[FE8] Terror Of The Forest (22 chapter!)

Zeldacrafter_Swagg

Hello, you lovely anime-chess players ! My name’s Zeldacrafter64, as you’ve probably already figured out, and I’m here to share my project with you ! Now I know what you might think : "Hey, haven't I seen that title before ?", "Oh, I remember that one, it sucked". Well, after one year spent rotting in the "concept" category, I am proud to announce my little baby is finally ready to be played by the whole world ! I also apologize for how amateurish the concept topic was. I was really a beginner at the time and barely had any idea what to do and where to go. Oh, and while I'm apologizing, let me apologize for my frequent errors. I'm not a native English speaker, so please correct me as often as possible, or else I won't improve (Same goes with my hack, obviously !). 

Download it here !

I -The Hack's Story 

Spoiler

e from others, and a whole bunch of other

A long time ago, war broke between humans and monsters (Wait, isn’t it that game’s into ?). After years of struggle, humans emerged victorious, and sealed the monsters away with the help of powerful artifacts.
Now, a thousand years later, humans have completely forgotten about this war and these artifacts. In a world in relative peace, everyone lives happy. Despite the King and Queen’s death in an unfortunate accident, everyone is confident that their daughter, the princess Felicity, will be a fit heir and continue their dream of creating a kingdom of peace. Are they right ? Will the princess manage to live up to their expectations ?

You’ll probably never know, since this is mostly irrelevant to the story of this hack. In this joyful world, not everyone lived happily. Some were desperate, some were poor, some had their dreams crushed, some lost everything… And among them is Sylvester. A 30-years old-ish guy who resorted to banditry in order to survive. He and his loyal companion Zweite (Shout-out to every German-speaking person out there who realized just how bad I am to find names for ANYTHING) begin their quest for money by trying to rob an old lady of her money. Unfortunately, they get caught and sent in prison, and from there, everything they’ll do will snowball until they SOMEHOW save the world from a terrifying threat. On their way, they will meet with many different people, each of them being as much of a loser as they are, including the leader of a mercenary guild who just went through a mutiny, a young, angsty (but pretty, I need some waifus) teenage girl with a very different physique from others, and a whole bunch of other flashy, weird losers.

flashy, weird losers.

II - About the Hack

Spoiler

he hack you have in front of your eyes

Three years ago, I started writing a story, about men, about monsters, about fun and about horror. Two years ago, I had an epiphany and realized that my Wii U’s e-shop could allow me to play those game I only ever knew through Super Smash Bros, but really wanted to play : Fire Emblem. After someone pointed out that my characters did share similarities with FE’s characters, I wondered if I could make my story into a game. One-year-and-a-half ago, I discovered Fire Emblem Hacks. If I remember correctly, the first two I’ve heard of were Elibean Nights and Ostian Princess. Amazed by all that could be done on this engine, I downloaded FEBuilder and started making my story into a game.

Except it wouldn’t fit. First off, I decided there wouldn’t be any horses or dragons in my story, just out of spite for their important roles in an usual fantasy setting. How could I make a FE game without them ? Additionally, I didn’t imagine any of my characters according to FE classes, so a lot of them didn’t fit, including the main character ! And to top all that, my story was too long to fit in a 20-30 chapters-long game ! However, I did try anyway, and managed to make two “playable” chapters. During these chapters’ creation, I had to create a new character. An early-game bandit boss. Originally just a Migal recolor, I named him Sylvester. Once I decided to cancel this project, I grew so attached to this guy that I made him an integral part of my story. That’s when I had an idea. If I couldn’t directly make my story into a Fire Emblem, then why not make ANOTHER story ?

That’s how this project was born. The one-shot early-game boss became the main character, and from that point on, everything went easier, eventually becoming the hack you have in front of your eyes.

