Characters you disliked that eventually won you over. *Minor Spoilers*

Dalquist

Disclaimer: I haven't watched every support yet, so a few of these are subject to change.

Dislike -> Like

Sylvain: I thought for sure I'd dislike him, since I typically hate the "womanizer" trope.  However, Sylvain's character is far more complex and interesting than I initially thought.  He eventually became one of my favorite characters, especially after his supports with Lorenz and Mercedes.

Lysithea: At first I found her kind of annoying.  Watching her supports (specifically the A supports) made me appreciate her a whole lot more, though.

Ingrid: I found her fairly dull in the beginning; while she's still not the most interesting character, she is the most "normal."  Also, her support with Bernadetta is amazing.

Dimitri: I hated Dimitri right up until near the end of Part 1; after that, Dimitri became way more enjoyable.

Seteth: I'll admit, I misjudged you old man.

Marianne: I never thought I'd play a Fire Emblem game that broached the topic of suicidal depression, but here we are.

Lorenz: This one is a bit different, as it's not really Lorenz that I ended up liking.  It's more that I appreciated his inclusion as a foil; his supports with Sylvain, Hilda, etc. are great.

Like -> Dislike

Linhardt: Funnily enough, I ended up the opposite of most others here.  I initially liked his character and "snarky laziness;" however, the more of his supports that I watched, the less I liked him.

Leonie: I had hope for her as the "tomboy" trope, but she just can't shut up about Jeralt around Byleth.  Her supports with others, barring one or two exceptions, are also pretty dull.

Catherine: She has a lot of hype and potential considering her introduction, but it's mostly wasted.

Dislike -> Still Dislike

Bernadetta: She gets better in Part 2, but not enough to redeem her IMO.

Flayn: Agreed with many others here: Please stop talking, Flayn.

Cyril: Outside of his support with Hilda, I didn't find much to enjoy from his character.

Caspar/Raphael: I found both very one-dimensional outside of one or two supports.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Raphael was kind of annoying at first. His constant talk about food could get annoying at times. However, his dopiness and genuine love for his friends won me over. I also relate to a big brother wanting to do his best for his little sister. Most importantly, he was able to make me chuckle. A character that can consistently put a smile on my face is always a winner.

So, I'm confused as to how so many people in this thread are praising Lorenz yet criticizing Ferdinand. The two are practically the same in the sense that they take pride in their nobility yet help out commoners.

If anything, their support shows that Ferdinand is the more down to earth of the two, as he values seeing things from the commoners point of view while Lorenz says they should help yet keep a certain distance.

The only time Ferdinand is ever really "prissy" is in his one sided rivalry with Edelgard.

I don't know how many things changed and so far I'm only on the BL route, so it will changes as I keep going.

Dislike/Neutral to Like

Dimitri - I just didn't like his hair. I know, I'm shallow. And he just seemed the least interesting. And yet he's one of my FAVORITE characters. From his past, to his fall, to his redemption, I really, really love him.

Jeralt - I didn't DISLIKE him, but I just didn't care. And yet his kind of "I don't like/trust the church" and general attitude was fun to me and felt like what I would want my dad to be like, so I ended up liking him and actually being sad for him.

Sylvain - I'm just not a fan of womanizer type characters but I think his was handled SO well, I really ended up enjoying him as a character.

Felix - Also not a fan of "always sour" type characters, but he was always SPOT on about the things he said, especially about Dimitri and I enjoyed his sarcasm and quips. He made me laugh the most because he said EXACTLY what I would say.

Mercedes - Motherly characters don't do it for me either, and her voice seeeeemed annoying from the previews, but I ended up realllllly liking her. She's so sweet and genuine and very perceptive which I think is what made her a great character for me.

Like to Dislike

Linhardt - I originally liked him and his glow-up. But him being tired all the time actually got on my nerves. And his weird support with Flayn was gross. In fact, all his A-supports were weird and romantic and odd when a lot of other people's supports weren't romantic, or were just 'mild crush' territory and cute. But his were specifically about marriage (Annette/Flayn/Lysithia) and I just didn't like it.

Seteth - I really liked his design, but I hate characters who hate 'me' the avatar for no actual reason, and then eventually warm up to you, because they care. Also Rhea is awful and I despise her, so anyone who likes her makes me not like them.

Flayn - I just ... something about her. Maybe it's the loli-esque part of her character or something, but she's just a little off to me. I was really excited to use her, but every support I have of her, makes me just like her a little less. Also she likes Rhea, who I hate and therefore I don't trust her.

