Jump to content
Anacybele

Why can't Death Knight be killed?

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Then why did Death Knight still critical Byleth when I tried to have her attack him at melee range rather than distant range?

That's not the right kind of different action. You're still on the same RNG seed. Have someone else hit him with a gambit or attack another enemy first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Makes sense, given how crazy loyal he is to Edelgard.

Then why did Death Knight still critical Byleth when I tried to have her attack him at melee range rather than distant range?

Think of Fire Emblem as storing a string of pre-generated RNG numbers.  Every time the game needs to roll RNG or something, it takes the next number from this set and rolls them.

Whether Byleth attacks from melee or range doesn't change this.  The game will roll for hit and crit for you, then hit and crit for his counter either way.  By "doing something else", the others mean have another unit attack a different target first, or do anything else that uses up some RNG numbers before you try again.

Also, it takes tremendous RNG screw for Lysithea to not one-shot him with spikes.  Is she underleveled, not promoted to warlock/bishop, or does she not have Fiendish Blow?  Base 17 magic from warlock + 3 class bonus + 6 Fiendish Blow + 5 Batallion + 39 Dark Spikes super effective might is a total might of 70, which should rip through his resistance pretty easily.  And that's minimum stats for warlock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do the exact same thing, you will get the exact same outcome. The RNG is predetermined in that regard.

Anyway, if your Lysithea isn't one-shotting him, you're likely not going to kill him any other way. She's either underleveled or not promoted~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The TL;DR point here is that it's not about taking a different action, but about taking a different *number* of actions before the one that is DK critting you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A better question: Why cant the Death Knight be recruited?

I wouldnt be too worried about Dark Seals, outside of Hubert, few people get that much out of it. (Lysithea would love it, but she cant...) That aside, my non-Lysithea DK kills involved using some Gambits and then finishing him off with Ingrid or Sylvain (With Knightkneeler + Relic Weapon)

Edited by Warhydra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did just reload/retry to get a critical hit from Bylith. She had 10% chance with Grounder. Lysithea with Dark Spikes should do heavy damage too. You get three Dark Seals, so one is kinda wasted anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Warhydra said:

A better question: Why cant the Death Knight be recruited?

There's a possibility it may have been cut content because he has the Mastermind skill which serves no purpose on an enemy unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are on Chapter 12 you don't need to fight him. It is a defeat the boss map. Just head straight for the boss who comes to you when you start getting close enough. There is no reason to bother with the Death Knight because you shouldn't be in that chapter long enough to need reinforcements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been wrecking his crap since the first chapter that he showed up as I had Lysithea specifically trained for it. But before I got her, I tended to send in my stupid fast units like Petra or Ingrid so he'd be less likely to hit and more likely to get crit. Gambits are also always a good idea as they're free hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Makes sense, given how crazy loyal he is to Edelgard.

Then why did Death Knight still critical Byleth when I tried to have her attack him at melee range rather than distant range?

Because position on the map does not change the RNG. 

Let's say these are the RN's and hit rates:

Byleth: Hit 100, Crit 15, only one attack.

DK: 100 Hit, 25 Crit, One attack.

the RNg spits this out(for simplicity's sake I am assuming hit rates are based on one RN, rather than two): 14, 24, 78,19,25,66,43,56, 46, 76

Byleth attacks, hit check: 100 Hit, Rn is 14. this is lower than 100, so the hit connects.

Crit check: Crit is 15, RN is 24, co Byleth does not crit.

 

DK attacks: Hit check: 78 is less than 100, so he hits.

Crit check: 19 is less than 25, he crits, killing your Byleth.

 

So this does not work. And your position on the map also does not matter. your place on the map does not change the RN's that are lined up.* (*Sidenote, in previous games such as GBA you were able to burn Rn's by using the map cursor, I do not know if 3H has this, but in any case, it is not relevant now.

 

So, you Time Pulse, and now we are going to change the sequence of events.

Let's have Hilda attack a random enemy, and the enemy will attack back, after that Hilda kills him. This will use up 6 Random numbers, for simplicity's sake just assume Hilda and the enemy hit all attacks and neither crit. their hit and crit rates are not important.

Hilda hit check: 14, Hilda crit check: 24

Enemy counter hit check: 78, crit check: 19

Hilda kills the enemy hit check: 25, crit check: 66.

 

Now Byleth is going to attack the Dk again: Same Hit and Crit rates as listed above: 100/15(Byleth) vs 100/25(DK)

Byleth hit check: 43, this is less than 100, so it hits.

Crit check: 56, so no crit, since it is higher than 15.

 

Dk counters, Hit check: 46, so he hits, 46 is less than 100.

Dk crit check: 76, Dk does not crit, since 76 is higher than 25.

 

Times pulse is used to change the order of events, and thus change the outcome of battle. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I just said she couldn't. I tried multiple times.

Perhaps you could weaken him with a Gambit or two, then have Lysithea blow him away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Anacybele said:

...Then what's the point of it existing? The idea behind Divine Pulse is to be able to revive a unit you lost and try again. If it can't actually change the outcome, it's useless.

The point is to allow you to try a different, safer strategy, not to just brute-force through levels by trying over and over until you get good RNG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe someone told me all RNG, when it comes to combat and levels, is rolled at the beginning of the month. You can jiggle it by changing the order of actions a little bit or maybe waiting a turn but there's no way to truly reroll unless you want to delete your save data.

For gambits, use Disturbance, Group Lance Attack, or Lure to inflict a 10% stat reduction. I don't think these stack, so you can be safe with just one, two if you know you're going to miss one. If you don't kill him, no sweat. Dark Mage isn't the end all be all class.That's wyvern rider.

