Post-timeskip spoilers on Black Eagle's route, beware.

Hanes

[Spoilery spoilers] I was playing the first map in the Black Eagle's post-timeskip and I encountered Ignatz and Leonie as you do eventually, I gave it not much thought but upon killling Ignatz I felt sad, but kept playing and then killed Leonie too for "completionness'" sake. At the end of the chapter Edelgard states that if the remaining units surrender they will be spared and me, quite sad by the death of those even though I didn't hesitate to do so, saved in another slot and beat the chapter in 2 turns this time and so Leonie doesn't appear in time. After beating the map Ignatz and Leonie possibly were spared but I didn't find them in the monastery either, in fact they weren't mentioned at all and I found it a bit weird that Byleth never shows any type of remorse for killing them. And so, thus far, I have no reason for not killing the other students aside from personal remorse and a possible bad ending that if true I am yet unaware of.

My qestion is: Can you recruit these characters you spare in perhaps a later map or will you just have to fight them again? If the former is true then does the fact that I didn't let Leonie show up on the map prohibit my possibility of recruiting her later on?

(BTW I'm enjoying FETH thus far, I hope they make a sequel to this world but maybe focused on Dagda or Almyra a few hundred years later?)

Edited by This boi uses Nino

No, students are only recruitable before the timeskip. Afterwards, killing them or sparing them, doesn't do anything at all. Only one character per path (Golden Deer: Ashe ; Blue Lion: Lorenz ; Black Eagle : Lysithea) can be recruited (there is a choice, you can spare or kill them) with no conditions, keep in mind that if you recruited any of these 3 before the time skip, they'll still leave to be recruited later. 

Edited by Metakirby

Need to recruit them before the timeskip in order to be given the option to spare/have them join you when you attempt to murder them later, I think. Got mad when I had to kill Lorenz because I couldn't avoid him and didn't recruit him earlier on BL.

14 minutes ago, Metakirby said:

No, students are only recruitable before the timeskip. Afterwards, killing them or sparing them, doesn't do anything at all. Only one character per path (Golden Deer: Ashe ; Blue Lion: Lorenz ; Black Eagle : Lysithea) can be recruited (there is a choice, you can spare or kill them) with no conditions, keep in mind that if you recruited any of these 3 before the time skip, they'll still leave to be recruited later. 

5 minutes ago, Crysta said:

Need to recruit them before the timeskip in order to be given the option to spare/have them join you when you attempt to murder them later, I think. Got mad when I had to kill Lorenz because I couldn't avoid him and didn't recruit him earlier on BL.

Hmm I see, but you two are giving me more questions combined... @Crysta Have you checked if this is true so far? and @Metakirby does that choice come after or during the battle after initiating combat with said unit?

I think people are confused about sparing, but I didn't get the opportunity with Lorenz even with using Byleth. I got the opportunity with Ashe on GD because I -did- recruit him earlier.

2 minutes ago, Crysta said:

I think people are confused about sparing, but I didn't get the opportunity with Lorenz even with using Byleth. I got the opportunity with Ashe on GD because I -did- recruit him earlier.

Hmm I see, so me, as a BE route player can't recruit Lysithea because I never recruited her before then, right?

As far as I'm aware, Lysithea is the only unit which you don't have to recruit to spare. You do have to beat her with Byleth though (possibly Edelgard as well).I tried beating Ashe with Byleth in GD because I thought I could spare him, but he just died. On the church route, I recruited him pre-skip. On that route, I did get the spare option.

Edited by LegendOfLoog

Maybe. I'm not sure about that case, mostly because it seems she might have a story reason to swap sides. I would definitely have Byleth be the one to interact with her in case she -is- one of the few options you can spare without any prior recruitment, though.

EDIT: Loog got there before me lol

Edited by Crysta

Each house seems to have one non-house member that you can spare, and who will then recruit themselves post-timeskip. . .assuming that Byleth (or maybe the house leader) is the one that gives the killing blow.  And they are. . .

Spoiler

Black Eagles - Lystheia (or however her name is spelled)
Blue Lions - Lorenz
Golden Deer - Ashe

For the Black Eagles, if you wind up fighting

Spoiler

Flayn after the time skip

and use Byleth to deal the finishing blow

Spoiler

she'll retreat, and Seteth will follow once you defeat him.  Killing Flayn with anyone else, or killing Seteth first will cause both of them to die.  It's a flavor thing, since you never see them again.  Kinda like Claude.

