Characters you disliked that eventually won you over. *Minor Spoilers*

Dalquist

Ferdinand:  His attitude towards Edelgard and his love for the nobility was annoying at first but he really does have a noble spirit.  His supports with other characters like Marianne, Bernadetta, Hubert and especially Lorentz (hilariously pompous duo) really won me over.

Dorothea:  Found her shallow in the first half but very down to earth in the second (although a bit sad).  Go to her roster page and read her dislikes 😖.

Lindhardt:  Didn't particularly like his supports with the MC but his supports with Bernadetta, Lysithea and others really won me over.

Hanneman:  Boring character at first but his supports with Hubert and Edelgard provide valuable information about the empire and Edelgard's father.

Alois:  Jeralt finds him annoying and I like Jeralt so...  But after going through his supports it's tough not to like him.

Leonie:  Her attitude towards the MC at first is annoying but she gets better.  Waaaaaaay better.

Seteth:  Really warms up to you and becomes your right hand man in the church path.

Felix:  Rude all the way through and all he does is challenge you.  But he beats you in a duel so you gotta respect him.

Bernadetta:  I liked her from the start but she was too over-the-top in part 1.  Mellows out in part 2.

The reverse (Characters you liked at first but liked less after getting to know them)

Caspar: I loved that we was the second son of a noble who was working hard to cut his own path since he had no inheritance coming his way.  But his yelling (maybe this is the voice actor's fault) and carelessness made me like him less and less. 

Shamir (specifically BE Edelgard route):  Too much of a cold blooded mercenary.  Everyone else turns on the church because of their ideals.  She does it for money.  She was much warmer in the BE church route.

Manuela: She never really grows as a character.  Cougar with a drinking problem all the way.

So far I've completed both BE routes and am just starting BL.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grew to like:

Linhardt - I ranked him in the middle pre launch. Now he's my overall favorite.

Caspar - Still dislike him pre timeskip for his design. But his voice, supports, empathy, and usefulness did win me over.

Lorenz - His schtick is just plain funny, and his supports with Leonie showcase that unlike Ferdinand, his pride extends into a genuine desire to help the commonfolk and be a good leader.

Still dislike:

Raphael - I'm sorry, but his design is shit.

Grew to dislike:

Flayn - God, she's annoying.

Cyril - Boring, one note character.

Ferdinand - Pretentious douchebag.

Hilda - No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Edited by Etheus

dislike -> like

hilda wow didn't expect this one

linhardt i love this guy

caspar is my boy

bernie such a poor lost soul

marianne was so annoying until I got to know her and now she's hella dope

hubert man this man is just a dick until you realize he kind of... isn't

slyvain is the guy

jeritza big shocks

like -> dislike

flayn please shut up

mercedes aaaaaaaaaaaaa i think it's just her voice

rhea LOL i've played enough routes

dislike -> dislike

cyril leave

lorenz LOLOLOL

played through 3 routes (BE both, BL), working on 4th (GD)

dislike -> like: 

Raphael, not gameplaywise but some of his supports a really nice.

Bernadetta, her Supports are priceless. Bernadetta and Felix really have been something worth seeing.

like -> dislike

Catherine, quite a shame I would have expected to actually like her more. But I still have to see anything good here...there is still some hope but yeah...

Actually these characters are the only which changed quite a much for me, the rest almost remained the same as the first impression. 

Still have to play through BL and Church path. Playing Blue Lion for now and keeping the Church path for last. Seteth you have something to do. xD 

Dislike -> Like

Leonie became best girl, long hair is all it took, I love her.

I thought Hubert would be bland, he turned out to be one of my favourite characters in the game, surely the best male in the game. He has strong morals, he's a troll, and I'm pretty sure he's a vampire. Amazing.

Linhardt and Seteth are on the same boat, as I pretty much hated them prerelease and thought they'd be among the worst (both by design and personality). Their design still suck (though Linhardt is a bit less bad), but they're very good characters. Lin in particular is quite funny, I like how blunt he is more than the whole sleeping gimmick.

Hilda is much deeper than what it seems, she's still not my favourite character, but I absolutely love how she looks (especially post skip), so it's enough for me. Sadly can't get her in my preferred route.

