Which route was your favourite in FE: 3 Houses?

17 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

Wait, I was almost certain someone said that the Tragedy of Duscur was nine years ago... maybe I’m misremembering. 

Spoiler

It’s nine years ago in Act 2, by which time Dimitri is 22. 🙂 That might be what you remember?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gameplay wise I like Azure Moon the best, but ending wise I like Silver Snow since it supposedly bring the true peace and major civilization renaissance under Byleth's leadership. (anyone noticed Byleth has an automobile in Silver Snow ending mural?)

• 7 months later...

1st. Silver Snow , I hate fight students so I be happy they is not a gronder field battle and it's a true route for Byleth. I don't care if Dimitri or Claude is dead. Edelgard is most villain in the game. In chapter 21 every student was happy as a Black Eagle , Blue Lions and Golden Deer (I recruited everyone). Sad for Rhea but it's ok. I really hate Edelgard , Dimitri and Claude. Finally, married Lysithea is the best in this route. She is happy.

2nd. Verdant Wind. This is interesting route same at Silver Snow but it's really horrible in Gronder Field and Nemesis. But this is the route well we fight the real enemy but no yet end this war because Nemesis. Honestly I like this route because Edelgard is evil. Same at Dimitri. I want fight them for end the Kingdom and Imperial. I just recruit Ingrid.

3rd. Azure Moon. The reason is I really hate the Empire. But it's too horrible this story. Kill students is horrible ! Dimitri can't learn before Chapter 18 and Dedue arrive too late in Chapter 16. How can I carry them ?! No Byleth history. I really scared this route. Poor Claude if I can choose his house at the beginning. I have recruited Caspar for paralogue and Lysithea for poor girl.

4th. Crimson flower. Why do you kill innocent people and your poor students ? Why Rudolph and Ladislava can't join and dies ? You must be blamed by Dimitri and Claude if you fight them ! Claude want I choose him ! No Edelgard ! Dimitri is sad ! He speaks why I choose Edelgard in this horror. This route blame me so hard. I recruit Sylvain , Ingrid (Those two is very strong at the enemy) and Lysithea (Connected with the empire).

I posted here already, but I didn't rank the routes like I see people doing. Will be commenting spoilers below.

1. Azure Moon- Best and truest route imo. It felt very Fire Emblem and Dimitri's character is very well written. Though I love Edelgard, this is the only route where I'm actually "okay" with her death. I thought it was nicely handled and the final cutscene was sad but great. I really liked how Dimitri gave every possible chance he could to spare Edelgard. Part 1 also felt made for Blue Lions since a lot of the enemies are tied in with the characters. Overall the house has the best characters too.
  2. Crimson Flower- This was the first route I played and kind of made me a bit disappointed in the game tbh. I didn't dislike it, but I am glad I played this route first. It definitely made me hate Rhea even more than I already had in Part 1 and made Edelgard my favorite character in the game. The characters in the house are good, but not the best.
  3. Verdant Wind- This route was interesting and honestly, kind of made Claude appear to be pretty sleazy (I think that's the word I want to use). I don't think he's any better than Edelgard and uses her war to get what he truly wants. Edelgard's death is also super dark and I hate it. Verdant Wind also ended up feeling far less unique thanks to Silver Snow being very similar. Golden Deer probably had the second best house as far as characters go. I also love Claude's final class.
  4. Silver Snow- This route is just pretty meh all round. No Dimitri, no Edelgard, and no Claude. Not having any of those characters is just boring and the story is basically Verdant Wind but worse.
Edited by SSbardock84

Azure Moon. I really liked how it provided a clear arc for Dimitri from psychosis to redemption, and there is strong foil between Edelgard and Dimitri. There's also the fact part 1 feels very tied to Blue Lions, I could go into more depth, but I don't feel like writing an essay, is I'll leave a t# BlueLionsForLife.

