Which route was your favourite in FE: 3 Houses?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edelgard route, story-wise. Love that abolishing exploitative nobility baby! Gameplay-wise, Claude by a long margin. It's got everything that Blue Lions and Church have going for them, with a more interesting endgame. (Edelgard isn't even in the running, thanks to the shortness. Even if she has some interesting maps.) 

Ive only played Edelgard and Dimitris routes so far but i think im gonna like church and GD route more because they arent essentially about war and answers main questions that are presented to the character/player while Dimitris and Edelgards are more personal. 

Of what I've played so far, I must say BL. While it does leave some loose ends (I feel cutting it off at 22 chapters to be a bit arbitrary) I love Dimitri's character arc. He is definitely my favorite lord for the series now. 

Ive yet to do Blue Lions, but so far, Claude's route is my favorite. Edelgard's is hella fun but a little unsatisfying. There is one part of that route thats super satisfying to me but its spoilas. Church is a bit too similar to Claude's route but its not bad. 

Golden Deer by a wide margin. It had the best final chapter by far and the most interesting (not to mention, most complete) storyline.
It's also the one with arguably the happiest ending.

But I loved Edelgard's route, too, because

12 hours ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

Love that abolishing exploitative nobility baby!

^That.

Dimitri's was fun, too, but the story was kinda weird in retrospect.

Mostly because it had nothing to do with the overarching plot and Rhea just vanished, never to be seen again.

Blue Lions, no question about it. It fels like it has about twice as much content as Black Eagels, which was pretty bare bones.

From what I've seen/played, story-wise Empire route, gameplay-wise Golden Deer.

If they didn't cut Crimson Flower short and have half the war happen off screen I'd probably say that for gameplay, too. The maps were fun, the problem is there's not enough of them.

Also it really, really irks me that they had to limit Hilda of all people. It doesn't make sense, at all. It's already the most restrictive route in terms of character, don't take away a random one just for the sake of it, what the hell. And don't tell me she's against the empire or whatever, if you can recruit Ingrid (which is the most anti-imperialist character outside of Dimitri) you should be able to get Hilda. Hell, take away Lorenz, who's recruiting Lorenz anyways, but why Hilda 😞

Edited by timon

9 minutes ago, timon said:

From what I've seen/played, story-wise Empire route, gameplay-wise Golden Deer.

If they didn't cut Crimson Flower short and have half the war happen off screen I'd probably say that for gameplay, too. The maps were fun, the problem is there's not enough of them.

Same goes for me. 

I love Edelgard and the Black Eagles was the first house I chose, but dang, the Azure Moon route is way too good. The way Dimitri is written is just great. Tbh I think the other routes pale in comparison to it.

For me so far Black Eagles=Golden Deer>Blue Lions haven't done the 4th route yet so can't say anything on it yet. But both Black Eagles and Golden Deer have majority of my favorite characters and waifus(not saying Blue Lions is bad in that category since I can recruit from there anyway so easy problem solve and Dimitri is still a great character in his route but the overarching plot wasn't really all that there like Black Eagles and Golden Deer were) I got more attachment from their stories since I did there's first and enjoy them I also didn't mind Black Eagles being slightly shorter since they had more advantages and was still a grand adventure regardless and Golden Deer was fun and felt very complete will all loose ends finished and with a great ending.

Spoiler

Black Eagles is also great for making Byleth get back his humanity.

Edited by Mage Goddess Lysithea

I haven't played all routes yet but Crinson Flower right now. It's a great change of pace for FE plots. It also feels like what Conquest wanted to be.

10 hours ago, timon said:

Also it really, really irks me that they had to limit Hilda of all people. It doesn't make sense, at all. It's already the most restrictive route in terms of character, don't take away a random one just for the sake of it, what the hell. And don't tell me she's against the empire or whatever, if you can recruit Ingrid (which is the most anti-imperialist character outside of Dimitri) you should be able to get Hilda. Hell, take away Lorenz, who's recruiting Lorenz anyways, but why Hilda 😞

What's worse is that Hilda actually has a paired ending with Byleth in Crimson Flower. Yet she's completely unrecruitable in that route, which means either IntSys forgot or playable Hilda in Crimson Flower was scrapped at the very last second.

