Near-complete recruitment guide + need some help!

Sorry it took so long, but here's the updated recruitment guide.

NOTE: There is some missing information, mainly about Gilbert and Part 2 that I'll add later.

Obviously, there are lots of recruitment guides out there, but there is a lot of uncertainty and some of the guides seem to have incorrect information about recruiting the students.

After a lot of research, I think I've nailed down the recruitment conditions, for the most part anyway.

The default values listed are from the game code and I verified a bunch of them, although not all of them. I also tried various combinations of support levels to figure out the reduced conditions and extrapolated the rest.

So I'm pretty confident they're all correct. However, I couldn't try every combination, so that's where I might need some help.

If you're still recruiting any characters in your save file(s), please let me know if your results match or don't match with the requirements listed. This is for manual recruitment only--automatic recruitment ignores all requirements.

TBH, I've done so much testing I'm kind of sick of it XD

Also, if you have any questions, just ask!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a brief note, you can technically recruit Caspar and Ferdinand via a B support if you're on a NG+ file, since you can just buy their B support. I did that on my current run, so I can confirm that it works.

Otherwise, this is really excellent work, and takes a lot of the vague uncertainty away from trying to recruit somebody.

Edited by Silly

When I get home I'll boot up a new game and verify if the Recruit option is available during Chapter 2 (5th Month).  And Catherine being available as early as Chapter 4, cause it seems off to me.

Because the first mission, rout the thieves at Zanado, you can't ask for any mission assistance. And Catherine being available a month before Cyril is odd, too.

EDIT: Okay, the Recruit option is available for Chapter 2. And Catherine at Chapter 4 at the earliest is an option to Recruit.

Edited by Jacien

50 minutes ago, Silly said:

Just a brief note, you can technically recruit Caspar and Ferdinand via a B support if you're on a NG+ file, since you can just buy their B support. I did that on my current run, so I can confirm that it works.

Otherwise, this is really excellent work, and takes a lot of the vague uncertainty away from trying to recruit somebody.

Oh yeah, I kinda forgot you can do that ^^

33 minutes ago, Jacien said:

When I get home I'll boot up a new game and verify if the Recruit option is available during Chapter 2 (5th Month).  And Catherine being available as early as Chapter 4, cause it seems off to me.

Because the first mission, rout the thieves at Zanado, you can't ask for any mission assistance. And Catherine being available a month before Cyril is odd, too.

Sure, I appreciate any research.

That's what I remember from my playthrough. One thing to bear in mind, I think you can only explore once during the month where you go to Zanado.

EDIT

Oh, this is very important. Class stat boosts (via class changing) don't count. For example Str +1 for Fighter.

Edited by VincentASM

18 minutes ago, timon said:

Minor thing as it's only one character, but how is Ingrid influenced by supports? Since she starts from D.

Also is the level requirement lowered by supporting teachers?

Very good question. I overlooked her but I just started a new Golden Deer file so I can check soon.

Yes, Level counts as a stat. I'll make a note later. I checked with Catherine and Cyril.

Gilbert automatically joins you in Chapter 13 (first map after post-skip) at the start of turn three on the Blue Lions route. I don’t think there are any other requirements (and he can “die” in Miklan’s chapter and will still join you), and the circumstances of his joining you heavily imply that there are none. He should be Blue Lions only since in the other three routes, he sticks by Dimitri.

Edited by Moonlit Knight

Also, a minor note.  The game checks if you pass the criteria upon clicking the Recruit button.

So if you're close to hitting the requirements, you can hold off on hitting the button (or reload the save after checking) to push yourself during the Exploration. If you have stat increase items, or do Faculty Training, or increase support, to reach the requirements, then Recruit them.

For example, what happened here in this vid

Spoiler

Marianne - Needs 10 Magic and Riding at C. My Magic is at 18, Riding at D+. 

I had C-Support, so her requirements are 8/C.

I attempted to Recruit her, was denied.

I reload my save, gift her enough items to push her to C+ Support, and now her requirements are 6/D+.

Was able to Recruit.

Edited by Jacien

What happens if you have enough support points for the next rank, but the conversation is time-locked? Right now I have Ferdinand with C Support viewed and B Support pending, but can't actually view the B Support conversation yet. The Dex requirement is a non-issue, but I'm not sure if I can get Byleth's Heavy Armor skill up high enough in time.

2 hours ago, Jacien said:

Also, a minor note.  The game checks if you pass the criteria upon clicking the Recruit button.

So if you're close to hitting the requirements, you can hold off on hitting the button (or reload the save after checking) to push yourself during the Exploration. If you have stat increase items, or do Faculty Training, or increase support, to reach the requirements, then Recruit them.

