Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I didn't know you could use the GC controller for RD. The wiimote was always fine for me though, and I'm looking forward to using it. But anyway, I'll check doing that next time I see a ballista to be absolutely sure, but I'm 95% positive I already tried that.

I always used the Wii Mote playing Radiant Dawn, but my preference was always vertical wii mote able to hold in one hand instead of the horizontal alignment, which is the default. Makes going into the save file when you first boot up the game a bit irritating. Wish they saved certain settings like that between resets of the game (it's retained if you exist the save file that has the settings changed, so it's just on boot up things are different).

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

That is another really frustrating aspect of this decision I have to make. What would you recommend?

Not sure on Radiant Dawn, I do like the hard mode even if I acknowledge they made some pretty stupid decisions for it. I don't think Lunatic+ would be fun for anyone though and would probably destroy any Iron Man chances.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Not sure on Radiant Dawn, I do like the hard mode even if I acknowledge they made some pretty stupid decisions for it. I don't think Lunatic+ would be fun for anyone though and would probably destroy any Iron Man chances.

Any other takes on this? I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on it, and it's going to become relevant really soon.

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I mean, that's the thing: how fairly can I assess the game's difficulty ranking if I don't play the hardest mode? It kinda seems to me like I have to.

You really shouldn't. I personally think that you should play a game in its best difficulty-Playing FE13 in Lunatic+ or FE16 in Maddening would really ruin them-As would H5 in FE11, to some extent. These games weren't designed around these modes and for both the benefit of their scores and your sanity, you shouldn't play 'em that way.

12 minutes ago, Benice said:

You really shouldn't. I personally think that you should play a game in its best difficulty-Playing FE13 in Lunatic+ or FE16 in Maddening would really ruin them-As would H5 in FE11, to some extent. These games weren't designed around these modes and for both the benefit of their scores and your sanity, you shouldn't play 'em that way.

That's the issue though: I'd be judging what difficulties are good or bad without playing them, and then possibly marking games down for being too easy because I'm not playing the modes they actually intended to be hard. What consistent rule or standard am I supposed to apply here to determine if a difficulty is just completely right-out unacceptable for the purposes of this marathon?

51 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Any other takes on this? I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on it, and it's going to become relevant really soon.

I would avoid Lunatic+ like the plague it is. For that matter, I'd stay away from RD hard mode because it's just poorly designed in general.

Have been reading for the past week or so and i think a good guideline would be to play the difficulty that says something like recommended for Fire Emblem series veterans and avoid any that require you to beat the game at least once to unlock if they are giving bad recommendations for what are good difficulties to play that is on the game.

Also if you are still looking for ways to put more weight on game-play for scoring it you could split ironmanability in to 2 categories 1 the honor/blind friendliness which would cover not just ambush reinforcements but also getting one shot out of fog of war or any major reinforcement waves that completely change the map on an individual map basis but also on a larger scale of are there trap chars that seem like are worth using when you get them but end up just being xp wastes or do important weapons suddenly stop being sold in shops without warning or are sub objectives hard to tell identify or unclear map gimmicks.  Then have a 2nd category that focus on just ironmanability after you have beaten a game 1 or 2 times and focuses on what happens if you make mistake does someone just get oneshot or do they take 60%-80% of their hp and you have to then scramble to to adjust to that as well as how deep are is your bench to take losses or just deep enough that you adjust your army by a char or 3 to adjust to your play style or how long/hard does it take to get some one off the bench and able to help out with out babying them and are there a bunch of one offs/very rare items and weapons that you have on active team most of the time that you really want to keep and someone dieing while holding them is a disaster.

Edit: for honor/blindness how clear are recruitments and how consistent are they and how often do you of needed to do something on 1 or more earlier levels to get someone on a later level and for ironman how easy is it to lose someone just to bad luck because of a miss/unluckly sub 10% crit that you cant do anything about.

Edited by Ferzard

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Sure, playing on anything other than the highest difficulty setting might unfairly hurt the difficulty score you give in the end, but at the same time, if you do play on highest difficulty then that might unfairly hurt the score you give for balance, usability or ironmanability. Unless you play through every difficulty setting -- which would be a terrible idea -- then you're always going to end up with a somewhat skewed perspective, whichever way you go.