Dedue - I also just ... he got boring to me. The Duscur thing was good for the first few supports, but then the self-deprecation and lack of more really just grated on me and I found myself not even missing him when he was gone. 

Cyril - I just really hate anyone who likes Rhea. I don't hate him, but he got a bit boring and I hated his in-fighting quotes of "All for Lady Rhea" as if she's some saint. 

Ingrid - I loved her design, but she's just a bit boring overall.

Dislike to Hate

Rhea - I just— she's so bad. I got bad vibes from her from the beginning. I disagreed with like every conversation we have with her, and she's gross and creepy and I haven't even played the Church route and I really don't WANT to, because I hate her, but I want to know why she's so blah. Everyone in the Blue Lions is all like, "I'm concerned about Lady Rhea" and I'm just like, can she just die? When she put all her affairs towards me I was like, "Why? I hate you". And then when freaking Byleth went after her when she was being attacked, I was like, "Just let her die." Edelgard just needs to kill her, I really don't like her.

1 minute ago, Kiran_ said:

Seteth - I really liked his design, but I hate characters who hate 'me' the avatar for no actual reason, and then eventually warm up to you, because they care. Also Rhea is awful and I despise her, so anyone who likes her makes me not like them.

Flayn - I just ... something about her. Maybe it's the loli-esque part of her character or something, but she's just a little off to me. I was really excited to use her, but every support I have of her, makes me just like her a little less. Also she likes Rhea, who I hate and therefore I don't trust her.

For no reason? Seteth distrusts "you" because he has no idea who you are and is unsure of the idea of entrusting a stranger with a teaching position. If anything, he's one of the more sensible characters as a result. He also never hates Byleth, as it never goes beyond distrust.

Also, without spoiling too much, you shouldn't dislike Flayn because of Rhea.

Spoiler

Flayn is completely unaware of Rhea's plans, and Seteth actually begins to question Rhea's motives as the game goes on.

1 minute ago, Sentinel07 said:

For no reason? Seteth distrusts "you" because he has no idea who you are and is unsure of the idea of entrusting a stranger with a teaching position. If anything, he's one of the more sensible characters as a result. He also never hates Byleth, as it never goes beyond distrust.

Also, without spoiling too much, you shouldn't dislike Flayn because of Rhea.

Hide contents

Flayn is completely unaware of Rhea's plans, and Seteth actually begins to question Rhea's motives as the game goes on.

I know, but it's just a tired trope I see all the time. And we're not a stranger/incompetent. We're the child of Jeralt, who Rhea trusts explicitly, so like clearly we're not a bad person. And we're a mercenary (and taught by who was considered one of the strongest knights), so clearly qualified to teach. It just felt they wanted to give the scene of becoming a teacher SOME discord, because Rhea is all, "Open arms to all those that wander". But to me a realistic scene would have just been, "Let's have a battle so I can see your skills for myself." or just a "How do you plan to teach?" No need to be SO suspicious of the child of someone everyone likes. So yes. His very intense suspicions have no actual basis and comes off as annoying, not sensible. And the first half of his convo's with you all start with, "I don't trust you, but can you do this?" and it just felt unnecessary and pushed too much.

I know she's unaware, but I don't care??

Spoiler

For someone SO old, her blind trust is annoying because nobody can look at Rhea and see her as 'good'. It just feels odd. If she was actually the age she looked, I wouldn't count it against her, but knowing who she is/how old she is, it's inexcusable. And Seteth does question her motives as the game goes on, but still follows and doesn't actually do anything, especially in the BL route, where he has maybe 2 throwaway convo's about it, but ultimately is like, "Where is she? I need to save her. She's our priority." 

7 minutes ago, Kiran_ said:

I know, but it's just a tired trope I see all the time. And we're not a stranger/incompetent. We're the child of Jeralt, who Rhea trusts explicitly, so like clearly we're not a bad person. And we're a mercenary (and taught by who was considered one of the strongest knights), so clearly qualified to teach. It just felt they wanted to give the scene of becoming a teacher SOME discord, because Rhea is all, "Open arms to all those that wander". But to me a realistic scene would have just been, "Let's have a battle so I can see your skills for myself." or just a "How do you plan to teach?" No need to be SO suspicious of the child of someone everyone likes. So yes. His very intense suspicions have no actual basis and comes off as annoying, not sensible. And the first half of his convo's with you all start with, "I don't trust you, but can you do this?" and it just felt unnecessary and pushed too much.

I know she's unaware, but I don't care??

