i just blew a bunch of money on the new switch what games do i get

Roxas

don't get that weird fire emblem game, that game's for nerds

Fire Emblem aside, Smash, Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are the big no-brainers.

Out now:

• If you're into JRPGs, Ys VIII is a solid action JRPG, and Octopath Traveler is a good old-school JRPG. I'm not a big fan of the Xenoblade, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 seems pretty well liked for people who do dig that series. The Mana Collection is also a good set of JRPGs, though $40 is a bit steep for 3 25+ year old games.
  • Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2 are addictive and engrossing time wasters. Fire Emblem Warriors is also a solid time wasting spinoff of a big franchise, coming from somebody who doesn't typically like Musou games.
  • Bayonetta 1 and 2 are fun action games for a system that didn't get Devil May Cry 5.
  • Splatoon 2 is apparently pretty good, though I don't have much experience with the series.

Coming soon:

• Astral Chain is coming out in a week and a half for more Platinum action goodness.
  • Daemon X Machina is an Armored Core-esque mech game that's 4 weeks away. The demo was good, and the devs seem pretty committed to making it a great, accessible mech game.
  • Dragon Quest XI is coming out for the Switch next month, too. It's already a great JRPG, and the Switch version is looking like the definitive version.
  • Link's Awakening is a classic Zelda that's being remade. Comes out next month, in between Daemon X Machina and DQXI.
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 comes out on Halloween, and is going back to the LM1 style of gameplay. Looks fun.
  • Langrisser 1 and 2 are also being remade for the Switch and come out early next year as a bundle.

Conclusion: The Switch has too many games.

Edited by Slumber

It's ok, I got(???????????) a new job and I'm studying at night and yet I bought Three Houses and a Switch.

... I guess recommending Three Houses is a given.

Otherwise, wait for Friends of Mineral Town Remake and Rune Factory 5, if they're your type of games.

8 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Rune Factory 5, if they're your type of games.

YO????????????????????????????????????

9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Fire Emblem aside, Smash, Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are the big no-brainers.

debating getting one of botw or odyssey because i feel like if i get both then i won't finish either lol
also xd ps4 privilege i slaughtered dmc5 in like a week

and yes!!!!!! astral chain is on my list because platinum is platinum 

Edited by Roxas

43 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

...But the Switch Lite doesn't come out until September I thought? How do you already have one?

its the one that came out last week with the upgraded battery life! model HAC-001(-01)

38 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Is that med school?  Might want to hold off on loading up on the games for now.

h a  h

Just now, Rezzy said:

Sorry, I don't know if that's a yes or a no, was just going by your member title.

yes but im just a bad student

Edited by Roxas

My love of free time is the reason I decided to not go to med school, despite having an amazing degree to go into med school with.

Also I'm lazy and don't want to study for more tests.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Daemon X Machina is an Armored Core-esque mech game that's 4 weeks away. The demo was good, and the devs seem pretty committed to making it a great, accessible mech game.

Weird, all I hear is "The DEMO WAS BAD! HYPE DEAD NO BUY! THIS GAME IS DOOMED TO FAIL!". Even though the devs said the demo was intended as a beta or alpha, intended to get feedback on what needed improve the game, it's not supposed to be the finished product.

I'm interested in seeing what reviews the game will get. I'm expecting 7-8s, which for me is "Good if you're into it.". Specifics will be bad plot, nothing special music, good gameplay, aesthetics depend on your tastes. The 7-8 range means people will be calling it a failure, despite it not being bad, but sales won't be great. This said, I'm hoping the game does well, and I might consider getting it eventually.

Astral Chain seems to be getting a lot of developer info and game material shown off right now, I'd be more optimistic in its sales expectations.

1 hour ago, Roxas said:

debating getting one of botw or odyssey because i feel like if i get both then i won't finish either lol
also xd ps4 privilege i slaughtered dmc5 in like a week

I'd pick SMO over BotW myself. BotW is nice, but a little empty. SMO is snappier and could probably be finished in a shorter time if you don't rush to Ganon in BotW (which a newbie to the game likely won't). And by "finish", I mean see the ending. Getting all the Power Moons has a small chance of taking longer than BotW 100%, but I doubt it, particularly if you like putting spikes to your backside and try collecting all the Korok Seeds.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Weird, all I hear is "The DEMO WAS BAD! HYPE DEAD NO BUY! THIS GAME IS DOOMED TO FAIL!". Even though the devs said the demo was intended as a beta or alpha, intended to get feedback on what needed improve the game, it's not supposed to be the finished product.

I'm interested in seeing what reviews the game will get. I'm expecting 7-8s, which for me is "Good if you're into it.". Specifics will be bad plot, nothing special music, good gameplay, aesthetics depend on your tastes. The 7-8 range means people will be calling it a failure, despite it not being bad, but sales won't be great. This said, I'm hoping the game does well, and I might consider getting it eventually.

Astral Chain seems to be getting a lot of developer info and game material shown off right now, I'd be more optimistic in its sales expectations.

The people I've talked with have all felt mostly positive towards the demo, with most citing a lot of QoL issues, which were then directly addressed in the trailer they dropped last month. But idk.

I also see it in the 7-8 range, maybe low-80s if the extra polish is enough. It is a pretty niche game. I hope it does well in sales, assuming the game turns out well... but it's releasing on the same day as Borderlands 3, which is a pretty big game. Its only saving grace is that I doubt there's much overlap with DXM's target audience and BL3's.

And yeah, Platinum's cemented itself as a developer in the last few years, so I think AC will do fine.

This should go into General Gaming--

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Get Super Robot Wars T. Can't go wrong with a SRW game, I'd say.

WAIT WHAT REALLY?!  After I'm done with 3H, this is next on my list!

8 hours ago, eclipse said:

This should go into General Gaming--

WHENS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW ME POST OUTSIDE OF THE FE4THREAD

11 hours ago, Lysithea said:

Xenoblade Chronicles had been my favorite Switch game before Three Houses came out. Great story, great characters, nice gameplay and the battle system is not that hard to understand. 

is it a big deal if I haven't played the first one?

I have it for n3ds but idk man the combat just didn't gel with me

Edited by Roxas

While I haven't actually played this, maybe the Final Fantasy 12 remaster? Apparently that game has got a lot of politics involved similar to some of the better Fire Emblem games. I'm thinking about that with Valkyria Chronicles, Sakura Wars, and Persona 5 Scramble should I get a Switch.

Edited by henrymidfields

1 hour ago, Roxas said:

Is it a big deal if I haven't played the first one?

I have it for n3ds but idk man the combat just didn't gel with me

Neither I have. 

You do not have to play the first part because they are unconnected story wise and their battle system is different too. 

10 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

While I haven't actually played this, maybe the Final Fantasy 12 remaster? Apparently that game has got a lot of politics involved similar to some of the better Fire Emblem games.

haha i actually played this all summer after graduation cause it came out on ps4 a while ago!! such a good game!!

10 hours ago, Lysithea said:

Neither I have. 

You do not have to play the first part because they are unconnected story wise and their battle system is different too. 

Ooo ok I'll look into it thanks!!!