Recruiting in Part 2

*Spoilers, obviously*

So just started Part 2, Black Eagles, supporting Edelgard. Didn't recruit anyone except Sylvain and teachers.

I just ran into combat against some Golden Deer and took them out and got the classic FE death sound and slow-mo scene. I immediately felt bad...

So, is there a way to recruit former students as enemies, or will I just have blood on my hands from here on out?

46 minutes ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

You can recruit Lysithea and no one else, on your route. 

I'm far enough into Golden Deer to know the secret of Lysithea's origin. So if this is the case, that is fucked up. Haven't you imperial despots done enough?

30 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm far enough into Golden Deer to know the secret of Lysithea's origin. So if this is the case, that is fucked up. Haven't you imperial despots done enough?

...She has an arguably romantic paired ending with Edelgard, you know?

26 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm not sure how much you consider spoilers, so I'll tag it, it's spoilers for Empire route

Spoiler

Once you get to know Edelgard's past and motives you get why Lysithea is probably the recruit that makes the most sense in the Empire route, especially reading their supports. I get that those "allies" did terrible things, but if you play Crimson Flower you also understand that "allies" is not the right word. Edelgard shares Lysithea's past, actually we could say that she's the "better result" (as her lifespan is not shortened), she surely shares the hatred and the desire for vengeance.

Various dialogue with Hubert also shows that, despite using their support to overthrow the Church, there's a lot of clashing and fighting "behind the scenes" against TWSITD.

it's also interesting that if you recruit her post timeskip you get a special dialogue when you explore, where she tells you that Claude himself told her to surrender and join forces with Edelgard, should the Alliance not make it through.

1 hour ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

You can recruit Lysithea and no one else, on your route. 

Speaking about that, is there some special condition to triggering that?

I've heard that you need to have at least a C support for her to show up there/have her want to join you. Is that true?

I'll probably never see it because she always gets recruited right away but I'm a but curious.

Just now, Hekselka said:

Speaking about that, is there some special condition to triggering that?

I've heard that you need to have at least a C support for her to show up there/have her want to join you. Is that true?

I'll probably never see it because she always gets recruited right away but I'm a but curious.

I think you have to defeat her with Byleth, and maybe the support thing is true too, but I don't know because I had a C support with her going into the skip. She just didn't think my magic was high enough 😞

I think you can get Ashe in golden deer if you fight him with Byleth I found this out waaaay after I beat that chapter and cannot confirm. I refused to kill him since I thought that was the only option so I made sure to stay away and not fight him. I tried to do that for all the students but Ingrid went and suicided on Raphael and after trying and failing to save her from this fate I ended up leaving her dead because either she died to him or she killed someone else and I was running out of divine pulse.

edit: So yeah next time I replay this I’m going out of my way to recruit EVERYONE that is possible to recruit to avoid this outcome.

Edited by iavasechui

No need to fight them with Byleth! As I've just recruited Lorenz in Blue Lion in just fighting him with another character. The only character you must fight to save her, in the Black Eagle path is 

Spoiler

Flayn, as if Byleth fights her she doesn't die but withdraw. If this is the case, Seteth goes away for Flayn and you don't see them again. It's just a bonus thing. 

Yeah from what I’ve seen from others on reddit, you have to be Byleth to be able to spare a character? Whether they are recruitable or not? I may be remembering this wrong, but I saw one player explaining that they had recruited Ashe pre time skip, can’t remember which route though, and Ashe disappears from your roster post time skip. The player encountered Ashe in a battle with the BL, but couldn’t get him back despite trying not to kill him??? Again my memory might be wrong, but Ashe seems to be a unique case which is interesting.

I’m doing my GD run, still pre time skip. I think I’ll experiment and try to get Ashe to a support C and see if I can not kill him when the time comes. I’m one normal mode so I’m hoping I can be as much of a pacifist as possible and try my best not to kill too many students from BE and BL post time skip by running away from them haha. Because I know it’s harder to do on hard mode when your units can get killed off. 

I know when I do my BL run I’m gonna recruit most of the GD kids so I don’t have to murder them all 😔

On 8/9/2019 at 8:33 PM, Glennstavos said:

The empire's little intervention that's stated in Lysitia's profile would be a reason not to side with the empire. However its also a convincing reason why she would do so

Spoiler

Edelgard is a fellow victim of the same experiments and she wants a crest free world which Lysitia can get behind. 

I actually quite like these scenarios. Characters that logically shouldn't have any business in your faction ends up having quite convincing motivations to join. Hanneman being a crest maniac doesn't put him at odds with the Eagles at all but perfectly compliments what Edelgard is trying to do. 

One strange absence is Lorentz however. 

Spoiler

The story makes it a point to mention his family turned into imperial toadies but yet he never joins the empire. He's just completely absent altogether. 

7 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Hide contents

The story makes it a point to mention his family turned into imperial toadies but yet he never joins the empire. He's just completely absent altogether.  