Reveal hidden contents

For someone SO old, her blind trust is annoying because nobody can look at Rhea and see her as 'good'. It just feels odd. If she was actually the age she looked, I wouldn't count it against her, but knowing who she is/how old she is, it's inexcusable. And Seteth does question her motives as the game goes on, but still follows and doesn't actually do anything, especially in the BL route, where he has maybe 2 throwaway convo's about it, but ultimately is like, "Where is she? I need to save her. She's our priority." 

So...

Spoiler

You're criticizing Flayn for blind faith yet you think Seteth should trust Byleth on the basis of "Rhea likes him". That is also blind faith, which makes your statement completely hypocritical.

When Dimitri told me he was intending to simply use you/me and "your friends" for his all-consuming revenge quest and I should kill him if I didn't like who he was now, I was legitimately tempted to say "alright!", chop his head off, and go back to Claude, tbh.

Edited by Crysta

Dislike > Like

• Edelgard - I was expecting her to be a boring female lord with naive and righteous mentality, but man, she's my most favorite character in this game.
  • Sylvain - I thought he was really shallow, but now he's one of my favorites.
  • Hilda - I honestly thought she would be the spoiled rich brat, but man, she's such a sweetheart.
  • Ferdinand - He looked like an asshole, but his support with Bernie was really amazing.
  • Felix - I thought I was bored with edgy swordsmen, but I was wrong.
  • Claude - I didn't like his design from the beginning, and I was expecting him to be the.. random lord. He turned out pretty good and he's the most chill character.

Like > Dislike

• Dimitri - I was interested in his villain side, but man, he's so irrational and it annoys me a lot. A lot of his actions piss me off.
  • Shamir - meh
  • Catherine - Her whole "obsession"(can't find a word) with Rhea and protecting Rhea was a huge turn off.
  • Mercedes - I thought she was fine, until I switched to Japanese; seriously, all of her conversations start with "ara ara" I didn't even bother watching her supports.

When first seeing the timeskip portraits I was super disappointed with Leonie because I thought she had her hair in pigtails. Super glad that on closer inspection it's just a ponytail that's resting at the side. It is, isn't it? Haven't seen the 3D model yet.

In general I do prefer shorter hairstyles on both men and women. Not necessarily short-short, but above shoulder height for sure. However I do also prefer it to be unadorned, so I'm not a fan on those whatever-they-ares in Ingrid's short hair. Hubert, Caspar and obviously Ignatz do well with their shorter hair too, approved.

All that's physical of course because I haven't played a single minute of the game after the timeskip. With that in mind, I'm actually a fan of the ruthless nature shown by both Rhea and Edelgard. I have no problem with both sides employing force to push their ideals, as I imagine that to be the norm in that era.

Mercedes grew on me over the course of the game.  I found her mildly annoying in the first half of the BL route, but her unshakable positivity and kindness never wavered, even in the darkest moments of the second half.  She became a much-needed breath of fresh air.

As it is, Cyril is the only character who I still don't like.  In a game where every playable character has depth and a place in the world, he stands as an exception.  

Dislike -> Like

• Caspar: When we first saw the previews for Caspar, he kinda reminded me of Godfrey from Xenoblade 2 and that wasn't a good thing. I thought he was gonna be the kind of person that holds justice to the highest moral standard and will see the world in black and white. I was wrong. The dude's a total bro. The only bad part about Caspar is that his name isn't Casper. As in, Casper the Friendly Ghost.
  • Ferdinand: I am not of fan of the prideful and arrogant noble that thinks that "commoners should know their place". That doesn't mean i can't like them, because i usually do if they grow and mature out of it. And that's what Ferdinand did. I can see why some would see his one-sided rivalry with Edelgard annoying but what i really liked was in his A-Support with her, where Edelgard kicks his ass and Ferdinand is like "damn, you were actually serious about this". It's also worth noting that Ferdinand does admit when he's wrong, and i like this. One of my favorite lines from him is in his B-Support with Hubert: "When i disagree with Edelgard's orders, i discuss it with her. Sometimes, through discussion, i find out i was mistaken instead". Ferdinand also shares his English voice actor with Josuke Higashikata in the JoJo Part 4 dub so that's a plus.
  • Sylvain: His C-Support with Byleth gave me a bad first impression. "Hey, that girl i was dating was fine with me cheating on her when she didn't know about it. Why should she care now". He basically came off as an asshole version of Inigo, one of my favorite characters from Awakening (and this extends to his alter ego Laslow in Fates). Of course, i dug into his Supports more and realized that he has a legitimate reason for his flirting, which is good. I still don't know if i like him more than Inigo but i like him.
  • Leonie: Her Supports with Byleth were basically Jeralt this, Jeralt that but she hardly brings him up in her other Supports so that's good enough for me.

