"Who do you get to kill" topic (spoilers)

timon

Playing through Crimson Flower, and I realized I'm nearing the end of it, and yet I haven't fought nearly as many characters as I thought I would.
So I thought we could gather all the students/ex friends you get to kill in the timeskip of every route, that way it's easier to arrange some "interesting" kills when going into a chapter, like idk make Linhardt slaughter Caspar or something like that. Also if you kill with Byleth you can sometimes spare their life (or even recruit for some), if it happened say it so I can write that as well. It's also a good way to know what fights you missed out on due to recruiting (eg. I was supposed to fight Leonie at some point, but I recruited her so it was just a random Paladin instead).

Share your experience and I'll update this post.

Empire route

Spoiler

Chapter 13: Ignatz, Leonie
Chapter 14: Lysithea (can recruit with Byleth), Hilda, Claude (can spare with Byleth or Edelgard)
Chapter 15: Flayn (can spare with Byleth), Seteth (pretty sure it depends on Flayn, if you spare her he survives, otherwise he dies), Alois, Shamir, Catherine and Rhea (latter 2 don't die here)
Chapter 16: Felix, Ingrid, Rodrigue
Chapter 17: Mercedes, Sylvain, Dedue, Dimitri, Rhea
Chapter 18: Gilbert (dies, but is stationary and optional), Ashe, Annette, Cyril , Catherine, Rhea

Church route

Spoiler

Chapter 15: Ashe (Can be recruited if you recruited him pre-timeskip)

Chapter 16: Lorenz (recruitable even if you didn't get him pre-timeskip)

Chapter 18: Hubert

Chapter 19: Edelgard

Off-Screen

• Dimitri (Loses to Edelgard at Gronder Field I believe)
  • Gilbert (If Annette is recruited, she'll tell you Gilbert dies with Dimitri)
  • Claude (apparently he leaves? needs confirmation)

Blue Lions

Spoiler

Chapter 16: Ferdinand, Lorenz
Chapter 17: Bernadetta, Hubert (retreats), Edelgard (retreats), Leonie, Ignatz, Raphael, Hilda (retreats), Claude (retreats), Petra(retreats), Lysithea
Chapter 19: Hilda (NPC, can be killed by enemy)
Chapter 20: Linhardt, Caspar
Chapter 21: Dorothea, Petra, Hubert
Chapter 22: Edelgard

Golden Deer

Spoiler

Edited by timon

You can kill practically everyone not involved with your chosen house from my experience (with the exception of Claude and Hilda on the Blue Lions path), but here are some I distinctly remembered from the Empire route that you don't have listed yet. Spoilers for Chapter 17/18 in case you didn't get that far yet.

Chapter 17 - Sylvain (dies), Mercedes (dies), Dedue (dies), Dimitri (dies)
Chapter 18 - Annette (dies, but can skip due to being kind of out of the way on the map), Gilbert (dies, but can skip due to being kind of out of the way on the map), Catherine (dies), Cyril (dies)

Edited by DragonFlames

23 minutes ago, MaskedMaskoftheMasks said:

Well if you want to see Crimson Flower version of this, someone did record videos of all of them(and Ignatz accidentally twice)

They forgot one death quote from Flayn and eventually one from Seteth. (i've managed to kill and save Flayn in the same map ; you just need to have the conversation with Byleth to spare her)

Here is what I have for the Blue Lions, up to Chapter 19.

Spoiler

Chapter 16:
- Ferdinand
- Lorenz

Chapter 17:
- Bernadetta
- Petra (Retreats) [Unsure, as I recruited Petra. However, in a walkthrough I glanced over I think she is fought again later.]
- Hubert (Retreats)
- Edelgard (Retreats)
- Leonie
- Ignatz
- Raphael
- Lysithea? [Unsure, I recruited Lysithea myself.]
- Hilda (Retreats)
- Claude (Retreats)

People aren't mentioning some of the faculty members that can be killed if you didn't recruit them pre-timeskip. For the Crimson Flower

Spoiler

Ch.15

• Alois (dies, replaced by a generic Warrior if he's recruited. Said generic Warrior moves which means you don't have to deal with Alois throwing rocks at you from half the map).
  • Shamir (i think she dies but i'm not sure. Since i recruited her the first time, a generic female Sniper showed up in her place)

Edited by Armagon

Thanks people, updated the post, still need the info from GD and the latter part of Lions. Also Church, but I can't imagine you fight much apart from Edel and Hubert? Interesting that there are so many on BL though, Crimson Flower may not be the most bloody path after all.

33 minutes ago, Armagon said:

People aren't mentioning some of the faculty members that can be killed if you didn't recruit them pre-timeskip. For the Crimson Flower

That's because not recruiting Alois is a crime you monster 😞 but thanks for the input

@Espurrhoodie That's an interesting turn on Ashe, because I could recruit Lysithea even without getting her in the school. On that note, can someone confirm that you can recruit Lorenz in BL? I've heard it a couple times but idk if it's just if you got him as a student.

Edited by timon

11 minutes ago, timon said:

Thanks people, updated the post, still need the info from GD and the latter part of Lions. Also Church, but I can't imagine you fight much apart from Edel and Hubert? Interesting that there are so many on BL though, Crimson Flower may not be the most bloody path after all.

That's because not recruiting Alois is a crime you monster 😞 but thanks for the input

@Espurrhoodie That's an interesting turn on Ashe, because I could recruit Lysithea even without getting her in the school. On that note, can someone confirm that you can recruit Lorenz in BL? I've heard it a couple times but idk if it's just if you got him as a student.

I think its because Ashe on GD path always leaves party post time skip to show up as enemy in mission, while Lorenz does same on BL. So maybe in those two cases you need to have recruited them pre timeskip to be able to spare them post timeskip

1 hour ago, timon said:

I forgot to recruit him the first time i did Crimson Flower. Haha oops.