Ferdinand, getting to know his character makes you realize he's not a cunt, he chases a book/fairytale kind of nobility and I like it. Long hair wasn't doing it for me, but I grew to like it (you could say it... grew on me. rofl)

Like -> Dislike

Someone said it better than I ever could, "flayn please shut up". Rhea too, though dislike is a bit much, I still like her character/voice/everything, but now I know where she stands.

Dislike -> Dislike even more

Caspar, he was bland and cringy from the prerelease, turns out he's also annoying as hell with all the fucking screaming, it's so bad. And he's a shit unit as well.

Bernadetta, pretty much like Caspar, she was garbage in the prerelease, then I had one of her supports, she started SCREECHING. Out.

Lorenz, why is everyone saying this guy got better in the timeskip? His hair got worse. I didn't think it could be possible but it happened, what the hell. Also he's an incredibly annoying character, I got the completely opposite impression than @Etheus, Ferdinand ultimately doesn't care about status, Lorenz on the other hand is just an asshole.

Finally, I came to dislike Lysithea because of her too high pitched voice and Ingrid because she cut her hair, and I really don't like short haired girls (Mercedes is on that boat as well, but I didn't like her anyways).

Lorenz is designed to be a foil that the others can shine against. It would be boring if all these other kids were just sitting around being constantly likeable, funny, relatable with no conflict. If you can't identify his role the moment he speaks then I don't know what to tell you. And the way he explains his noble status no doubt proves useful to the 21st Century audience. Fodlan is not a world where people are encouraged to treat each other as equals, and those precious examples of that play into Claude's oh-so-precious dream he keeps peddling post time skip. He even gets his victories in being one of very few characters to pierce Marianne's crippling depression pre-time skip. His support with Claude also shows growth in his leadership qualities letting him stand as a hero at the end of the story in front of his cowardly father. 

What I'm trying to say is, Lorenz would be an S Tier consideration for a Support Science video

As for the thread's question, I can't say I ever disliked anybody. Flayn was a pretty nothing character at first, but her supports with Ignatz plays well into the mystery of who she is. And her support with Raphael is just the most lovably dumb thing for both of them. I have been listening in on Mangs' LP of Black Eagles and those kids are definitely "Yikes" to a point where I'll be impressed if they get redeemed later. But it also seems unfair to shout them out when I didn't and don't plan to play Black Eagles any day soon. And I guess my impression of Edelgard as her enemy went from neutral to rock bottom. She doesn't waste a word explaining the things she had done. And it was Hubert that tasked us with fighting the true villains at the end of the game since I guess she never attempts this in all her bloodshed.

Edited by Glennstavos

Bearing in mind that I'm not even halfway through a campaign...

Grew to like:

- Linhardt, his pragmatism shone through more than his gimmick.
- Ingrid, had no idea what to expect from her, but being a sane person in a world of madmen is actually kinda refreshing. Not a fan of girly girls so even better.
- Lorenz, more than a meme. His snobbery is actually fairly practical and well-founded in a political sense.
- Hilda, more practical than she might seem at first, and that the whole lazy thing might just be an act.
- Raphael. I mean, sort of, still not huge on him but compared to Caspar's more overt meatheadishness, yeah...
- Seteth, who I admit I judged on his stupid beard initially.

Grew to dislike:

- Hubert, who simply plays to stereotype, a bootlicker than somehow manages to make Ferdinand look (ever so slightly) better.
- Dorothea. Not terribly awful, but her whole act is just exhausting to be around at times. I get the idea, but I'd rather talk to someone a bit more genuine.
- Bernadetta, Ignatz, Marianne. If it wasn't my job as a teacher I'd never see the point in even trying to deal with them. And progressing each of them has turned up nothing that'd come near subverting the stereotype.
- Mercedes. Her voice causes me physical pain.
- Sylvain. Not that I particularly liked him, but didn't think it'd be bad as it turned out. Inigo had a certain charm about him, while Sylvain just ditches it and leaves the boorishness.
- Jeritza. Not a character at all, did they even try? How did he even function as an instructor before our arrival? Not even slightly believable.