I think that's covered under additional notes, near the beginning. I hid a bunch of stuff to try and save space.

Thanks for checking Marianne as well!

34 minutes ago, EdgeOfDreams said:

What happens if you have enough support points for the next rank, but the conversation is time-locked? Right now I have Ferdinand with C Support viewed and B Support pending, but can't actually view the B Support conversation yet. The Dex requirement is a non-issue, but I'm not sure if I can get Byleth's Heavy Armor skill up high enough in time.

It will count as C+. You can check via the "Share a meal" menu.

Likewise, you can get B+ for everyone else before the time skip. Just now, I painstakingly showered Ingrid with gifts and tea parties to reach B+.

@timon

Ingrid needs D Flying up to C+ support, then E+ Flying at B or B+. I didn't check A, but I assume it's got to be "any will do".

Oh whoops. My b, so yeah, you can start Recruiting in Chapter 2.

Spoiler

vKaWScn.png

I guess when I was screenshotting in Chapter 3, I forgot it was available in Chapter 2. 

And yeah, Catherine at Chapter 4.  Haha. I solo'd everything before so was well over 15 to make it work. I checked Cyril and he didn't have any Recruit option at all.

Spoiler

7GnfvJk.png

Jeez, I guess the hours upon hours of grinding out Skill Levels made me remember things wrong. :<

Edited by Jacien

30 minutes ago, Jayvee94 said:

Given the information we have, how do the students rank in effort required to recruit? What would be the recommended strategy for each?

Hard to say; it's heavily reliant on supports, so it depends on whether or not everybody can reach C/B at the same rate. Characters who like to cook or to sing should be at a slight advantage too, but I don't think we know by how much yet?

Then there are factors like the availability of faculty training(you have two riding trainers for a good while, but one armored until Gilbert shows up). Faith requirements in general are hard to gauge because they're higher and you need to awaken Byleth's budding talent before it becomes a strength, but you do have choir to increase it further. Still, they're probably among the worst. Caspar should be one of the easiest since there's no shortage of brawling instructors, and it's a strength of Byleth.
Stat requirements in general don't seem too egregious, outside of Charm ones(and even then from experience it's not really a big deal), so it's largely about just getting those weapon ranks.

Recommended strategy for a majority of them is to take them to B rank support by way of gift showering, then save scum until they ask to join your house. It's considerably easier, especially on a first playthrough.

20 hours ago, Cysx said:

Hard to say; it's heavily reliant on supports, so it depends on whether or not everybody can reach C/B at the same rate. Characters who like to cook or to sing should be at a slight advantage too, but I don't think we know by how much yet?

Then there are factors like the availability of faculty training(you have two riding trainers for a good while, but one armored until Gilbert shows up). Faith requirements in general are hard to gauge because they're higher and you need to awaken Byleth's budding talent before it becomes a strength, but you do have choir to increase it further. Still, they're probably among the worst. Caspar should be one of the easiest since there's no shortage of brawling instructors, and it's a strength of Byleth.
Stat requirements in general don't seem too egregious, outside of Charm ones(and even then from experience it's not really a big deal), so it's largely about just getting those weapon ranks.

Recommended strategy for a majority of them is to take them to B rank support by way of gift showering, then save scum until they ask to join your house. It's considerably easier, especially on a first playthrough.

And for those who are locked at C/C+ supports, we are gonna have to raise our weapon ranks.

1 minute ago, Jayvee94 said:

And for those who are locked at C/C+ supports, we are gonna have to raise our weapon ranks.

Yes. But there are only two of them to my knowledge, one of which is Caspar.

And can also confirm for others, Gilbert is Blue Lions only, automatically joins in Chapter 13 (which is the first chapter of Azure Moon).

On my second playthrough of Blue Lions currently.

Regarding Caspar's recruitment -

I recruited him into my Blue Lions playthrough, but not through asking him, he approached me during the week and asked to join my house.

I definitely had enough strength to recruit him, and had his b support available.

On the weekend before I recruited him, I had D rank for guantlets, tried to recruit, failed, and then upped my gauntlet rank to D+.

After I finished exploring, early in that week, Caspar asked to join my house.

Not sure if this helps out or not with info but I figured I'd throw it out there. If you need further info, let me know

EDIT AUGUST 26 2019: Please refer to my other thread which has the most up to date info:

Over here someone is working on all the Support points and mechanics.  I've been talking to them about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/cotnwo/everything_you_need_to_know_about_getting_your/

The part about "Plus Ranks add 200 points" is incorrect.  Every unit has C+, B+, A+ ranks, as Vincent shows. And this is the breakdown for it.  I've personally confirmed C+ and B+.

