What gameplay elements should be kept/abandoned moving forward from here?

Jotari

I just remembered one that drives me up the wall. I can't stand how mounted units are pushed as being objectively better in so many ways. Mounted units were always really powerful/useful with the flaw of having vulnerability to special weapons like bows for flyers, horseslayers for cavalry, etc. But in this game you can literally fly your pega knights over a ravine with a squad of archers on the other side, dismount, take out a specific target, and survive all of them on enemy phase. You can then mount and fly away next turn.

It feels really cheap how dismounting basically has no drawback at all. It reminds me of Battlefield games where a tank driver can just get out with his anti air missile when a chopper attacks him. It completely upsets the rock, paper, scissors style balance. I think dismounting can be a thing, but there should be a good reason for it, such as it being required to go indoors.

Edited by Natsu_T

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Battalions are an interesting theory.  In practice, the only time I've used them are to break monster shields.  If I need someone to Stay Put, I hack out Encloser.

Speaking of monsters, it's another interesting concept that needs a bit more tuning.  I don't mind the damage reduction for shields, but I do mind flat-out immunities.

I'd rather have a menu-based base than a monastery.  My sense of direction sucks, and hunting down someone isn't very fun.

Divine Pulse was helpful on early maps, because my first monster hunt was that stupid wolf that gives itself +50 crit.  Had to figure out how to weaken it without dying. . .fun times.  Was also helpful on a later map, where I used it to completely reset the map.  I think the number of uses should go down as the selected difficulty goes up.

Absolutely love the magic system.  Don't feel like I need to save the Warp staff for endgame shenanigans.  Which in turn has made my Faith users all the better.  Kinda wish there were a few more options to use magic, so that Byleth isn't stuck in their unique class the entire game.

Reserving judgment on Byleth until I get through all the routes.

Mechanics I Liked

• Silent Protagonist - Byleth is cool, he isn't annoying like Corrin and Kris where it feels like they are forcing their way into everything (the writing in FE12 honestly feels like they replaced any text that says "Marth did x/y/z" with "Kris did x/y/z"). Byleth still has a lot of impact but at least they aren't an input hoe like Corrin or Kris.
  • Durability System - Pretty fair way to deal with durability, still having the "permanent" weapons but it isn't the monstrosity of Fates where there were drawbacks to every single weapon which was kind of annoying.
  • Battalions - Wish they were more impactful out of Gambits but, I do quite like the mechanic.

Mechanics I Didn't Like / Wish They Were Tweaked Slightly

• Divine Pulse - Getting over 10 charges of Divine Pulse is pretty ridiculous honestly. Divine Pulse drastically reduces the difficulty and the "risk vs. reward" aspect of the game due to the amount of 2nd chances you get. For example, in older FE's without Divine Pulse you really have to weigh out your options carefully (for example, your unit risked dying if you miss the 70% hit but, they will end up getting exp to level up, which is a gamble I will not do in older games but will 100% do in this game), and just having all of these 2nd chances makes players be a lot more reckless. Honestly, I think Divine Pulse should've been reduced to 3 charges, and just stayed at 3 throughout the entire game. Honestly, I feel like I've used Divine Pulse to rig crits/dodges or turn back bad level ups than like the actual intended purpose lol.
  • Class Progression - Very awkward for certain classes since there are just a lot of classes missing for a smoother progression. For example, FalconKnights have an awkward transition since you either have to stay a Pegasus Knight until 30, or go to Wyvern Rider / Paladin / Swordmaster which is still a very awkward transition. Dark Knight also faces the same awkward progression since there aren't any Riding classes for mages before Master Classes.
  • Class Balancing - Likewise, there aren't too many risks vs. rewards  for certain classes which makes class balance quite skewed. Wyvern Lords being one of the biggest ones  because normally, Wyvern Lords focus on Str/Def/Hp (as opposed to FalconKnights that focus on Spd/Res/Lck), but in this game Wyvern Lords still have access to a lot of speed (boosted Speed growth and bases) and Avoid (all fliers have access to Alert Stance+) which doesn't give too much incentive to go to FalconKnight unless the unit has a weakness in Axes. Likewise Great Knights also face similar problems on the flipside because they don't have anything going for them (they lose terrain resistance in exchange for 2 faire skills). However, due to the steep requirements of a Great Knight, it's unlikely that the unit will have high proficiency in both Lances and Axes.
  • Weapon Proficiency - Certain classes get increased proficiency on certain weapons/skills (Assassin gets increased proficiency in Bows and Swords, so it makes leveling those skills easier), likewise I think classes should get decreased proficiency on other weapons to sort of balance them out? (Idk how to describe it)
  • Monastery -  Loved the Monastery pre-timeskip since it makes sense since the plot is still very school-centric. However, post-timeskip it feels like a drag and it honestly doesn't make much story sense (oh we have a war going on but let's still have classes for an entire month before we move out).
Edited by Lunarly