Pleasant surprises:

I think Seteth would be my most obvious choice. I never actually disliked him while playing the game but I did assume I would end up doing so. Seteth's role is very easy to mess up. It must have been very tempting to have made him incredibly petty and unreasonable in order to make his distrust of the main character seem unjustified and wrong. That's pretty much how they handled everyone having an issue with corrin, but that's not what they ended up doing with Seteth. He's a little bit strict at times but every time he voices his objections he only says completely reasonable things and he's cordial enough to offer to show Byleth around the monastery. He's a competent guy, a bit sweetheart and he got some funny supports as well. He's probably my favorite teacher character. 

Hanneman: Never disliked him either but I assumed he would be a fairly boring minor character. He was a nice guy but I suspected he'd be married to his wacky researcher trope. As it turns out Hanneman ends up having one of the best support chains in the game. It also doesn't hurt that he's very practical and logical about his crest obsessed. The writers didn't just randomly pick out a trope for him but instead gave him actual reasons and goals he want to achieve with his gimmick. 

Dorothea: I think she might have been the Black Eagle member I was the least interested in. Even with the cute hat she never won me over before release and her burn towards Ferdinant made me assume she would be an asshole. Turns out I quite like her. She's a gold digger but when not doing that she's usually pretty friendly and her hatred of the nobility isn't as petty as that of Ike for instance. 

Up in the air

Raphael: I don't mind wacky gimmick characters but on the condition that their gimmick is actually good. Food food food food, training food food and more food is an extremely boring gimmick. Whenever he stops talking about that and behaves as an actual person he's really good. I'm hoping my Golden Deer playthrough will show that side more so he can win me over.

Lysithea: She's very interesting and I love the gigantic spell list she has. On the other hand she's also a gigantic asshole and might even be so to an irredeemable degree. I'm pretty sure Ignatz did nothing to deserve the roasting she gave him and if that behavior spreads into more supports I'd see myself dismissing her as just a giant jerk. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Grew to Like:

Bernadetta- she has a very unattractive pre-skip design and is way irritating. While still a bit irritating, her supports explain why shes that way.  Post-skip shes much less irritating. 

Seteth: i was at first underwhelmed by this guy. He came off as a dude with stick up his arse, but honestly? Hes grown to be literally my favorite character in the game. I saw his supports and seen the reasons hes like the way he is. Plus figuring out who he is (prior to church route), hes just awesome and i love himb. 

Ferdinand: comes off as a fop, but is really a good guy. Stupid hot post-skip too. 

Death Knight: I unlocked a certain paralogue that explains things regarding him  i think hes a decent antagonist  not the best by any means, but im ok with this dude.

Grew to Loathe:

Rhea: H o l y  s h i t. I thought she looked cool at first and she comes off as really saintly. (lol) But wow what the hell is your problem, Rhea? Talk about abandonment issues. Her fundamentalist attitude really grossed me out but then, it got worse  shes just a super bitch. Funny thing is, i like her role in the story and that she isnt this rosey Big Good tyoe  but i dont like her lol  

Caspar: wasnt a fan of this kid's design  omg his hair is just whyyyyy. But i was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt  Nah. Dude is hella annoying and grating af.

Cyril: *sprays water* NO.

cant say ive ever been a fan of Sylvain or Ignatz, but they dont anger me at all  i like watching people knock Sylvain down lol. 

Flayn haters, im judging you :dry:

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

1 hour ago, timon said:

Lorenz, why is everyone saying this guy got better in the timeskip? His hair got worse.

This is the most offensive thing in this thread.

Semi-asymmetrical long hair is objectively better than the jagged bowl cut. One compliments his long face, the other makes him look like a fucked up blueberry.

Edited by Slumber

I don’t remember coming into things with expectations. But Claude might just be that guy.

Not that I grew to dislike him at all just... he does not have much depth. Just like his route. Guy’s still great, though, but Dimitri and Edelgard might just be on another level.

20 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Up in the air

Raphael: I don't mind wacky gimmick characters but on the condition that their gimmick is actually good. Food food food food, training food food and more food is an extremely boring gimmick. Whenever he stops talking about that and behaves as an actual person he's really good. I'm hoping my Golden Deer playthrough will show that side more so he can win me over.