III - Features

- 22 playable chapters out of 23. I’m not that good at designing things gameplay-wise, but I hope you’ll enjoy some of them !
- 61 playable characters! Each one coming with a different personality ! It’s unlikely you’ll like every one of them, but I’m sure you’ll find a favorite in no time !
- Only infantry ! On both sides ! Horses, Pegasi and Wyverns don’t even exist ! Because some people just want to see the world burn !
- More weapons for some classes, including Assassins and Generals with Bows and Heroes with Lances !
- The most basic bunch of patches you could ever imagine !

IV - Screenshots

6a854fd240bdc19771026e054de24a97ccff9566 68a0e1a3e6b2e3115a0e0fad3a4ac7624232f2b8 

f80a6dd234fa178e96eda83a3ee2f1ade61eb7a8 ab9fa30aff31687e09895de00dabaa7b84d7923c

cc117f2cdbd24a2f433a375e63b4f8ce908ec1cf 445f37538d3c403ce530e7632b6c30a544f45c2f

e0814bb31978e6e8f7cb8cf47b0995bfbfe72d38 2b9aa0621fdb83a7784b5ff3f3d21102066ef90a 

V - Credits :

Spoiler

(Unfortunately, my dumb *ss mistook the file in which I’ve written the credits for another file and sent it straight into the nothingness, so I tried to find back everything I used and credit them to their respective creator. I apologize for any mistake I’ve possibly made.)

Music :
Ant-Man Theme : KTMILLER
Dining Room : Charles Stiles
Ib_-_Memory : Vaati The Wind Mage
Ib_Memory : Hakumi
Hyrule Castle : Megacowz
Molgera : Christian.litser
Let’s Dance Boys : Cthylhu Sciences Music Division Section 2
Pepper Steaks : MrChris01020
ANT MAN : Roddek
Megalovania : CinderFire
Hyrule Castle : Phosphor
The Schemer = Dekkadeci
Shantae Medley = thebandteacher
Bran-Son = BrainyLucario
Lament Of Innocence = Bumbghork Piano
Don’t Speak Her Name = Forblaze
Mipha’s Theme = DS Music

Taken from the Music Blitz :
Driftveil City - Meilu
Fatalize = Meilu (I think ? Not sure. I’ve tested so many versions of it)
Power-Hungry Fool = Nyawenyye
Guile’s Theme = Sme
Mute City = Sme
Linebeck = Sme

From the Music Repository :
Sheena’s Theme (ToS)
Zelos’ Theme (ToS)
Rest Of The Heart (ToS)

Portrait :
Myself !
(Although I did use Shin19’s FE6 mugs with blinking frames for some of them, so he deserves some credits)

Animations :
Legault Assassin + Bow = Andy, SD9K
Jaffar Assassin+ Weapons = DerTheVaporeon, Glenwing, Andy, SD9K, Jj09 (The repo doesn’t say who did what, actually I only used the vanilla animation and the bow)
Female Hero Lance = Pushwall
Male Hero Lance = Pushwall
Amelia Halberdier = Spud, TBA, Black Mage, Temp, Wan
Male Halberdier = TBA
Female Soldier (Ponytail) = Dr0zz
Female Berserker = eCut, Skitty
Female Warrior = Temp
General + Weapons = TBA, DerTheVaporeon, GabrielKnight, JPN
Armored Brigand = TBA
Tethys + Sword = Circleseverywhere
Cleric Repalette = Eldritch Abomination
Priest Repalette = Eldritch Abomination
Bishop Repalette = Eldritch Abomination (Male and female)
(I could not find whoever made the Female Pirate animation I used, sadly)

Patches :
16 Tracks, 12 sounds : Agro, Brendor
256 Color Title Background Installer : Leonarth
Convert Chapter Titles to Text : circleseverywhere
Actions After Support : 7743
Actions After Talk : 7743
HP Bars with Warnings : circleseverywhere
Lose item : Kaito, 7743
Alusq : Native Instrument Map 2

Thanks to :
BrightFlame (For occasional testing and giving his opinon)
Applejuice (For greatly helping me with maps, and almost everything else)

Do you want to be a part of this train wreck I call a project ? Do you have Discord ? Then that’s great, 'cause here’s the project’s discord server : https://discord.gg/vCYEp5E

Thanks for your attention, and I hope you'll have fun playing my hack !

