Jump to content
XRay

I ate a dried ghost pepper. Yes, I am still alive.

Recommended Posts

I am not sure if you guys know this but I love spicy stuff. I could eat habenaros raw by itself. About a week or two ago, I bought some dried ghost peppers from a spice shop. Today, I am making gumbo so I decided to try one before I put one into my gumbo.

BOY WAS IT HOT!!! Like, for the first time in my life, I cannot handle something spicy! I really like how the ghost pepper just sneaks up you. I took a small bite at first, and I did not really feel anything, so I immediately ate the rest of the pepper. Ten seconds later, my mouth and throat is on fire. Imagine the worst sore throat you ever had, and it feels like that. I ate two spoons of butter to wash the spiciness away.

But yeah, good thing I tried it first! I only put one ghost pepper into my gumbo, so it should not be too bad. I was planning to put like 3 or 4 like habenaros. Anyways, I hope I do not get used to ghost peppers too quickly to the point where I can just eat it by itself like habenaros.

Edited by XRay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats! And nice story to boot.

Spicy food is always nice (even I don't eat that much spicy, just spicy enough for my tastes).

I could never eat habenaros like that, haha.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've eaten a dried ghost pepper and a raw Carolina Reaper before. It's some fun stuff. You used to live in NYC, right? You should have gone to the Hot Sauce Expo there. I went there twice! That's where I ate a raw Carolina Reaper. It's so fun! I have very high tolerance : P 

Edited by GuiltyLove

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I require a proof of life before I'll believe you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rezzy said:

I require a proof of life before I'll believe you.

It's pretty doable for spicy aficionados. It's way more difficult than eating raw habaneros though, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nym said:

I could never eat habenaros like that, haha.

49 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I can't eat anything spicy, how can you eat habanaros whole?

Spicy food is kind of like drugs. I built up tolerance to it over the years. My mom used to eat quite a bit of spicy food when I was young, so I guess that is where my love for spiciness comes from. Once I started cooking for myself, I put a lot of peppers into my food, and my tolerance quickly skyrocketed. By the time I was in high school, the spiciest items on any restaurant menu was very mild to me, and I cannot really taste the heat for foods that people consider medium or mild.

When I am cooking for myself and not sharing, the food is about 4 to 5 times hotter than Sriracha sauce, and I consider that medium. Habaneros are one step above medium, so that would be hot. Dried ghost peppers is about 5 to 7 times hotter than habaneros.

56 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

You're braver than me lol.

I think I am just a masochist. The "pain" or "burn" feels great.

15 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

I've eaten a dried ghost pepper and a raw Carolina Reaper before. It's some fun stuff. You used to live in NYC, right? You should have gone to the Hot Sauce Expo there. I went there twice! That's where I ate a raw Carolina Reaper. It's so fun! I have very high tolerance : P 

When I visit NYC again, I will definitely check it out. I asked the spice shop if they had any Reapers, but she told me they all sold out, so the spiciest they had were ghost peppers.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I require a proof of life before I'll believe you.

I am still alive as I type this reply. Does that count?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, XRay said:

Spicy food is kind of like drugs. I built up tolerance to it over the years. My mom used to eat quite a bit of spicy food when I was young, so I guess that is where my love for spiciness comes from. Once I started cooking for myself, I put a lot of peppers into my food, and my tolerance quickly skyrocketed. By the time I was in high school, the spiciest items on any restaurant menu was very mild to me, and I cannot really taste the heat for foods that people consider medium or mild.

 

Yep, that's how I feel about spicy food and also how I built my tolerance.

 

1 minute ago, XRay said:

When I visit NYC again, I will definitely check it out. I asked the spice shop if they had any Reapers, but she told me they all sold out, so the spiciest they had were ghost peppers.

It's usually in April. Anaheim has one this weekend, but ballSac is a bit far from there. Maybe you can try to make a last-minute visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, XRay said:

I am still alive as I type this reply. Does that count?

No, that could be the peppers typing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I should have added another ghost pepper. My mom said my gumbo was spicy, but I cannot really taste it. I did ate a whole ghost pepper earlier though, so maybe my taste buds were still numb from that.

8 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

It's usually in April. Anaheim has one this weekend, but ballSac is a bit far from there. Maybe you can try to make a last-minute visit.

Just now, GuiltyLove said:

Never mind, the website was showing the event for last year. Oh well. There's one in Oregon though.

I think I might wait for it to come to San Francisco or somewhere close by.

I remember I scratched my crotch once after I cut some peppers. Very not fun.

8 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

No, that could be the peppers typing.

How did you figure out that I murdered XRay and am pretending to be him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, XRay said:

I think I should have added another ghost pepper. My mom said my gumbo was spicy, but I cannot really taste it. I did ate a whole ghost pepper earlier though, so maybe my taste buds were still numb from that.

Always add more. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing! 

1 minute ago, XRay said:

I remember I scratched my crotch once after I cut some peppers. Very not fun.