KEEP

NG+: The ability to truly break the game after your first go around is a great idea for repeat playthroughs. It felt refreshing knowing that the game isn't trying to lock players down and force them down the same road. Knowing all that hard work in the first run paid off also encourages making your own little 3H career as you restore the statues and can cozily spend the early game drinking tea and getting abilities you shouldn't have at your level because of renown.

Weapon Availability: Having a ton of flexibility with how you equip your army gives you even more options for how you approach the game's challenges as well as encouraging off-beat strategies.

Recruitment Cut-Off: Knowing that the clock is ticking the whole time forces the player is actually make choices. Only got until until the skip to recruit anyone so no time to waste. Keeps you busy with things that aren't just training and stats.

Divine Pulse: Knowing that you have X amount of fuckups allows the game is actually experiment with crits and encourage riskier strategies. Having lots of enemies that can crit at any time is horrible if you always have to soft reset if someone dies. Here, you can keep the resets to a minimum. Bad RNG shouldn't ruin a good strategy after all.

Dumb Gimmicky Garbage: No one asked for fishing, gardening, or anything like that. They all ended up being nice random content.

REMOVE

Huge Confusing Hub: I like the hub for the most part but it's just too big for the minor things you might want to do. Hunting down faculty for training takes too long for 10 seconds of training. Long hallways like the dorms don't help.

Boring Weapon Skills: Being better with weapons you have a higher rank with shouldn't take up a slot you could use for actually interesting skills that can change up your strategy. Skills are supposed to help your units stick out, not just be better.

Oh right I also forgot the most important part:

- Keep the hubworld. It doesnt need to be a monastery, it can change over the game etc etc. But having a place were all your units hang out (+NPC), were you can run around and do side stuff really puts some variety inside the game outside of Battlemaps after Battlemaps after Battlemaps.

- Character focussed side quest/events: With events I means stuff like the fishing tournament for Flyn. Helps fleshing out the characters you fight with.

- Tea time: Ok this will probably not return and that is ok, but I want a similiar system in the next game. In previous FE (only played RD and PoR), most of the units were not much more than their class to me, sure I have watched their backstory and support but at the end whenever I thought about them it was merly their positioning in a fight to max their efficience. In 3H Houses however that small side activity forces me to think about them as persons instead of just units - what they would like or dislike and so on. Which makes them for me at least much more interesting. So I want a something that does that again in the next game, doesnt need to be tea time but something that fits the same purpose.

I really love that any weapon can pretty much be used by any class. I do miss flying mages and healers, like the Falcon Knights and Dark Falcons from Awakening/Fates, but it was nice to give them swords again like they had in the GBA era. And it's also pretty cool to have flying bow-users. I love the addition of gauntlets as well, it's definitely one of my favorite weapons to use, although not many of my units are actually proficient in gauntlets.

One thing that I thought was a bit silly were some of the gender-exclusive classes, specifically females not being able to access Dark Mage and Dark Bishop. I know that in the past, Brigand/Warrior were male-exclusive and Pegasus/Falcon Knight were female-exclusive, but Dark Mages? I really wanted to make Lysithea a Dark Bishop, but I guess Gremory is cool too. And that's another thing. Why is Gremory female-exclusive???

I didn't like that weight and weapon durability were brought back, but that's just because I liked how Fates played. And lastly, I hope that the weapon triangle comes back; I actually really liked that mechanic.

