FE4 - Two different questions from an old-timer...

λrc Impulse

So I'm in the process of making my 30th FE4 run (or something like that, I just love this game...) and I've two things to ask about: One concerns gameplay, what I think is a glitch I've never seen (or even seen mentioned before) and one is a question about a storyline aspect that I never really thought about too hard before.

First the 'glitch' - so, on this play-through I'm doing some unconventional and silly things I've never done before - the relevant part of that is that it's taking me AGES, without a doubt the slowest play-through I've ever done (Just started chapter 4, 60+ turns taken on both chapter 2 and 3! good lord are foot units tough to use consistently in this game...) and I at least think this caused the strange effect. As soon as Tiltyu was recruited, Azel's love was listed as her though they've spent zero time together, obviously, while her own... is still listed as none. And this still persists in Chapter 4. How did that happen? Did the latent love growth just pair them up while I was taking forever in chapter 3? Even though Tiltyu "didn't exist" yet? I've never seen something like this before and I just have no idea what happened here and how or why it created the only one-way relationship I've ever seen. I promise it wasn't caused by a runaway AR code or anything like that, I don't have any enabled.

Second, the storyboard bit. Again this just never really occurred to me before and I'm wondering if I missed something or am misunderstanding. Okay: In Chapter 2 one of the cutscenes with Manfroy has a Lopt dude telling him Kurth has been assassinated, so this is presumably the moment that Vylon goes into hiding/on the run/whatever. Then, most of a year passes in between in end of Chapter 2 and the start of Chapter 3. Afterwards, Sigurd & Co. end up in Silesea where they spent another year? Once Chapter 5 starts, am I to believe Vylon has spent the last TWO YEARS fleeing from or hit&run fighting against Rangobalt's forces?? That's... insane. That's somewhere between very stupid and incredibly badass, and I can't make up my mind which.

Edited by λrc Impulse

Can't speak about the 'glitch'; but regarding Vylon, I would consider that, yes, he was able to remain on the run or in hiding for at least year and a half.

Keep in mind that Jugdral is, well, a continent; and they're huge. With the technological level Jugdral has, it's plaussible for Vylon to avoid being captured. Specially if he fled back to Isaach, where the general populace would gladly help him hide, or remained in the desert, where it'd also be hard to find someone.

That's a good point, I hadn't really considered that Vylon also had been leading a full compliment of (presumably) elite troops who could have split up and gone separate ways once the betrayal hit and it probably would have taken quite some time for Rangobalt and the others to hunt down every last one of them. Two years is still an awfully long time for an old and critically injured man to be evading pursuers though...
P.S. I absolutely love your signature. Glad I'm not the only one who finds the 'semi-official' translations of names and locations for this game to be mostly terrible (at least I presume that's that statement being made ;P)

I would think he wasn't injured the entire the span of time. It's likely the injuries he had in Ch5 were after the result of evading pursuers while passing through either Lubeck or Phinora.

Speakingof the Gruenen Ritter, makes sense if they were the reason Vylon was able to slip away the first time. Then again, it depends if they were there when Kurth got killed. Or Lombard and Leptor caught them (and Lord Ring, perhaps, though we know Andorei killed him in a separate situation) alone. Worst case scenario... not the full Gruenen Ritter trusted Vylon was really innocent.

Anyway, I still stand Vylon simply avoided capture on the basis that it's easy for a single man to get "lost" when you have en entire contient as possible hiding place. Or just look how Seliph and company eluded having their hideout being found out for years. It's not implausible.

5 hours ago, λrc Impulse said:

Second, the storyboard bit. Again this just never really occurred to me before and I'm wondering if I missed something or am misunderstanding. Okay: In Chapter 2 one of the cutscenes with Manfroy has a Lopt dude telling him Kurth has been assassinated, so this is presumably the moment that Vylon goes into hiding/on the run/whatever. Then, most of a year passes in between in end of Chapter 2 and the start of Chapter 3. Afterwards, Sigurd & Co. end up in Silesea where they spent another year? Once Chapter 5 starts, am I to believe Vylon has spent the last TWO YEARS fleeing from or hit&run fighting against Rangobalt's forces?? That's... insane. That's somewhere between very stupid and incredibly badass, and I can't make up my mind which.

he probably went into hiding for a while, until he got word of Sigurd traveling around the continent and getting close to his location.

when we see him approaching us, he's probably been gravely wounded while escaping from the enemy army in the current map, so i don't think he's been injured for 2 years.

I think that's a fair point that he probably didn't sustain his injuries until a few days before we actually see him in Chapter 5, but on the other hand I disagree that he had all that many places to run to/hide in before then. Anywhere in Grandbell would have been a no-go, Yeid was probably crawling with Lopts, and Isaac presumably would have been extremely hostile towards any Grandbellian. This comes up in the plot when Oifaye is too afraid to set off there alone until Shannan is with him. In the eyes of the average Isaachian, Grandbellians murdered their King, the heir apparant, and by that point in the plot are now busy conquering cities and subjugating the populace. I really don't think that would have been an ideal situation for Vylon to get in to.

6 hours ago, λrc Impulse said:

but on the other hand I disagree that he had all that many places to run to/hide in before then. Anywhere in Grandbell would have been a no-go, Yeid was probably crawling with Lopts, and Isaac presumably would have been extremely hostile towards any Grandbellian. This comes up in the plot when Oifaye is too afraid to set off there alone until Shannan is with him. In the eyes of the average Isaachian, Grandbellians murdered their King, the heir apparant, and by that point in the plot are now busy conquering cities and subjugating the populace. I really don't think that would have been an ideal situation for Vylon to get in to

fe4worldmap.png

he could have been hiding in Silesia the whole time. after all, even Sigurd have been helped by the Silesian Queen when he was being hunted down by Grandbell.

9 hours ago, λrc Impulse said:

I think that's a fair point that he probably didn't sustain his injuries until a few days before we actually see him in Chapter 5, but on the other hand I disagree that he had all that many places to run to/hide in before then. Anywhere in Grandbell would have been a no-go, Yeid was probably crawling with Lopts, and Isaac presumably would have been extremely hostile towards any Grandbellian. This comes up in the plot when Oifaye is too afraid to set off there alone until Shannan is with him. In the eyes of the average Isaachian, Grandbellians murdered their King, the heir apparant, and by that point in the plot are now busy conquering cities and subjugating the populace. I really don't think that would have been an ideal situation for Vylon to get in to.

Yied is only crawling with cultists, at least pre-Gen2, in the vicinity of their shrine. Vylon could've been in Darna or Phinora. Heck, when you consider how Tirnanogue is considered remote, it's likely Grannvale barely uses the northern path to Isaach that goes through Phinora and Lubeck. So it's likely that Vylon could've been in hiding at Phinora; and only when Grannvale brothered to use the northern Yied path to get to Silessia, that it finally drove Vylon towards Zaxon.

As for Isaach, yes, they may not like Grannvelians... but what about the Grannvelian that (supposedly) killed Prince Kurth? Even if they instead think Vylon didn't do it, well, it depends on how much they heard about Ayra and Shannan while they were with Sigurd. They might've think the Chalphy's were at least alright. More so sonce they hear Sigurd is a runaway... and Ayra and Shannan are still with him.