The details are still fuzzy - might have to do with whether or not you fulfilled their recruitment requirements (as in, if this were the monastery, and you used recruit, would they join).  Can confirm that the Black Eagles one worked as intended.

3 hours ago, Metakirby said:

Don't know about the others, but on my Black Eagles run Lysithea never left my team.

7 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Same.

I think Lysithea is a special case?

I think so; she has special interactions if you recruit her as a enemy.

Edited by Troykv

On sparing:

- Not killing characters by just avoiding them doesn't matter at all, the game just ignores it.

- On the other hand sometimes dealing the killing blow with Byleth (and in some cases your lord) gives you an option to spare. The game does acknowledge that, but it's just some different/extra dialogue.

On recruiting:

- If you want someone, you have to get them in school

- The people you recruit will be with you after the timeskip

- There are two exceptions to that, Lorenz in BL and Ashe in GD, for those two you have to face them as foes before you can have them back in your team

- There's a last exception which is Lysithea exlusively in Crimson Flower, if you beat her with Byleth (and I suppose Edelgard as well) you get the option to recruit her REGARDLESS of ANY condition (you don't need to have recruited her in school, you don't need a support level, you don't need any weapon rank nor stat)

- If you recruited her in the school phase this doesn't happen, you'll face a random gremory instead and she'll be with you from the start (note that recruiting her after the timeskip gives some exclusive dialogue/hindsight).

Hope this summarizes it.

Edited by timon

8 hours ago, timon said:

- There are two exceptions to that, Lorenz in BL and Ashe in GD, for those two you have to face them as foes before you can have them back in your team

For these two, does it matter who defeats them as enemies?

Edited by Diffuse

I can definitely confirm that I've recruited Lorenz even though Byleth wasn't the one that killed him in the map with the Blue Lion ; as Byleth was dealing with the other side of the map. There must be other conditions ; but which one..I wonder. I'll try again in other playthroughs. 

And yeah, I didn't have Lysithea before the timeskip in my Black Eagle playthrough so I just assumed she left too after the timeskip, but it seems I was wrong as she is a special case like it was already said.

It's weird though that peoples didn't have the recruit option if the character wasn't killed by Byleth; yet I did have the option while dealing with Lorenz even if it was someone else. It was either Dedue or Dimitri that finished him, I have the feeling it was Dedue but can't be totally sure.

Edited by Metakirby

On 8/19/2019 at 10:04 AM, Florete said:

Don't know about the others, but on my Black Eagles run Lysithea never left my team.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:15 AM, Hekselka said:

Same.

I think Lysithea is a special case?

On 8/19/2019 at 11:22 AM, Troykv said:

I think so; she has special interactions if you recruit her as a enemy.

I think probably if Lysithea and Edelgard have high support, she doesn't leave the team. 

because at A support I remember she tells edelgard that she wants to help her.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:59 AM, timon said:

This applies to the silver snow route as well.

On 8/25/2019 at 9:33 AM, Ryan said:

I think probably if Lysithea and Edelgard have high support, she doesn't leave the team. because at A support I remember she tells edelgard that she wants to help her.

Only Flayn leaves in the crimsom flower route, and you cannot get her back.

On 8/18/2019 at 9:04 PM, Crysta said:

Yeah my experience contradicts that. Is this information on the website?

What specifically happened in your experience.

I finished Lysithea with Byleth on BE and got the option to spare her. I had not recruited her prior to the timeskip. However, I did have a C support with her. I also know that if you recruit anyone prior to the time skip, with the exception of Flayn (and Seteth, if he can even join you at all in the BE route) they stay with you.

The Flayn thing eclipse posted is also true.

Edited by De Geso

On 8/18/2019 at 6:12 PM, Metakirby said:

Lysithea is the exception here. On Crimson Flower she is with you from the getgo if you recruited her pre-timeskip.

Edited by bufkus

6 hours ago, De Geso said:

What specifically happened in your experience.

I finished Lysithea with Byleth on BE and got the option to spare her. I had not recruited her prior to the timeskip. However, I did have a C support with her. I also know that if you recruit anyone prior to the time skip, with the exception of Flayn (and Seteth, if he can even join you at all in the BE route) they stay with you.

The Flayn thing eclipse posted is also true.

Like I said earlier in the topic, I could not spare Lorenz after I offed him with Byleth in BL.

I theorize that this is because I did not recruit him before. Everyone seems to be spreading misinformation because they assume if it works on Lysithea it must work on Ashe and Lorenz, when it doesn't. I've asked for the source everyone got this from but they haven't provided it lol.

Edited by Crysta