Yeah I don't get why Hilda wasn't recruitable in Crimson Flower...and yeah no excuses can be made when other characters you can possibly get for that path already makes it easily possible I personally hope there's a update for this since her married paired ending with Byleth is already coded in the game and pray this doesn't stay as scrapped....

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I haven't played all routes yet but Crinson Flower right now. It's a great change of pace for FE plots. It also feels like what Conquest wanted to be.

What's worse is that Hilda actually has a paired ending with Byleth in Crimson Flower. Yet she's completely unrecruitable in that route, which means either IntSys forgot or playable Hilda in Crimson Flower was scrapped at the very last second.

I know people have brought this up before, but Hilda flat out says she is happy to be with Claude and the Alliance before the time skip happens. My slow ass finally got to chapter 12 of the GD route. When talking to all the characters, almost all of them are totally shook by that Edelgard has done, including her own Black Eagles Housemates. When you talk to Hilda, she speaks negatively towards Edelgard. With Dimitri, she says he's changed and seems scared of him. Which makes sense because Dimitri is already in "I want to fucking murder Edelgard" mode haha. Too bad for Hilda that I plan to recruit her in my BL run. For whatever reason, Hilda is the only GD girl who seems to be the most attached to Claude? Not even in a romantic kinda way, although I'm curious if Hilda and Claude's A support will come off as romantic. I'd have to look it up, but I'm assuming they get married in their paired ending.

Also, I don't think you can kill Hilda in the BL and BE routes post time skip? I might be wrong, but I could have sworn I've seen people say she just flees after you defeat her in battle and then I guess stays with Claude? Meanwhile, at least still in time skip mode, none of the other GD girls seem all that attached to Claude? So I'm not sure why the writers made such an exception for Hilda.

Edited by xchickengirlx

7 minutes ago, xchickengirlx said:

I know people have brought this up before, but Hilda flat out says she is happy to be with Claude and the Alliance before the time skip happens. My slow ass finally got to chapter 12 of the GD route. When talking to all the characters, almost all of them are totally shook by that Edelgard has done, including her own Black Eagles Housemates. When you talk to Hilda, she speaks negatively towards Edelgard and with Dimitri, shes says he's changed and seems scared of him. Which makes sense because Dimitri is already in "I want to fucking murder Edelgard" mode haha. Too bad for Hilda that I plan to recruit her in my BL run. For whatever reason, Hilda is the only GD girl who seems to be the most attached to Claude? Not even in a romantic kinda way, although I'm curious if Hilda and Claude's A support will come off as romantic. Also, I don't think you can kill Hilda in the BL and BE routes post time skip? I might be wrong, but I could have sworn I've seen people say she just flees after you defeat her in battle and then I guess stays with Claude? Meanwhile, at least still in time skip mode, none of the other GD girls seem all that attached to Claude? So I'm not sure why the writers made such an exception for Hilda.

Spoiler

Her BE paired ending was still in the coding so likely she could've been recruitable there. Also she can be recruitable in BL and permanent despite being scared of him only in a small window but very possible. Hilda CAN be killed in BE in the last battle with Claude regardless of any one of his fate he can get but possible to avoid if you work for it.

Edited by Mage Goddess Lysithea

I still have to think on my favorite one.

All I can say for sure is that Edelgard's route will likely be my least favorite. It left a sour taste in my mouth by the end of it, particularly since Edelgard is so off base with many of her assumptions on history. 

40 minutes ago, xchickengirlx said:

I know people have brought this up before, but Hilda flat out says she is happy to be with Claude and the Alliance before the time skip happens. My slow ass finally got to chapter 12 of the GD route. When talking to all the characters, almost all of them are totally shook by that Edelgard has done, including her own Black Eagles Housemates. When you talk to Hilda, she speaks negatively towards Edelgard. With Dimitri, she says he's changed and seems scared of him. Which makes sense because Dimitri is already in "I want to fucking murder Edelgard" mode haha. Too bad for Hilda that I plan to recruit her in my BL run. For whatever reason, Hilda is the only GD girl who seems to be the most attached to Claude? Not even in a romantic kinda way, although I'm curious if Hilda and Claude's A support will come off as romantic. I'd have to look it up, but I'm assuming they get married in their paired ending.