I'd say to go with whatever difficulty setting a. seems like the most fun to you and b. is most likely to be representative of the experience of an average Fire Emblem fan playing the game. Which, in both cases, is probably going to avoid hard-for-hard's-sake difficulty.

Path of Radiance Day 22: Chapter 24

I wonder what the fuck the resolution of this world map is. They zoom in on it pretty massively and I still can't see pixels when it's been blown up to the size of a decently-sized TV screen. Has the full resolution map ever been put online?

...Looks like there'll be ballistae for this next map. So I'll be able to double-check if you can check ballista stats, but I'm almost positive I tried that.

Lucia describes the resistance movement disguising themselves as merchants or peasants, and yep, I can just picture the brown tarps now.

I like this talk between Elincia and Lucia though. You really get the sense that she's reuniting with old friends with which she has a history.

Yep, so, no congratulatory “no casualties” message this time. Just Ike closing his eyes in shame and saying “...I see.”

Info conversation with Makalov and Marcia. Yeah, honestly, I don't blame people for hating Makalov. Everything about him is just so... pathetic. From his cowardice, to his constant broken promises, to his gambling, to his casual exploitation of anyone he can... when a character gets like that, they've gotta be amusing. And if you don't find them amusing... holy shit.

...I do find it interesting how much inheriting the same hair as his sister adds to that “useless fuckwit” look of his though. It's kind of hilarious whenever they have the brothers of pink-haired girls in this series also have pink hair. They always seem to not even be trying to make that look work for them, and settle on making them look pathetic and have the pink hair accentuate their lack of any masculinity at all. It happened with Lena's brother, and now it's happened with Makalov. I'd like to see them at least try to make a pink-haired badass sometime though. I imagine a guy could have pink hair and still look cool, with the right... everything else. I'll have to look at what some of the children in Fates look like with Felicia as their mom.

...I think this conversation just glitched out. Makalov's portrait is going around to different positions and Ike's just constantly mouthing to himself in the faded-out background.

So we finally get Jill and Lethe's A support. It's... okay, I guess. Jill has earned Lethe's respect due to her resolve to do what's right even at the cost of siding against her own father. But I dunno... it doesn't feel like a satisfying end to this support conversation. Too many loose ends.

But we also get Tanith and Oscar's B support. In which, in the very first line, the word “led”, as in the past-tense of “lead”... is mis-spelled as “lead”.

Tanith, I must say, the charge you lead the other day was spectacular.”

I was so surprised by this I even looked it up to check, and yes, in fact, it is wrong. There is no alternate spelling of led that can apply here. Lead isn't like read. You don't spell the past tense the same way as the present tense.

It's an okay support though. Interesting bit of worldbuilding about the pegasus knights, but I have to ask, what the fuck kind of strategy do you have when it depends on you outnumbering the foe? That's a terrible thing to be relying on! I mean, they acknowledge that she has to learn to adapt, but they make it sound like it was perfectly wise and sensible before going on this campaign and having fewer troops at her command.

...Just read their A support though. Pretty cute. Especially the part about her asking for cooking lessons. It almost sounds like it's teasing at a relationship, but... far as I know, Oscar doesn't have any canon pairings. Hell, very few characters in Tellius do.

I gave Zihark another forged sword, one with a crit boost, and I called it the Double Lion.

Since I'm not saving the arms scrolls for any transfer bonuses, I decided to give them both to Mist so that she could use the sonic sword. That way, in absolute emergencies, she can defend herself or take out a dangerous enemy.

Anyway, just as Elincia is getting ready to approach Delbray castle, Daein finally finds them and attacks, meaning we need to get to the castle to protect it before Geoffrey gets killed.

...But oh right, that wasn't what her retainers intended. They wanted to let Geoffrey serve as a decoy so Elincia could escape, but Elincia's having none of that.

Yep, this is the “Bastian! You must not do this thing!” line I remember. But yeah, Lucia feels... hilariously casual about leaving her own brother to die.

So the enemy's found us, eh? Nothing to do about it but change course. I'll lead you to another hiding place.”

SERIOUSLY?

But Ike shuts them the fuck up and tells them they're doing what Elincia says and rescuing Geoffrey and the other knights.