I agree Azure Moon is the great route because we killed Cornelia and Arundel (Thales) and finally rip all the shadow. This route is get the more characters. He we are my 15 paired ending. This is my 5th run  :

Gilbert alone
Shamir / Cyril
Hanneman / Manuella
Alois / Catherine
Seteth / Flayn
Ignatz / Marianne
Caspar / Bernadetta
Raphael / Leonie
Linhardt / Petra
Lorenz / Hilda
Ferdinand / Dorothea
Ashe / Mercedes
Sylvain / Ingrid
Felix / Annette
Dimitri / Dedue
Byleth / Lysithea

Crimson flower is my worst run ever because less character.

Interesting to see how it's pretty close to a three-way tie between the non-church routes so far. I do enjoy the church route being way the heck behind the others though~

Anyway, my take: I go back and forth between Crimson Flower and Azure Moon.

Crimson Flower is a great ground-level look at establishing a better world and the costs involved in doing that. It's not a sunshine and rainbows route (none of them are, really) but it's the one which most owns what you're doing. Also Rhea is a great antagonist who was built-up extremely well in part 1 as someone I badly wanted to see removed from power and so I was happy to play a route about that. And finally, it's the best route for Byleth; I absolutely love the ending where, as a capstone of her own personal story of becoming more human, she finally fully becomes one as a reflection of the choices she made (and emphasis on choice here, I liked how you have to make a conscious decision to side with Edelgard and make her dream a reality).

Azure Moon has some beautiful storytelling of its own, though. The scene where Edelgard and Dimitri speak before the battle of Enbarr and all but talk over each other due to how irreconcilably different their worldviews are will always be my favourite from an intellectual standpoint, and the wordless ending scene is some of the best showing-rather-than-telling in a game that too often does the opposite. Dimitri's descent into madness and redemption are both very compelling too.

Both routes have two of my favourite final battles in the series; you're fighting someone with clear stakes and in both cases it's someone who is morally complicated but for whom co-existing with has become impossible. This in contrast to a series which so often has final bosses who are generic baby-eating evil dragons/demons.

In a distant third is Verdant Wind. There's a thread on its problems active on the board right now so I won't go into detail here. The short of it is that while Claude is great and alone guarantees that I enjoyed this route enough to play it multiple times, the route itself just doesn't have the same sort of emotional or thematic resonance. It seems to want some of the same social change as Crimson Flower but isn't honest about how to accomplish it (i.e. you're still doing it by conquest, but the game kinda dances around this fact), and the last two fights kinda feel nonsensical, especially Nemesis who makes no sense at all in the context of the rest of the story (and is a boring zombie).

In a still more distant fourth is Silver Snow. This route is trash and doesn't know what it wants to be about, relies on a piece of cardboard to carry its story and puts that piece of cardboard in charge of the continent as an immortal autocrat at the end, like Rhea only without the balance from the other three nations' political leaders. Great.

CF

VW

AM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SS

SS is unfixable for me no matter what route it is attached to. A route without a leader other than Byleth doesn't work because the story is about Byleth and there relationships with others not Solo Byleth. That is unless they make it about something so much diffrent from the rest of the game like a Byleth never goes to Gareg Mach route but that is never happening.

Edited by vikingsfan92

AM>CF>VW=SS

Azure Moon will always be my favourite mainly because it is the happiest ending (3 of 4 of the main characters survive, you can save every student sans Edelgard and Hubert, you kill all main figure heads in TWSITD and Dimitri is able to heal rather than die tormented). It is also the closest to simple/vanilla Fire Emblem which I always love (I mean both Shadow Dragon and Binding Blade are games I rank) and this route is my favourite version of Edelgard. Obviously it has it's downsides, mainly being its lack of dealing with TWSITD properly (in that despite Thales dying, they are probably still active, just wont be as powerful) however I personally don't mind it too much (and it's not like every route has issues when concerning TWSITD). Also, my other main gripe is the lack of Dedue because the devs thought he should be optional even though they could've made extra scenes if you saved Dedue but whatever... Overall I love this route.