Keep

• Batallions
    • Monster battles, but like, combine these mechanics with the concept of fighting a batallion of enemies.
  • Setting goals for units, since setting attainable goals is standard for any training regimen and our units have been practicing between battles long before they were rebranded as students.
  • Everything borrowed from Echoes: Combat Arts, Magic, class base stats, Turnwheel

Drop

• Meaningless dialogue options. If the main character has to say something, don't give us two identical choices, just have them say it without our input.
    • Avatars who are mute and can't be customized anyway
  • Monastery busywork. I want to hang out with my units, but I don't want hours of fishing and managing motivation getting in the way of actual gameplay.
  • Adjutants
  • Route splits less than 3% of the way into a game that change everything.
Edited by Glennstavos

Things that should stay

• Battalions and Gambits: They need to be improved obviously but they can work.
  • Magic system and Combat Arts: This one's a no brainer. The age of usable Tomes and RNG skills is gone, good.
  • Divine Pulse: See, so here's the thing. People say that it "reduces the risk" of the game but the way i see it, Divine Pulse is basically a checkpoint. If i'm 20 minutes into a map and i fuck up, i'd rather rewind a turn than start all over. It's why, whenever i emulate the old games, i used save states. FE4 lets you save at the start of every turn with five save files which arguably lets you keep going back to it until you get right but i don't see anyone complaining about how that "reduces the risk". 
  • Flexible Classes: I far prefer this to the strict class lines given to units in other games.

Things that should go away

• Monster Battles: Cool concept executed poorly. The first time was cool. Every other map that has them has like five monsters and it just gets tedious having to fight them.
  • RNG on whether or not you get to class change: Yeah, get rid of it. I guess it makes sense for the school aspect but nah, if i'm at the promotion level, let me promote.

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

As far as things Three Houses has established as a pattern and made a standard for the series, I think something like Mila's Turnwheel/Time Pulses will be in all games henceforth.

Awakening and Fates both had Pair Up, but that didn't make it a "series standard" did it? Therefore, there's no reason to suggest that the Turnwheel will necessarily be in all games going forward. Also, the supposedly "series standard" Weapon Triangle hasn't featured in either Echoes or Three Houses.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

51 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Awakening and Fates both had Pair Up, but that didn't make it a "series standard" did it? Therefore, there's no reason to suggest that the Turnwheel will necessarily be in all games going forward. Also, the supposedly "series standard" Weapon Triangle hasn't featured in either Echoes or Three Houses.

I think that the idea of being able to turn back time is going to be a permanent addition to the franchise. It gives them an insane amount of freedom when it comes to how they can RNG-screw a player without feeling bad about it. High crit-rates? Why not? Ambushes from nowhere? Absolutely! Giving the player low accuracy weapons and gambits? Of course!

Lunatic will likely be absolutely cruel but IS will have no qualms about making it that way because they'll always know you can turn back the clock if RNG just isn't in your favor.

I would really hope it's not balanced around that. Currently on hard mode you can quite easily succeed without ever taking a risk on a crit chance, i.e., there's always some way to circumvent an enemy with crit higher than your best unit's crit avoid to my knowledge.

I really want lunatic to just be hard mode with a bunch of personal skill/abilities on most enemies like how it was in Conquest, and for the amount of divine pulse charges to be drastically reduced.

I really like the Magic system, which is a bit similar to Echoes, and hope we keep it going forward.

I'm not a fan of removing the weapon triangle, since it takes away a layer of strategy and makes Swords, Lances, and Axes all seem pretty samey.

I'm also not a fan of the pretty limited map deployment limit.  You seldom get to take more than 10, with a dozen seeming to be the max you ever get.  Compared to Fates where you got 16 on the last map and Echoes, were it was like over 20, if I remember correctly, it feels very restrictive and limits your ability to play around with different team compositions.

We're still getting more DLC and the insane stat caps suggest that grinding will be a thing, but giving some sort of post game would be nice.

13 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Flexible class systems should be kept if it makes sense in the narrative; I fear it will become a Children 2.0 where they keep it in the next game but it makes a lot less sense in the narrative; but if they find a unique way of implementing it again I'd love to see it return.

Curious on this. How would flexible class systems not make sense? Narratively, it should have been in all games. Weapon restrictions don't make sense, neither do linear class systems in the real world/historically. You don't see knights only knowing how to fight with a lance. They could pick up a dagger or sword too. 

