Near-complete recruitment guide + need some help!

6 hours ago, timon said:

- There's a last exception which is Lysithea exlusively in Crimson Flower, if you beat her with Byleth (and I suppose Edelgard as well) you get the option to recruit her REGARDLESS of ANY condition (you don't need to have recruited her in school, you don't need a support level, you don't need any weapon rank nor stat)

It appears that Lysithea's post-skip recruitment can be made more lenient. Out of curiosity, I purposefully avoided recruiting her pre-skip, but did raise her to a C support with Edelgard and B with Byleth. I'm currently on the chapter post-skip where she's an enemy, and I get the persuade option regardless of who I have beat her, including original Black Eagles, Ingrid, Leonie, teachers, and knights.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@VincentASM Discovered two more wonky things with Supports.

https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/88931-sharing-my-accumulated-info-and-resources-of-various-things-assets-paraloguebattalion-info-lost-items-etc/&do=findComment&comment=5493104

Basically in short.

1) If a unit doesn't have an S-rank, the points can accumulate all the way to 1001, which is actually used for S-ranks. So that's why me and others discovered when we switched genders, we could buy some straight away in NG+. Because in my case, the game saw Ashe had 1001 points, so toggled S-rank purchasable for F!Byleth.

2) The game won't tell you if you're in A+ range, unless the unit has a potential S-rank (or at least an A+ Rank when I think of it). I have screenshots showing Ashe/Felix who are clearly in A+ range, but it only says A.  While Ingrid/Annette/Alois have A+ displayed for M!Byleth.

EDIT: Haha, one more thing. The 1001 is also true for the other units.  I looked and saw why the endings did what they did for me.

Spoiler

image.png.083cc95785d5897e086ac05b4e8e96e8.png

It goes in order from top to bottom for picking the A-rank endings.

First time I cleared I did S-rank with Sothis, then the pairings went in order of the support list

1. Dimitri is first, so was paired with Dedue as that was his highest
  2. Felix got with Ingrid, because theirs was the highest A rank
  3. Ashe got with Mercedes, as that was his highest A rank
  4. Sylvain got a solo, as there were no remaining A ranks to pull from.

Then on my second clear, which is my current NG+ file I picked Mercedes as the S-rank

1. Dimitri and Dedue again
  2. Felix and Ingrid again
  3. Ashe got with Annette because that was the highest A-rank available, as I took away Mercedes
  4. Sylvain alone again.
Edited by Jacien

3 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Basically, unlock Caspar's B support and then buy a D Brawling rank (assuming you trained it). Then see if you can recruit him while exploring. I don't think you need to raise your Strength at all.

I was able to recruit Caspar with Str 22 Brawl D+ Support C+ in my BL playthrough. 

Edited by Ririn

3 hours ago, Ririn said:

I was able to recruit Caspar with Str 22 Brawl D+ Support C+ in my BL playthrough. 

Thanks, I was able to check that myself but I want to check his B support specifically ^^

There's a possibility that his requirements at B and B+ might be slightly off because Byleth's Brawling skill starts at E+ rather than E.

Under the normal scaling, that means the requirements would be lowered to E+ Brawling when you get to B+ support, which *might* be considered too low by the game (as it means an automatic pass, which should happen when you get to A support instead).

So maybe it's something like D+ for B support and then D for B+. But that's just a guess.

Edited by VincentASM

11 hours ago, Radnar said:

It appears that Lysithea's post-skip recruitment can be made more lenient. Out of curiosity, I purposefully avoided recruiting her pre-skip, but did raise her to a C support with Edelgard and B with Byleth. I'm currently on the chapter post-skip where she's an enemy, and I get the persuade option regardless of who I have beat her, including original Black Eagles, Ingrid, Leonie, teachers, and knights.

8 hours ago, Jayvee94 said:

Mangs was able to recruit Lysithea after defeating her with Ingrid of all people.

Well this confirms it, you can recruit her regardless of literally anything then. I assumed it needed Byleth since you need him to spare Claude and her dialogue speaks directly to the professor (I guess it's just another one of those "let's talk while there's a giant battlefield between us").

I assume it'll be the same for the other 2 chumps then.

To my understanding, usually, when one of your students you recruited on White Clouds leave after time skip, they will join you when defeated.

Special mention to: Lysie on Crimson Flower (because Mages), Lorenz on Azure Moon (because Knights), and Ashe on Verdant Wind (because Archers). They can be spared whether you recruit them on White Clouds or not.