Despite the fact I'm not a big fan of Edelgard as a protagonist (mainly because I hate CF's ending and the future it establishes for Fodlan like, really, a 'meritocracy'???), it is the most different of the routes gameplay wise so it is a nice refresher and it is a Conquest done right. I do wish it was longer (I still don't get why they couldn't have given us a battle with Thales is dubstep city and some super powered Agarthan automaton as a final boss to fully end the TWSITD saga rather than leave it in the epilogue) and I also feel like this was the most Byleth-worshippy path but otherwise I enjoyed the route (especially Rhea since she is such a non-factor in other routes besides the final two chapters of VW and SS).

VW and SS are equal but the only reason I would prefer VW over SS is because of Claude and the fact the Golden Deer feel present unlike the Black Eagles who don't really in SS. However, VW does lose points because Claude feels so stagnant and I feel like they don't delve into his desire to break borders and unify Fodlan and to simplify it I guess, end racism essentially,  but instead focus on lore dumping everything about Fodlan in the last few chapters which SS also covers. While yes Claude uncovering secrets is something about him he wished to do (and it makes sense an outsider who is not well versed nor has has his views altered by society like Edlegard's had learning the truth make sense) I still wished it focused more on his other desires. SS is mostly fine tbh, I just wish Byleth had someone to bounce off of since they're not the most compelling protagonist by themselves and Edlegard, for what she was supposed to be was rather underwhelming (which was the case in VW too).

Personally I liked VW and AM way more than CF and SS I just really enjoyed VW AM more cause that's kinda when I figured out most of the mechanics as I went in completely blind not looking at any information after E3. but by my 4th run which was CF (which yes meant i did SS first) I was starting to enjoy the game less due to playing it to much on top of CF being very clearly rushed as well as accidentally locking myself into SS again by forgetting to talk to Edelgard meaning i had to play part 1 over again (yay...). 

Also I warp skiped like well over half the post timeskip maps cause its fun to 1 turn a map. 

Also VW has the best Endgame map and theme.

I have only played Crimson Flower and Verdant Wind so far. Of the two, Crimson Flower has to be my favourite:

I prefer the Black Eagles over the Golden Deer, and I find Edelgard more interesting than Claude. And that's both in terms of the students as characters and as units. 

I prefer how Chapter 12 and the Part 2 chapters are handled in Crimson Flower. Chapter 12 is a far more interesting fight in the Crimson Flower route, with a proper back-and-forth as the opponents reveal more and more tricks up their sleeve, and the boss isn't redundant. I like how the bridge of myrdin chapter is done from the opposite side in Crimson Flower. 

I prefer how there was a clear thematic intent in Crimson Flower that was actually carried out; it wasn't perfect, as the conflict with TWSITD was done off-screen in the epilogue, but it was handled better than Claude's, "I want to open up Fodlan to the outside world". 

3 hours ago, Blackstarskywalker said:

Rhea survives on Azure Moon? I did that route recently, and saw nothing of her at the end.

Yeah she's never actually shown at the end of Azure Moon however unlike in the other routes where she suffers damage from Thales' missile things, she never does and thus is never injured which is the cause of her death in VW (and is part of he rloosing control in SS aswell I think) and in some endings of certain characters, namely Catherine, it references her going to Zanado with Rhea after she stepped down as archbishop to live in isolation and protect her.

Though Rhea can actually live in SS (without marrying Byleth) and VW (I believe in VW anyways) if you get an A support with her and her living is referenced in endings, again, namely being Catherine's. But Azure Moon is the only route where she is guaranteed to live.

40 minutes ago, Azz said:

Yeah she's never actually shown at the end of Azure Moon however unlike in the other routes where she suffers damage from Thales' missile things, she never does and thus is never injured which is the cause of her death in VW (and is part of he rloosing control in SS aswell I think) and in some endings of certain characters, namely Catherine, it references her going to Zanado with Rhea after she stepped down as archbishop to live in isolation and protect her.