But flexible class/weapon systems should always be a staple moving forward. Also keep the weapon triangle gone. I also really enjoyed how magic is "inherent" like it was in SoV versus just Tomes. But that can go either way, I just prefer when magic is inherent, so I would like if they kept that, but maybe just increased the uses by 2-5. Speaking of being inherent, I liked the concept of people having weapons they were better at and things they were weaker at. That feels very realistic and I appreciate that realism. Also give us a FLYING MAGIC USER. Otherwise the Master Classes literally had everything filled with the ability to use any weapon.

I LOVE exploration, so something like the monastery would be great, but I don't necessarily want a SCHOOL setting again. But I liked having a base and things to do. My only complaint is I think in some of the other routes, we should have NOT gone back to the Monastery and instead it was like a traveling hub/camp/army. I think it would have served better, but that's a minor thing.

Personally I just think the avatar needs to be abandoned. Like Byleth was way better than Corrin, but I much prefer a Robin like character. Just give us a tactician character, that leads the army that maybe we can customize a little more than the other characters, but make them their own fully realized character and less important to the plot than Byleth/Corrin/Robin was. Basically Mark, but as a playable unit.

Also the NONE romantic A supports, PLEASE need to stay. I loved the friendships that were developed and the hint of romance at some of them without being fully supportable. I was worried about at first since I loved pairing units in Awakening, but I actually think the supports were so much better for not having S supports, which I liked.

Also I do like Divine Pulse, though I worry that they'll find more and more convoluted ways to keep it in, but I do want them to keep it in. Even if it's a throwaway explanation, I actually wouldn't mind.

Battalions I like. I didn't use them as the game went on, but I love the concept, and I loved Annette talking about how leading her force out on the battlefield worried her, and how she had soldiers under her die and I was thinking, "YES! Your battalion you took all the damage and they died." So it just really tied it together for me.

But Gender-Locked classes can go die a fiery death.

Reused maps are understandable up to a point. But then it just became really annoying.

Oh, right.

Spoiler

The game was nice enough to ask me who I wanted to marry (since my goal was for Byleth to stay single).  This needs to stay.

3 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Three Houses has had Adjutants which is a type of pair up. And the weapon triangle being dropped for a game (or two counting Echoes which droppe dit as a remake) doesn't mean it's not series standard. Something can be series standard without being in every game. It's just means it's in most of them. Skills I'd say are a feature that are a series standard yet they weren't in the first two GBA games. Maybe I'm wrong and some kind of turn reversing mechanic will be completely abandoned after these two entries, but I don't really expect that to be the case.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Oh, right.

Reveal hidden contents

The game was nice enough to ask me who I wanted to marry (since my goal was for Byleth to stay single).  This needs to stay.

Forgive the double post. Serenes being Serenes on me.

Spoiler

Aside from Genealogy where supports are automatic (and fixed for the lord of Gen 1), no game forces you to marry anyone. Well I guess Marth will automatically marry Shiida unless you kill her, but still, the option to marry has always been a conscious choice to go for the A/S Rank support.

I feel like this hasn't been mention enough but Gambits/Battalions really do change the gameplay a lot.

First, it balances the huge problem I had with player and enemy phases. Now it is some what balances(still more tweaking needed)

Assuming lunatic will include more enemies that have Battalions, it will make the higher difficulties more fun since it isn't just everybody has higher stats like some games. This could also make some interesting boss fights potentially and makes restore actually useful lol. 

Also, can I point out how Battalions actually make it feel like this is a war. It made the game more realistic to me at least.

Additionally, adjutants also balances out the pair up mechanic from awakening/fate and kinda of gives players an exp share from Pokemon. So the high investment units won't be as hard to invest as they used to since some people might just want to use said character. 

I do wish shield can be relevant. I never used the shield adjutants since there's not many units have it and later none.

I really hope they keep these two mechanics.

34 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Forgive the double post. Serenes being Serenes on me.

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, that's Serenes.

Spoiler

No, I don't want to reload a save just to NOT marry someone.  By giving a prompt beforehand, it allows me to view the supports without having to commit, and I like that!