Sounds like some kinky stuff. Remember to wash your hands after handling these things!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GuiltyLove said:

Always add more. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing! 

Yeah, I will definitely add more to my own portion.

2 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

Sounds like some kinky stuff. Remember to wash your hands after handling these things!

Now I always do. I do not want to make that mistake twice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Casein doesn't wash away too well, so instead use disposable gloves to minimize any post-pepper burning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh boy, well, congratulations from a fellow dumbass spicy aficionado who has also eaten one! And yeah, it really gets you with how slowly it hits you. As if daring you to chomp it down in one bite, which activates it's trap card, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, XRay said:

I remember I scratched my crotch once after I cut some peppers. Very not fun.

I cringed when I read this.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

Spicy food is kind of like drugs. I built up tolerance to it over the years. My mom used to eat quite a bit of spicy food when I was young, so I guess that is where my love for spiciness comes from. Once I started cooking for myself, I put a lot of peppers into my food, and my tolerance quickly skyrocketed. By the time I was in high school, the spiciest items on any restaurant menu was very mild to me, and I cannot really taste the heat for foods that people consider medium or mild.

When I am cooking for myself and not sharing, the food is about 4 to 5 times hotter than Sriracha sauce, and I consider that medium. Habaneros are one step above medium, so that would be hot. Dried ghost peppers is about 5 to 7 times hotter than habaneros.

The inside of my mouth is quite sensitive, especially to heat, so it would take me quite a while to do that sort of thing.

My grandma used to complain about me letting my food sit for too long until I clarified that the inside of my mouth is just that sensitive to heat, I remember burning my mouth on some hot cocoa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GuiltyLove said:

But you're female like me so there's nothing to imagine

I was sharing the male pain, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@XRay I've done some fun challenges before. There's Fuego Box with the spicy chocolate challenge and both Death Nut iterations. The first one is discontinued, but the second one is still on Amazon. Fuego Box's is on its website too. I've finished them and recorded videos of myself doing some of them.

Are you into hot sauces? I actually like using cocaine pepper powder more because they tend to be hotter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Casein doesn't wash away too well, so instead use disposable gloves to minimize any post-pepper burning.

Yeah, it takes a LOT of water to wash down the chemical since it is not very water soluble, so I just ate butter instead.

3 hours ago, MegaTheGamer said:

And yeah, it really gets you with how slowly it hits you. As if daring you to chomp it down in one bite, which activates it's trap card, lol.

Yeah, I totally fell for it! I did not realize the build up was so slow. Ghost peppers smelled so sweet and fruity and innocent. I took a bite and it tasted a little sweet and mildly spicy, and I was like thinking "Pft! This is nothing. I can totally handle." and I put the rest of the pepper in my mouth and gave it a good chew. As I kept chewing and then swallowed, I can feel that sneaky brat turning up the heat in my body and I was like "OMFG!!!"

1 hour ago, Espurrhoodie said:

The inside of my mouth is quite sensitive, especially to heat, so it would take me quite a while to do that sort of thing.

My grandma used to complain about me letting my food sit for too long until I clarified that the inside of my mouth is just that sensitive to heat, I remember burning my mouth on some hot cocoa.

I like my food lukewarm or cold too, which is kind of weird since I like spicy food.

1 hour ago, GuiltyLove said:

@XRay I've done some fun challenges before. There's Fuego Box with the spicy chocolate challenge and both Death Nut iterations. The first one is discontinued, but the second one is still on Amazon. Fuego Box's is on its website too. I've finished them and recorded videos of myself doing some of them.

Are you into hot sauces? I actually like using cocaine pepper powder more because they tend to be hotter.

Ooh! I will check those out. I plan to buy Dawson's XXX Ghost Pepper Mash from Heatonist. I want to buy The Last Dab too, but those get sold out quick.

I like hot sauce, but the hottest hot sauce I can find in my area is just Sriracha sauce, which is pretty mild for me. Tapatio and Tabasco are even milder so I rarely use them. If I want to make a dish spicy, I generally use peppers, either fresh or dried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, XRay said:

Ooh! I will check those out. I plan to buy Dawson's XXX Ghost Pepper Mash from Heatonist. I want to buy The Last Dab too, but those get sold out quick.

 

I tried one of the Dawson's hot sauces from Heatonist. 這瓶辣醬含有花椒在裡面. It was interesting, though I'm not sure if it's the same one as XXX. 花椒/麻辣 is one of my favorite sensations, so I enjoyed my Dawson's bottle quite a bit.

The Last Dab is... not something I really like. I got the Trinidad Scorpion one from the Hot Sauce Expo last year when I met Sean Evans; I even got it autographed! However, it's quite pricey at $20 per bottle and I strongly dislike the consistency. I do hope you get to try it though!

56 minutes ago, XRay said:

Yeah, it takes a LOT of water to wash down the chemical since it is not very water soluble, so I just ate butter instead.

Are you lactose-intolerant? Milk is better than water for this, as you probably know. 

Edited by GuiltyLove
Mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...