Oh Jesus Christ I remember this map. So many fucking enemies. No big deal for any of my tough units like Jill, Oscar and Ike, but for anyone else... woooow. Yeah, these games are enemy-phase central.

Thankfully, We just need to get Ike and Oscar to cut through this crowd to save Geoffrey. Everyone else can play it safe.

But at any rate... yeah, unfortunately, most of the laguz in the game just aren't holding up in terms of power level. They don't have enough of a power advantage over beorc in order to justify being meleelocked and only usable half the time.

Also, just confirmed: Pressing Y on ballistae does nothing, at least not during battle prep.

...And it also does nothing after battle prep, a battle prep which wasn't noteworthy enough to mention much of.

Anyway, the massive number of enemies I have to highlight when moving my squishier units is almost giving me a panic attack, because I have to do it every turn if I want to know exactly what enemy ranges to watch out for, and every time I do, I risk repeating that mistake of last chapter that cost Reyson his life.

...This map is letting me zoom out more than I remember being usually possible. Do outdoor maps let you zoom out further or something?

Aaaanyway, okay, so, between this paragraph and that last I went to do some errands, and as I prepare to deal with a bunch of charging enemies with my air force and the Earth Affinity Bros, I think about something that I thought about after re-reading the script from a previous chapter.

Does the game ever say if King Ashnard is actually racist, or if he's just exploiting his country's racism as the best way to start a war? No question that he's evil, but does he actually harbor any specific malice towards laguz? From what I remember off the top of my head, the answer seems to be “no”. In fact, his entire political philosophy, though I don't know if anyone explicitly points this out in-universe, seems to heavily borrow from that of the laguz, namely the whole “if you're strong enough, the circumstances of your birth should not bar you from greatness” thing.

I mean, obviously he doesn't have to say racist things to be a racist. Actions speak louder than words after all. And obviously said actions involve doing atrocious things to laguz, there can be no doubt about that. But do we really get the impression that he wouldn't do the same horrible things to beorc if it were convenient to do so, and if he could do it while still securing the cooperation of his army? I mean, okay, lemme put it this way: Is there really a moral distinction between the feral drug he's used so extensively and, say... creating demonic beasts? In both cases people are driving sapient beings into insanity and training them like animals to exploit their extreme power in war. Do you really get the impression that Ashnard wouldn't make demonic beasts if the means were presented to him? If Ashnard, Daein and the Laguz were all transplanted into Fodlan, I'm pretty positive his army would have feral ones and demonic beasts.

...And he'd probably also try creating demonic beasts out of laguz as well.

It's a really weird thing to think about, taking a batshit insane psychopath and then trying to figure out whether or not you can fit racism into his massive laundry list of flaws, but... fuck it, character analysis is fun!

But that's something I'll have to talk about later once we see more of his dialogue and pay attention to it.

So, I wound up having to retreat a bit with everyone but Oscar, Ike and Zihark (who can surprisingly do really well on enemy-phase against these enemies thanks to their low power) because a player-phase strike with a bunch of fliers just won't work with these ballistae I can't see the stats of.

I also have to remember this is where the Black Knight shows up towards the bottom of the map, and for all I know, he's an ambush spawn too.

Progress towards the castle is swift, but so is the enemy's approach, and I'm worried I won't have time to milk this.

...I think I should be able to manage. Good thing too, because there are villages to visit.

...But these ballistae are really fucking up my army, since I only have two units who can enemy-phase tank and aren't fliers. I may have to split up Oscar and Ike in order to take out the eastern ballista in a timely fashion and get the southern village.

It's kind of ridiculous how much better than Lethe Ranulf is. Only 3 levels higher and yet his strength, defense, skill and speed all vastly outclass her. It's insane.

Anyway, we run into the boss, who seems to find the idea of fighting the general who wiped the floor with Petrine to be an exciting challenge.

He also seems to be an idiot, more concerned with the fact that Ike beat Petrine than the fact that Ike beat his whole country. And he'll be dead soon. But not too soon. He's got parity, so no one-rounding with aether for me, and that elixir he has should keep him alive for a little while.

And one of the villages gives us a savior scroll, which makes you immune to stat penalties when rescuing someone. Man, imagine if that was in Thracia.

...Aaaaand the boss has started rushing Geoffrey. Hopefully my air force will make it in time to save him, because he made a terrifying first impression in this fight against the green unis by critting one to death.