The problem whit an unrestricted class system, is that it became everything that matter in a game that have it. Unless the balance is PERFECT there will always be several way to pick up a devastating combo of skills that trivialize the game. It's no surprise that FFT had flexible classes and FFTA had to indroduce a race system to limit the accessibility of classes. The same is true if you allow every weapon on everyone. Why ever using a weapon that is not the best one, benching people that have disadvantage in the best weapon? Sure they could balance weapons, but did they managed it at least once in 16 games?

5 hours ago, Kiran_ said:

Also the NONE romantic A supports, PLEASE need to stay. I loved the friendships that were developed and the hint of romance at some of them without being fully supportable. I was worried about at first since I loved pairing units in Awakening, but I actually think the supports were so much better for not having S supports, which I liked.

Eh, imo it makes some of them extremely awkward. Especially when you see two A supports in a row and the same character declares love to 2 people. If they make it more subtle it could work, but idk, I'd still rather have it at S (or make it so romantic A is another thing and is mutually exclusive with other romantic A). Or just have romance exclusively in the ending.

That said, wheter they make romance happen at A or S, paired endings need to be established by the player, having to work around hidden support points is just stupid. And it's not like we're not playing God in the rest of the game, controlling people and seeing what the enemies do.

Edited by timon

-I don't want Battalions to come back. I didn't really use them to their full potential (only used E/D battalions except for the lord's one) and never used any Gambit after the first beast encounter.

What I know though is that as someone playing with combat animation "ON" it is extremely frustrating to see those stupid Enemies spamming their Gambit with shit Accuracy and shit damage and not being able to retaliate. I roll my eyes each time I see one being used. It's a bore.

-The class system if it comes back like that needs a lot of balancing on about everything around it (skill/growth/bonuses, etc...) and I don't really like all the weapon being available for almost every class.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:04 AM, Jotari said:

Curiously Three Houses has abandoned one of the most recognizable staples of the series in the form of the weapon triangle. I'm guessing that's just a one time thing though. Heroes is going strong with weapon triangle as a huge focus of its game design.

That depends. The director of Three Houses said they don't make the games with the weapon triangle in mind. If it fits, they'll put it in, but won't force it.

They didn't include it in Three Houses because it interfered with the freedom they wanted in the game. If they want that sense of freedom to continue, then the chances of it coming back are low.

9 hours ago, eclipse said:

Yeah, that's Serenes.

Hide contents

No, I don't want to reload a save just to NOT marry someone.  By giving a prompt beforehand, it allows me to view the supports without having to commit, and I like that!

Spoiler

Hmm. Yeah, but then what's the difference between not seeing those supports and not seeing the marriage confession scenes? It's basically the same as Awakening/Fates only the S support is left until the end of the game (and worse still, as far as I can recall, you can't save and reload to see all the scenes without doing the final chapter again).

I think it's safe to say Three Houses made some risky and ambitious changes to the formula, and not all of them feel as integrated as others. Having said that I'd like the majority of them to stay, with some modifications to make them feel more seamless --

Battalions and Gambits: Awesome idea, makes the battles feel larger and more similar to how I've had to justify single units destroying armies in my head -- that they're representative of the forces they're leading, not just individuals. I think they could do them better going forward by allowing customization to them like how you can forge weapons, not restricting their ability to be assigned to Authority, but their effectiveness and usage amounts. If I'm S rank at Authority I should get more than 1 use of my Gambit, dangit. But please, IS, give me a Grandmaster-style class from Awakening who specializes in commanding gambits, make it a whole new thing -- it would be so FLAVORFUL. There's tons of potential and you can move it in a lot of different directions, they merely tipped their toe into it for this game.

Significantly reduced weapon limitations on classes: Good. Never made a lick of sense how they restricted them previously! Aerial units would use bows, their advantage is distance from the ground, why would they use melee weapons? But nope can only use spears in most of the game. Keep this going forward 100%. Having said that, it's important to acknowledge that there's a trade-off of unit uniqueness from making classes/weapons more flexible. Characters feel much less like they have a specific role or part to play mechanically -- they've tried to bridge that gap with the unique abilities and crest systems, but I think if they move forward with this they should do a bit more to compensate for this downside.

