As someone who was VERY skeptical of this game before it came out...

Dinar87

I think FE 3h is actually my FAVORITE in the entire series, better than the radiance games and the gba games even! I just love the story, characters, world building, and that GODLY music!!! Seriously, listen to "Fierce as Fire" battle preparations music...it's really good!!

I honestly never saw it coming...I don't think anyone expected this game to be THIS good when it was first shown off at e3 2018...but even with the mediocre graphics and some other minor stuff, it's easily my favorite in the franchise because I just love the atmosphere so much.

Now, if only IS could get onto making those Judral remakes...yeah that'd be epic!

Edited by Dinar87

I also had really low expectations for Three Houses. I suspected the game would basically be Fates with worse gameplay and a slightly better story, but from my play time with the game I can confidently say that this game as pleasantly surprised me. I think Fates still plays better, but Three Houses is far from bad. The real kicker is the story and characters which are miles better than what Fates had to offer. However, just because it surpassed my low expectations doesn't mean I'm ready to call it my favorite game in the series. For that to happen I still need to beat the game or at least get closer to the end.

So far the game is also very positive for me - I really like the characters so far, and I'm actually looking forward to see more of the support conversations. There's so many of them, it feels like an entire book. The story is also pretty good, and since I was bad in recruitment in my first playthrough, it did made me uncomfortable in some chapters.

My only nitpicks are the music in the chapter "The City Without Light", and the lack of the Lunatic difficulty.

8 hours ago, Dinar87 said:

I think FE 3h is actually my FAVORITE in the entire series, better than the radiance games and the gba games even! I just love the story, characters, world building, and that GODLY music!!! Seriously, listen to "Fierce as Fire" battle preparations music...it's really good!!

I honestly never saw it coming...I don't think anyone expected this game to be THIS good when it was first shown off at e3 2018...but even with the mediocre graphics and some other minor stuff, it's easily my favorite in the franchise because I just love the atmosphere so much.

Now, if only IS could get onto making those Judral remakes...yeah that'd be epic!

That last line, if we got an fe4&5 remake, I would probably die of a heart attack, 4 is my favorite in the series by a long shot.

3 houses is in my top 5 though, with fe 4 at #1 and 5,6,7& 3 houses in any order

After seeing some of the samefacey designs, Gamecube graphics, and split routes similar to Fates, I was very skeptical.

This might be my favorite game in the series. Sure, it needs a Lunatic mode so that all those amazing mechanics and goodies that game have can be put to the test. However, the game took advantage of every good thing the previous games have had going for them and then their own unique mechanics like gambits.

Divine Pulses are just Mila's Turnwheel but actually useful now. It also allows for far more RNG BS on the enemy's side because now one bad streak of luck doesn't mean you have to reset so why not give all the enemies the ability to crit, right?

Weapon flexibility is amazing. Want some flying archers? Make as many as you want. Want a bootleg war cleric? Just slap an axe on a priest. So many options.

Did anyone ask for fishing, tea parties, or gardening? Probably not, but all of them are actually useful mechanics.

New Game + is just the devs telling you to have fun and break the game in every possible way. They want you to exploit all the mechanics to make whatever dumb run idea you have.

I wasn't skeptical, per se, but I was a bit unsure about how the Monastery would work and was concerned how this would work with actual war. Seemed too much of a stretch from traditional FE. But like you, the game blew me completely back. I've only completed 2 Routes and am on my BE Playthrough and I already knew after finishing Blue Lions that it was my favorite game in the series~ Dimitri's character development just totally sold me, I don't even know if I had a favorite Lord before him, but I certainly do now.

I'm in the same boat. I don't think it's my favorite, since I'm gonna need time for it to digest. I didn't end up disliking Awakening and Fates, or liking the Tellius games as much as I did until a bit after those games came out.

I didn't immediately burn out on a second play through, though, so that's a good sign.

I came in with some hope that this would be good. And I am only playing Blue Lions after beating Golden Deer.

It is in the running for my favorite in the series right now. It has my favorite cast in the series so far, music is great (as usual), and gameplay is nice enough. And I have not burnt out on this yet (I have motivation to beat all paths, of course).

And there are signs and leaks of a Lunatic difficulty (known as Maddening), so that complaint won’t have to be upheld for long.

I feel underwhelmed.  I also feel that this is my own fault, given my in-game choices.  Once I get a better grasp on how things work, I'll probably like this game more.  The characters/world-building is pretty good, most of the time.  The story gets a little cheesy in places, but I want to get through all three routes before weighing in a final verdict.

Then again, this is a first impression.  The school setting is mildly annoying (like, when does Byleth plan out their lessons?  And how did he/she get so very good at everything so quickly?).