Edited by Zeldacrafter_Swagg

25 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

So what explains the prejudices against horsies?

Well, for all it's worth

Except it wouldn’t fit. First off, I decided there wouldn’t be any horses or dragons in my story, just out of spite for their important roles in an usual fantasy setting.

Also, think of it as a way to make the game more balanced ! 

8 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

Mounted units do tend to be the best in every single FE game.

Well yeah, but that doesn't mean they are necessary to the experience.

This decision was taken long before I started working on the hack and I could have changed it, but it makes my hack stand out a little more and makes all the different units worthy of a place in your team ! 

I don't hate the idea. Flying units especially completely deserve the axe.

This reminds me that you might want to give archers something to compensate if they can't be used to counter them anymore.

Well, about archers, I didn't come up with anything good for the whole class, so I tried to make each one of them stand out for some reason. There are three playable archers currently. The first one is the Jagen archetype, so he's useful at least for a good chunk of this demo, the 2nd one is playable only during one map with tons of tomes, handaxes and javelins and comes with the longbow as well as a good skill (Don't remember the name, unfortunately), and the 3rd one comes with a skill that increases damages against a certain type of unit that will appears frequently in the following chapters. 

I don't know if this'll be enough on the long run, but right now I'm satisfied with how things turned out for archers !

I think you should fix the start of chapter 7, Almost there. A person can restart the chapter to get infinite Hero Crests after saving before they start the chapter.

I would also recommend removing the Arenas or making those chapters with Arenas have a time limit to prevent arena abuse. Story dialog is decent for the theme you are trying to do.

VisualBoyAdvance_2019-08-17_01-48-56.png

Edited by Chaz
wanted to add ss for proof

Ah, yes, this bug. I hoped no one would notice, but it's too late now ! 

Seriously though, I don't know why such things happen. The only solution I can think of is making this specific event (visiting Alfred's cave and receiving the Hero Crest) take place at the end of the last chapter. This will require a lot of writing and some eventing, but it shouldn't be that difficult.

I didn't think leaving the arenas as they were would be that big of a deal. I mean, the GBA FE games had arenas too. But I'll think about it. What if I buffed Stoneharm (You know, the optional boss guarding Ch3's arena) and pulled out the same trick for Ch4 ? Would this be enough ?

Thanks for the compliment about writings, but I really wish to improve and make it as good as possible, so if you have any suggestions, please tell me !

Chapter 8 has some serious bugs. Shell is randomly dying when attacking(she also for some reason has Zweite death quotes). I only notice this after i attack with a 2nd weapon then the 1 i attacked with on the 1st turn using her. Arnold disappears from the map if you talk to Tenebrice after he forces his way on your side on turn 5.

As for writing suggestions, that not my strong point.  

Edited by Chaz

19 hours ago, Chaz said:

Chapter 8 has some serious bugs. Shell is randomly dying when attacking(she also for some reason has Zweite death quotes). I only notice this after i attack with a 2nd weapon then the 1 i attacked with on the 1st turn using her. Arnold disappears from the map if you talk to Tenebrice after he forces his way on your side on turn 5.

As for writing suggestions, that not my strong point.  

I understand where the Arnold bug comes from. However, I have difficulties understanding what happens exactly with Shell. Could you please record what happens ? That would be super-duper helpful !

18 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Ah, a hack starring bandits. It warms my heart to see such honor done to my Irish heritage.

Sounds interesting, I'll try to play it in the near future.

Glad to hear you like the idea ! Although there are a few other hacks out there starring bandits, probably in a more traditional manner than me. I still hope you will enjoy my hack if you manage to play it later !

