AI Targeting Mechanic

Vorena

Enjoy it?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Enjoy it?

• Y
    • N

My take on it is that it is an extremely convenient feature that allows for easier tactical thinking. I can gauge how much damage a unit might potentially take, and then act based on that. Sometimes I might throw my healer in a weird position I might otherwise not because I'm able to see that it's somewhat safe. It's a great quality of life change that allows an action that, while not random in nature, is somewhat random in practice, to be something I can take into account, since you were never quite able to tell who the enemy might target if there were multiple units in said enemy's range. I'd always say giving the player more information, in a very cohesive and understandable manner, is a good thing.

I am torn between it since for so long its not been there its part of fire emblem to anticipate will a unit survive if attacked by say 2-3 units? Do I need to make sure I have a non-heavy weapon equipped after winning this 1RKO? 

However, at the same time it lets you speed things up greatly. By now worrying about it because you can see it you can just be aggressive because you know exactly how the chess pieces will move.

It makes the game somewhat easier, and help to save some headaches and time - yet I still don't look at this as cheating. If there'd be an option to turn it off, I'd try it in challenge runs. It actually helps you to detect if you messed up early on, so you can use a Rescue staff to fix your mistakes. Still I'm liking this feature overall.

9 hours ago, Garlyle said:

It makes the game somewhat easier, and help to save some headaches and time - yet I still don't look at this as cheating. If there'd be an option to turn it off, I'd try it in challenge runs. It actually helps you to detect if you messed up early on, so you can use a Rescue staff to fix your mistakes. Still I'm liking this feature overall.

I was thinking between this mechanic and the divine pulse system that harder modes such a lunatic from games like fates/awakening would be less of a headache from the BS that can be thrown your way, but still difficult to overcome. 

Edited by Vorena

I love it purely because the zoom out is actual shit. The most zoomed out option is still far too close, checking Snipers and Bow Knights range would be a fucking nightmare without those lines. I still use ZR and flag units' range, but the lines really help later on with big range units, especially when there's a group and you need to be in range of just one of them. Doesn't help that moving the cursor across the map causes so much blurryness it sometimes gives me headache, no joke.

Damage prediction I'd be fine without though, especially with Divine Pulse being a (very spammable) thing.

Edited by timon

5 hours ago, Armchair General said:

What happened to just running the math in your head and checking the enemy's movement range?

One thing I can say is that you cannot predict the AI targeting priority unless you did some heavy testing. From what I recall Mystery of the Emblem and Shadow Dragon for the DS prioritized doing damage. If there was a unit that could be killed, but only took 5 dmg compared to another unit that took 10 dmg within range it would prioritize doing the 10 dmg. Awakening/Fates did it differently I recall in that if there was a unit to kill in range it would go for it I believe. 

In three houses there is sometimes some weird interaction I recall running into, but didn't investigate. Such as I think one time a demonic beast targeted a full health Byleth compared to targeting a Lysithea it could double and ORKO.

15 hours ago, Vorena said:

One thing I can say is that you cannot predict the AI targeting priority unless you did some heavy testing. From what I recall Mystery of the Emblem and Shadow Dragon for the DS prioritized doing damage. If there was a unit that could be killed, but only took 5 dmg compared to another unit that took 10 dmg within range it would prioritize doing the 10 dmg. Awakening/Fates did it differently I recall in that if there was a unit to kill in range it would go for it I believe. 

In three houses there is sometimes some weird interaction I recall running into, but didn't investigate. Such as I think one time a demonic beast targeted a full health Byleth compared to targeting a Lysithea it could double and ORKO.

I'm guessing that it was trying to force a game over on you.

the beast probably based its attack on your res or def stat

there is also the time when the lines are a lie and enemies deviate from the lines when the first to attack fails or doesnt get killed which in turn can mess up the whole plan xD

I voted, "No," not because I think it's a detriment or anything but because I can already see where the enemies can reach and usually have an easy time figuring out who the AI will target.

It came in handy one time:

Spoiler

True Black Eagles route, the siege of the Bridge of Myrrdin, when Leonie came in. Her gambit range doesn't show up when you highlight her, so seeing that she was targetting Dorothea (who was out of her range) was helpful.