• Lysithia
    • Flayn
    • Manuala
    • Shamir
    • Catherine
    • Hanneman
    • Cyril
    • No one ;(

My current run on Blue Lions I may have gone a little crazy with recruiting (had to kill characters I liked in my first route because they were commanders in kill the commanders maps or just waaaaay to dangerous to leave alive.... that I decided I would recruit everyone I could and not have to kill anyone next time... hope they add post game dlc cause this is too many units to train on hard mode... I could keep them all up to par in easy but... if hard mode is not exactly as challenging as I’d like I expect easy to be a cakewalk...

Anyways back on topic I made Ferdinand my dancer because he begged me to let him enter the contest to make his father proud. And wow he’s an excellent toga garbed dodger armed with a rapier + while I train his sword rank. And having him dance when I really need one of my archers to delete another enemy or need a third ally healed with physic (Sylvain is going to either be a dark knight or holy knight at this point as is Mercedes) is amazing.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note regarding Dancers: just because you make a unit into a dancer and keep them in that class for the rest of the game doesn't mean you shouldn't consider certifying them in other classes. A lot of weaker units (read: Dorothea) benefit heavily from the defensive base stat boosts provided by advanced classes even if they never actually use those classes. An Advanced Seal is often as much a cheap stat booster as a means to change classes.

Really for dancers you can just choose any weaker unit/units falling behind and call it a day, though I have tried/been told about some students that can be solid Dancers.

Bernadetta - Honestly, I found her better as a magic user than a Bow Knight (which is what most people promote her into) after using both. Anyways, she has a pretty solid spell list (Thoron, Physic, Rescue) and also has a budding talent in Riding (for the Move +1 at A+ rank, honestly I find that once a Dancer unlocks their best spells, they should just focus all their instruction days on Riding since a high move Dancer is incredibly useful) which unlocks Pass (Pass helps with Warp/LTC shenanigans since she can just run through the enemy and dance a warped target). Her magic growth is low but, I found that her personal skill + Fiendish Blow allows her to deal pretty solid damage (coupled with the occasional Indech crest procs and her Speed growth being higher than most Mages) until she becomes a Dancer, and most enemies tend to have fairly low Res anyways (excluding Mages and Pegasus Knights). Her early game as a Monk is pretty bad because Blizzard is honestly not a good spell (sacrifice hit for crit, and crit is pretty unreliable early), but once she gets Thunder she became a lot better.

Ignatz - Pretty mediocre unit overall but, that makes him a suitable Dancer candidate! His spell list is not as good as Bernadetta's (only good spells are Cutting Gale and Physic) but, he does have have a slightly higher Magic growth and a personal that helps alleviate his early game slightly. As mentioned, Blizzard is pretty bad but, Ignatz's personal skill increases the hit rate of it making his early game a lot more manageable (though he's stuck with it until he gets Fire through promotion). He also gets Seal Strength through his Reason budding talent and Rally Speed (D Authority, and Ignatz has a talent in Authority so it should be pretty quick for him to get it) which is also nice utility early on (and even has situational purposes once he becomes a Dancer). 

Marianne - She's a solid unit but, she also does make a pretty good dancer. She gets nice spells (Thoron, Cutting Gale, Physic, and maybe Silence) and has a talent in Riding as well for the +1 Move skill. I mean not much else to say other than that? Found her as a pretty solid Dancer overall, (I prefer not to recruit other units into my house as Dancers just because I like being able to raise the Riding skill from the get go), though you should probably recruit another dedicated healer (or just another Physic user) into GD if you plan on using Dancer Marianne.

On 8/21/2019 at 3:47 AM, Lunarly said:

Really for dancers you can just choose any weaker unit/units falling behind and call it a day, though I have tried/been told about some students that can be solid Dancers.

Bernadetta - Honestly, I found her better as a magic user than a Bow Knight (which is what most people promote her into) after using both. Anyways, she has a pretty solid spell list (Thoron, Physic, Rescue) and also has a budding talent in Riding (for the Move +1 at A+ rank, honestly I find that once a Dancer unlocks their best spells, they should just focus all their instruction days on Riding since a high move Dancer is incredibly useful) which unlocks Pass (Pass helps with Warp/LTC shenanigans since she can just run through the enemy and dance a warped target). Her magic growth is low but, I found that her personal skill + Fiendish Blow allows her to deal pretty solid damage (coupled with the occasional Indech crest procs and her Speed growth being higher than most Mages) until she becomes a Dancer, and most enemies tend to have fairly low Res anyways (excluding Mages and Pegasus Knights). Her early game as a Monk is pretty bad because Blizzard is honestly not a good spell (sacrifice hit for crit, and crit is pretty unreliable early), but once she gets Thunder she became a lot better.