Edited by Skell_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never said I cared much about the Dark Seal. Yeah, it'd be nice to have. But my main goal was accessing allied reinforcements. Like I've said multiple times, Death Knight is sitting on the eastern reinforcement tiles. So it's in the player's best interest to kill him so you've got more allies to help on the map.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I never said I cared much about the Dark Seal. Yeah, it'd be nice to have. But my main goal was accessing allied reinforcements. Like I've said multiple times, Death Knight is sitting on the eastern reinforcement tiles. So it's in the player's best interest to kill him so you've got more allies to help on the map.

What I did was use a Gambit to get him down low enough for Lysithea to one-shot with Dark Spikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, KnightOfNohr said:

What I did was use a Gambit to get him down low enough for Lysithea to one-shot with Dark Spikes.

Everyone's been saying to do that already, so yes, I know.

No one needs to reply with the same thing over and over, I get the idea now, thank you all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Everyone's been saying to do that already, so yes, I know.

No one needs to reply with the same thing over and over, I get the idea now, thank you all.

Ah, sorry; I didn't read most of the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Death Knight was meant to be hard to beat.

With that said... I killed him in all chapters that he appears, in Hard Mode . You just need to remove him from his special tile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as everyone already answered - - i'll just give my two cents

1: I've done 1.5 paths. I strongly, strongly suggest you start cultivating a good "Gambit" team soon. it's not just about making them not move, 
There are healing, dancing, and wall gambits that can legitimately save your bacon in the middle to end games. (and paralogues). Gambits are also needed to farm the rare minerals (Mythril, Agroathim (I think, i spelled that wrong), Umbral Steel (for the Relic Weapons), Veninstones and Wootz Steel). 

2: Cultivate a thief. you don't have to manually train them up if you don't want to, let them pass a thief exam, and then let them piggy back on someone and let that person eat up a map or two. (i've done this for several units in my BL run because i wanted Petra and Hilda to have Wrath for the next playthrough so i can just buy it w/my renown). because I have faced the Dark Knight.. 7 times? I've killed him exactly twice(i always just stole the seal). 

Once was with Lysithia with Miasma crit, and once with was Ashe with a  KIller Bow Crit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

as everyone already answered - - i'll just give my two cents

1: I've done 1.5 paths. I strongly, strongly suggest you start cultivating a good "Gambit" team soon. it's not just about making them not move, 
There are healing, dancing, and wall gambits that can legitimately save your bacon in the middle to end games. (and paralogues). Gambits are also needed to farm the rare minerals (Mythril, Agroathim (I think, i spelled that wrong), Umbral Steel (for the Relic Weapons), Veninstones and Wootz Steel). 

2: Cultivate a thief. you don't have to manually train them up if you don't want to, let them pass a thief exam, and then let them piggy back on someone and let that person eat up a map or two. (i've done this for several units in my BL run because i wanted Petra and Hilda to have Wrath for the next playthrough so i can just buy it w/my renown). because I have faced the Dark Knight.. 7 times? I've killed him exactly twice(i always just stole the seal). 

Once was with Lysithia with Miasma crit, and once with was Ashe with a  KIller Bow Crit. 

They don't want the seal, they want the one swordmaster and monk that spawns if you kill him in the (presumably?) Gareg Mach defense map. In short they're getting frustrated over nothing, because the reinforcements will die in one or two turns anyway, or be so far from an enemy you haven't already killed you won't get any use of them from this map. That said, they're fucked if they can't kill the Death Knight at this point in the game, either they got stat screwed or are severely underleveled.

 

Hey OP, what are the stats/levels and strongest equipment on your units? Give us some information so we can give you a strategy.

Edited by CyberNinja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Azure in a Roundabout said:

This thread will be valuable when the Death Knight starts moving on Maddening.

Maybe add in a little extra baiting with a fast unit that can take one hit (likely Byleth, fittingly enough).

If Dreath Knight doesn't crit, Dedue can easily tank him in the Blue Lions path

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CyberNinja said:

They don't want the seal, they want the one swordmaster and monk that spawns if you kill him in the (presumably?) Gareg Mach defense map. In short they're getting frustrated over nothing, because the reinforcements will die in one or two turns anyway, or be so far from an enemy you haven't already killed you won't get any use of them from this map. That said, they're fucked if they can't kill the Death Knight at this point in the game, either they got stat screwed or are severely underleveled.

oh. yeah that's true. this is chapter 12, "To War" right?
My Ingrid got crit'ed by death knight (so i rolled back) and tried Ashe. that's how she blows I suppose (but i mean this was the map i always beat him in)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, daisy jane said:

oh. yeah that's true. this is chapter 12, "To War" right?
My Ingrid got crit'ed by death knight (so i rolled back) and tried Ashe. that's how she blows I suppose (but i mean this was the map i always beat him in)

I just don't have enough information to work with, his second encounter is about when you should have the tools to consistently beat him barring severe bad luck/rolls. If its simply poor rolls I'd say just retreat and start the battle again, get a new set of rolls to work with. That or bunch up a lot of units around his threat range so his hit rate drops right down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To think that this thread got hot, of all threads.

6 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

If Dreath Knight doesn't crit, Dedue can easily tank him in the Blue Lions path

Yeah, that seems like something Dedue can do. Outside of Blue Lions, though, I think the strat of baiting him with Byleth whose AS is as high as it can get might be the best shot.

Because otherwise, DK is going to be very hard to avoid, thanks to having cavalry movement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...