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this has already been addressed, but I encountered a glitch in the Prologue. Sylvester does 0 damage (in Easy mode, just to be clear) to the Knight in the west corridor, and, as he doubles, the Knight's health starts going up, up to ?? HP (I think 200 or so). I think it doesn't have any effect on gameplay, but better safe than sorry.

11 hours ago, BerserkerCiaran said:

I'm not sure if this has already been addressed, but I encountered a glitch in the Prologue. Sylvester does 0 damage (in Easy mode, just to be clear) to the Knight in the west corridor, and, as he doubles, the Knight's health starts going up, up to ?? HP (I think 200 or so). I think it doesn't have any effect on gameplay, but better safe than sorry.

I see. I thought I had fixed all the bugs around this knight, but it looks like I was mistaken... Well, thanks for telling me about it !

• 3 weeks later...

So, I was having a pretty good time going through this hack, it's got a fairly endearing cast of misfits and I like the map layouts. However, getting to the disaster chapter with the monsters has really messed me up. I had a good time trying to save all the villages, but a few glitches struck, including one which prevents me from getting past the ending cutscene. I can't even get to the part where I (presumably) get a reward for saving people.

Armaduro was rescuing one of the villagers when the chapter ended, if that helps to know.

On 9/22/2019 at 6:35 AM, AnonymousSpeed said:

So, I was having a pretty good time going through this hack, it's got a fairly endearing cast of misfits and I like the map layouts. However, getting to the disaster chapter with the monsters has really messed me up. I had a good time trying to save all the villages, but a few glitches struck, including one which prevents me from getting past the ending cutscene. I can't even get to the part where I (presumably) get a reward for saving people.

Armaduro was rescuing one of the villagers when the chapter ended, if that helps to know.

Oof. Where does the ending cutscene cuts ? If you mean you're getting sent back to the title screen after 

Spoiler

The girl Sylvester is telling the story to has fallen asleep and he's carrying her back to one of the ruins

then it's intentional. But otherwise...

Also, I... I actually didn't implement anything for saving the villagers, sorry. I will most likely add it to a future update, but right now it didn't seem like one of my priorities, I apologize. Is there any other glitch you've encountered that hasn't been reported yet ? 

Other than that, I'm really glad you liked the maps and especially the cast ! I hope you will play future updates too ! And, if you have any criticism toward my writing, or some characters in particular, please tell me !

On 9/23/2019 at 4:39 AM, Zeldacrafter_Swagg said:

Oof. Where does the ending cutscene cuts ? If you mean you're getting sent back to the title screen after 

Reveal hidden contents

The girl Sylvester is telling the story to has fallen asleep and he's carrying her back to one of the ruins

then it's intentional. But otherwise...

It was right after the first part of the cutscene (when the elder and Sylvester talk), as I recall. Right when the camera moves to the ring of villagers, but I don't remember exactly.

On 9/23/2019 at 4:39 AM, Zeldacrafter_Swagg said:

Also, I... I actually didn't implement anything for saving the villagers, sorry. I will most likely add it to a future update, but right now it didn't seem like one of my priorities, I apologize. Is there any other glitch you've encountered that hasn't been reported yet ? 

Other than that, I'm really glad you liked the maps and especially the cast ! I hope you will play future updates too ! And, if you have any criticism toward my writing, or some characters in particular, please tell me !

Giving a villager to Shell crashes Paper Mario.

Nothing in particular for now, though I do hope to keep up to date on future patches.

• 5 months later...

Reviving this thread because I've finally taken the time to update the hack and share it here! A LOT of stuff has been changed in the meantime, so I recommend playing through the game from the beginning again (Who know, there might be new units?); at least for those who haven't followed the hack's progress on FEU. I hope you guys will enjoy it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello, so i decided to try your project today, and lol i didnt expect to have such a surprise hahaha love it.

Edit : In the chapter.... 3 i guess ? " Greed is a mad mistress " sometimes the hack just goes back to the main menu when i press " A " during the battle. It just reset the to the main start menu.

Edited by RimKus

• 2 months later...