Ignatz - Pretty mediocre unit overall but, that makes him a suitable Dancer candidate! His spell list is not as good as Bernadetta's (only good spells are Cutting Gale and Physic) but, he does have have a slightly higher Magic growth and a personal that helps alleviate his early game slightly. As mentioned, Blizzard is pretty bad but, Ignatz's personal skill increases the hit rate of it making his early game a lot more manageable (though he's stuck with it until he gets Fire through promotion). He also gets Seal Strength through his Reason budding talent and Rally Speed (D Authority, and Ignatz has a talent in Authority so it should be pretty quick for him to get it) which is also nice utility early on (and even has situational purposes once he becomes a Dancer). 

Marianne - She's a solid unit but, she also does make a pretty good dancer. She gets nice spells (Thoron, Cutting Gale, Physic, and maybe Silence) and has a talent in Riding as well for the +1 Move skill. I mean not much else to say other than that? Found her as a pretty solid Dancer overall, (I prefer not to recruit other units into my house as Dancers just because I like being able to raise the Riding skill from the get go), though you should probably recruit another dedicated healer (or just another Physic user) into GD if you plan on using Dancer Marianne.

Seems to me that Ignatz is one of the best fits for dancer. As you said, he has mediocre magic and physical offense, and will usually only deal chip damage... which is fine since you'd want your offensive powerhouses in classes that highlight their strengths (e.g. Warlock/Bishop/Gremory for magic users, and pretty much any physical class other than dancer for physical units).

He has ranged heal, nice support skills (which he'll quickly learn thanks to his innate authority boon + authority gain as a dancer) which make him altogether the kind of support unit you'd want.

Sure, units such as Dorothea or Flayn have much stronger magic offense and/or staff utility, but wouldn't you rather have them be in a purely magical class in which they would really shine rather than a supportive class like dancer?

I think Marianne makes one of the better dancers primarily because she has a proficiency in Riding and is more of a supporting unit anyways. Movement +1 at A+ Riding sounds really good on your dancer, even if it is a ways off.

Dorothea and Flayn are also great choices, but they're weak in riding, which means no movement +1 without significant force-feeding... :<

Regardless, Raphael for his 15% speed growth. I really don't see him to be useful in any other class other than an Armored Knight. (If he can become one. Not played the game yet.)

47 minutes ago, PuffPuff said:

Regardless, Raphael for his 15% speed growth. I really don't see him to be useful in any other class other than an Armored Knight. (If he can become one. Not played the game yet.)

I think if I recall Raphael can reach armored knight pretty easily as I think his strengths are in either axes , armor or might be both 

11 minutes ago, MasterSlayerX said:

I think if I recall Raphael can reach armored knight pretty easily as I think his strengths are in either axes , armor or might be both 

He's strong in both.

So, I'm gonna encourage you to double down on your decision in making Dorothea as a dancer, because I was just told about a weird but very good niche for her compared to anyone else, whether she's a dancer or not.

Train Dorothea in reason even though you don't plan on using her combat much. At least do it in tutoring, goals, maybe seminars if you're into those. When she gets Meteor at rank A, equip the tome but do NOT use it ever unless you feel you really need to, or if a dangerous enemy is in range since it weighs her down a ton. Now, Dorothea will offer a linked attack bonus to EVERYBODY fighting an enemy within her 10 range. That's +3 hit and avoid to characters with no support with her, and up to +3 MT and +10 Hit and Avoid for characters she has an A-support with. Characters that double will effectively gain 6 dmg per fight, or 12 if they quad. You'll also offer easy gambit boosts with up to +4 Mt and +20 Hit for A-supported characters.

The same can be done with Thoron in the meantime since she learns it a lot sooner (rank C), and it's 3 range which still gives a lot of flexibility in where you put her. Meteor or Thoron, this way she passively gives a lot of your team some good offense without ever having to get in a fight herself.

Since you're going Blue Lions she unfortunately offers this bonus only to Byleth, Ingrid, Sylvain, Felix, and Manuela and Hanneman if you want to use them. As opposed to ALL of the other Black Eagles and the 3 professors. But it's still worth doing this; it's a LOT of potential damage and dodging given to you.

Edited by Carreau Diamond

2 hours ago, Carreau Diamond said:

+3 MT and +10 Hit and Avoid for characters she has an A-support with.

+Mt supports are rare, and Dorothea only has one with Manuella, to my knowledge(Edit: Apparently with Hilda too). Also, assistant boosts only happen on player phase(in fact on EP enemies get their own assistant boosts, it's pretty funny), so the +10 avoid in particular is less useful than it could be.
The added accuracy+gambit boost is indeed really good regardless of that though, only things that can compare imo are characters with a strength in riding(for dancers with move +1) and authority(for easy A rank dancer battalion access on BL route, though this is arguably best left to other characters either way).

Edited by Cysx

Flayn begged for it, so... I didn't use the class at all, because she was way more useful as a support bot (Fortify is amazing and so is Rescue).