18 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Can you recruit Lysithea on the Church Route/Silver Snow? I'm assuming it's Crimson Flower only for battlefield recruitment but... Has anyone tested that?

2 hours ago, Jayvee94 said:

To my understanding, usually, when one of your students you recruited on White Clouds leave after time skip, they will join you when defeated.

Special mention to: Lysie on Crimson Flower (because Mages), Lorenz on Azure Moon (because Knights), and Ashe on Verdant Wind (because Archers). They can be spared whether you recruit them on White Clouds or not.

Going to quote myself again, here's how it works. To answer you two specifically, Lysithea can be recruited like anyone else as a student. In CF you just get one more chance. Lorenz and Ashe can't be recruited post timeskip, but if you recruited them as students you'll have to face them as enemies before getting them to join you again. No other student leaves you in the timeskip, with the exception of Dedue for story reasons.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:59 AM, timon said:

On sparing:

- Not killing characters by just avoiding them doesn't matter at all, the game just ignores it.

- On the other hand sometimes dealing the killing blow with Byleth (and in some cases your lord) gives you an option to spare. The game does acknowledge that, but it's just some different/extra dialogue.

On recruiting:

- If you want someone, you have to get them in school

- The people you recruit will be with you after the timeskip

- There are two exceptions to that, Lorenz in BL and Ashe in GD, for those two you have to face them as foes before you can have them back in your team

- There's a last exception which is Lysithea exlusively in Crimson Flower, if you beat her with Byleth (and I suppose Edelgard as well) you get the option to recruit her REGARDLESS of ANY condition (you don't need to have recruited her in school, you don't need a support level, you don't need any weapon rank nor stat)

- If you recruited her in the school phase this doesn't happen, you'll face a random gremory instead and she'll be with you from the start (note that recruiting her after the timeskip gives some exclusive dialogue/hindsight).

Hope this summarizes it.

Slight corrections, doesn't matter who gets the kill on Lysithea/Lorenz/Ashe, you can get them anyways (do read carefully please, you can get Lysithea as a new unit, Lorenz and Ashe are only re-recruitments if you got them as students!).

To add to this, you can't get Hilda in Black Eagles unless you side with the Church, you can still build support with her, but the option will unlock in chapter 12 after you choose your side (and it's not cheese-able by building B support to have her ask herself, she'll never ask until chapter 12).

Edited by timon

6 hours ago, timon said:

To add to this, you can't get Hilda in Black Eagles unless you side with the Church, you can still build support with her, but the option will unlock in chapter 12 after you choose your side (and it's not cheese-able by building B support to have her ask herself, she'll never ask until chapter 12).

I played through the GD first and on my second playthrough, I went BE. I recall seeing the option to recruit Hilda on the second month, but it went away on the next month. My guess is that if you buy a A support with her, you could get her in that month. I'll start a new game to test this.

Nevermind, You can't get her on the second month.

Edited by Bryan064

On 8/24/2019 at 6:00 PM, PrincessAlyson said:

Can you recruit Lysithea on the Church Route/Silver Snow? I'm assuming it's Crimson Flower only for battlefield recruitment but... Has anyone tested that?

Lorenz and Ashe are the only two students you face as enemies the entire church route, so, no, you can’t recruit her after the timeskip on that route because you never see her again (Pre-skip, you can recruit everyone like normal)

Edited by Moonlit Knight

On 8/25/2019 at 12:06 PM, timon said:

Going to quote myself again, here's how it works. To answer you two specifically, Lysithea can be recruited like anyone else as a student. In CF you just get one more chance. Lorenz and Ashe can't be recruited post timeskip, but if you recruited them as students you'll have to face them as enemies before getting them to join you again. No other student leaves you in the timeskip, with the exception of Dedue for story reasons.

Slight corrections, doesn't matter who gets the kill on Lysithea/Lorenz/Ashe, you can get them anyways (do read carefully please, you can get Lysithea as a new unit, Lorenz and Ashe are only re-recruitments if you got them as students!).

Thanks. I was aware I could recruit her normally, but wasn't sure if I could get her through battle. I've recruited her in BL, so getting her again in Silver Snow shouldn't be too hard.

