Which route was your favourite in FE: 3 Houses?

I've done Crimson Flower and Blue Lions thus far, in that order, halfway through Golden Deer (just got to the timeskip), but between those two it's hard to choose, really. I found them both to be most gripping, in their own ways. Blue Lions actually had me rushing through the months a lil just to progress with the story!

On the other hand, Golden Deer seems a lot more chill. Understandably it's less intense by comparison up to now, although but I've been noticing small hints dropping here and there about Claude that I'm interested to see be paid off later.

If I were hard pressed to pick a favorite I would say Blue Lions, mostly because of the writing for Dimitri. Still, they were both emotional rollercoasters in their own right, for sure...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crimsom Flower its by far my favorite route even if though it seems kind of shafted in comparison to the other ones.

Church route its probably my second favorite even though i didnt like the ending that much.

Blue Lions is mine so far. I loved the writing and growth of Dimitri's character (safe to say he's definitely my favorite Lord) and even though it doesn't touch much upon the Lore, I didn't particularly find myself missing it during the playthrough itself. There were just so many twists and surprises throughout and it just really kept me going~ Only real complaint is one chapter seems like it should have taken at least two and we don't get to hear from Rhea again at  the end~

I like the principle behind Edelgard’s story, doing away with the nobility and freeing humanity from the child of a god who has been manipulating events behind the scenes and falsifying history in her favor for a millennium just because she misses her mom, but it’s definitely the weakest path gameplay-wise.

Claude’s story is good if you actually want answers to the big overarching questions and want to actually defeat Those Who Slither (and not in the epilogue, I’m talking in gameplay, no idea why you don’t get to actually fight them in Edelgard’s route).

i just started Dimitri’s route, so can’t speak to that one yet, but I hear it’s good.

Edited by ZanaLyrander

Went through Dimitri's and Claude's route so far. I loved the personal note BL's route had, but I honestly enjoyed the characters and camaraderie in GD so they got my vote.

Golden Deer for me, story feels the most complete and Claude is by far the smartest Lord in the game.

Crimson Flower is neat because they did what they said they would do in conquest and it was straight up a conquer everything route.

Blue Lion made act 1 feel important but was too all over the place for me in part 2.

Haven't played church but I'm not sure I've ever seen a good thing posted about it.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:34 AM, CrimsonRaven said:

For now I'd say BE, I respect Edelgards character it takes a lot of guts and willpower to do what she did for Fodlan and change it in such a way. Everyone should read her supports with Manuela, it is very humanizing and gives depth to some of Edelgards actions.

That said, Im kinda losing interest in BL route, its the route I've been playing for the last 10 FE games... Dimitri is a well written character however. Have yet to start on GD

I think that one of the many reasons why Dmitri is really like he pretty much a vanilla FE lord. he  fight for the good of the people and justice and the whole hero shebang and  he just has the whole I am not a Marth clone for what a few chapters for a bit. I mean hes edgy Marth pretty much.

Edited by Mikethemaster2018

Of the two routes I’ve done so far (BE and GD), GD feels more polished and answers far more questions, but I do have some gripes with it.

First of all, the three way battle at Gronder field was bullshit. Dimitri just shows up out of nowhere, attack’s you for no good reason when his entire focus should be on getting revenge on Edelgard, keeps attacking you even if you wipe out the Empire’s units first, and then dies anticlimactically off screen. All in all Dimitri contributed nothing to the plot and his conclusion cheapened him as a character by making him look like a dumbass. They would have been better off having him actually executed off screen and having him never show up in the route after the time skip, this was just insulting to his character. 

Second, the final battle against Nemesis was badass in terms of the actual gameplay, but as a final boss, he felt extremely out of place. This was a guy who had been dead for a thousand years, and had no relevance to the current war, only being important to Rhea’s backstory. And as a character, he’s a bland non-entity with essentially no personality or motivation. Again, the fight was cool, but compared to the final battle against Rhea in the Black Eagles route, I had essentially no investment in the conflict. None of my characters had ever even met this guy before, which makes sense, because he’s been dead for a thousand years. Even the Ten Elites felt wasted... these are twisted recreations of many of these characters’ ancestors, and they don’t really do anything with it, the Ten Elites don’t even speak, and aside from name and weapon, are indistinguishable from random standard enemies. It was just a kinda weird note to end the game on is all. 

2 hours ago, ZanaLyrander said:

Of the two routes I’ve done so far (BE and GD), GD feels more polished and answers far more questions, but I do have some gripes with it.

First of all, the three way battle at Gronder field was bullshit. Dimitri just shows up out of nowhere, attack’s you for no good reason when his entire focus should be on getting revenge on Edelgard, keeps attacking you even if you wipe out the Empire’s units first, and then dies anticlimactically off screen. All in all Dimitri contributed nothing to the plot and his conclusion cheapened him as a character by making him look like a dumbass. They would have been better off having him actually executed off screen and having him never show up in the route after the time skip, this was just insulting to his character. 

