Why can't Death Knight be killed?

1 minute ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

To think that this thread got hot, of all threads.

Yeah, that seems like something Dedue can do. Outside of Blue Lions, though, I think the strat of baiting him with Byleth whose AS is as high as it can get might be the best shot.

Because otherwise, DK is going to be very hard to avoid, thanks to having cavalry movement.

I am not sure in the Black Eagles, but I believe Raphael can also bait him in the Golden Deer... I think...

What I did in the Blue Lions path was I used a Gambit in DK, then he attacked me in the next turn, which Dedue survived. Then I retreated him to DK max mov range, and healed him with Mercedes and Annette. Sylvain also helped, because I made him a mage. DK went to Dedue again, which survived gain, and since DK wasn't in the special tile anymore it made easier to defeat him.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raphael and Dedue are practically identical stat-wise so it should be easy enough. Give him the leather shield or whatever shield you got just to make sure. 

My girl Lysithea can one shot him at the first encounter so you probably strangely wasn't lucky in her growths, was unpromoted or even didn't get Fiendish Blow from Mage if you can't as others say gambits and then her Dark Spikes has the same effect.

Besides that bait a good tank to soften him while healing them from a safe spot for someone to get the EXP 

Edited by Mage Goddess Lysithea

If your Lysithea is also one or two points shy or one shot territory there is a spirit dust in the chest to the left side of the map I believe. Ingrid and Huber also have Rally Magic with a D in authority which is easy as hell to hit before that chapter. Ingrid may also have it if you bring her in for Combat Assistance.

Tons of ways to stack magic.

When I played on my normal Golden Deer playthrough, NPC Nader wrecked him.  ._.

I also beat him on every other map he was in except the first one where you are just much too under-leveled to even stand a chance. 

Death knight is killable in his first appearance, he is totally optional every time he shows up, but he is beatable, rupture/sublime heaven is a lifesaver in these moments.

41 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Death knight is killable in his first appearance, he is totally optional every time he shows up, but he is beatable, rupture/sublime heaven is a lifesaver in these moments.

Wind sweep in later levels if you can't survive retaliation or enemy phase after.

4 hours ago, IzzyFresh said:

Gambits and any Lance user with Knightkneeler if you don't have a character with Dark Spikes. No boss in this game is really that hard, especially since you can experiment with Divine Pulse.

This.

On Blue Lions, I didn't even need to use Gambits. I OHKOed with Sylvain's Knightkneeler + Lance of Ruin. This can probably be done on any route if you just refuse to give the lance back when Rhea asks.

19 hours ago, Lysithea said:

2oVXthJ.jpg
Any questions!?

I'd already said multiple times that my Lysithea is stat screwed and not strong enough to do this. Not even close, in fact.

Someone earlier in the thread said their Lysithea was lv. 26 with 40 magic? Either yours is extremely blessed or mine is extremely screwed because mine finished chapter 12 at lv. 25 with 23 magic. 😕 In fact, she's so screwed that she leveled up three times in that map and didn't get magic on any of those instances. I recall a lot of her level ups only giving her increases in two stats.

Edited by Anacybele

My Lysithea at the end of my playthrough was lv 43 with 41 magic (2 of which came from a stat booster). She still one shot or two shot most of her opponents throughout the playthrough, but no she never one shot the Death Knight in Chapter 12 or before. I only managed the kill with several gambits getting his health low enough for her to kill with however much damage she could do with Dark Spikes

Edited by Glennstavos

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I'd already said multiple times that my Lysithea is stat screwed and not strong enough to do this. Not even close, in fact.

Someone earlier in the thread said their Lysithea was lv. 26 with 40 magic? Either yours is extremely blessed or mine is extremely screwed because mine finished chapter 12 at lv. 25 with 23 magic. 😕 In fact, she's so screwed that she leveled up three times in that map and didn't get magic on any of those instances. I recall a lot of her level ups only giving her increases in two stats.

Actually it is a bit low, but she's not totally screwed. I'd patch her up if you could get some Spirit Dust and Magic Herbs from the gardening, I actually still don't know how boost items drop from the greenhouse. In my 2 runs Lysithea was very helpful, and I wouldn't bench her by any means, and she's the main reason why I also recruit Lorenz before the timeskip happens.

4 hours ago, Garlyle said:

Actually it is a bit low, but she's not totally screwed. I'd patch her up if you could get some Spirit Dust and Magic Herbs from the gardening, I actually still don't know how boost items drop from the greenhouse. In my 2 runs Lysithea was very helpful, and I wouldn't bench her by any means, and she's the main reason why I also recruit Lorenz before the timeskip happens.

I see, good to hear then. I thought I had a really bad Lysithea for a while there.

Just now, CyberNinja said:

ch. 12, you've moved on I assume, no further issues or do you require any assistance?

Oh. Yeah, I said I finished it.

5 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Well, I take it back.

Hide contents

In Ch. 20, I had a hard time just trying to hit the bastard because of my crappy hit rate.

Is that the chapter where you take Fort Merceus?

If so, there are two big things you can do. The first is to bait him to come to you with a unit that can survive his attack. This will move him off of his +30 Avoid tile.

The second is to make use of Linked Attacks. These are not very important for taking down generic enemies, but on particularly high avoid bosses they're very nice, as they can add up to 40 hit (based on your support levels).

29 minutes ago, Silly said:

Is that the chapter where you take Fort Merceus?

If so, there are two big things you can do. The first is to bait him to come to you with a unit that can survive his attack. This will move him off of his +30 Avoid tile.

The second is to make use of Linked Attacks. These are not very important for taking down generic enemies, but on particularly high avoid bosses they're very nice, as they can add up to 40 hit (based on your support levels).

Odd, I had him run away on turn two so killing him was pretty easy.

2 minutes ago, CyberNinja said:

Odd, I had him run away on turn two so killing him was pretty easy.

I'm pretty sure there is a zone trigger that makes him start escaping. It's definitely possible to accidentally enter the zone and trigger it early on if you have some combination of flier + stride + warp.

The first time I played the map I accidentally triggered the event on turn 1, and none of my units were positioned correctly to get to him. So I just went back to the start of the map and killed him on turn 1 instead.

14 minutes ago, Silly said:

I'm pretty sure there is a zone trigger that makes him start escaping. It's definitely possible to accidentally enter the zone and trigger it early on if you have some combination of flier + stride + warp.

The first time I played the map I accidentally triggered the event on turn 1, and none of my units were positioned correctly to get to him. So I just went back to the start of the map and killed him on turn 1 instead.

I have a overwhelming desire to murder all my former students with either Byleth, my lord, or their close friends to gather up those delicious special dialogues so it turned out Casper was very much in the "fort is taken" zone.

Yay, so much Lysi-talk. 😆

This thread serves as a lesson to train her because she hits like a truck. 

I'm trying to do a solo run with her now, but she has issues with swordmasters who can double her (speaking of sidequests though). Nosferatu tanking on a forest till still might work, but it is not a guaranteed survival. Her enemy phase is by far less amazing than Asvel's, to be more precise Grafcalibur's. Overall she is the second best mage in the series for me.