Like -> Dislike

• No one lmao

Dislike -> Still dislike

• Lorenz: The worst student in the game. He's the prideful, arrogant noble that thinks that "commoners should know their place" except he doesn't grow out of it. I recruited him for my Black Eagles run, and i'm currently playing Golden Deer and nothing he has done has improved my opinion of him. His C-Support with Dorothea was him basically going full Neil deGrass Tyson on her on why commoner women like her aren't "suitable enough" for him. He also kinda does this rivalry thing with Claude, just like Ferdinand does with Edelgard, except Lorenz is kinda antagonistic about it, whereas Ferdinand wasn't all that serious about it. Also, what the fuck is his hair pre-timeskip? What is his jawline? Why is the nose on his model so unnaturally flat? I swear, he was designed by someone completely different. Sorry Lorenz, but sharing the same English voice actor with Joseph Joestar (the best JoJo) won't make me like you.
  • Raphael: It's not that i dislike him and while i do like how genuine he is with his friends........at the end of the day, he's Ilyana 2. The thing with Three Houses characters is that even some of the more gimmicky characters still felt more grounded. Lindhart, Bernadetta, heck even Sylvain at times. Raphael....kinda doesn't. It doesn't reach Awakening/Fates level of gimmicky for him but he stands out in a bad way imo.

As the only route i've completed is Crimson Flower, i can't comment on characters like Catherine and Cyril, as they aren't playable in that route. I'll get back once i get to know them more, since i'm currently playing through Golden Deer.

2 hours ago, Spectrum said:

Mercedes - I thought she was fine, until I switched to Japanese; seriously, all of her conversations start with "ara ara" I didn't even bother watching her supports.

Wait, wouldn't that issue be solved by simply not playing in Japanese?

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

When first seeing the timeskip portraits I was super disappointed with Leonie because I thought she had her hair in pigtails. Super glad that on closer inspection it's just a ponytail that's resting at the side. It is, isn't it? Haven't seen the 3D model yet.

Yeah, i can confirm it's a ponytail.

Ones that grew on me

Annette: At first I didn’t think much of her due to her initial design looking a little babyish and her mannerisms not really appealing to me. However, with her excellent timeskip design and delving into her supports, she’s one of my favorite characters of the Blue Lions. What a sweetie!

Shamir: Thought she’d be massively overhyped as an stoic aloof female, but I gotta say I eventually joined in myself.  She actually has a fairly sad backstory.

Felix: I predicted he’d be the token edgelord and while I wasn’t proven wrong at all (lol), he’s far from the shallow brooder I thought he’d be. 

Seteth: I actually never had anything against him, rather that I though he’d just be... there. After playing through Silver Snow, he’s one of my favorite male characters in 3H.

Ones that fell off (or began to hate)

Ingrid: While I don’t dislike her, rather I still find her decent, she was definitely disappointing to me. I felt the whole “I wanna be a chivalrous knight!” shtick was rather hackneyed and tired, while her enjoyment for food was extremely underplayed (probably not to conflict with Raphael’s trait). Oh, and her timeskip art didn’t help matters either.

Caspar: Wow... he might be the only character I straight up hate. I found him incredibly one note and his voice extremely grating, all he is is noise to me. Just... ugh

Edelgard: She started off as merely indifferent for me. Found her massively overhyped prior to the game being released (analytical, serious warrior princess boooooooooy haven’t seen that one before...), but what perhaps put me over the edge was... eh, forget it. I’d rather not have another one of these wars erupt here.

6 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

So...

Reveal hidden contents

You're criticizing Flayn for blind faith yet you think Seteth should trust Byleth on the basis of "Rhea likes him". That is also blind faith, which makes your statement completely hypocritical.

Well, if you read what I wrote, you'd see I said that it's not him questioning Rhea that bothers me, but how unnecessarily suspicious he was that did. So much so that it carried on for months. I don't want him to have blind faith. I just felt his suspicion was overplayed and very typical of the "one suspicious character that questions you and then ends up trusting you". So please, point out where it's hypocritical? Him questioning our skills as a teacher? Completely realistic. Wanting to see our abilities for themself? Realistic. Acting as if appointing us as professor was insane and we needed our every move watched?? A little overblown and I think could have been done without.

