Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

7 minutes ago, Koops said:

I think Genealogy's story is good just until the end of Gen 1, after that it's mediocre

I'm inclined to agree to a degree, but I'd feel it's more accurate to say that it would be mediocre if not for Gen 1 providing so much emotional buildup and setup for the events of it. FE4 Gen 2's story would just be a slightly more interesting and edgy Shadow Dragon if the tragedies leading up to Seliph's journey were as impersonal and in-the-past as the ones leading up to Marth's. But since we got Gen 1 instead of an opening text crawl summarizing it, Gen 1 really carries Gen 2 and makes it significantly more engaging and interesting than it, on its own merits, deserves to be.

Edited by Alastor15243

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Koops said:

I think Genealogy's story is good just until the end of Gen 1, after that it's mediocre AND Hector is my least favorite lord in FE7, maybe my least favorite lord overall... wait scratch that Roy exists.

I find even gen 1 boring. And you have good tastes in FE7 lords.

30 minutes ago, Koops said:

Idk which is true. Do great minds think alike or do just similarly dumb ones also do that.

Great minds think like my weird one?

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...And then Fomortiis say he “[loves] how humans look when they're drowning in despair”, and... yeah, Fomortiis, glad you at least can enjoy the emotional drama of this truly expressive character.

Now this was a great line actually lol. I think her character and actions make perfect sense but her presentation is lacking creating cognitive dissonance. Hopefully a remake of Sacred Stones fixes that and she'll express herself a lot more allowing you to connect with her. 

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

Now this was a great line actually lol. I think her character and actions make perfect sense but her presentation is lacking creating cognitive dissonance. Hopefully a remake of Sacred Stones fixes that and she'll express herself a lot more allowing you to connect with her. 

If it's anything like Echoes? Probably. Echoes had its problems, but for the most part it did a great job of working with the cards it was dealt.

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

If it's anything like Echoes? Probably. Echoes had its problems, but for the most part it did a great job of working with the cards it was dealt.

Let me guess that the reason you like Celica more than Eirika is because she expresses her emotions better than Eirika. Modern FE games tend to have great presentation. For example, Edelgard showing emotion in her final scene is more emotion than Eirika has shown despite Edelgard being a lot more stoic. Voice acting, more facial expressions, etc. will do a lot more for Eirika after reading your posts. I'm also going to guess you dislike Byleth more than Eirika because he's even less emotive. 

Just now, Icelerate said:

Let me guess that the reason you like Celica more than Eirika is because she expresses her emotions better than Eirika. Modern FE games tend to have great presentation. For example, Edelgard showing emotion in her final scene is more emotion than Eirika has shown despite Edelgard being a lot more stoic. Voice acting, more facial expressions, etc. will do a lot more for Eirika after reading your posts. I'm also going to guess you dislike Byleth more than Eirika because he's even less emotive. 

Well to be fair, Celica isn't in the top half of my favorite lords either, and in some ways the remake made Celica worse (as I went into during the latter half of my Gaiden playlog). And while, yes, Celica certainly feels more emotional and human than Eirika in the remake, the remake still somehow manages to make Echoes!Celica's similarly infamous moment feel ridiculous anyway. I'm sure I'll have much more to say when I get to Echoes though. This game has given me a lot of stuff to think about when analyzing Celica and even Corrin's behavior later. They'll be very, very fun to compare to Eirika.

And the reason why I dislike Byleth is... well, the fact that they literally don't have a character is certainly part of it, but my incandescent hatred of Byleth is a massive can of worms that I doubt I can do justice until I'm properly immersed in that game again in the playlog. Several big things and sooooooooo many tiny things rub me the wrong way about that character.

Even if you get Path of Radiance back from your friend, I'd still like to see a write up of Tower of Valni and Lagdou Ruins. And hell a chapter of the coastal map would be nice too.

Just now, Jotari said:

Even if you get Path of Radiance back from your friend, I'd still like to see a write up of Tower of Valni and Lagdou Ruins. And hell a chapter of the coastal map would be nice too.

Coastal map? Is there a location available in Creature Campaign you never fight in during the main story?

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Coastal map? Is there a location available in Creature Campaign you never fight in during the main story?

Yeah. You didn't know about it? When you finish the game, or maybe when you get to Rausten, the sea path Eirika planned to take opens up as a route on the map. On the Rausten side is a node where enemies can appear sometimes. Only in Creature Campaign, I think. It's not really anything special, but it is an extra map.

https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Melkaen_Coast

Just now, Jotari said:

Yeah. You didn't know about it? When you finish the game, or maybe when you get to Rausten, the sea path Eirika planned to take opens up as a route on the map. On the Rausten side is a node where enemies can appear sometimes. Only in Creature Campaign, I think. It's not really anything special, but it is an extra map.

https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Melkaen_Coast

I'll keep that in mind!

21 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Melkaen coast; it would be really hard if this game had FE6 quality enemies. It's still pretty fun other than the fact that it's a rout map and hunting down the Elder Baels takes a while.