I didn't want to give it to Dorothea because I found her long-range spells useful. I wish I had given it to Lorenz instead, because he's simply a jack-of-all-trades no matter what I do. I'd have ditched him a long time ago if I didn't like him as a character and didn't find his interactions with Hilda nice.

I tried making Marianne a dancer in the run I just finished. She worked out well, no regrets. Between Sword Avoid +20 and Axebreaker, axe units pretty much couldn't hit her, and she wasn't really scared of mages due to her high res. In theory should have had decent combat with her relic/sword dance/high charm. However, I don't think she ever saw combat, aside from blicking some random armor with her relic on enemy phase once. The riding proficiency is cool, but she never did make it to A+ for that sweet movement +1, so I don't know if I would count that in her favor or not. I guess without the proficiency you are even more unlikely to reach it.

Anyways, after giving the topic much thought I think Annette is probably my vote for best dancer. She seemed really mediocre as a combat unit in my BL run, but had some really nice rallies and a strength in authority. In my experience with the game so far, rallies have been really useful early-game for hitting 1RKO benchmarks quicker to help units snowball. However as you progress into the mid-game they lose a lot of value due to the combination of being locked to a 4 move unit and generally not being needed to 1RKO things. You will also notice that if a unit is using their turns to rally, they are probably not gaining much exp.

So if you are using Annette for rally support, you should end up with an under-leveled unit with lackluster combat, a mediocre spell list, and low move (unless you make her a cav/peg for pure support). What a perfect dancer candidate! Icing on the cake is that focus on authority to get rallies is now going to help you get the required authority for the "dance of the goddess" battalions faster.

The timing works out pretty great too. Once rallybot Annette starts falling off in usefulness, the dance competition is just around the corner to make her viable again. Her combat will still suck as a dancer and she won't make great use of its sword skills, but is she ever actually going to fight anyways? Even if a dancer CAN fight, are you ever actually going to use them to kill an enemy instead of refreshing an ally?

I made Marianne a dancer and really regret it. She is a superb healer with Physic and most of the time she would  be busy healing the team. In my last playthrough I had Flayn who performed the role very well as a dancer/rescue bot.

I like Flayn for it. She has some good support spells, but without physic she can use another thing to do. Her reason spell list is not my favorite, either. So It's a good alternative to gremory. With the caduceus she has great range on top of the dancer move rate.

I tried Dorothy first, but I like her better as a gremory. Dancing is a good ability but a lot of characters just seem to keep busy without it and then it feels like a waste.

It also feels like a bad move to commit too soon, isn't stat growth kind of bad? I usually reclass after she learns fiendish blow, maybe later. Last third of the game. I guess it doesn't matter if they do nothing but dance

20 hours ago, Cysx said:

+Mt supports are rare, and Dorothea only has one with Manuella, to my knowledge(Edit: Apparently with Hilda too).

You're right, big noob mistake on my part. I had misread the Serenes Forest info on linked attacks. So, Dorothea's linked attack only gives MT to Manuela and for some reason Hilda. But yeah, definitely still worth considering the Meteor/Thoron strat. The free gambit boosts are amazing too.

I think I’m sold on making Marianne a dancer my next run. I felt like she was built for Holy Knight, but I must’ve been stat screwed since she was a far better Bishop in the part of the game before I started to really hit master classes. Her relic being a sword and utility as a healer still being there makes it fit together. 

Otherwise, I tried both Annette and Flayn as dancers and found Annette to be far superior as she has better means to defend herself. I had already recruited Lorenz and slotted him into a dark mage, and was already set on mortal savant Felix, so losing Annette as a warlock didn’t make much difference. 

On 8/27/2019 at 1:59 AM, Carreau Diamond said:

Train Dorothea in reason even though you don't plan on using her combat much. At least do it in tutoring, goals, maybe seminars if you're into those. When she gets Meteor at rank A, equip the tome but do NOT use it ever unless you feel you really need to, or if a dangerous enemy is in range since it weighs her down a ton. Now, Dorothea will offer a linked attack bonus to EVERYBODY fighting an enemy within her 10 range. That's +3 hit and avoid to characters with no support with her, and up to +3 MT and +10 Hit and Avoid for characters she has an A-support with. Characters that double will effectively gain 6 dmg per fight, or 12 if they quad. You'll also offer easy gambit boosts with up to +4 Mt and +20 Hit for A-supported characters.

I feel like this big advantage of Meteor is a reason to not make Dorothea a Dancer, because it'll mean you get two shots of Meteor and thus you can use one early and still have access to this strat thereafter. And yeah it's cool.

On the note of Dorothea's +might supports, I don't think she and Hilda can actually support anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong. That's a bit of a goof in the game if they're on the +might list.

33 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

On the note of Dorothea's +might supports, I don't think she and Hilda can actually support anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong. That's a bit of a goof in the game if they're on the +might list.

You're right, they can't. Would explain why it felt so weird.
... Maybe it's route exclusive. I can say it's not a thing on the GD route.