74 members have voted

1. 1. Which father did you like more?

• Greil
    • Jeralt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler warning for both games. But if you were reading this thread and care about those, you're making bad decisions.

Greil never clicked with me. His characterization while he was alive was very... stiff. It was obvious to me the writers were more interested in characterizing Soren and Titania than him, I don't remember anything about Greil that can't be summed up as "gruff mercenary captain". Then the way he dies is incredibly stupid, runs away from all his allies to have some stupid anime duel. Didn't like all the weird hero worship he got either (the worst bit is when one enemy general surrenders to you because he refuses to let Greil's fighting style disappear from the world, WTF).

Jeralt I felt we got a bit more out of. He has opinions on Rhea which are complicated. His relationship with his own child is complicated by his/her lack of emotions, and it's touching to his love shine through despite his difficulties with that fact. There's a relatively minor PC (Alois) with some rather specific connections and a relationship with him. While he shares Greil's problem of "the writers were obviously more interested in some of the characters around him", I think he comes out a bit better. He too gets some hero worship but it's kept to far more reasonable levels. Also EDIT: Jeralt's death scene is far better. "To think the first time I saw you cry, it would be for me."

And the claim that he's less worthy because he was taken out by someone less "badass" or powerful is ridiculous. Anyone can die from a knife to the back from someone they had dismissed as not a threat. Being a great warrior does not give you magical plot armour. (That said, I'm generally fine with criticising the group of villains who killed him; I too prefer Greil's killer to Jeralt's. But that doesn't impact my opinion on the respective characters.)

Edited by Dark Holy Elf

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Spoiler warning for both games. But if you were reading this thread and care about those, you're making bad decisions.

Greil never clicked with me. His characterization while he was alive was very... stiff. It was obvious to me the writers were more interested in characterizing Soren and Titania than him, I don't remember anything about Greil that can't be summed up as "gruff mercenary captain". Then the way he dies is incredibly stupid, runs away from all his allies to have some stupid anime duel. Didn't like all the weird hero worship he got either (the worst bit is when one enemy general surrenders to you because he refuses to let Greil's fighting style disappear from the world, WTF).

Jeralt I felt we got a bit more out of. He has opinions on Rhea which are complicated. His relationship with his own child is complicated by his/her lack of emotions, and it's touching to his love shine through despite his difficulties with that fact. There's a relatively minor PC (Alois) with some rather specific connections and a relationship with him. While he shares Greil's problem of "the writers were obviously more interested in some of the characters around him", I think he comes out a bit better. He too gets some hero worship but it's kept to far more reasonable levels. Also Greil's death scene is far better. "To think the first time I saw you cry, it would be for me."

And the claim that he's less worthy because he was taken out by someone less "badass" or powerful is ridiculous. Anyone can die from a knife to the back from someone they had dismissed as not a threat. Being a great warrior does not give you magical plot armour. (That said, I'm generally fine with criticising the group of villains who killed him; I too prefer Greil's killer to Jeralt's. But that doesn't impact my opinion on the respective characters.)

I completely agree with all you said. Just to ad, thanks to the surrounding characters and the fact that he stayed alive a bit longer than Greil he got more character info to him.

PS. I think you mean Jeralt‘s death scene that’s his quote after all.

9 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Personality wise, isn't Greil just FE10! Ike? 

I like everything about Jeralt including his death

Because unlike every other dad, his death was never meant to happen and not part of a grand plan or off screen. Pretty different.

Personally, I'm going with Greil. I enjoy that Greil's death had such an impact on the Mercenaries that Shinon and Gatrie leave. Greil has such an impact that even Ashnard acknowledges his strength. Though, I will say Greil was strict and didn't really show much love to his kids. Jeralt felt more loving.  It is strange that Jeralt is forgotten about after that month until Byleth chooses his/her partner in marriage. His suspicions about Rhea and the church is fascinating. Though, I will say it's disappointing that Jeralt wasn't stronger in terms of stats.