Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm a fairly experienced FE player but a friend of mine just got into the series with 3H and is having... some difficulties.

He started with the Black Eagles and is having trouble in terms of his characters not doing much damage and taking a lot of damage with the obvious exceptions of Edelgard and Byleth. He's only on Chapter 2 (and I've told him to be patient) but... well yeah. Anyway, I was wondering if the people here could help me with some tips I can tell him to help him out? While I'm good at the game myself, I'm not the best at explaining how things work. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off the top of my head:

  • Avoid using steel weapons early on - they'll likely bring your AS way down, possibly to zero
  • Highlight enemy units to lock in their attack range
  • Look out for enemy units with battalions - they can use Gambits, of which offensive battalions rattle units if they hit
  • Related to the above, being rattled freezes a unit in place, in addition to lowering stats
  • Avoid the Death Knight. Not unlike the Black Knight in Path of Radiance, he'll most likely kill whoever he attacks. (That being said, he's immobile, at least the first two times you see him) HOWEVER, I will state that stealing from him or somehow defeating him is the only way to get the Dark Seal item, which male units need to access the Dark Mage and Dark Bishop classes. And I will note, you need two Dark Seals to access both.
  • Try not to have your healers equipped with Nosferatu unless you are sure they won't be attacked - Nosferatu is rather heavy for a beginning attack spell
Edited by Shadow Mir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:
  • Try not to have your healers equipped with Nosferatu unless you are sure they won't be attacked - Nosferatu is rather heavy for a beginning attack spell

Offensive White magic in general is just really poopy in this game. It's incredibly heavy, so you should basically never be attacking with it outside of some niche circumstances.

Basically all your healers should spec into at least the first few ranks of Reason, if only to learn their first Black magic spell (which is usually between 2-4 weight).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Silly said:

Offensive White magic in general is just really poopy in this game. It's incredibly heavy, so you should basically never be attacking with it outside of some niche circumstances.

Basically all your healers should spec into at least the first few ranks of Reason, if only to learn their first Black magic spell (which is usually between 2-4 weight).

I consider Nosferatu especially egregious because the game considers it a beginning spell. Is there any reason why a beginning spell, particularly one with all of 1 might, has 8 weight??? As a result, I ended up having Marianne spec into Reason until she got Blizzard, which is much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marianne specifically should just class into Mage -> Warlock -> Dark Knight, tbh.

There's no strong incentive to raise her faith rank beyond C for Physic and no real reason to go Gremory because she doesn't have any particularly rare spells that need to have their usage doubled (such as Warp, Meteor, etc.). Better to just grab Tomefaire and a mount.

Edited by Silly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monsters have multiple life bars in this game. Also, they take up multiple squares. You'll have to break their armor to make them vulnerable.

Relic weapons should not be used by units that don't have crests.

The Marketplace is accessible from the battle screen and from the calendar screen every Sunday.

Broken weapons do not disappear in the game, and thus are not automatically replaced with a usable weapon - replace them ASAP!

Related to the above, try to not have a weapon break on enemy phase if you can help it - if a weapon breaks, enemies will have an easier time getting follow-up attacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to know what your friend is doing wrong so early without seeing him play. My guess would be it's something simple like not utilizing magic + range enough against high defense, or having the wrong weapons equipped. Some of your lower strength units with no magic probably need to rely a bit more on gambits and combat arts early on, but I don't think those are even in play by Chapter 2.

Maybe he's expecting all his units to 1v1 enemies well without baiting them and then ganging up. I guess the first chapter where you control only the house leaders could lead you to that impression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incidentally, I have a question about part 2 all routes. While I find it actively impossible not to make Byleth a walking apocalypse in this game, I've found that the damage output of everyone else (barring lords, usually) drops significantly compared to even the part 1 finale and doesn't really pick up even with 3 battles a week to xp grind and master classes. Can't tell if I'm getting stat screwed or fundamentally mistaken in my builds. I'm playing Hard classic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Monsters have multiple life bars in this game. Also, they take up multiple squares. You'll have to break their armor to make them vulnerable.

Relic weapons should not be used by units that don't have crests.

The Marketplace is accessible from the battle screen and from the calendar screen every Sunday.

Broken weapons do not disappear in the game, and thus are not automatically replaced with a usable weapon - replace them ASAP!

Related to the above, try to not have a weapon break on enemy phase if you can help it - if a weapon breaks, enemies will have an easier time getting follow-up attacks.

I’m glad that we can repair them though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Avoid the Death Knight. Not unlike the Black Knight in Path of Radiance, he'll most likely kill whoever he attacks. (That being said, he's immobile, at least the first two times you see him) HOWEVER, I will state that stealing from him or somehow defeating him is the only way to get the Dark Seal item, which male units need to access the Dark Mage and Dark Bishop classes. And I will note, you need two Dark Seals to access both.

Good thing there is little need to put a male into a dark mage route beyond you want to use some of those class abilities such as poison strike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...