Second, the final battle against Nemesis was badass in terms of the actual gameplay, but as a final boss, he felt extremely out of place. This was a guy who had been dead for a thousand years, and had no relevance to the current war, only being important to Rhea’s backstory. And as a character, he’s a bland non-entity with essentially no personality or motivation. Again, the fight was cool, but compared to the final battle against Rhea in the Black Eagles route, I had essentially no investment in the conflict. None of my characters had ever even met this guy before, which makes sense, because he’s been dead for a thousand years. Even the Ten Elites felt wasted... these are twisted recreations of many of these characters’ ancestors, and they don’t really do anything with it, the Ten Elites don’t even speak, and aside from name and weapon, are indistinguishable from random standard enemies. It was just a kinda weird note to end the game on is all. 

Honestly, I'm inclined to agree with you here. The fight with Nemesis (and TWSITD in general) would make a lot more sense being BE route post-Rhea fight, considering everything Edelgard has suffered through because of them and the fact she knows about them more than anyone else. In GD you even find that Hubert knew where their base was, so why in BE couldn't you be like "OK we brought down the church and all, now quick hit TWSITD before they can try to off Edelgard since she's accomplished a lot of what they wanted (plus the interaction between Edelgard and Arundel after the Arianrhod fight suggests this is a very real possibility)"

I finished Blue Lions, and I just passed timeskip in Black Eagles.  

Loved Blue Lions.  Good story, great cast of characters.  I thought chapter 17 (I think it was 17?  It was the one with the Gronder Field rematch) was a weak point, but that was a small spot on an otherwise amazing experience.  Obviously I have a lot left to do, but this route will be a tough bar for the other routes to clear.

I'm enjoying Black Eagles, but there are more problems with it.  Contrary to a lot of the chatter, I don't think Edelgard is a problem at all.  She's a very good character IMO.  My problem is that staying by her side basically requires Byleth to be stupid in a way that is uncomfortably reminiscent of Corrin in Fates.  Even if Byleth weighs her transgressions against her ideals and ultimately decides to follow her, I feel that a lot of the things in which she is at least partially complicit - Flayn's abduction, Remire's destruction, Jeralt's death - should have been addressed with her, and they weren't.  She gets a free pass for all of the knives she put in Byleth's back, and all of the times she manipulated him.  

Edited by Roc

Black Eagles.

I don't see myself to do any other route in the game. IS heavily brought this story with most plot twist than the other two...it seems. Have not played the other two routes but I hear that Blue Lions has a more depressing kind of woe to it. Have to play to find out though.

Edlegard's route (Watched On Youtube)

...And yes...I will choose to kill Claude on Edlegards route for the fact to show the game actually having some balls into doing so and that Edlegard is MEANT to be made to be a love/hate kind of character!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I played through the Empire route and really enjoyed it, though it did feel kinda short and the last two battles were balls to the walls nuts. I really think the strongest point of that route is the characterization of Edelgard, which playing the church route next makes me feel conflicted about betraying Edelgard... Also having seen the insanity not very deep beneath the surface in Rhea makes this kinda awkward 

The church route feels a lot easier than the Empire route too. 

I’ve nearly completed all four routes (almost finished Church) and for me it’s:

1. Blue Lions

2. Golden Deer 

3. Church 

4. Black Eagles

On 8/22/2019 at 10:21 AM, Roc said:

My problem is that staying by her side basically requires Byleth to be stupid in a way that is uncomfortably reminiscent of Corrin in Fates.  Even if Byleth weighs her transgressions against her ideals and ultimately decides to follow her, I feel that a lot of the things in which she is at least partially complicit - Flayn's abduction, Remire's destruction, Jeralt's death - should have been addressed with her, and they weren't.  

This is why Black Eagles is in last place for me. I was hoping for more nuance from the plot and for Edelgard to surprise me with some good reasoning, but I actually feel Edelgard is more sympathetic/understandable in Blue Lions and that Black Eagles made her seem more villainous than I was expecting. 

Currently starting my 4th playthrough of the game, and having done Golden Deer, Black Eagles, and Blue Lions in that order, this is what I think...

In the end, I like the Black Eagles - Empire route the best. Personally for me, a lot of Edelgard's supports seemed to humanize her pretty well, which allowed me to sympathize with her end goals easily enough. Not only that, but it also feels pretty interesting to play as the 'villain' in this route as well, considering we're upending a status quo that's been in place for a long time. The only disappointing things are that it's shorter than the other routes and we don't personally get to take down TWSITD ourselves.

Granted, Golden Deer (and the Church route) have answers for the true history of Byleth and the world around them, but strangely that wasn't really enough to hold my interest.

Golden Deer. My way of thinking is extremely in line with Claude’s as it turns out. I value free thinking and acceptance to a tee so I was pleasantly surprised come the timeskip.

My enjoyment of the Golden Deer class rendered me unwilling to play the other routes. I merely watch other people play Blue Lions (Dimitri’s story is so good)... Black Eagles not so much because Edelgard’s logic drives me up a wall, but that’s a whole different topic. 