The other village, which I just reached with Ike, had Nihil. One of my favorite skills in Radiant Dawn, but here... I don't know how useful it really is, especially with such limited skill points.

Ike just hit 22 defense and 48 HP at level 14. He has 6 levels left to gain 2 more defense if he wants to cap that without boosters (trivial) and gain 5 HP if he wants to cap that with only one stat booster. Now that...

...Should actually be doable with a +5% HP weapon instead of a -5% HP weapon. Right now his gain is at 75% with the silver sword and soldier band canceling each other out, which means every level he gets 25 points closer to his next failure to gain a hit point. If I change that to 85% by switching the silver sword to the steel sword, that means he'd only get 15% closer each level, which would make whiffing two times in six levels pretty much impossible, no matter how close he is to whiffing the next one right now.

Guess I'm giving him steel weapons after all, then, because right now he's on track to cap defense no matter what, and only HP is in question.

But that'll have to wait until tomorrow, because I'm done here now.

We recruit Geoffrey, and Bastian continues to be absolutely terrible at iambic pentameter. I think he got less 50% of those verses right. If they ever fully voice act this game and try to actually have him stress those syllables, like I said, he's gonna sound like Captain Kirk having a stroke.

And now... we get the scene. We get the scene that reveals that only weapons blessed by “the goddess” can damage armor blessed by “the goddess”.

Okay, two things:

1: I remember there was some big argument in another thread I took part in where people argued that BK's armor was blessed by Yune, not Ashera, and... ugh, something about someone arguing that weapons blessed by Ashera couldn't pierce Ashera's own protective blessings. But that's pretty resoundingly debunked here, if BK is telling the truth. Ashera blessed this armor. And presumably Ashnard's armor. For what purpose, I have no conceivable idea, especially since Altina clearly didn't wear any such armor, but... that seems to be the fact of the matter.

2: This is where Ike reveals that he had Ragnell the whole fucking time. Initially as a kid I remembered this conversation, and BK's line of “Tell me you were not idiot enough to leave it in that place”, to mean that Ike was in fact idiot enough to leave it in that place, due to it being the last thing on his mind at the time and not knowing its importance, and that now that he's back in Crimea, he goes to grab it offscreen so he can have it in time for his rematch with the Black Knight. But no. As the next chapter will clarify, Ike did indeed take it. He just had it... the whole fucking time... and never let anyone fucking use it.

And since I already ranted ages ago about how fucking stupid that is... I'll leave off there.

Stay safe, everyone.

Edited by Alastor15243

19 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

It's an okay support though. Interesting bit of worldbuilding about the pegasus knights, but I have to ask, what the fuck kind of strategy do you have when it depends on you outnumbering the foe? That's a terrible thing to be relying on! I mean, they acknowledge that she has to learn to adapt, but they make it sound like it was perfectly wise and sensible before going on this campaign and having fewer troops at her command.

In fairness, this is Begnion we're talking about here. They're mostly going to be fighting against, what? Malcontents and bandits, and an occasional border skirmish against Daein? Whereas they are the military of the largest and strongest country in the known world. They probably have a numerical advantage in most of their fights, so the best tactics would be whichever ones best took advantage of this in order to minimise losses.

24 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Does the game ever say if King Ashnard is actually racist, or if he's just exploiting his country's racism as the best way to start a war? No question that he's evil, but does he actually harbor any specific malice towards laguz? From what I remember off the top of my head, the answer seems to be “no”. In fact, his entire political philosophy, though I don't know if anyone explicitly points this out in-universe, seems to heavily borrow from that of the laguz, namely the whole “if you're strong enough, the circumstances of your birth should not bar you from greatness” thing.

I'm pretty sure he calls them sub-humans or half-breeds or other slurs along those lines. So he's either at least casually racist or he's really committed to the role of pretending to be.

2 minutes ago, lenticular said:

I'm pretty sure he calls them sub-humans or half-breeds or other slurs along those lines. So he's either at least casually racist or he's really committed to the role of pretending to be.

Noted. I'll keep an eye out for that.

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

It kinda sounds like you want to play Radiant Dawn Hard, but how to deal with balancing the difficulty and usability rating, I am probably as conflicted as you are. There should be some way to find a reasonable balancing for them but I am not quite sure how.