Dislike - - > Like

Seteth: Similar to others here, I figured he'd be the generic "I'm suspicious of you" type character for the whole game, but I was pleasantly surprised by what we did get. His doubts about our ability to teach a class were reasonable enough- just because you have battle experience, doesn't mean you're qualified to teach a class. Then as I played through the game, saw how increasingly desperate and worried he was during Chapter 6, read through a couple of his supports, and played his and Flayn's paralogue, he began to grow on me as a character. Also, he rides a wyvern and people made funny memes about him. So yeah, he's cool in my book.

Caspar: I may be one of the few people on Earth who like Caspar's haircut. Besides, I recruited Linhardt into Blue Lions, and it just felt kinda wrong to leave his bestie behind. After actually reading his supports, I actually kinda like him.

Sylvain: I wrote him off as a womaniser archetype fairly early on, but I have to admit, his interactions with the rest of the cast were entertaining enough for me to look forward to reading his supports. Then I got to his Dedue support, and I did a double-take. Because, damn, I was NOT expecting what came out of that support. His other supports are really good too, and he just puts this dumb grin on my face whenever I see him onscreen.

Cyril: Again, probably in the minority. I get that some people find his "Rhea. Rhea. Rhea" schtick annoying and unlikeable. Personally, I think it works for him (emphasis on "for him") pretty well. I mean, it makes sense, he's just a kid who had his life saved by Rhea. He doesn't know much of how the world works, and it makes sense that he sees things super black and white when it comes to her. Also, iirc, he shares the same voice actor as Julius in Heroes. I can hear his distinctive "YAAAAAAAH" whenever he gets a crit. 

Like -- > Dislike

Catherine: Considering my last paragraph, I'm probably gonna seem like a massive hypocrite, but the "I love Rhea" gimmick does NOT work with Catherine. Unlike Cyril, she has no excuse. Her support with Byleth was just... I read the C-support, saw that stupid line about her wanting to copy Byleth so Rhea can show her favoritism, threw up in my mouth, and benched Catherine so I would never have to see her interact with anybody ever again.  And no, Catherine being a great unit is not good enough of an excuse for me to keep using her.Yeah, I know its unreasonable, but that really got on my nerves. Sorry to any Catherine fans out there, but I really needed to get that off my chest.

Annette/Ingrid: I'm lumping these two together for largely the same reason: I don't mind their characters, though Annette is kinda grating at times, but they both got so hilariously stat-screwed (Ingrid had 11 strength at level 25, Annette had 8 speed at level 23) that it just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth whenever I look at them. Character-wise, as I said, they're decent enough. Do gameplay reasons count for this topic? Probably not, but oh well.

The Very Fine Line:

Mercedes: My gripe with her is mainly her voice. I actually really like her timeskip design, and I enjoy her as a character, but her voice just gets to me. I hate how her insanely high pitch makes it impossible to discern any emotion when she talks. Her entire support with Sylvain, I think she was supposed to sound skeptical that Sylvain was legitimately interested in spending time with her, but it just came across as her normal, cheerful, kindly voice. It was kinda hard to pay attention.

Dislike to Like

Hilda - She really grew on my as I went through her supports. She tends to go all out when she cares, making her B and A supports really good.

Felix - Thought he was your typical Sasuke edge lord when I brought him over to the Deer. He had a really funny support with Dorothea that made him start to grow on me. Now that I'm playing Kingdom and seeing his interactions with the people he grew up with, I'm far more interested in his character.

Ingrid - Thought she would be the typical blonde noble princess type. While she still is that, she is so much more. Her interactions with Felix, Sylvain, and Dmitri are nice to watch.

Like to Dislike

Leonie - Her support with everyone else but your character are great. But with you her obsession of Jeralt is terrible. I S'd her thinking she would change, but I should of learned my lesson from real life and never done that.

Dislike still

Raphael - Terrible character. Everything is about food or his little sister.

Dedue - I strongly dislike dark-skinned characters that only live to serve another character. The stuff that happened to his people and his sheer lack of passion and emotion is off-setting. Felix said it best in his C support with Dedue... 

Edited by Askia

13 hours ago, timon said:

Even then, as I said, I really like Linhardt even though he's one of the worst looking people in the cast, but when a character is just "good" or "okay" then looks have a big impact. Biggest examples are Leonie and Ingrid, I like their personalities, they're just not amazing, so the fact that Leonie turns out extremely cute while Ingrid does the opposite sways my opinion.