Also, I don't think you can kill Hilda in the BL and BE routes post time skip? I might be wrong, but I could have sworn I've seen people say she just flees after you defeat her in battle and then I guess stays with Claude? Meanwhile, at least still in time skip mode, none of the other GD girls seem all that attached to Claude? So I'm not sure why the writers made such an exception for Hilda.

See, here's the thing though. There are characters that have attachment to their Lord and homeland and still fight for Edelgard. Someone brought up Ingrid, so let's use another example about her. Ingrid's fiancee died defending the king in the Tragedy of Duscar. And yet, you're able to recruit Ingrid so she'd not only betray her homeland, but the memory of her fiance.

Annette and Felix can be recruited in the Crimson Flower route despite both of them having fathers fighting for the Kingdom. Lorenz, who condemns nobles starting revolutions, can be recruited in Crimson Flower. When you consider all of this, it doesn't make sense why Hilda can't be recruited in that route. She's attached to Claude? Well, Ingrid, Sylvain and Felix are childhood friends with Dimitri. She likes the Alliance? All the Blue Lions like the Kingdom. Do you see my point? Even if she does like Claude, it's not like she has such unwavering loyalty to him like the kind Hubert and Dedue have for Edelgard and Dimitri.

The way i see it

Spoiler

Because you can only recruit most characters pre-timeskip, the Blue Lions and Golden Deer folks you have recruited will see Rhea turn into the big scary dragon and they'll be like "ok maybe Edelgard was onto something". That's my base explanation for recruited characters staying with you (because some, like Sylvain and Lysethia, have very good reason to stay with Edelgard).

Well since BE and BL both have un recruitable retainer type characters, maybe the developers thought they needed to make one character from GD be un-recruitable on at least one route. Honestly out of all the GD, Hilda makes the most sense to want nothing to do with Edelgard’s revolution and support her cause. 

I also don’t see how Hilda could ever like Edelgard as a person. Their personalities are so polar opposite of each other.

Hilda is such a no-nonsense character and compared to most of the other characters, she doesn’t have as much at stake, some tragic backstory, or difficult family situation. Where as you can make a much better argument for why they other characters would side with Edelgard or Dimitri.

Spoiler

Edited by xchickengirlx

I mean I get your point, but if you're going to make her a retainer then why the hell is she recruitable in other routes. And let's be honest, siding with Dimitri is A LOT more disturbing...

Also what people say during explore has little impact, because depending on the path you chose they will have a justification. Think of Ferdinand, in Crimson Flower he says that he after all thinks highly of Edelgard and wants to do his duty better than his father. In any other rote he can't stand her because she took his land and title.

And as already pointed out, there are many characters that are more opposite than Hilda, Ingrid literally speaks of "imperial scum", Annette feels incredibly wrong as she betrays everything she knows for no real reason (never seen her speak of anti crests/nobility ideals). Mercedes is a firm believer, has already escaped the Empire once, and yet goes back to fight against her religion for some revolution she doesn't really care about?

If you then think that there are paired ending for Hilda in that route it really starts to look like an overlook more than a decision.

For now I'd say BE, I respect Edelgards character it takes a lot of guts and willpower to do what she did for Fodlan and change it in such a way. Everyone should read her supports with Manuela, it is very humanizing and gives depth to some of Edelgards actions.

That said, Im kinda losing interest in BL route, its the route I've been playing for the last 10 FE games... Dimitri is a well written character however. Have yet to start on GD

As of now, my favorite route is Golden Deer, followed by Black Eagles/Church, with Black Eagles/Empire and Blue Lions fighting for 3rd. I’ve only actually finished the first three, and kinda-sorta followed along with a friend’s Blue Lions run.

I really like the completeness of the information about Byleth and Fodlan that you get on GD and Black Eagles/Church. Actually taking the fight to the Agarthans is also a big thing for me (and I’m still disappointed that it doesn’t happen in Black Eagles/Empire). Golden Deer is the clear winner because that final battle is absolutely wonderful, and the ending gives me more of a warm fuzzy feeling.

Black Eagles/Empire didn’t give me warm fuzzies at all, but the concept of burning the broken system to the ground and starting fresh was unique and interesting. I hear there’s a lot of good character development in Blue Lions, so I’m looking forward to that. Time will tell if it claims victory over Black Eagles/Empire.