Spoiler

Really? I heard he could join you. If not then yeah that's pretty strange. To be fair though, I do think this is one of those cases where his allegiance still lies with the alliance but it's his father that doesn't. At least that's the way he makes it seem so far.

Talking about this, is Ferdinand recruitable in part 2?

Spoiler

He and his family lost all their power and land and seems to resent Edelgard over it (rightfully so of course) not to mention he's always been at odds with Edelgard and considered Edelgard unfit as a ruler.

Seems like the perfect person to switch sides and join an opposing faction.

2 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Really? I heard he could join you. If not then yeah that's pretty strange. To be fair though, I do think this is one of those cases where his allegiance still lies with the alliance but it's his father that doesn't. At least that's the way he makes it seem so far.

Talking about this, is Ferdinand recruitable in part 2?

Hide contents

He and his family lost all their power and land and seems to resent Edelgard over it (rightfully so of course) not to mention he's always been at odds with Edelgard and considered Edelgard unfit as a ruler.

Seems like the perfect person to switch sides and join an opposing faction.

Its a bit odd. I could see Ferdinants situation being a reason for him to defect but in the eagles route itself he's...

Spoiler

More or less fine with it. He briefly says he's sad his father got ruined despite all his service to the empire but he doesn't have an issue with his own demotion. His support with Edelgard just goes on as if she never took his nobility away and he's supportive of Edelgard's conquests in the story. 

10 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its a bit odd. I could see Ferdinants situation being a reason for him to defect but in the eagles route itself he's...

Hide contents

More or less fine with it. He briefly says he's sad his father got ruined despite all his service to the empire but he doesn't have an issue with his own demotion. His support with Edelgard just goes on as if she never took his nobility away and he's supportive of Edelgard's conquests in the story.  

Spoiler

Now that's strange. He and Petra seemed like the most distraught of the students after Edelgard started the war so it's weird that he'd just continue to serve her and treat it as though nothing has happened.

2 hours ago, iavasechui said:

I think you can get Ashe in golden deer if you fight him with Byleth I found this out waaaay after I beat that chapter and cannot confirm. I refused to kill him since I thought that was the only option so I made sure to stay away and not fight him.

I killed him with Byleth, nothing out of the ordinary happened.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The empire's little intervention that's stated in Lysitia's profile would be a reason not to side with the empire. However its also a convincing reason why she would do so

Reveal hidden contents

Edelgard is a fellow victim of the same experiments and she wants a crest free world which Lysitia can get behind. 

I actually quite like these scenarios. Characters that logically shouldn't have any business in your faction ends up having quite convincing motivations to join. Hanneman being a crest maniac doesn't put him at odds with the Eagles at all but perfectly compliments what Edelgard is trying to do. 

Spoiler

"Little" intervention. Yeah "sorry we performed blood experiments on your house and made your parents watch. But your survival has given me a chance to engulf the world in war so thanks for that". I can't imagine a way they'd write this interaction besides never mentioning Lysithea's origin and also having the real bad guys not join Edelgard's team for some contrived reason.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

I killed him with Byleth, nothing out of the ordinary happened.

Hide contents

"Little" intervention. Yeah "sorry we performed blood experiments on your house and made your parents watch. But your survival has given me a chance to engulf the world in war so thanks for that". I can't imagine a way they'd write this interaction besides never mentioning Lysithea's origin and also having the real bad guys not join Edelgard's team for some contrived reason.

Haha the phrase little intervention was meant as a way to avoid spoiling it for people 😄

But its important to note that...

Spoiler

Edelgard was not the one responsible for Lysitea's experiments. She must have been about five at the time. If anything Lysithea was probably the prototype used for practice before the mages started to cut open Edelgard and her siblings. So in that sense the two are more akin to sisters in torment than to tormentor and tormented. The one who experimented on Lysithea were probably those that slither in the dark who Edelgard hates. If it wasn't those that slither then the ones doing the experimenting were likely the faction of the seven nobles who Edelgard also hates. 

3 hours ago, Metakirby said:

No need to fight them with Byleth! As I've just recruited Lorenz in Blue Lion in just fighting him with another character. The only character you must fight to save her, in the Black Eagle path is 

Hide contents

Flayn, as if Byleth fights her she doesn't die but withdraw. If this is the case, Seteth goes away for Flayn and you don't see them again. It's just a bonus thing. 

Killing with Byleth definitely makes a difference though, I should know since

Spoiler

I had to kill Claude, but dealing the final blow with Byleth/Edelgard gives you the choice to spare him

You can't always spare people though

Spoiler

Killed Felix with Byleth, he ded, sadly I didn't get the chance to slit Lorenz's throat, thanks to his family who supports the empire. It was the kill I was looking forward to the most.

About Ferdinand (and every other character really) it should be noted that depending on the path you take their motivations change, Ferdinand (or Felix, to name another one) provide good reasons both for staying and leaving, depending on the route you take it just changes which reason matters more.

Also it should be noted that Ferdinand's rivalry with Edelgard is... not that big, the other thing is definitely more relevant, but the rivalry is just a silly game.

Edited by timon