Though Rhea can actually live in SS (without marrying Byleth) and VW (I believe in VW anyways) if you get an A support with her and her living is referenced in endings, again, namely being Catherine's. But Azure Moon is the only route where she is guaranteed to live.

Okay. In my Azure Moon play Catherine remains as Shamir's partner, but I didn't read anything about Rhea. Thanks for the information

Just now, Blackstarskywalker said:

Okay. In my Azure Moon play Catherine remains as Shamir's partner, but I didn't read anything about Rhea. Thanks for the information

Yeah, it's only some of Catherine's endings (like her solo one and I think her ending with Seteth also that mentions it).

My recap death students as be killed in 3 route.

Crimson flower :

- Leonie

- Ignatz

- Hilda

- Claude (Killed of course)

Rhea super rage after killing Seteth and Flayn

- Felix

- Mercedes

- Dedue

- Dimitri

- Ashe

- Annette

Azure Moon

- Ferdinand

- Lorenz

- Leonie

- Raphael

- Ignatz

- Bernadetta

- Hilda (Sorry I can't save her)

- Linhardt

- Dorothea

- Petra

- Hubert 

- Edelgard

Verdant Wind :

- Ashe

- Ferdinand

- Sylvain

- Felix

- Mercedes

- Bernadetta

- Linhardt

- Caspar

- Hubert

- Petra

- Dorothea

- Edelgard

Silver Snow 

- Ashe (Spared)

- Lorenz (Spared)

Ingrid and Lysithea is been recruited in my all route.

Crimson flower :

- Pro : Know more characters (Judith , Nader , Rodrigue , Cornelia , Arundel , Gilbert) , epic fight and very hard. 

- Cons : Too short (18 chapter). Every one die it's poor. The Black Eagle need a Tank to be survive.

Azure Moon :

- Pro : Fhirdiad , Derdriu and Enbarr. More playable characters present in this story. 

- Cons : Dimitri can't be learn in chapter 13 to 17. Dedue arrive so late in chapter 16. The Blues Lions need to be a magic wrap to advance quickly like Lysithea. Story too long.

Verdant Wind 

- Pro : Strong team , kill the real enemy (Thales) , more cutscene and best final boss.

- Con : Can't visit Fhirdiad in Faehgust capital same at Derdriu , the Golden Deer need a forward sword like Felix , Catherine.

Silver snow

- Pro : Byleth route , his true story , kill the real enemy (Thales) and only 4 students to be killed. Every student is so happy if we talked in Chapter 21 exploration.

- Con : Same at Verdant Wind can't fight in Fhirdiad and Derdriu , kill Edelgard is broken hearts , no lord , and Final Map is super hard.

Edited by drattakbowser

1) Verdant Wind
I enjoy Claude's character the most, and I enjoy lore dumps. Also that last chapter is my absolute favorite, as well as the cutscene that follows it. (Which includes my favorite line in 3H.)

2) Azure Moon
Unpopular opinion, I don't like Dimitri's dark days. They just came out of nowhere for me and I still don't think I get it. Other than that, great route, with some of the best mind blown moments.

3) Silver Snow
I know, another unpopular opinion, but I really enjoy lore dumps. Missing a real main character is not so nice though.

4) Crimson Flower
I disagree with pretty much everything she does. I understand her reasoning, and agree with most of it. But her conclusions and actions I could never condone and I hate myself/Byleth each time I support any of it. (Which is too bad because Edelgard is a cool unit to play with.)

• 1 month later...

Best to worst  :

1st : Azure Moon (All recruit)

2nd : Silver Snow (All recruit)

3rd : Verdant Wind (All recruit)

4th : Crimson Flower (All recruit)

5th : Verdant Wind (No recruit)

6th : Silver Snow (No recruit)

7th : Crimson Flower (No recruit)

8th : Azure Moon (No recruit)