What's the point of those super weak battalions?

Multiple quests in the game give you access to weak battalions like "Kingdom Youths" or "Bandits". Is there something I'm missing about these? They're incredibly weak and generally outclassed by other battalions at the same rank. And you keep getting these battalions well into the game, when none of your characters would be using E-rank battalions in the first place.

Is there something more to this or are they just useless battalions?

Its an alternative to buying weak units, basically the game wants you to equip everyone except Felix with a battalion, so if you neglect authority on a good chunk of your characters then these are better options for weaklings if you're not willing to hire.

In the last chapter, if you have all your bandits at level 5, they turn into Reformed Bandits with insane stats. 

Nah I'm kidding, they suck. Maybe they are supposed to be the equivalent of joke weapons? They let you play out a certain fantasy of a Brigand+Bandits/commoners only playthrough I guess. 

You can dismiss them for easy money, or because most of them have low health, I suppose you could use them on characters with battalion skill builds. (Battalion Wrath, Battalion Vantage, est.)

I've never ran any of those builds, seemed kinda fun but too gimmicky, and so I always just dismissed them for some spending money.

2 hours ago, Wolfen09 said:

Its an alternative to buying weak units, basically the game wants you to equip everyone except Felix with a battalion, so if you neglect authority on a good chunk of your characters then these are better options for weaklings if you're not willing to hire.

Don't fall for that like I did. Battalions start doing more damage than his personal relatively quickly, on top of providing other stat boosts. There is literally no unit in this game that doesn't want to equip battalions so make sure to train everyone in authority.

38 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

Don't fall for that like I did. Battalions start doing more damage than his personal relatively quickly, on top of providing other stat boosts. There is literally no unit in this game that doesn't want to equip battalions so make sure to train everyone in authority.

Yeah, even a D level battlalion gives +4 attack and some defense. Better than his personal. Even among E levels, Jeralt's Mercs give 10 crit and 15 avoid I think.

His personal is really good only very early game when you can't even use D level battalions yet.

I fell for the Felix trap. I didn't realize some battalions could reach up to 7 attack while still providing stats in other places.

I still think it's not too bad though because raising authority on most is a pain (especially Felix who has a weakness in it) when no class besides lord requires it so I find myself ignoring it in favor of other skills.

Battalion Vantage is fun.  Vantage itself is a bit underrated as a skill, but it's true that you can't just slap it onto someone randomly and expect it todo things.

The Merchant Mercenaries have a use, though, due to their poison gambit having a massive hitbox.  All gambits inflict desperation, and your access to huge AoE gambits are limited when you get them, so they are definitely helpful.

7 hours ago, wonchwonch said:

In the last chapter, if you have all your bandits at level 5, they turn into Reformed Bandits with insane stats.

You know, I almost believed that.  Probably because I never use bandits, lmao.

Anyway, the cheap battalions, I've found, are good to give units like Felix or Caspar quick and easy battalions so that they can use gambits for utility purposes.  Even garbage-tier battalions are still good for defeating demonic beasts, repositioning enemies, and keeping strong enemies from moving around.  They're not so great for dealing damage, though.

If I had to guess...
Quick Battalion Wrath/Vantage/Desperation/Renewal setup.
Their low HP means they're gonna go down to 1/3rd HP quick.
Keep them there by not replenishing their numbers at the Battalion Guild, and you can do some weird things.

I'd prefer sending stronger battalions to 1/3rd HP though. Maybe if they died off permanently...

Edit: Oh, while I'm at it, fun fact: Dimitri is the only character with both Battalion Wrath and Battalion Vantage.
It's something I've been meaning to try out when his Authority hits A.

Edited by Technoweirdo