Lysithea: She's very interesting and I love the gigantic spell list she has. On the other hand she's also a gigantic asshole and might even be so to an irredeemable degree. I'm pretty sure Ignatz did nothing to deserve the roasting she gave him and if that behavior spreads into more supports I'd see myself dismissing her as just a giant jerk. 

Having played GD, I’ll say you’ll get more of that human side of him in his supports and the paralogue with him and Ignatz.

And Lysithea... well, I’m sure you’ll find out a lot more about her when you get into her supports. Ones to look into in particular are Hanneman and Byleth, but that’s all I know. Playing GD will also help you understand her.

If none of that helps, I’ll take responsibility for letting you down.

49 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Up in the air

Agree completely.  Have nothing against him but he seems boring and a bit slow.  His paralogue makes him more likable although he works very hard to avoid accepting the truth about his parents (I can't decide if that's healthy or not).

43 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Death Knight: I unlocked a certain paralogue that explains things regarding him  i think hes a decent antagonist  not the best by any means, but im ok with this dude.

Rhea: H o l y  s h i t. I thought she looked cool at first and she comes off as really saintly. (lol) But wow what the hell is your problem, Rhea? Talk about abandonment issues. Her fundamentalist attitude really grossed me out but then, it got worse  shes just a super bitch. Funny thing is, i like her role in the story and that she isnt this rosey Big Good tyoe  but i dont like her lol  

Cyril: *sprays water* NO.

Would really like more info on the Death Knight.  Didn't know he had a paralogue I need to see that.  Manuela makes a great comment (BE Edelgard Route) about his reaction when she confronts him for stabbing her.

Rhea In BE Edelgard route is basically driven insane.  Sane Rhea is pretty ok though.  

Edited by Dalquist

38 minutes ago, Dalquist said:

Rhea In BE Edelgard route is basically driven insane.  Sane Rhea is pretty ok though.  

I played GD first. She unnerved me in that route. Sane Rhea is manipulative, secretive, and a bit cruel. Commanding Byleth  to murder her perceived enemies, using Byleth in general, and that whole bit of executing guys without even questioning them really grossed me out. Im more weary about sane Rhea than how she is in BE.  

Dislike to like

Caspar - At first, he was a bit annoying, but he eventually grew on me. He's still no favorite of mine, though.
Raphael - I thought he was just food and muscles and nothing else - which is true, BUT he manages to be hilarious about it AND a genuinely good guy on top of that (RaphaelxIgnatz BroTP). It helps that he looks like an anime version of Brock Lesnar.
Dimitri - From prerelease, I thought he'd be the usual, boring noble prince. Marth 4.0, basically. Hoo boy, was I wrong! Played the game and grew to love Dimitri.
Dorothea - I initially pegged her for the next Camilla. The warning signs where definitely there (being introduced boobs-first and all). But I was wrong again. I was pleasantly surprised by her character and I grew to like her a fair bit.
Manuela - Same as Dorothea (being introduced boobs-first and all), only Manuela is hilarious. She proves that the sitcom archetype of the thirsty middle-aged woman works in a serious setting if it's not a main character with that trait.
Cyril - I thought he'd be another Donnel: obnoxious and overrated as hell. Luckily, he's a good kid. Still a crappy unit, though.

Like to dislike

Nobody. - Every character I started out liking, I ended up liking still. Some even became favorites of mine, like Seteth and Lysithea.

Still dislike and probably always will

Ferdinand - An arrogant, stuck-up bastard. I don't like this guy. I'm sorry. The few good points he has are lost under a pile of arrogance, conveniently smelling like poo.
Sylvain - He has his positives... all of which are overshadowed by the one character trope that I cannot stand above all else: he's a skirt chaser. I HATE these characters. Inigo/Laslow, Virion, Sain, Gatrie... doesn't matter. I hate all of them. I know it's usually played for laughs, but I don't see what's so funny about it.
Lorenz - He's the unholy love child of Sylvain and Ferdinand, combining the worst character traits of both into one obnoxious package. And he doesn't get better after the time skip.
Leonie - I know she isn't like that for her supports with anyone not named Byleth, but her "Jeralt this, Jeralt that" shtick got annoying really, really quickly.

