What do you think would happen if two crest-bearers (of different crests) had a child?

Does the dna pool “pick” one Crest over the other like a genetic lottery?  I don’t think two will manifest at once, fe4-holy blood style... 

I wonder how it worked in past generations of Fódlan...

For example, the Crest of Seiros was brought down through House Hresvelg... what if another Crest was brought into that bloodline... does one Crest take priority over another?  It’s very interesting to think that really only one Crest manifested in one bloodline for around 1,000 years... or are they disowned if they own another one? (Like if someone in House Hresvelg owns a Crest of Cichol or something...)

Another question... how far back does the bloodline have to go for a Crest to manifest?  

29 minutes ago, KelluPato said:

Does the dna pool “pick” one Crest over the other like a genetic lottery?  I don’t think two will manifest at once...

Actually, Lysithea and another *spoiler* character have 2 crests at once. Lysithea has both the Major Gloucester and Minor Charon.

Spoiler

However, having two crests at once leads to poor health and a drastically shortened lifespan. The only way to save her (and likely Edelgard as well) is to remove their crests altogether through magic.

It’s very interesting to think that really only one Crest manifested in one bloodline for around 1,000 years... or are they disowned if they own another one?

It's far more likely that they would be married off to or adopted by the family that typically bears that crest. Though in Hanneman's supports, he said that nearly his whole family had crests, though he never stated which ones (he bears Indech's). If they only carried one, you'd think he would have specified, but he didn't. Therefore maybe some houses bear multiple, while some just have the one strong bloodline.

Another question... how far back does the bloodline have to go for a Crest to manifest?  

It has been stated that commoners can bear crests, though the likelyhood the "commoners" are simply bastards or branches from abandoned crestless nobles is far more likely. Basically, strong crested bloodlines are preferred, but some times it pops up very far down the line, like a highly recessive gene.

Quite possibly absolutely nothing. If you have a crest, your child isn't guaranteed to have one. I even remember a mention of a noble that kept on having children until he got one with a crest. With this in mind, I'd say a child with two crests is an unlikely occurance. 

Spoiler

Linhardt even mentions in a conversation with Lysithea that he couldn't find any other records of it happening besides to her. Lysithea herself only has it because of experiments. Possibly the same explanation goes for another character revealed later as having two crests.

9 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

I even remember a mention of a noble that kept on having children until he got one with a crest. With this in mind, I'd say a child with two crests is an unlikely occurance. 

Hide contents

Linhardt even mentions in a conversation with Lysithea that he couldn't find any other records of it happening besides to her. Lysithea herself only has it because of experiments. Possibly the same explanation goes for another character revealed later as having two crests.

Yes, Sylvain's supports go into this quite a bit. He talks about how nobles will pop out kids like crazy until one has a crest, and then that one becomes the heir. Frequently they'll all but abandon the others, and disown them if they complain or (rightly) cause a fuss. Or if they just don't feel like supporting 15 kids.

Spoiler

I was aware that Edelgard's dual-crests were the result of experiments, but was not aware Lysithea was experimented on.

It may be that dual crests are otherwise impossible. Or it may be that dual-crested infants are miscarried, still-born, or die shortly after birth. Due to the nature of the source of crests, they might even be disfigured. That sort of thing would lead to the nobility hushing up anything about dual-crests, or perhaps they wouldn't even bother to check if the child had a crest once it's dead.

It seems to me if they had the idea to create dual-crests through experiments, they got the idea from somewhere. And absconding with a dead infant seems par for the course for Those Who Slither in the Dark.

33 minutes ago, Wolfen09 said:

So I haven't played eagles route yet, so question

Hide contents

Does eldegard get her crest of flames from twsitd experiments or like byleth from Rhea trying to bring back sothis?

Spoiler

Experiments, like Lysithea. Though Edel is the only one who came out with 2 crests and without problems (her siblings died/went insane, Lysithea has a shortened lifespan). IIRC there's a scene where Solon mentions the Flame Emperor as "our best creation".

Those experiments are also the reason both their hair are bleached btw.

As for the question at hand, Hanneman and Linhardt mention that 2 crests are impossible (or at least, never seen before) as a natural occurence, so I guess they'd work like genes. One simply takes over the other and manifests, the other lays "dormant", it's like when two people with brown eyes have a child with blue eyes, they probably both had the dormant gene for blue eyes (or a lucky gardener).

Edited by timon

In Sylvain and Ingrids ending (both have crests) they have all crestless babies so maybe they cancel each other out. Or the dominant one takes over as stated above. 

Spoiler

I know Flayn and Linhardts ending has all the kids with major crests but that could just b proximity to Flayn.

This is a good question. I'd think that the child could have two crests, considering that Lysithea does (though I get the feeling that might be for other reasons).

I can't recall if it was with the avatar or someone else, but in one of her supports, Lysithea mentions that she and many other kids were tested on when House Ordelia was under Imperial rule. Most had died from the experiments and they continued till Lysithea's hair turned white. As she said "One day I woke up and all the pigment in my hair was gone. They quickly tested me and they saw I had two crests."

This whole two crest thing, as I see, is a case of 'too much' power for one to handle. It's an overload on one's lifeforce like having a Nitro booster on a car, it gives lots of power to the engine but wears out the inner workings at a far faster rate.

If a child was ever born with two crest, it may not have lived long enough to have been proven that it would have two crest and as such is thought to be impossible. Lysithea could have been the 'proto-type' for Eldegard as their had succeeded in their experiments on her and the other kids of House Ordelia, with Lysithea being the only survivor.

3 hours ago, KKAfterbrun said:
Spoiler

I can't recall if it was with the avatar or someone else, but in one of her supports, Lysithea mentions that she and many other kids were tested on when House Ordelia was under Imperial rule. Most had died from the experiments and they continued till Lysithea's hair turned white. As she said "One day I woke up and all the pigment in my hair was gone. They quickly tested me and they saw I had two crests."

This whole two crest thing, as I see, is a case of 'too much' power for one to handle. It's an overload on one's lifeforce like having a Nitro booster on a car, it gives lots of power to the engine but wears out the inner workings at a far faster rate.

If a child was ever born with two crest, it may not have lived long enough to have been proven that it would have two crest and as such is thought to be impossible. Lysithea could have been the 'proto-type' for Eldegard as their had succeeded in their experiments on her and the other kids of House Ordelia, with Lysithea being the only survivor.

You might want to put this in spoilers for people who haven't come across this information