre. If we can ignore the threat of attack from our border with Begnion, why can't we ignore the threat of attack from our border with Daein?

I think they thought that Daein is a weaker threat so they wanted to subdue Daein quickly and then move on to the stronger Begnion army. But I would have liked a strategy meeting to explain this. What happened to Soren? He barely speaks after the Apostle's Army is formed and I think some of these details that we're speculating would have been better told in the story. For some reason, they do a good job in the first half of part 3 but for some reason start being lazy in the last third of part 3. It's like an inverse of part one where they did a lazy job of explaining the plans in the beginning of part one but improved in the second half. 

I think they thought that Daein is a weaker threat so they wanted to subdue Daein quickly and then move on to the stronger Begnion army. But I would have liked a strategy meeting to explain this. What happened to Soren? He barely speaks after the Apostle's Army is formed and I think some of these details that we're speculating would have been better told in the story. For some reason, they do a good job in the first half of part 3 but for some reason start being lazy in the last third of part 3. It's like an inverse of part one where they did a lazy job of explaining the plans in the beginning of part one but improved in the second half. 

Yeah, I've definitely been feeling Soren's absence here, that much is certain.

2 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I also thought it contrived how the Apostle's Army marches through Daein but a couple of weeks ago, I was looking deeper at the Tellius map and it seems like the distance from Oribes Bridge to central Begnion would be a lot closer when cutting through Daein than going all the way back to the Crimean-Begnion border. The Allaince would have to retake Flaguerre and Mugil, then go through Serenes Forest and risk its destruction without the element of surprise. Then they have to retake Telgam. From Telgam, they have to cross Ribahn River and take Seliora. On the other hand, if they go through Daein, they can cut right to central Begnion and can skip having to retake three forts prior to crossing the river and they don't have to cross the river either if they go through Daein to reach central Begnion. However, the game didn't bother explaining this so I'm not going to give credit to the game's writing when it usually does a good job in explaining what the army is doing and why. 

Also they did say that Daein made a feint attack into Crimeia, right? They can't exactly ignore that in favor of a potential Begnion invasion. And once they're located at the border proceeding forward and eliminating the threat is wiser. I assume the reason for the feint attack from Daein was ordered from Begnion who specifically wanted to have Apostle Army and Daein slaughter themselves on each other to spare their own troops. Though a reference to Begnion crossing across into Crimeia on their border while the conflict with Daein going on would have been pretty great. It would have showed that despite Daein being on the back foot, Ike and co aren't doing too hot themselves in the larger scope of things and that taking out Micaiah quickly is a priority. Plus it would cost basically nothing to have a Begnion invade Crimeia at this stage given rocks fall and everyone dies anyway in the next chapter.