Three Houses Inspired RP (Interest Check)

Rapier

So, I really liked the concept behind Three Houses, where you have an Avatar that is a teacher in a highly prestigious academy interacting with students from higher noble houses as well as with those who do everyday work to maintain the academy (hi, guard dude).

Curiously enough, it's also a very interesting setting for a roleplay, because it allows a lot of ground for character development and interactions before the plot builds up.

My proposition is to have a RP where the players can create up to two [human] characters, be they teachers, students or workers at the academy. It'd have a somewhat slow, slice-of-life-y start where students are assigned missions and other tasks and get to move around with the teachers, until somewhere along the line the story gets more serious and each of them has to choose where their loyalties lie.

We wouldn't use stats or any calculations for the RP, but keeping consistency with your character's skills and with the setting would be enforced. Teachers are supposed to be much more experienced than other characters at first, and specialized in a field of their choice, while students would know the basics and develop from there, yet the formers are far from being invincible, much less the latters. Fighting four people at once would be a daunting task for even the most skilled warriors, for example. Don't expect to have an all-powerful and all-knowing character.

And since the academy is a highly prestigious one, there are very tight requisites for having a character be a student there, and yours would need a valid reason for being accepted (maybe they aren't from a noble family but they were rich enough to pay for it; or maybe they're from a lesser noble house with an alliance or bethrotal to a higher noble house, which gives them enough prestige to apply; or maybe they are a member of the church who was appointed for the academy).

tl;dr Three Houses but with custom chars in some sort of role in the academy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I agree with Acacia that setting the RP during the events of Three Houses specifically could get really messy because we'd have to establish which house Byleth chose to teach and accommodate for how the plot plays out differently, which at worst might necessitate everyone taking the time to play-through (or spoil themselves) on the plot of our established  "canon."

Fodlan as a setting is so awesome though, and I would be interested. Someone should seriously write a setting book on it in the vein of a D&D setting book or something.

21 minutes ago, PeaceRibbon said:

I think I agree with Acacia that setting the RP during the events of Three Houses specifically could get really messy because we'd have to establish which house Byleth chose to teach and accommodate for how the plot plays out differently, which at worst might necessitate everyone taking the time to play-through (or spoil themselves) on the plot of our established  "canon."

Pretty much this.

One idea is we use the setting as an inspiration and create our own houses instead of using the canon ones.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

One idea is we use the setting as an inspiration and create our own houses instead of using the canon ones.

Yeah I'm all for using the setting, but creating our own lore. 

Yeah, and just having a new Professor come in would be fine. But the one with the extra-special power does not have to be hat Professor. It could be a student or a guard or a Knight there.

And hey, I am interested in this. We could always create a setting in the vein of a D&D World.

1 hour ago, Rose482 said:

Yeah I'm all for using the setting, but creating our own lore. 

This is what I'd do, actually. I've yet to play 3H (my Switch might arrive this Friday and I'm almost bursting with anxiety), so I prefer to not use any 3H content beyond parts of its concept that I find interesting. It wouldn't be fair to others who didn't play 3H, either.

Part of me is thinking about using a completely new setting where there's only one formal kingdom in the continent, such as Westeros with the Seven Kingdoms, and having the conflict later on be more about a continental scale civil war or pretender war where each character has their own personal stakes in the conflict.

That, or we could go with a plot similar to FE9's. A foreign empire attacks the kingdom where the academy is in (maybe the academy works like the Vatican, having its own territory and policies, yet being inside another country and enjoying "diplomatic immunity" for their association with the church or whatever). Going by FE9 terms and names, students from Crimea could feel compelled to intervene and fight for their country, students from Galia could perceive it as a threat to their nation next, students from Daein might feel shunned and conflicted about the situation, (...) while the academy itself tries to maintain their neutrality. But that would only happen later on.

Edited by Rapier

Sure thing, @Azure in a Roundabout.

I'll take some time to come up with a setting, though, since I'll be busy these days (college + job, hooray) so  if anyone wants to take the torch and make it a reality, go ahead. I might update this near the weekend. Maybe sooner, if I decide not to delve too much into lore and allow people to come up with their own House stories, info about their lands and such. I'll see what I'll do next - at least this had enough interest!

1 hour ago, Rapier said:

if anyone wants to take the torch and make it a reality, go ahead.

Heh, might be in jest; but if you really are offering for someone else to come up with a setting, I might put my nomination for that.

23 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Heh, might be in jest; but if you really are offering for someone else to come up with a setting, I might put my nomination for that.

Hey, if anyone wants to come up with a setting and host a RP with these ideas, you're welcome~

1 hour ago, Rapier said:

Hey, if anyone wants to come up with a setting and host a RP with these ideas, you're welcome~

Well, these days I'm not fully sure on hosting an RP. I'm just offering a semi-done setting that's pretty much shelved.

So I have some house name ideas to start us off, also tagging @Anacybele to see if she has any interest.

Red Wolf

Green Tiger

White Owl

Silver Fox

Blue Ox

Black Bear

Gray Crow

Ana, why not use Jerec as a house leader and pick a color and make the house mascot rabbit?

For everyone else, one of her main OCs is a lancer named Jerec who loves rabbits.

Edited by Dragoncat

50 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Um, huge no thanks. I'm not even halfway through the game yet, why would I want to do a TH RP now? Way too big a risk of spoilers.

It'd be an original RP. It would only burrow the Military Accademy setting from TH.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It'd be an original RP. It would only burrow the Military Accademy setting from TH.

Oh. Well, I still don't know. I'm pretty busy these days with my new job and getting ready to start classes. I don't know if I'll have time when I want to spend my free time playing more TH and stuff.

52 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Um, huge no thanks. I'm not even halfway through the game yet, why would I want to do a TH RP now? Way too big a risk of spoilers.

Yeah, please read the OP.

I wouldn't do it either if it was full TH instead of just inspired.

EDIT - Okay, if you're busy you're busy and I understand.

Edited by Dragoncat

Just now, Dragoncat said:

Yeah, please read the OP.

I wouldn't do it either if it was full TH instead of just inspired.

I thought the title meant it was going to be actual TH. And besides, I just responded above that I might be too busy anyway.

I may have a vague character idea? A knight's son, paid in by Dad, Mom is spending whatever she can get her hands on on frivolties and house cleaners because she doesn't want to do it herself. Inspired by Pipit from Zelda Skyward Sword I guess.

Not sure if I can commit to being a house leader or not, but he'd work either way.

1 hour ago, Rose482 said:

Silver Fox <3 I think that makes a great name for a house.

And I also have few characters ideas, but of course all of them are vague. 

I like it too! Red Wolf is also good, and I will dib it if I have to.

I might also gender bend my character idea, depending.

Edited by Dragoncat

58 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I like it too! Red Wolf is also good, and I will dib it if I have to.

I might also gender bend my character idea, depending.

Red Wolf is also a good name <3 I believe sticking to having three houses to be the best way to go for this RP. We technicality could put more if we want though. Although I would think the less houses there was, the less complicated things would be. 

I also sorta have an idea about what I would like one of the house leaders to be, but I also don't want to rush into things before the world setting is clear V_V