On the fence/Neutral

Ignatz - He feels like a more boring version of Ashe with a dash of Elliot from Trails of Cold Steel thrown in for good measure, only Ignatz' passion isn't music, but painting.
Hilda - She's Neptune with Noire's hairstyle. All joking aside, she's a funny character, but that's about it. There's nothing really interesting about her. No backstory that makes you feel for her (like Marianne, Bernadetta, Edelgard, Annette or Lysithea), no motivation that makes me root for her (like Petra or Ingrid), nothing. I do like what she is, but I wouldn't put her on a favorite characters list for this game, simply because there isn't much substance to her. Except... you know. Bazongas.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

This is the most offensive thing in this thread.

Semi-asymmetrical long hair is objectively better than the jagged bowl cut. One compliments his long face, the other makes him look like a fucked up blueberry.

At least he looks somewhat closer to a man before the timeskip.

There's nothing worse than long, straigthened hair on a guy. If it's asymmetrical it's even worse, what the hell is that thing, it looks like it's melting down from his head. Doesn't help that his whole face looks like it's pulled down.

Note that this is my opinion so don't take offense, but if you have a dick and want long hair, the only way that kind of maybe works is Ferdinand's. Or if anything Felix post timeskip, I can understand a short-ish ponytail.

Hubert: Didn't like him at first, became one of my favorite in the end. Such devotion to Edelgard, he earned my respect. 

Seteth: I actually don't like him very much ; but I saw he was a good guy anyway. 

Flayn: I like her but I felt she wasn't that interesting, I'm a bit sad she doesn't age like the other characters ; that's a missed opportunity.

Dedue: Felt he was so bland ; then fought him in Black Eagle or played Blue Lion. He maked me cry so much, like wow seriously.

Cyril: Always talking about Rhea. I don't like him, and never will. Yeah he's a good kid, but I just don't like him.

Rhea: The character I hate above all.

Spoiler

I was so glad to kill her, the Black Eagle path felt like the right one for me. Edelgard is a true lord..When she's with Byleth. 

The others, well I liked most of them at first and just liked them more after. Lorenz grew up on me a few times, but that's almost funny. Raphael..Well I don't care. But I won't say anything as I didn't play Golden Deer yet ; didn't see all the personnalities of them even if I had all students in my second playthrough.

Grew to hate and despise :

Dimitri : his whole obssesion with Edelgard just made me wanna axe him myself with Aymr. Half of the stuff he blames her for isn't even her fault like did she start a fire that killed your dad and stepmom nope she did not

Edited by EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen

31 minutes ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

Dimitri : his whole obssesion with Edelgard just made me wanna axe him myself with Aymr. Half of the stuff he blames her for isn't even her fault like did she start a fire that killed your dad and stepmom nope she did not

He is gettjng really boring and i am on BL, but i think that him blaming a 12 year old for orchestrating the Duscur thing is meant to show how he is not sane. It's on par whit being a flatearther lol.

3 hours ago, Dalquist said:

I think she's always been insane. It definitely get worse as the route goes on but her loudly screaming she'll rip out someone heart seconds after they turned on her makes it seem she was always ready to snap if things didn't go her way,

Spoiler

Repeatedly plunging a dagger into a disarmed man while screaming at him doesn't seem very sane either.

6 hours ago, timon said:

Dislike -> Like

Leonie became best girl, long hair is all it took, I love her.

I thought Hubert would be bland, he turned out to be one of my favourite characters in the game, surely the best male in the game. He has strong morals, he's a troll, and I'm pretty sure he's a vampire. Amazing.

Linhardt and Seteth are on the same boat, as I pretty much hated them prerelease and thought they'd be among the worst (both by design and personality). Their design still suck (though Linhardt is a bit less bad), but they're very good characters. Lin in particular is quite funny, I like how blunt he is more than the whole sleeping gimmick.

Hilda is much deeper than what it seems, she's still not my favourite character, but I absolutely love how she looks (especially post skip), so it's enough for me. Sadly can't get her in my preferred route.