For the difficulties you should play games after Tellius it depends on how familiar you are with the difficulty and game. If you know the game and difficulty level well enough you can find ways to trivialize them (or at least make them manageable, as I am not certain there is a way to break FE12 Lunatic Reverse as easily as the others), but if not you might hit certain points where you have multiple days of failing the same map repeatedly.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...Just read their A support though. Pretty cute. Especially the part about her asking for cooking lessons. It almost sounds like it's teasing at a relationship, but... far as I know, Oscar doesn't have any canon pairings. Hell, very few characters in Tellius do.

Yeah Tanith x Oscar is utterly charming, and should have become a canon ending pairing.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I mean, obviously he doesn't have to say racist things to be a racist. Actions speak louder than words after all. And obviously said actions involve doing atrocious things to laguz, there can be no doubt about that. But do we really get the impression that he wouldn't do the same horrible things to beorc if it were convenient to do so, and if he could do it while still securing the cooperation of his army? I mean, okay, lemme put it this way: Is there really a moral distinction between the feral drug he's used so extensively and, say... creating demonic beasts? In both cases people are driving sapient beings into insanity and training them like animals to exploit their extreme power in war. Do you really get the impression that Ashnard wouldn't make demonic beasts if the means were presented to him? If Ashnard, Daein and the Laguz were all transplanted into Fodlan, I'm pretty positive his army would have feral ones and demonic beasts.

I will point out the feral serum was used to create Bertram, so he has already tried to experiment with making monster humans, it just wasn't as effective as using it on Laguz.

13 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

It kinda sounds like you want to play Radiant Dawn Hard, but how to deal with balancing the difficulty and usability rating, I am probably as conflicted as you are. There should be some way to find a reasonable balancing for them but I am not quite sure how.

For the difficulties you should play games after Tellius it depends on how familiar you are with the difficulty and game. If you know the game and difficulty level well enough you can find ways to trivialize them (or at least make them manageable, as I am not certain there is a way to break FE12 Lunatic Reverse as easily as the others), but if not you might hit certain points where you have multiple days of failing the same map repeatedly.

I'll take that under advisement, EK. I appreciate it.

For everyone else, heads up: there's a poll now!

11 hours ago, Ferzard said:

Have been reading for the past week or so and i think a good guideline would be to play the difficulty that says something like recommended for Fire Emblem series veterans and avoid any that require you to beat the game at least once to unlock if they are giving bad recommendations for what are good difficulties to play that is on the game.

Problem with that one is that all difficulty modes require you beating normal in Shadow Dragon. And playing on the easiest difficulty there is a bit too easy (though I would like to see a playthrough of the prologue for the sake of content. I guess the hack that makes the gaidens playable is a possibility too, as is slaughtering your entire army to get them normally).

10 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I imagine a guy could have pink hair and still look cool, with the right... everything else. I'll have to look at what some of the children in Fates look like with Felicia as their mom.

I present to you, Mikage

Souji Mikage (Shoujo Kakumei Utena) - MyAnimeList.net

10 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

For what it's worth he seems pretty respectful towards any random laguz he fights, praising their strength and encouraging them to fight with more anger and hate to provide him a better challenge. But by far the most revealing battle convo he has is the suicidal one if you have him attack Reyson where he does specifically say that in the world he wants who is human and sub-human would not matter. So yeah, he's throwing out the sub-human slur, but it seems that's more based on it just being the cultural thing laguz are called where he's from. His actual philosophy has no issue with the existence of laguz and they would be treated equally in his world.

Edited by Jotari

Alright guys, I think I'm going to try taking one of those "break" things, even if just a small one. Both to see if it changes anything about how I handle this, and in order to make sure that Path of Radiance finishes on a Friday like usual, I'll be taking the rest of this week off and starting back up on Monday, since there are exactly 5 chapters left. Sorry for the abrupt short notice! That poll's gonna stay up until I finish Path of Radiance, and also, please, if you have any questions at all, about literally anything that's happened at any point in the marathon, please don't hesitate to ask! I'll still be happy to talk!

So yeah, I guess for the next 5 days or so, this'll be an AMA.

Edited by Alastor15243

4 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

What is the highest difficulty you have played FE11, and FE12?

