Authority Instruction?

MegaGax

So, I'm curious to know how everyone handled tutoring Authority while also keeping their other weapon/mobility skills up to task, especially for the ones with a weakness in it (Caspar/Felix/Hilda, interesting that every house had at least one.)

On my first play-through I kinda just ignored it, stuck a battalion on everyone and just played through, by end-game the highest level was like a C. So on my Blue Lions play-through I'm making a conscious effort to increase it, although the balance makes me fudge up at times.

What has been your strategy so far?

I didn't unless it was very close to completion and I could rank it up for the next battle.

It was a low priority due to requirements for other classes taking precedence early game. Gotta get Lysithea Dark Spikes T before Death Knight and all. Despite all this, I had multiple units with A to A+ in Authority. If this is NG+ then just slap on battalions on everyone ASAP and you should be good to go.

I'm actually interested in this. I'm on chapter 4 now and I got Edelgard and Hubert with C in Authority from instruction. I'm thinking of instructing Ferdinand so he can have the C battalion of knights or whatever. Or should I just ignore instructing people with authority and slap battalion on everyone instead so they get trained that way instead so I can instruct other things instead?

Fliers are good to dump some training into because there's a very limited number of battalions available for them, and if all your fliers are stuck at E/D level authority, you're not going to be able to equip them all.

I’ve basically completely ignored it the whole game (Blue Lions). The only units who are using battalions right now are Byleth, Dimitri, Seteth, Sylvain, Dedue, and Mercedes. The only unit I bothered training authority in was Annette, so she could learn more rallies (but then I benched her, so...). I think Byleth and Dimitri are at A rank, Seteth and Mercedes are at B, Felix and Ashe are at E, and the rest are roughly C. I’m thinking of maybe buying a couple support battalions, like Reteibution (if that works against enemy siege spells, that’ll be fun), but I’m almost at the end of the game. So there might not be much point.

Edited by Anathaco

I started liking Authority due to the Battalion boosts (and the fact some Gambits are useful, especially the AoE ones). While my first playthrough I basically ignored it, I found the usefulness of Battalions to be pretty great, so I now even train units who are weak in Authority or who are "not supposed to use battalions" in it anyway because of the benefits.

My strat for Authority (mostly for NG+ files) is...

1. For Goals, have units have their Primary Weapon and then Authority. (Exceptions: Spellcasters and the Stride Gambit User. Spellcasters I usually focus on both Faith and Reason as magic is somewhat universal [if you can cast magic, you can cast any learned spells]. Then, Stride is available at Rank E with the Seiros Holy Monks. There's no reason to level Authority further on this unit as it will be basically nothing for them. // Also, if you are going for a Master Class, one will probably end up neglecting Authority to raise the other skills.)

2. When Exploring, do Faculty Instruction for Byleth, focusing on Authority. Byleth has an innate strength in Authority, so when he receives training, he gets 30 EXP instead of 20. Jeralt and Seteth raise Authority ranks. It is best to raise Authority early in the game so one can focus on other things later.
- Also, make sure to do Choir Practice too! I don't remember how much it gives for Authority, but it does something!

3. When Instructing, level up Authority if you have the Professor Expertise bonus. This will help raise Authority faster. A good benchmark is "B" Authority as it will allow units to use their "personalized" battalions. However, C rank is great for using leftover "lord battalions" from a previous playthrough. 'A" rank battalions can be good depending on which specific battalion one wishes to use, but is not necessary.
- If there is no Professor Expertise for Authority, then level up their strengths or whatever is desired as normal.

Edited by Sire

22 hours ago, Sire said:

I started liking Authority due to the Battalion boosts (and the fact some Gambits are useful, especially the AoE ones). While my first playthrough I basically ignored it, I found the usefulness of Battalions to be pretty great, so I now even train units who are weak in Authority or who are "not supposed to use battalions" in it anyway because of the benefits.

My strat for Authority (mostly for NG+ files) is...

1. For Goals, have units have their Primary Weapon and then Authority. (Exceptions: Spellcasters and the Stride Gambit User. Spellcasters I usually focus on both Faith and Reason as magic is somewhat universal [if you can cast magic, you can cast any learned spells]. Then, Stride is available at Rank E with the Seiros Holy Monks. There's no reason to level Authority further on this unit as it will be basically nothing for them. // Also, if you are going for a Master Class, one will probably end up neglecting Authority to raise the other skills.)

2. When Exploring, do Faculty Instruction for Byleth, focusing on Authority. Byleth has an innate strength in Authority, so when he receives training, he gets 30 EXP instead of 20. Jeralt and Seteth raise Authority ranks. It is best to raise Authority early in the game so one can focus on other things later.
- Also, make sure to do Choir Practice too! I don't remember how much it gives for Authority, but it does something!

3. When Instructing, level up Authority if you have the Professor Expertise bonus. This will help raise Authority faster. A good benchmark is "B" Authority as it will allow units to use their "personalized" battalions. However, C rank is great for using leftover "lord battalions" from a previous playthrough. 'A" rank battalions can be good depending on which specific battalion one wishes to use, but is not necessary.
- If there is no Professor Expertise for Authority, then level up their strengths or whatever is desired as normal.

I differed slightly on this.

1. For Goals I had them on whatever they will need to get their desired classes. Though casters that aren't going Gremory will not switch into riding until they have unlocked a few spells from the opposite school of magic.  On first playthrough, there is no need to set Authority as a Goal, while also instructing, as doing so will raise the skill faster then you will get higher rank battalions to equip.
-Note: there are 3 different Battalions that have stride E,D,B.  The E version has bad stats so it is best to get a higher rank one.  The B rank one has the best overall stats if avoid is a primary concern.

2. I focused Byleth's training on
    1. Authority
    2. Heavy Armor (C) / Weight -3
    3. Axe (C) / Brigand Class - Death Blow
    4. Preferred Weapon
This was to maximize the ability to instruct with the +2 Professor Expertise.

3. For Instructing it is much the same. Focus first on Authority whenever I have Expertise, followed by Heavy Armor and Axe to get C for getting those 2 abilities on those that want/need them. Then fallback on whatever the unit needs preferring anything that has expertise.