Ferdinand, getting to know his character makes you realize he's not a cunt, he chases a book/fairytale kind of nobility and I like it. Long hair wasn't doing it for me, but I grew to like it (you could say it... grew on me. rofl)

Like -> Dislike

Someone said it better than I ever could, "flayn please shut up". Rhea too, though dislike is a bit much, I still like her character/voice/everything, but now I know where she stands.

Dislike -> Dislike even more

Caspar, he was bland and cringy from the prerelease, turns out he's also annoying as hell with all the fucking screaming, it's so bad. And he's a shit unit as well.

Bernadetta, pretty much like Caspar, she was garbage in the prerelease, then I had one of her supports, she started SCREECHING. Out.

Lorenz, why is everyone saying this guy got better in the timeskip? His hair got worse. I didn't think it could be possible but it happened, what the hell. Also he's an incredibly annoying character, I got the completely opposite impression than @Etheus, Ferdinand ultimately doesn't care about status, Lorenz on the other hand is just an asshole.

Finally, I came to dislike Lysithea because of her too high pitched voice and Ingrid because she cut her hair, and I really don't like short haired girls (Mercedes is on that boat as well, but I didn't like her anyways).

Wow, all it takes for you to change your opinion is hair length? You have got to be one of the poorest judges of character in this website.

On 8/15/2019 at 11:23 AM, Etrurian emperor said:
Spoiler

Repeatedly plunging a dagger into a disarmed man while screaming at him doesn't seem very sane either.

Spoiler

to be fair this was the same man that raided her mother's tomb, stole her corpse to make into an almighty whip sword, then proceeded to use said sword to wipe out not only her brothers and sisters but everyone else she knew and loved and then used their corpses to make even more weapons. Yeah... her rage is understandable honestly.

On 8/15/2019 at 10:18 AM, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

Yeah but do you think he cares about that? at that moment the only thing on his mind was this:

Flame emperor killed family, therefore must kill Flame emperor for revenge

Edelgard = Flame emperor, therefore must kill Edelgard.

That was his thought process and he was so far gone into despair by that point that he won't listen to reason so....yeah.

Edited by eclipse
Added a missing spoiler tag

7 hours ago, Dalquist said:

Shamir (specifically BE Edelgard route):  Too much of a cold blooded mercenary.  Everyone else turns on the church because of their ideals.  She does it for money.  She was much warmer in the BE church route.

That makes me love her even more. Idealism doesn't put food on your table. Getting paid does. Shes just picking the winning side. How can Edelgard lose with demi-god Byleth on her side? I have a soft spot for mercenaries.

Edited by wissenschaft

None. I never disliked anyone of the characters that I ended liking later

BUT!!

Now I dislike Rhea hahahaha, I was neutral with her, then I spoiled-played the game, and now I dislike her ! And of course the bad-bad guys I dislike them too (cofSoloncof)...

But about the students, I don't hate anyone, I'm just not a fan of some of them

21 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Wow, all it takes for you to change your opinion is hair length? You have got to be one of the poorest judges of character in this website.

For characters that don't really stand out I look at appearence, as it turns out the face shapes in this game are mostly very very similar, so yes, haircut makes a great difference. It IS anime after all, haircut always makes a big part in how a character looks like and how it's perceived.

Even then, as I said, I really like Linhardt even though he's one of the worst looking people in the cast, but when a character is just "good" or "okay" then looks have a big impact. Biggest examples are Leonie and Ingrid, I like their personalities, they're just not amazing, so the fact that Leonie turns out extremely cute while Ingrid does the opposite sways my opinion.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one tbh, I wonder how many people would like Ignatz if he didn't have that stuff on his head, after all he is quite a likeable archetype.

On Dimitri: I think we just have to understand how his character/path/route work. There was a very good infographic going around that rightfully said that BL is about characters. That's something to keep in mind, that route doesn't really care too much about Fodlan, about the war, about the politics, the society, about the evil guys. That route is about exploring the past and the lives of your characters, Dimitri in particular. After all it's the route with the most personal interactions (the chapters related to Ashe and Sylvain, the whole Felix/Dimitri story, the Duscur thing, ecc.). So while going with Edelgard is all out on "revolution no matter the (personal) price", BL is the complete opposite. The fact that he turns out insane is part of it, and illogically accusing Edelgard for everything adds to the whole mad king deal.