22 hours ago, Moonlit Knight said:

Lorenz and Ashe are the only two students you face as enemies the entire church route, so, no, you can’t recruit her after the timeskip on that route because you never see her again (Pre-skip, you can recruit everyone like normal)

Wow, only two students as enemies. That's a relief. I'll be sure to snatch as many students as I can on Silver Snow. Thanks for the reply!

Just going to confirm the obvious (since it's still on the main page) but Gilbert is a BL-only unit. He will not join on the True BE, Church BE or GD routes.
A very easy proof (aside from playing all the routes) is looking at supports. Only on the BL path you can support with him in Part 1, all the other routes do not allow that (akin to the other Lords, Hubert and Dedue).

On 8/26/2019 at 8:43 PM, bethany81707 said:

I'm playing Church route for the first time now, and I recruited Ashe for the Shoes of the Wind. I can confirm that Ashe will leave the party to go be an enemy on this route, too.

Lorenz, less sure.

Yes, both Lorenz and Ashe will leave and need to be re-recruited on the Church Route.

I can confirm that a C Support with Caspar and D+ Brawling recruits him. Got the Brawling rank without having ever equipped Gauntlets on Byleth (rank achieved solely from base and faculty lessons). 17 Str at time of recruitment, for the record.

Just realized someone else posted this above.

Edited by Life

On 8/21/2019 at 4:55 PM, VincentASM said:

Thanks, I was able to check that myself but I want to check his B support specifically ^^

There's a possibility that his requirements at B and B+ might be slightly off because Byleth's Brawling skill starts at E+ rather than E.

Under the normal scaling, that means the requirements would be lowered to E+ Brawling when you get to B+ support, which *might* be considered too low by the game (as it means an automatic pass, which should happen when you get to A support instead).

So maybe it's something like D+ for B support and then D for B+. But that's just a guess.

I just recruited Caspar with B+ support and E+ Brawl, if you're still looking for an answer on this.

On 8/31/2019 at 3:08 AM, Life said:

I can confirm that a C Support with Caspar and D+ Brawling recruits him. Got the Brawling rank without having ever equipped Gauntlets on Byleth (rank achieved solely from base and faculty lessons). 17 Str at time of recruitment, for the record.

Just realized someone else posted this above.

really? I had a D+ in it and i didn't get him (and I had the Bsupport (flashing, since you can't unlock on it). wow. i wonder what happened there. maybe just fluky. on my end.

For Mercedes, she will join you with D in bows (and lower than required magic) - with a B support
Ingrid seems to ignore the flying at D+ if you have a B Support and higher dex. (this is so much fun to figure out lol)

7 hours ago, timon said:

btw people we do have the accurate numbers fyi, I don't think there's need to gather any more data.

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/recruitment/

i have to say - i am curious how set in stone this is. 
like for example i just recruited felix - C support, C+ swords 19 speed. 
the other time i needed to have the B+ in swords. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I thought I'd chip in that there's probably a mistake regarding Ingrid. Just tried to recruit her with C Support, D Flying and exactly 12 Dex, and she turned me down. Is the requirement for Flying possibly D+?

Edited by Elephantus

23 minutes ago, Elephantus said:

Hi there, I thought I'd chip in that there's probably a mistake regarding Ingrid. Just tried to recruit her with C Support, D Flying and exactly 12 Dex, and she turned me down. Is the requirement for Flying possibly D+?

Make sure the Dex isn't inflated by class base stat changes since they don't count towards the requirement (for example, if Byleth has 9 Dex at base, promoting him into a Thief will bump up his Dex to 11 and the extra +2 Dex won't count towards recruiment). Skills that add stats also don't count towards the total as well.

Best way to check if you have stats that will recruit is reclass Byleth into a Commoner and take off any +stat skills to make sure he has 12 Dex there.

If that doesn't work then the Flying rank could be wrong.

Edited by Lunarly

3 minutes ago, Lunarly said:

Make sure the Dex isn't inflated by class base stat changes since they don't count towards the requirement (for example, if Byleth has 9 Dex at base, promoting him into a Thief will bump up his Dex to 11 and the extra +2 Dex won't count towards recruiment). Skills that add stats also don't count towards the total as well. Best way to check if you have stats that will recruit is reclassing Byleth into a Commoner and take off any +stat skills to make sure he has 12 Dex there.

If that doesn't work then the Flying rank could be wrong.

Just checked, you were correct. My Byleth is a Soldier at the moment which has a +1 Dex modifier that I didn't factor in. Thanks for clearing that up.