I can't remember for FE12, but for FE11, I think I beat it on Hard 1 before, and I know I managed to get like half a dozen chapters in trying out Hard 5 due to sheer trial and error.

2 hours ago, Rose482 said:

Why are people telling you to play RD on Hard mode? I strongly don't recommend doing that at all. 

It's a question of what I need to do to fairly assess the game's difficulty ranking, as opposed to how I can best fairly assess other things like ironmannability and usability. Can I or can't I assess the game's difficulty without playing the hardest mode? It's a tricky question.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

It's a question of what I need to do to fairly assess the game's difficulty ranking, as opposed to how I can best fairly assess other things like ironmannability and usability. Can I or can't I assess the game's difficulty without playing the hardest mode? It's a tricky question.

I believe Normal Mode's difficulty is pretty good if you want to do that, actually. Or at least it's better than Hard Mode, which actually removes stuff such as map affinities, the weapon triangle, or the ability for you, the player, to see the movement range of enemy units. So how I see it Hard Mode removes mechanics, while Normal Mode doesn't. So if you want to judge the difficulty fairly, I would think playing the mode that doesn't remove mechanics to be the way to go, but of course it's up to you. 

Edited by Rose482

4 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

I believe Normal Mode's difficulty is pretty good if you want to do that, actually. Or at least it's better than Hard Mode, which actually removes stuff such as map affinities, the weapon triangle, or the ability for you, the player, to see the movement range of enemy units. So how I see it Hard Mode removes mechanics, while Normal Mode doesn't. So if you want to judge the difficulty fairly, I would think playing the mode that doesn't remove mechanics to be the way to go, but of course it's up to you. 

I mean it doesn't just remove mechanics, right? It also increases enemy stats?

Just now, Alastor15243 said:

I mean it doesn't just remove mechanics, right? It also increases enemy stats?

I mean, yeah it does increase their stats. It also gives you less exp overall from both enemies and clearing map. So it's definitely harder.

Imma tiebreak and say normal, because the QoL removals on hard are dumb. Haven't played RD in quite a while, but I remember normal being a fairly enjoyable difficulty level, too - easier than HHM or FE6!HM for sure, but not nearly as braindead as PoR.

(Also, looking into the future, I'd be really impressed if you'll be able to keep ironmanning the highest difficulties. FE11, maybe, but FE12 seems nigh impossible. Might as well swallow your pride right now, where the hard mode is less impossibly difficult and more frustrating)

6 minutes ago, ping said:

Imma tiebreak and say normal, because the QoL removals on hard are dumb. Haven't played RD in quite a while, but I remember normal being a fairly enjoyable difficulty level, too - easier than HHM or FE6!HM for sure, but not nearly as braindead as PoR.

(Also, looking into the future, I'd be really impressed if you'll be able to keep ironmanning the highest difficulties. FE11, maybe, but FE12 seems nigh impossible. Might as well swallow your pride right now, where the hard mode is less impossibly difficult and more frustrating)

Hahaha, a lot of games in this marathon were so obviously terrible for ironmanning that I didn't even try. So far I've ironmanned FE3 Book 2 (tainted sort of, but resumed and succeeded), FE4 (succeeded), FE7 (failed), FE8 (succeeded), and of course FE9 (pending). Everything else was done with resetting due to the idea of ironmanning them being ludicrous. If I do RD Hard, there is no way in hell I'm ironmanning it. And I'm actually quite certain I'm going to fail even normal mode, thanks to that fucking two-man fog of war chapter in Part 1, and the ridiculously new-unit-scarce Dawn Brigade Part 3.

Edited by Alastor15243

25 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Hahaha, a lot of games in this marathon were so obviously terrible for ironmanning that I didn't even try. So far I've ironmanned FE3 Book 2 (tainted sort of, but resumed and succeeded), FE4 (succeeded), FE7 (failed), FE8 (succeeded), and of course FE9 (pending). Everything else was done with resetting due to the idea of ironmanning them being ludicrous. If I do RD Hard, there is no way in hell I'm ironmanning it. And I'm actually quite certain I'm going to fail even normal mode, thanks to that fucking two-man fog of war chapter in Part 1, and the ridiculously new-unit-scarce Dawn Brigade Part 3.

And this upcoming one has to be one of the absolute worst, all because of part 1.