Got him recruited for my second Crimson Flower playthrough though. 

Azure Moon, Petra info

Spoiler

Retreats in Chapter 17, then returns in Chapter 21 in the NW corner of the map and will die permanently there.

I have screenshots of it back home.

And I honestly don't remember, Lysithea. I didn't recruit her (I only got Dorothea and Ignatz first playthrough) She didn't appear again, that's for sure.

Also, Azure Moon, Chapter 20

Spoiler

Caspar

Linhardt

Are killable.

Church Route

Chapter 15

• Ashe (Can be recruited if you recruited him pre-timeskip)

Chapter 16

• Lorenz (Not sure if you can recruit him, needs confirmation)

Chapter 18

• Hubert

Chapter 19

• Edelgard

Off-Screen

• Dimitri (Loses to Edelgard at Gronder Field I believe)
  • Gilbert (If Annette is recruited, she'll tell you Gilbert dies with Dimitri)
  • Claude (apparently he leaves? needs confirmation)

Blue Lions Route (Only the missing / things that need clarification from OP)

Chapter 17

• Petra (Retreats)
  • Lysithea

Chapter 19

• Hilda (NPC Unit but, can be killed by the enemy)

Chapter 20

• Linhardt
  • Caspar

Chapter 21

• Dorothea
  • Petra
  • Hubert (Officially Dies)

Chapter 22

• Edelgard 

Not sure if Marianne shows up anywhere since I recruited her

Edited by Lunarly

Spoiler

Ash and Lorenze has to be recruited pre-skip to be spared, otherwise they would fight to death.

Petra shows up in three way battle but would retreat, then fight to death in throne room; Benedetta was basically a suicide bomb and almost always dies

Edited by Timlugia

5 hours ago, MaskedMaskoftheMasks said:
5 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

On Golden Deers, Ashe dies even if you use Byleth against him.

I thought he could be recruited.

Yeah, I still feel guilty about killing him.

You probably need to recruit him pre timeskip first for that to work

Good god, I got luck that I got Ashe just in time, I snagged him on the last map before the time-skip. I was wondering why Petra showed up and not Ashe after the first map after the time skip. (I had Petra on my team after chp 10. )

But does that mean I could have gotten Ferdinand on the great bridge map? It didn't give me the option to spare him. Did I have to kill the other boss first?

Is it confirmed that you have to recruit characters before the time skip in order to recruit them later?  You can't raise their desired stats post time skip and recruit them that way?

6 hours ago, timon said:

On that note, can someone confirm that you can recruit Lorenz in BL? I've heard it a couple times but idk if it's just if you got him as a student.

I can confirm that; I was able to recruit him after killing him with Byleth after the time skip. It happens on the map just before the big Three Way battle, if my memory is correct.

Thanks everyone, updated, now I need information on Golden Deer.

Also interesting that some names still don't appear, there may be some people that never die (Marianne? Kind of ironic since she tells you she prays for it lol).

2 hours ago, timon said:

Thanks everyone, updated, now I need information on Golden Deer.

Also interesting that some names still don't appear, there may be some people that never die (Marianne? Kind of ironic since she tells you she prays for it lol).

She might have never appeared  because

she died earlier due to succumbing to her depression and/or Crest curse. It was never mentioned explicitly, but assuming her situation it’s most likely the case.

Or at the very least, she vanished  like her biological parents, since she mentioned they disappeared too before she was adopted, which might or might not because of her Crest.

• 2 weeks later...

Golden Deer. I'm currently in the middle of BL but this is what I recall.

Spoiler

Chapter 15: Valley of Torment
Ashe (perm/can be recruited)
Chapter 16: The Great Bridge Coup
Ferdinand (perm)
Chapter 17: Battle of Eagle and Lion
Edelgard (retreats)
Bernadetta (perm)
Petra(retreats)
Hubert(retreats)

Dimitri (retreats, offscreen death)
Ingrid (perm)
Felix (perm)
Sylvain (??? unsure, recruited before timeskip)
Mercedes (perm)

Chapter 18: Fort Merceus
Caspar (perm)
Linhardt (perm)

Chapter 19: Chaos of War
Hubert (perm)
Chapter 20: Confrontation at the Palace
Edelgard (perm)
Petra(perm)
Dorothea (perm)

Still taking my slow ass time on my GD. on Ch.17 I had no choice but to kill: 

Spoiler

Felix, Ingrid, and Mercedes. They kept attacking my units, and had already killed half of them. On casual mode so I didn't care about Divine pulsing like crazy. I ended the battle before Dedue could do anything to my units, otherwise I might of had to kill him too. You get a cut scene with Dedue swearing to get revenge for Dimitri. So now I'm curious if he will appear on a future map? Recruited Petra. Didn't recruit Bernie. Felt so bad for her, didn't attack her, but she got killed off by the BL random/generic units. She was basically like a sitting duck on that map...

I recruited every BE student except Ferdinand, and Bernadetta, so I don't have to feel bad about not killing them myself. 

Spoiler

I didn't feel too bad about killing Ferdinand though, he's kinda lame in the GD run as an enemy. Dorothea's dialogue in the monastery after you've killed him is pretty sad though

22 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

Fuck, I did not know I could spare Claude on the Edelgard route.

Playing it right after the Golden Deer route made it emotionally difficult to kill them. 

You're not a alone! I've seen lost of other players experience this. You can only spare Claude if you attack him with Byleth. You can still kill him if you want to do though. As cruel as it is, it kinda makes sense to kill him for story context. But if any non-Byleth unit attacks and kills Claude, then yeah, it's instant for Claude