Needless to say Verdant Wind was a real breath of fresh air compared what I usually get out of Fire Emblem games.

Edited by Lord Ramble

Currently Golden Deer because Claude's leadership and personal charm, I also agree with above that Nemesis fight needs some improvement.

Silver Snow follows despite I like it's concept more(Byleth strikes out on his own rather than being a follower), but gameplay wise not offering enough uniqueness compared to Golden Deer, hopefully DLC will address this.

Dimitri for some reason doesn't click with me as much, his indifference attitude for the first few chapters post skip was quite trying my patience. Maybe it's why I really like Silver Snow.

Edelgard while I understand her motives, I can't agree with her methods and justifications, especially much of it was built on misinformation. Her path is also way too short, with unsatisfied closure both gameplay and story wise (like ending texts says basic all the noble kept their power, so what happened to the promise of abolishing nobility?)

Edited by Timlugia

Currently going through my Blue Lions run, and while I still have a lot of Part 2 to go, I have some feedback on the parts I’ve already experienced.

Spoiler

First of all, Part 1 for the Blue Lions is great. A lot of the events and characters of Part 1 are far more meaningful for the Blue Lions than the other two houses, and it feels like Part 1 was mostly tailored with the Blue Lions in mind. This is good, because Blue Lions Part 2, at least the first four or so chapters, has been shit. Dedue being absent for so long is annoying enough, especially since they barely even dwell on his offscreen ‘death’, and hardly anyone even seems to care.

But Dimitri... I’m just gonna come right out and say it, I fully understand why he behaves the way he does, the guy has been through hell, he’s basically had untreated PTSD since he was 9. But that doesn’t make him any less of an insufferable, angsty, edgy brat. He treats his friends like garbage, his motivation doesn’t even make logical sense (Dimitri, Edelgard was like 8 years old when your family was murdered, why would you think she is somehow the mastermind behind the assassination?) and he’s frankly a boring, unlikeable character. I’m sure he improves and stabilized as the story progresses, but that doesn’t excuse his behavior, and I’m unlikely to forget him saying to my face that he’s just going to use me and my friends to achieve his revenge even if it kills us. This guy is a remorseless piece of shit so far, and it’s gonna take a lot to forgive him.

Every time he opens his mouth, I want to tell him “shut up, the adults are talking.”

Edited by ZanaLyrander

5 hours ago, ZanaLyrander said:

Currently going through my Blue Lions run, and while I still have a lot of Part 2 to go, I have some feedback on the parts I’ve already experienced.

Hide contents

First of all, Part 1 for the Blue Lions is great. A lot of the events and characters of Part 1 are far more meaningful for the Blue Lions than the other two houses, and it feels like Part 1 was mostly tailored with the Blue Lions in mind. This is good, because Blue Lions Part 2, at least the first four or so chapters, has been shit. Dedue being absent for so long is annoying enough, especially since they barely even dwell on his offscreen ‘death’, and hardly anyone even seems to care.

But Dimitri... I’m just gonna come right out and say it, I fully understand why he behaves the way he does, the guy has been through hell, he’s basically had untreated PTSD since he was 9. But that doesn’t make him any less of an insufferable, angsty, edgy brat. He treats his friends like garbage, his motivation doesn’t even make logical sense (Dimitri, Edelgard was like 8 years old when your family was murdered, why would you think she is somehow the mastermind behind the assassination?) and he’s frankly a boring, unlikeable character. I’m sure he improves and stabilized as the story progresses, but that doesn’t excuse his behavior, and I’m unlikely to forget him saying to my face that he’s just going to use me and my friends to achieve his revenge even if it kills us. This guy is a remorseless piece of shit so far, and it’s gonna take a lot to forgive him.

Every time he opens his mouth, I want to tell him “shut up, the adults are talking.”

It’s a minor nitpick but:

Spoiler

Dimitri and Edelgard were actually 13 when the tragedy of Duscur occurred, so it’s not completely outside the realms of impossibility that Dimitri would believe Edelgard might have something to do with it.

14 minutes ago, Res said:

Hide contents

Dimitri and Edelgard were actually 13 when the tragedy of Duscur occurred, so it’s not completely outside the realms of impossibility that Dimitri would believe Edelgard might have something to do with it.

And isn’t Dimitri fought as a military commander just at age 14, less than a year later?

1 hour ago, Res said:

Hide contents

Wait, I was almost certain someone said that the Tragedy of Duscur was nine years ago... maybe I’m misremembering. 

Verdant Wind aligns the best with my own ideals and Claude's charisma pretty much carries the route.

Azure Moon is second and has an excellent personal story for Dimitri.

Silver Snow is 3rd. Solid route overall.

And finally, Crimson Flower is last. Not that I hate it or anything, but I don't agree with Edelgard's methodology of the ends justifying the means. It left a bad taste in my mouth when all was said and done.