0 - 100: None
101 - 200: C
201 - 300: C+
301 - 450: B
451 - 600: B+
601 - 800: A
801 - 1000: A+
1001: S

My Screenshots comparing to the data via the save editor:

Lots of pending A Supports. Value is at 600 points.

Spoiler

D1LaO2U.png

image.png.61ea3ebcd24c89212743737a125d52c9.png

Dimitri with a pending B and two pending B+ Supports.

Spoiler

YSM0XEi.png

image.png.d53f5bfd3cfbbb18ba9318b2be04ef1b.png

Hilda with a pending C+ on Lorenz, and pending B on Caspar.

Spoiler

Mbelw9n.png

image.png.7e5e54273844fa0d755a98b02542f164.png

image.png.1ea4df5bf3816d5c79b8e1a11b419ec2.png

So yeah. There's a lot of 101s because I was grinding C-Supports.  When you reach the threshold, all point gains stop there, and when you do the support it adds +1, so the game puts them at the rank.

And a fun tidbit, you can tell who has the most points for your unit by the "Close Allies" listing in Notes. And if there's a tie, it goes by internal Support List order.

Spoiler

w7oAObE.png

LZetV34.png

EDIT: I noticed that in my Game-Data Complete Save File, Mercedes was set to 1001 (she was my S-rank choice) as was Ashe (the game picks an opposite gender char so you can switch genders and have access to an S-rank for NG+).  Then I saw other chars were capped at 1000 (like Annette).  So A/A+ is from 601-1000.

image.png.26bffd0fa5832c957be42a388d80ac3b.png

Edited by Jacien

Noticed the requirement table already on the site for all support levels. Since Byleth only has C+ convo with Edelgard and B+ with Claude, there must be something. How does Share a meal menu view the + levels? Is that the up arrow or something else?

What about recruitment post-timeskip? I've had friends who have played through the game and say that some characters haven't shown up until certain chapters post-timeskip, and they've had to defeat the character to recruit them. However, having recruited everyone on my Black Eagles playthrough, this never happened for me: everyone was with me right from the start of the timeskip. Does anyone have any idea on how that works yet? I'm not sure how you would even go about testing that.

I'm just going to copy paste this here because I see a lot of disinformation with this supposed "post timeskip recruitment" (in case you're wondering, no you can't, there's only one exception).

On 8/19/2019 at 9:59 AM, timon said:

On sparing:

- Not killing characters by just avoiding them doesn't matter at all, the game just ignores it.

- On the other hand sometimes dealing the killing blow with Byleth (and in some cases your lord) gives you an option to spare. The game does acknowledge that, but it's just some different/extra dialogue.

On recruiting:

- If you want someone, you have to get them in school

- The people you recruit will be with you after the timeskip

- There are two exceptions to that, Lorenz in BL and Ashe in GD, for those two you have to face them as foes before you can have them back in your team

- There's a last exception which is Lysithea exlusively in Crimson Flower, if you beat her with Byleth (and I suppose Edelgard as well) you get the option to recruit her REGARDLESS of ANY condition (you don't need to have recruited her in school, you don't need a support level, you don't need any weapon rank nor stat)

- If you recruited her in the school phase this doesn't happen, you'll face a random gremory instead and she'll be with you from the start (note that recruiting her after the timeskip gives some exclusive dialogue/hindsight).

Hope this summarizes it.

Note that I don't know if you have to kill Ashe/Lorenz with Byleth to get them to rejoin, I don't think so though, given that you technically already recruited them and supposedly put effort into training them, it would be a bit scummy to "hide" them behind a secret condition.

On 8/17/2019 at 3:00 AM, Mbgx16 said:

Regarding Caspar's recruitment -

I recruited him into my Blue Lions playthrough, but not through asking him, he approached me during the week and asked to join my house.

I definitely had enough strength to recruit him, and had his b support available.

On the weekend before I recruited him, I had D rank for guantlets, tried to recruit, failed, and then upped my gauntlet rank to D+.

After I finished exploring, early in that week, Caspar asked to join my house.

Not sure if this helps out or not with info but I figured I'd throw it out there. If you need further info, let me know

Thanks! I want to test that, but I haven't finished my Black Eagles run yet, so I can't attempt to recruit Caspar with a B support...

That said, I did get him with C in Brawling without supports. So I assumed he scaled like normal.

Is there anyone who's beaten Black Eagles route who can test this? Basically, unlock Caspar's B support and then buy a D Brawling rank (assuming you trained it). Then see if you can recruit him while exploring. I don't think you need to raise your Strength at all.

@Jacien

That's nice to know!

I did think something was off about how plus supports worked--and I thought it might tie in with the Close Allies list.

@timon

Thanks! That helps a lot ^^

So it's just those three characters, huh?

Edited by VincentASM