She definitely turns out extremely cute so I had tea with her and then

Leonie: "People always seem to be talking about romance, but...honestly, I'm just not interested in that stuff."

Me: 😭💔

Seteth and Rhea turned out better for me

I started my game on Empire path, so my initial view was very negative on them (“Rhea is literally satan”)

But once I got to play for other routes, I get to see other perspectives. Seteth as mentioned, turned out to be a very decent person. He’s quite honest, loyal, polite and wise. His support with Felix and Ingrid were excellent.

Rhea on the other hand, while still a grey character, turned out to be much better than I anticipated. She indeed try to keep peace and cares about those suffered. In Dimitri’s support he mentioned Rhea once took in some orphans sired by bandits even knowing they hated her. Despite her history involved with Byleth, if allowed to live, she turns around and try to atone her guilt by resigning and asks forgiveness from Byleth.

Like - Love

Ferdinand: his interactions with marianne made me like him, but Jesus have you seen him after time skip?!  He's literally arvis/Alvis, one of the best villains in fe history.

Sylvain: laid back guy with minor depression issues, like looking into a mirror

Mercedes: love me some older sister types and boy does she look good post time skip

Dimitri: He's eliwood with a dark side, and boy does he look good post time skip, he's a total Sasuke fan boy though

Dedue: Sono chi no sadame!  He's a fucking pillar man, gotta love him.

Shamir: short haired and looks like she may have been goth at one point, right in my strike zone

Raphael: he makes me laugh, and his hair post time skip, icing on the cake

Dislike - like

Hanneman: still hate his look, but he's a good dude

Ignatz: don't care for his Japanese voice, but his supports with raph and flayn- made me like him a bit more

Ingrid: this one is purely a look thing, hated early game, but she looks great with short hair

like - dislike

*A lot of these are due to looks post time skip*

Leonie: she fits everything I love, except her hair post time skip, she was perfect then they put a weird jumbled mess on her shoulder

Bernadetta: her character is hit and miss for me, but her already goofy hair is worse post time skip

Felix: I love Felix, but wtf did they do to his hair and why put him in teal post time skip?

Eldegard: story reasons aside (I don't like her storywise), she looked fantastic pre-skip, post skip is just bad

Caspar: he was kind of meh to me at school, post skip though, he looks great, then I got his b support with byleth and I'm like yeah there's no talking sense to you dude

Neutral

everybody else

I can't say I actively disliked someone before the game came out, but I did have different expectations based on the Twitter bios, of course. However, at worst my thoughts about the characters were only neutral, so I'll only speak in terms of whether or not I grew to enjoy or dislike the character.

Chaps I grew to like

Hanneman is a big one. I expected nothing of the bloke but his supports are really solid, adding some good worldbuilding as well.

Seteth is another character I liked more than I would've expected. He's not my absolute favorite, but he's both stern and sweet. I'd also be lying if I said his voice actor joining in on the Twitter antics hadn't scored some points with me.

Petra. I expected something closer to Athena but was positively surprised by how awesome she is.

Chaps I grew to dislike

Linhardt is probably the biggest offender of this category. His character feels lazy in more senses than one; the quickest way of getting people to fawn over someone is by making them lazy, smart, and blunt - that's what gets everyone to declare that character to be their spirit animal or similar nonsense. "This guys is a lazy asshole who knows more than everybody else? I'M a lazy genius who tells everyone what I think!". Linhardt is generally unsympathetic, uninteresting, and unengaging.

Dimitri. I'm conflicted about this, because I rather enjoy him on paper and in the academy phase, but I simply don't buy his character arc and consider it probably the biggest blight on the game story-wise.

53 minutes ago, Wolfen09 said:

Caspar: he was kind of meh to me at school, post skip though, he looks great, then I got his b support with byleth and I'm like yeah there's no talking sense to you dude

Caspar's B support with Byleth is just ridiculous.

Grew to Like

Raphael: I was expected English Effie Pt. 2, but Raph's supports are surprisingly funny. In addition, after his paralogue, he became one of my favorite in the whole cast.

Seteth: I expected absolutely nothing from this boring, overprotective, and uninteresting lapdog. He became one of my favorites after I actually got some supports with him.

Hilda: Wasn't expected to like her at all but her supports and combat performance easily won me over.

Grew to Dislike

Manuela: That whole wine-aunt thing started rubbing me the wrong way. At least she taught my guy how to fly.

Ingrid: We get it. Arranged marriage bad. Glenn dead. Then she was deadweight pretty early so I have no reason to be fond of her.