Weapon level determining promotion: I like the idea, I wouldn't mind it being changed, though. I think the big thing is the Authority/Armor/Riding/Flying ones work for me, but the others don't as much. Keep with some moderate modification and when it makes sense within the narrative context, otherwise no real need to keep it.

Gauntlets as a weapon type: I think it's a cool way to make infantry more valuable compared to mounted units that didn't quite accomplish it's objective. It's absolutely a difficult task to do that, though. I'd like to see it more going forward, but I think it had an adverse effect in two ways -- it devalued other weapon types (barring magic) for infantry and the gender restiction on classes that specialized in it made availability meh. As a result my only female infantry were Gremories -- anyone else could go Pegasus -> Wyvern or Paladin -> Bow Knight so why bother with Swordmasters or Heroes?

Durability as a the resource for combat arts: I liked this, but I think it could be made more interesting. Unique access to some of these and inherent abilities/crests are some of the only distinguishing features of characters that aren't numeric. We need more of those things, tbh. Would've liked to have seen more variety of them.

Legendary weapons being usable by anyone but having additional affects when used with their prf users: I like this for two reasons -- One, it makes them more practical to use overall and two, you can potentially make use of the ten health hit for non-crest bearers for certain abilities (like bringing back Wrath/Resolve) at a risk.

Paralogues being side character focused (kind of really surprising the series took so long to do this. Really wish they'd thought of it in Shadow Dragon): Yes please. Make me care about my armies, make me actively want to recruit them beyond guilt tripping me with their death animations.

Giant enemies: I like them and how they're implemented for the most part... I think that you run into three problems with their implementation rather than their concept -- they're too common, especially after the timeskip, defeating them can be tedious because gambit usages are so restricted, especially on the higher tiered ones, and they're the only way to farm some of the rarer materials to repair/forge stronger weapons like Braves. 

Tomeless Magic regenerating each map: Maybe it's the DnD player in me, but honestly this magic system is SO much better than breakable tomes to me. Makes magic feel like an altogether different thing than weapons, make more sense of how magic users can somehow use magic in narrative ways without breaking tomes, makes more sense than a book just falling apart from over...reading it? It also makes you less hesitant to use things like Warp/Rescue even when you should. I like it a lot. I don't like how much they restricted it's usage in terms of classes, though -- why can't a Swordmaster use Reason if a Mortal Savant can. There's no physical property that makes that difference, it's handwaved in a silly way to me. you could argue why Flying units and Armored units can't, I suppose (Focusing on keeping balance during flight makes it difficult to concentrate on casting and the metal restricts access to the magic in the surrounding air are pretty basic, but acceptable excuses to restrict it for those classes), but for others it's a tad arbitrary and silly when they made such great choices regarding weapon availability.

Just my thoughts.

Keep:

• Enemy aggression indication. Saves a lot of hassle of figuring out who is going to be targeted in the enemy phase.
  • New game + bonuses. Good way of experimenting in new playthroughts. 
  • Combat arts requiring durability.
  • Skills/ combats arts gained on weapon levels.
  • Battallions make the battles feel bigger while giving stat modifiers. 
  • Paralouges being focused on side characters
  • Flexible class/weapon systems. I can have bow fliers and archers that can whip out that lance up close.

Tweak:

• Gambits. 70% of the time they are used to break monsters barriers while the other 30% is for a tough situation. Felt they can been used more. 
  • Class system and balancing. While the class system is interesting it is also leg-holed into the same roles. Most of the mastery classes are mounted leaving foot solders in the dust. Wyven riders are too strong for their own good compared to other classes. 
  • Adjutants are odd. They were supposed to be attack boosters yet attacked little in my sessions. Majority of the time I used them are a exp sponge for my top units. 
  • Giant enemies. I love the  idea of powerful foes to fight. But disliked how most encounters when the same way. Gambit, attack, rinse repeat.
  • Monastery while nice in practice needs to be faster to move around.

Go away:

• Busywork things such as lost items and gifting are too time consuming with little again.
  • Heavy repeating of maps. After completing two routes (Blue Lions and chuch) I have seen certain maps about 5 times.
  • Silent avatar like Byleth. For me he is uninspired in game with well written colorful characters. Having zero likes or interesting other than his students. That want made the church dull in compassion to the BL.
  • Abusing maps with moves such as strife and multidance.