Where to get the resource to repair the Sword of the Creator?

Okay, so it's running pretty low on uses in my file right now, but I don't have the necessary resource to repair it in the blacksmith. It's Umbral Steel, for reference. Anyone know where I can find some? I'd hate to just run out of uses for the SotC and not be able to use it for awhile.

The best way to get the more rare smiting materials it to armor break demonic beasts; breaking all of their yellow barriers at once with attacks or gambits will rob the enemy of their turn and give you a variety of types and quantities of rare materials.

Umbra Steel is dropped pretty often by the "Dragonic" Demonic Beasts, in amounts ranging from 1 to 5. And you only need 3 to repair most hero relics.

Edited by TDAWS_MP132

You can repair the sword by Resting, which is generally the better option since you can use Umbral Steel to repair other weapons. Umbral Steel also drops when you break high level monsters' armor, I believe, and as a reward for some paralogues. 

Oh. I haven't gotten any paralogues yet and I've only faced one demonic beast so far. I guess I have no choice but to rest once or twice before the next battle.

Just to let you know, there are a few points in the story where the sword automatically recharges.

Spoiler

>On being upgraded to the Sublime Creator Sword when Byleth merges with Sothis, it will be at maximum durability.
>At the timeskip, it and all other weapons in character inventories will be reset to maximum durability.

I think there's at least one other point where it recharges, but I can't for the life of me remember...

I honestly don't think it's worth it to use materials to fix it up anyway. When I was playing, I mostly used it to kill off monsters, using Bows + Close Counter for range, and then just resting at some later point. Even though I swear there's an excess of monsters in Blue Lions, I still never ran out of durability on it.

Edited by Xenomata

I didn't thing that you could repair the sword in teh blacksmith as well. The times I needed to repair it, I just chose Rest in the monastery.

But to be fair, I didn't use the Sword of the Creator that much because my Byleth knew how to use bow and, later, magic. I only used the sword in late game bosses.

I don't think you can repair the Sword of the Creator at the Blacksmith, Idk maybe you can. Resting just seems easier. I really don't like how the hero relics have durability. I think it's better when personal weapons have unlimited durability, especially when it's the main character's. Just imagine if Ragnell had durability in RD, yikes.

Maybe a compromise system for all weapons where durability damage is only incurred by combat arts? It'll be like 90s beat 'em ups where your special move consumes health.

53 minutes ago, SSbardock84 said:

I don't think you can repair the Sword of the Creator at the Blacksmith, Idk maybe you can. Resting just seems easier. I really don't like how the hero relics have durability. I think it's better when personal weapons have unlimited durability, especially when it's the main character's. Just imagine if Ragnell had durability in RD, yikes.

You can repair the Sword of the Creator, it requires Umbral Steel rather than the usual Smithing Stones. Once you have enough Umbral Steel it's definitely easier to repair it at the Blacksmith as it regenerates all uses and doesn't cost time, whereas resting only regenerates 5 (and it prevents you from doing anything else that day).

Repairing the Sword of the Creator at the Blacksmith is better as you can do it anywhere and it doesn't cost an action (as you can even do it from the Prep screen). The main downside is using the rare materials and the high gold cost of repairing it.

Thing is, I rarely use the Sword of the Creator (unless I know it'll be auto repaired, then I'll abuse it). While it's a nice weapon, the low durability makes it unappealing for me. There's also other options that I can use instead (Rapier, Levin Sword) that work just as well.

3 hours ago, SSbardock84 said:

I think it's better when personal weapons have unlimited durability, especially when it's the main character's.

Or just make it like magic where it recharges automatically after battle instead of having to rest.

I rarely use it anyway because Byleth won't let anyone else get a kill if he has it on (plus gauntlets are just infinitely better weapons) but I'd probably use it a bit more if it at least recharged those 5 uses automatically instead of having to rest for it.

• 2 years later...

I find it easy to farm for umbra steels since I do go out of my way to break down all of the monster’s barriers. But generally speaking I rarely use the sword of the creator because of it’s rather underwhelming might at the start.

I do however like to abuse it chapters 10 and 12 since it gets an upgrade and gets an auto repair by chapter 13. I think it gets a auto repair during chapter 10, I could be wrong.

Uh, this is a 2019 thread...

Since it's been necro'd already though, to give an up to date answer: Umbral Steel can be farmed from breaking all barriers of a Demonic Beast, including the ones that are bosses (Black Beast, Lord of the Desert/Lake, etc).

You also get some from certain chapters as rewards, like Ch9 and Sothis paralogue. It's a pretty common ore and I highly encourage using all relics until they break, then repairing them again with Umbral Steel.

The only exception is Aymyr, which needs the rarer Agarthium instead to be repaired.

1 hour ago, Barren said:

I do however like to abuse it chapters 10 and 12 since it gets an upgrade and gets an auto repair by chapter 13. I think it gets a auto repair during chapter 10, I could be wrong.

And yes, it gets repaired twice; once when it turns into the Sublime form, and again post-timeskip as long as it's in a units inventory before timeskip (the latter is true with every weapon).

Edited by DaveCozy