53 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Well to be fair, Celica isn't in the top half of my favorite lords either, and in some ways the remake made Celica worse (as I went into during the latter half of my Gaiden playlog). And while, yes, Celica certainly feels more emotional and human than Eirika in the remake, the remake still somehow manages to make Echoes!Celica's similarly infamous moment feel ridiculous anyway. I'm sure I'll have much more to say when I get to Echoes though. This game has given me a lot of stuff to think about when analyzing Celica and even Corrin's behavior later. They'll be very, very fun to compare to Eirika.

I wonder what you're going to say about Micaiah. 

I wonder what you're going to say about Micaiah. 

So do I. First time I played her I thought she was fine, and by the time I actually played the game myself after learning a lot of people hate her, most of the shit people complained about had been done even worse by Corrin, making it difficult for me to find much fault with her by comparison. But who knows? I've changed my mind about several long-held opinions when playlogging. Maybe I'm gonna notice more stuff wrong with her this time. At any rate, that's pretty close now. Just one more full game.

7 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

So do I. First time I played her I thought she was fine, and by the time I actually played the game myself after learning a lot of people hate her, most of the shit people complained about had been done even worse by Corrin, making it difficult for me to find much fault with her by comparison. But who knows? I've changed my mind about several long-held opinions when playlogging. Maybe I'm gonna notice more stuff wrong with her this time. At any rate, that's pretty close now. Just one more full game.

Well just because a character is better than Corrin, doesn't mean they are good lol so that's going to be interesting. Were there any opinions that improved after playlogging? 

Well just because a character is better than Corrin, doesn't mean they are good lol so that's going to be interesting. Were there any opinions that improved after playlogging? 

Well, most notably off the top of my head, I learned to appreciate all the stuff I took for granted about FE7's storytelling, after playing six consecutive games that didn't have any of the innovations it added.

Playing Dark Dragon also indirectly improved my opinions of Gaiden and Shadow Dragon. For Gaiden, it made me realize a lot of that game's weirdness drastically streamlined the usability nightmare that was Dark Dragon, and for Shadow Dragon... well, it made me realize that my initial impression as a teenager that "they barely changed anything" was a baseless, childish assumption that was amazingly, hilariously wrong.

46 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

The Melkaen Coast, where Eirika had planned to go to before all that crap about Innes being in danger came to the forefront. You don't have to wait until Creature Campaign to go there, though; it opens up after clearing Last Hope.

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Well, most notably off the top of my head, I learned to appreciate all the stuff I took for granted about FE7's storytelling, after playing six consecutive games that didn't have any of the innovations it added.

Do you think FE8 ended up removing the innovations of FE7's storytelling? 

13 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Do you think FE8 ended up removing the innovations of FE7's storytelling? 

Not all of them. There was a lot of stuff the previous games didn't do, and Sacred Stones still does some of it. Sort of. It does backslide a good deal on several points though, namely returning for a good portion of the game to the "lord and their advisor" model of character story focus. Ephraim and Eirika really don't interact nearly as much as they should.

I guess it is a bit early to be saying this, but in RD, please make sure to read the battle conversations. A lot are so easy to miss, and yet I find them very good as they give extra insight on some of the characters. 

1 minute ago, Rose482 said:

I guess it is a bit early to be saying this, but in RD, please make sure to read the battle conversations. A lot are so easy to miss, and yet I find them very good as they give extra insight on some of the characters. 

Battle conversations as in boss quotes, or do you mean specifically the things that characters say to each other during Part 3 when your various armies are fighting each other?

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Battle conversations as in boss quotes, or do you mean specifically the things that characters say to each other during Part 3 when your various armies are fighting each other?

Oh sorry, I should had been more clear. I meant things characters say in part 3 (and part 4 also) when they fight each other. This could also include bosses in some chapters of course. 

Also, I just got the game back from my friend today. I'm leaving the package off to the side to decontaminate for a few days, just in case, but yeah, I have it now. Which means we can proceed to FE9 whenever people want. The consensus seems to slightly be in favor of FE9 next, but how does everyone feel about checking out FE8's extra content, and extra content in general? Do you guys want me to be thorough, or just focus on the core main story of each game? If you have an opinion one way or the other, I'd like to hear it.

5 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Do you guys want me to be thorough, or just focus on the core main story of each game? If you have an opinion one way or the other, I'd like to hear it.

Well, seeing as I don't want to read anything on FE9/10 until I finish Windwaker and play them, I vote for bonus content.

I'll read Tearring though.

Edited by Hello72207

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Also, I just got the game back from my friend today. I'm leaving the package off to the side to decontaminate for a few days, just in case, but yeah, I have it now. Which means we can proceed to FE9 whenever people want. The consensus seems to slightly be in favor of FE9 next, but how does everyone feel about checking out FE8's extra content, and extra content in general? Do you guys want me to be thorough, or just focus on the core main story of each game? If you have an opinion one way or the other, I'd like to hear it.

I personally think you should move on to FE9 as I don't care about FE8's extra content. I'm interested to hear your take on Ike considering you dislike dumb lords and I've heard some people argue he's dumb. 

Edited by Icelerate